.
December 4th, 2008

Strrrrike!

They're from a country that is only one-third as large as ours is - but has more than THREE TIMES as many people.  Reporter Chris Lawrence estimates that their families make about $25 a week.  And until recently, neither of the Indian athletes featured on Friday's show had ever touched a baseball.

It's clear they've never seen an opportunity like this one.  This is the kind of thing that's worth traveling halfway around the world for, betting your future on your pitching arm.

How far would you go to chase a dream?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Rene

if it's what i love,then i would go forever

December 4, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  2. -:-:-:Brandy-:-:-:

That is so radankulous it sounds so sweet. My family would support me no matter where i went, and it would be pretty sweet just to do something to suceed.

December 4, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Caroline (Brandy)

That is so ssssswwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt. i don' t know how far i would go to make my dreams come true.

December 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Stefanie

That story is really inspirational. I moved to the U.S from Scotland two years ago and the opportunities America provides is amazing compared to where i lived. Seeing the difference really made me strive to achieve my dreams just like the indian athletes, which i would go to any extent to obtain, as i am lucky enough to be able to have a million more opportunities.

December 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  5. Rosalina

How far would i go to chase a dream?? I would go pretty far. As far to the point im arguing with my parent and telling them what path iim taking even if its across the world. I would work extremly hard for what i want in my life and everyone who has a dream should go out for them. Dedication and hope are very important things to reach your goals:)

December 5, 2008 at 12:59 am |
  6. Nathan

I've been to places like this before. (MMI, every year) And i've seen how those people look up to us, and if only they had opportunities that we hear have had. I think it's great that this team has taken it upon themselves to go and get the dream the want, and no doubt deserve. It's things like this that make me remember that since I'm in this great country, I might as well be all I can be.

December 5, 2008 at 9:41 am |
  7. liam

i would go very far for my dream. because i want it realy bad.

soccer

December 5, 2008 at 9:45 am |
  8. tim melissa

i would onley go so far then if they did not accept me then i would quit chasing it.

December 5, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  9. Levi & Gage

I think that it is really cool. They should go for their dream. I would chase it until I die.

December 5, 2008 at 9:49 am |
  10. Sabrena

As far as I need to go to achieve that dream

December 5, 2008 at 9:50 am |
  11. Ashlei

I would go as far as I needed to go to chase my dreams, even if my dreams take me somewhere unexpected.

December 5, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  12. Brianna

I think that giving people from other countries a chance to play baseball is a great idea, because they might need the chance to earn money to help themselves and their families.

December 5, 2008 at 9:53 am |
  13. freddie

I think it is good!!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 at 9:53 am |
  14. freddie

I think it is good but we should not have a lot of people from ather countiys playing ara sports.

December 5, 2008 at 9:55 am |
  15. Julie

I would go far to reach a dream, but i wouldn't hurt anyone to get there. I would work hard do what if takes but not at the expense of anyone else.

December 5, 2008 at 9:56 am |
  16. Lily and Caitie

I think that if you have a dream that you REALLY want to achieve, you should go to the extreme TO achieve it, – Lily

I believe that if you really have a passion for something then you should take the chance or go the distance to achieve what you want most, or you'll wind up regretting not taking the chance for the rest of your life. – Caitie

December 5, 2008 at 9:58 am |
  17. Calamari

I would chase a dream until it took me to home plate, and hope to have supportive teammates routing me on.

December 5, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  18. Amber

I think it is cool that they are getting intersted in baseball. If that was me I would go as far as I could go. I think that $25 dollars is not alright and I think that $25 dollars would be hard to live off of with all the job loses.

December 5, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  19. Dakota and Christina

I came from Russia where there were no schools that is why I would like to be an animal control officer so I would go far enough to obtain a good education and a degree so I could be an animal control officer.

December 5, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  20. Jacob

I think it's awesome that the pirates recruited from so that a lot of people got the chance to have an awesome job and it helped those two guys families because they only made about $25 a week so the kinda did a good deed.

December 5, 2008 at 10:06 am |

As far as i need to run to get to home base.

December 5, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  22. william

I would chase a dream until I stop thinking and start crying.

December 5, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  23. Amanda & Natalie

We both agree that giving other countries the chances to have a great life at something they are good at is awesome! Their country was never introduced to baseball but they had the skills to play it. It was so nice of them to take those people to the U.S. where they could learn the game and be an amazing pitcher like they had the skills for all along. We think thats just great!!
    -Amanda & Natalie

P.S. We belive that if it were us in that situation we would like for them to do that for us, so we have great appretiation for this section of CNN.

December 5, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  24. Ryan & Cassaundra

Ryan: It would depend on the dream. If it was something that I really wanted I might chase it pretty far, but if it wasn't that important to me I would stay right where I am at to achive my smaller dreams first.
    Cassaundra: I agree a little bit with Ryan because it depends on the dream. I would achive my smaller dreams first then keep going up to my greatest dreams. I would go pretty far for my greatest dream but with great dreams comes great sacrifices.

December 5, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  25. àndréw and haylea

Haylea- I think it would depend on how much I want it and how long I have wanted it because people give up on dreams or create new ones all of the time. If I wanted a certain dream for a long time for a good reason then I'd make sure I could fulfill it.

Andrew- I think it would depend on how bad i want it also and if i was on a different continent and i had to travel from africa to america that would be a tough dessision and it would also for me depend on if you were gonna make tons of $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$

December 5, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  26. Laura and Kari

I would go as far as I cold so I can get the dream I have always wanted so I believe that I would go all the way if I really wanted it.If it were a dream that is like haveing the man of my life and the best kids in the whole world or the best house in the world along as a job that I make a million a day then I followed my dream that I wanted on the whole world .
    I would do anything i could to get my dream to come true. If this was one of the dreams that I really wanted, I wouldn't let anything get in my way and stop me from chasing and making that dream come true.

December 5, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  27. April

I'd go very far chasing my dreams. You'd be crazy to not take the opportunity no matter how far you have to travel. It would be a dream come true! :]

December 5, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  28. Angelina

"Keep to your dreams, and nothing can stop you from becoming who you want to be." -AZ, 2006

December 5, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  29. Cassidy and Bailey

Dear CNN student news,
    We think that these two young men from India should go all the way! Anyone who can pitch as good as they seem should have a chance and go all the way. Even though they are from a different country they should still have a shot. Also, if they came all the way from there and have been chosen; then go all the way and don't quit!! For that being there first chance with that great opportunity, all should be able to succeed in the game of baseball. We think that they will become one of the greatest Pittsburgh Pirates, pitchers. If they didn't continue on then they might regret it for the rest of their lives. From going to 25 dollars a week to a lot would make a difference to them and to their families.
    Sincerely,
    Bailey and Cassidy

December 5, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  30. Matthew

I think it's great that they are leting this guy leave his mark in the world by leting him play baseball.

December 5, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  31. cameron

They are awesome pitchers and I hope that they do well in the majors.

December 5, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  32. cameron

i have been playing baseball for 8 years and i cant belief that they have never heard of it.

December 5, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  33. Austin

I'm a back-woods kinda guy & myself I'd chase it down, shoot it, clean it, & hang it on the wall, kinda like these guy's, they're gonna chase there dream, catch it, get it how they want it, & have something to tell they're grandkids.

December 5, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  34. Jerry

it's awsome that these guys are going this far, come on half way around the world, I would go around the world 100 times for my dreams if it took me that far, and i think it would be fun.

December 5, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  35. Brett

I would go as far as I needed to to acheive my dream, it is something I do not want to give up on.

December 5, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  36. Victoria E

I got t the end of the world and back again to achieve my goal. I'd work non-stop until I reached my dream.

December 5, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  37. Nathan

I think that if people don't go half way around the world our society would not be great. The people that chase extraordinary dreams are the people that will make something of them selves.

December 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  38. Jas

To chase a dream, i would exceed any expectations and excel beyond a home run!

December 5, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  39. Mickaela and Madison

It depends on how big or important my dream is. If it was my life-long dream I would go as far as I needed to achieve it.

December 5, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  40. joshy

I would go as far as i have to go .

December 5, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  41. Caleb and Laura

We think it is cool how they would recruite someone from so far away where the people don't get a chance to follow adream and now they have a dream to follow.

December 5, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  42. Jacob

i would go all the way unless i died before i get there

December 5, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  43. Jacob

i have been wanting to be a storm chaser all my life i will not stop until i reach my goal...

December 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  44. J.J.

I would go as it takes for me to become a(n) animal cop because love
    all types of animals. I think that if I saved someones pet(s) I would probably get something that might use later on in my life. I will help my grandma by food for my family so that way my dad and grandma will be able to keep their money that they earn.

December 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  45. Merkin

I would go to the other side of the world to reach my dreams. I owuld miss my family but if you reach your dreams and get a good job then you would have enough money to go see them.

December 5, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  46. Danielle & Danielle!

If you have a dream, you should try your hardest to pursue it!

December 5, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  47. cole and katie butler

we believe if u want it bad enough u should get r done and do it!

December 5, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  48. cassie and destiny

we would go as far as the eye can see we would help people that need help and see all the wonders.

December 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  49. NEMO/KAYLA

We think that if you believe in something that you should do whatever it takes to reach your goal no matter what if you can believe you can achieve.So keeping on dreaming and you will some day reach you dream or goal.

December 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  50. cassie

i would go and start small and go big with my dreams.

December 5, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  51. scotty and ira

Wewould go to the moon and back and then to the sun and back.

December 5, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  52. Dillon and Trey

trey- To bad i cant tell you because im still waiting for that dream to come, i geuss i just dont have one yet yah so to bad. and if i did have a dream i just might go all the way just to reach it. PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dillon- I would go to the end of the world and beyond to chase my dream!!!!!!! and i think if you have a dream that is very important to you then you should do anything to acompolish or atleast get a shot to accomplish that dream.

December 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  53. Accacia

I think the "Big Three" should get the money they need so we could keep driving cars. Younger kids should still have a chance to drive a car. If I dont get to drive I will be angry at George W. Bush. Bush should stop being so stubborn and just give them thhe money.Lastly I want to say Carl keep doing your puns my teacher Mr.Grimes loves them.He laughs at them all.Your funny lol. 🙂

December 5, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  54. Faith

I would go to the ends of the earth and back to achieve my dream.

December 5, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  55. Carlos

The men from India are great at baseball. I'm not sure if they did good.

December 5, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  56. billy

I would try to live my dream and play as hard as I can.

December 5, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  57. billy

that would be really cool and i would go pretty far in my dream.

December 5, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  58. Mina

Chasing a dream is one of the most important things you can do. If that's their dream then let them play ball!

December 6, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  59. alyssa

I can't believe the brothers have to sleep outside.They must be cold.but hey at least there getting money some how.

December 6, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  60. Macay

i would go till my leash pulled tight.

December 6, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  61. JULIAN

Man if it's their dream than go for it.Dont you just love my striking comment

December 7, 2008 at 12:38 am |
  62. Virginia

To stop chasing my dreams would be almost as hard as putting down a book from the Twilight series!

December 7, 2008 at 11:58 am |
  63. Lea

It doesn't matter how far you go as long you reach your dream
    which for them i don't if this was there dream or not

December 7, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  64. Larry

I love the game of basketball and so i would chase my dream forever to become just like the best basketball players And i wanna be in the NBA so for me to stop chasing my dream is impossible

December 7, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  65. Shelby

I would chase that dream for anything. traviling the world for learning how to pitch would be amazing!!!!!

December 7, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  66. devon

we watch cnnstudentnews in our science and social studies every day!!!

December 7, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  67. hannah

I would go very far to chase my dream!

December 7, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  68. zach

I would go very far, depending on how far far is.

December 7, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  69. Mandi

As long as it would take, or howevert much gas or airline fees, I'd chase my dream as far as it would be willing to go!

December 8, 2008 at 9:19 am |
  70. Alicia

If I had the chance to chase my dream I would go as far as I could go to chase it. I would go so far because the dream I have has to do with something that I am very passionate.

December 8, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  71. Megan Marie

I love to swim and if I had an opportunity given to me that was half way around the world I would do it. Even if I found a new hidden talent and was asked to perform in a different country I would do so, I would go the distance to achieve my dreams.

December 8, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  72. *TRENIQUE*

I thiNk that its great that anyone can get lucky like that because the kids are helping there families by making money and they just gOt lucky its a wonderful thing.

December 8, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  73. Henry

I would try as hard as I could if it was for something I could spend the rest of my life doing, especially if it was playing major league baseball. If my goal was something worth trying for, then I would work at it for the rest of my life.

December 8, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  74. Colin A.K. Fluffygangsta

i would rather go to school because i don't like football and i don't know how to play and helping people would be nice so i would choose school

December 8, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  75. john

i agree with this blog

December 8, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  76. Cassie

For me, it would really depend on the dream. If it was something that would really help my family or others or that was a huge honor, I think I would follow it.

December 8, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  77. Charnae

Dude i would try as hard as i could just for my dreams to come true. To spend the rest of my life on something i love would be AWESOME!!! My goal is definitely something im hopeing i will achieve.

December 8, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  78. Tony

I would love to go to play baseball but since my throwing arm isn't so good I wouldn't probably go.

December 8, 2008 at 7:29 pm |

I would go really far to make my dream. I would strive myself to do it till it is done.

December 8, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  80. Abbey

dont be discouraged about something and follow your dream. You know what they say if at first you dont suceed redifine sucess.

December 9, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  81. Mason

My pursuit of happiness is limited to what I can do with the talent that I have.

December 9, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  82. caleb

I thought this was totally cool I think next season the Pirates are going to rock!!!

December 10, 2008 at 8:28 am |
  83. will

I would go as far as I had to and hello Ms,Krikorian!

December 10, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  84. Rebecca

I would do anything to reach the goal of my dream.I really want to ba a doctor so if I strive at what I wat then I can achieve my goal. :.)

December 10, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  85. Darian

I can do anything I want to if I put my mind to it I am limited in posibilities . Im unique in many ways . And popular in my own ways .

December 10, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  86. Casey

Id do whatever it takes to reach my goal, whether its traveling half way around the world or not....anything is possible if you put there effort needed into it.

December 11, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  87. Brittney

Some dreams come true if you have the oppertunity go for it

December 11, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  88. Ila

I would go far for my dream. i want it more than anything .

December 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  89. Kaylee

That is awsome!!! I would do whatever it takes to get a chance like they did. Its a once in a lifetime opprotunity!! They are so lucky!!!

December 18, 2008 at 10:48 am |

I would never stop. A realistic dream is the only dream worth chasing.

December 19, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  91. kailey

I would go very far on a dream i really believe in. if i believe my dream will carry on and become a success then i will go as far as i need to with chasing that dream. if i dont think it would work out very well then i would only chase it IN my dreams!

December 20, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  92. emily

i would go really far but if it didnt move fast enough id stop and watch tv

December 24, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  93. Evan

I don't know how far exactly I would follow my dream. Although I know for sure that I would have to know how much time and money it would take to fufill my dream. Then from there I would determine if the outcome or outcomes of my dream were worth the money and time I would have to give up to do so.

January 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  94. jonathan

If I had the things to succed and the tools to get me there. I would go as forever until it was achevied of course it won't happen any time soon

February 10, 2009 at 2:04 pm |