November 19th, 2008

Nebraska's Safe Haven Law

As I write this, Nebraska's lawmakers are working to change their state's controversial safe haven law.  They're going to make it so that only infants less than 30 days old can be legally abandoned at state hospitals.  But when we aired the story, there was no age limit - meaning that people as old as 17 could be left at hospitals by their parents.

In many places, this is a crime known as abandonment.  Safe haven laws, in general, let parents who think their children are in danger leave them at hospitals without being charged with the crime.  But unlike other states with safe haven laws, Nebraska didn't initially set an age limit.  So to give you an idea of what has happened:  On Tuesday, a 15-year-old girl was left at a hospital in the central part of the state; last week, a 14-year-old and his 17-year-old sister were abandoned at a hospital in Omaha.

Many of you are around these ages.  We'd like to hear your opinions on this story.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Angelina

With children and thier parents are arguing and this law going around. Its a bad idea. If a prent and thier child is hard to deal with and just drop them off at a hospital. and a few hours later they feel bad, they cant have thier child back.

November 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Christine

This is the most outrageous crime that can be commited.
    I know many people do have complications, but
    come on! Somebody has to take care of those children,
    and it will be better if that someone was a person those children knew well, such as THEIR PARENTS!

November 20, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  3. Taylor

Kids shouldn't be abandoned. If their parents can't afford to take care of them anymore it may be a different story but give the kid to someone else. At least they should have set an age limit for abandoning because it is not fair to drop off a kid who has been with their parent's for at least four or five years because they're breaking the kids heart. The kids probably cry and blame themselves and think it's because they're parents don't want them anymore that they were abandoned.

November 20, 2008 at 6:30 am |
  4. Tiffany

That's not good! I think those kids are so pitiful! 😦

November 20, 2008 at 6:46 am |
  5. melissa

If people don’t have any money to provide for there kids
    then by all means drop them of because these kids need
    food and shelter. But if the parents drop them off just
    because they are annoying, that should
    not be a reason to drop them off.

November 20, 2008 at 7:05 am |
  6. Joyce

I feel sad for the kids that were abandoned.
    Mabey their parents had a really hard time taking care of them.
    Babies that have a good memory,
    kids that are14,10,12,etc. that can remember the day that they got
    abandoned..

November 20, 2008 at 7:48 am |
  7. Nihar

Are you kidding me? Nebraska's law is a joke. How can that political fficial say that he wouldn't have changed anything about the state's law? That is just cruel. What is those parent's were sick and they're kids just left them at the hospital and ran away? How would the parent's feel. Helpless.

November 20, 2008 at 7:59 am |
  8. Matt

I think parents should not be abandoned.

November 20, 2008 at 8:09 am |
  9. Matt

Boo to abandoning kids.

November 20, 2008 at 8:09 am |
  10. joe

omg what the frig why would want to get rid of your baby just don't have one if you are going to do this 😦 😦

November 20, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  11. kameron

i think that it wrong the parents took there time to make the babby then they should take the time to care for it wrong

November 20, 2008 at 8:11 am |
  12. Natalie

I think that this is a horrible thing that a parent would want to get rid of their child. How would the parent tell the child that they are leaving and never coming back? That would make me feel horrible if my parents did that to me!

November 20, 2008 at 8:11 am |
  13. Tigger

I think that they should just like keep the kid I mean whats the point of having a kid if you're just going to throw him away to someone else.

November 20, 2008 at 8:12 am |
  14. Tori

that is so sad if they could not or they thought they could not take care of the kid they should not have a kid

November 20, 2008 at 8:12 am |
  15. Paige

I can't understand that parents would leave there children and go some where else. I feel really bad for those children and hope that they get a safe home. But for 17 year olds that is really RUDE!

November 20, 2008 at 8:13 am |
  16. Molly

i think thats a good idea because some people need it but at the same time I don't know what to think, but I think that if people can't take care of there kid then they shouldn't of had it, but as I said some people just can't take care of there kid.

November 20, 2008 at 8:13 am |
  17. Alex

I think these lawmakers need to rethink about the law. I mean, parents are just leaving these kids. I think that they should take time to take care of their babies. They made them!! Why should other people look after them.

November 20, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  18. Moira

I think that is HORRIBLE!!! They should make the law more specific if they want only babies to be left! Imagine how the older kids feel! I can't even begin to imagine if my parents left me... painful.

November 20, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  19. Shae

I feel that it is a great idea for there to be a place that children can go if not wanted but people should not just have kid for the heck of it. a life is a valuable thing that only comes every once and awhile and should not be given to someone who is not going to just take advantage of life.

November 20, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  20. Ben

I think that the law should be in affect for kids under 3 years not for any age because they already know their parents and the are attached to them. I also think so because at age 3 they are beginning to learn a lot of things and they are more active.

November 20, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  21. jamal

I THINK IT IS WRONG FOR PARENTS SHOULD THINK HOW THE KIDS WILL FEEL GROWING UP WITHOUT A PARENT. KIDS AROUND THE AGES OF 12-17 ARE JUST IN THE STAGE OF LIFE ME AS AN 12 YEAROLD AM GOING THROUGH THAT STAGE SO I CAN RELATE TO THE CHILDREN.

November 20, 2008 at 8:23 am |
  22. Alexis and Hayley

I don't think they should just drop them off they should of thought about that when they were a baby so a least they would not remember them droping them off i think they should drop that law

November 20, 2008 at 8:48 am |
  23. anthony

i think people should try to help there kids instead of just giving up on them.

November 20, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  24. Kaitlyn

I think that all kids no age limit, that have been abandoned should be excepted into Safe Haven because they have been left out without anywhere to stay or be taken care of and if under the age of 16 they really can't take care of yourself and make a living.

November 20, 2008 at 10:01 am |
  25. Tyler

I think that if people give up there kids that should be there last resort.

November 20, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  26. Brian

I would change the age limit to 18 because that is when you become a miner and you should have id when your 18 so they can find you if kidnapped.

November 20, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  27. justin

I believe that parents should be able leave there kids if they can't afford there kids anymore it will be for there well being. But if te parents want to leave there kids they should definatly think about it

November 20, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  28. Emmett

I feel like they should be able to stay as long as they need. I think that they can do what they want to do and on how long they want to stay.

November 20, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  29. Josh

Its sad how someone can leave their child at the hospital. I mean, some people have to do it but we shouldn't be that desperate yet... Their the one who brought that person into the world, and should try to show them the good things in life. I dont like the safe haven law but its better than not having a child at all...

November 20, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  30. Devin

I don't think that it is right to abanded your child and any way. I think the parents should think back and think about how they would of felt if there parents abanded them.

November 20, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  31. Alexander

If my parents ever gave me up, I would be pretty mad. Why would a parent drop off a kid after taking care of them for so long. I think that law is kind of dumb. Would you rather have kids out on the street, or in a caring facility.

November 20, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  32. Brittany

I don't like the idea of even having these places. But if you are going to open them I think that less than 30 days old is a good age. If you have your kid for 15, why would you even want to abandon them?

November 20, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  33. Brady

I think that Nebraska souldnʻt even think of making that bill a law. People are just dumping there kids off and not coming back. I canʻt believe parents would drop there kids off and leave them, some of the kids are around the age of ten. How would those parents have that cold of a heart I think those parents should be thrown in prison for something like that.

November 20, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  34. dylan

that is so imichire i think that if you bring a kid into this world that you should be man or woman enough to take cair of you kid's it tic's me off that perent's think that it would be the right thing to do with there kid's get you but out there and get a job,suppert your kid's and be a perient and to what is right don't drop them off at the nereest hosptail be a perient beacue that what we need a perient we don't need friend's shure it's nice to have friend's but we don't need them and an other thing i think that the perient's should get fiend for what they did a fine of $1000.00 and 3 year's in county jail i shire that that will cut back on how many people drop off there kid

November 20, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  35. Mr. Behrens 2nd Hour Gov't

We feel that the Nebraska State Legislature is making a mistake by so drastically changing the "safe haven" law. Our class feels that changing the law from 18 years to 30 days defeats the original intent of the law. As students at Omaha (Nebraska) Central High School we have seen and heard much of the the publicity this law has created for our state. Our lawmakers should keep children of all ages in mind as they draft the new law. Just droppin' off some knowledge from the "safe haven" state itself. Please don't abandon our blog.

Mr. Behrens 2nd Hour American Government Class

November 20, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  36. br00ke

I think that you should only be able to drop off your child if you are not emotionally attached and they really do need help. You shouldn't be able to trow them on the curb just because you got in one little fight. To me that's considered abandonment.

November 20, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  37. nicholas

Wow........thats.....Bad.......

November 20, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  38. Gloria

There's two sides to every story. You have to look at boith sides-the parents who drop of the kids and the Law makers and social workers.

November 20, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  39. Nadia

I think parents should think twice before they leave their children becasue they might have second thoughts and want to see their children grow up.

November 20, 2008 at 10:38 am |
  40. Clarissa

Parents should not have this choice. The parents made the decision to have the childrne and they should take care of them.

November 20, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  41. Karyna

They shouldn't drop them off. I bet every parent got on their parents nerves and they didn't drop them off!

November 20, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  42. Amarachi

Maybe it's the right thing to do. Maybe there are drug addiction problems at the house. Perhaps they need some help. They might regret it if they can't see their kids again.

November 20, 2008 at 10:42 am |
  43. Olivia

I think that this law is a good idea. Just not so much with the loophole. Once it is closed I think that it will be okay. I also think that it is a litlle ridiculous to leave your teenagers at a hospital just because you won't get charged with abandonment.

November 20, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  44. Alayna

I don't get why parents are leaving the children in the first place. You shouldn't just abandon a kid, put it up for adoption. Making the law in the first place was a bad idea even if it was only meant to be for babies. Now that the law is closing down, even more kids will be just left standing in the hospitals. They shouldn't of even made the law in the first place.

November 20, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  45. Wyatt

I think that this is a horrible that the parent's are just taking their kids some place and leaving them there. I mean that would be like really weird if you were talking your kids their because they would keep asking you and you couldn't tell them. But that is also the parents decision if they don't think that they can handle taking care of their kids then they just drop them off but I still think that it is horrible.

November 20, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  46. Dana

I think that the law should not be changed. Some parents are desperate. They don't know what to do. Sometimes they know that another home would be better than anything they can give their child.

November 20, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  47. Katey

I think they should let kids above 30 days stay there. If the parents don't want them when they're over 30 days, they're going to be abandoned and probably going to have to fend for themselves. That's going to be rough, unless they were raised to beat up stuff for special reasons!

November 20, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  48. Sydney

I think that the 30 day old infants being abandoned is okay because I understand if parents aren't able to support the infant. But, I think that leaving a child that is older than 5 should not just be left there. It is very sad when children are abandoned but if a infant is abandoned there is a more likely chance that the infant will find someone who wants them. But If it were a child over 5 I think it would be harder to find a home for them.

November 20, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  49. summer

i think it is sad. But what are we suppose to do. The parents are not in the right state of mind,obviously they just put them in an unknown enviorment to god knows who. We can't tell the parents "straighten your act and take care of your children!" thats just not our right to do that.If i has my way i would let them all live with me.I believe that we are all alike and are the same. ABut i cant do this. I think it is the right thing to have the hospital,not to dump you kid off . If we didnt have the hospital where would they go? I don't know the answer to that question either.But thanks for the hospitals or there would be more dead kids.

November 20, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  50. Jacob

Why would you leave a kid at a hospital that they don't even know what it is? I think that the parents should at least try to control the kids, not send them off to a hospital. You would basically be saying that they are not worth being your house so they have to leave. But if the kid is like beating you or someone else or causing other physical harm, at least try to get some help. Maybe they should keep the safe haven law, but they would need to revise it.

November 20, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  51. Katie

I don't like the idea of parents abandoning kids that old because the kids think their parents don't love them anymore. Most of the kids have lived with their parents their whole live and to just be abandoned would be awful. I think it's a good idea to have a law that says only infants can be dropped off.

November 20, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  52. Alexa

Definetly not! I don't think it should be legal for parents to leave their children at hospitals! That is cruel and very mean and hurtful to the children that are left there. It should be illegal for the parents to be able to leave or abandon children or teens or any kid for that matter, in hospitals. I really don't get why they don't ban it from happening! If I was a kid, and I was left at a hospital I think I would be very angry and sad and confused at the same time, because I would be confused on why they left me there, but I would be angry and sad too! They should make the Safe Haven law illegal!

November 20, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  53. Jasmine

Why would you but an age limit on a law like this? There are children in need, and you are gonna what, ship them off to an orphanage. Now in no way am I instilling that it is ok to even think about abandoning your child, it's morally incorrect, but to only allow infants to be allowed to get abandoned is ridicules. If you're going to have a safe haven it should be open to children of all ages.

November 20, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  54. Veronica

I feel that it's very wrong to abandoned your child. Especially if they've already gotten to know you! There is only one reason you should ever leave your child somewhere and that's if you can't provide for them. If that's the case you should find a good home for them not a hospital.

November 20, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  55. Kyler

I think that the safe haven law was a bad idea. The kids need there parents. It is horrible that parents come from all over the country to abandon their kids.

November 20, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  56. Kelsey

Ya, I think that the law needs to be changed very soon.I don't think it is right for parents to be able to just drop off their kids no matter what age they are and leave them at a hospital because they don't want them anymore. It is reasonable if the child is very young, such as a 30 day old baby because they won't even remember and won't feel abandoned.

November 20, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  57. Allison

I think that the Nebraska Safe Haven incident is outrageous! That is just not right. These parents shouldn't be having children if they are just going to drop them off at a safe haven for other people to take care of. They should have way more responsibility than that. If I were to even have a child with mental illness, I would not think any less of them but treat them like I would treat any other child of mine. The law should definitely be passed and shame on those parents who feel otherwise. If you have a child, you need to take care of that child, especially after caring for them after 15 years. Why would you want to put your 15 or 17 year-old child in a safe haven when they can live on their own in a few years anyway?

November 20, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  58. Hannah

I think that it is sad that they would just leave there kid at the hospital. The kid probably never got to see what it's mom looked like when it was ittle. Then they leave it to the hospital to take care of the kid. They also have to cut out some of there time to find a new family for them. I would never do that to my kid or any kid. That is straight up mean. If I could save at least one or two of those kids I would and I would take special care of them unlike the way the real parent did. If someone sent me there I would search through everything to see if I could at least find my real mom. If the parent knows that they wouldn't be able to take care of a kid then why would they even bother having one, that is truely mean. Even if the paent still has the baby they should make them keepit becuase it is there fault that they had the baby and that they couldn't afford it so they should be stuck with it for the rest of there lives. The kids that are at the hospitals are more than likely thinking that the people that work at the hosptals are the kids parent and they just brought them to work with them or they are just hurt and they have to stay in the hospital for a little while until they actually spend time to actually get a parent to the hospital.

November 20, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  59. Martha

I think this is ridiculous. People need to start fixing this problem now. Its a bad idea. I don't understand how abandoning your child is going to make life better. Maybe for the parents, but not for the child. A kid needs their parents in their life. once the child is abandoned, their just going to whined up in a orphanage. Even the parent can't support the child it's still their responsibility. Why have the kid if they can't support them?

November 20, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  60. Catherine

I think that people in desperate need to help their children. For example when someone is going bankrupt they can't really afford food for their family's and they want to let them have a better life in the future.

November 20, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  61. Kailie

In my personal opinion, if you feel like you are overworked and underpaid when it comes to taking care of your kids... That’s a little thing called BEING A PARENT!!!

I think its ridiculous that parents think that just because they have a bad day with the kids, that gives them the right to abandon their children... If you didn't want kids you should take the steps to prevent pregnancy... And if you want them, then you have to expect this kind of thing and work through it!

November 20, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  62. Mckenzie

I think that making the south Haven law is a so dumb because a lot of people try hard to make it so thier kid can live a normal life but things stand in their way. Plus what if your kid is in danger and you have nothing to do or your kids beat you. Whjat would you do. I hope not let them keep beating you. The South Haven law is not a good choice to pass. They are putting some parents in danger. I would never do it but they need to think of the parents and what is best for them. Some parents are the best parents but cannot get their kid on the right track. They should have the options.

November 20, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  63. HCCA 7th Grade /English

Addy says: With the economy the way it is, I think it would be better if parents leave children at safe havens because it would be harder for them to support.

Dan says: Some parents don't care but others really love their kids, but they just can't take care of them.

Miranda says: Some parents are too lazy to take care of their kids, some are inapt to take care of their kids due to mental retardation. But as far for parents that are suffering from the economy then they should look to family members or friends and take them back when their situation is better.

Kristin says: I think that it is a good idea if the situation is bad, but if the parent can take care of them, but then they should just take care of the child.

Ben says: My personal opinion is that this law is bad because teens and other parent figures are children themselves and the child would be better off at a safe haven, but they will just abuse the system so they just need to stop having babies.

Shelbi says: I think that people should only be able to leave their children if they inform authorities and not just drop them off. There should be an application or registration form to fill out.

Anthony says: I think it's not a good law because if you choose, then you should bear the consequences.

Isaiah says: I say that if the parents do not have enough money for the care of the child they should rely on a haven for help just long enough for the parents to get back on their feet.

November 20, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  64. ~Sarah~

I think this is not fair for the children. They are not the ones to be punished, they should not be abandoned. Even if they are just infants they still were born and should not be abandon in hospitals not even ones with the safe haven laws. If i was abandon i would feel like i was not good enough and like i could not do anything right or good. Do the people who do this think how the kids will feel or do they only think about themselves. They can do other things then just abandoning them. They could ask someone for help, give them up for adoption, or something else that would be better. So i think it is a really horrible thing for a parent to do.

November 20, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  65. amber

Personally if I had a kid I wouldn't abandon them in a hospital or anywhere especially if they have been in my life. But if other parents would think it is the best thing for their kid(s) then it is their choice. I think taking your kid to a hospital is better than like abandoning it on the streets or if it's a baby putting it in the dumpster. I have heard some people do that even teens parents.

November 20, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  66. Devin

I think those parents were being mean. If you don't want a baby, don't make one! Also, in the first place, they should have been more specific.

November 20, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  67. Bubbles

I do not think that this is right. it is to hard to go through.

November 20, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  68. Eliza

I think it is mean of a parent to drop of there kid, and leave them at that place. I know some parents get mad at there kids, but that is no reason to abandon them. I do not think this is a good law. 😦 😦 😦

November 20, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  69. Maya and Allison

We think it's sad that parents are leaving their teenagers at hospitals because of mental illness or whatever. We think that the parents should deal with their kids on their own. 🙂

November 20, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  70. hi

November 20, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  71. Red Bank Charter School

People should be respectful to their children. I don't think its a good idea because how are children going to live? I think its dumb and your chicken if you do that. I don't think it gives the kids a good chance to have a regular childhood. I think its being irresponsible.

November 20, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  72. April

I like the fact that they changed the law to only eccepting baby's being dropped off. But honestly... if parents can't raise their kids it shouldn't matter what age they are, kids still deserve a better change at life. If their parents feel that way they should have the right.

November 20, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  73. Taylor

I don't think that parents should abandon their children because the children might think that it was because of them. It could make the kids go into a world of crime because they thought they were the ones that made their parents go away.

November 20, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  74. Brett

There should not be abandonment no matter how old the children are. Even if it is a baby it is really wrong because children need their parents.

November 20, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  75. Kayla

I think that they shouldn't have this law because it was the persons fault they got pregnant or if they planned it and didn't want it.

November 20, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  76. Katelyn

We are kids and we don't need the stress of no parents on the other hand some kids need help but, the parents should have stayed to help the kids. We don't have a clue wjat is going on and that is mean.

November 20, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  77. Jeremy

I live in NE and I think this bill was stupid in the first place. What if a child had a really impulsive mom or dad and they just dropped them off without thinking about it? I am glad they ammended it.

November 20, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  78. Kaitlyn

I think that it is so sad that parents are abandoning their kids. Even if the have a mental illness or whatever they should try and find someone who can help their kids and not abandon them.

November 20, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  79. Aaron

I think that the parents should not abandon their children.

November 20, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  80. Gimme

Wow that is just sad! I know that the parents probably have a good reason to leave their kids but it is depressing for all kids. Its just sad thats all I have to say about this subject.

November 20, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  81. josh

i think that is mean people made a commitment kids should get loved

November 20, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  82. Allison

I think that no state should have an age limit because if a child that is 9 is no longer wanted, or their parents fight a lot and they don't want them to have to watch, they could just go to the state hospital and give them up. It's not like the parents would really want to give up a child, but sometimes they just have to.

November 20, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  83. fiona

I think it is a horrible thing that parents feel like they can just leave their child behind. I don't think that the safe haven law is good and i dont think that it is bad. I don't think it is a good idea because parent s then think "oh they can just take my child so i don't have to take care of it myself" But I think it is a bad idea because it is better then leaving the child on the streets.

November 20, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  84. Caswell

I think this law is a good one that people are willing to take care of these kids that are being left by their parents that cant take care of them and i think that its really nice to know that the parents that are doing this really do care about were the kid is going and they care about the kids health.

November 20, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  85. clark

i think this was a good idea if you don't understand how people work. I mean, the guy who invented communism thought that was a good idea, which it was if you don't understand how people work. I mean, it is a good but people always try to take advantage of anything they can. they need to revise.

November 20, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  86. Kiera

I think this law is good and bad. It is bad because lots of children are being abandoned because of this place but it is good because it is better than just leaving your kids on the streets.

November 20, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  87. Jo

Those parents disgust me. I was born with parents always telling me not to quit at ANYTHING. And now other parents in Nebraska are giving up like WIMPS! Get a grip. Us kids have rights TOO! So stop dropping off SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLDS! If you've lived with them for 17 years I'm positive you can make ONE MORE!

November 20, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  88. Nia

Its not right parents to do that. It was there choice to have a kid so they have to deal with it!!!!!

November 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  89. Kerby

I really think this is sad for the kids that have mental issues. They can not help it, and if their parents cant take care of them, they should give them to someone who will love them, not a hospital. It was the parents choose, so they should be responsible, and take care of them.

November 20, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  90. Sydney

Seriously... How could you drop your child off to a stranger? I know some children have issues, but if you can't take responsibilty for your own child than you shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place! This law was created for women who thought thier child was in danger, if you loved your child you WOULD keep them away from danger. I don't agree with the law, but if it is legal there should be an age limit because that isn't fair for children to be torn away from thier family. If you don't want to take responsibitly for your children, give them to a family member that really cares about them.

November 20, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  91. Ian

I think this is an easy way out for parents to get rid of not only disabled children but also normal kids. I think they shouldn't have made this because we are not toys, we can't be tossed aside and never to be seen again. This thing really makes me mad!

November 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  92. Mason

I think if people can be mature enough to have a kid they should be mature enough to keep the kid and raise it!

November 20, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  93. Cayden

This new law is completely rediculous. If a person is going to go through with the act of having a child, then they should be charged with the responsibility of keeping the child unless there is an extreme circumstance such as a woman was forced into sex or something of that nature.

November 20, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  94. Anonymous

I think that if a person wants to take part in the act of making a child, that they should be able to take care of them!! I think that its a crazy law! they are adult enough to be physical together they are ond enought to take care of if!!

November 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  95. Brent

Personally i think it's bogus for the nebraska government to make a law like that. To the parents in Nebraska if you took the time to have sex then you should be able to deal with what you brought into the world. Honestly for the parents bringing in a ten year old in to the hosipitals, you need to grow up how can u drop a child off much less how can u just get rid of something you've had for ten years. Parents need to grow up.

November 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  96. Lea

I think that this whole thing is pretty bad. Parents just dropping their kids of to some random place that they probably don't even know about until then. I think kids should be with their parents as long as they can.

November 20, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  97. Brittney

What I think about it is that if you don't want kids then don't have unprotected sex. you are old enough to sleep around you are old enough to take care of a kid. Parents all over the world are stressed out with their kids and sometimes wants to get rid of them but they dont because the fact that they made them and they love them. I can't beleive that someone would just leave there kid somewhere by thereself.

November 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  98. Kacie

Parents are using this as a scape-goat and perhaps these kids are better off without their parents in the long run. Given that they have kept their children this long only because they were obligated or felt as such. But the affects on the children could prove to be of a more lasting affect than the financial and emotional relief that the parents may feel. This could leave deep rooted scars on the kids, making them into emotionally driven people. It isn't right what is being done, but maybe its an out that needs to be left untouched because if the parents aren't competent enough to take care of them, for whatever the reason, maybe they're better off without their parents.

November 20, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  99. Caroline and Caroline

We are outraged by the misuse of this act once intended to bring safety to infants whose lives would be better off there. We think this should only apply to infants in unhealthy or dangerous situations, and not "just because".

November 20, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  100. Brandon

Hi Carl I thought that story about people leaving there kids at hospitals was very cruel and disrespecful. I hope lawmakers of Nebraska address this immediatly or cancel the law

November 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  101. Angela

I don't think that this should be in the law that parents can abandon their kids. If I had a child, I would NEVER abandon it!!!!! It's not right!!!!! 😦

November 20, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  102. Megan

I think that it's wrong to abandon any child at any age, but if the child is in danger at all i guess it'd be okay. But personally, I would have it Illegal to abandon a child at all.

November 20, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  103. Ben

I think that it is wrong for parents to abandon their kids, even if they are mentally disabled. The parents should be more caring, considering it is their own child they are giving away, and that the child will always feel neglected and lonely. This is just a legal way of child neglect.

November 20, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  104. Travis

The nebraska law thing is terrible, i mean parents shouldn't just leave their children becasuse tehy don't want them, if parents didn't want their children, why did tehy have them in teh firs place?

November 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  105. (:Emma:)

you know how teh thing Carl wrote up there says a 15 year old girl? well my cousin is 15, and lives in nebraska, and she has bad attitude, i hope that wasn't her!

November 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  106. eMmA

😡
    😡
    😡
    😡
    😡

November 20, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  107. jack

not cool

November 20, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  108. Ryan

I think that is bad to abondon your child like some parents their parents they should ask for help from the hospital instead of just abandining your kid. Go Carl Azuz you rock I watch cnn every day so i can chear you on.

November 20, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  109. Blythe

What Nebraska legislatures need to do is a major overhaul on the law, making sure that they are very clear on the age that the child must be to be abandoned. They also need to make sure there are no loop holes, so that this problem will not come back.

November 20, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  110. Quiggles

I don't think anybody should be abandoning their kids no matter what the law says

November 20, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  111. Noah

I think that is just outragesous,I mean first why would a parent give up their child and two if they did it is just a bad decision. If they made it so kids 30 days and younger get dropped off isn't good at all even too.

November 20, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  112. Carlos

Oh no it is a bad idea. A lot of kids are being abandoned. Why are those parents giving up? I don't like it when parents don't want their kids! It's not right for them. The law is good and bad. They need to live with their kids for a few years. This is not cool!

November 20, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  113. M.J.

Safe Haven is a good idea, but there are so many flaws. People are coming from all over just to dump their kids. IT'S HORRIBLE. Most of these kids actually knew who their parents were. THese children will most likely be scared and think they did something wrong and most of them didn't do anything

November 20, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  114. Skarlytte

I don't think you should be able to just abandon your kids at the hospital.. think about what emotional damage you'll do to them! You should just put them in therapy or work something out – don't leave them! I'm glad that they are changing it to infants less than a month old; at least then the baby won't remember what happened.

November 20, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  115. Emily

Well i think we all understand that some parents just want to get there kids help. But you never know there could be some parents who just want to get rid of there kids. so i think that the parents should have to give a reason and in order for them to "give up there kid" the state has to approve there reason. Because some kids who act up or there parents think they need help all they need is either a parents love or just a parent and not a friend and that is what i think of this new law

November 20, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  116. Zack

I think this is good and bad. It is good because you can drop off troubled children. For example, this kid in my chess class got thrown out. No discussion. The coach walked up to him and just threw him out. People that stir up a communtiy should leave. On the bad side, the moms are being very immature. Why not just go see a physcoligist and find out the problem. I think it is a good thing that you can drop a person off somewhere VERY far away that will stir the pot very easily.

November 20, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  117. Sven

That is very sad. i think it is wrong for parents to leave their children in the first place. Even if they arent able to take care of them.

November 20, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  118. Linda

That was cool but not to see it come crashing down

November 20, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  119. Katie

I think that the safe haven law in nebraska is a cool thing but i also think that not taking responcibility for what you started is really dumb. i dont think that they should be able to just lack responcibility like that.

November 20, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  120. trevik

i think its dome people abandon there children at all i would never abandon a child.

November 20, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  121. trevik

hi people keep your kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 20, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  122. daniel

its sick,sad, and disturbing....something needs to be done about it

November 20, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  123. Daniel

I'm kind of on both sides of the issue. People shouldn't be coming from other countries to drop their kids off and not come back for them, but if a parent doesn't have enough money or won't be able to care for the baby, I'm all for the law.
    So, long story short, dropping kids off from other countries, 😦 and
    not enough money, :-).

November 20, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  124. Daniel

I'm kind of on both sides of the issue. People from other countries shouldn't be coming to Nebraska to drop off their kids and forget the issue, but if parents don't have enough money to support the kid or can't take care of them, I'm all for it.
    Basically, dropping kids off from other countries, 😦 😦 and not enough money, 🙂 :).

November 20, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  125. Meagan

I think that it is wrong for parents to abandoned their kids. Why would you even think of doing that!

November 20, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  126. Katy

I think it is terrible that parents would abandon their kids like that. It would be terrible to call someone "mom and dad" for years and then be dropped off at a hospital. However, I think for those people who are limmited on options, it is better than doing something illegal.

November 20, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  127. Kaitlyn

i think that the safe haven law is something that helps children and gives them a home in stead of throwing them out on a street or throwing them in trash bags. so instead of killing your child save keep it alive but just not in your home

November 20, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  128. Akiko

If people are leaving their children at hospitals (and it's legal?) then we should all think what this world has come to? If you want to have a child, you must be able to take care of it, and support him/her and all of their needs. Parents who leave their children should be sent to prison, and either have a life sentence or a death penatly, because this is just ridiculous. How are you going to leave your child? Besides this being the parent's fault, it's the law's fault as well. This is just wrong.

November 20, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  129. Camille

I feel its good, but I feel sorry for the kids who have to know,"My parents abandoned me." The reason I think it is good is because they aren't just dropped in a dumpster or anywhere else unhavenly!

November 20, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  130. Bak

I think ethic is prior to the law.
    I was shocked to see the news.
    In our country, I ‘ve rarely read the articles which some infants were thrown by their mothers. But those behavior would never be lawful.
    I can’t possibly understand that these have happened in one of the richest, strongest world countries. I often hope that world society is to nurish a new value system with regard to mankind’s ethic.
    – Let’s put more emphasis on ethic than law.
    – Let’s put the oldest odrer of the Mother Nature prior to the ultra- modern law.

November 20, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  131. Alex

Those parents are EEEEVIL! If I got abandoned, I would just walk home,yell at them, then go to a friends house.

November 20, 2008 at 9:07 pm |
  132. D.C.

My class was talking about this issue. Parents shouldn't drop off their kids after abusing them, or if they don't want a kid. The law allows you to get rid of a kid you don't want without going to jail. I think people should tell whoever runs the "safe haven" at the time why they are dropping off their child, and then get that approved. It's unfair to kids if their parents drop them off if the kid is autistic, has a disease, or has some other disability. ESPECIALLY if the kid is old enough to remember the moment the kid is dropped off........he or she might think he or she did something terrible enogh to make their parent(s) drop them off somewhere.

November 20, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  133. Nathanael

Call me what you will, but I can't help but laugh. I mean, it's wrong, but it's funny.

November 20, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  134. Ali

I think it is so sad for the children for their parents to just leave them at a hospital all alone!!!!!!! I know that its better for them to go to a hospital then to be abandoned at a park or somethin!!! But I think it is sorta good for the kids in a way because obviously the parents cant take care of the child but for the parents when they dont care for the kid who knows what could happen!!!! It is still devastating to hear that so many parents are taking advantage of the law!

November 20, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  135. Ali

POOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get the whole "i cant provide for them " as a reason to drop them off ( Im not saying thats not wrong in my book) But to abandon them because they are a PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just plain............HORRIBLE 😦 😦 😦

November 20, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  136. Sady

This is horrible!!!
    I feel so sorry for that kids.
    If I was abondened, I'd get SUPER mad at my parents.
    I'd run away and live with a relative or friend.
    Those parents aren't real parents...

November 20, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  137. lizzie

That's so sad... it really makes me grateful for the family and friends and education I have. I feel horrible for those poor kids and their families. As for the woman who abandoned her son because of his mental issues, the government really needs to help out with that, and make sure that the child is receiving the special attention they need, so the families aren't seperated. Also, that woman needs to think more about her son and how he must feel instead of her being hurt. Just imagine how sad that poor boy is now, and much more violent he's probably become because of being hurt that he was abondoned by his own mother.

November 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  138. Chelsey

I don't think they should let parents be able to abandon their kids like that. It's inhumane and wrong.

November 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  139. Crystal

I think that the Safe Heaven Law should have limitions. I agree that parents should have the right to give their children if they can't handle them. But they shouldn't wait until they are 10 years old or older. The parents should have age limits. If they keep the child past and limit and realize they can't handle them, help should be in place so that parents don't feel they have to abondon their child at a hospital.

November 21, 2008 at 8:48 am |
  140. Nia

For parents to think they a right to give their children away to Safe Haven or even give them away at all. It was their choice to have a kid, now they have to put up with the consquences!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 at 9:46 am |
  141. Logan

I think its horrible that a parent would just bring their kids to a hospital and leave them there! Its wrong! Wondering how the child would feel like their parents just don't care! The child may feel like no one loves them anymore! Why have a child when you can't keep him? It's wrong and neglectful!

November 21, 2008 at 9:56 am |
  142. LeAndra

The nebraska law thing is terrible, i mean parents shouldn’t just leave their children because they don’t want them, if parents didn’t want their children, why did they have them in the first place.

November 21, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  143. Tyler

I don't think that the safe haven law should be allowed. Why would any parent want to leave their child somewhere anyway?

November 21, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  144. christina

Nebraska’s Safe Haven Law is good if you really need help ,but if you are just doing it for a drop off then you are abusing your rigth to use it.

November 21, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  145. kathleen

I think that the parents that leave there kids in a strange place should be unable to have there kids for a extended amount of years and I feel good that they can be safe in the safe haven and boys town and i feel like the people that have come in to help these kids that have been thrown out of there lives with there parents and will never see there parents again.

November 21, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  146. Krista

That is not a very good idea. I think parents should be able to put there kids in side the hospital as long as they are under there roof. Plus if they where going to make and age they should at least make it older then 30 days old. So my say on this issue would be no a kid should be able to go the hospital.

November 21, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  147. cindy

I don't think this should be a law that parents could abandon their kids at hospitals. If they need help they should get it. But they shouldn't just leave their kids at some hospital.

November 21, 2008 at 10:35 am |
  148. Jacob

Ten year olds cannot be just left somewhere. I would feel very bad if as soon as i could fend for myself my parents just dump me in a hospital wing and take off. It's almost like adults are turning the Safe Haven program into an offense.

November 21, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  149. Bryce

I think that its ridiculous that people can just dump their unwanted kids off. This should only be for infants because they haven't really met their parents yet. There should also be rule that people must give a legit reason for abandoning their baby.

STOP GLOBAL WHINING!!!

November 21, 2008 at 10:37 am |
  150. Michael

I think that leaving kids in hospitals should be illegal, even if they are under 30 months. It's just not right leaving the child at the hospital.

November 21, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  151. Dana

I think that parents shouldnt do that to their kids. Its mean. They wanted the baby in the first place.

November 21, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  152. Ariel

I think parents who have a kid, should keep it. It is not fair to the kid to have the parent say, "Go on in there while I park the car." then the parent speeds off. THAT IS EVIL!

November 21, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  153. Colby

Parents shouldn't even think about abandoning their children! Parents should know better and they're telling us to be nice.I mean they're pretty much throwing us out of their life but it's one thing if your parents have a disease. Some things can be good but also bad.It's unthinkable to abandon your child!

November 22, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  154. (HAMY)

I think the law was a good idea but parents used it as a short cut to give up there kids.I can understand were there coming from but its not right to do that to your family!

November 22, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  155. Brandy

I think it is crazy to leave a kid at a hospital that is not a baby any more especially a 17 year old because they are 1 year from being an abult. now is would be kind of different if a 2 yea old was left at a hospital and not a 17 year old.

November 22, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  156. Katrina

I think it's sad how inocent children,even if the parent says he/she isn't,are just left there.You should only raise a child if you think you can take care of it.

November 23, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  157. Mr. Lew's History 7 class

Comments from my students:

Most people did not imagine that Nebraska would be the national dump for children from California, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, and Iowa. I guess there is a reason why they call it: "Nebraska: the Good Life".

The state was trying to do the right thing by adopting the Safe Haven Law and uncovered a larger issue troubling our society today. At least the state has decided to further investigate the real issue with the older children. The solution may be to fix societies view on family values and responsibility or lack there of.

November 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  158. Taylor

I dont think its right for a child to be dumoed somewhere, but if the child is really out of control and your family cannot function because of this child there should be a more resonable way to safely have yuor child be somewhere where they can work on their behavioral issues. Overall the law should be limited to small babies.

November 24, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  159. Nick

I think that it is sad that you can abandon your child and not have it be against the law. There are a lot of families out there with problems but I don’t think that means its right to give the children away. Also if that parent was getting into an argument with their child and then gave them away but then later felt bad about it, it’s the parents fault but it’s still sad.

November 24, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  160. Shadricka

I do not think that’s a good Idea because what if a child does not have clothes. That would be so sad. The parents that dropped off the kid are so mean because they just do not want to take care of their child. They are so lazy. Now I see why they do not want to take care of them.

November 24, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  161. Kegan

I think that the law should be past to only allow parents to drop their kids if they are less than 30 days old. I don’t think it is right for a parent to be able to just leave their kid at a hospital, but if the kid is only a few days old it’s not as bad.

November 24, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  162. Megan

It's terrible that parents are using this law at such an extreme. Nobody says parenting is easy. So your going to have a fight with your child, you just going to drop them off, say I love you and leave? I don't think so. This law should be in affect for new born babies as it was planned and not for children that parents think they can't handle.

November 24, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  163. kylie

i would be devistated if my parents dropped me of at a hospital because they decided they didnt want me anymore. i cant imagine after all my parents & i have been through that they would even consider just dumping me off at some strange hospital, it makes me sad that all kids dont have the same kind of love from their parents that i do. people should not have children if they arnt ready for the WHOLE COMMITMENT :((((

November 24, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  164. Casey

It was very ignorant of the Nebraska to not set an age limit and parents who dropped their kids off at the hospital. i think that its great that they now have that set age limit.

November 24, 2008 at 12:57 pm |
  165. Jenny

Carl, I think that it is sad that these parents are leaving their children at these hospitals, but i'm sure they have a perfectly good reason for doing so like not having enough money to pay for food or knowing that they would not be treated very well wich might lead to bad things in thier lives later. So yes it is sad that they have no parents but it might be for the best.

November 24, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  166. Christina

Hi Carl!
    (Mrs.Torok's class LOVES the puns. Keep them up.)

Heres my take on the Nebraska Safe-Haven Plan:

I think this is outrageous behavior on the parent's parts! They KNEW what the law meant but they decided to use the loophole and abandon these innocent children of ranging ages. I am appalled by this behavior in selfish parents, and though the economy is down, this does not mean you have the right to dump your posterity on working nurses and doctors who could be saving lives right now but instead, have to take care of the children you have abandoned.

I am infuriated by the parents that dumped their childrena and even more so at those who DROVE FROM DIFFERENT STATES just to rid themselves of beautiful miricales.

The parents responsible should be held in trial at court and unless they give a good reason to doing what they did, they should be given a punishment deamed by the children they abandoned. I would feel horrible if my mother ever wanted to get rid of me.

November 24, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  167. Taylor

parents have no rights to drop off their KIDS!!! if the parents have a menal illness or have something like cancer so their having trouble with money, its a bit different. DONT ABANDON YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:<(

November 25, 2008 at 6:36 am |
  168. britt

I feel that they should have never had that law too many parents are unreliable and feel they can just abandon their kids and it’s horrible. I think the new law with them only being able to leave children up to 30 days old is good because it won’t completely ruin the children’s life they will still have a chance to find a different family or have a good life not knowing their parents abandoned them.

November 25, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  169. kevin

hi carl

November 25, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  170. hope

i think that the safe-havenlaw is stuped i think that prentss should not leave there kids at hospitals it is just not american!!!!! if you get nocked up at 10-16 then that is is stuped and not good.:^((((((((((((

November 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  171. karlz

I think that there should not be an age limit for two main purposes, one is that what are the parents supposed to do if they can't take care of thier own kid(s). Two, what are the poor kids supposed to do?? Kids under 18 are helpless, and I think this law is CrAzY!!

November 25, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  172. LJ

HI

November 26, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  173. Annoymous

Wow this is just really sad; might as well not have kids in the first place

November 27, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  174. Ali

My mom has told me about the Nebraska Safe Haven thing. Every time I do something that she doesn't like, she says, "Hey, I hear the weather in Nebraska is pretty nice this week," or "Your dad and I were thinking of taking a trip to Nebraska, do you want to come?"
    It's kind of funny when she says it, but thinking about how many parents actually left their children that they have loved and raised is really sad. I mean, how would you feel if you went on a road trip and your parents just abandoned you?
    As for the law itself, I don't know what to think. If the parents REALLY CANNOT take care of their children,maybe the whole family needs to get help.

November 29, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  175. C.

I think that we all should know that law allready!?!?! At least i do 😉

December 2, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  176. Ellie

I don't really understand how any parent could just randomly leave there child in the hands of a stranger? But I can understand their reasoning, as a handicapped child they are manageable and you can easily restrain them if need be. But when they get bigger especially males they get harder to maintain and restrain if need be, and they can become physically harmful to you or others. So I do understand why they might feel the need to utter the words safe haven but I wouldn't be able to do it. I'll tell you what I'd do, I would take them to the hospital and ask for the appropriate help but I would still be a part of their lives.

December 2, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  177. :)logan(:

>:(If it were me out there i would just cry my eyes out!! I love my parents and i know they love me! But for a child to feel so loved but then have their mom or dad just drop them off at a hospital and just leave them there is wrong!! If you are having a child even if your not ready for him/her put them up for adoption dont let them love you so much and then make them feel abandoned its wrong! i hope the parents have a VERY good reason why they have done this!

December 3, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  178. kirstin

I THINK THAT ITS HORRIBLE THAT A HUMAN BIENG WOULD JUST ABANDON THEIR BABY. I MEAN IF DID I WOULD TAKE IT TO AND ADOPTION AGENCY AND MAKE SURE THAT LIKE THE BABY IS THEIR SAFELY AND WILL BE ABLE TO CONTACT ME IF IF EVER WANTS TO SEE ME I MEAN COME ON, ANYONE THAT COULD DO IS A HEARTLESS, SELLFISH PERSON AND DOESN'T DSERVE TO HAVE SOME THINGS!!!!

December 3, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  179. Jessika

i do not agree wit the safe haven law... its parents responsibility to take care of the kids. if the were mature enough to get pregnant the are mature enough to take care of there kids..

December 3, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  180. cody

this is better than unalbe or unwilling or unfit parentes doing the job. i'm for it.

December 3, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  181. zach

I think it is a terrible idea. Who is going to teach them how to multiply or cook or play foosball? They are just throwing away the kids past.

December 7, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  182. Chyanne

This is so sad. I mean if they could make it to where the parents have to be qualified to drop the kid off. Cause if it is just some cracked out mom who doesn't want the responsibility of having a baby they shouldnt be able to just drop them off!

December 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm |