January 7th, 2009

The President's Limo

The burning question I had after seeing Jeanne Meserve's report on the president's limousine was, "How much does it weigh?"  You KNOW it costs a fortune, and that's fine - it's got to be the safest car in the country.  But consider this:  The average sedan weighs around 3,000 pounds.  Meserve reported that the GLASS ALONE on an older presidential limo weighed 6,000 pounds.  And you'll have to add that to reinforced doors, possible vault locks, some sort of composite body...  All that adds up to one serious beast - hence the name - and begs the questions:  What kind of gas mileage will this thing get?  And what kind of engine would it take to get the car moving faster than 45 miles per hour?

Let's say you landed a job as the president's driver.  Think about what kind of car (or truck, or SUV, or tank) you'd feel the most confident in as you chauffeured the leader of the free world...

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Ben

i don't think that its anyones buisness to what the car wieghs and how secure it is. I t's the president car he can have it however he wants.

January 7, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Krystine

I think that it's important that the President of the United States is safe and if I were chauffeuring the President I would feel most safe in a truck of almost any type. Although you wouldn't want to stand out in a crowd.

January 7, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Juan

If a limo cost a fortune why doesn't the president choose what type of car he wants and if its not save just add or remove things from it.

January 8, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  4. Matthew

I don't know cars, but that limo is cool

January 8, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  5. Rebecca

I think the biggest concerns in 2009 is going to be the economy. The economy is getting worse and worse. Everyone is hard pressed for money and some people loose their jobs and go into debt. Everyone is worried about it.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  6. ryan

i think that it is important that the President of the US is properly protected. It doesnt matter how much the car weighs or what kind of engine its got its all about safety. i think the best car is probaly the GMC Yukon. Its got 6.2liter massive V8 and its got the size and offroad capabilities to go through or around a detour. what ever the car is lets just home its made in America.

January 8, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  7. Jo

It looks really small and weak but from the description The Beast will probably be the best protection for Obama.

January 8, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  8. Anthony

I believe that the President of the United States should have a highly protected vehicle at all times. I don't think that the weight of the car will make a huge difference because you can get a larger engine but, I would suggest reinforcing the entire car and possibly bulletproofing the windows to ensure safeness. The car I would choose would be a Cheverlot Suburban in black. I would choose black and not any other color so it will not stand out. The same exact car should be duplicated to move him stealthly to his destination. You can choose any car you would like, but be sure to make it as safe and well protected as possible.

January 8, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  9. alex

i think that the president can make his car anything he wants. I would feel confident driving him any in any vehical

January 8, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  10. Matt

The economy is going down and were spending tons of money on the presidents CAR????? OMG!!!! we should save our money!

January 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  11. Switzer

I would freakin ride in black hawk. If not that I would ride in a longer limo than the one the Obama's getting.

January 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  12. corbin

the presidents limo is the the coolest thing i've ever seen. I want one

January 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  13. Ben

I think it is important because we need our president safe and i would choose a suv because it makes you look like your a normal person with a regular car so no one tries to get you or something.A Limo stands out to me

January 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  14. Natalie

I think that it is amazing how glass can weight that much. And i can not even imagine how much the whole car could weigh. And i think that they should paint the car a different color because it looks very boring and ugly!!

January 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  15. Micah

Dude that thing is a beast but it is like well it looks like a junk vehicle.....................but I'd rather have a farari!

January 8, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  16. joeshmo

dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one big door and a giant window i want a car like it but looking better. and really fast. but one thing that i want is really fast. those are bad photos the government does not want relies photos like that

January 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  17. Moira

Wow, for such a little car, it weighs A LOT! If that is how much our new presidential car weighs, I wonder how much the future presidential cars will weigh! Maybe they will weigh less, but they will be more high tech, like all the new iPods. I guess we'll just have to wait until the future to find out!

January 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  18. Chris

I think I would want to drive a tank. I would want a tank because most secure in that. I've personally always liked tight spaces.

January 8, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  19. molly

Wow That must weigh 1,000,000 pounds and I think that it is really good on how it is protected, I also think it is kinda ugly and doesn't look so nice for a president but it sill isn't finished and I guess it is okay that it looks weird because it might save the presidents life.

January 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  20. Ann

The President's limo I think is a little extreme. I think it gets like 2 miles to the gallon. I would want a high tech Chevy Avalanch!

January 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  21. Brandon

I would drive a tank because it is practically indestructable!

January 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  22. Rafael

Obama should pimp out his beast with some spinners!

January 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  23. Meredeth

The BEAST! Who came up with that stupid name?!

January 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  24. Megan

I would want a giant red, white and blue tank! Yeah me!

January 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  25. Paige

I can't belive that the presidents limo weighs a ton! I think he should get a smart car limo, smart cars are cheap on gas. But if they made a (smart car limo that would be great. I also think that it is good for the presidents limo to weigh a ton so he can be protected and so he can be safe.

January 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  26. Drew

I would ride in a monster truck limo with servents inside!

January 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  27. John

I want a car like that! What a beast!

January 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  28. Samantha

It would be pretty weird being in that. I loving the outside noises.

January 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  29. Utau

It's heavy for a reason, without all the reinforcements we could have another Kennedy repeat....And a truck or limo would be fine, that's what I’d feel safe in. Hey...I wonder... what does the President's chauffer get paid?

January 8, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  30. Ben be Jamin

Thats some ride . I really what to know what's under the hood !!!! Also who the heck works on it ? Also who thinks up these things that the presidents and important people ride in?

January 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  31. Avery

The limo that Barack Obama picked out to behis limo i think it is going to work.

January 8, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  32. anna

I really dont think it should be anybodys buissness about the persidents car or if its secure. Its all about if he likes his car or not.

January 8, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  33. Emily

This i a very interesting question. The president probably uses his private car or "limo" very often to go to airports, speeches, meetings, etc. If I had the job to chauffeur the president, I would probably drive an SUV. The problem which an SUV is that most SUVs have very low gas mileage which help pollute the air. Despite the conflict of fuel efficient cars, it is most important that the president is safe in his car... whether he needs to be safe from bad climate outside while being driven around, or if he needs a place for security, etc. A four wheel drive SUV would probably be safe because an SUV is very common, which will not make the president's car stand out from others too much. Having four wheel drive will also assist a chauffeur in getting the president around safely in bad weather such as a snow storm. It is probably worth for the president to spend a few extra bucks on his car too make sure he is safe.

January 8, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  34. Mike

Personally, I don't think it really matters what kind of vehicle you use to take the President around in. If it works, you use it. If it don't, just don't use it then.

January 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  35. Mallory

i think that it i important for the president to be safe. however, it is ironic that we are trying to cut down on our use oil while the president and other executives in government and private industry are being driven around in vehicles that get terrible gas mileage. also, the security on the car, i think, is not necessary. Bullet proof glass on the windows i can understand, but i don't think it is necessary for his limo to have reinforced doors, and vault locks. it is important that he stays protected, but the security on the vehicle is too much, because i doubt there are that many maniacs out there that would go shooting at the president's car. it would be much more practical to not waste money on making the car safe, and making sure the president doesn't get harmed while he is out in the open.

January 8, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  36. Luke

I think that it is good that the preseident elect will be safe when he gets to take house, but the USA is in enough trouble the way it is for money so why spend it all.I know.I know.They are protecting the president.

January 8, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  37. simon

people have planned to assassinate Obama before. thats not going to stop once he's president. anything that keeps him safe would be fine.

January 8, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  38. Ned

I love the car and i think Obama will love it to. What is not to love about it. Its so safe and nice to sleep in.

January 8, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  39. angie aka boo-boo

I WOULD WANT TO BE SAFE AND NOT GET KILLED BY THE SICK PEOPLE OUT THERE SO THATS GOOD THEY CARE ABOUT ARE PRESDENT AND THAT PROVES THAT PEOPLE DO CARE

January 8, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  40. Sean

I Think its a good idea that he did that because if there was an accident he would be protected and you know we need a president now in the finacial crisis and we always need to secures or lifes
    you rock carl!

January 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  41. Eric

It doesn't really matter how heavy the car as long as its safe.If i landed the job as the presidents driver i would feel safe in an Suv because its heavier and i won't tip that easy. Even though you wont stand out much.

January 8, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  42. Merissa

Hi I think that the new president will be a good change for the us and I hope it will work out

January 8, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  43. Elizabeth

I would have a truck to keep Obama safe.

January 8, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  44. Merissa

I did not read the question and i do not think that people need to now how much the limo weights so people get out of there bussines

January 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  45. Anonymous

I think that Presidents should have the ability to chose their own vehicle. Honestly, it sounds secure and thats what truley matters

January 8, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  46. Catharine

Barack Obama is one of the most famous people in the world at the moment and his security is a VERY important matter. So if I was driving him around I would go for whatever had the most protection to keep me safe.

January 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  47. ~Brenna~

– I think that the locks on the inside of Oboma's car are a good idea, but why would you take the bullet proof windows out ? I think thats stupid!

January 8, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  48. Matthew

I think “the beast” is not a very good looking car but I think the safety of the president is the most important concern of the Secret Service and the safety of the president should not be compromised for style

January 8, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  49. Zach

It's a really cool ride! It would be fun to have 3 inch glass.

January 9, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  50. Josh

That was a sweet ride president-elect Obama is rocking. But I would have went with a moto, (motorcycle). It wouldn't be bulletproof but you would just have to take a chance. But the limo is defiantly unique so that works...

January 9, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  51. Quinn

..........THATS ONE "BEAST" OF A CAR if I was the president i would like to have that car but I wold have it painted.

January 9, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  52. Matt

wheeeeeee a cool car

January 9, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  53. brady

I think that the beast is a car from pimp my ride. The government is getting back in style with that car. They should of gave it a different color though.

January 9, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  54. Aimee & Rachel

We think that we'd get a nice car which people would not think that the president was in. Because if people knew what the presidents car looked like and it was moving the people who dislike the president would get mad and attack the car and try to harm the president. We would choose a car that is safe for the president and gets him places safely.

January 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  55. Alissa

January 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  56. Sydney

I Think that "The Beast" is a good idea! For one it is very safe and nothing bad could happen to the president. To be truthful I don't think that I would ride around in the beat even though it is really safe. I would probly want to ride in some kind if SUV or something. But I think it is pretty good idea if you want to be really safe! 🙂

January 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  57. Katey

I'd be in the tank. That's probably the safest out of the other cars, and it's gotta look better than that limo that had the duct tape on the door. That thing was ugly!

January 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  58. Wyatt

I think that the beast is a pretty high tech veichle and that it should be really protected because its the president and they need to be protected. But I think that the whole 6 inches of bullet proof glass is a little to much because they shouldn't have 6 inches of it.

January 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  59. gunnar

I think that, that car would be fun to ride in. I wonder how bullet proof it is, and how do they test it do they like set bombs under the car or shoot it or something. I think that it would be fun to drive and test... they should put nitrous oxide in there.

January 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  60. summer

I think it is a good idea to have the car, but wow thats alot of money and weight, and gas.This is crazy if we dont have alot of money in the economy where are they getting the money to buy this car? Don't ge me wrong keeping the president safe is all good,but wow!I think we shouldn't spend so much on one car. But thats my opinion.

January 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  61. Kelsey

I can't believe how much just the windows they took out weigh, and I can't even imagine how much the total car weighs even without the 6,000 pound windows. I think that even though it is not the prettiest car for the President it is still very safe with the locks and material that it is built with.

January 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  62. Mckenzie

I think that "The Beast" is a good ride for Barack Obama. It helps so that nobody can like shoot him while he is riding in the car. Another thing is that he and his family can be safe.

January 9, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  63. Veronica

I think that if our president to be has to ride around in a beast like that then our country has major problems. I mean if someone makes you made you don't go out and try to kill them. Unless you're preparing for terrorists which I could understand! That looks like a really cool car though!

January 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  64. Dana

I don't really care what kind of car I'd drive. I'd just let the president choose, I suppose. He's the one in charge. All I want is for it to be armored. Other than that, anything reasonable goes.

January 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  65. Jasmine

Actually, I would rather put all of those protective features in a truck. I prefer a truck over any vehicle so that decision is quite easy. I think that all this protection, and all these precautions that the government is taking is very important. You can never be too over protective in a situation like this. Now getting the car to go over 45 mph is a whole other story.

January 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  66. mariah

I think that the presidents car is his car/limo he can have it weigh or look however he wants so i don't think that it matters what he wants, it's his he can do what ever he wants

January 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  67. Hannah

The safety of the best is very high. If someone were to try to break into that car and try to hurt the president or steal something, they would have quite a hard time doing that. Myabe people shouldn't threaten to kill anybody then Obama wouldn't have to deal with the car that he has now. I feel bad for him now that he has to ride around in a weird looking car just to keep safe. If I had to ride in a car like that because some people were trying to kill me I would. It really is a cool idea to have a car like that. Maybe some time in the future they might come up with something like that to keep our future presidents safe. The President's Limo was probably the best idea (who ever built it) someone ever had. If another president gets killed or fans find there way into the car then they probably find another way to build that car and make it a lot more better to where maybe nobody coud get into it.

January 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  68. Zach

I think all the safety precautions are cool but maybe they shouldn't show that to the entire world.

January 9, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  69. Jasmine

I wonder why Barack Obama would want to take out the bullet proof windows. That could protect his life.

January 9, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  70. Danica

The limo look so cool it looks and it has a lot of protection on the car. So our president and his family will have a safe ride!!!!

January 9, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  71. Gabby

I think that the prez should have any car he likes but that does seem like a pretty inderstructiable car I mean if you were the prezident after the Kennedy Assanation who would not want a car like that?

January 9, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  72. Michelle

Matt, ditto.The economy is really going down,,seriously. And they are spending money to president's CAR. Yeah, I guess Obama has much of influence to USA, (since I'm not living in USA-I'm just Corean/Korean...) but oh, come on!!! They are just keep saying 'Let's not to waste money!' but look what they're doing, isn't it? OMG.
    And, OmiGod. How terrible name? The BEAST. BEAST. Are they kidding? I choose BEAST, when Carl asked what name is not prior president's car's name, you know. Because, I couldn't just believe it. Ha,hahaha.

January 9, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  73. craig

its just crazy that the glass alone weighs that much but if i was the president driver i would feel most comfertible driving one of those humvees that the soldiers drive or a realy protective escalade on 24 inch divichi rims with some safe glass lol

January 9, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  74. j

I don't think I'd want to be the chauffeur because if someone was actually trying to get to the president (hopefully that will never happen) then that would be the first target probably. If you get the driver to stop then it'd be alot easier to get the president.

January 11, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  75. gwen!!!

GEEZE THAT CAR IS HIGH TECH!! BUT THEY SHOULD PAINT IT ALL ONE COLOR!!!

byebye

January 12, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  76. monkey

i wish i had a limo

January 12, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  77. Devon

I belive that the president has enough stuff after all for 8 or 4 years he has a house basically for free, he gets 400k A year and i might just be saying this becouse i despise him for being president but still a limo he allready has a subrban type GMC YUKON that follows him around and that thing has a machine gun added on to it but a limo oh heck now he'll probably add a jet engine in it and a fully auto sniper rifle to it.

January 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  78. Alex

I think it should be a lot less of a weight and be a diffrent color.

January 12, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  79. Britney

Like chill man, too much protection is like... unchilled.

January 12, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  80. Kira

I would totally want to drive that car but only for 5 miles because it looks like it gets terrible milage.

January 12, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  81. Anthony

If i was the presidents driver I would feel the most confident in a decked out stretch lamborghini with bullet proof glass. And if the president is ever in danger he can just hop into his lambo limo and speed away

January 13, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  82. Ryan

I think that the president does need a safe car that can take him from place to place. My problem with this car is that they are spending tons of money on creating this car during an economic depression. This car contains extremely heavy, bulletproof glass and tons of vault locks to keep people out. The engine must be extremely expensive and powerful to pull that weight. If an engine is that powerful it must have horrible gas mileage. Overall this car must cost a fortune during an economic hardtime.

January 13, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  83. Amdrew

I would feel most comfortable driving a white 09 Cadillac with bulletproof doors and windows

January 13, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  84. Benjamin

I say it gets about 12 miles to the gallon. With all the armor windows, tires, and other things. Britney if the president was in a opean car it might be the assaniation of JFK all over. I say just keep the armor plated Limo and get on with your life.

January 13, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  85. Anonymous

not very attractive. lol. but did he say that one of the doors are about the same weight as a 747 aircraft?!

January 14, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  86. mullen

January 14, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  87. Alex

I think the only car I would feel safe in is a Bullet Proff Escalade 09. Don't ask me why I would have bullet proff glass, becuase I don't know either.

January 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  88. :-)

Well what acn you say about that Limo it is HUGE!!!!I think they are ecxagerating a bit to much

January 15, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  89. Joaquin

if it wieghts that much it might be as heavy as a tank but it might be a asosme car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  90. Ivette

The only car i would feel safe in is any bullet- proof car other than that i would feel like i would be in danger.

January 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  91. JOEY

I think that Obama should choose his own car like a lamborghini or a buggati veron.

January 15, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  92. trent

the presidents car has to be safe becuase if its not anyone could assault that vehicle and kidnapp the president of the united states but know obamas president and that some people didnt want a black president which is jacked up and they might want to get rid of him so thats why the presidents car has to be so armored and stuff

January 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  93. damon

wow thats a have limo but if it keeps our 44th president safe and out of harms way then make it but i just hope the doors will open when needed

January 15, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  94. bridget

my freind made one like hat and called it th beast too .It was so cool

January 16, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  95. veronica

i would drive the limo

January 16, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  96. IRVEENE

who did give the car that stupid name the beast? I haven't been told the price yet . HOW MUCH DID IT COST ? A MILLION OR A BILLION?

January 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  97. connor

I think that is incridible that it ways so much

January 21, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  98. Brecca

They need to paint the limo black. It looks rusty and old!

January 21, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  99. Nicole

I really like the Limo! I think it's cool that the windows are very thick.

January 21, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  100. Josh

The limo is a absolute BEAST! O my goodness it is crazy

January 21, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  101. Samantha

I think the president should just get a normal car. I mean whats the point of a limo, if your not going to pay alot of money to help this country(although i am not from here) you dont deserve to spend alot of money on cars. Also if the president even cares about our enviornment he should get a car that is enviormental safe. Like hybrids, and leave the unfriendly enviornmental things out of here.

January 22, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  102. Alyssa

That is some heavy protection! 6,000 pounds of glass is alot! That's heavier than the average human!

January 23, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  103. cole

that is so cool

January 23, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  104. adam

i love ridding in limos

January 23, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  105. Lance

my problem with the limo is that we just wasted all that money on a car when we are suppose to be SAVING MONEY during this economic depression. I say Obama should just get a normal limo instead of a fancy one.

January 23, 2009 at 9:08 pm |