.
January 4th, 2009

Fine in '09 (?)

First up, happy New Year!  I hope you all had a GREAT holiday break, getting lots of time with your families and avoiding the cold that I caught right after Christmas.

Now,  let's get down to business.  In Monday's show, you hear about strife in the Middle East, controversy involving two U.S. governors, and some high school students' opinions on where the economy is going.  One student says it's going to get worse before it gets better; another says that although he recently turned 16, he's more likely to get a skateboard than a car.

With all of this going on, what news stories are you most interested in this New Year?  Are you expecting a bumpy ride, or will everything be fine in '09?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Tara

I think it will be a very bumpy ride, especially war and money. I predict it'll get better around september. I want it to be a good year, but its not looking likely.

January 4, 2009 at 9:41 pm |
  2. Sarah

I'm expecting a bumpy ride this next year, especially with the transition of presidents. Which will be the first time this has happened in the Iragi War. It will be most interesting to see whether Barack Obama will keep his word of the actions he would do when he was elected. Especially in the case of this war and whether he will actually withdraw troops. I hear that this promise has already been broken. It will definitely be interesting to see the transition from a Republican government to a Democratic one.

January 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  3. Joyce

I think that we will have to get through some tough times everything is back to normal. With the economic crisis and other unexpected attacks, it will be very hard to get the world get going right. We all hope that with the new year and a new president who is a democrat( Obama) will bring some change to the world.

January 4, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Joycelin

We will be on a rollercoaster, going down, down, and down.
    Even if the economy, and fighting.. calms down and gets better, we'll still have to face a lot of rough times ahead to make that happen.

January 4, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  5. Mrs. Carionn's class

We think everything is going to get better with Obama and a new year.
    But we thought it will be a bumpy ride with lots of underground traps.

January 4, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  6. Bailey

I expect bad news, bad news, bad news.
    That is what we have to go through we have a reward and things start to get better.
    The new U.S. president ought to give some change.

January 4, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  7. Angela

I'm interested in seeing the peaceful side of the Middle East. It's not all violence there. Take us to downtown Beirut or something 🙂

January 4, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  8. Zhao

Hey! Happy New Year! I love this show and wish everybody has a great 2009!

January 5, 2009 at 1:11 am |
  9. Dave

Well looking towards the economical conditions I think we are going to have a bumpy ride. Like our parents had an option like CDS, investment in mutual funds and then the retirement plan and social security and health care plans we kids of today won't have mostly any of those benefits. Looking towards the functioning economy in the long run seeing more good companies going out of the way so many of the things are going to be narrowing down or merging. Looking more ahead many people will be going to a simple life style of where limited vacations, dining out, theaters etc. I believe that for the economy to go on the stable ground faster, I think we need the President or some department to look at the status of the foreigners of being legal in this country to work and stay. Unfortunately those who are not should be taken out and this will open the jobs for other people.

Hi Carl Azuz I like to watch your morning show as I work the night shift in the hospitality industry and you just make my day. The most I like about you is your enthusiam and your smile and your are my favorite.

January 5, 2009 at 4:34 am |
  10. Carina

I think that things gradually would get better and better. However, I am afraid that 09 might be a tough year for all of us. Because we are now facing the economic crisis, lots of fights and problems might loom out.

January 5, 2009 at 4:40 am |
  11. Emily

I'm living in South Korea right now, and even in here, the economic crisis is effecting. It's done a lot of damage and changed all our lives. Many people lost jobs, and don't have any money to support their family. I believe that it's like that in many other countries, also. Only if the U.S.A hadn't been such a big country, this economic crisis would already be a vague "experience" to us. However, since it's effecting us so much, I think that the economic crisis was and will be the biggest issue until the end of 2009. We'll just have to wait and see =]

January 5, 2009 at 6:05 am |
  12. Ms. Navas and Mr. Johnson's 1st period Global Studies

First up, we feel that everything is going to be fine in 2009 but it will take a little time. In the mean while we are going to learn how to enjoy life and have fun without spending money. Carl, what did Santa get you for Christmas?

January 5, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  13. Cole

The news story that I found was most interesting was the governor of Illinois trying to sell Obama's seat in the senate. I really hope that that person he did put in the seat is not allowed to stay there, since he was given the seat by a corrupt politician.

January 5, 2009 at 8:02 am |
  14. HANNAH!!!!!

I think that every year there's good things and bad things that happen. So, there might be tough things going on in 2009, but there might also be good things that will happen too.

January 5, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  15. John

I'm expecting a bumpy ride because the U.S. is already in a huge debt from over the years that has just built up, higher and higher. I mean sure, we've been through a lot as a country and have controlled plenty of problems but if we spend 700 million dollars of money that we should've used to pay off our debt, we're not in too good shape.

January 5, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  16. chandler

i think that the economy will definitely get worse before it gets better. The economy is on a downward fall and is getting more real by the second.

January 5, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  17. Karen

I think that, like the highschool student said, 2009 is going to get worse before it gets better. The story about the Middle East and attacks on Gaza is the most important to me. It's important because the problem could always escalate or it could be fixed. 2009 is off to a rocky start, but I hope it will get better!

January 5, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  18. Marshall

I think that 2009 will be a tough time for the U.S. I think the Israeli deal will be the most important issue.

January 5, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  19. connor

I think that 2009 is going to be a tough year with the economy. 16 teen year olds won't be able to buy a car.

January 5, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  20. parker

I have no doubt that the situation with the economy will get worse before it will return to normal.

January 5, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  21. Abby

I think that things are going to get a lot worse, the stocks are going to go down etc. So things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.
    PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

January 5, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  22. Matt

I think things may be a little bumpy for the beginning of 2009. Obama may help out our country with economic crisis. But we still have things to deal with like the Illinois governor situation and the Israel and Paelistian situation. I like the idea of people asking what the kids have to say about this also because they have good ideas.

January 5, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  23. Anabel

I think that things won't be fine this year because of the things we watched on CNN student news. Lots of things have happened even before the new year things were happening

January 5, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  24. caroline

i think things will get a little worse, but then will get better because of OBAMA!!! who will help us get out of it.

January 5, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  25. Chantel

I think its going to be a little harder then 2008 because we are in a recession, but hopefully I will get what I want.

January 5, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  26. Tiffany

Happy New Year!

January 5, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  27. Mrs. Carey's 10th Grade Class (Academy for Arts, Science and Technology)

We are most interested in the economic stability of our nation, and the impact of Pres. Obama's plans on it. We do feel that the situation will get worse before it gets better. God Bless the USA!

January 5, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  28. CJ

i belive everybody can help this hard time

January 5, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  29. Jennifer

Like what happens throughout the year because students dont really watch the news. I think it will be fine with a bumpy ride.

January 5, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  30. Matthew

I think thing will be bad. Just think of all the comic book writers that will be laid off. I don't know if we can survive.

January 5, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  31. Anna

I don't know what this year will be like. There are so many things that are bad for 2008. I think that things will get worse, and then very quickly get better.

January 5, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  32. Cailean

I think that 09 will keep getting worse in our oconomy because obama is our new prersident and he will probly take our troops out of Iraqu

January 5, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  33. lindsay

I would like some news on politics. I would also like to hear about the economy, too but I hope it will be good news.

January 5, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  34. Colin

I do not really know what stories i would like to see and i think that things will go better in 09 than 08

January 5, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  35. forest

I think everything will be fine, for me anyway. I'll convince my mother that she doesn't have to spoil me rotten so much and I'm not expecting anything big from anyone because I have all that I need. I like cereal.

January 5, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  36. kathleen

I think that at the first part of the year is going yo be a little rough because it is recovering from 2008 and then is next moths or March it will be all well and it will be a smooth ride 2009.

January 5, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  37. Beau

I think the economy is going to get better as the year goes on because it already is getting better. The environment will also be getting better because more and more groups are working on the pollution, but the people that don't care what happens are not going to help those groups help the environment. it'll be a slightly bumpy road.

January 5, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  38. Matt

I think 2009 is going to be similar to 08 but the following years will be a little better

January 5, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  39. Sean

Who could be shocked about how bad the economy is? This has been creeping up on us like Godzilla with a nasty head cold. Or in other words, not very quietly. We could have prevented this a long time ago. Now this junk has been dumped on the heads of our generation like a lazy dump truck driver.

January 5, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  40. Lyssa

I do not know what to exsept but lets just hope everything tuns out okay.

January 5, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  41. annie

i would like to hear more about the war(tehe that rymes) because im kind of tired of hearing about the econemy and i think it will be hard but but that we can get through this rough spot with obama on our side!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  42. Addie

I think that people don't notice that this really is happening and that we need to stop spending money and start saving, and conserving, or it is going to get worse and its going to be even harder to recover. And I think that we should still hear about the economy because it is really happening and we need to act fast.

January 5, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  43. morgan

I think things are going to go a little bit more downhill but soon things will get better. I believe that Obama will be able to pull us out of this mess. I think that some people don't really realize this mess we're in and if they don't start saving, it will take a longer time to fix. I don't think that it will be as bad as the great depression in the 20's and 30's but we shouldn't underestimate it; it's happened before which means it could happen again.

January 5, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  44. Corey

who would be shocked by the economy it has been like this for weeks.

January 5, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  45. Crystal

I think that are economy is going to get worse before it gets better.
    I believe that are economy is gonna have some hard times, but is gonna be able to get out of this crisis.

January 5, 2009 at 10:04 am |

i think that our biggest problem is or will be money i AM BARRILY GETTING ANY ALOUNCE

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  47. Brittney

In the future I feel we will have many problems. The biggest one will be job lost. I think that more then half of the people will lose there jobs. And hardly anyone is even going to be able to find a job. Causeing us to all have money problems.

January 5, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  48. Brittany

I think that 2009 is going to be a bumpy ride. We are trying to recover from this huge economy problem that we are, we also have war problems, and other things going on. Just because we got a new president does mean that in one year everything will be fixed.

January 5, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  49. Devin

i think tat 09 will be a hole new better year

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  50. Tim and fred

I think that the economy will go bad and we will not be abel to afford stuff.

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  51. Kylie

Well the biggest promble we will most likely have is the jobs around here they are losting jobs like crazy so yeah.That is what I think will happend wit the new year *09*:)

January 5, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  52. Lily

MY opinion about the ecomnomy is that it will get better gradually, but i dont think it'll be as good as we will expect it this year.

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  53. Alexander

I expect 09 to be something like falling off of niagara falls or going on the worlds largest roller coaster. It won't be pretty. Not to good.

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  54. brady

I am most interested in if the rich people are suffering if the economy. If the are I would want to now how and how mad it is effecting them.

January 5, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  55. Taylor A

I think there will be some tough times in 2009 , I think as far as economic issues go we have only seen the tip of the iceburg.

January 5, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  56. kyle

I agree with the statement it will get worse before it gets better. It should hurry up and get worse soon so it can start getting better though.

January 5, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  57. Jenny

I think with the new leadership, and hopefully the cooperation of all of society, we can eventually make this country's current situation better. Though I do agree with the point that usually things get worse before turning around. We've made it through hard times, such as the depression, and the US is known for it's hopeful vision, and the oppurtunities to succeed at anything. We just have to keep this mentality.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  58. Kyle

i think everything will be fine in '09. President-Elect Obama will become the new president and he came with change and helping out all the crisis's going on. I believe this year will be a some what smooth ride and will get through it.

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  59. Alicia

I think that our economy is only going to get worse before it gets better. I think this because we haven't hit rock bottom yet and once we do it will begin to get better.

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  60. Jon

I have to agree with the fact that it is going to get worse before it gets better. Although we aren't in a good situation right now, It's not like we haven't been here before, thre is no doubt in my mind that we will make it out of this just fine.

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  61. Brittney

Besides the issues that we are having with the economy I think we are also going to have continuous issues with jobs for people and with food being transported from other places. Kind of the same problems we had to deal with in 2008.

January 5, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  62. John

I think we will still have problems in 09 because we are still in massive debt and still people are losing their jobs. I think 09 will be worse then 08 because before it gets better it has to get worse. I think in 2010 everything will start to be better

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 am |

I think that the year 2009 will be a huge fight to get to the end. The country is in to much hurt right now and I do believe what that student said ‘its going to get worst before better

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  64. Joe

I will probably be more interested in economic news stories and how the economy is doing

January 5, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  65. Kailie

It has been my personal opinion since October of '08 that we are going through something similar to The Great Depression... Granted it is not as severe as the first event, but it is gradually meeting the mark.

And this is hitting everyone very hard... I myself have found myself unable to find a job out where I live because of the way the economy is. And if it's this hard for me, I can only imagine how hard it is going to be for people who are much less fortunate then myself...

January 5, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  66. Sara

I believe that in 2009, the main stories we will hear about is Barack Obama, and how he is going to do as President as soon as he sworn in. I believe that people will try to put him down on any one mistake that he makes, but really-after Bush, I don’t how we can fairly compare. 🙂

January 5, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  67. Lacey

I have no idea what's going to happen in 2009. I don't really feel the effects from the economic issues because i got my first job back in July and all of us are getting a pay raise. I buy gas for my truck which is now only 30 dollars so i have money left over that i dont end up spending. Maybe later on it'll finally hit me but as of now it just feels like a nothings wrong.

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  68. Mike

I also believe that the financial situation will get worse before it will get better in 2009. I think we’re in for a very bumpy ride due to increasing job loss and less money for the consumer to spend to keep the economy moving.

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  69. destiny

those kids are right it will probly get worse before its gets better...... history repetes its self

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  70. kayla

I think it is going to get worse before it get better but we’ll will survive and eventually get better how long could this really go one for?

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  71. KASH!NA

I believe that this year in 2009, the economy is going to plateau because of the mentalities of our people. I am also very hesitate to say that the year is going to go smoothly, because i have a prettoy good feeling that it is going to take at least the whole four year duration of Obama as our president to get us out of our predicament.
    Though i have faith that he can do it 🙂

January 5, 2009 at 10:57 am |

No one ever expects one big event to happen and on the flip side no one thinks this is going to be a perfect year. I think what happens will happen and if we can prevent a disaster than we should do our best to do so, I agree with the guy that said things are going to get worse before it gets better but if we keep together as a nation we can come out victorious.

January 5, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  73. Stephen

I think that the schools will be hit hardest from money problem this year because there will not be enough money to pay all of the staff. So the schools would have to lay off some people.

January 5, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  74. jared

What do I think of 09. well I think its going to be pretty tough. Most people got it easy, but when I go to school and I walk down my hall ways I know that today there is going to be some drama. thats how it is everyday.

January 5, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  75. Annie

I believe that recession isn't going to change itself. It is going to take the country's effort and care to get ourselves out of this.

January 5, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  76. will

Right now my only concern is going to be gas prices I have noticed that they were on the way up. Not by much but still its got some of my friends worried especially now that were officially in a recession.

January 5, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  77. Joice

I'm really nervous about the war with Israel against Gaza. My best friend lives there and I just hope she's safe. I think the war is silly and people don't have to fight to make peace and they can talk and make peace the way Gandi did.

January 5, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  78. joe

my family is pretty well covered so I have nothing to worry about (yet) I'm probly not going to inhret it because I am so young.

January 5, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  79. Lauren

Obama will change America in 2009. I think he will fix this financhel crisis.

January 5, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  80. Ellie

I think that it is going get worst before it gets better. Well look at the stock market for example. It takes longer to rise than to fall and I think it will fall more than it will rise.

January 5, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  81. Izze

I think that the economic issue will get a little worse before it gets better because obama is taking on a huge challenge but later her will have it under control and make it petty much all better

January 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |

I"m not really sure... I think that if the stock market goes back up we will be ok

January 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  83. Aimee

I think everything will be fine. my mom is getting married and then were going to find a new house and move. So i think everything will be fine!!!

January 5, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  84. Meriel

I think that its going to get better this year but I think it still might go down. But I think this year it will definitely go up this year; but a year is a long time.

January 5, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  85. Melanie, Dakota

I think that it will just be like before but it might take awhile. Because I think if it is bad or goes down then it eventually has to come back up. So it could take awhile but I think it will be like before soon. Maybe.

January 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  86. muffin

It's going to be a tough but we will live!!!

January 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  87. Kota & Rachel

I think that the money situation in the world is going to be really messed up. If you think about the fact that right now people are unable to pay there bills and put food on the table for there families things can only get worse in any situation before they get better.

January 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  88. JUSTIN

I think that the condition of the economy depends on whether or not the government decides to continue bailing out businesses. Although if they don't, lots of people will lose their jobs.

January 5, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  89. Sayer

EVERYONE WANT A FERRARI BUT YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SETTLE FOR A TOYOTA

January 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  90. Addie & Mel

The economy is going to get better soon, because people are really cutting back!

January 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  91. Courtney

I think that the downhill economy crisis, will get better or worse, with the way Obama handles this situation. But in this new year, Obama isn't the only one who will be able to turn around the economy. The people of America also need to pitch in to make everyone's lives turn back to normal. Everyone, Do something!

January 5, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  92. rachel

i think the economy is going to get a lot worse before it gets better because thats just the way things work. Bye bye. I'm going to blog with kota because hers is a lot better and she's a good friend so she will put my name on it too. yay

January 5, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  93. Coqui

i think the economy will fall and we will have another great depression.

January 5, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  94. Addie & Mel

The economy is going down hill, but soon jill is gunna hike right back up and save it! Yay Jilly!!!

January 5, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  95. Melanie and addie

Melanie and Addie believe that the economy will struggle, and at about the half year, will start to become resolved. Hopefully the automobile companys will resolve the conflicts in their sales. We both had dreams of being investment banker. HaHa! Not any more!

January 5, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  96. karissa

the economy will get worswe before it gets better. it has to be that way history repeats itself over and over and each time it gets worse before it gets better. it will be a hard year for america.

January 5, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  97. Amanda & Lincoln

Amanda thinks the year 2009 will be tough but as the year goes on things will straighten out, and become easier.
    Lincoln thinks the year of 2009 will be hard at the start, but in the long run it wont be difficult.
    A story that we are interested in is one about our economy. One that discusses what is going on about our country and what's happening and details about what's closing and what's opening and all that kind of stuff. To keep us informed what exactly is going on.

January 5, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  98. Cassidy & Haylea

Haylea- I'm most interested in the segments where the kids from schools tell their point of veiw on the economy and stuff.

I think that things will gradually get worse but we won't notice it much but maybe within a year or so that then we will start to notice things much more as far as our economy getting worse....than it is now before we notice anything getting better. So I think it'll take a while for it to get REALLY bad....it'll just gradually change this year.

Cassidy-i dont really care what you talk about on your segments. just as long as it is interesting ad sometimes you could add in some funny things. but also keep us updated on the economy!!

the economy will get alot worse but it will gradually get back on top of things and it will be fine!! but it will be a while before the economy will gets better......it might be the worse we have ever had.

January 5, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  99. Laura and Cassaundra

Laura says the economy is most surtainly going to get worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The economy is a joke!!!!!!!! Cassaundra says that in the year 09 is going to be one bad year. More lay offs, homeless, and money losses. Prices are high and money pay is low. Lots of changes are needed to just survive in todays economy. 2009 is going to be a bad year because before things get better they will get worse.

January 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  100. bubaJ

well carl i think its down hill for awhile

January 5, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  101. Ryan

i blieve that some things will be fine like the schools and the president elect oboma. and the things i don't like to see is people takeing advantage of the services to help needy people like food stamps when they do that they are taking away from a needy family. the economy might not be able to take much more needy family because of every eles who don't need it.

January 5, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  102. Bailey, Karissa, and Stone.

Dear CNN Student News,
    We beleive that the ecomony will get worse before it starts to get better because lots of people will get laid off. The companies can't afford to pay them so they will have to let them go unitl they can afford to pay them. This has happened to the United States before and we have made it through si we think that we will get through this ression.

January 5, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  103. Lee Anna

Im expecting another depression,why,because it happened before ,it could definatly happen again.Exspesially the way are economy is.Its terrible,its gone down hill.We are in TROUBLE!!!!

January 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  104. Branden

I think that we will go through a bumpy ride. Our economy is going to a waste. Hopefully Obama's "change" motto is not just a bunch of words.

January 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  105. Christupher

I think that it could be a (bumpy ride for 2009) but shouldnt be because with all of the smart people out there you would think we could turn things around.

January 5, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  106. Lidia

I think Barack Obama is going to change everything been the first african american been the president. he looks like a great guy and gots alot of people that are going to help him but nobody is sure if the actually are going to help him.

January 5, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  107. Jennifer A.

I think that the students at that school were very smart and that there opinions about the economy is right because the economy is struggling and it needs help.

January 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  108. Trenique

im a senior yey!
    the best year ever...i cant wait till school is done with and no more stress about school, it be great and then i cant step into the new world.

January 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  109. kylie

i think the economy will only get worse before it gets better, we arnt really doing much to help out besides spending more money & putting ourself farther in debt. hopefully all of these bailouts are actually going to help out our economy instead of making it worse

January 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm |

I think this year will have its ups and downs but hopefully more ups than downs, and when the downs come that there not to drastic and hard to come back on.

January 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  111. Brianne

The main thing that is affecting my life right now is the economy. I am expected to graduate this month, and I am immediately moving to California with my sister. Hearing what is happening with the economy is scaring me to death. I will have no job once I move down there, and I will have to start from scratch. Hopefully things will work out for me, but right now I am seriously worried about me surviving financially.

January 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  112. Jessica

This year...I'm really hoping that this year goes better than last year, and it probably will, at least for me. I think for the rest of the country it'll get a bit worse before it gets better, but that's just my pessimistic point of view talking.

January 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  113. Anthony

I think that 2009 is gonna be a rough year but hopefully it will get better and obama will smooth things out. i think that conflicts with countries and the economy will be the worst subjects

January 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  114. Kira

I think that the economic crisis right now is a part of the nations natural cycle, but on a larger scale, which means that as a nation, we should consider our next options carefully.

January 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  115. britt

im most interested in the economy story because that is one that effects me and people i know. Yes i am expecting 2009 to be a very bumpy ride filled with ups and downs.

January 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  116. April

I honestly don't think things are going to get worse for our country or even others. Were cooping with what we got and finding the right things we need to do to get threw this economic crisis.

January 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  117. Casey

The news is just news to me every day is about the same, i mean yeah there might be something else going on somewhere else in the world but the news here has been the same for the couple months. I think were going for a bumpy ride but nothing near the depression, we'll bounce back in a year or 2...

January 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  118. Aurora

I expect this year to be great over all. I might have some money trouble, that won’t necessarily be from the economy, it might be from stupid union dues at work or me shopping on the weekend. But I know that I will be fine, even if that means me working 2 jobs and seeing less of my mom and dad.

January 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  119. Ryan

In 09 things are going to start off a little rough but i think people are going to change there habits for the new year and it will help make things a little smoother.

January 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  120. jackie =]

Our economy is something that interests me, knowing how far into debt we are and how it could effect the jobs we get after high school and after college or if there will even be jobs for us to help pay out way thru college is a big fear for many kids who are close to graduating. There will need to be a lot on financial planning in 2009 to insure that we can handle our economy and the upcoming situation.

January 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  121. andy

i think the economy is bad alright with all this people with out work right now.. with in a year or so there will be almost no one working if it gets wrose it will be bad and we need to get out of this

January 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  122. Joe

It is always the darkest right before dawn. It’s going down hill from here.

January 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  123. COURTNEY

I think obviously the economy is going to be a big stuggle we will have to deal with this year and i think there will be other problems that we dont know of yet comming our way.

January 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  124. Shelby

I think that we will be just fine and that people need to stop panicking. We are always going to have problems but we will get through them. To say that the world is comin got an end everytime we have a problem is a little drastic.

January 5, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  125. josh

i think it will be fine in 09 because i am working and i think i wont get fired and my parents i think might have a tough time because my dad needs a new job so 09 is going to be interesting

January 5, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  126. Emerald

As far as the economy I feel that everyone’s spirits are going to be a little dimmer, it isn’t just what is going to happen because now it is happening. Unfortunately things have to get much worse before they get better but I think that people are actually grasping the reality of this situation now.

January 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  127. Jonney

You say we’ll be fine in ‘09
    I don’t think I concur,
    With stocks falling and people balling
    Baby Boomers are retiring and Generation X is trying to thrive,
    Without the jobs we all want and need, we will not be able to succeed
    I hope we all turn around and decide to come back to ground zero,
    We can start from scratch and build up again, We’d rather be at ground zero then six feet under or thirty feet over.

January 5, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  128. Lee

Global Warming. The War. And third world countries.

But thats just me!

Lee

January 5, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  129. Ms. N World History class

We think that the economy will continue to be one of the top issues for this year. Also, global warming and climate change are of great concern to students in Meredith, NH. Galen :"It could be a long road out of debt." Krista says "I think it is going to get better, but it will take awhile."

January 5, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  130. Julian

I believe there are going to be a lot of issues wer are going to have to face. Our country is most likely going to suffer from a lack of money. The reason why our country might suffer is because we help other countries even if we can not afford it. In our country we have a lot of families that are going to be affected because of the lack of money that will be available.

January 5, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  131. Javier

The biggest issues facing us in 2009 are the war in Iraq, the economy, and global warming. I think the war in Iraq is the biggest because the U.S is wasting money in the war for no good reason. This war is also adding to the economic problems. Also the bail out plan does not seem to be working. I believe that the U.S government does not know what to do.

January 5, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  132. Blake

Hope you a happy new year and thanks for the news.
    🙂

January 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  133. Mohamed

I think the biggest issue facing this country is debt and that the stock markets are going down. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he needs to cut debt in California by over 17 billion dollars in the next month. Barack Obama is working on a multibillion dollar bail out plan in an effort to get the economy back on track. Debt and how to get out of it seems to be the biggest issue on our plate this year.

January 5, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  134. Andrew

I hope Nintendo of America makes a new game...

January 5, 2009 at 1:27 pm |

We would be fine and people need to stay calm and stop complaining.

January 5, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  136. austin

I think that the president will have to bring the soldiers home early.

January 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  137. Bryce

Some of the biggest issues were facing with our country in 2009 are the economy, family, and the United States is a problem in its self! The government has really messed up life for the American people. They think they know what they are doing but they don't. They have brought us into a war and have given money away that we do not even have. Now California has to cut the budget by over 17 billion dollars this month.

January 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  138. JEREMY

I feel that everything will be fine in '09, and Israel is awesome so yeah.

January 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  139. Elizabeth

I think the job losses are going to be really bad this year. If its this bad already it just might get worse.

January 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  140. The Yoshi Dude (Anthony)

I think that America will have to take a side and the other side will be mad enough to maybe have a war with us and the econamy is sort of getting better. There are some big companys like Nintendo of America and our food and Gas. But we will face some problems and it won't be like 2012.I think Obama will handle it. Stay cool Carl!!

January 5, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  141. James

My prediction is that this year the EAGLES will win the super bowl and the sixers will turn there season around and win the NBA Championship. your awsome carl rock on.

January 5, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  142. victoria

i truly believe that president Barack Obama will make this economy a lot better!!!!!!!

January 5, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  143. enovyaj

i think i know why because they are going low on gas or they need to raise that gas price

January 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  144. susana

My familiy is worried about the job that they might lose because if they are losing their job we won't be able to get money to pay the bills. If they lose their job then it will be hard for them to look for one. Another thing that my familiy is worried about is the economy because they are losing a lot of money.

January 5, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  145. liliana

My family is worried about the economy because they are loosing a lot of money and some people are lossing their jobs .also people are loosing tjheir houses because the money they have to pay is very high
    also every new year we have to carry money on our pocket and eat 12 grapes.

January 5, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  146. Madison and Mickaela

Our opinion is that the economy will get worse and then gradually get better=) but it may take a few years!

January 5, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  147. Heath & Caleb

We think that it will take a while for things in the economy to even out and become normal again. But then again, president elect Barack Obama might make a dramatic change.

January 5, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  148. Josh and Colin

i think that the persident bush got us in a mess so it will be a bumpy ride.

January 5, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  149. Laura

I think that 09 will be hard. We have a new president and we are most likely to go into a deppression. Things will get worse before they get better, but we will get through it. I think that we need to stop spending money and start saving it for when the U.S. needs it.

January 5, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  150. Heather and Micayla

We think that we are going to have a bumpy ride because we are in realy bad dept. People are losing jobs and that isn't helping because they go in dept and they lose money and can't pay bills or nothing. We think when we graduate we are going to have to pay for the mistakes that the goverment caused and pay there dept.

January 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  151. J.J.

I had a great time over Christmas break because I got a brand new ax to split wood with my dad. Every time we do sell the wood he gets $105. I split part of the wood so my dad could finish cutting the trees down.

January 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  152. cj

I think it will not be fine in 09 I believe it will get much worse befor it gets better

January 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  153. Miss Malin's 4th grade class

I don't know what we think, all that really matters is if Carl does the Student News everyday.

January 5, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  154. jaime

I think that the most problem in the united states is the presidents are going to have more problems now then last year because they have to do more work and the taxes had left more down and they had lower it thge taxes down.

January 5, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  155. Davonte

The economy is a problem that we will be dealing with for a long time to come. How do you fix years and years of bad decisions made by our government? They needed 700 billion dollars asking for a “bailout”. That is not even the tip of our national debt that has reached over 10 trillion dollars and rising. We need a drastic change, but who has the answer? Hopefully, our new leadership can start 2009 out right!

January 5, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  156. Felicia

I don't think our country will survive this crises if we are deeply in debt because if our country is deeply in debt, we can not fight wars to protect the American citizens. I just wonder how it will effect our secerity from terrorists, illegal aliens, and criminals, with no money to pay our soldiers, policemen, and fire departments. Until that changes, we are going to keep going down hill.

January 5, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  157. danielle and ira

we think 2009 will be fine and we are going to try hard to do good in school and have fun.It will be awsome

January 5, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  158. Katie and Kayla

Katie – Well i think this year will suck because this whole finacal crap and i dont think anyone can get us out of it.

Kayla -I think that this year is going to be worse than last year .It's going to be very hard to get us out of all the dept we are now in.I personaly think that we can get out of the recession if we plan ahead and save money the way we should and not waste it one what we don't need than maybe we could then get out of the what we now call the recession and if we look at all the the things that cost alot of money like our troops in Iraq and in other places and stuff like that.We could save alot of money.

January 5, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  159. Astroid and Comet

Our economy is gonna have to lay off most of their spending to get out of the recession, and if we don't 2009 is screwed.

January 5, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  160. destiny,cassie

destiny thinks history will repetes its self and it will get worse.

cassiec i think that it want get better it will only get worse then getting better because of all the wars thats been going on and taxes. this year 2009. histeryes is just repeting its self.

January 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  161. Danielle & Keegan

I think that it will be a very bumpy ride this year, espeacially because we have a new president in the office. With the economic crisis, it will be hard to get the economy back on track. Since we have a new president I hope there will be a change.

January 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  162. scotty

i think it will suck because the economic cricis in the U.S.

January 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  163. lizzy

I think all of the students should help the world by clening up and helping out and recicling will help

January 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  164. c

I think the econmy is find everyone spending to much mony on stuff we dont need like iphone

January 5, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  165. Astroid and Comet

Our economy is gonna have to lay off most of their spending to get out of the recession, and if we don’t 2009 is screwed.

January 5, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  166. Dane

i hope i dont get laid off

January 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  167. alex

The economy is not doing so well.. so I think that it will get better but not as quickly as we hope.

January 5, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  168. jillian

i think 2009 is going to be a great year! And sure were going to have our ups and downs in the world, but nobodys perfect! i just think we have to give time to the changes that have been made, and sooner or later things are going to be running smoothly.

January 5, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  169. Robyn

I think 09' will be a very bumpy ride. Everyone has to get used to the new president and the way he works and all the tax cuts he is going to be doing. I also think that wallstreet is going to go down even more before it starts making any progress at all. Its going to be another hard year but by 10' everything should be starting to look up.

January 5, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  170. Pidgeon

I totally think that '09 will be a bumpy ride i dont think that it will get really bad as in Depression, but i defenitly dont think that tax payers should pay the stock market and everybody elses way out of the ressesion because its just not fair to us. and i hope it gets better but i doubt that '09 will be our time!:(

January 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm |

I think it will be fine because it is a new year and every thing is starting over. As far as it is going I think it is going to be good

January 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm |

I dont really care about it except i just hope it goes good

January 5, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  173. Carlos

I think it will be fine in 09 too.

January 5, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  174. jason

but america is a place for oppucinity t a place were everythin is possible

January 5, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  175. Anuva

Obviously filled with crisis.
    the world is corrupt!

uh oh!

January 5, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  176. jamie

i think the economy stinks so i'm just going to say i hope it goes good

January 5, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  177. SallyMae

There is no way any of this is over. The actions that athorities have taken will only buy us a little time, which indicates a bumpy ride. It will be rough to start but i have faith that things will turn around by the end of '09

January 5, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  178. Sarah

I think that everything will get much worse before it gets better. With a new president and the war and the financial issue, more families are going into debt. But eventually the economy will get better.

January 5, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  179. michelle

Carl, i really think that this year will all be down hill. it's going to be a year off job losses, whole companies will be destroyed, i have start seeing many stores going out of business and that’s just the beginning of are long, unfortunate events. Now nothing against Obama here but there is no way he can do it by himself. he needs help from everyone including you, me, and all the government. this will effect them economy world wide and we won't be out for awhile.

January 5, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  180. Daveeed

I think it will be a bumpy ride. Obama will do a great job, I think. I like cheese, as well, and that will play an enormous role in removing us from this debt.

January 5, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  181. Anna

I am SOO looking forward to the new year. Who knows...maybe I will be a part of the DOW's lowest average in the new millenia! (This is sarcasm, FYI) On the bright side of things, our president elect has a promise of hope and change. Let's just hope he fulfills what we wish for...

January 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  182. Alvin

I think that things will become better in couple of years just not as early as we would have all loved to happen.

January 5, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  183. jared and jordan

Hey Carl how are you doing in 09? Because we like it in
    09. We like cnn student news because we finaly get to watch t.v in school.
    sicerely, jared and jordan

January 5, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  184. ila

all the troubles from last year will repeat including recession so 09 will be the new 08

January 5, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  185. Elizabeth

I think it is probaly going to go rough with economy crisis, global warming, and other crazy stuff.But I hope next year it will go smoother if we can take care of the problems we face.

January 5, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  186. Joseph

I think that the economy will get worse before it get's better. Also, people seem to think that president-elect Obama will fix things pronto, however, I think it will take at least a year for things to start up again.

January 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  187. Alice

I think that the economy won't be fine,because a lot of people are going to loose their jobs. And then there's all the fighting and poverty and sickness around the world although I sure hope they'll end.
    But I really do hope I can do well on my test! 😀
    Anyway,HAPPY NEW YEAR !

January 6, 2009 at 4:58 am |
  188. Alice

ps Be strong and face the problems of our time!

January 6, 2009 at 4:59 am |
  189. gwen!!!

OF COURSE WE WILL BE FINE!! ITS 09!!!!

January 6, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  190. Sean

I want to hear about the war in Iraq. Are we winning? Will our troops be out soon?

January 6, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  191. Haley

I THINK THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE IN 09!!!!! BEWCAUSE OBAMA IS OUR NEW PRESIDENT!!!!

January 6, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  192. Aidan

I think that '09 will be a tough year to get through. There is a crisis taking place, and coming back from this won't be easy.

January 6, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  193. Brooks

I think that it will be a very good year because we have a really good president and he will make good choices for our country.

January 6, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  194. ~Maya & Allison :D

We think that it might get worse, but it will get better later because people are more aware now of the economy. =] 🙂

January 6, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  195. gwen!!!

my favorite story was the one with the music punishing!! because you guys put my blog on CNN Student News!!!! wahoooo!!! that was really cool thanks guys!

January 6, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  196. merrill

I'm most interested in sports news. I think it's going to be a bumpy ride.

January 6, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  197. MATT

I can defiantly say that are family's spending has defiantly gone down. having a little brother really makes me think that he might not have a good adult hood. I am also interested on all of the job losses and how this is going to effect us.

January 6, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  198. Dirt Diver

Id like to hear more about the economy and politics, I also like the little short stories that are just odd. I think that 09 is going to be a little bumpy considering it will get worse before better and my family is already having trouble. another thing that I would like to hear about is the pirates my opin ion is we should shoot them and get them scared of us. we cant keep letting them do it.

January 6, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  199. Abby

The stories that I think will interest me the most is the inauguration of president-elect Obama and how he controls with the problems of the US. The second story is the economy, I'm eager to see where it goes. Hopefully the rides not too bumpy in '09!

January 6, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  200. Eliza

I'm mostly going to be interested in stories about our economy. I want our country to get better.

January 6, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  201. Devin

I think that maybe our economy will get worse, but somehow we'll pull through. It's kind of funny that I don't feel affected by the war or the economy, but then I'll watch CNN Student news or other news stations and I'll think and I will understand what's happening.

January 6, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  202. Elena

I am really interested in the nature and how the earth is doing with global warming, and if scientist are working on ideas.

January 6, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  203. Grace

I think that you should do more about the environment and global warming. We have two problems to solve, global warming and the economy. I hope Obama can fix them. Or get other countries to help

January 6, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  204. Emily

I think the economy has to get worse before it gets better. I mean, we've lost so many jobs and so much money, it can't just go back to normal with just the inauguration of Obama; though I think he'll help speed our economic recovery. He'll also help a lot with global warming, which is also important. 2009 may not pass as smoothly as it could, but it will still make things better.

January 6, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  205. Deldar

I'm most interested in the coming environmental stories, because thats the thing I'm most worried about and if people will still try to help our environmental even if there low on money.

January 6, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  206. Aaron

I think that the economy will keep going down hill. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

January 6, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  207. Kiera

I don't think the economy will be fine in 2009 because since the prices are going up, people aren't spending so much and that puts companies in trouble which is making our economy even worse.

January 6, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  208. clark

I think those fools in the government should just pull the troops out of Iraq, let them die and use the money from the troops for our economy.

January 6, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  209. cassandra

I think that it will get worse then slowly get better but right now the economic crisis is going into the toilet but if everyone will set back on the money spending then it will be fine in 2009.

January 6, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  210. Teddy Bear

i think that the economy is going to get a lot worse and will be rough year and will not gat better for along time.

January 6, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  211. josh

The economy is definitely going down that lady thinks that everything will still be fine it won't take the troops out of Iraq and save money doing that nobody that has the power to do something about thinks that this will be over soon this isn't a fairy tail if the government can't see that we probably on our own.

January 6, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  212. Kaitlyn :D

I think that the high school student is right. Things are going to get worse before they get better. 2008 was a though year, but that's 08 we are now in 2009, so it's that past but it leaves a mark. There are a lot of stories that are going to come up this year, some good, some not that good. Some people don't know this is happening, or they don't want to think this is happening to our economy. What I think is going effect the most people this year is the loss of job. People need to stop spending and start saving their money because they could be the next victim to lose their job.

January 6, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  213. Sophie!!!!!!!

I think that 2009 has just started! so yea there are going to be good times and bad times so are money problems will get alot worse or alot better and not that many people know that this is really happening so i think America should step up and take action!

January 6, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  214. Jo

The economic crisis I think is going to last about four years maybe shorter if the war would end in Iraq and Obama does a good job, because if this crisis is at the bottomless pit it will get slowly better and better until years later it will be at the normal place, but it might get worse if people still decide to make bad decisions.

January 6, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  215. fiona

It will definetly be a bumpy ride this year. The economy is terrible and it will get way worse before it gets any better. We need to stop spending money and start saving. We also need to pull the troops out of Iraq. Because we are spending a disgusting amount of money there, that we don't need to be spending. I think its horrible that we are still in iraq after 5 years. Yes, it is definetly going to be a very very bumpy ride this year

January 6, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  216. Lea

Something is seriously wrong with the government....Don't they care about all of us. Instead of spending all of this money on things that aren't really important. People should start saving instead of spending money on things like clothes and tv's and other things that dont really matter. Instead they should focus on buying thing that do matter like food. The war has been going on too long and the government is spending to much money on that. Hopefully our economy will be fixed.

January 6, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  217. Andrew

It is going to be an absolute struggle to keep our economy going...All this trouble is going to put on the shoulders of the next decade which is high school students now...

January 6, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  218. Gimme

I don't believe that the 09 will be fine, first because we are just waisting our money on useless things. For example the Iraq war was practically a waste dump for our money. It is nice that we our being supportive to freedom but, the money we spent on that one word is just outrageous. 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦

January 6, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  219. Ben

I think that it will eventually get better because people are cutting back and the economy can start to regain what it has lost and it is already starting too get better because of that.

January 6, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  220. Natalie

I think that since we have a new president we will have a fresh start and things will probably get better but probably not at first i think it will take a little bit of time for things to fall back in to place and be fine again.

January 6, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  221. Moira

I think that we now face something that we can't ignore, or can't put off to the side. Our economy is in trouble, and I believe that Obama will help us out of this. Not right away, of course. It is going to take a while, but in the end we will get out of it and turn to the next problem ahead of us.

January 6, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  222. willy

i agree with sayer

January 6, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  223. eric

i don't think things will be good in 09 the lobstering is not worth it any more cuz it is so cheep per pound gas is doing better and home heating oil and food but this world is not do to good

January 6, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  224. Shae

I think that that its going to get worse to get better like it just can't go away and even though we have a new president thats not going to help to much we all need to cut down our experiences a lot and just hope that things get better in the next year or two

January 6, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  225. kameron

for now i think its going to be hard for every one because of the recestion that were in and that people are loosing there jobs fast but i think in the end it will get better but it mite not you never really now how thinks are going to turn out

January 6, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  226. samuel

we are definitely going into a depresiom we are making to much money stop printing the money

January 6, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  227. Micah

I think what sayer said was true because I mean like we are like losing money and stuff and like dude I might not be able to like EAT MY DELICIOUS FOOD ANYMORE- I think I should move somewhere else like Korea.

January 6, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  228. joeshmo

i think that we will go down like way down for example we will lose about .9 million more jobs is my guess but once all or most all of the bad happens it think it will recover just like in 1918 and in 1931 😦 + 🙂 😉

January 6, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  229. Espen

I think that if we want things to get better than we have to try to make it better rather than just rely on people like the new president.

January 6, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  230. Hannah & Hannah

well... we think Obama as allot of hope and ideas but is that really enough to run a country so it could go either way in our opinion. But i still think its going to be a bumpy road. 😀

January 6, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  231. Matt

I think this hole economy thing is not something that obama will b able to fix like he implying he can. Americas not in for being fine in '09 man!!!

Hi Carl. Hi Mr. Todd.

January 6, 2009 at 11:41 am |

Obamas only one man. He may be able to fix some things, but not all things like people hope he will.

January 6, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  233. Paige

So far the economy has been rough, people haven't got allot of money to buy stuff. But we will probably go through a bumpy road dealing with the economy, With the war and every thing. After we will probably be fine.

January 6, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  234. Tori

I think that it will be a bumpy ride but it might get better people should only spend money on the things that are more needed and not stuff like t.v.s and laptops because you might need the money later on.

January 6, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  235. Quinn

I don't think things are going to be fine in 09 because it's just free faling to the bottom and it will be a long time before we get on our feet. the long bumpy ride up might go back down.

January 6, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  236. Ryan

I think that it will get worse because jobless people will not be able to send as much so other companies will have to cut bake on workers.

January 6, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  237. molly

I think we are going to have a bumpy ride because the gas, food and lots more things are increasing the money on how much people will have to pay and now people can't do as much stuff because things are so much money, also because people have cars and use then on jobs to get money they are also using so much gas and the economy isn't doing so well that all the polar bears are dying because all the ice is melting, and the economy is not doing so well but I think we can get it better and I do think that the world isn't going to be on a bump ride all the time if we just try to do the world some good.

January 6, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  238. Jacob

Let's not get involved in this war unless they open fire on Americans!

January 6, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  239. Rebecca0:.)

I don't worry because Obama will hopefully change and help the government.I have good hopes and you all should have good hopes too. 0:.)

January 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  240. margaret

i am not exactly happy with the president elect so i hope we can get through the next 4 years with obama

January 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  241. darian

09 is NOT going to make through the year . Im suprisied we are making it so far . no comment . whats happening to the world is not my problem .

January 6, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  242. Brooke : )

I think that once President elect Obama steps up to plate everything is going to turn around for this country and things are finally going to start getting better.

January 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  243. Casey

The economy and its struggles seem to be the best story to talk about of all that's happening. I believe we will have more big companies ask for a bailout just like the auto industry proposed. There will be much controversy on President Elect Obama's choices to help change this country. It will be a very tough road for Obama and he can only make the choices best for our country.

January 6, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  244. Brandon

I think 09 will be one of the worst years ever due to strugling economy and personaly I really dont think Obama can help us at all. As you know its going to get worse before it gets better.

January 6, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  245. Christine

Im a south Korean like Emily, and I think that the economy is going to go on a long, long trip... Until it drives near a cliff. For instance, I got my birthday present and Christmas present together!!!LOL
    Anyway, I hope for good, peaceful, and nice news(as if it can actually happen...=[

January 6, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  246. Natalie

I think 2009 will be a hard year for most people. My history teacher told me that since stores are making so many discounts, we are buying more, but the stores make less profit, and then they might go out of buisness, and then people lose their jobs. Discounts may be good for us, but their bad for the overall economy. If Obama's going to do something about it, I hope it's good.

January 6, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  247. Kira

All I can really say is that the economy and the stock market is definately going to get worse before it gets better. People are losing jobs, stores are closing... And this just isn't the United States, either. This problem has spread worldwide.

January 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  248. T-bo

We will probably be fine in 09 but we still need to change a few things during this year so we can make sure we will be. Personaly i think the biggest problem in America today is health care. We spend 2 trillion $ on health care each year (most in world) and we still have thousands of people being denied surgeries because they cant afford it. 1 out of every six people cant afford it! 18,314 Americas die prematurely just because of the lack of heath care. 1 of thoses babies who died could have grown up to be the person who finds a cure for cancer. This topic is hurting us deep down in our country.

January 7, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  249. chris

why do some people think that Obama will ruin this econmy even more, also since obama has elected the gas prices reacently started to go back up, the gas prices is like a rocket it keeps climbing and climbing

January 7, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  250. Brett

The economy is exspected to turn around in 6 months or less and then in a years time return back into a recession. This is because of the ammount of monet that has been put out for things like bailouts, etc. The goverment is going to have to get this money from somwhere guys, and its going to be anyone who pays taxes. Soo... Just be ready.

January 7, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  251. Michael

I think we will be fine as long as Barack Obama does the right thing and also the American people help.

January 7, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  252. will

I think that everybody thinks that the government will fix everything and that they don’t have to do anything to fix it but they are wrong they should do what they can to stop the economy from getting worse and if everybody does that the economy should be better and everything goes back to normal

January 7, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  253. David

I think that it will be a bumpy ride for us in 09. The economy will fall deeper into a recession but will fish itself out eventually. Also I am curious to see what Obama’s "change" is going to be. It is going to be very interesting.

January 7, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  254. Moamen

I think that all of what was said by the high school students is actually true. I believe that if “us” high school students actually think about we would come up with an idea for the recession in 2009 but if we just leave it to “others” then nothing would ever be done and we wouldn’t come out of 2009 “just fine”.

January 7, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  255. Nick

I think that this country is losing millions everyday but yet we're still spending billions on the space program, and other things we don’t need to focus on. and as far as the troops in Iraq my brothers one of them and I believe that if you pull them all out then that country would go back to a worse state than its in now. But just think about it we still have troops in Germany, Cuba and many other places we either helped out or fought against. And right now Iraq still needs are help with getting there economy back up.

January 7, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  256. Tinkerbell

Personally, I agree with the student that says that it’ll get worse before it gets better. It’s already hard now as it is. I work at a pizza place making minimum wage, with barely any hours, but anything is better than nothing. I’m always looking for something better though, and as long as we can keep that kind of positive attitude, we’ll be just fine in’09.

January 7, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  257. Jonathan

Carl I think you are right the economy is going to get worse before it gets better but how much worse can it get? We need to find some way to stimulate the economy besides giving big businesses large amounts of money for bail outs, the people need to be given the money because these companies are trying to survive but if the people don’t have the money to buy their products then the companies will not sale their products then more businesses are lost and so are the jobs those businesses provide.

January 7, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  258. Michael

I am expecting a fairly bumpy ride in 2009 because of the trouble in the Middle East and the economy. The Middle East shouldn’t even be a problem anymore as we have already established a new government in Iraq and we are worrying about Israel too much. At this point in time, Israel and the Gaza strip haven’t done anything towards us and I don’t believe we should get involved. For the economy, we are definitely going to get worse before getting better because there is a multi-trillion dollar debt and we are getting tax cuts from the government. Tax cuts won’t do anything but make the government flounder more and, though there will be more money in the hands of the people, cause the economy to drop once people have spent the money they saved with the cuts in taxes. Eventually we may get out of this crisis but I’m thinking that a time of impending crisis is going to have to occur for it to get better.

January 7, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  259. elisa

I think that in this new year, the economy is going to slowly start to get better. It probably won’t turn back to how it was before, but it’ll at least get a bit better than it is now. With Obama coming into presidency, he’ll have new plans to get the country out of the economic crisis. It will be interesting to see the change from a Republican party to a democrat party. I agree with what a few of the kids said, it has to get worse before it gets better. But how do we know that we’re not or having reached the lowest point already? Maybe this year will be the turn-around year. People are starting to take the crisis more seriously, which means that Americans will start better taking care of their money and not push themselves deeper into debt. I think these next few years the economy will rise, mainly with help from the new president.

January 7, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  260. Sarah

I think that what the kid said at the high school,how it is going to get worse before it gets better is somewhat true. More people are realizing how bad the economy has gotten in the past couple months. They are more aware of the situation and they want to fix it. I do believe that there will be more corruption and controversies that will occur in 2009. In the beginning things will be bad but as the year progresses things will get better. People will learn how to handle bad situations better. I do feel sorry for our new president because he has a lot of stuff on his hands and a lot to fix with the economy.

January 7, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  261. Jesse

Although our new president is trying all he can for US, I do not believe the economy would get better or recover enough to see dramatic results. The conflict in the Middle East would burden US even more. Like how some people say, US’s economic state is like a cycle. Cycle is like a season. It is natural and must goes through.

January 7, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  262. Mallory

Fine in ’09? Think again. I think along with the new year there will be more controversies, scandals, and corruption. Obama and his administration have a lot of work to do. Along with uniting the two political parties, he must solve the economic problems and deal with the war in Iraq. I look forward to seeing how well he accomplishes these tasks. Good luck new administration because you are going to need it.

January 7, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  263. Griffin

I simply have not seen anyone seriously affected by the economy at all. My mom is a consultant for Southern Living at Home and is proud to say that she had her biggest month ever (in means of sales) in fall of 08. She believes that maybe getting together just seems to help everyone out in times like this.

January 7, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  264. Michael

So far I haven’t been directly hit by the now global economy crisis. My mom has found a better teaching job, my little sister is now located at a prestigious school, and we have moved into a brand new house. With that said though, I believe that it is slowly going to start affecting more and more people across all levels of society. But I agree with the statement that has been said many times before: we are going to go through some hard times, but it’s not like this hasn’t happened before. We will get through this crisis and come out just “fine”.

January 7, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  265. Andrew

A bumpy road is simply life. The economy goes up and down, it’s natural. A solid mainstream system would require absolutely no change in the economy thus everyone would have to be exactly the same or somehow balance their payments and shopping and there’s no way that could ever happen, as if we even want it to. We’re not in WWIII and we’re not in the greatest depression. The economy is in a recession, something we get every few years and we’ll climb right through it just as we always have. The only reason this drop in the economy is so worried about and looked at is because it occurred in the perfect time for presidential elections, thus giving a great topic for them to talk about. It needs fixing, but we’ve fixed this dozens of times already and we simply need to do it again. Be careful with your money and remain as stable as possible until it’s over and all will be well in this wavy economy of ours.

January 7, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  266. Jesse

i think the economic crisis has gotton very bad but our nation has has seen times like these before, i believe with new democratic leadership that we have chosen i barrak obama we can oull ourselves out of this slowy but surely in due time.

January 7, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  267. Stephanie

I am interested to see how the US changes after Obama takes office. I am anxious to know if he will live up to all he’s quacked up to be. I am very interested to see how withdrawing our troops will be since we have lost so many jobs, what are the soldiers going to do when they come home? I also hope we come out of this recession quickly.

January 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  268. obama

i'll smooth out the bumps

January 7, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  269. Amanda

This year we will probaly have an ok year because of the ecomnomy, fine because Barack Obama is going to try to fix it.

January 7, 2009 at 2:30 pm |

I'm really worried about the money. I mean, I know people have it worse off than me, but it just got a lot harder this year. This is my sisiter's first year at college, and that alone took a lot. My brother is in private school, and I'm in public. We are tighter than ever. We can't buy any of the new appliances that we need.

January 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  271. angie aka boo-boo

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE NEWS

January 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  272. Jesse

I personally think that maybe this is something that needed to happen, because it shows the world that they need to get off there bottoms and and actually do something. teens, who are getting less and less interested in the real world, need to be the ones to help. Its OUR future the present affects, not the other way around.

January 7, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  273. Murphy

well someone will have to step up to the plate and take a swing at it or the mets wont win a game

January 8, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  274. nick

I think that this year will be tough with the economy, but if Obama makes the right decisions then we will be able to pull through the economic crunch. but we will have to do our part in not spending so much money.

January 8, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  275. Cassidy

I think that in 2009 the biggest story will be about the Gaza Strip and about how much debt we are in. It is a new year and we have another chance to pay off the big bucks. Also it will be about the Gaza Strip getting bombed.

January 8, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  276. Isaac

It will take a very long time for us to get out of the financial problems if we even do.

January 8, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  277. Kate

I think that 2009 is going to be rough! I think that a lot more people will be losing their jobs. I think that we are going to get in trouble with China because of all the money that we owe them or something like that. I also think that their will be more problems with the three auto companies. I also am not really sure about if Obama will actually do what he says he is going to do!

January 8, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  278. KAITLYN

I think Barack Obama will try to fix things but everything might not be as good as what people. I think money will be our biggest problem and how we owe so much to other countries!

January 8, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  279. Allison

I think that with our economy situation right now, people might start to care about themselves quite more. I think we might possibly take care of our money too well that we won't care about others in the poor parts of Africa, etc. There may be more deaths in these parts of the world. For instance, because we might not giving enough to charity, people in Africa may die of starvation or thirst. Otherwise, I think it will be a great year =]

January 8, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  280. Nickie

I think that the biggest issue for '09 will be the economy. It may be a bumpy ride but eventually our country will get through it. It's all part of a cycle. Many people will loose jobs and possibly even their homes. '09 will probably be just like '08 and maybe even some of 2010. After a few years, things will cool down and the war in Iraq will most likely be over. People just need to learn to spend money only on what you need, not what you want. I am looking forward to when this crisis is over!

January 8, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  281. Mr Smeenge Social Studies

I think that things will slowly work out throughout the year. I am looking forward to a new President and the hope he might provide. I am concerned about the increased violence in Israel and where that might lead the rest of the Middle East.

January 8, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  282. Makala

I think that it will get worse before it gets better. But what I am really worried about it going to fall on our shoulders. But I am hoping that it will get better with Obama But I don't know for sure. Who knows.

January 8, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  283. Justin

I think that the worst thing about 2009 is the new president in an economic crisis and that we are going to send to much money to Gaza and what not

January 8, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  284. Lisa

I think the biggest issue in 2009 will be the economy because we've already had lots of money issues and people losing their jobs and I think it will keep going down. But also I think Obama will help a lot and so having a new president is going to help us out a lot.

January 8, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  285. Joe

I hope that the new president is one that will lead us out of our economic struggles. And with gas prices going up and down and up. Also I think the war in Iraq is going to end up being a money waster.

January 8, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  286. Sarah

What I am looking forward to see in 2009 is cool inventions. It will be fun to see what we can come up with. I think the biggest issue in 2009 is going to be the war in Iraq. I am wondering when it will end.

January 8, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  287. Emily

It think that the biggest issue this year will be about the president. He is new and has to adjust. Big choices are made in the white house, and he is the one in charge. If the new president makes a bad choice, it will lead to bigger problems, that will lead to other problems. He has to do what is right, and take leadership of this state so it can grow to be wonder place to live in.

January 8, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  288. Andy

i think the biggest issue is about the 2 wars that are going on and Obama's plans. We are already in trillions of dollars in debt. The problem is that we to supply the war and Obama is gonna make us even more in debt. I think that he has good plans but right now is probably not the best time to be spend money like crazy. Our future can be ruined by dept and war. We need to do something about this.

January 8, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  289. Kirby

i do not think we will be fine in '09. I really hope so.The economy is horrible and the war in Israel doesn't look like it will be getting any better any time soon. What will happen if the U.S.A. has to get involved? How will we be able to handle thins? All we can do in hope for the better.
    ~Kirby ❤

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  290. Brandon

The biggest issue in 2009 will probably be the economy. Many more people will lose their jobs and more businesses will go out of business. Many people will have no extra money to spend. But I think that at the end of the year we will start to figure out why we are in the economy we are and figure out how to get back on track.

January 8, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  291. Ben

Everything from the transition to a new president to terrorist to the economy to the war in iraq all spells trouble for are country. Even with all these troubles weighing us down I believe we can make it through 2009 and put a end to many of these troubles that are hurting us and everyone around us.

January 8, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  292. Elijah

I think problem in 09 is the war between Gaza and Israel if We interfere with that our country's going to spend more money on troops and weapons. then will have a bigger debt than ever. If its there problem then let them solve it, I mean whats it got to do with us. and Our economic state is all started with one little deficit then it was a debt now they're going to dump it on our generation it not fair.

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  293. Emily

I believe the year 2009 will be quite bumpy. We have to expect things to be bumpy once in a while. But I also think that at some points during the year our nation will be OK. Right now, with the conflicts in the Middle East and our economy in recession, it is going to be hard for Americans the next few months. With many people unemployed as on now and money being a conflict for some people, it will be bumpy for most people. But as our nation in a whole with our soon to be president Obama, we might be OK. Obama has some plans for our nation; from what to do over in the Middle East and how to handle the conflict of health care which could help those who are employed and unemployed looking for jobs, and other individuals. News i would like to read about in the new year is how Obama will handle our nation's issues and if there will be a good turn out with his ideas, which I hope there will. Of course everyone wants to read good news, but with the way things are in our nation and what is happening in countries around us, it will be hard to see a lot of good news the next few months. Within time, issues will be helped and our economy will go back to what it used to be.

January 8, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  294. Colton

I think Barack Obama can lead us to a better economy. With his new plans and choices to help drive us out of this crisis i am very interested to see what happens. This year will hopefully go better than 2008 with Baracks's plans to bring the troops home and end the war. Even to help clean the environment with his idea of solar power. We are going through right now what is a cycle in the economic world.

January 8, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  295. Ann

fine in 09 are you kidding me. the way the economy looks now..i agree with everyone who has said that it will get bumpy before it gets smooth I think this is because gas prices go up and down unexspectanly then the prices for food and much more and of course the new president elect
    YA GO BARACK OBAMA!!!!!!!!

January 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  296. Marcus

The economy has just come out of an extremely rough time with the crisis on wall street and still not getting out of the middle east. It has gotten somewhat better with gas prices going back down. Although other money issues are still a major problem for example college, the price of college tuition keeps going up and up. How do colleges expect us to even go to college if we can't afford it. I think Obama can fix these problems but it is going to take a lot of work to get things even close to what they were before.

January 9, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  297. Mr. Essex 1st Period Geography

How can Mr. Obama talk about tightening the country's belt when he is staying in a suite until his inauguration for $6,000 a night.

January 9, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  298. Jasmine

I think that we will have alot of big problems in 2009. Whatever comes our way we will get through it. We have made it through 9/11 and hurricanes of all kinds, plus we have went throughalot of crisis so we wil get over the war, and the people that have lost their jobs.

January 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  299. joseph

i dont think that it will get to better but the people that fly to other banks and ask for money shouldnt be able to get the money because its not the other banks fault and they should go in debt.

January 9, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  300. Katie

Happy new Year!

January 13, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  301. joseph

azuz what were you thinking but you got smooth moves dude

January 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  302. Benjamin

I think we will SUCK in 2009. Our military camp in Cuba is shutting DOWN?? WHere will the people THAT WILL KILL ANY AMERICANS GO??? Plus the Billions of dollers givin out? Yea we will do good. WE are in three wars. Iraq, Afganastan, and the invisible war. FOr the people that have NO IDEA of what the invisible war is, its a war that you will not see on your news station.

January 13, 2009 at 8:52 pm |

It's going to be good having a new president. Bush (in my opinion) was never a good president. We needed John Kerry to win in the last election but that didn't happen. Now we have a new African American President that will undo all of Bush's dumb moves. 🙂

January 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  304. Mo

Yes things in the (09) well get bumper,The money,Over priced items,Gas and much more...But we have to learn from our past mistakes and hopefully learn from them.We will get right back on top one day.Until then we got ride it out.

-Mo

January 15, 2009 at 11:10 pm |