.
December 22nd, 2008

Strange Holiday Traditions

Until a recent Christmas party, a few of my friends had never heard of boiled custard 'til a guy showed up with a big ol' jug of it.  The words alone  - "boiled custard" - sound like a reason to go to the doctor.  But the person who brought it said it was one of his holiday traditions, so I poured myself a cup and found out that it tasted like melted ice cream.

Another friend of mine spent Thanksgiving with a family that spread fatback on its bread.  Fatback, for those of you who are already feeling uneasy, is literally that:  salt-cured fat from the side of a pig.  Some folks eat it like butter.

Now hold onto your lunch, 'cause this is about to get rough.  A woman I used to work with enjoyed a holiday helping of possum pot pie, as in a pot pie with possum.  She said it was pretty fattening and not nearly as enjoyable as tuna mousse.  I've heard of the mousse you eat for dessert and the mousse you put in your hair.  But mousse filled with fish sounds like a reason to try another restaurant.

Do you have any strange holiday foods or traditions you'd like to share with us?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Zach

hey i love your show. i almost cried when it had to end. by the way i really think you need to get some better puns.

December 22, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  2. ZACK

wat is your favorite football team

December 23, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  3. Chewy

Hey carl whats up i just want to let you know keep up the corny jokes at the end oof the show im loven them so does my teacher mr samiljan.we watch your show everyday and we record pretty much all the jokes you say.you should really put the shout out for us mr samiljan.peace keep up the corny jokes

December 23, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  4. Blair

Hey Carl, please show this comment so my class can get extra credit in social studies. I always have a big breakfast and dinner at each of my relatives houses (and get extra presents from each). Keep up the puns!! Adios!!!! Go Philadelphia Eagles!!!

December 23, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  5. BARBARA

hey carl, its barb here. im in mr. samiljan's class at the time and i wanted to let you know that you are so awesome because CNN student news is the highlight of my day (: we have a list of your puns hanging up on our chalkboard, the ones that are the greatest to us, have a golden star next to them(the ones that aren't corny and they actually make sense) ! i can't wait to see you again when you come back in a bit. HAVE A RAAAADICAL CHRISTMAS(: (: (: (: (:

December 23, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  6. Rheana

Every year, my dad procrastinates when it comes to getting a tree, so I FINALLY got my tree the night before Christmas Eve. The tree was completly crooked and was way too tall.

December 23, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  7. BARBARA

HOPE YOU POST BOTH OF MY BLOGS ON YOUR SHOW BECAUSE YOUR PUNS ARE PUNNYY. HAHAH, get it? ayyyyy ayy. funny stuff. well i cant't wait to see my blog posted up on teh news in January when you come backk, CARL! AND BEEEEEE FORE I GO, I AM WISHING YOU A VERYYYYYY AWESOMEEEE CHRISTMAS!

love ya, carl

December 23, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  8. Brinley

This year I want to start a new Christmas Tradition i want to sit around the tree and exchang corney puns!

Have a Happy Christmas/Kwanza/Chanukah

December 23, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  9. Kaitlyn :)

on christmas day my older sister and i watch tv surrounded by presents. We look happy until ouf smiles turn to frowns upon seeing the piles of new clothes:(

December 23, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  10. BARBARA #3

and post this one too.

bye carl,
    xoxo- barbb

December 23, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  11. TrEvOr

hi Carl! All of us above(except for the first Zach) are in my class. We love your show! Put this on your show! My family tradition is- the one side of my family is Polish so every year, we make homemade Perdawgies(not sure of the spelling, you say it different than the kind you get in the stores), fish, cabbage rolls and a bunch of other good cusine. And it is nice to get together with old and new family you never see much. =]

December 23, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  12. Danielle

I eat (normal things) until I'm full. The weirdest thing I'll ever eat is mac&cheese.
    Have a great Christwanzakah!!

December 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  13. Meredith

Every Christmas, my sisters and I always get up early. But, most people do right? Well, the reason we're so different is because we get up at 4:30 am!! Once we started getting older though, we decided we wanted a little more sleep, so each year we have to set a time limit that we're not aloud to wake up anyone before then. It stinks when you have to wait an hour till that time because you can't go back to sleep. Trust me, I done it several times. =) Then, always around 10am, after we've been up for a good 4-5 hours, we always end up falling asleep and taking a nap.

December 23, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  14. Jacob

Hi Carl my name is Jacob and I would like for you to know that all of my grade's classes love your show. My holiday tradition is to go to my grandparents house and exchange gifts with my entire family. My favorite part of the show is your puns and the trivia questions. This is goodbye and MERRY CHRISTMAS or in Chinese Kung His Hsin Nien bing Chu Shen Tan!

December 24, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  15. jordan s

my class waches ur show every day

December 24, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  16. Tiffany

Can you have a AYWTS blog? That stnads for Anythig You Want To Say.

December 24, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  17. josh

hey i love the show.yea i have to eat thise nasty food all day and after that i eat cookies for the rest of the night

December 25, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  18. brandy

we had lasagna and antipasto salad which i hated

December 26, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  19. kevin

hi

December 27, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  20. cammie

We have rost pig for new years! That's what we always have. Its not a ham it's a actual pig! it can sound gross but it actully taste good.

December 29, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  21. Garrett

Every year my family goes sledding on Christmas eve and then we go to a fast food restaurant. Everyone even my grandparents. This year I brought my girlfriend along with the group and everything was going great. That is until my older brother accidently ran over her with his sled and broke her leg. After she got her cast on we all (including my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) signed her leg and went to Taco Bell for a midnight snack.

December 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  22. Angela

My boyfriend's family has a tradition of going sledding on Christmas eve and then going out to eat. This year I went along. I was at the bottom of the hill about to get up and walk to the top when...BAM!!! I get hit by my boyfriend's brother. He had broken my leg so we went to get a cast and then went out to eat. I was so embarassed when everyone wanted to sign my leg at Taco Bell. I hope you,Carl, had a less painfull holiday then I did.

December 30, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  23. R.J.

My family at the end of every christmas have to do some dance at the end, you should see my mother it is halirous.

December 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  24. Katie

Carl, You are HILARIOUS on your show. Our class watches you about every day and I think your very funny! It's a joy to watch you every day!

December 30, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  25. Tamerra

My Nana makes this nasty stuffing for almost every Holiday! She puts these things called capers in it their so nasty.

December 31, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  26. cheese n' quackers

Hey Hey Hey!!! hi Carl!!!! hope you love cheese cause this Christmas we stuffed the turkey with bread crumbs, CANNED CHEESE, and... GRAPE JELLY!!

January 2, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  27. Sean

Hey carl my name is Sean and my strange holiday tradition is making little ginger bread houses then little familys the we see who can crush the little house and people the fastest and see who can ruin there old cloths the most and have a strange holiday tradition with your family

January 3, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  28. kaitlyn

Hey carl! On christmas this year i sat home with my family and lounged on the couch watching a christmas story all day long. On new years eve i was the only one to stay awake the whole time for the ball to drop.

January 3, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Tara

We had these gross green beans! eww! and the day after, we had eggs with out anything on them, PLAIN EGGS! GROSS

January 4, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  30. Adrian

ummm... yeah thats preatty strange but i believe everyone has different ways of celebrating the holidays. They could be diffrent religion?

January 5, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  31. Megan Marie

For Christmas we all go over to my grandparents where we set figgy pudding on fire with a little bit of alcohol and we all sit around the table and watch the cake burn while singing Christmas carols. Though people in England probably don’t find this weird my family is very much Italian and my grandparents are Irish so when they moved over here they brought their traditions with them.

January 5, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  32. Sammie

Well, usually my dads side of the family would go to my grandma’s house on Christmas Eve and celebrate with her and my dad would make this Greek pastry called baklava. This year we still spent it at her house, but she was in the hospital from a massive stroke...

January 5, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  33. jason

ma christmas was ok it was so bored..... wat i got for christmas is seeing ma whole family........with ma cousin and family i luv christmas

January 5, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  34. Jake

Every Christmas Eve I spend with my Mom's side of the family, yet every Christmas day I spend with my Dad's family. Also, every other Easter holiday we take a trip down to my Uncle's house in Florida and celebrate it with him and my two cousins usually by getting candy, gift cards, and going out to dinner that night.

January 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  35. Elizabeth

My family is Russian so we kind of have wierd food like pickled oranges but I think that the wierdest food that my family eats is ...cow tounge.It tastes like chicken except it is realy chewy.(If you think that is wierd my grandmother likes chicken hearts.)

January 5, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  36. Jared

I think this is so nasty, I mean why can’t people just keep the tradition and just have some cookies with icing or something. The boiled custard thing doesn’t seem that bad though, but the possum pot pie, that is uncalled for. I don’t care who you are and I know that can’t be healthy for you. Don’t even get me started with the tuna mousse either.

January 7, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  37. anthony

One unusual holiday tradition that my family use to do when i was younger was every christmas eve after church we would have to drive around and look at all the christmas lights on peoples houses. I dont know why we just did. We also got to open one present on chrismas eve

January 7, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  38. Alexis

what we do in christmas is we play dirty bingo! You roll two dice and if you get a match, you get to take a presentfrom the middle of the table. It's so much fun!

January 15, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  39. CD

hey carl you can bust a move but the other guy had it won keep dancin your way to the students!

January 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  40. Gerhard

Question,
    Will President elect Obamas inaugurations speech be available in printed form somewhere in the USA

Thank you
    Gerhard

January 18, 2009 at 1:31 pm |