February 17th, 2009

Twitter in the Operating Room

Surgery is a pretty private event - it's not usually something you want all your friends knowing about, let alone random people on Twitter.  You could argue that it doesn't matter whether doctors Twitter about your surgery as long as they don't use your name.  But if I'd been the patient discussed on Wednesday's show, I'm not sure I would've wanted the world knowing that I had an extra-large tumor on my kidney - regardless of whether my name was brought up.

Now I realize there's a benefit here to the medical community.  But to post the details of it on such a public place as Twitter seems like it goes pretty far.  What if something had gone terribly wrong?  The world would've known about it.

So let's say you're on your next visit to the doctor.  He asks you if his assistant can Twitter all the details of your checkup so that other aspiring doctors would know what the job is like.  Would it matter to you if they promised not to use your name?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. KK

To me i want to make SURE he is certified to use my name. I argee with Carl, who would want to wake up and the world knowing that you have some type of illment? Especially NOT tumors.

February 17, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  2. Emily

I think that surgery is a very private and personal experience for the patient as well as the doctors involved but I also think that many people may be interested in it. I think that as long as the patient is ok with it then it shouldn't be a problem.

February 17, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  3. Drew

Honestly, I would not care if they Twittered! my information or not. It's not like they are going to use my name anyways, so nobody will really know. It seems perfectly fine to me. We love you, Carl!

February 18, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  4. REAGAN

i wouldn't mind as long as i was saved and they didn't show the surgery espeachaly in my kidney. it would be cool to be twitered me during surgery as long as they didn't kill me or play around to much and not take out all the tumor so it wouldn't come back

February 18, 2009 at 2:39 am |
  5. Kim

In my opinion I think it will be just fine because any personal information will not not be revealed. And unless my face is exposed to the public through videos or something, I believe we don't have to worry! Also, we can make great contributions to medics if the surgery done to me succeeds! But, if new kind of surgery is done on me in order to find out the validity of new findings in medics I would certainly disagree with that! (What if the surgery gets wrong?)
    Anyway, I really enjoy your explanation on the headlines Carl!

February 18, 2009 at 4:07 am |
  6. Matthew

We are all random patients. It's not the world will remember us. I technecally mind, but it really is an opinion.

February 18, 2009 at 6:02 am |
  7. ben

its cool to tell the outside world about new technices and new technolagy

February 18, 2009 at 6:38 am |
  8. marisabela

Having surgury while tou doctor is typing, must be scary. The doctor could have done something wrong while he was on twitter.

February 18, 2009 at 7:19 am |
  9. marisabela

to do the surgery typing, I think that the patient should sign a contract.

February 18, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  10. Lizzy

I think documenting the surgery step by step would help the families
    know what really goes on in the OR. It could also help medical students
    learn what are the real issues in the OR instead of watching House or Grey's Anatomy!

February 18, 2009 at 7:31 am |
  11. Colin

I think this is violating the CONSTITUTION. It's breaking one's 'unailenable rights'. I had an eye surgery 2 years ago and I didn't wanted the world that I had an eye muscle that was freak to whirl around and around. I think that guy who was shown in news having a surgery on KIDNEY wanted that much to Twitter about his organ's tumor, especially when this organ we are talking about are near to your you-know-what spot...

February 18, 2009 at 7:47 am |
  12. Alina

I think it depends on the circumstances.

February 18, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  13. Sara

It wouldn't matter if he promised not to use my name in his Twitters. I don't want to be exposed to the public like that, let alone random internet people that I don't even know the names of. Twitter should just be about what YOU are doing right now, not what you're doing to someone surgically.

February 18, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  14. Harrison

My business is my business. I wouldn't want the world knowing that I have some kind of strange and weird disease that people might laugh at. Anyways, diseases aren't funny.

February 18, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  15. Jess

If it was me, it would want to help inhance the knowledge of other doctors, but on Twitter? That would be scary! Even if your name isn't included it would be weird over a public internet sourse.

February 18, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  16. Bill

I believe that no one else should know MY families business. Especially when it's when you have tumors or even when you go into open hart surgery. I wouldn't like it.

February 18, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  17. Phillip

It may be distracting for the surgeon to always have to think about what the readers are reading instead of what he is doing. If they only have 30 minutes they should be concentrating on the surgery.

February 18, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  18. Matt

If I were on the OR table, I would not want my business (or my kidney) all up in the world.

February 18, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  19. Mr. Patterson's Class

You had your best puns today. Well done.

Please do not Twitter my surgery unless I'm the person doing the Twittering.

"Ouch, this really really hurts."

"Wow, that is one big tumor. Can I take it home?"

"When do I get ice cream?"

"If I suddenly stop Twittering, I'm probably dea............"

February 18, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  20. Dan

I think it is OK, but it all depends on what part of my body they are operating on! If they want to twitter, then let 'em twitter. It could probably help young doctors learn a lot,.

February 18, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  21. zach

Meh as long as some one learns it's all cool

February 18, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  22. akash

I think it would be perfectly fine,plus the hospital would get credit for doing the operation,and how would know if they put you to sleep

February 18, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  23. BJ

I believe that surgery is a private thing in my opinion if it was me I would not want the whole world knowing that I have a tumor. Though this person may of agreed to let them do this but if these doctors were talking to other doctors they should come up with a private chat.

February 18, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  24. Mr. Lerch's Class

Yes and No!

Yes, it would be alright because it helps us to save money by saving gasoline. It also helps teach a larger group of people. You can also teach many different levels of doctors, as well as reach out to more people to inspire them to become a doctor.

No, something could go wrong while the doctors are busy twittering, rather than being a doctor. It is also an invasion of privacy. Someone could be posing as a doctor and learn things that they should not know.

Thanks Carl!
    Mr. Lerch's class

February 18, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  25. Addy

I wouldn't mind , but i'm not sure i'd want to read the story later.

February 18, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  26. Devin

I wouldn't care if they did that to me as long as they didn't give out my name to anybody because that would be scary. I feel bad for that person who got it, but I'm also happy they got it out

February 18, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  27. Kim :)

I think that it is important for future doctors to know about these things, so I dont think I would mind. Actually I wouldnt even mind if they used my name because who knows it may have been the first sucessful surgery for that disease in history!

February 18, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  28. Samantha

I wouldn't mind. If it's for surgical purposes to inform other surgeons then it wouldn't matter.

February 18, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  29. Jesse

If my case can save someone else's life, or if there's the remotest chance of something like that– and there always is– then I say, Twitter away, doctors. Anything that helps the world, even at the cost of an individual's privacy, is worth doing.

February 18, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  30. Michael

I think it would be kind of cool to let people know what is happening to me while I'm getting surgery.

February 18, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  31. Brandon

I think it would be nice to be tweetered while I am in surgery because when it is over i could see the tweeter site and see how everything was going while I was in the surgery!

February 18, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  32. JoHn

i think that it would be wrong to twitter about someone without their opion on it

February 18, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  33. Aaron

Does the patient have to pay the doctor to sit and Twitter during the operation or is he doing it on his own dime? That is a waste of time and
    money! And very distracting!!!

February 18, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  34. L.K.S.

I think it's fine as long as they don't say the patient's name.

February 18, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  35. cole

I think its fine to do that as long as the patient knows and is ok with it.
    I personally would not care to help other people learn about cancer tumers. Mainly because it is helping other people too.

February 18, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  36. Ryan

I think the twittering was a good learning experience for whoever was on the website at the time. But, if the patient had a problem with being talked about on the internet, they shouldn't do it.

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  37. Katie

I would not mind if they talked about me on Twitter as long as they did not use my name.

February 18, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  38. Isiah

I love the fact that the medical community is able to do such things as discuss surgeries on a social network. I think it allows a massive amount of people to hear about new and exciting advancements in the medical field. thank you for such a wonderful story!!

February 18, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  39. tyler

hay carl how would you feel if you had cancer thing will you aprove it

February 18, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  40. dylan

That would be realy cool having people work on you're brain and having doctors bloging about it.(sarcasim) Whats next them takeing pictures of you're brain?

February 18, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  41. Teacher Nicci's Class, East Mesa Juvenile Detention Facility

It wouldn't be a problem to put the surgery on twitter as long as they omitted the name. The surgery helps others.

February 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  42. Amber

I think that it's irresponsible to be doing that. What are they paying these doctors to do? Pretty much anyone can type. I also think that if they want to share it with other doctors on the web, they should post a web page or something. It seems like they're not doing the best they could be for their job if they're twittering.

February 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  43. Kyeria

I would not want someone to twitter my surgrey! What an invasion of privacy!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  44. Jessica

to me its like whatever. if i can help people then i would be honored you know. but at the same time its kinda private. but im always up for helping and stuff so yeah

February 18, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  45. Jessica

i wanna say that he cant use my name but yeah tell people i am good at just pretending its not me and you know though if im helping some one then yeah i saved others life and yeah having tomers adn stuff are personal but think what if your helping some one out and saying a life then dont you think you would wanna be know for that i sure would and so yeah id be a hero and people would forget about what i have 🙂

February 18, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  46. Coach Bates Current Issues Class Ponder, TX

The majority of our class says, Just say No to live twittering during surgery. They can twitter after the surgery is over.

February 18, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  47. Mr. Patterson 7th grade C Class

I think that surgery needs to be confidential.

It depends on the surgery.

I would want to know that it's being Twittered.

Please make sure the anesthetics are working the whole time.

February 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  48. lynae

What is next in the world that will be known to the world? first they are showing surgrey and next thing you know there going to start people in jail i mean this is cool and all just what about the privacy of the people who are having the surgery did they even ask what is his oppinion. did he give them his apporal? did he say yes they could do that or no?

February 18, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  49. Makae and Amber

Yes, it could tell how to do the procedure and save someones life. Because they keep the other patients name confidential.

February 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  50. Elizabeth

I would NEVER let any doctor have my surgery on a social-networking site! I hope that the doctors asked that patient before they put his/her whole operation on Twitter.

February 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  51. Zach

I think that twitter is a good thing because, it is important to get the word out of new things to America. Such as in their case a major surgery.

February 18, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  52. Ashley

yes it would matter even if he didn't use my name in it! I will NEVER let anyone twitter on my surgery. Especially if they were twittering while they were doing my surgery!

February 18, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  53. Karisa

I don't want my surgery to be twittered. Yeah you have you-tube and all but surgery is more serious. I think that is an evasion of privacy.

February 18, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  54. parker

Tumor ???? Having to have a tumor removed when a dr. is on twitter I am happy they did not get too distracted with it.

February 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  55. Katie

I feel that is a very cool chance that the OR has so why not share it? I think that is so cool that us ordinary people can learn but really happens during a operation. I wouldn't want to be the person getting the operation blogged about though.

February 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  56. Rachel

I would SO not want people to put my surgery on the internet! I just dont think thats the type of thing I would want everyone around the world to be able to see. I dont think I would really be embarrassed I just think thats disgusting!

February 18, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  57. L*OG@N

I don't think that I would mind having my surgery twittered. Yea a lot of people would find out about it but what does that matter??........ If a doctor was to ask me I would say yea go for it......... Some people might think that it is sharing to much personal information but all it's really doing is saying what there doing in your surgery...... I mean is that really a big deal??

February 18, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  58. GRACIE

I don't think I would care if my surgery was on twitter. All it is doing is supplying other doctors and people with information about medical stuff. But was that a robot preforming surgery?????????!!!!!!????? I would defiantly care about that!! But that wasn't the question...just saying...ps: not talking about the doctor just the big huge metal thing.

February 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  59. Annaaaaa :]

I would not let a doctor do that, i would feel to awkward even if my name was not mentioned.

February 18, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  60. Kaylan

I wouldn't mind having people twitter my operation. As long as it was for a good cause, like informing doctors of new operations. I don't think it would be humiliating (its not like my face would show).

February 18, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  61. Olivia

I would not want to be twittered during my surgery. That would be so embarrassing! Its immature to do that. Why don't they do a web page? What if everyone was paying attention to Twitter instead of the surgery.

February 18, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  62. Jenna

I would not like my surgery to be documented on a world wide website while the doctors are deciding wether I'm going to die or not. They could at least ask before the surgery!!! If the whole surgery went wrong, we could sue them by blaming the whole thing on the fact that they were Twittering!!!

February 18, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  63. Mr. Patterson 7th grade B Class

What exactly do you Twitter while you're doing surgery?

"OMG! A tumor!!!!"

"I think I just cut out the wrong kidney....LOL...jk"

Seriously....please concentrate on my body not on the computer.

February 18, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  64. Chenille

blogging during a surgery is craaaaaaaazy.........if i wake up from my surgery and see them on the computer i'm going to twitter my way to their bosse's office........LOL

February 18, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  65. Mickey

Thats funny twittering while you are doing a surgery...... people just come up with the craziest things..... i love you bye

February 18, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  66. BRiBRi

In a way I think twittering while doing surgery on someone or i guess something is very funny but it still shouldnt be done.....i sure would not want my doctor to be twittering while workin on my surgery because i will definately be a mad lady in the hospital....goodbye

February 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  67. Steven

I don't think it is very smart to do that because something could go wrong while you are on the computer and you wouldn't be there to see what is happening. Besides I wouldn't want someone on the computer while they were working on me.

February 18, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  68. Steven

I think it is cool but i wouldn't want them on twitter while they were doing surgery on me.

February 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  69. Sammie

I think that it is wrong to post about someone's surgery. If that was me on the OR table I would want them to pay attention to my surgery the whole time. I wouldn't want them telling the whole world about my surgery... on the internet!

February 18, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  70. Evan

Why not, i will be (semi) famous.

February 18, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  71. Marie

If it was my surgery I would not want my surgery being posted on the internet. It is a total invasion of privacy. Besides, I would want all the doctors in the room working on what they should be working on. The Surgery. If other people want to I don't care as long as they consent.

February 18, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  72. Mrs. Jensen's 7th grade LA class

The majority of our class would NOT like our surgery broadcast, especially if something went wrong. We would rather our families know something went wrong before the entire world.

February 18, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  73. Ross

These men are attempting to share important information, who cares how they do it? I'd rather have 50 men know the facts about how someone operated on me (no matter how embarrassing) and have them all learn something from it to help others than just not telling anyone how the one doctor did it to protect my privacy. Let's think about someone besides ourselves.

February 18, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  74. Nick

I think i would let them twitter because i would like to know about what they think about and what they talk about while the operation.

February 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  75. Ben

My mom's a nurse, and I could never imagine her on a chat site, at work, now that's hesterical. She could never do it. i think that it is so funny that someone even though of that!

February 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  76. Jeffrey

I think i wouldn't mind having my surgerey being twittered because it would be interesting for everyone to see my surgerey.Who says anyone would know it was me?

February 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  77. Colin

I think i wouldnt want to have my surgery posted where everone goes because it says alot about personal information.

February 18, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  78. Maggie

I think it is a waste of time, most people probably won't want to read a twitter post about a surgery. And plus, I personally would not want people to hear about what is going on with my surgery. Ick, just think of it! It's like internet nudity.

Seriously doesn't seem like anything I would conform to.

Go RMS!!!

February 18, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  79. Megan

I think that stuff like operations are private. I wouldn't want my doctor twittering while I had a cancerous tumor removed. Then again, patients do have a choice when it comes to what they want broadcast. It would be fine if the patient was totally sure they wanted their doctors to broadcast their operations

February 18, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  80. Daniel

First of all I dont want anyone to hear about a surgery on me thats personal information

P.S. Why would a doctor be on twitter DURING a surgery?

February 18, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  81. Paul

i think that it would be okay to have surgery posted on twitter as long as its okay with the patient and their family...just in case the patient dies.

February 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  82. Anonymous

No, I probaly want random people on the interant reading about the surgury if it were me. I really hope they asked the patient if they could do that before the surgury.

February 18, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  83. Nicole

No, I wouldn't like random people on the internet knowly every single detail about my surgery. But on the other hand it would be a great contrubution to medical science.

February 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  84. Kristen

In my opinion ,as long as no personal information is being shared, I think it is alright. this could actualy improve the understandings in the medical field.

February 18, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  85. Kaley

To me I think it would be perfectly ok for them to write my surgery on twitter. But I would understand why some people not like it because it is private. As long as they don't use my name, it is fine with me.

February 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  86. Carlos

I think so too.

February 18, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  87. McTier

If people didn't know my name it would not matter but if the doctor is twittering and not doing the surgery then thats different. Hey mrs Williams

February 18, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  88. McTier

If people didn’t know my name it would not matter but if the doctor is twittering and not doing the surgery then thats different. Hey mrs Williams's georgia studies class

February 18, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  89. Austin

Who wants somehting as serious as that known to the world? Private is private. End of discussion

February 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  90. Sammi

Well, personally, I wouldn't like it! I feel very sorry for the patient! But I guess for a good cause I wouldn't mind.

February 18, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  91. Little Devil

I think it's cool to have twitter in the operating room. It can aslo help people who are training to be a doctor.The Twitter site is the best idea ever.

February 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  92. jared

i think surgery should be private and surgery should not be operated with robots. because what if the robot does something wrong and the surgery goes wrong.

February 18, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  93. clara

If no one knows your identity I think its fine. Your making contributions to science and people need to hear about this kind of treatment because cancer is such a big problem. People argue for the privacy of the individual but your identety is not being posted just your procedure . Although it would be sensible to ask permission from the person having the procedure done to make sure that the are comfortable and they have a say in somthing.

February 18, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  94. Ethan

I think it would be awesome. If I was on House or ER.

February 18, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  95. douglas

as long as they leave my name out its ok to use me just dont use my name. Due to the fact that some tweeters might be DR. themselves using the network as a tool to find a better way to preform the sugry

February 18, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  96. addie

I think it would be amazing to be the one who was getting the surgery done because you would be the first that got to be involved with the docters using twittering live.

February 18, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  97. addie

I would not like it at all if the doctors decided to use twitter on my surgery because surgery is very private thing, and i understand that it would be very helpful but i would still not be comfortable.

February 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  98. Wesley

I would not want to be under and have doctors that are primarily focused on Twittering then about me the PATIENT. But overall I think this is a good concept.

February 18, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  99. jared

Surgery is private.surgery shouldn't be operation so the operated by robots because what if the robot does wrong and the operation goes wrong and the robot lets all the robot lets all the blood go out. so the operation will not go good.

February 18, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  100. Melissa

Considering i like being a lab rat... under certain circumstances... I would like for the world to know how to take out a tumor without removing the whole organ!

February 18, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  101. ♥ Melissa ♥

Hey Carl, Love the pun's keep 'em up!

I think it wouldn't be fair unless they asked the patient before telling everyone about their insides!

February 18, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  102. Hannah

OK.if I was that person i sooo wouldn't want someone to 'tweet' my surgry!!!
    i mean like HELLO!!!has anyone here ever heard of a little thing called PRIVACY!!!

February 18, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  103. Eric

I would not want that to happen to me becouse I wouldnt want other people to hear what was happening.

February 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  104. alex

they dont need to use twitter. Cant they just do there stuff frist then go on twitter when they are done

February 18, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  105. stephen

Now if I were the one being opperated on I wouldn't want someone typing about me. I would want someone saving me!!

February 18, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  106. Justin

They really should'nt because it might draw their attention away from the patient and it might turn into a big problem

February 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  107. Shane

You would think that the advantegde would be telling docters around the world how to do it. But it probably shouldntcbw posted there.

February 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  108. Bob

NNNNOOOO Its BADBAD

February 18, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  109. Kaylee

I wouldnt want my surgery to be twittered, thats personal . I would rather have my doctors operating on me not typing up a surgery report for the whole world to see!

February 18, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  110. Bob

I want them to twitter my surgery! COOL!

February 18, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  111. Madeline

I think that the doctors in the OR room should be aloud to twitter, but the main thing they should be focusing on is the patient that is in pain. So maybe the doctors that twitter shouldn't twitter so often...

February 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  112. Kaden

I Would NOT want people to know I was having sugery. I think thats very private For only you, your family, and the docters to know.

February 18, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  113. Gabe

NO! What if something went wrong for the whole world to know . Or i wouldn't want someone to know what they're doing to me. That is kind of rude I think.

February 18, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  114. Alyssa

I wouldn't really care if they used Twitter in the operating room as long as the didn't use my name. If they did, I would care because I don't want the entire world to know about it. I do think it is cool that they can tell other doctors about the surgery especially if it was a success!

February 18, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  115. shaniah

i dont think that should even be leagal. it is a huge distraction to the doctors and i think that surgery should be private. how exactly did the conversation go? what if they started talking about something other than surgery and got side tracked and messed up on the patients?

February 18, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  116. Dana

You should twitter to doctors but it's wrong to twitter to all of the
    people on online. Doctors NEED to know these new sugeries.
    People online DON'T NEED to know.

February 18, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  117. Ruby

I think if doctors ensure me that they won't use my name in the Twitter, than maybe I will permit them. But still, surgery is something private, so twittering all kinds of details about surgery is not a good idea....

February 18, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  118. ivy

no because i don't want any one to know about what i have

February 18, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  119. kailyn

i think the twitter in the operating room was awesome but if it were me i would say NO!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  120. janeth

i think it would be ok because they are showing advances in the technology so its ok

February 18, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  121. Ashley

I personally wouldn't want any surgery of mine being posted on a website. But I suppose that as long as the doctors aren't actually filming the operation and posting it onto the internet, everything is fine. I don't know who would want to watch someone getting a tumor removed.

February 18, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  122. makiah

no it wouldnt matter to me just as long as they dont say my name. i think its good that doctors communicate thing like that because it can be important to the surgery.

February 18, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  123. Bella

If it were me under the knife, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the idea. The Surgeons could like do something wrong while twittering.

February 18, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  124. richaud

it wouldn't matter to me becasuse the doctor said they wouldn't use my information. plus i think it's a great way for doctors to communicate with other doctors on the procedures they do in the surgery and see what else they find out.

February 18, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  125. brittany

I don't think i would because then they won't know who I am!!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  126. April

I wouldn't want them to twitter
    while they are doing a surgery
    on me.That would tell me that they
    aren't paying full attention on my
    surgery, which I payed lots of
    money on.

February 18, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  127. grace

i love that idea because i have a twitter too

February 18, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  128. marissa

I would not want my doctor to be operating on me and posting want he/she dose because im in there to get looked at by a doctor not others all over the world. Also what happends if something gose wrong

February 18, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  129. andreas

It depends

February 18, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  130. jake

no i wouldnt want someone knowing everything about surgery

February 18, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  131. Charlotte

I don't think having your surgery be on Twitter is that bad. You could learn alot! But then again, I wouldn't really want my surgery on the internet.

February 18, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  132. maria

I myself would want to know about me beging on twitter and i would want to at least have them talk to me to get my permition

February 18, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  133. Terrell

i think i probably would'nt would docters that need concentration to be on twitter while doing my operation

February 18, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  134. Kaycee

I think that surgery is a extremely private and personal experience for the patient as well as the doctors involved. I think that this is a violation of patient doctor confidentiality and it wouldn't be anything that I would be engrossed in.

February 18, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  135. Allie

To me it would be fne as long as the doctor did not share my name on the website then it would just be embarasing for everyone to know you have a tumor.

February 18, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  136. linda

if the doctors get permission from patients to twitter the whole operation, its okay. I think that doctors might pay more attention when making every single decsion during operation, because the whole operation is twittering. and the twittered things are kept record in the website so, if the surgery goes wrong ,then the patient can know what was wrong and can claim their right to get compensation or what other things under practical evidence.

February 18, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  137. Hong

I think using the twitter in the surgery is more effective than my name's knowing the other.

February 18, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  138. JOHN

I dont think its a good idea using twitter during an operation because somthing bad could happen to the person.

February 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  139. Katie

I think that's crazy! I'd love to get Twittered during a surgery! I'd be helping out a whole lot of doctors and other important people. Sure it'd be a little akward, but hey, I'm up for anything!

February 18, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  140. Syerra

I would not like to have the doctor doing surgery on me and on the computer at the same time.

February 18, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  141. Sarah

I would mind, because most likely my friends and family would know I was under going the procedure. If something the doctors saw or did was bad I would want to be the one to tell them, not some post on a website.
    On the other hand I can understand how it could be beneficial for learning if were to be used in that way. I wouldn't want it for myself, but that's just me.

February 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  142. Catherine

I wouldn't, because what if something went horribly wrong?! I would want that doctor/nurse to do their best to help me, not sitting down and typing away.

February 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  143. keaton

i wouldn't want my name or a step by step walk through of my surgery on twitter. i dont know where the idea of doing that was brought up but it is a little freaky!

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  144. Liah

I think that twittering job distracts the doctors. While they operate surgeries, they also have to tell their assistants what is happening in patients' body. What if they lay mes in patient's heart and just forget that they did such a thing?

February 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  145. Stephen

I think it would be cool to have my name on a website about my surgery. Hey it could be a cool way to become popular, not that matters but I think it would be pretty cool to here my named be used on a website about how my surgery went!

February 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  146. Skyler

I definitely would not want it talked about. I've never had surgery but, when I do not the whole world needs to know. The doctors should be spending more time focusing on the patient than a website.

February 18, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  147. ROCHELLE

i think it would pretty cool to have my surgery on television. SO WHEN PEOPLE WALK DOWN THE STREET THEY WOULD BE LIKE” HEY WE SAW YOU HAVING SURGERY 2 WEEKS AGO ON T.V THEN I WOULD BE LIKE YEA THAT WAS ME. it’s like making history. (Go Manor High

February 18, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  148. Dave

I don't think that is the right idea because what if another doctor sees this then he can use my technique and go ahead of me, if this is thought in a more practical way.

February 19, 2009 at 4:21 am |
  149. Victoria

I think this discussion ridiculous! How do you think the medical community has advanced? If your doctor could help you by watching someone's operation, then wouldn't you want him to watch it. We are a self serving society.

February 19, 2009 at 6:50 am |
  150. Nestor

I think it can help in complicated diseases, since many doctors can give their opinion.

February 19, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  151. Paul

I think it okay for the OR to share the process on Twitter. This would be okay olny if it is approved by the patient and their family just in case something happens to the patient....

February 19, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  152. julian

i get sick a lot and go to the doctors and i have never heard of a doctor using a chat sit for there gan ... i think that it is smart to use twitter to talk with other doctor or maybe talk to a loved one that they are operating on and tell they how every thing is going threw the operation

February 19, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  153. Jason

I think Twittering is cool...

February 19, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  154. Billy

I think it would be a good idea for keeping the family and friends of the patient informed.

February 19, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  155. Angel

Social networking and surgery at the same time? That's far beyond technology. I really think that is like 2020 technology, did you know that Carl?

February 19, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  156. Adrian

You know, I think it is more than modern technology! I think it is smart and not SO smart at the same time. I wouldn't want surgical events on my Twitter account (if I had one).

February 19, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  157. Shawn

i just don't know what what i would do if i had a tumor and it was being twittering

February 19, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  158. maddison

I really don't think that it is a good idea to be using twitter while your preforming surgery on someone. Because they could not be paying attention, because they will be to busy twittering.

February 19, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  159. Samantha

I think that it would be cool if I was on tv. I want to be a nurse anyways so I'll be on tv sometimes I think.

February 19, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  160. Dylan

I would not want my body on a life line and the doctor is more worried about his status on a social net working website because he could forget to do a procedure and i could die.

February 19, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  161. brady

I would not mine if they showed me on twitter. I would not want to die on twitter though. I would like to be on there though if I didnʻt die.

February 19, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  162. Crystal

I would not like the doctor sharing my business with everyone, what if my surgery went wrong. The whole world will know. Surgery is a private thing not for every one to see.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  163. Alexander

I guess I would be okay with it. But I want the doctor dude to be more focused on me than the twitter. I want to live, not be blogged all over the internet.

February 19, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  164. Wyatt

I don't think I would want my surgery on the tv thats like pretty personal stuff that their showing people on the tv. But on the other hand it is kinda cool that we have found a way to do this.

February 19, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  165. Katey

I wouldn't want my kidney on display on the internet! There might be some weird pervert on there that likes that kind of stuff. What happened to doctor/patient confidentiality?

February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  166. KAtie

I think it would matter to me if a doctor asked if they could put me on twitter. It would matter to me because I would rather have the doctor focused on the surgery more than being focused on the twitter too. I would be concerned that he would mess up because they are trying to do two things art once.

February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  167. Jacob

The idea of my operation being on twitter is just sick. Its really no other peoples buisness. Really, why would you want that? Though if my operation was going to help others, I would be fine about it. Just don't put it on twitter.

February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  168. Sydney

Personally, I would not want anything about me on Twitter. I wouldn't because i dont think the world needs to know what goes on during my surgery.

February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  169. Veronica

I wouldn't want people to know that i have a tumor or any of that! If they kept my name a secret i guess i wouldn't mind. But I'd rather not think about me having a tumor!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  170. Jasmine

I would not want the world knowing my medical condition and situation. Even though it isn't really a big deal, the world doesn't need to know about it. I don't see what significance this holds to the whole medical world. Therefore no, I would not want Twitter involved in my medical operations.

February 19, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  171. Martha

Well, I would rather them be focused more on the surgery than twittering. Seriously, I wouldn't want them using twitter on me because I just want them to focus on the surgery. No matter what they say, I'm still gonna be afraid that they'd get too caught up in the twitter.

February 19, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  172. Geordan

I don't know if I would let them do surgery on me with twitter. Some thing could go wrong. It also might benefit me a little but I still don't know if I would let them do that.

February 19, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  173. Sarah

I don't think that I would mind a doctor telling others about my surgery. As long as they didn't use my name, though. It is important for doctors to discuss with other doctors what the job is like and what can happen to patients. Information is everything in the medical world. Everything has a domino effect. I think this could be an alright thing for people of the medical profession to do, but should not give the name, nor a thorough description of what they look like.

February 19, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  174. Allison

Personally, I have never had surgery and i don't really plan to, but if I did, I wouldn't really care if doctors "twittered" the operation as long as it was not a...um...personal area. It would be weird and if it helped to provide medical research or important information, then I would. I will say that I would request for only doctors to be able to view the operation because if something DOES go wrong, would not feel comfortable about the whole world knowing about it,

February 19, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  175. mariah

I think that it would be cool to have my surgery on t.v but i don't like surgery but you would make good memory of that and you could be famous JK. That would be cool.

February 19, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  176. Alexa

Ugh like no I would not want the whole world to know that I had a tumor and I especially would not want everyone to know what happened during the surgery. To me it would be very weird for everyone to know what happened and for everyone to be talking about my surgery, that is just really weird to me! So no way would I want that to happen.

February 19, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  177. Catherine

i wouldn't want for them to mess up or for something to go wrong.I would want the nurses and doctors to help me not worry about twittering to other people.

February 19, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  178. Dana

I wouldn't want a doctor blogging about my surgery. It would be embarrassing. Even if they didn't use my name, I still wouldn't like it. People might realize that it was me, if they knew I was having an operation. Doctors, please keep the operating room private.

February 19, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  179. Kyler

I wouldn't mind if people wanted to twitter my operation.

February 19, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  180. aric

ill twitter some better puns for you, carl

February 19, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  181. Hannah

No I would not let them put what they are going to do to my body on the computer. That would be one less thing I would let a doctor do to me.

February 19, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  182. Nik

i think its cool they can do that in the ER but carl seriously work you really need to work on your puns

February 19, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  183. yoceline

I think its cool for the fact you are on t.v but I won't feel so calm and cool knowing I have a large tumor on my kidney.So there are two sides one is cool while the other one is sad and painful.

February 19, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  184. Charlie

That would be cool if people knew what was going on. You never know;you could turn out dead or a hero.

February 19, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  185. Charlie

It could also make you famous but the chance of dying because of the assistant twittering is vary small. There are a bunch of other nurses and doctors to take care of the surgery.

February 19, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  186. kara

I think that twittering while in the operating room is still distracting no matter if the sergon is typing or not .

February 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  187. sheila

it looks scary, I'm not up for that!

February 19, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  188. Katie

no, I wouldn't want everyone to know about my surgery. It's very personal and I wouldn't want the world to know about it, even if they promised not to use my name.

February 19, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  189. Mrs. Mertens Class

Twitering during surgery takes the focus off the patient and could prevent the best care at the time.

However, Mrs. Mertens sees a correlation between teens texting during homework or class and doctors twittering during surgery. What is our society setting as an example.

February 19, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  190. megan

i would want twitter because it hepls other docters learn new ways of doing things. If i was having a surgery and something went wrong and they fixed it someone ekse who is having the same surgery the docters could fix that problem easily.

February 19, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  191. mary

i wouldnt want someone to twitter my surgery because its private. yes it can help other docters but the docters can learn what happened later. Not find it on the web where millions of people can see it.

February 19, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  192. marie

I would definetley let them twitter my surgery it would be so cool. To help other docters save a life maybe or just be known on the web. Its cool!

February 19, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  193. ashley

i dont think i want other people to no about what happends to me or my family.. so yes i would mind if they use my name..

February 19, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  194. Brecca

If it was me I would want my operation private! I wouldn't want the world to know about a tomer in body.

February 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  195. Shay

Well I think that Twittering in the operating room is cool and all but I don't think that I would want half the world to know that I was having surgery and know what was going on too!!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  196. myah

i think twittering while doing surgery is weird i just hope they never do that to me. and i hope they let there patient know they were twittering while working on her kidney.

February 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  197. Lydia

No. Something could go very wrong so i would say "NO MORE TWITTERING!":-/

February 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  198. darcey

PSH I myself i wouldnt want someone to go into my body first and formose take a picture, and put it on Twitter! But i mean haha thats just me

February 19, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  199. Ashleigh

If it were me I would not want the whole world to know about what was happening during my operation. I think the person that was being operated on should have a say on whether or not the doctor should twitter about the operation.

February 19, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  200. Lyli

YO! Yes I would love it

February 19, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  201. Katherine

I think that twittering is bad over surgery.I would hate people knowing about my surgery.

February 19, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  202. Griffin

I really don't think I would like my operation being broadcasted on Twitter. It would make me feel very uncomfortable with doctors describing every move they make and wouldn't want everyone knowing that I have a tumor. I think there are other ways that the information of the operation could be sent to other doctors.

February 19, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  203. Ross

I think that the idea of communicating to people via the internet, through Twitter is pretty cool. Though not everyone has a “Twitter”, unlike Facebook. Twitter has not yet caught up to Facebook in terms of users, but has a good amount. This idea of doctors using Twitter is a cool idea.

February 19, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  204. Alex

I think that it is great advances in technoloy and the way that we do things. If i were having a surgery the i would want that put online beacuse if there was a complication then other doctors could help and maybe give suggestions, and save lives.

February 19, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  205. Ricky

Twittering is a cool idea but i would want them to pay close attention to thje surgery. I woukld not want them losing trackof the operation just to twitter. That would suck.

February 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  206. Stephanie

I have had 4 kidney surgeries in the past year and a half. I’ve almost died in the operating room twice during these surgeries. If they had been recording this on twitter instead of focusing on saving my life, I could have died. If they want to inform people on the surgery then just videotape it and twitter it while watching the tape. Don’t freaking risk my life to write something on twitter or to tell someone what to write, I want your focus on me at all times.

February 19, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  207. Felicia

As long as it is ok with the patient i think it is ok. Me personly, i wouldn't want to be posted on twitter though.

February 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  208. Joey

I think that surgery is a pretty private thing. Although i think that it is alright to share it sometimes if it is not to private, but if it is nobody should be sharing it.

February 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  209. Mercedes

i wouldnt want them to explain to twitter of what there doing..... wouldnt want them to mess up the surgey.

February 19, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  210. Donald

People shouldnt care if their surgery is displayed for the world to see. I mean hey at least they are getting medical care.

February 19, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  211. Natalie

well my opinion on twittering is that i think it's cool that people can find out what they are doing on a sergery but, they are probably going to be to buesy twittering, that most like likely something is probably going to go wrong and i dont think anyone want there personal bissness out there.

February 19, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  212. Bridget

I think Doctors should be able too. It could be a learning experience for other doctors

February 19, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  213. Taylor

ummmmmm no not really!

February 19, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  214. lauren

No, I would not want my sugery on TV. It would be dicturbing.

February 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  215. Stephanie

I would not like someone to twitter wile they were preforming surgey on me. i don't want the hole world to know i have a tumor

February 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  216. Jackie

No, I wouldn't want a surgeon going on a social network when he should be concentrated on operating on me!

February 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  217. rbg

why would he even tell people to do that inthe first place

February 19, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  218. rbg

can`t he just be a normal docotor

February 19, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  219. Katie

I wouldn't want the doctors to document my surgery. That would make me mad. It's private business, and kind of disgusting to read about.

February 19, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  220. Katie

I wouldn't want the doctors to write about my surgey. They could get to occupied with Twitter and mess up......

February 19, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  221. Bradley

Yeah, it's cool and all, but doesn't that person want PRIVATE work done on a kidney tumor?

February 19, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  222. Janelle

I would not want my personal surgery posted on a website! If I had a tumor, I would want to keep it to me and my doctors.

February 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  223. Katie

I would be ok with the doctors Twittering during the opration, but only if it was to other doctors. Not just to random kids!!!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  224. kelly

I would not like to have the doctors "Twitter" me while I am being operated on... one reason is that they are not really focusing on me while the operation and another reason is because it is MY private business, no one elses... BESIDES that doctor, and that doctor ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  225. Brittany

If I was the person in the room being operated on I would not mined being twittered as long as they don't say my name.

February 19, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  226. michael

I think that this kinf of stuff should stay private. I dont want people to know whats going on with my body thats for me and my doctor. I would be all for them taking notes and sharing them with other doctors but they would need to keep the name private and no pictuers taken.

February 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  227. brandon

carl is right i would hate that so much!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  228. Tommy

Peoples' medical issues should be kept between themselves and their doctor and family. Twittering displays what is happening through typed words with or without the consent of the person getting operated on.

February 19, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  229. Bella

I would hate for the whole twittering world to know that I had a super-huge tumor, that would not be cool. But some people might actually like to be "famous" like that. Keep on telling your cheesy jokes Carl. We love you.

February 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  230. elisabeth

I would not want the world knowing how much I was bleeding or how gross my huge tumor was during the surgrey!!!!! That is personal and private information!!!!!!

February 20, 2009 at 1:04 am |
  231. Katie

For one I wouldn't like to be having surgery and while I was down they were putting information about my surgery online for the whole world to know about. They should ask the patient before they start putting personal information on the internet.

February 20, 2009 at 2:27 am |
  232. Ryan

Using twitter in the operating room gives a great chance for people across the country. The doctors using twitter are allowing people to get interested in the doctor profession by telling them what doctors do during surgeries. People can read about what is happening in an actual surgery as it is going on.

February 20, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  233. Danni

i dont think that twittering in the operating room is bad i just would like to know if one of my family members or my friends were alright. i think its also a good way for other doctors to learn if they are minors on the operation!

February 20, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  234. Michael

I would think that using Twitter during an operation would be really cool. People would be able to understand what is actually going on within the OR and would be able to know the information real time. The person’s name doesn’t have to be given out, so they could remain anonymous.

February 20, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  235. Sarah

I would definetley care if my surfery was on Twitter, because surgery is a bunch of doctors working on myour body, for crying out loud! Surgery is you having a problem, and then doctors going into work, you don't put surgery on a website where everyone(well, almost everyone)has access to the information about surgery. The doctors can make a book. Therefore, as you can see, my answer is NO they would not be alowed to put my surgery on Twitter. I would say "Go and make a book!"

February 20, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  236. Pedro

That man sure did a bad thing to that womanm,he should go to prison forever.

February 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  237. Ashley

in certain ways i agree but in others i disagree. i agree because it is wrong for a man to hurt a woman under any cercumstances but in ways i aslo disagree with that because violence does not cure another violence. unless someone is using violence to protect themselves. so i dont really see the point in physically hurting him for his wrongs.

February 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  238. Jade

I would let them. Who cares it's me and no one is going to know it was me in all of that wrap that was around her face.

February 20, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  239. Jake

Wow i wouldn't like them to twitter on my operation and what if they got distracted and made a mistake on the operation and it was fatal. That would probably get them fired and wow that doesnt help the economy

February 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  240. lexsis

it depends on what part so idk

February 20, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  241. Ella

I think it would be really cool for doctors to twitter while operating on me. As long as they don't give out any personal information about myself, or show a picture of me, I think it is great that doctors are sharing information on how to do this kind of surgery so others can be saved as well.

February 20, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  242. hannah

I would not want my surgery to be twittered! It is my own buisness.
    but, i would be mad at the doctors because i am about to die if they dont hurry! : ) ❤
    never tell me you are going to twitter my oporation.

February 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  243. j

IT is cool idea. We can save money and it would be one of our experience in life BUT I really don't want to have surgery.

February 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  244. Erin

well it wouldn't really matter unless they say your name

February 20, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  245. hyo-jung

I think it's good idea to use twitter in the operating room, but I think there are lots of mistakes. If I have to do operate in operating room which is in twitter, I wouldn't operate. Because there are good news and bad news. 😦

February 21, 2009 at 2:06 am |
  246. koye

I think the person ho mad his eyes blind shold go to gail for1 year.and should give back the eyes.and plus sould apologise.

February 21, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  247. jaehyun

it is not so bad, using your name. Having a surgery is not such a bad thing. Surgery doesn't always work out. So it shows you were lucky and brave. I doesn't have anny bad effects. What's so bad about doing a surgery?

February 21, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  248. Ruby

I would make sure they didn't use my name.
    I don't know why?
    But it just seems pretty personal.
    But, other than that, I don't really care!
    We Love You, Carl!!

February 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  249. Sung

I think twittering system can help surgery. Other doctors can advice the surgeon and share new techniques. By sharing the each of the useful information, doctors can finish the surgery much more faster and safely.

February 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  250. brandon

i would not want to my sugery being posted if it was my surgery because it invase my privacy. If other people prefer to do that, i don't care about it.

February 23, 2009 at 1:02 am |
  251. kate

That is pretty weird! lol, just thinking about it is pretty funny!

February 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  252. lyla

it really depends on which part....i'm not sure to show up my kidneys up internet, but i think it's good when you can do twittering for patients health.

February 23, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  253. Rebecca

I would not want someone to be on Twitter during an operation.

February 24, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  254. Fanny

i dont think u should twitter while u r in surgery cause maybe the person doesnt want everyone knowing that he or she is in surgery and wut they r haveing surgery on. Then when they find out they might even sew u.

February 24, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  255. Bryce

I think it is disturbing to have someones buissness told to the world. I know I wouldn't like that.

February 24, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  256. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) !

I think that is just gross, I mean if I was the one getting operated on I wouldn't want anyone in the whole world to see it. Plus if something happens and the surgery goes wrong the nwhat will happen, huh. Well i wouldn't want it done on me, but others have their opinions to, so. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's gross, but some people might like it(they'd have to be pretty messed up to do that).

February 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  257. Justin

I think it would be cool to have segre on Twitter.

February 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  258. Ell

NO NO NO NO NO!

I would NEVER want my operations on television.

it would be embarrasing, and the doctor could be too busy with the computer and i would be dying.

February 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  259. Leigh Anne

Depending on the body part sure why not. Though some of the bloody parts shouldn't be added.

February 24, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  260. Courtney

I understand wanting to share the tricks of the trade with fellow doctors so I don't see the problem in being one of the examples. Doctors are simply wanting to analyze and understand their work. Your case could help save a life in the future. Also, the people that review these case studies are likely costructive and respectful doctors. It is not as if they are exploiting or poking fun at your problems.

February 24, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  261. Hwang

I WIll not be able to bear if they use my name!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  262. Charlie

It would be safe because there is one person twittering and many other people working on your body.

February 26, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  263. Kayla

Carl it would depend on what i had. if it was something like a tumor, sure i guess. but if it was a brand new illness, sure i want the world to know that there is something new out there and the doctors are working on a cure. And I wouldnt care if they used my name, honestly, beacuse if it was something serious i absolutly want the world to know it was me. Mostly because i dont want a "mysterious killing" report filed for me.

February 27, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  264. Johnathon

The law for this states the doctor cannot speak about the practice he carries out at work in public; however, if the doctor had no intention of using any private information, then the conversation was completely legal according to law.

February 28, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  265. Amir

I think that it would be acceptable to let them use my name as long as it didn't get out to the general public because they are using it for good purposes. Other doctors should know what goes on in real life surgeries.

March 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  266. Sophia!

If they didn't use your name, it would be all right. Teaching other people important things is necessary, because you never know when they might need them.

March 2, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  267. Cody

Twitter and the operating room is taking a new role. I believe this is good for doctors and medical advances. This also could lead into big technilogical advances in the near future

March 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  268. Tiger

I guess it would be all right. But it depends on want part of my body they are taking about on twitter.

March 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  269. moncia

i she would not want anybody to no how mine thing goes

March 3, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  270. Sophia

As long as nobodu knew who I was I wouldn't mind! 🙂

March 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  271. BOBBY

That is so awesome!!!!!

March 4, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  272. Michael

I guess that I would because its my docter im talking to not some stranger who asks for personal info

March 5, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  273. Betsey

I would think its wierd

March 5, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  274. MICHAEL

i would want them to twitter, it all just depends on the operation

March 8, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  275. Emma

I think this could lead to great discoveries. As long as nobody knows
    my name, I 'd be fine. Some guy who has been studying this operation
    might see the twitter and think "That's it!" and we'll come up with a cure for something all because of the twitter. The only thing I ask is that the assistant does the twittering, not the doctor who is operating.

March 9, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  276. Hanna

Well letting the whole world know my medical condition doesnt sound fun to me, because i dont even like my friends knowning if theres something wrong with me let alone my medical issues. not saying i have medical issues, but some people would rather keep it to themselves. if people want to know what your surgery was like or your case then they should come to your surgery and watch it themselves not talk about it to the whole world!

March 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  277. Abby

Yes it would!!!!!! Would you like it if the world knew how your doctors appiontment went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  278. Sabrina

Twitter in the operating room might not be the best thing ever done. I would be nervous that I wouldnt be fixed properly because the doctor would be side tracked because he is trying to put the procedure on twitter but other people might feel differently. Maybe the person in the operating room on twitter should get paid for being brodcasted on twitter.Ha ha only if that could happen!!!

March 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  279. Denise

If the person in the operating room gives their consent I guess it would be okay.

March 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  280. Ashley

I think it is wrong that scientists get money from the federal government for embryonic stem cell studies. You should not need to study stem cells.I was taught that this is very wrong and is against humanity.

March 10, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  281. Kayleen

I think that it is cool taht they can and would do taht but i would not want my personal experement on that internet where everybody can see waht they are doing to me and what is wrong with me

March 14, 2009 at 7:12 pm |