.
January 28th, 2009

Concerned about Concussions?

I'm pretty sure the concussion I got while riding a bike as a kid could've been prevented if I'd been wearing a helmet.  Fortunately, the concussion wasn't severe, and I don't TOUCH my mountain bike today without putting the helmet on first. 

But I was pretty surprised by one of the facts you hear in Thursday's show:  that once you have had a concussion, doctors say another is more likely.  Does this make you more concerned about these injuries?  I know a lot of you football players have taken a few (or many) hits, and that's part of the game.  But did seeing Thursday's report make you any more likely to take time to heal afterward, or are you still going to hit the field ASAP?

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Oversby

yeah when i was a little kid i never wore my helmet until i seen someone get really hurt from it. so for now on i will always wear a helmet.

January 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  2. kahleb

I am going to hit and play my heart out.But when an injury happens and its sever, than i would take some time off.

January 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  3. John

As a concusion occurs you may never realize that you have one, even a serious one until signs show. This could lead to severe mental problems and sometimes paralization

January 29, 2009 at 3:30 am |
  4. James

well after hearing about it's kind of scary.. Because I hit my head whenever i'm stressed!!

January 29, 2009 at 5:03 am |
  5. Colin

Well I'm more on the safe side. My mom and dad are very concerned with health so I am also concerned. That guy who was on the news really look depressed. I don't wanna be like THAT when I grow up. So I think I'll rest for even a minor blow to the head.
    (Really, I think I won't even have a chance of concussion. In where I'm living people even don't know what touchdown is. And my bike was stolen years ago so I can't drive bikes.)

January 29, 2009 at 6:26 am |
  6. Matthew

I'd be careful out there. I honestly don't like to even wtch injuries, they make me gasp and freak out.

January 29, 2009 at 6:30 am |
  7. David

really, what is sport all about?it's about bouncing along and sometimes getting hurt but what's the big fuss? a minor stress in the head doesn't mean you are doomed.so if i do have these concussions I'll go straight to the fields.(and if i has these brain whatever it's good enought for me 'cause i won't have to study again.)

January 29, 2009 at 6:35 am |
  8. Mrs. D

Continue the puns without a doubt. My middle school students look forward to your humorous comments – good or bad!

January 29, 2009 at 7:43 am |
  9. Gabriel

Yeah I have never had one (I hope I never do), but when I was a kid I used to ride my bike without my helmet. Then when I got older and started riding in the streets I was forced to wear a helmet... don't want a concussion... or worse... a broken head.

January 29, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  10. Alina

I always wear a helmet, but I'd still take some time off.

January 29, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  11. Mr. Panamarczuk's 1st Block Class

Most people take wearing helmet for granted because they think it is not cool. They should care more about safety and less about looking cool.

January 29, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  12. Sara

I wasn't even really athletic to begin with. Now, when I do play a sport, I'm going to be even more careful about injury. This new information sure does make me more concerned about concussions...I mean, one concussion is bad enough, if it makes you more likely to get more, then everyone needs to know.

January 29, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  13. Anabel

Your brain is one of the most important organs including the heart, in my opinion people should be more concerned about their health. Remember, you only have one life, so make it fun and stay healthy.

January 29, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  14. TJ

I dont think that I would be more concerned about getting a concussion then I am right now. If I got one I would take a day off from doing what I usally do then get back to it asap.

January 29, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  15. CJ

One concussion is fine but if you have several you might wanna take some time off if you start to have some problems.I want to know what happens in the long run if you get several concussions.I wonder if it will give you a higher risk for memory loss when you are old and wrinkley.

January 29, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  16. Jessica

If I saw my brain after a concussion and heard if you got a concussion your more likely to get another I would be at home on my computer resting watching the CNN student News. Thats Really weird how your brain turns that way. My friend had a few concussions and he... Nevermind...

January 29, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  17. Tim

I don't think I will take any more caution to prevent a concussion then what I already have. I dont play football for school but I do with my friends and we dont have the money to get the stuff the school has. If we do get the equipment I'm sure we will lose them or some people would think we stole them from school.

January 29, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  18. Chloe

I believe that it is a vital part of safety to let yourself heal after a concussion. Hitting the field ASAP to live life at the moment may not be worth it looking back on life with wistful thoughts of how it would be if you hadn't taken that risk.

January 29, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  19. Jeremiah

It doesn`t make me more concerned about injuries because I don`t do anything that I can get a concussion from, like riding a bike, or going outside. All I do is sleep, and go to school.

January 29, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  20. Guy

Being a football fan I've witnessed many concussions. The latest victim was Willis McGahee of the Ravens. But as Carl remarked you're more likely to suffer from another concussion after you've gotton one. So what is the difference of taking 2 days of rest rather than a week your still likely so why not go out and help your team.

January 29, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  21. gwen!!! and haley!!!

I NEVER WANT TO GET A CONCUSSION EVER~!!!!~ NEVER EVER FOR EVER NEVER EVER!!!!

January 29, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  22. Eliza and Allison

We think its weird that the scientists asked athletes to donate there brains!!!! EWWWWWW

January 29, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  23. Abby and Maya!!!!!

That makes me scared to play football. I don't usually play football anyway but it doesn't matter. It's really scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

January 29, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  24. Shawn

i think that concussions really hurt you i played football and never got a concussion but i think thats what football is all about

January 29, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  25. merrill

That football player's brain looked like it was stepped on. Like a smashed egg.

January 29, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  26. Devin

I'm not really that worried about concussions because I doubt I'll do anything that will break my head, unless I decide to jump in the crowd at my concert (Which I won't.)

January 29, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  27. izaak

I think that it's weird that cuncusions will start more cuncusions totally strange, yet kind of obvious. I mean think about it... ...if you have a scar and you do the thing that causes the scar again then you'll most likely open up that scar again.

January 29, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  28. Grace

Well I haven't had a concussion, but it makes me more aware about them. So if I get one and then another I won't think I'm cursed or anything. So I thank you.

January 29, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  29. MATT

I think that my brain is like the 70 year olds brain.

January 29, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  30. Elena

I think we should find some sort of way to see if athletes brains are being affected while they're still alive. I also think that sports players should be wearing really hard protective helmets all the time.

January 29, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  31. Deldar

I think I would still go out and do the sports I really like I think I would just try to enjoy playing and not hit my head as much, if possible.

January 29, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  32. Bull RIder

I am a bull rider and I can say that I have had around eight maybe six or seven concisions in my short career. I don't think that they're that big of a deal but its still cool to be able to say that I've had eight concussions

January 29, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  33. Devin

i have had 1 or 2 concussions in my life and i no that they are not all from football or other sports

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  34. Josh

I think that it is the athleteʻs choice whether or not they want concussions. Itʻs pretty bad that they can get concussions playing a sport but they will have to deal with it. Probably thousands of people that have played football have concussions. Maybe the NFL should make the helmets more padded, so they could prevent brain damage and all of that.

January 29, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  35. Alexander

I don't play that sport. I do cross country. If I played football as much as I love to run, I'd still go out there day after day even if I would get hammered.

January 29, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  36. Todd

Concussions happen a lot in football, I know a lot of people who have had concussions but I wouldn't stop playing.

January 29, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  37. Emmett

I would like to get to the field as quick as I can I mean you have to get hit sometime or another.

January 29, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  38. Devon

It kinda makes me concerned because there a helmets they make that are concussion proof. They are called Revolution. But they can't stop the power of a pain train.

January 29, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  39. Brittany

After seeing the pictures on the show I am more concerned about sports injuries. When you play sports, things get rough. You just can't help it, but it is something I am not worried about. I don't play Football or any sports that are contact. But if I get a concussion, then I would start to worry about things.

January 29, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  40. Brian

I got a video game it is madden 06 and when i play a game they barly get a player a concusion.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  41. Mitch

College trains you to do good in the pro so if you get hurt often then that person should re-consider their position in football.

January 29, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  42. br00ke :)

well I would probably hit the field that is if the doctors said I could if they didn't though I might not that is only if it is seriously bad, I would still want to play and be a part of the team and everything. Wouldn't you?

January 29, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  43. alexandria

I would be really bad if someone had so many concussions that they would die or some thing. I would never want that to happen.

January 29, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  44. Ben

I know that stuff about concussions whithc kind of scares me . Anyways My mom always makes me wear a helmet when I ride my bike anyway so yeah I didnt know about that stuff

January 29, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  45. Dylan ™

I play football and i can honestly say i have never had a concussion but i have a lot of friends that have had a concussion. But i don't think we should be interviewing pro football players about them because everyone in the NFL has probably had one.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  46. fiona

Wear a helmet

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  47. Jo

Yes, I am very concerned about this because, 1: I'm a worrywart. 2: I play sports and 3: I don't want my brain to look like that. Maybe I should stop banging my head against my steel door first...

January 29, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  48. josh

That is so weird how that brain looked so wavy

January 29, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  49. Connor

I think they should just add more padding to there helmets

January 29, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  50. Lea

OUCH....thats all I can say....

January 29, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  51. Brittany!!

There are many sports and moments when people can get a concussions. Just as long you are safe and aware of what is around you, but you should be just fine for the most part. I think that people should be concerned of getting a concussion.

January 29, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  52. Aaron

i would be concerned about concussions if i played football. i play baseball, but i never thought about getting a concussion in that.

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  53. Gimme

Ya I personally think concussions are really bad and the people that get them are in trouble. But for a hockey player I think concussions aren't hard to get and getting hit and hitting hard is REALLY fun!

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  54. Kaitlyn

It is kinda freaky that if you get that many concussions you can damage your brain that severely. I would hate to have my brain look like that. I think that it is good that they are doing the research to try and figure out how to cure athletes brain if that happens to them, then hopefully they can stop the side affects.

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  55. clark

I think that if you get a concussion and you notice it then you should take at least a month or two. You should still play your hardest even though you might get a concussion.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  56. samuel

i dont think it matters they should just leave it the way it is

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  57. nicholas

When I was little I never wore my helmet and never got a concussion. When I saw skatboarders getting concussions almost all the time, I started wearing my helmet and I still do today.

January 29, 2009 at 10:57 am |

i think they should make special helmets so like you cant get a concussion

January 29, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  59. Espen

I have not had a concussion I don't think. I have seen people get concussions before.

January 29, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  60. matt

I think that i would probably quit if i knew i was going to get bad side effects. (do you have facebook carl?)

January 29, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  61. Moira

That's really scary! I don't want to be an athlete any more! Okay, just kidding but I'll will be WAY more careful now.

January 29, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  62. Nattlez

This did not really make me concerned about concussions but if i would have seen it happen to someone then i probably would be a little bit more cautious when i play sports.

January 29, 2009 at 11:26 am |

I wouold hate to get concutions like that!! just looking at the differnce between an athletes brain and a healthy brain makes me wanna puke.
    Im going to wear a helmet more often now.

January 29, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  64. Micah

I don't really care about the concussions because like I am going to go in the NFL and I am going to probably get concussions but that doesn't do anything to me except make me stupid but I not going to let a concussion stop me from playing football.

January 29, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  65. molly

I have never had a concussion before and I don't football so i'm glad, and how do you have your brain taken out and have it be experimented on? do they give you a extra brain while you let them do that or do you die?

January 29, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  66. Tori

you should always were a helmet with any sport or physical sport even if you are just going for a ride on a bike.

January 29, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  67. Quinn

its a good idea on donating your brain it will help a lot with seeing how the different in other peoples brains

January 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  68. alex

well i don't care for football so i'd probably get off the field.

January 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  69. Ben

I do think it is an issue but i think it happens in other sports 2 like hockey.but then players are choosing to do that so i don't really see a problem.

January 29, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  70. Currents Events Club

We think that concussions are bad. Sometimes you forget important things. They should add more safety to the helmets.

January 29, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  71. anthony

um i dont need to were a helmet i am the best in the world aand i think u still need training wheels ahaha but good job!!

January 29, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  72. sammy

it should matter what your hiar looks like as long as your good at the job

January 29, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  73. B.C.

One time when i was a kid i went down a hill on the road fell off and did a faceplant, i did not wear a helmet and i still don't

January 29, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  74. Hailey

If i got a concussion i would let it heal before i went out to play a sport again. I wouldn't want to risk getting another one.

January 29, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  75. Mr. Miller

I think that this information was important to share with students. They do not always receive all of the health information that they need.

January 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  76. Brecca

I never were a helmet but when I can ride my bike again I will!

January 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  77. Brandon

I disagree with the comment made by Guy that there is no difference of taking two days of rest rather than a week so you might as well help out your team. While being part of a team does require that you devote time and thoughts to your teammates, you also have to consider your own well-being. I wonder what you would do if you were the one with the concussion. Would you rush right back to the field? Judging by your comment and your opinion of teamwork I think you would rush back to the field. But for what, a few more years of concussions and tackles? Is it really worth it? Because if it is now will it still be worth it in a couple of years when you have out of control anger issues and extensive brain damage? Trust my opinion. It won't be.

January 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  78. Kialan

hi i love cnn ! me from japan ! i love you carl !!!!

January 29, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  79. AJ

A football player would get concerned about concussions, because people who play football smack into other people, and that is when you could get a concussion. But not being a football player, you still could have a concussion, so if you get concussions alot, I would be concerned about concussions.

January 29, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  80. Paige

I'm always going to play my hardest, but if I get injured I'll hit the bench. The best thing I can do for my team is to cheer them on.

January 29, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  81. Kittie

I think that sports teams should be concerned because it will hurt players in the long run,and during their football career in many different ways. They need to take action by making the helmets safer.

January 29, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  82. Giggles

Not at all, and why did they only contact the NFL? Hockey has just as much contact, and same with a lot of other sports. And it's the players choice if they want to take that risk.

January 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  83. casey

I think its just a part of sports,and you got to go out and help your team!

January 29, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  84. Kat

Thursday's news about concussions freaked me out! Now I"m getting secound thoughts about being a famous NFL player. But If I do presue my dreams I'll make sure I wear a helmet.

January 29, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  85. James

well, after hearing about it, it's kinda scary. A little brain damage could turn into bad thing... I should stop hitting my head.

January 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  86. Utau

I remember hitting my head on concrete when I was little (It didn't break open or anything), but I'm not sure if I had a concussion. And I don't play sports, but I'd advise maybe using more padding on helmets to MAYBE stop all the serious injuries. And If it was me I'd definitely be careful and rest a LONG time after a sports injury.

January 29, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  87. Emily

I got a concussion when i was like 12 or 13 years old while falling into a pool. Sounds stupid right. The doctor told me I should take a rest and I did. I think that its smart to rest, heal, and recover. If you jump back into it too soon. It could be dangerous.

January 29, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  88. brandon

I have never had a concussion. plus i dont want. one

January 29, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  89. Brandon

I have never played football and now i wont. Because im afraid of getting a concussion. I have played basketball and soccer just not football. thanks carl

January 29, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  90. Carlos

I'm not concerned about concussions and that has got to hurt because once you get a concussion you'll get headaches you also get enraged and then you will be okay but your brain will be damaged.

January 29, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  91. Dizzle

I think concussons are bad and they need to be better NOW!!! I would also like to say hi to Gregy... Hi

January 29, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  92. Nate

Concussons aren't a concern to me because im a tough guy and everyone else needs to be less afraid and just be chill

January 29, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  93. Nate

I am not cocerned because I haven't gotten one so I have less chance of getting one and I think people need to be more focused on the game that getting hurt.

January 29, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  94. Joshuwa

I am not concernerd because i have been playing football since i was five and to this day i still haven't gotten a concussion. So my theory is don't worry about them.

January 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  95. Joshuwa

I am not concerned because i have been playing football since i was five and to this day i still haven't gotten a concussion. So my theory is don't worry about it and just go play.

January 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  96. Nate

I am really scared now and I don't want to be hurt or have a bad brain like the ones on yesterday's show. I also think that if you have had one you need to put a helmet on and be more cautious

January 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  97. Auggie

I think scientists should make a helmet that has a TON of padding.
    I never got why football players are so aggresive anyway after all it is just a game!

January 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  98. Ana

I am a cheerleader not a football player, but if I was a football player and got a concussion then I would rest. Its better to be healthy than get money by playing football.

January 29, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  99. Angel

sounds kind of freaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  100. Caren

I wouldn't risk getting a concussion by playing footbal,, but if your heart dearly wants it, I guess you could risk it and play.

January 29, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  101. Chad

It makes me more concered about injuries because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

January 29, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  102. Keir

if Iwere in a sport and got concussion, I would stop playing the sport I got in ( You won't see me like all the other players who keep going after a really bad concussion) but thats just my opion

January 29, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  103. Katie

I've often been hit in the head with basketballs during school and felt dizzy afterwards. Would this be considered a concussion? I feel that people – especially football players – should rest for an extended period of time after receiving a concussion in order to heal properly. Maybe there should be a rule on how long you should rest, or how many times your aloud to get hit before having to be taken out in football.

January 29, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  104. Kayla

I think that people are already concerned enough about the issue and are still being careful not to get one of these injuries. Besides I don't think alot of people get these injuries very often so i say it is nothing to worry about!

January 29, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  105. Matthew

I got a concussion once by hitting my head on the base of a lightpost and I havent had one again. I have had some cases almost as bad as that and im fine. Maby its because I've only had one I dont know.

January 29, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  106. ivan

i played football and you can get some pretty nasty blows to the head if you dont wear your helmet

January 29, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  107. Jessica

I understand that you want to give your team all that you have to win it. However, when it comes to your health you should think twice before hitting the field after a serious concussion.

January 29, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  108. Tristan

Im a big football fan and seeing people get hurt like that is really scary so now i have decieded not to play football!!!!!
    seeing Trent Green get several concussion. Willis McGahee this past playoff match against Steelers was really ewwww!!haha
    and speaking of the Steelers Big Ben too got one while riding his motorcycle that was scary too
    Oh and GO CARDINALS!!!!! good luck at the super bowl hahaha

January 29, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  109. Rachelle

I think that concussions are serious!!! But some poeple take it little too seriuosly. i mean if u just hit or head barely, it shouldn't be a big fuss. But if like a football player got hit in the head really hard, then he should take a couple dayz to a week in bed.......

January 29, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  110. Carlos

im a huge football fan I've seen lots and lots of people in the nfl get a concussion and seeing that kind of injury i think is the worst injury too get.If i were Ted Johnson i would be scared out of my mind.So even if im a huge football fan i would still not play in the NFL its too rough and i would'nt want a concussion.So i am going to Basketball just hope you cant get a concussion there

January 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  111. Meg

I don't really do anything that could give a concussion to you. I don't do that much dangerous stuff. I guess if you fell out of bed in your sleep you could get one. Or you get hit in the head really hard with an egg or something at lunch.Or you get slammed with a locker. But those are very unlikely. So I think I'm safe.
    =D

January 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  112. TJ

Of the few concussions that I've gotten I've only had to go to the hospital once and nothing bad has happened. Even after those I still do very well in school but i do think that concussions do some damage but I think it will take alot of them to do big damage.

January 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  113. Ariel

I think that one should be cautious, and take it easy, but being overly paranoid about a recurring concussion is a bit much.

January 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  114. brandy

Since I wouldn't want to injury myself to where i would have any long term or major impacts in my life.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  115. Mark

Well, I would hit the field ASAP. About the concussion thing, I thought that was what helmets were for. And your common sense, right? If I'm wrong please say so. I've really never played football in a league. I just watch it alot.

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  116. Julia

I've had a concussion before. It was not fun. I blacked out and I can't remember that day. I was on a zip line ten feet up and the zip line didn't have a harness. I was jolted to hard and couldn't hold on. I fell off and hit my face on the rocks and dirt below. My whole left side of my face was bloody and cut. I went to the Emergency Room and the doctor cleaned up my faced and took several CAT scans. I also broke my wrist that day! NOT FUN!

January 29, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  117. Rudy

As long I can see the field and the players and still remember the plays, I can still go out there and win those touchdowns!

January 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  118. Andrea

I think it is very important to rest after a concussion. You need to give your body time to recover and rest. I never go on my bike without a helmet. I am always trying to be careful and take care of myself and others around me.

January 29, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  119. Maddy

Hi Carl,
    I will definently take time to heal after i get a concussion again. Thursday's show taught me a lot. I have many friends that have had concussions and they also love your show. I am going to talk to them about healing first before they hit the soccer fielt again!

January 30, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  120. Matt

I think it is great that this person is getting the word out about the danger of concussions being hit in the head can affect how your brain thinks later on in life. I would much rather watch things like football rather than risk permanent brain damage.

January 30, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  121. griffin

People are being babys! If you are going to play a contact sport like football or lacross, you're going to get hurt sometime. It dosent mater if it is a concusion or a broken bone its part of the game.

January 30, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  122. Jerry

I think people should be more concerned about head injuries. Especially because after having it multiple times you could be very sick mentally and can possibly die.

January 30, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  123. Kayla

Hi, I think that it is kinda cool to see that. I have had two concussions in my life when I was in 5th an 7th grade. I play sports. Softball, volleyball, basketball, track, and I play football with my brothers. So now I am KINDA freaked out about playing some of thoughs, but it won't stop me from playing. (:

January 30, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  124. Gump

Ow!!!!!

January 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  125. Damion

I dont realy think that it is a big deal because it doesnt realy hirt

January 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  126. Jeff

I watch a lot of football, college and the Pro's I have never heard an announcer say that its only a concussion that player will be right back in a play or two. I agree concussions are bad, but lets not make things up. Teams don't want players making millions of dollars to be hurt, they do there best to protect them. How about running a program that shows the concerns of coaches, athletes and teammates when one of their own is injured with a concussion.

January 30, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  127. Kole

I have a pet Named DUMA and he is my best friend ever i love him more than anything cause he is my boy he is the thing that keeps me going. Duma means the world to me and i would definitely pay 150 grand to clone him and still have him.

January 30, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  128. Roy

I played football a lot in my soffmore year and when a teammate got a concussion he started throwing up on the side lines and passed out. Now when I play any sports I get worried about if it will happen to me. And Carl, get some better puns!

January 30, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  129. zach

i just got a concussion today! fell over a kid in gym and slamned my head into the ground. so now i have a giant lump stickinout of the side of my head and im sleepy but the teachers wont let me go to bed for the fear of me going into a coma and never commingout. it would be AWESOME if you guys talked about my comment on the cnn student news, i would be like.. the coolest guy in the school. peace.

January 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  130. zane

after the first concushion, i would have stoped for a while

January 30, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  131. Nathan

Cuncussions lead to memory loss. John Grimsley, a linebacker for the Houston Oilers, suffered 9 cuncussions over his 9-year career. While he was cleaning his gun, it went off. His wife contributes his death to him forgetting the gun was loaded.

January 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  132. Shelby

I think it would be kind of freaky to have a concusion cause i play a lot of contact sports.

January 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  133. Kimi

I think it was really interesting and slightly horrifying to hear about how much damage these injuries can cause. I was watching football movie last week and the guy got this killer concussion, but the coach (being the antagonist and all) had him play anyways, and you could see even then the damage it caused. (pretty good acting for something like that too)

January 30, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  134. Miriam

I wouldn't spend THAT much money on cloning a dog. If anything, I would try to find a dog that liiked a lot like my old dog. They must REALLY haved loved that dog. I hope that their new dog is just like their old one.

January 30, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  135. Miriam

I have never worn a helmet, and I'm thirteen! So I really don't worry about safety pads or any thing like that, most kids at my age don't. I'm more of a girly girl anyway so I never had a concusion from sports. Now that I think about it, I've never had a concusion period.

January 30, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  136. Ian

I feel bad for the atheletes with these concussions. it must stink losing memory.

January 30, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  137. Haley

That is a scary thing to think about, lots of close friends' brain's are being fried! Are all athletes in danger? EKKK!!!

January 31, 2009 at 12:17 am |
  138. andrew

i say if you really like the sport go ahead put 110% into wht ever it is your doing

February 1, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  139. ip123

73 year old basketball player? I think that's ridiculous. If your out on a court, 73 years old, you could get flattened immeadietly. Besides, with the economic crisis, why would you want to spend money on that?

February 2, 2009 at 5:20 am |
  140. josh

FOOTBALL ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  141. Charlotte

Well, having a concussion is not fun. I had one when I was about 7 from falling down stairs really hard. It hurt, and there is damage on my brain, and it does mess it up. So, everyone out there, make sure that you be very careful, and don't be as clumsy as I was.

February 2, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  142. Christine

It seems scary that when you have suffered a concussion, their's a high chance that you will recieve another. I like this article because it tells me the outcome of what might happen if i don't wear my helmet when i ride anything that has wheels on it.(exept a car.)

February 2, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  143. Raneem*

Well if playing football is that hurtfull then stop playing it DUH !!??

but if you love it enough to hurt yourself like that then you should give it 110 %
    =)

February 2, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  144. Kota

I don't think people should keep spending all the time thinking about one famous person smoking weed and focus on the millions of other people that have the same problem and other worse drug problems.

February 3, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  145. jafen

phelps was my model untill he started doing illigel stuff

February 3, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  146. Rachel

carl
    that is a pretty scary thought. concussions are not by any means fun, so having a higher possiblity to have ANOTHER one, well that just sucks. big time. is there any way to stop it?

February 3, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  147. Rachel

Once, this kid at my brothers 6th birthday party slammed my bro's head into the wall. He had to get stitches. I had no clue what had happened. I was only 3 years old!

February 3, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  148. Natasha

I think that if a person loves the sport they are not going to waste any time getting back into it. If you look at teenagers they act upon impulse and probably would care more about the big game on Friday and not looking like a sissie than that a concussion could cause them brain damage earlier in life if they don't allow it to heal.

February 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  149. phil

i myself play(ed) college football. i made the mistake of not reporting 2 concussions in HS. As i went on to play in college a third came shortly after, i tried to come back too fast and got another. during spring ball i was once again putting my all into the game and i got my last concussion. i constantly have headaches, during the superbowl i was standing watching a commercial and just fell over out of no where. For anyone who thinks they can over come a concussion with nothing to worry about. Remember my story and that i love the game of football, but in the end im paying for it with weekly headaches, random dizzines, and an overall lack of comprehensiveness.

February 4, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  150. Cassie

This subject was very interesting to me. I'm a Major athlete and i have taken a few good hits but i never thought that they were making it more likely to get a concusion again. Well that definatly gives me a hint to take it easier on the court.

February 4, 2009 at 12:26 am |
  151. Bri

Hearing that once you have a concussion you are more likely to have another it does make me feel like I need to be more careful about what I do. I mean I am a very clumsy and not very balanced person, but I guess that with the information I read I need to be more careful.

February 4, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  152. Conrad

I play football. I would like to do tackle next year, so this story will make me ten times more cautious out on the field, thanks.

February 5, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  153. Danielle

I never have to worry about getting a concussion...except that time I flipped my snowmobile on the lake and smashed my head, but there was no harm done. It didn't even hurt. I just flipped it back over and kept on driving. My brother is the one I worry about, because he said he got two concussions from snowboarding, but he doesn't care...he will do ANYTHING stupid. I should know.:):):)

February 6, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  154. Bailey

Playing all types of sports, concussions are always a worry. I think I have suffered like five, none serious, but still, after learning this, I am going to be way more careful.

February 6, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  155. Kendyll

Well, I was plaing football last year and somehow ( To long of a story to explain ) I got kneed in the head. I didnt end up witha concussion but I kept hitting my head everywhere. I'd get dizzy and everything, but no matter what I'd still keep playing.
    Getting hurt is apart of childhood, somethings can prevent injuries others are supposed to happen.

February 6, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  156. Meredith

Now that this story was aired, all of my friends are like, "Concussion!" when someone heads the ball at soccer practice. We all realize that its a possibility, and are careful, but mainly we don't worry and just try to have fun. I agree with Kendyll, getting hurt IS a part of childhood, and sometimes your injuries make the best stories! 🙂

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  157. kelsey

u ppl should leave the ppl alone cause it is their choice if they wont to play a contact sport and im sure that they no bout the risks of injuries so leave them alone

February 10, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  158. Jodi

Yeah.... concussions are a big deal, but I've never had one, so the idea of getting one doesn't freak me out. I play hockey as the goalie, and 25% of the shots are shots to the head... usually I just shake it off. If the doctor told me to rest like the guy in this story, I dont think I would be able to.

February 12, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  159. alec

I think you whimps from cnn should stop worrying about concussions because i am a first yoar bantom in hockey and get a minor concussion at least once every two games and i do not complain i take advil and go back on the ice so there.

February 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  160. Cheyanne

In sports it gets me mad sometimes when players get hit really hard and then it turns out the have gotten a concushion, and they don't even do anything about it they just let the players go back in the game!
    😦

February 17, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  161. jordan

hey cooncussins they are so cool to get concussions:P loser doctor :):P

February 17, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  162. Erwin

I think people should let themselves heal up after they get a concussion because they might not be so lucky the next time!

February 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  163. Kayla

well i never had a concussion, and i depends if i would go back to the feild if i were a football player.

February 27, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  164. tyler

i got a concusioun today dont even thing i speeled it right mine was minor but it still hurt and i keep forgetting little things

March 19, 2009 at 2:21 pm |