.
February 5th, 2009

Follow-Up: Michael Phelps Suspended

Olympian Michael Phelps is seeing consequences from a recent photo that shows him appearing to smoke marijuana.  News broke Thursday that USA Swimming was suspending Phelps from competition for three months, during which he won't get any financial support from the organization.  The group says Phelps has "voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust."

Also on Thursday:  The Kellogg company said it wouldn't renew its advertising contract with the swimmer, saying, "Michael's most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg."

Phelps didn't comment immediately on either the Kellogg contract or the USA Swimming suspension.  But you're welcome to tell us what you think of what Phelps is facing.

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Chelsey

Well, Phelps made a very bad decision. He is a role model to kids and adults alike and is an adult himself. He should have known better. Michael Phelps is suffering the consequenses of his actions, which is something you don't see much of in the media anymore. There is a lesson to learn here for everyone, famous or not. I still think what he did was amazing and he deserved every one of those gold medals. He just made a stupid decision.

February 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. nora

Hey carl,

I remember my teacher would always talk about Michel Felps. She said he was a row model for many people, but now shes not sure about that. My teacher also thinks your a goofe ball but my whole class still loves you.

February 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Mr.Sabec's Class

That really upset us how phelps got caught with illegal drugs . We really looked up to him. We have a poster of him and it says any thing possible just follow his footsteps, We think its time to take it down

February 5, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  4. faith

it makes us think about what other heros that might have the same problem.

February 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Amy

What Micheal Phelps did was a really bad thing. That is a illegal drug .
    Everyone makes mistakes but that one was a really bad mistake. I was a really big fan of his.

February 5, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  6. MARY

PHELPS IS NOW FACING THE CONSEQUENCES OF HIS ACTIONS. HE TAKKES RESPONSABILITY OF HIS ACTIONS BY ACCEPTING THE SUSPENSION!! I THINK MICHAEL IS STILL A GOOD ROLE MODEL BECAUSE HE IS STANDING UP FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF HIS ACTION!!!

February 5, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  7. Sam

I think Michael Phelps should get a normal punishment and not a minimal one. This is very unfair and Does Not make sence!!!! Just because he is famous doesn't mean he should get a minimal punishment. Instead suspending his from competing for three monthes they should not let him compete for at the least a year. Or even maybe 10 years!!! This I feel is more important than how many gold medels USA wins in the Olympics!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 12:33 am |
  8. Junghoon

Michael Phelps did something wrong. He should be punished like others for smoking Marijuana. I can't believe that he did this. I really admired Michael Phelps. I don't feel that good about him now...

February 6, 2009 at 4:41 am |
  9. tony

phelps is not good

February 6, 2009 at 6:40 am |
  10. Ryan

Thats what Phelps should get. He made a stupid choice and now he has to face the facts.

February 6, 2009 at 7:40 am |
  11. Mr. Owen's Class

People need to realize that Michael Phelps swims in water, he does not walk on water!

February 6, 2009 at 7:43 am |
  12. Joyce

Well, everybody makes mistakes, and yes, again this is a pretty big one. But he's being responsible for what he's done so we should give him a little credit for that.

February 6, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  13. Colin

I'm different Colin from the guy who posted earlier than me.

February 6, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  14. Marcel

Well there is always consequences for making bad decisions. Phelps now must take full responsibilty for his action.

February 6, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  15. MW & MG

What Michael Phelps did was wrong! He was such a good role model to most people and then he took drugs! If he wants to keep the 8 golden medals going and him being a great swimmer he should have had said NO to drugs! He should has thought twice about his fans and everything it would do to him before he took the drugs. His life is now probably shorter then what was because of the drugs. BAD BOY!!!!!!!!! 😦

February 6, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  16. nick

i dont think he should be suspended just because he was caught doing drugs its not like the was shooten roids other people have done stuff like that and nobody cared so if he want to let him and dont suspend him

February 6, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  17. Kayla

I think he deserves facing consequences for his actions. He is an great athlete, but just because he is famous doesnt mean that he should get off easy, he should be punished like everyone else that has done illegal drugs. I do not look at him as a role model, we have been taught since we were younger not to do drugs, and I believe that he made a decision that makes him look like a bad role model. Just imagine how many kids and adults look up to him and might want to follow in his foot steps, but drugs are stupid, hopefully the ones who think right wont follow Micheal Phelps bad decision. Hopefully he learned his lesson and won’t do it again.

February 6, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  18. chelsea

I dont think they should punish phlps just because he's famous, if somebody else did something wrong and there not famous, they should punish him to. UNFAIR!!!

February 6, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  19. Jason

im not saying its ok to smoke pot, but the man has his own life. if the press werent so hungry, he would still be fine. instead, now he has to make sure everything he does is perfect, just because of something he did back in college

February 6, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  20. chelsea

but still they should punish other people though if they did the same thing

February 6, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  21. Jubin

What does this mean to us? We all rejoiced him but now after he became popular he thought no one would care.We should think about these things when we rejoice people. In my idea he should not be in any major competions because maybe he got addicted to it.Why should we trust him again.

February 6, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  22. Ross

Phelps made a common decision that many Americans do everyday. This type of action is not really something to be disappointed about, because if everything is fine in moderation, then it is an ok thing to do. Millions and millions of Americans smoke marijuana, and it’s not just Michael Phelps.

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  23. Zack

Michelle is dumb to try drugs. I would never try an idiotice idea. If some of us, the middle class, get arrested for doing drugs. He does not deserve any gold meddles. He should keep smoke then quit. tell him to go and smoke his bong.

February 6, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  24. Michael

Michael Phelps is going to experience an extreme amount of criticism for his actions. By losing his contract with Kellogg’s he is not going to be earning as much as he would want, and being suspended for a couple months will also create financial issues.

February 6, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  25. JoHn

i think that michl phelps should go to jail just llike all the other people out there. just cause he was in the olymics dosn't mean that he is more important than any of the other people. the celebs take to much credit that they r famous. they think that they can do anything. no offense to the good celebs out there.

February 6, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  26. daniel r

michiel phelps really made histroy and he was cought doing bad things and was messing whith his reputation now he has a mark aginst him

February 6, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  27. Bonnie

I think when a person is in the media a lot and has several children looking up to them, they should think before they act. Michael should know that just because he is famous doesn't mean he is above the law. Michael deserves to lose the contract and be suspended to send the message that this kind of behavior is not acceptable.

P.S.
    I get extra credit if this is posted on CNN Student News. So, help me out Carl.

February 6, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  28. Adrian

I don't think that there should a consequence for his actions. What he does in his off time should be his own business. The news is too caught up in making celebrities look bad, they should try to remember and focus on the positive things.

The teacher does not agree, a person who is a role model for younger kids should conduct himself in a manner that reflects how young people should act.

February 6, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  29. kara

That is great

February 6, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  30. Cheyenne

I think Michael Phelps was inapropriate and immature. He shoudn't have done that! It totally ruined his image. I am glad that he got suspended but i think it should be for longer than 3 months. That is NOT OK!!!!!!!!!!! He is such a good swimmer! Why did he have to ruin his life by doing that?

February 6, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  31. Jessie

I thought Michael Phelps was a very good role model. But after what he did I am not very sure he is a person that I would want to look up to anymore.

February 6, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  32. Jasmine

Even if he is a superstar he should not be able to do drugs.

February 6, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  33. Jonathan

Phelps said he was sorry for smoking marijuana but in 2004 he said that he was sorry for drinking and driving.

February 6, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  34. Pauline

What is wrong with you man people look up to you at least they did !
    Come on you may have just ruined you life they can take your medals for that you may not be able to turn over a new leaf.

February 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  35. Lauren

I think micheal, indeed, should not have done drugs. It doesnt matter if he says he wont do it again, because like everyone else, he may have an addiction. I dont believe that you should think celebrities are high and mighty compared to us, we are all the same. No need to bow down to a "celeb".

February 6, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  36. Abby

I think people sould not picture this human being as an idol, because he smoked marijuana. He knew it was wrong but he still did it ! I think he sould not be able to swim in the next olympics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  37. Annie (-;

Shame on him! What he had was really great, and now he just went and ruined it! Just like every other celebrity out there.

(-;

February 6, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  38. jordan

you are so awsome because you can do awsome trick's so tell carl azuz I said hello all right its time for me to rap it up so see ya.

February 6, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  39. Bailey

I used to think that Michael Phelps was really cool, and I also love to swim. Just imangine if this pic had not been discovered, how much he could get away with just for being a celebrity. This also makes me wonder if he was "clean" during the olympics.

Also, I think that the law needs to crack down on celebrities wwwaaaayyyy more. If someone in my hometown was found with drugs, they would go right to jail and be there for a while. But celebrities? NO WAY!! getting out the next day is no surprise to the media world, which i think is horrible!

February 6, 2009 at 2:40 pm |

That was a very dumb thing to do. He is a big romodel for other kids and people. The youth is bad enough then you have the dumb stars smoking. clean it up

February 6, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  41. annie

i think that he shouldn't be in that much touble because if someone else did this nobody would care.

February 6, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  42. Jonathan

Phelps said he was sorry about it and will try to regain people's trust but in 2004 he said the same thing when he was caught drinking and driving.

February 6, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  43. Melissa

Phelps is a role model weather he likes it or not and for him to go and smoke pot (which is illegal) he should be punished, weather it is by
    suspension or community service he should take resposiblity for his actions.

February 6, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  44. Joshua

I think that Miichacl Phillps acted irresponsibly because he smoked marajuana.

February 6, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  45. Kaylee

BAD micheal phelps! thats a no no! stop that!
    no more drugs!
    ughhhhh........

February 6, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  46. niikkkii(=

He isnt a god ! People make mistakes .
    D000D3! he took drugs ; congrts . to him .
    everyone just needs to leavee the problem under the rug,
    or he'll become like britteny with everyone bashing her ,
    and he is supppa' cute soOoOoOoOoOo ; its all good in the hoood(=

February 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  47. Jeff

Phelps is just a human. Humans make mistakes. The suspension is understandable but he should not lose his sponsorship over one mistake in judgment.

February 6, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  48. Alina

I think that it's good he's taking responsibility for his actions.

February 6, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  49. Brooke

Carl Azuz is a better role model than Michael Phelps!

February 6, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  50. Utau

He made a mistake and he's being punished, though maybe suspension should be longer than three months... Doesn't matter, at least he's being punished, no special treatment! Perfect example of rule of law!!

February 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm |

I think that mihceal thinks that just cause he is famous that he can do what ever he wants and that would be ok well i have one thing to say hve fun trying to do the 2009 qlympics while your high

February 6, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  52. Ally

I think Michael Phelps should get another chance,as long as he dosen't do drugs again.

February 6, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  53. Lance

phelps made a bad choice and now he has to get his life back together and do somehing

February 6, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  54. Keoni

I believe that Phelps should not get away with the issue with the drugs just because you're famous and a world champion athlete dosen't mean that you should get away with it. I also had used him as my role model during the time I was swimming, but after this issue I have lost my respect for him, that was a very bad choice on his part.

February 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  55. Marissa

I think that he deserved what he got. He made a mistake and he has to learn from it. USA Swimming had every right to suspend him. He and the rest of their people know that their are conquences for your mistakes.

February 6, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  56. bryant

I think that michael phelps was very irresponsible with the decisions he took that night. It was disturbing to see him smoke weed when he is suppose to be a romodle to younger and older people around, but if he can demonstrate that he will take responsibility and charge of his life then he deserves a second chace just like anyone eles would. be cause we are all humans and make mistakes

February 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  57. Marilla

I think that it is horrible that Phelps got caught using illegal drugs. He is someone I used to look up to and i think that that is really sad. At least he is being responsible by trying to earn his trust back and accepting his punishment.

February 6, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  58. Adam

I'm glad he is suspened, but i still think he's a good role model. He did something bad and now he has apoligized. I think I'm one of the only people who has forgiven him truely.

February 6, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  59. Stephanie

The thing is, a lot of Americans dote in idoltry. He is an amazing swimmer, but he is not God! People! He SWIMS in water. He doesn't WALK on water.

Just think about it, marijuana. How sick is that? I understand that many Americans make stupid choices too, but this is out of line. Remember: thousands of Americans joined swimteams because of Phelps. And now are they going to do marijuana because their role model did?

February 6, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  60. Jo

I think Michael Phelps is a grown adult, what he does privately while not hurting anyone is his own business, and anyone who really cares is utterly pathetic. We've got an imploding economy, there must be some more important things to report on.

February 6, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  61. Carlos

Yes it is great but why would he make bad decisions? That is not okay.

February 6, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  62. Kevin

I think that Michal Phelps is a huge insperation to millions of people around the world.He was autistic but he was able to find something he could concentrate on,and I think that he has to many admirers to have done something that stupid.Even though he apogised he still will have millions think that drugs are okay as long as you apologise for it.

DON'T DO THE DOPE!!!!!!!! 😦

February 6, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  63. Dustin

Michael Phelps did an idiotic thing but he should not be suspended. We all make mistakes.

February 6, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  64. April

Just because he is famous doesn't mean he can special treatment!

February 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  65. Marisabela

Micheal Phelps should not of done that bad thing, he was a rolmodel for a good amount kids in the United States. I think it was right for him to be suspended because drugs is not a good thing to be doing, mostly if you famous or if your ot famous at all. DON"T DO DRUGS!

February 6, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  66. j...h...

i think that he is not kewl that he does drugs...he needs to stop....i dont think they should let hi swim anymore...he is letting millions of people and fans down

February 6, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  67. julie

Michael Phelps is still just a normal kid and he made a mistake. What he did is not ok but he deserves a second chance. ♥

February 7, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  68. Bailey

Micheal Phelps is a role model to many people, but i believe he has lost many fans. But people need to realize that he's a human, and humans make mistakes.

February 7, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  69. Jessica

first things first marijuana is NOT a drug!
    Also I think it's funny you always see people drinking in the media!
    cuz it's ok to intoxicate yourself with that crap!

our country is run by huge drug corporations and alcohol companies that are all working to NOT legalize marijuana! gee i wonder why!
    watch "in pot we trust" and American drug war" they will open your eyes to the other side!
    Michael Phelps is still a great athlete and role model nothing has changed in my eyes!
    P.S. if you think Michael Phelps should go to jail WRONG our jails are overcrowded and filled partly with non-violent drug offenders,when the people that should be in jail but are not are sexual offenders and real criminals!!!! minimum sentence laws on marijuana are also to blame...
    Michael shouldn't have to apologize

February 7, 2009 at 12:42 am |
  70. Fang

I thing Phelps should be given another chance but right now he should be abandoned for swimming. He broke the laws of sports, he needs to have some consoquences

February 7, 2009 at 12:45 am |
  71. sadie

i think its fine.....a little bit bad, but still fine

February 7, 2009 at 4:39 am |
  72. Kyle

I think its too harsh. Michael Phelps pretty much won the Olympics for us. Don't we have bigger fish to fry? That guy who sent in the pictures must be a total jerk. The fact is Phelps probably smoked weed before and after the Olympics, now that he got caught doesn't make any difference.

February 7, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  73. Kelly

I didn't expect him to take Marijuana. I agree with Jessie,he was supposed to be a good role model and smoking Marijuana is not what kids want to look up to. He is a very great swimmer and he doesn't need to smoke Marijuana. He made a mistake.But hopefully he doesn't do that again.

February 7, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  74. kelly

I think he should be punished, but just like a normal person. Just because he's famouse dosn't mean he deserveres more or less justice. He will be getting more heat because he is famous, though.

February 7, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  75. Rambrew

Why only in the States does someone who commits an offence, particularily doping, is the consequence only a slap on the wrist? The rest of the world's "professional" athletes get a minimum 2 years suspension. This is a total farce to the system...shame on you!!! Ask Floyd Landis for example. It is too easy to say you are sorry once you get caught. After all what would one say?

February 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  76. chrone

i think he shoud go prson and lose the gold medels

February 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  77. Amber

I think Phelps is getting what he deserves. Just because he is in the public eye does not mean he should get any special treatment. He needs to get his act together and be a positive rolemodel because there are still people that look up to him.

February 7, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  78. Hunter

I hate it, but he deserves it. He got caught in a photo for illegal drugs, and he's paying for it by getting a suspension and losing a Sponsor with Kellogs. Yet it doesn't mean he mean't to do it. I once again bring up the word Peer Pressure. He does have to pay, but doesn't deserve to have his career ruined by Over-Reacting Fans thinking his world his coming to an end!:(

February 7, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  79. Laurel

It's really hard to believe that such a guy with such a future could ruin it like this....I mean, Mr. Phelps was able for so many career opportunities in the future, and a lot with big money involved. I think that he should have acted smarter!
    But, at the same time, he could use this to benifit others. He could teach other people agains marijuana and say what he did was wrong, and that you shouldn't do that, and he could then give himself as an example.

February 7, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  80. Ruby

I think that Micheal is getting what he deserves. If he is going to make a bad decision then this is what is the reaction. Plus, I think that he should feel really bad because he is a role model for kids and other swimmers.
    Shame Shame on you Swimmer.

February 7, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  81. Angela

Well, it seems like it was a one-time thing. It seems like he was just experimenting. I don't think it's a big deal that he did it because it's evident that the drug isn't in his system 24/7, but he does deserve the punishment because this is about his image and his influence as a celebrity.

February 8, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  82. Maddy

I could believe it when I heard it but I guess it's true now.I supported him at my friends house when we watched he just made a bad choice but after that I'm sure he won't do it again

February 8, 2009 at 12:33 am |
  83. Casey

The fame got to him but I still don't think he should be let go just because he is a celebrity. Michael said he was sorry so his fans should take it easy.

February 8, 2009 at 12:37 am |
  84. Erika

I heard someone talking about how if he lets himself take illegal drugs to make him swim worse, what's stopping him from taking drugs that will make him swim better?

February 8, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  85. leighanna

my lil bro has the medical condition that phelps has. he used 2 look up to the guy. he would never stop talkin bout how he would be like him when he grew up. now, im not sure wat my bro wants 2 do after his hero did that

February 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  86. Nathan

He did have what was coming to him, as anyone who took the same path as he did. but at least he took his punishment willingly and he's trying to work his way back to his fans.

February 8, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  87. Juliette

Phelps is very immature to try and do things like that! He is a role model for many people.I thing Phelps is very stupid doing drugs, and should not get to get off the hook just because he is a well known swimmer!!!!! I'm very glad that he was suspended, but I think the amount of time he is suspend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it shoud be longer than 3 months, because thats only around 80 or 90 days!!!!! He is VERY STUPID for doing that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post scipt: Mrs. Mwangi's class ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  88. Adam

Michael Phelps made a bad decision. Most of us do, but when he's back out there winnig gold medals again no one will even remember this. Does anyone remember the DUI candal from 2005?

February 8, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  89. Josh

I think this is a very bad example of a olympic champion and that is a very big disappointment...i think him being suspended is the right thing to do...i hope he actually learns his lesson and never does drugs ever again...i hope he learns a lot from this experience...if he doesn't, he is just a big disappointment...Michael Phelps is a great idol but not if he is going to do bad things like smoke pot. if he lpretnds to learn his lesson... he is a big, very big disappointment...

February 8, 2009 at 8:15 pm |

I think Phelps is getting what he desesrves. Although he was a national "hero", atleast he's losing his sponsers. I hope that this doesn't happen again though, I'm hoping to see him back on top soon.

February 8, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  91. Tate

Yes, Phelps is seen as a role model for many, but just because "my daughter/my son adores him" doesn't mean we should be hounding him over a simple mistake that can be resolved. A gold-winning swimmer is still a person, and nobody's perfect. Expect to see some dirt; their faces on television or in magazines doesn't make someone a virtuous, holy figure, so there's no need for ruffled feathers.
    With all hope this doesn't turn into a serious situation, and he can get himself back on track.
    Michael Phelps forever xoxo

February 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  92. Grace

Phelps made a bad decision -a very bad, stupid decision- and now he's facing the concequences. Sports hero or not, Phelps is a human. We all make mistakes. That's not to say we should let it slide though. He made his decision, he knew it was wrong, now let him face the concequences. He probably knows that people's view of him has changed now that he's not the perfect, record breaking hero we all saw at the Olympics. I think it's smart of him not to comment. Let him lay low, take the concequences, and maybe people's view of him will slowly build back up again.

February 8, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  93. natalia

I really looked up to Micheal he was very inspirational. this just shows the world that drugs can ruin your career , relation ship with people and even your life. its a shame what he did and he really let down allot of people.

February 8, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  94. SaRaH

i think that we all look up to michel phelps as someone who did our country something really great and he is a hero of all people by winning 8 gold medals.so i think it was really wrong of him to take drugs

February 8, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  95. Thomas

I think Phelps deserved all of his consequences. For most people smoking marijuana can get you arrested. I am truly suprised he wasnt arrested.

February 9, 2009 at 7:46 am |
  96. Sammy

I personally do not believe smoking marijuana is a crime. No one has ever died from it, and it has been proven that it is a lot less harmful than a lot of other drugs that are legal: whiskey, rum, gin, etc. I believe people should not make a big deal over Michael Phelps smoking it, and this whole situation should simply blow over.

February 9, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  97. David

Phelps should get the same consequences of any civilian. I don't believe they should strip him of his medals or keep him from competing next time the Olympics rolls around, simply because pot is far from performance-enhancing, and often has the adverse effect.

February 9, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  98. Marianne

He is a man that is supposed to be a role model, not a man of bad influence just like today's fads. He needs to be used an example that whatever you do when you are by yourself is what your truely are and that one day it will be put on blast!!! Now that Phelps' true color is shown he should not be recognized for his achievements, because if we let him stay as a hero in adolscents' eyes then they will think it is okay to smoke marijuana!!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  99. Tina

Michael is just an average guy who happens to be famous and idolized by many. I agree with whoever said something about Brittany Spears. He shouldn't be swarmed by everyone judging him. Just think about if you or someone you knew and were close to was in his position.Yeah, he made a huge mistake, definitely, but everyone needs second chances.

February 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  100. Alicia

Who cares about him doing drugs. he still is cool. just because you make a bad choice do you get attacked with people criticizing you? everyone has an opinion and just because he made a mistake he shouldnt be suspended.

February 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  101. Angel

Phelps screwed up, but in the photo he "appeared" to be smoking, that doesnt mean he was. I agree that he needs to earn US Swimming's trust back.

February 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  102. Trevor

I have mixed feelings about this, first off Phelps' has been baned from pro. swimming activites for the next three months. I think that he should be baned longer, but I also believe that we should get off his back. He won the U.S. nearly fourteen gold metals, we should leave him alone for the time being.

February 9, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  103. Rich

Michael choosing to smoke marijuana is his perspective. If he wants to smoke it, then so be it. People, who don't have anything else better to do than take pics, and try to ruin his career, are a waste of space. It's his chose, and if he gets caught, he has to deal with it.

February 9, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  104. Emmalou

He is just a regular person, he can use mary jane if he chooses, but just like a regular person, he has to suffer the consequenses of getting caught

February 9, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  105. jordan

Micheal Phelps is one of the most popular people now a days. So many young swimmers and young kids look up to him. For him to go out and do something like smoking pot is just stupid. So many kids don't have role models because their role models have either ended up in jail or they do drugs. I'm not saying Micheal Phelps is a bad person because of what he did , I'm just saying that giving up being someone's role model and hero wouldn't be something I would do just for the pleasure and excitement of being high or having a buzz.

February 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  106. evan

i used to love him... but now... he was stupid. i think he should have thought about drugs first before using them.

February 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  107. Drew

I think they did the right thing in suspended Michael Phelps. What he did was just wrong. There's no turning back this time, Michael!

February 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  108. Sarah

I think that the Michael Phelps photo scandal was a hoax. He does not strike me as that kind of person, seeing as he is a HUGE influence on kids, and his photo is on Frosted Flakes Boxes around the country. MIchael is pretty consistent with his eating, exercise and health routines, so I don't thinl he would do this; Drugs and smoking just don't seem to be in his interests.

February 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm |

I think Michael Phelps is an amazing athlete. But, that doesn't cover up the wrong he's done. There is no way to forget this. Sorry, Michael, but it is what it is.

February 9, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  110. Grace

I don't think calling it a 'mistake' lives up to what he did. It wasn't an 'oops, I slipped up.' He knew what he was doing. It probably wasn't the first time he's done it either. He just happened to get caught this time and it ruined his image.

Michael Phelps is an awesome swimmer, granted. But should that excuse him of the concequences he faces? I'm just glad he admitted it and isn't pretending he didn't do it.

February 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  111. Bella

Yes, I think it was a good idea for kellogg's to suspend phelps, but what people need to understand is that Micheal is a normal person like you or me...everyone makes mistakes. I believe Micheal will learn from his.

February 9, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  112. Kayla

No favortism should be put with Micheal. He is like everybody else...besides the fame,the fortune, and the popporatzi on his tail. No matter how famous he is, his actions depend where he is going. It won't be like what he is used to but he deserves it.

February 9, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  113. Lauren and Carlye

When you are famous, it doesn't matter when it comes to facing the law. You break the law, you pay for it, no exceptions. He ruined his reputation, and this time, "Sorry" isn't going to cut it.

February 9, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  114. Alice

He almost lost his life of swimming i hope he'll never do it Think of the kids who want to be like him find out what happened!

February 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  115. Josh

I think michael phelps acted very irresponsibly and horridly for smoking marijuana... this is good that he got suspended for doing this... everyone needs to be punished fairly!!! even if he did win 8gold medals at the Olympics...

February 9, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  116. michael

Okay, he's got 14 gold medals. No one else can say anything close to that. If he wants to smoke some marijuana for fun, more power to him. And when you win 14 golds, you can say something.

February 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  117. Issa

Well if you ask me, give him a break. He is only 23. He made a mistake, and who doesn't. I hear everybody get's asked to try drugs at least once in their life, and he gave into the pressure. I am pretty sure he regrets doing this. He is only human you know.

February 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  118. emoshawna

I think it is wrong that almost all of the people kids have to look up and aspire to be like do drugs or steroids.

February 10, 2009 at 2:42 am |
  119. Abby

Michael Phelps is getting what he deserves. That's all it is. Kapeesh?

February 10, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  120. Dustin

i think the suspension is good 4 dat lil pot head

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  121. Olivia

Micheal Phelps is getting what he deserves. He shouldn't have done that. Kids look up to him. POT IS BAD! 😦

February 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  122. Nick

Who cares if hes suspended. He is still going to go to the next Olympics. It's not like hes going to be addicted to the drug.

February 10, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  123. sean

wow that guy needs to get his life tougher. What i think of what he did its unimaginable he deserved what he got i think that he should be band for swimming for good. kids do stuff but that unacceptable and that was sad he i a fugue of history and a rep of the USA and for all i care he needs to think about what happened and get his life back tougher. I also think that he should be band from the sport. He should do what ti is doing its called giving back not waiting till the suspension he should help others to get his rep back up what he did was worng but i know he wont do it again.

February 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  124. Caity

Yes, Micheal Phelps made a mistake, yes he did something wrong,
    But he admitted he made a mistake, and he owned up to his mistakes. I think people should leave this whole thing alone. Yes he is getting what he deserves but in the end he made a mistake. People smoke Marjuiana all the time anyways. I dont get why people are so obbseed over it anyways. I still think he is a good role model.

February 10, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  125. Madeline

We all know Phelps is good at swimming right.. Everyone famous gets drunk and most people in this world are using drugs. So he got a little out of control... He said his apology so let's forgive him and remember the good Michael Phelps that went to the Olympics..

February 10, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  126. Carson

I think Phelps deserved what he got. Alot of people look up to him, and he let everyone down. I think he deserved getting suspended from the swimming leauge for 3 months, and hopefully he will turn his life back around.

February 10, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  127. Miah

Michael Phelps is amazing, i know he's my hero, and i think that everyone makes mistakes...so why should it matter?? he made a mistake, life goes on.

February 10, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  128. Cindylou

I can't belive he did that! I used to look up to him but know he's in the past. I'm sure alot of other people looked up to him too and are etheir going to follow his example or forget all about him. His life is going to be alot harder now.

February 11, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  129. lindsey

What he did was wrong and he deserves to be punished for it. You can't expect to keep such a good place in the line if you do something like that.

February 11, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  130. Jessica

Michael Phelps is a role model to children AND adults. He must be aware of the higher standards he must uphold. If he doesn't follow the rules and the law, why should kids?

February 11, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  131. Stephanie

I disagree with everyone who says we should just forget about this marijuana incident. NO. We shouldn't just brush this off our shoulders. This is very important. If people see that Phelps can do it and not get in trouble, then they will try. It can become a major epidemic.

February 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  132. darby

I am sad that Michael Phelps has done that. I thought he was a really great swimmer and I feel bad for all the fans of Michael. I hope he will learn his lesson!:(

February 12, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  133. Gump

Looks like dolphin man was getting a little help.

February 12, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  134. tuck

Whatever man, Michael Phelps in my opinion was pretty cool. I know he's a pretty big role model for many kids. Now he's acting like he can do anything. He's stupid for not acknoleging a camera like, i dont know.....right beside him? he's an idiot enough said.

February 12, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  135. olivia

I think Michael is a bad influence because I have seen pictures of him smoking marijuana.

February 12, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  136. Karlee

I don’t think Michael Phelps is a good influence because I heard on the television and seen pictures of him smoking marijuana.

February 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  137. Taylor ♥

i realize that Michael Felps did something wrong and know one should do drugs and everrything but everyone does things wrong every now and then, We cant expect him to be perfect none of us are perfect and I dont think its right that he is getting all of the blame for it it is not completly his fault well it is because he did drugs but he is not a bad personn for it if one of us did drugs no one would take it as serious as the yare to him! :]

February 12, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  138. Cassidi♥

I know that Michael Phelps did something wrong. And I also know that no one should do drugs, because it's illegal. But I think that he should be allowed to go back to swimming once he is clean, and stays clean for at least two months. I think that he is getting the bad wrap for it though. I don't think that everyone should be yelling at him and what not because it might have been his first time doing it, and who knows. Maybe he regrets doing it. I think that they should have to talk to him about it first before doing all of this.

February 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  139. Mackenzie

Michael Phelps is one of the greatest swimmers ever. He made a very bad choice and i don't think he should get let off a little just because he is famous. I think he should get the full amount that he deserves.

February 12, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  140. Bryce

I think that It was a good thing that Phelps was suspended. I think that it will teach him a lesson and that he shouldn't do it again. But i think if they were to perminantley remove him from the swimming organization that would be too much. I think that they might have gone a little too far, but is still good for him. Its not like he was cheating by taking steroids or something like that, he was not smoking so he could make himself better at swimming, he did it for fun or for personal reasons.

February 12, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  141. ♥Morgan♥

I think Michael Phelps should get some slack. ya sure he was caught doing drugs, but lots of famous people do drugs and they’re not suspended from being actors and stuff, and ya it wasn’t like it made him better at swimming, if anything it made him worse. I think the authorities should maybe put him on probation or something but taking him permanently off the swim team is over the top. Also, taking him off the team will also lower the standards of the American Olympic swim team.

February 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  142. Jodi

I think that Phelps acted inapproprietly by doing drugs in the first place, but, he was also younger then and we all make mistakes. Plus, unless he did drugs during the olympics, it had no effect on how he swum. I think the suspension is good, but it should be for a short ammount of time.

February 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  143. Bryce

I think phelps desetved what he did and maybe he learned his lesson and he made a big mistake so lets hope he moves on!

February 13, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  144. olly

I think that Micheael Phelps is just a regular human being and that he has made a big mistake but he still is my favorite swimmer on the planet. I think that if any other person from a swim team had did what he did the media would not have been so big. I think that he is still awsome!!!

February 14, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  145. Lilla

He is not my favorite swimmer anymore!!!

February 14, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  146. Gabriel

Micheal Phelps is (was?) a role model to many people, specially kids and teenagers, not just Americans but for youngsters in many countries around the world.

His sponsors are being hit as well with his image of a druggie, even for just one instance.

He should have thought better, specially because this is not the first time he makes a very big mistake concerning his image and what if affects. Not just sponsors, but people, young people.

February 15, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  147. shelby

i think they should let it go he said he was sorry and he is one of my favorite swimmers. and should not in trouble.:) 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 :):) 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

February 16, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  148. Jon

You guys are all wrong. Phelps smoked weed so what? Many people smoke weed and have gone places- like Bush, Obama. They are all famous. So what he tried it once.... many americans try weed. I dont see a whole bunch of americans being attacked by the media cause of that. So why is Michael Phelps?

February 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  149. Tara

Micheal Phelps even though got caught smoking marijuana is a good person and i think people should just calm down about him smoking. ALOT of celebrities do alot of other worse things and its totally fine and they are still on commercials and other things. smoking is not good but i still think he is a human being and makes mistakes just like evryone does. he is taking responsabilty for his actions and that does make him a good role model.

February 17, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  150. Robert

I think Michael made a mistake but at least he admitted he made one, and for that I respect him. He also said he would never do it again, and I hope he never does, plus everyone has made a mistake. In till he does it again he is still my golden boy.

February 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  151. Shane

Phelps madea mistake. Mistakes have consequences. Phelps will have to exept them.

February 18, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  152. Nicole

I think what he did was wrong, but like he said, every body makes mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  153. Robert

I think Michael made a mistake but at least he admitted he made one, and for that I respect him. He also said he would never do it again, and I hope he never does, plus everyone has made a mistake. In till he does it again he is still my golden boy. He is not setting a bad example, because kids these days are smart enough to not smoke marijuana. Some people say he should be stripped of his medals, but Phelps is just a kid just like us and he will and has learned from his mistakes just like us. If you are one of those people, come back to reality and remember professional athletes are humans too just like me and you.

February 20, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  154. Shar

Every one makes mistakes. I still don't think what he did is right.

February 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  155. hannah

I think michel deserved to get pubished. He i setting a bad exaple on all his fans.Even kids.

February 20, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  156. blue

I think it is stupid that he is getting in trouble for that it was a few years ago and it was just weed. Also I belive that weed should be leagle.

February 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  157. marcella

I think that phelps should be punished for his behavore. He is just like one of us except he happend to be a good swimmer and the law says nothing about professional swimmers have any more rights then regular americans.

February 24, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  158. Gary

I think this shows that its possible to become a professional athelete, and have smoked marijuana, so many people are brought up to think marijuana is such a terrible drug. when apparently its possible to have smoked marijuana, and still win olympic gold.

thatta boy micheal !

February 24, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  159. dustin

February 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  160. lizzy

i think that they should just forgive and forget i mean he did apoligise so why cant they just that apoligy.......!

everybody makes mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  161. Katie

I believe that he deserved the suspension. Stars use the excuse "Oh, I am sorry for being dumb and I won't do it again," and a couple weeks later, there is another "accident". I am just fed up with my idols doing crazy things, such as smoking marijuana. I looked up to the guy (I am a swimmer) and when your someone who has won the olympics and you know everyone is looking up to you, why would you do something so idiotic? Even if they didn't mean for it to be in the papers, that doesn't change anything. They shouldn't have done it in the first place. My little brother, who is 8, always looked up to him, and Michael should remember who is looking up to him. Little kids shouldn't see their heroes doing drugs and getting drunk. They should see, amazing people who haven't ever done anything stupid (like smoking marijuana), it just isn't right.

February 26, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  162. Gabriella and Abby

I'm really dissappointed with him seen in a picture like that because he was my #1 idol, he made a bad choice and he should be punished for that. I always thought he was the role model material and that he had a good influence on peers, and i hope he gets his act back together because i would like to see him back on the olympic team:). I dont think he should get treated any differently than other people just because hes an athlete. Carl, please show this comment on cnn i think its important.

February 27, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  163. Kayla

i dont care what people say, phelps wanted to be best but he thought he couldnt do it without drugs. yes i know everyone makes mistakes, but its his fault that he started doing drugs and let alone get caught. yea hes a real smart one. i dont care if he apoligizes that doesnt change the fact that he did it... and sorry doesnt fix everything.

February 27, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  164. Jaycee

I don't understand why Phelps thinks he's some hot shot that can do drugs, without going in the slammer or to rehab or something!!!!!
    Maybe he's the fastest swimmer and all that, but they should just put him behind bars like they did with Paris Hilton!!! The situations are practiclly the same.

February 28, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  165. Diondra

Well, everybody makes mistakes, and yes, this is a pretty big one.But I still believe that Phelps should be given another chance its not like he did steroids!!!

March 1, 2009 at 12:24 am |
  166. Sophia

I thinkn that being a celebrity he has a lot more presure than we do. I'm not saying they should let him slide he did make a mistake so he should be punished like anyone else. I think it was right for Kellogg to take there brand off him because of the influence. But what Phelps needs to learn is that lots of people look up to him including people who are easily influenced so yes he has more pressure but he should still accept the consequences given!

March 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  167. Jake

Sure, Phelps made a bad decision. But haven't we all? When was the last time you were absolutely perfect? Yes, using drugs is bad and not the answer, but then again, we all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them to keep them from happening again. A lesson that everyone should learn.

March 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |