November 5th, 2008

The Time For Change Has Come – Now What?

Two years of politics, campaigns, and all the rest. I was ready for this to be over a while back. And tonight was the end of that. At 11p.m. CNN declared Barack Obama the winner.  We, as a nation, made history tonight. America elected a black president. My grandfather, who was a journalist writing about the civil rights movement in the South in the 1950's and 1960's, could probably never have imagined this day, and yet here it is. We have advanced a national conversation on race and relations between black and white far beyond what I thought we could two years ago.  Tomorrow, though is a new beginning.

As our new president declared, "This victory alone is not the change we seek – it is only the chance for us to make that change.  And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were.  It cannot happen without you. So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other."

So the president-elect has challenged you, the young people of America. What is your next step, what are you going to do?

John Martin, Curriculum Writer

Filed under: Behind the scenes • News Coverage
  1. Tiffany

I'm gonna be a better person and make the world a better place!

November 5, 2008 at 6:15 am |
  2. Eliza

Ya Obama!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

November 5, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  3. KASH!NA

GO OBAMA!!!

November 5, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  4. Matt

i like obama

November 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  5. Krysten

I am going to hold on for my life and hope that Obama will be a good president. I will also start studding a lot harder without knowing what future we are going to have

November 5, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  6. Krysten

I hate Obama!!!!!!!:(

November 5, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  7. Kadir

Obama deserves to be president and I am happy that he is! Because it's not just a change for black people and such, it's for a change in everyone in America! That's pretty huge! It was my Mom's birthday yesterday too! She was yelling like crazy!

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  8. ???U.C

TOTALLY AGREE WITH U OBABMA [GO FIGHT WIN! OH HE ALREADY DID!]

November 6, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  9. christina

I think the change can be good, it all dependens on his motives good or bad lets just hope it is for the better.

November 6, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  10. Jacobson

well i think that electing Obama was a great choice for America because he is going to do a lot of good thing for us. I think that some people at my school are over reacting because some one said "America is screwed", someone else " I'm moving to Canada". I think that people have to have respect, even if they are not for Obama!
    Jacobson

November 6, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  11. anna

i think obama will be a remarkable, rationally-thinking president

November 7, 2008 at 8:24 am |
  12. Melissa

OBAMA OH EIGHT!!!! We need to step up and do our job. It's up to us to change the United States. We can't conform to what we have. we need to unite and work together.

November 7, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Liberty

I am not of Obama's race and yet, I have nothing against him. We made history and history is made whether we like it or not. That is just the way it works. I don't believe there is anything wrong with someone's ethnicity but I always run into people that are against me. Obama is our president, my next step? Honor him.

November 8, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  14. Derrick

we will find out in january

November 8, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  15. Yulissa, Maria and Elizabeth

I think the first thing that Obama should do when he becomes president in January is...give amnesty to hard-working undocumented immigrants. He should also give health care to children who need it and help the homeless get back on their feet.

PS–Carl Azuz Rocks!

November 10, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  16. haley

The time changed and I can’t believe it when it gets dark at 6:00 clock it feels like it is bedtime I didn’t like when the time changed. i am glad the election is over with i couldnt take it anymore

November 12, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  17. Don

Well, up to now the white people have had all the previleges and opportunities while practically everybody else has been left struggling. That has got to stop!! Hopefully with the Obama Administration there really will be equal opportunity for ALL Americans.

November 13, 2008 at 6:58 am |
  18. Melissa

If Obama sticks to his current policies I think we will all be taxed to death cause if you haven't notice, he said people who made over 250,000 were going to have taxes raised, well that amount keeps getting lowered and in one meeting they mentioned raising taxes on people making 42,000. Plus if he does raise taxes on all those businesses they are laying off workers to make up for the extra cost and some will even have to close, that causes people to lose jobs and if the businesses are going to have to close then what will that do to the stock market. I don't see how his plan can possibly be good for our economy.

November 14, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  19. jeff

i had a mock vote at my school and i voted for mcain and he won by 1 vote one more for obama and it would have been an even tie.but i think he will do fine

November 14, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  20. brooks

the turnout at my school was mccain/palin; 441 votes, obama/biden ; 41 votes, and i voted for mccain/palin. i just don't think obama's ready for president. only 2 years in political office?! i wonder how many people are getting canadian citizenship after this.

November 16, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  21. megan

Obama Rocks He Diserved To Be President

November 18, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  22. Ariel

McCain and Palin should of won. They had more experience than Obama and Biden. I am still Joe the plumber!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  23. cody

obama is the man and will do our usa and alot of good things

January 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm |