March 9th, 2009

A Tax on Bikes?

It's hard to believe, but Oregonian officials are considering a new bill to tax people who ride bikes.  Call it a way to fund bike lanes; call it a sign of tough economic times...  But don't call it likely to become law without a fight:  There are too many people who enjoy riding their bikes for free, and it would be tough to get them to agree to a $54 charge to pedal.

Now you probably don't need to worry about this even if it does pass.  It would only apply to Oregonians ages 18 and older who ride on highways.  So if you're taking back roads or bike paths to school, you wouldn't need the sticker.

But it still makes you think about some of the ideas that lawmakers come up with to pay for projects.  You usually have to pay tax when you buy a bike.  Would you be willing to pay an additional tax, if doing so meant safer roads and better bike lanes?  Or do you like the way things are, with riding tax-free?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Kali

I live in Oregon, and that is utterly absurd. I don't agree. We can't take anymore financial problems.

March 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Sebastian

I prefer riding tax-free, because I am not paying no money just because i want to ride my bike.

March 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Mark

I think that this is just another way for the government to get money. I would prefer the free riding though, because you are paying only for riding on highways. What if you use back roads, and are only on highways for a short time each day? And what if you rarely go on highways? It's a good thing you only have to pay $54 every two years.
    My town has a license that you get for free. It's not required but recommended because they use it if your bike gets stolen. Now it will be $54. Oh well... good thing I'm under 18; I like riding my bike.

March 9, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  4. Jerika

Thats crazy... we get taxed on buying the bikes and those are expencive enough.

March 9, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  5. jenny

that is a smart way to make money but i think its unfair. If the economy was'nt have such a hard time right now i bet that idea would'nt have even crossed their minds. I think bike riders are fine just the way things are right now.
    -jenny

March 9, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  6. Mandy

I like the way things are. The government shouldn't add an additional burden to those who've gone green. Bikers have taken away an important part of their lives- cars – and they're already sacrificing enough. Bikers just want to help keep the Earth clean, and they shouldn't have to pay for doing that.

March 10, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  7. maddy

im a 14 year old that lives in Oregon and thats so stupid. people are just trying to find more ways to make or should i say take peoples money. If it goes through its going to suck for college kids that dont have a car.

March 10, 2009 at 12:24 am |
  8. Rei

Lawmakers should tax car-drivers, not bicycle-riders because a bike is more friendly to the environment than a car. Most people worry about a climate change and know automobile emissions are major causes. Why do they try to prevent people from riding their bicycle?

March 10, 2009 at 1:48 am |
  9. Dave

$54 to ride a bike its goverment going way too far

March 10, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  10. Xavier

Carl. If that law is passed all around the U.S., I'm going outta here.

Really, if you pay 54$ for a bike in two years, what would happen to people who LIVE on bikes? Carl, According to this crazy law family of five who own bikes by every each members of the family and all is over 18, they have to pay 270$ just to pay off ownership of their bikes! And we can use that money to feed 1000 hungry childrens in Africa.(This is not a scientific and correct guess. It is prohibited to be used as public data.)

Just how much these Oregonian-Insanians can go?

March 10, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  11. Xavier

No offences to the citizens of the state of Oregon. The satire is for your state Senators.

March 10, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  12. Mikayla

Even though they need the tax, the government should not pass this law. Many are enjoying their bikes, and this tax might even discourage them (a bit)

March 10, 2009 at 4:23 am |
  13. Hannnah-Liz

What! taxes on bikes!!!
    hmmm... paying taxes won't encourage riding bikes-which we need to do.
    i wouldn't want to pay because there will be lots of people NOT paying the tax.
    while you have to pay insurance for cars, you don't need to for a bike.
    Why tax bikes???
    some people will have difficulties,anyway
    i say boo for this moo

March 10, 2009 at 4:27 am |
  14. May

I would rather pay the tax for riding a bike on highways. Better safe than sorry.^^

March 10, 2009 at 4:55 am |
  15. Arya

I don't agree on this paying tax thing.
    First of all if you ride bicycles rather than ride a car it would mean less air polution. If they had to pay taxes for riding, fewer people would ride a bicycle. Why should they bother?
    Secondly there are people who enjoy riding a bike very much. Who rides almost all the time on roads. There are peoples who go on a bike trip. They have a right to do that. People shouldn't just take away their rights.

March 10, 2009 at 5:01 am |
  16. Juny

I don't think it's a good idea to tax on bikes. Many people ride bikes nowadays, and there will be great dissent on the taxation. Also, riding a bike doesn't harm the environment unlike cars, and if the government tries to tax $54 on people who ride a bicycle lesser people will ride a bike as a means of transportation. As a result, the environment might be destructed even more!

March 10, 2009 at 7:33 am |
  17. tammie

i think that we should not have to opay to ride a bike. if we dont have a car or were not on a bus that means we might not have the moeny and that means we are riding a bike

March 10, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  18. Tiffany

Well, if I could have safer roads and better bike lanes, I'll be willing to pay some money. But if the price gets too high, I won't. I think it's fair enough.

March 10, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  19. Christina

Hi Carl,

First of all, I think that riding bikes on roads in very dangerous. My best friend was killed while riding her bike. I think a lot of people rely on their bikes for transportation, and they are already paying taxes to maintain the roads, and you shouldn’t put a load on these people, who are barley making ends meet.

March 10, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  20. Erin

I dont think it is fair to tax bike riders becasue they pay taxes for the road too and they are helping the enviornment.

March 10, 2009 at 8:02 am |
  21. James

I don't thing that the Government should tax people who ride bikes because if some people depend on bikes then they might not be able to get around and they might lose their jobs (if they have any) and that would increase the the unemployment rate because these people can't get to work.

March 10, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  22. Visa

Biking is good for the enviroment and keeps you fit. I do not see a reason to put a tax on people who help themselves.

March 10, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  23. Katie

I think that it would be necessary for a biker to pay the fifty four dollars charge for pedaling because bike lanes are needed on the roads and it is dangerous to bike on this big highways so bike lanes would be very smart.

March 10, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  24. Caroline

I think they should have a tax on bikes because it would be great if they could build safe places for the bikes to ride beside on the street.

March 10, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  25. Lizzie

Bikers should not be taxed on riding bikeds because it should be a free past time of good excerise and green transportation.

March 10, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  26. Mr. T

I don't think that the bill should pass, because some people have to ride bikes every day. If the bill is passed, some will be deeply upset, like me. My mom and I love to ride bikes all the time on trails and on the road. You could probably guess that we don't want to be fined. The recession has really gone into that thick head of Congress. To everyone out there: if some people can't afford a car, they have to ride a bike; and then they can't afford a bike. Gosh, I hate tax season. Oh, wait a minute, there's only 2 seasons. A tax season, and an expensive tax season. My regards to Carl.

March 10, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  27. Sana

I don't think this tax for bikers on the highway is nice. I mean, the bikers are trying to save this world. They use bikes instead of cars, they're trying to be nice to the economy, saving money, saving themselves from getting broke by paying too many bills. And, if they put a tax on those bikers, that just wouldn't be nice. They should have the right to ride their bikes on the highway for free, just like they can do if they go on trails or back roads. Then, they still will be spending their money, which is probably what they do not want to do, but they still are going green... I think...! but it is not fair what they are doing. So all I am saying is... IT IS NOT RIGHT!

March 10, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  28. Divya

I wouldn't like to pay a tax if i were living in Oregon and had a bike. I think that paying a tax to ride a bike is a little bit unfair to those who are making an effort to save our enviroment or to save money. I would try to make another way to make the roads safer to ride on, not by taxing bikers.

March 10, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  29. Emma

I think it's unfair to put a tax on bikes. Bikes are some peoples life and they can't afford to pay a tax on their only transportation. And what happens if you occasionaly ride a bike, you wouldn't want to pay a tax for a two-year deal! I like it just the way it is, and maybe they could try to do something else to help pay for safety for bike riders.

p.s.- thanks carl for all your great shows [:

March 10, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  30. Anonymous

Bike-riders are not only doing good for themselves by burning some calories but they are also doing a good job in helping the environment. With all the pollution the average car brings, why tax an eco-friendly bike-rider? I believe this is unfair for the bike-riders out there who ride thier bike for themselves, and for the polluted world.

March 10, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  31. Laura

Ok taxing people because they ride their bikes? Sounds alittle crazy! I think it is a bad idea because, these people are riding for their health, so they can lower their dependency on a machine (car) and they are riding to help the enviroment. If we tax these people, then they are going to stop riding their bikes and walk or take their car. If people are trying to help the enviroment and we start taxing them it will seem bad because this is a major problem and we cannot let or government pass this bill. Also they are riding for their health, so if we tax them for riding a bike instead of driving their car it will send another bad image. If we as a country are trying to improve the average weight of a citizen and people then started to ride their bike to improve their health while also getting around town and we started taxing those people it would get the wrong idea because we are taxing them for helping do their part in being physically fit.

March 10, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  32. Aimee

Tax on bikes? That's downright wrong!

March 10, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  33. Jo

A tax on bikes? That's just crazy! Those Oregonians are only taxing wanting to tax people for bikes because they're probably affected badly because of the Economy and are trying to make a little more money, but if that's true what about the people who have bikes, people don't need to owe any MORE money!

March 10, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  34. Anthony

I think that a tax on bikes is a tax that is no necessary. People that use bikes as an alternative transportation should not be penalized to do something that helps the environment. They already pay a tax for the roads, why should they have to pay again.

March 10, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  35. Abby

How long have people been riding for free in Oregon? If you put a charge on bike riding people won't ride any more ,which could possibly lead to obesity

March 10, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  36. Stephen

I like this idea because it gives people a safe passadge to work and where ever they need to go around town, with out getting worried about being run over.

March 10, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  37. bobbie

That is so wrong! It is really for the enviornment and they pay taxes! Tecnically in the tax money they pay, it is already paid for.

March 10, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  38. Curtis

Why should there be a tax on cycling? the poeple who are cycling are trying to make the world greener by not using gas. why should they be taxed when they try to help the world?

March 10, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  39. Gabi

I think that having a $54 tax is no big deal. You only have to pay it every two years and if that means safer roads and better bike lanes then it is for the better. I know I would pay it.

March 10, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  40. Veronica

It is only $54 dollars every two years. Besides all of the bicycle tax is going to safer, better bike lanes for the bikers. It would just be all the bicycleists chipping in for safer bike rides.

March 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  41. Erin

I dont think that the tax is a huge deal, I mean $54 every two years isn't that bad. It will mean safer biking places and maybe if that happened more people would start biking and would cut down on pullotion. Also more people could get exercise.

March 10, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  42. Jake

Bike riders shouldn't have to pay to ride their bikes.... if they are already paying why should they pay more? I wouldn't want to pay just to get some excercise. I would feel cheated! This law is just ridiculous, it makes me wonder what will be next... Paying to take a walk in the park?????

March 10, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  43. balirox3

I think this is good because it will help get safer riding area for bikers and it will fund new bike trails, bike lanes and bike safety areas.

March 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  44. Mitch

People who are being environmentally-friendly by riding bicycles should not be the ones paying extra money. People who can afford big SUV's should be the ones paying!

March 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  45. Rudy

Since i am not old enough to buy a car yet, i ride my bike to go places. If I had to pay taxes for my bike, I would have to stop riding and won't be able to go anywhere.

March 10, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  46. Chris

I think that stem cell research is a good thing.

March 10, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  47. Chris

I think the tax on riding bikes of you are over 18 is wrong, if they tax people may not pay cause they don't believe in it.

March 10, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  48. Adam

A tax for riding bikes? It's a good thing Lance Armstrong's rich! I just don't see why people should be taxed just for riding bikes. They're better for the environment than driving. Why should people be taxed for cycling?

March 10, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  49. John

I would never want to pay taxes just to ride my bike somewhere. It is an exercise, more green friendly and doesn't cost anything...for now. Everyone should have the right to ride there bike without opening there wallet first. Thats just my opinion.

March 10, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  50. Justin

I think if there were taxes on bikes it wouldnt be fair. Some people ride bikes because they cant afford a car, but if there being charged to ride a bike thats just wrong.

March 10, 2009 at 9:59 am |
  51. Alex

I don't agree with taxes on bikes because people are just trying to get exercise or heip save the environment.

March 10, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  52. Rath [*U*]

we should not have a tax on riding bikes. it is outrageous. riding a bike is good for the atmosphere and us, and should be as much of a choice as walking.

March 10, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  53. Drew

I think that having to pay to ride your bike is not cool at all because I would not like to pay to have to my bike.

March 10, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  54. Ellen

I don't think bikers should be taxed. They are taking a step to help the environment and live healthier. And with our economy, most people can't afford a car or gas and they have no choice but to ride a bike or walk. If they can't afford a car and can barely afford to pay taxes, what makes you think they can afford to pay yet another tax for something we are all encouraged to do?

March 10, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  55. Daniella

I love riding my bike, but even though I'm still 13, I don't find this law fair. People who ride bikes a getting good exercise and should be able to enjoy a bike ride without having to pay for it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  56. Jacob

This should be implemented to at least some bikers because it is only giving money to help themselves and $54 per two years isn't so much. If somebody doesn't have enough money however then they shouldn't be taxed

March 10, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  57. Sophie

I think that not being taxed to ride bikes on the road should be their benefit for helping the environment. Taxing bikers might also encourage car drivers to keep driving cars. I think it's a bad idea!

March 10, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  58. Hamdan

I think that this bill is pointless and is just wasting the riders money. If i were 18 or older and i was one of the riders i would like a safer road only for riders but if they do no put a lane only for bike riders i would not use my bike until the bill has expired,or i might as well sell my bike.

March 10, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  59. Jonathan

I don't think it is that good of an idea because most people have to get a nice expensive bike. So they wouldn't want to pay for the bike then have to pay $52 dollars to ride it riding a bike should be free. Because it isn't using any gas or oil its just running on will power. I think they should find some other way to get money.

March 10, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  60. Jenny

I think a tax on bikes is ridiculous! We need to encourage bike riding as a way of alternate transportation, not tax people!

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  61. Nick

Wow! This is very sad i think. People are trying to save our world and they are going to make them pay. I think they should should just keep it as it is.

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  62. Tom

I think this is crazy my mom and dad just got new bikes to try to go green and stay healthy and I know there not going to want to pay this tax if they already pay a tax for the roads.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  63. Sam

I think that this is just wrong, you shouldn't be taxed for helping out the environment and getting some exercise.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  64. Jason

The new bill that taxes people to ride their bikes on the road would be a pretty stupid idea to pass. It might be a stupid bill, but the amount of money that you have to pay over the course of 2 years isn't that much you could pay a dollar a day and still have money to spare.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  65. Ryan

Hey Carl,

I think the tax on bikes is ridiculous. People are trying to go green and they are being taxed for it. This bill is bad and should not be passed.

March 10, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  66. Sean

This may be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. In this time of energy conservation if anything they should be getting a tax break. We are entering a green age and riding a bicycle is one of the few ways to not use any gasoline.

March 10, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  67. Griffin

In my opinion, that's a crazy idea. It just doesn't make since to tax bike-riding. This could really make people deprived of their chances to enjoy the outdoors and ride around. And if the law is passed, then many people who ride bikes for exercise may not be able to anymore. This could end up being a very discouraging bill.

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  68. L.K.S.

I think the taxes are stupid.

March 10, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  69. coleman

i think it is a good idea so u dont have a lot of bikers everywhere.

March 10, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  70. ryan

I really don't think they should make people pay taxes for riding a bike on the roads. Bikers are not using gas or anything like cars do, so why pay for it!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  71. coleman

i think it should be illegal to ride bikes on the road. so wrecks are prevented and that they should only be road on the traks or in neighborhoods.

March 10, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  72. Katie

I think that charging $54 every other year is not a bad thing and it is ok

March 10, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  73. Nick

i don't think that they should make a tax on bikes. it's crazy!

March 10, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  74. Joshua

I think that this bill will not be accepted by the people. Many will find that this is a punishment, I do agree that $54 every two years is not that to bad of a charge but it will be an inconvinence on thoes who must have to take the highway to get to work, to save money, or if they are going green.

March 10, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  75. Jordan

No way they should not pay @ all!! do cars pay 2 drive on public roads?? N0!

March 10, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  76. Cassidy and Bailey

Dear CNN student news,

We think that they should pay taxes on the bikes and roads. Also, it would make it more safe because the roads would have a side, just for bikes. They should pay taxes on bikes and roads because they are also using and ridng the roads for transportation. The taxes shouldn't be as high as the others but to still have them!

Sincerly,
    Cassidy and Bailey

March 10, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  77. Collins and Scott

I think $54 every two years would be ok... At least its not every month or week... And if u can afford a bike hopefully you can have $54 dollars at the end of two years... You would have to save $2.25 a month to be able to pay $54 at the end of two years.

March 10, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  78. Haylea and Natalie

We think that it is not nessacary to put a tax on bikes. We just don't see the point at all.

March 10, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  79. Jessiem

It's not fair to tax bikers on highways, especially if there are no bike trails in the area. It should be FREE TO GO GREEN.

March 10, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  80. Spencert

For many people, riding bikes is the only alternative to transportation because they can't afford a car. Making them pay a fee defeats the purpose.

March 10, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  81. Haylea and Natalie

We think that it's not nessasary to put a tax on bikes. We just don't see the point at all. There's taxes on alot of things already so there isn't any point putting taxes on something you don't need to put taxes on.

March 10, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  82. Cassaundra

Putting a tax on bikes would be selfish. The people riding them either ride them as a only transportation source and some ride bikes as a hobby. There is no reason to put a tax on them when they already buy items with taxes which pays for the road. I say no tax.

March 10, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  83. Cheyenne

I thing that is insane because they are already doing stuff to help the earth to not pollute it if they are riding a bike so why make them pay for a good deed. it kindof does make sense though

March 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  84. Bill

I don't think that they should put taxes on riding bikes, we're already paying too much on other things.

March 10, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  85. Bill

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  86. Bill

TOO MUCH TAXES!!!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  87. caleb

I THINK THAT PUTTING TAXES ON BIKE IS OUTRAEGOUS!!!! 🙂

March 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  88. Bill

We're going to be poor.

March 10, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  89. Adam

I think it is very wrong! Why can't we ride our bikes for free. I ride my bike ALL the time and I don't want to pay a tax to ride it!!

March 10, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  90. Bailey K

Taxes on bikes is dumb to charge people for riding a bike it is I meen I know that it puts money on other projects ,but it is still dumb to do to people love to ride bikes they love to ride there bikes.

March 10, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  91. Nathan

i think people should ride for free. i think its dumb if they have to pay to ride if they do tax bikes then they should get more rights on the road.

March 10, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  92. Kenny

Hey ;] my name is Kenny. I don't think the tax is necessary. Even though it drives me crazy when bikers are on the main road, the tax is not needed.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  93. Hector

i think that taxing on bicycles is wrong because it will reduce the number of people that use bikes therefor, redusing bussinus for bike shop owners.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  94. Richie

I think that tax’s on a bike in ridiculous. I myself ride a bike, but not enough to pay a fee. So with this trying to come into action, I feel that some might think that it can be a help, but others will agree with me.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  95. Laura

I think that if people ride there bikes everyday and that is there only form of transportation than they should have to pay the $54 but if people just ride there bick sometimes and they have a different form of transportation that they get around with than they shouldn't be taxed.

March 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  96. Sammie

I think it is just wrong to tax people who ride bikes. Some people who can't afford cars depend on their bikes to get them around. If they can't afford cars they might not really want to pay to ride their bikes even if they only pay a little amount of money.

March 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  97. Devin

i think it would be rediculous to make bicycle riders pay taxes to be able to ride there bikes. They should be able to ride them on side walks like it originally was. Sure it makes sence that if they wanted better bicycle lanes or more bicycle safety to make them pay for it. but not every rider could affored to pay the tax. That could be the reason why they are even riding their bike every where in the first place.
    the government should not find random ways to tax people to make money.

March 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  98. Courtney

They shouldnt tax people who ride their bikes because there are homeless people that ride their bikes for everyday transportation. Even people that arent homeless but they dont have enough money to buy a car ride bikes. So they shouldnt tax it because its not right. You have a freedom for a reason, and ride bikes w/o having to worry about a taxation.

March 10, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  99. Marie

I think that it is wrong to tax people who ride bikes. There the ones that are helping the environment and not creating more green house gases. I think that instead of taxing them for money they should just use some of the money in the budget to make better paths and places for them to go.

March 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  100. Madi

I think that bike-riders should NOT be taxed! People rely on their bikes to get around! They are also helping the environment, by not driving cars, and it's healthy!

March 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  101. Alissa

I don't think it's very smart to tax people who ride bikes. If people start getting taxed then less people will ride bikes and start riding in cars again, wich is bad for the environment.

March 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  102. Leanna

Um, the only reason people ride bikes is to save money but if they get charged for that then there is really no reason to ride a bike in the first place, right?

March 10, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  103. kylee

i think they should not be taxed because there keeping themselves healthy and the y are not polluting are air so they arent harming anyone

March 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  104. Jen Jen

Well, I think that, if the Oregonian officials are taxing people for riding on the roads, it might convince the people who are getting taxed to stop riding thier bikes on the roads, which might keep the bikers from getting run over.

March 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  105. valerie

I think the taxing on bikes is dumb. they shoudnt do that because it is one free transportion

March 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  106. Clare

That is dumb because you already have to pay for the bike, taxes, and also they mostlikely they will not want to pay a fee of $54!!!! I would not pay it!

March 10, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  107. amy

i think they should not tax bikes because some people who have bikes are homeless and have no money

March 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  108. Bailey

I dont think you should have to pay to ride your bike on the highway.The reason being is because your already paying for the road taxes anyway.You should have to pay extra just to ride a bike.
    You shouldnt have to regester your bike cause what if you have a couple of them?Than you wouldnt have to pay alot..

March 10, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  109. Ms. Keller

I think taxing the bicyclist is fine to increase the safety. We all pay a base tax, but in addition, according to our hobbies, we pay additional fees, such as fishing, boating, hunting, and driver's licenses.

March 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  110. Anthony

I don't think it is cool paying to ride your bike because I ride my bike to the lake I live next to and i don't think it would be cool paying for taxes because I wouldn't be able to pay for it either.

March 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  111. Teacher Lopez's class East Mesa Juvenile Detention facility

One student thihks it is a stupid idea because paying taxes for a bike seems ridiculous. Others say they will just ride tricycles and scooters to avoid the tax. You should not have to pay to stay fit and to save money. We should not be taxed for trying to reduce pollution. One student says a tax like that just gives people reasons to steal cars. Overall no one likes the taz.

March 10, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  112. Jonate1881

It's stupid. in our national anthem, it says O'er the land of the FREE. we should be free to ride bikes.

March 10, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  113. S@die

I don't think they should pay taxes to rid there bikes.

March 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  114. JAKE

I think its dumb that people should have to pay to ride there bikes on the road. Its not like there using gas or anything and there not taking up anymore space then any other car or motorcycle! WHY is there so many rules/laws these days!

March 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  115. kong

why should people have to pay to bike. it's already bad enough they have peddle. it's like paying the government to be able to go workout.

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  116. Benjamin

This is suppose to be a free country so If I was old enough to pay I would not pay.

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  117. Nicholas

I think the is not right. My step mom makes me ride my bike down the gas station all the time to get her pop. I would hate it if I had to register for me to be able to ride my bike then I couldn't go any where.

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  118. James

I think that is so not right because people are already helping out the envirnment by not driving there cars and now there getting charged just to help out with Global warming

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  119. mike

I theik it is stuped to have bike riter pay to ride

March 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  120. moncia

NO way would i pay to ride my bike because i live in American so oh

March 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  121. Travis!!!

This is not fair. People who ride bikes are not driving car which pollutes the earth.

March 10, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  122. Alyssa

I think that paying money to ride bikes on roads could be a bad thing and a good thing. It could be bad because people that can't afford the costs are going to lose a lot of money and not be able to ride their bike to get to work and have to find another way, but it's good because the money is for more safety on the roads.

March 10, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  123. david

i think thats stupid because there helping the evirment and the goverment is taxing them thats not common sence which is what we need

March 10, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  124. Brittany

thats not right they shoud not have to pay to ride there bikes.

March 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  125. Justin

I think it is not right tax on Bikes they are helping save our plant and the people in the cars ore just putting it to wast they should make on earth day you have to rid your every where

March 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  126. Cailie

I think that is so dumb that they are taxing people to ride there bikes. In this economy people are having to bike to get to work . Making them pay to ride there bikes is so dumb. If they want to be healthy ket them.

March 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  127. John

No way I would pay to ride my bike in the and I do it any way.

March 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  128. Danielle

I think that it is stupid to ay taxes on your bike..... And that i think that if i had to pay taxes on my bike then everybody would get fat and obesity and people would get fatter than they don't need to get fat............. ?¿

March 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  129. Tyson

Bicycling is the one way people can get around in this world without government influence on taxes. We shouldn't have to pay for that!

March 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  130. Laura

I think the proposed tax is silly. The cyclists are not only helping the envornment, but making themselves healthier while doing so.

March 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  131. Jakob

It's wrong to tax people who ride bikes on the road. They're just trying to go green.

March 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  132. Ian

It's wrong to tax people on their bikes. Obama is just going to make the econemy worse. Where is he going to get all this money for the stimulus package. "OUR TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

March 10, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  133. joshua

i think that is very wrong because people should have the right to ride a bike you aren't using any gas you are pedaling with your feet. Also some people don't have enough money to buy a car so they get a bike with the money that they have and they might not have that kind of money to pay that bill for riding a bike. They might have to use that money for more important things like food, liquids, and many other important materials

March 10, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  134. Jordan

Personally, I feel as though making bike riders pay taxes is completely unnecessary. If someone is choosing to ride their bike rather then drive a car, they might be trying to save the environment by not polluting the air, or maybe some just can’t afford to drive, either way, making people pay to ride their bikes as a means of transportation is just asinine.

March 10, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  135. Joel

Why would you want to tax bikers? I understand that people ride bikes all the time for fun but what about the people whose only form of transportation is a bike. Why should they have to pay taxes to ride to work? The tax would be ridiculous and no one will let it go.

March 10, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  136. Andrea

I don’t think that it is necessary for people to start taxing bickers we have never had a problem with it before and I don’t think that we should start now.

March 10, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  137. ty

I believe that people should not get taxed for riding their bikes on the road their allready getting taxed for having the roads there.

March 10, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  138. Madi

I think it is uneccessary and ridiculous to charge people who ride bikes because they are helping hte enviroment and staying healthy. Its like making people pay for doing something good...

March 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  139. James

I think that this is a very bad law. I can understand the point, but less people would bike and think about the people who bike just for fun, or as their transportation method instead of a hobby. They either can't have fun or are forced to pay the fee, because you have to get to work.

March 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  140. Caleb and Heath

We think that having to pay taxes for riding a bike on the roads is a bad idea because not as many people will want to ride their bikes anymore.

March 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  141. Micayla & Heather

We think putting taxes on the bikes are good and bad. One reason it is good because it builds bike lanes and it is more safer. The bad thing is people might not have the money to pay.

March 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  142. bob

I think it is stupid pay taxes for ridding your bike around....People would get fat because they wouldn't want to ride there bike around....

March 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  143. JJ

I think that the taxes on bikes is a very stupid idea. Ithink that people who rides bikes doesn't disserve the taxes that they get for rideing their bikes & that they disserve to be able to ride their bikes on the side of the high way. It's so stupid that you have to pay a tax just so you could ride your bike. I think that if you want to ride your bike go ahead and ride your bike. I think that bikers should have the same right as the people who drive cars.

March 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  144. Anonymous

I think it will make people drive their cars because they will not want to pay the tax.

March 10, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  145. George and Colin

March 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  146. jon

I think there should be taxes on bikes so there would be more places to rike the bike and then longer rides means you can see more places and when there are more roads for bikes less money on gas and oil

March 10, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  147. Israel

I think that puting taxes on bikes riding is not a good idea. Many of people need to pay for more important things like bills, clothes, and food...they should think befor they do?

March 10, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  148. Zamir

i think that putting taxes on bike is outraegous!!!!
    which i dont care cause i dont ride a bike but i think that crazy what the city is doing now.

March 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  149. DorK

I think that like the like tax thing is like really good because like um the people that like bike on the road should like pay taxes like evryone else like you know because that like wouldnt like be fair like ya.

March 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  150. cole

We think that they should pay taxes on the bikes and roads. Also, it would make it more safe because the roads would have a side, just for bikes. They should pay taxes on bikes and roads because they are also using and ridng the roads for transportation. The taxes shouldn’t be as high as the others but to still have them! !

March 10, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  151. Danielle and Kayla

We do not think that the government should tax people that ride their bikes on the highways because what about the people with little or no money that only have their bikes for transportation. If you think about it they have never taxed them before but when more people start riding their bikes the government decides we need more money.

March 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  152. scotty

Yo, no way thats not good because the economy is in bad shape and some people cant pay for the car bills

March 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  153. ira

I do not think we should hav taxes on bikers becouse some people could not aford it,and people would not pay there taxes so they would still rid there bikes

March 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  154. Jenn

i think it's lame to tax people for riding their bikes. I don't know how to ride a bike so this won't effect me but godmom and her daughters ride their bikes all the time and it would totally crush them if they couldn't ride their bikes.

March 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  155. CB

I think a bike tax is a great idea. Bikes use the roads just like cars. They should have taxes and have to follow the road rules just like cars. The world is becoming a "pay" to use place.

March 10, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  156. Stormy and Destiny

Stormy and me dislike the idea of tax on the bikes because they have the same right as people in cars, and what if they depind on the bike to get somewere or to make money.

March 10, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  157. chelsea

I think it a bad ideal because people might not be able to aford it if they aford it case more overweight people and more people go brook they have more pollute air

March 10, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  158. keegan and cassie

we think that there should be no taxes on bike we already have to buy them and buy some stuff for the bikes like helmets and stuff. People do not only use bikes for transportation they also use them for hobies and others things.

keegan
    and
    cassie

March 10, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  159. Paige

In my religion, we are taught that stem cell research is wrong. I feel very strongly against destroying an embryo in the process of healing other people. In my opinion, I think that there are other ways to make people better. I highly disagree with President Obama's idea to sign this agreement.

March 10, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  160. Dana

you should not tax people who happen to want good helath and that would be there only way around!!!

everyone payed for the roads just share them!

March 10, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  161. DorK

its like if u breakm open a eggshell u killed a baby chicken but really u didnt

March 10, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  162. Utau

I could go either way, I mean yes, it seems ridiculous to tax bikers, they’re not polluting with cars and their exercising, but on the other hand if you get safer roads and more bike paths then it could be okay.

March 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  163. SeanBT

I think that taxes on for bike riding is a little bit silly because some people need to ride there bikes because some cant get a car or some need to bust a pound or 2

March 10, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  164. Daniel

Taxing bikers is not very good idea. $15 a year is okay, but $54 is just way to much. This is supposed to help make bike lanes, but it might just make bikers stop biking because of the cost.

March 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  165. Teacher Lopez's class East Mesa Juvenile Detention facility

One student said that he is not going to pay to ride his bike. What if you just want to ride to the park, would you still have to pay? There are a lot of people who ride bikes and probably do not have the money to pay for the tax. This might spread to some other states which would not be good. Most agree that people will just not pay it.

March 10, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  166. Elizabeth

I think it is absolutely ABSURD to have to pay to ride your bike. I mean, you are trying to be eco-friendly or are riding it because you might not have enough money for a car/gas in the first place. Also, does this mean that kids like us would have to pay to ride a bike? Craziness!

March 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  167. shanky

i dont think they should charge anyone to ride their bike on a freeway because parents with kids would pay more! either that or they would have to hire police officers on bikes and trust i doubt they like that!

March 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  168. Austin

This proposed tax is ridiculous. The government in Oregon must not have much to do to have thought of taxing people who ride bikes. If the citizens who ride bikes get hurt then that is there fault, and the riders that aren't stupid and are not careful on their bikes should not be punished for the carelessness of other riders

March 10, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  169. Will

there shoud'nt be a tax on bikes becuase the poeple who are riding the bikes are helping the enviroment by not using gas. they should not be taxed when they are doing something that will help out our planet Earth.

March 10, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  170. Mitch

Paying tax to ride a bike?! I ride my bike all the time in the summer. I wouldnt want to have to pay just to get around! No offense, but who thought of that?

March 10, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  171. Jasmine

Thats not right i mean its like the only way kids who cant drive get around and i dont think there would be lots of happy people or parents if they taxs things like that

March 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  172. Elise

Well i think its a little unnecessary to tax bike riders. I meen really what dont they tax us on??

March 10, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  173. Kartik

That's ridiculous to do something like putting a tax on biking
    Bikers help the environment and they are getting taxed for it?!
    Maybe taxpayer's money should go toward road projects.
    After all, tax payers do pay a lot... and that should be the only thing you have to pay money for!

March 10, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  174. Adam

March 10, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  175. Adam

they shouldnt charge them cause the bikers are helping the enviroment by not using gas or oil so its pretty ridiculous that they would charge money just to ride their bike in the road. Another reason is bikers are trying to save money by biking instead of driving so now they would have to pay either way!!!

March 10, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  176. Jack

Are you serious!?!?!?!?! This is the second dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Heck, it's one thing to pay, like, $200 for a bike. But a tax? Come on, the government has got to find a better way to help our economy. By the way, the dumbest thing I have ever heard of is that psycho-path octumom. If this gets on CNNStudentNews, I get 50 extra credit points from my social studies teacher Mr. Ball.

March 10, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  177. CARLEY12

I think now they are taxie bike but soon they will be taxzie walking!

March 10, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  178. sissy girl

I think now they are taxing bike rider but soon they will be taxes on walking!

March 10, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  179. Carlos

No way.

March 10, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  180. Caiti

I do believe that we should have more bike lanes and more safety for bike riders, but I don't think its right to make them pay that much. Especially people that ONLY ride bikes. That just adds stress.

March 10, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  181. Makenzie and Makinsey

We think that is not right. If the people are willing to get the excersise they shouldn't have to pay for it!!

P.S.
    You never put are comments on your show why?

P.S.S.
    Make a good pun today for my teacher he loves them!!

March 10, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  182. Diva

I think that the people shouldn't get taxed for saving the enviroment and trying to save money. I think that its unfair and that they should find some other fair way to tax people.

March 10, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  183. Kalle

I say it is dumb you shouldn't have to pay taxes just to ride a bike I mean people say they want us to be green by riding bikes or walking places now you have to pay to do that!!

March 10, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  184. Britney

March 10, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  185. Chris

Things are better off by riding tax-free. People shouldn't have to pay a tax especially if they totally depend on their bike for transportation.

March 10, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  186. Asia

I think it is totally fair to tax people who ride bikes on the highway. The rode is for cars and if you want to ride your bike go on a designated rode or park.

March 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  187. Joey

What? A tax on riding bikes? Riding a bike is a great way to save gas and it gets you healthy! NO

March 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  188. Joey 2

TAXES! I HATE TAXES!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  189. Noreen, Audrey, and Anna

We think that people shouldn't have to pay to ride their bikes around. Everything these days costs money, and we don't think you should have to pay now to ride your bike around even if it is on the highway. That should stay free.

March 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  190. Meaghan

I think that they shouldn't have to pay their taxes, they are already paying their share and are being healthy, unlike other folks...

March 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  191. wyatt

I think paying the tax is good its only 58$ a year and they said it is going to improve the safety of the rider and improve the bike trails

March 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  192. Matt

I think it's not right. The economy is bad so some people might not spend the money and they would need to put something on the registered bikes like a sticker. When you ride your bike you're saving the environment too.

March 10, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  193. MR.FIDS CLASS

I THINK THAT PAING $54 IS UNCOOL

March 10, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  194. Dylan

It dosent make any sense! Why should we pay more than we already do? Our economy is already bad and some people dont even want to
    spend 50$ of thier (mostly) hard hard earned cash!

March 10, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  195. Mr. Cmack's student

why should people hafe to pay to; get some exercise, have fun, and take your mind off from stress.

March 10, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  196. ivy

i think it is dumb because i am getting excriseby riding my bike but it going to cost me like 54 dollars i just go to the gym a get on the bicycle machine

March 10, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  197. Bob

I say no tax

March 10, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  198. Derreck

Have to pay taxes to ride a bike?!? When in this bad econemy riding bikes are green! They should help the econemy in this bad situation!

March 10, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  199. Destiney

I don't think it's right to put a tax on bikers. Many people ride bikes because they can't afford a car or just to help the enviroment. So if they are doing as they were asked (to help the envirnment) why make them pay an additional fee?

March 10, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  200. Tonya

NOW YOU CAN'T RIDE YOUR BIKE WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT!!! Is this where they expect to get the money for our nations debts? Do you realise that President B.Obama has spent more money in his 6 weeks of being president than Former President G. Bush spent in his 8 YEARS of being president. Yes I understand that he is "helping our nation" but as an American citizen I expect me,my children, and my childrens children to have a sucessful life. We have the right to our Persuit of Happiness where in that does it say that my children and grandchildren will have to pay for this great debt that President Obama is adding to. Do you realise that people could stop paying there mortgages just so they can get extra money from our government. Also since I'm on the topic of money let me talk about the octo-mom. Do you realise that the state of California is going to have to pay for the welfare of her 14 CHILDREN? You know that she won't be able to pay for all those kids. Especially with her being a single parent. Some mothers have a hard enough time taking care of two children let alone 14.Thats just not the smartest decision on her part being a responsible adult.

March 10, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  201. grace

i don't like that it's a bad idea

March 10, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  202. Trever

I Think It's A Good Idea So It Can Help With The Worsening Econnomy, But I Think It Should Not Be So High.

March 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  203. Hunter

Hmm....Money or the Enviroment. I go with Enviroment. Really, if there's no Earth, there's no money. Very simple.

March 10, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  204. emma

once I'm 18 i don't want to be paying taxes to ride my bike! it's very unfair p.s carl you rock

March 10, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  205. Simon

Saving the environment should be enough of a "tax" to the government. Car owners are the ones who should really be paying, paying to destroy our environment.

March 10, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  206. Ivan

Bikes r expensive enough. Don't tax those. That would just plain suck.

March 10, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  207. Bill

This will make our economy worse.

March 10, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  208. Bill

Riding bikes is so environmentally friendly and it seems stupid to tax someone for doing something good by not using their cars.

March 10, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  209. Brian

Well I personaly do not like the fact that the State of oregan wants to tax cyclist since the bikes are environmentaly friendly; however, I know that the drivers of Colorado have to pay a tax every year for their vehicle on the road( as I am sure that Oregan does as well), and if the state of Oregan wants to use the taxes for for creating bigger bike lanes, then I think that it would be fair and benificial, but if it is just so that cyclist can be taxed every year, then it is not fair.

March 10, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  210. Koushhik

I was thinking that the government shouldn't put a tax on riding bikes. People rely on it to get to their jobs. I also think that they should. If it's for safety though, I think the government should do it.

March 10, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  211. Darcee=)

ok this about the stupidest tax I've ever EVER heard of we not only use bikes for amusement but for exercise and transportation that does not pollute the air and saves gas. they should be encouraging it not taxing it!

March 10, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  212. michaela

people are having anough problems i use to be in bmx and when i want to ride my bike i don't want to pay it is a fun sport and thats not that fair!

March 10, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  213. Janelle

It's not right to tax bikers!!! I mean they went GREEN, they should not have to pay tax, not matter how much!!! Organ is full of cars, the bikers are just trying to make the earth safer, so our next generation can live on a beautiful plant!!
    -J-

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  214. Erin

This is so lame! They're punishing people for Riding their Bikes, saving the Environment! They would make more money taxing every pun Carl makes! :))

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  215. Lauren

Umm.. i have mixed feelings about this. first, i think it is a bit unfair for people who just ride bikes to go to work..secound, the lady that said other people who tell her to get off the road say, they pay for it . but if we have the fees she and other bike riders now have a come back.(please post this.. Oh and hi Mr.johnson...and carl)

March 10, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  216. Ender

If people have to pay to ride bikes, soon people will have to pay to run to places.

March 10, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  217. Nick

I think it's pretty ridiculous to tax cyclists. They are choosing to take an alternative mode of transportation that is more eco-friendly because they care strongly about the planet. Taxing people for something they care about is just wrong.

March 10, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  218. Michelle

I would never ride my bike if i was charged that much money. Riding a bike is for fun and exercise. Not for paying. 54 dollars, you have got to be kidding me i would never pay even a cent. Anyway isnt this a free country?

March 10, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  219. Sarah

The only thing that I don't understand is that people usually have bikes because they can't afford a car or lost their license right? So what sense would it make to tax someone on their bike when they probably wouldn't be able to pay the tax? Do we pay tax on a car simply because we have a car? We already have to pay insurance and sales tax. What else? Scooters?

March 11, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  220. Alex

I do not think scientists should get more money for embryonic stem cell research because it requires the embryo to be destroyed.

March 11, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  221. Ms.Tinsley's Class

$54 to have fun so uncool

March 11, 2009 at 7:14 am |
  222. Ryan

I don’t think there should be a tax on riding a bike. Even the thought of it is foolish. The people pay for the bikes and now the country wants to make them pay to ride them. This is beginning to change the way I view the Obama administration and our government today. Never had I heard about trying to tax a bike rider. I understand taxing people for having and driving their car, but taxing a bike. You’ve got to be kidding, maybe some people want to go bike out on the street for exercise, but they have to pay a tax to do that before they go biking. This is ridiculous.

March 11, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  223. Svjetlana

I agree with the bike tax because it will be beneficial in the future.

March 11, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  224. Shelby

This is ridiculous, this is just a way for the government to take more money from the people because they are spending their money on wasteful projects. If they took the common beliefs on spending your money wisely they wouldnt have to look for petty ways to cheat people out of their money.

March 11, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  225. chloe

i don't think there should be a tax on bikes; it is so stupid!

March 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  226. Cathy

I am against this tax thing-i
    if the government wants to help the local environment and the people's health as well as the surroundings, bikes is the best way to move around.
    More tax-less bike riders-less selling, and more recession
    I know it is a bit exaggerating, but i don't think they should pose tax on BIKES!!
    also, it is eco-friendly, which is another big reason for my disagreement with it.

March 11, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  227. Ashley

It isn't right to tax bikers. They should have the right to ride bikes without a tax. In my opinion I think it's a bunch of crap.

March 11, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  228. gaby

taxes on bikes? i dont think they should but it should be provided anyways were citizens paying taxes anyways. So we do pay for the roads to drive cars and ride bikes.

March 11, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  229. Madalyn

March 11, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  230. charlotte

like my teacher said after the show, why would anyone tax bikers. they r helping the environment, so we should be paying them, since they r doing their part of saving the environment. maybe we have to have a lane just for bikers, so they feel like they r part of the croud, and that will make them pay more attention to the stop signs and lights.

March 11, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  231. Sarah :)

don't tax the poor bike people. They shouldn't have to pay taxes at all cause they are actually getting out of their cars and excersizing

March 11, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  232. Nikki

All I have to say is REALLY!? Bikes, are you serious! I think if they started taxing bike riders people's health will drop, a lot, and if you don't have a car, how else are you going to get to work and if you can't go to work you can't a bike or a car. This just shows how desperate the government is for more money and they will tax anything they can to get it.

March 11, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  233. Joel

thats just dumb. we should b allowed to ride our bikes without getting taxed.

March 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  234. Leah

Ok. Tax.. on riding bikes? I thought the point of riding a bike is to have transportation free!! Why, especially in the economy we're in right now. It might just make it worse...

March 11, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  235. Leslie

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! It is dumb because we already pay for it

March 11, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  236. jacob

I want to know what President Obama's daughters think about him making school longer. No kids are going to want longer days.

March 11, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  237. Twila

I think that taxing people on bicycles is insane! People are simply choosing a more eco-friendly mode of transportation. If everyone started riding bikes instead of cars, not only would it would be better for the environment, but people are getting exercise!

March 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  238. Nick

What next? A tax on walking?

March 11, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  239. Austin

I don't live in that city but a tax we all ready have to pay for gas in cars.

March 11, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  240. Karleigh

Don't our parents and other adults already pay for regular taxes? That would be crazy to make them pay for trying to live a happy and healthy lifestyle by riding a bike!

March 11, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  241. Daken

I think they shouldn't tax cyclist.They are caring for the enviorment and not polluting.I like riding my bike around and I don't have the money to pay the taxes.

March 11, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  242. Virginia

You shouldn't be charged green for trying to go green.

March 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  243. Sadie

This is a stupid idea!
    If you already have to pay for a bike, then you don't want to have to pay to ride it!
    It's like making you pay to eat food that you already bought!

PS: Carl, you rock.
    😀

March 11, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  244. kimberly

I think that's weird to pay to ride your bike In the streets

March 11, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  245. connor

wow that is really dumb i am not going to pay 54$ to ride my bike

March 12, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  246. chandler

They tax us on everything nowadays. Why do they need more money for the roads, we already have to pay taxes on the roads!

March 12, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  247. Karen

I think putting a tax on bikes is ridiculous! Bikers are healthier, they're helping the environment, and charging them for doing a good thing is really stupid! What are they going to tax us for next; walking?

March 12, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  248. Marshall

I don't think that we should have a bike tax because I love riding my bike with my friends and that in the bad economy I will probably not get a car for my sixteenth birthday so I will have to ride my bike to school. Another thing is that you have some people that rely on their bikes to get them to work.

March 12, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  249. James

I think that that bill is retarded. Bikes are enviormentaly friendly, and do not use any of our precious resources. They cost no money to operate, and only take up an eigth of the road. This is not fair to those that are envormentally friendly. Its just because of the recession and every one is riding there bikes trying to save money, and the car dealers are getting ticked off and complaning, hoping to get some kind of money.

March 12, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  250. Austin

Would you have to walk to work and walk to get back?

March 12, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  251. Austin

I see pedestrians on side walks some are on bicycles. If they where in that city I wonder if what they would do?

March 12, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  252. Gump

thats not cool at all

March 12, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  253. sdog

I think that it is crazy to pay to ride your bike.
    I think it could happen in the U.S.A.

March 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  254. christina

i think it is just utterly stupid to do the taxes on bikes.

March 12, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  255. amanda

i mean that i live in Wi and i think it is horrible.

March 12, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  256. anakin

that is the most stupid idea I ever heard! You rock carl!!!! 😀

March 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  257. Matinee

I an definetly against the tax for bicycle riders in Oregon. Why should people who are doing the best thing for the Earth AND their bodies get taxed, while lazy people, sitting in their cars are spared? Even a tax as little as 50 dollars a year is still money, and in the current recession, people need to hang on to as much money as they possibly can. I feel that this is wrong, and a punishment that is given to the wrong people. People who ride their bikes are trying to save money; not having to get gas, not having to get their oil changed as frequently as car drivers. Good people shouldn't have bad things happen to them.

March 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  258. Rachel

No, because then not many people will bike because their too expensive. Biking gives you energy and helps decrease Pollution.

March 12, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  259. Joonhee

It is not fair. Biking actually improves our health. If people are taxed for riding the bike, then they would ride their car intead. This would have big consequences, like more air pollution, frequent car accidents, more obese people, and more jammed traffics. People ride their bike to exercise. I don't think we should be taxed for exercising! That's mean.

March 12, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  260. Collin

We're trying to go green here Obama, and you want to tax us for it? A large percent of americans are obese and they shouldn't be taxed for trying to save their lives either.

March 12, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  261. beth

biking is good for people and the endangered environment! If anything raise taxes on motor vechiles which polute the earth!

March 13, 2009 at 12:17 am |
  262. avery

taxes on bikes? that is really dumb, everyone has enough taxes as it is.

March 13, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  263. Dani

WHAT!!!!!!! YOU SOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY TO RIDE YOUR BIKE!
    THIS IS SO STUPID! I CAN'T BELIVE THIS! WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY TO RIDE YOUR BIKE! SOME PEOPLE HAVE BIKES SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY!

March 13, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  264. faith

hi my name is faith and i live in phoneix and i dont have a bike but taxes for bikes is dume its not like a bike is a car

March 13, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  265. Megz

Honestly you shouldn't have a tax on bikes. Some people ride bikes because they don't have money to buy a car, so now they can't pay for the car or maybe can't even pay for the bike too. Some people will have to quit riding bikes because they can't afford to pay for the taxes.

March 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  266. celia

i do not agree with the idea to tax people in oregon who ride there bikes. They are trying to help the enviroment by riding there bikes, and some people ride there bikes because they can not aford to pay for gas. Its only $50 but it is still money and people are trying to save as much money as possible.

March 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  267. Mattea

The idea of having a tax on bikes is a really stupid thing to do. How will people get enough money to feed their family,and put clothes on their childrens' backs.What happens if the ennocnimee hits rock bottoom, then the goverment will have controll or everthing we do.The "Goverment" has basicly cut the words,We The People,out of the consittotion.It is said that there is to be no goverment higher then the people,Meaning the People Of The United States Of America.

March 13, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  268. Alayna

I love riding my bike, but i obliviously don't ride it on highways because I'm just a kid. Me and my friends go for bike rides all the time in the summer. If we had to pay taxes we would scream our heads off. I just don't think it's fair.

March 13, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  269. Sierra

No, they shouldn't tax people for riding there bikes to work or anything. If they do they need to lower gas prices.

March 13, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  270. Matthew

One word, UNJUST!!!!!

March 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  271. Zack

well i wouldn't like to pay tax for riding my bike but i sure would to make roads safer for younger people like myself

March 14, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  272. mia

i don't think they should tax bike riders, because with our environment is already so bad. If officials start taxing bike riders more because they ride bikes is crazy, because then LESS people will ride bike, making our even WORSE!!!! IT'S JUST CRAZY IF YOU ASK ME!!!!COME FIGHT BACK!!!

March 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  273. Kayleen

I think that it is so stupid that they are trying to put a tax on bike! People that ride bikes have the same rights as the people that ride in cars or have cars.

March 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  274. Meghan

No! It is a bike... not a car!

March 15, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  275. Emily

They shouldn't be taxed. They're trying to save the environment. It's not right for them to pay to ride their bikes.

March 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  276. marisabela

I thank that kids under 18 don't have to pay, but i don't understand why the people over 18 do. I think it is unfair for them because I just think it is unright.

March 16, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  277. Emma

That is ubsurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It could spread to other states!!!!! That is so STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 16, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  278. Anonymous

The govenment has already raised taxes AND they have placed taxes on new things. And now they want us to pay a tax on bikes?! That is crazy. What's next, a tax on paper?

March 16, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  279. Carris

that is just wrong!
    i love riding my bike... and if you have to pay to ride a bike... thaT IS bogus!!!

March 16, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  280. Brayden

This tax is pointless. You want us to pay to exercise? What's next, running taxes?

March 16, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  281. Briana

we should not pay extra money for bikes we have our rights and our rights demand to not pay taxes for a bike whats next will we be having to pay tax on posted note pads

March 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  282. Courtney

Why charge them? instead we should be congratulating them! Ya they may be riding their bike to save money, but they are also saving the planet by not polluting the air with gas. So cut them some slack, they're doing the world a favor!

March 16, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  283. Chelsie

I dont think thasts right because people are low on money, and know all of a suden they have to pay a tax on riding a bike! i have a hadicapped relative and she uses a bike as her transportation because she cant drive a car, thats not fair! i dont know hat to tell her know that she has to pay to ride her bike! I love you carl, please put me on you show, i hate not being on there, it makes me sad!

March 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  284. John

Why would they make people that ride on bikes pay money for the road. So what if they ride on it they don't drive cars on it like some other people. And besides the people who rode bikes are saving the Earths Atmosphere.

March 17, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  285. Amanda

I think there shouldn't be a tax on bikes. Many people ride bikes to save them the gas money, and it helps people get exersice. If there were to be a tax on bikes it would stop people from riding, and lower the amount of physical fittness in some peoples lives.

March 17, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  286. Emily

I think the tax on riding a bike in Oregon is very unfair. It is unfair because many people ride bikes daily and already pay a great amount of money to buy bikes, helmets, and other things you need with riding a bike. Many people now are riding bikes because it is environmentally friendly compared to riding in a car and they are actually trying to help the earth. Also, riding a bike is good exercise for people who want to get a good workout for free around their neighborhood instead of paying for a gym membership. If people have to $54 in Oregon to ride bikes on large roads such as highway, people will be upset and right now people are going through many financial difficulties so they will hesitate on riding their bikes. Also, if only one state is being taxed on bike riding, more and more states will maybe start agreeing to that law and might also start agreeing to even more laws that cost us too much money.

March 17, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  287. Kori

Isn't riding a bike supposed to be healthy? If the government is so worried about the U.S. population becoming overweight then why should they charge you for something that's making you active? And anyway why would we need better bike trails if they are perfectly usable right now? We need to put our money to use on better things.

March 18, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  288. MICHAEL

I don`t think it`s fair for people. Some people rely on bikes to get around.

March 18, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  289. Chris

I don't live there but if I did I'd be angry and stuff. People rely on bikes to get to work or school etc. and shouldn't be taxed.

March 19, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  290. Krys

That's insane. People are trying to save money by riding bikes, they should NOT have to pay too.

March 19, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  291. Christine

i dont think they should do that to people who are riding bikes. like come on do wat if a person just want to go to the a place on there bike and not a car come on it so not a good idea.

March 19, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  292. Max

I think that it is ridiculous that you should have to pay taxes to ride your bike. Cant you ever have fun or do something without payng money?

March 19, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  293. chance

im a biker and im 12 i am not paying
    2 ride a bike the is bull

March 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  294. Charlotte

I think that they should not put a tax on bikes because we shouldn't
    have to pay to keep the earth clean. It's all going to go down hill if they put a tax on bikes,we purchased them to get exersize... we shouldn't have to pay a tax on them at all!

March 20, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  295. Jerry

i dont ride bikes so i dont care that much. My friends would BUG OUT though

March 20, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  296. Charlie

I dont even care because i dont ride a bike.

March 20, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  297. Emanuel

no thats not right to make people who ride bikes pay taxes. I mean come on thats stupid. It's bad enough for people with cars. so stop making life tougher.

March 20, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  298. John

Why tax peaple this just my personal opion it is not right flowing LIBERAL ideals. That is just flowing THE DEMOCRATS OPION

March 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  299. john

tax on bikes,i think a tax on bikes are stupid because in allen park u cant see a decent price on bikes so id rather fix my own bikes

March 22, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  300. Josh

I donʻt think that there should be tax on bikes. Even though they take up part of the lane, people should be kind enough to go around them. Its saving our world by not using cars anyway so I donʻt know why people are complaining. They need to think about what they say before they start implying.

March 23, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  301. mimiii(:

i think its wrong to tax people if they are riding bikes ! its unhuman like and the economy we're living in right now calls for riding bikes. i understand that taxing this might give the government more money and lift us out of the crisis but there is a high possibility that people wont want to pay this and go on strike and not ride bikes or cars and whatnot and just ride the bus or walk to work and things. its a horrible idea to tax bike riders and tier bike riding and if they do they better expect a boycott

March 23, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  302. Aryanna

I think thats rood to make people pay taxes for riding a bike, if they have to ride on the road where cars drive then they have the right to, and if they have to ride their bikes on the sidewalk then people shouldn't throw a fit because they are near the road, god made the world how it is now but he didn't make it to where you have to pay taxes for riding a bike.\

March 24, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  303. John

I wouldn' t pay taxs to my bike, my brother and I ride our bikes all the time.

March 24, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  304. Bryce!!!!!

I think that people should not be taxed on bikes they are already expensive and people that are riding bikes are helping the enviorment because they are not using gas. Yea i ride in a car but i need to get somewhere far and i live far from all the stores like walmart so it will take me like 2 hours on a bike.

March 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  305. Bryce!!!!!

And i like riding a bike off ramps it fun!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  306. Stephanie

Ok, so if I ride my bike to my friends house, which is like 5 minutes away, I have to pay a tax? No no no no. Sorry, but no way. It's a bike. It is how I entertain myself and how I meet with friends. Should I have to pay for a good time?

March 24, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  307. Alli

I do not agree with the tax on bikes because some people who cannot afford a car resort to a free transportation which is also healthy for the environment. They should not be charged for doing so.

March 24, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  308. Tristan

I think that this is the worst law ever how do you plan to charge people for an activity that is free.

March 25, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  309. Anahi

I think thats unfair that is like the only thing we have that we can do for free. My whole family rides back together every weekend and its pretty fun I live in Houston but still i feel sorry for them. I just hope it doesn't end up happening to us....

March 25, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  310. Zaira

I think it's absurd to change people for risding their bikes. I understand that the economy is bad at the moment, but the governments shouldn't charge the people in order to pay for other's people's mistakes. Also, some people would just resort to riding their cars instead of theri bikes just so they won't pay the tax -.-

March 25, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  311. Smarty Man

Well i think that taxes on bicycle is pretty absurd. Of all the things the government could do to bring down our citizens this is very outrageous. I really hope this tax is repeled. Peace out Carl.

March 25, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  312. Wes

Bikers should not be taxed if they are biking on a public trail, that's like being taxed for walking on a sidewalk.

March 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  313. LUCINDA

WOW......THAT IS HISTIRICAL I THOUGHT I SEEN IT ALL FROM THE GOVERMENT.

March 25, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  314. Jacob

I don't think people should be taxed for riding bikes. They ride bikes to escape the hassle of paying for gas. It defeats the purpose of riding bikes anymore.

March 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  315. antonio

i realy think is not a good idea to charge people for using a bike i mean is the only thing they have to transport themselfs without having to pay so basicly a kid has to play to ride a bike in the street
    with his frieds

March 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  316. Kevin

Bike's should be taxed just becaused companys are being idiots with their money. Buying a bike is expensive if your not financialy ready for it. Most college students buy bikes to avoid car expenses and now they want to charge students to ride their bikes. I absoultly deisagree with taxing bikes. Although i dont have a bike of my own.

March 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  317. cindy

is our economy so bad dat now even a simple pleasure such as a bike ride will have to cost us, the point of having a bike is for us not to have to pay for gas etc. i dont think this should be allowed

March 25, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  318. Alan

Well, since i don't ride a bike, so it wouldn't matter to me, although I think this is absolutely ridiculous. We in diffucult times as it is and we this new absurd law, it would just make things harder.

March 25, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  319. hannah

Its a good way to make money but unfair.The economy is such in the hole right now that people cant afford stuff like that.

March 25, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  320. Michael

I don`t think he should put a tax on bikes, because some people need bikes to get around.

March 26, 2009 at 7:11 am |
  321. Maria

At times people buy bikes to save on transportation. This would only discourage people from considering a bike and maybe getting closer to exercising more because of them

March 26, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  322. Jennifer

Well I don't ride a bike so I doesn't matter to me but I have family that does but I would have to say that I don't think it's fair for them to do that because there's just people that just ride bikes for fun and they are trying to charge for that. LIke come on what is the world comming to. I would have to disagree.

March 26, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  323. Francisco

Riding a bike is a lot of fun, but it wont be fun when you get charged for a little time spending on the bike.

March 26, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  324. liz

that is unfair.

March 26, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  325. sam

if oregon does it then other cities are going to try it.
    then everyone will be unrightly fined,
    just for riding a bike.

March 26, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  326. lili

i think its wrong to tax people if they are riding bikes ! its unhuman like and the economy we’re living in right now calls for riding bikes. i understand that taxing this might give the government more money and lift us out of the crisis but there is a high possibility that people wont want to pay this and go on strike and not ride bikes or cars and whatnot and just ride the bus or walk to work and things. its a horrible idea to tax bike riders and tier bike riding and if they do they better expect a boycott
    I agree w/ that.

March 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  327. monica

i dont agree becausei dont think is right for you to pay money just because you want to ride your bike..

March 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  328. Nilsa

i dont agree, i believe people should be able to ride their bike tax-free

March 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  329. Virginia

It's absurd being taxed to ride a bike! The government should find other ways to make money for projects. Their ideas should be reasonable not amusing.

March 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  330. Marco

I don't think we should pay just to ride our bikes. It should to free and fun to do with the family.

March 26, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  331. Tangela

Thats not fair. People shouldn't have to pay for riding a simple bike.

March 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  332. Jose

This rule does not apply to me but i would not want to pay taxes for my bike.

March 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  333. Veronica

i do not agree because i dont think its fair to pay for riding a bike. i mean sometimes its the only way that some people could get around to certain places and they shouldnt have to pay for that when all they are doin is just gettin to where they are goin plus its fun to ride a bike because its free!!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  334. .Michael.

people are just thinking of ways to get more money and rip people off, this is unfair and makes no sense.!!!! :(!!!!!!!!!!!

March 27, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  335. Lupita

I feel that taxes on a bike is going a little bit too far. I underdstand that money, in many places, are a tight right now but there is no need for this to happen. I myself don't ride a bike offten but if I did I know I wouldn't want to pay for it. In many cases people ride bikes because of the fact that they have no money, so making a person pay more is just absurd.

March 27, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  336. Robin

Taxing on being able to ride your bike i feel is going to be another dumb idea that the lawmakers come up with. If they were to pass that law now. While our economy is down in the gutter then they are just asking for more trouble. People use thier bikes as a way of transportation, exercise, and mainly for the fun of it. You know people use thier bikes as transportation to try and save money and the environment because we all know gas prices arent exactly cheap and the environment aint exactly at tip top shape right now. Oh and then we have the people who exercise on bikes. Some people ride bikes to keep in shape. Instead of becoming obese. Do we really need more health problems? The health care program aint exactly in tip top shape either...Then the people who just want to ride thier bikes because they enjoy that type of freedom. Why should the lawmakers be able to take that away from them?? All in all its a dumb idea that i really hope dont get passed.

March 27, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  337. Manuel

I say is dumb because thier just tring to find a way to get money.

March 27, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  338. Javier

A tax on bikes? That is absurd, even though its only in ORegon it is still unfair. Charging taxes for bikes just to make quick money, our economy may not be the best but still they shouldn't do this to the people who's only means might be riding a bike because money is a little tight.

March 27, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  339. Adela

I think that there should be no tax on bike because there is too many people getting laid-off and they have trouble paying their own bills so they defenitely will not be able to pay the tax. People who ride bikes are saving money and to have to pay, it will be bad for them.

March 27, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  340. Jennifer

I don't agree that they should pu a tax on bikes because people ride their bikes for fun and now there's a price for having fun, that's not fair. I mean I don't really care because I don't use a bike but a lot of my family members do. So I don't agree with them.

March 27, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  341. Stacia

I think that nobody should have to pay a tax for riding their bikes. People ride bikes to help with global warming, so they are already helping enough. Bikes don't use gas or anything. What if someone wanted to go visit their friend and the only way to get there was riding their bike on the freeway or main street, then they would have to pay just to go? That makes no sense and is not right.

March 27, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  342. Ivan

I dont think its fair to pay for our bikes because people are already in finacial problems and that will add one more thing to there list.

March 27, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  343. susy

Am not paying NADA(nothing)!!!!!!! That is one of the few free things in the world. I think this is stupid and i would not be part of someting like this.The bike has many good things about it like keep you in shape and heathy, money in your pocket(no gas or oil change), no pollution and its not expensive.

March 27, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  344. Ana

I think people who choose to help save the enviroment and be healthy shouldn't be taxed for that. They should be rewarded and this is not a good reward.

March 27, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  345. paulo

well i dont ride a bike, but if i ever do i will prefer riding tax-free, because i am not paying no money just to ride my own bike.

March 27, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  346. monica

i dont agree with this idea because i dont think anyone would like to pay money just because they want to ride their bikes. this is something that your suppose to do everyday for free.. and plus the way the economy is, is better for people to ride bikes than their car...

March 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  347. Elias

The government is taxing everything, and looking back to the "American Revolution" us Americans were really frustrated and angry at the King of England because he was taxing all sorts things that was just ubserd. Now look at what we're doing now, paying more than what we should be paying and the government is making the same mistake as King George did. And i still don't understand; what's with these extra taxes? Our economy is really bad as it is, so that means alot of people are going "broke", and yet we're still asked to pay for more. This is just outrageous.

March 27, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  348. Nck

No way. i love riding my bike.. I dont think they should tax us for riding them

March 28, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  349. Taye

I really strongly believe taxes on bikes are unacceptable. biking helps the envirement and taxes on bikes may just discourage bikers to bike, though the taxes are not to bad.....

March 28, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  350. Sara

I understand the logic, sort of, on this new tax but seriously over 50 bucks just to ride a bike. It think this tax would discourage a lot of kids from buying a bike and then stores would loose even more money. Also riding a bike is good exercise and if you couldn't ride a bike without paying it would discourage a lot of people from exercising and everyone would just sit and ride in cars and get even more fat.

This is a bad, bad idea!

March 29, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  351. Meghan

Having bike taxes are wrong! If people buy a bike and choose to ride it to work or any other place, then they shouldn't have to pay for it. They already paid some tax for buying the bike. Bike riding is good for the earth. Helping the environment should be enough of a tax for the government. Aren't they the ones who are trying to come up with new ways to help the environment. The taxes are just stopping people from riding the bike.

April 1, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  352. jesse

i think is is a bad idea. the economy is bad enought but to pay tax for riding a bike that is messde up!

April 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  353. Cody

Tax on bikes?! That isn`t the brightest idea....I mean we lose enough money as it is. We don`t need taxing bikes. It is seriously messed up.

April 1, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  354. Ian

I think I is a bad idea to tax bikes with high gas prices high most people will want to ride a bike

April 1, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  355. Humberto

I think this a bad idea because its fun and people shouldn't pay for their enjoyment and happiness.

April 13, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  356. paul

March 27th, 2009 10:06 am ET

Taxing on being able to ride your bike i feel is going to be another dumb idea that the lawmakers come up with. If they were to pass that law now. While our economy is down in the gutter then they are just asking for more trouble. People use thier bikes as a way of transportation, exercise, and mainly for the fun of it. You know people use thier bikes as transportation to try and save money and the environment because we all know gas prices arent exactly cheap and the environment aint exactly at tip top shape right now. Oh and then we have the people who exercise on bikes. Some people ride bikes to keep in shape. Instead of becoming obese. Do we really need more health problems? The health care program aint exactly in tip top shape either…Then the people who just want to ride thier bikes because they enjoy that type of freedom. Why should the lawmakers be able to take that away from them?? All in all its a dumb idea that i really hope dont get passed.
    i agree with this and other non taxing comments.

April 14, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  357. Ana

I think people who choose to help save the enviroment and be healthy shouldn’t be taxed for that. They should be rewarded and this is not a good

April 14, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  358. Lilian

I think this is not necessary!! Oh my god later on we will have to pay for walking in the sidewalk that's like kind of stupid!! we should not pay for riding a bike!!

April 14, 2009 at 12:10 pm |