.
December 9th, 2008

Let this be a lesson to all...

This is what happens when you bet with your heart, not your head.  On the left is the author of this post, a proud Michigan State University alum, forced to wear some form of pale blue because North Carolina narrowly defeated my Spartans in hoops last week.  And yes, narrowly, because if we would have just made 9 four-point plays, we’d have won!  It could be worse-this could be the blue and yellow colors of U of M, (perish the thought) though they do get props for handling Duke on national TV this past weekend.

To my right is the gleeful smirk of one Jordan Bienstock, Student News writer and Tar Heels fan.  I take solace in the fact that it’s way early in the season, and hope springs eternal until the tournament.  (“The” tournament, not the made for TV conference versions.)  I'm not sure he has stopped gloating, and this post will certainly not help.  How long is that victory lap anyway?

Paying the bet
I’ll now swear off frivolous office bets for good.

Wait.

MSU is playing UGA (pronounced Uh-Guh) in the Capitol One Bowl on Jan 1st!  Since there are more Georgia alums and their fans running around here than ants at a picnic, that gives me an idea...

Jerry DeMink, VP CNN News Services

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. nollie

since i really am not into sports that much, it really doesnt matter to me who wins or loses, but i do have to say the picture even made me laugh!

December 9, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  2. Charnae

I think this is not really a lesson for us to learn because its just about a game, but i do like football. I think MSU is going to win but you never know.

December 9, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  3. Cindy

it's a bit funny. i didn't know that cnn staff could be like that!!
    i just watched 12/10 cnn student news 10 minutes after it was updated. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im in korea
    why isn't there any carl azuz postings today???
    i like them so much
    perhaps because im too early

December 10, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  4. jessie

hey my name is jessie and i just want to tell u guys that i think the saints and the panthers are goung to loss their way to the super bowl so i think the buckenerners are going to win the super bowl.

December 10, 2008 at 8:31 am |
  5. PAULATAVIA

I LOVE TO BE IN THE FRONT ROW WHILE REGGIE BUSH IS PLAYING I LOVE THE GAMES OF SAINTS WITH REGGIE BUSH IN IT.

TAY-TAY

December 10, 2008 at 8:32 am |
  6. Eddie

Hey i like uf football the sarasota sailors and the patriots football

December 10, 2008 at 8:33 am |
  7. dash

GO MIAMI HURICANS for next football season we will be number 1 next year

December 10, 2008 at 8:34 am |
  8. Matthew

That picture is prety funny, Nollie.

December 10, 2008 at 9:32 am |
  9. cameron

i think uga is going to win because they have a good running back

December 10, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  10. Eddie

I love football and all but, not MSU or UGA. I think i'll stick with UGA they are going to take it home........... GO UGA!!!!!!!!!!

December 10, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  11. ruben

i like michigan more so i think is is not right even thow state was good but machigan

December 10, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  12. James

Now if it was me i would go to the NFL but he wants to be a doctor and an NFL player.. IDK but i would go for both if i was him!!!

December 10, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  13. Pickle

Okay I like this lesson.
    BUT WHERE IS CARL????

December 10, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  14. Carlos

If it's about a game I don't know if we should learn a lesson or not but I do like sports such as baseball, soccer, and basketball. This picture is funny!

December 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  15. tiera

I would probably go for the doctor because i suck at football.

December 10, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  16. Ender

DUKE is the best!!! Go Blue Devils!!!

December 10, 2008 at 6:28 pm |

I like sports and stuff but the only problem is that i don't like MSU at all i have been a wolverine fan all my life and i will NEVER be on MSU's side.........its like a swear word in my house so go UGA because i would be really sad if MSU won!

December 10, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  18. bubble

All I will say is NFL.

December 10, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  19. Ms. Shurrack's Class

Hey Carl,

I'm in Ms. Shurack's Class, we love watching CNN student news! your the best.

December 10, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  20. Olivia

Michigan is the best!
    Go Blue!
    Hi Mr. LaFave!

December 10, 2008 at 9:09 pm |
  21. Todd

That really is a bummer, i'm MSU all the way, next time think about it before you bet!

December 11, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  22. Brittney

Well duke is the best so he shouldn't care he is supporting the Best colors he should be proud.

December 11, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  23. Chad

That is really cool, but I don't get why the coyote attacked him in the first place.

December 11, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  24. Chyanne

Well...i am a sports fan but hate watching it, i cant just sit there and let a team lose with out getting bent out of shape. I love to play basketball, snowboarding, and rodeo. So you can say im pretty athletic, but i just cant stand watching someone lose!

December 12, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  25. jacob

come on Spartans

December 13, 2008 at 8:50 am |
  26. Lillie

Im sorry your guy lost but it just makes it so much harder when someone else is bad winner. Isn't enough to just win. I victory lap is just a lap, only one, not a mile!

December 14, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  27. mitchell

It is a shame that Michigan State didn't defeat North Carolina, I would have loved to see North Carolina go down to the Michigan state but there is always next time!! Im going Georgia in the Capital One Bowl be cause of there unstoppable running game, and Georgia can get it done in the air. There defense has to show up to play though because Michigan State has one of the best running backs in the Big-Ten.

December 16, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  28. josh

that guy is tall and this picture looks really funny...haha

December 16, 2008 at 12:39 pm |
  29. jordan

I do think some people did take it to far. it sounded like people are makeing fun of him. Just because he is blind doesn't give you the right to make fun of him. Blind people have feelings also.

December 17, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  30. jarett

MSU all the way

December 17, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  31. Charlotte

funny photo! GO MSU! they rox!

December 18, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  32. Haily

i would say something only i dont like msu i'm a UofM fan

December 19, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Oh god. I feel for ya. Kinda. Well not really. I personally don't like either team. So haha.

December 19, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  34. Caitlin

This is just another sign that our society cares more about sports than certain other important issues. A kid in my class probably has more of an opinion on his favorite hockey team than, say, his education.

January 2, 2009 at 4:25 pm |