November 5th, 2008

History in the Making

So, CNN's just announced that Sen. Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States. From my office at the CNN Center in Atlanta I can hear people outside cheering and blasting their car horns in recognition of this moment. I've never experienced this kind of reaction to an election, and it makes me realize that I am witnessing history in the making.  How do you think that you'll regard this election in the years to come?

Lisa Porterfield, Curriculum Development Manager

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Meredith

Personally, although this is very significant to history, I do not like the idea of Obama being the President of the United States of America. I think that he is going to mess up all of the plans that our country has been setting up to do good. The thought of him as President makes shivers run down my spine.

November 5, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  2. Emmalee

I think that Obama Will be a great president of the united states even though one of my friends thinks he has no clue what he's doing.

November 5, 2008 at 12:24 am |
  3. Emmalee

either way there is going to be something different
    a woman VP
    or a black P

November 5, 2008 at 12:28 am |
  4. Emmalee

We need a change of color

November 5, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  5. Tonio

Hey Lisa,

there's no question that this election was record breaking and history making in many aspects!

– First afro-American president!
    – longest term of campaign
    – record breaking amount of voters

Some say they haven't seen something like this since JFK.

Best regards

November 5, 2008 at 4:53 am |
  6. Tonio

...and by the way I'm really happy to have witnessed this big step in history. It's not only a step in statistics, now some things really might change!

November 5, 2008 at 4:55 am |
  7. Tiffany

The future generations will learn in their history class the first black people to be president is Obama.

November 5, 2008 at 6:14 am |
  8. Tyler

I think McCain or Obama would make a good president but Obama will make a better president Go Biden

November 5, 2008 at 9:34 am |
  9. Deldar

Obama, I think has a different look on things and hopefully is not into war and knows what he's doing unlike like Bus-...the other Presidents.
    Hopfully Obama will be a good Presidant people will not regret.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  10. Brooks

i knew Obama was going to win. i'm so happy that I'm alive when the first African American president ran for president and won the election.

November 5, 2008 at 9:46 am |
  11. Kyle

i am glad Barack Obama is becoming President because he is for a change and seems to not mess around with the issues. I think many people would like him and in the next up coming four years he will run again either being president or not because he didnt make the change we needed.

November 5, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  12. nick

I’m pretty happy that Obama is going to be president. I think that there will be change but not as much as he is saying there will be, but i think he will still do better then McCain.

November 5, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  13. John

I hope that Obama will do what he says he will do and not be a joke. I was for McCain but now I am for Obama. I think that he will be a good president and make the right choices for America

November 5, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  14. John

I believe i just dont want him to be a joke

November 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  15. will

I’m just realizing how important to history the election is because it shows how far we’ve come to accept the black community as our commander and chief. I’m sure president Obama’s children don’t realize how important there father is now to this country and to history

November 5, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  16. Megan

The first thing I will think of is that I was here to see the most historic election so far. But also even though everyone is saying that the first African American was elected p resident is kind of wrong. Obama is only half African American. His dad was African American and his mom was White. It is a huge deal but I dont know that we can say the first African American president has been elected. We can say that the first half African American president has been elected.

November 5, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  17. Kegan

I am glad that Barack Obama has won, an I think he will be able to lead our country in the right diraction.

November 5, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  18. Emerson

I think its cool being there to witness history; the first black president.
    I feel we have come a long way to be able to have a black president, Im glad i was there to see history and live through it.

November 5, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  19. Ryan

I think that Obama is going to do a fine job as the president. He is going to bring new ideas to the world and it is going to be better.

November 5, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  20. josh

I think it is a big history change that is happening because every president says that America is going to change if you vote for me. And obama came along and said the exact same thing. And I think a lot of people believe him and he does seem like a person that doesn’t want to let other people down he want to make everyone a believer that America is one nation not more than one nation. And I believe obama will change this country this world to a better place.

November 5, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  21. sammie

Honestly I think he may do some good for our country, but not all of what he plans to do will be great. Yeah, he’s the first African American president, but does he really have what it takes to be our president? Well, we’ll soon find out.

November 5, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  22. Casey

I think Obama is going to be a great president and he will help the economy and i think he is better for the environment. Although he doesn’t have all the skills he needs, and he doesn’t have as much training as Mc Cain I think he is a better president.

November 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  23. Ben

i like obama and i don't think we had any plans in mind and i don't think bush did this country any good i think he just messed it up.i also think obbama will make this country better

November 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  24. kameron

I'm glad Obama won i think he will be a good president not the best but better then McCain could of don it will be a change for the U.S. having an African American for president because some people are not willing to accept that people of different races and genders should be able to have a chance at president.

November 5, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  25. -Vanessa

i would remember it as if it was the 4th of July, all the fireworks that i saw were fantastic

November 5, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  26. Kate

I think that Obama will do good but personly i would of like to seen McCain win. Actually I don't care who wins as long as they do a good job

November 5, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  27. Billy

I think the people who have rude opinions about Barack Obama should just keep it to themselves. So what he's black, he's a great president, better than Bush. He just made world history, give it a rest!

November 5, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  28. Billy

I'm really excited that Obama won president. I think Sarah Palin is not fit to be Vice President, she's just not good enough. And people who make racial comments about Obama being black should grow up..!!

November 5, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  29. casey

personally i am not exited either... where i am gas has gone up 10 cents in the last 24 hours... i beleive its because no one know what will happen

November 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  30. Kadir

I think Obama is fit to be president. First off, he's the first black president ever! Second, he had a rough life and never really knew what it meant to be black because his mother was white and his father was black(until his second dad came along). In my personal opinion, people who don't like Obama aren't ready for a black president. (Not trying to be racist or anything.)

November 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Josh

Its really nice how I was on the Earth, and still alive when the U.S. made history. I will remember this, then iʻll pass it on to my kids so they can tell theirs... Then on top of that, its about the president, so thats pretty big. Im glad I was here to see Barack Obama make history...

November 6, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  32. Zsa'amaury

I am so glad Obama won the presidency now we as america can show our diversity and mark history. Now we can experience real change and live the real American Dream. i want to thank voters for voting how they did. NOW LETS START THE RACE TO REAL CHANGE.

November 6, 2008 at 10:46 am |
  33. chase

Obama is THE change weve needed for along time and we finally got it. I stayed all night watching every single moment of this election and the reaction of people that winessed this was amazing!!! This is trually history in the making!

November 6, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  34. Ben

Everyone you know who was alive when a president was shot could tell you the details about that molment for them. The same question could be answered by us about 9/11. The same goes for the first black president.

November 6, 2008 at 8:33 pm |
  35. Mike

What I remember most of this election is all the way back to when it first started. The first time i heard of Barack Obama i said to myself is who is he, then i found out he was going to be the first African American running for president and I didn't believe it. I witnessed all of the obstacles Obama had to go through just to get where he's at now. I winning the Democratic election over Hillary Clinton, then he went on to face John McCain and Sarah Palin. But he didn't do alone because Joe Biden was right along side him as his running mate through all of John McCain's negative ads. The fact he believed in making history and change for not only African Americans but the Americans in general. The day of the elcetion I was watching from the beginning all the way to the victory. I even helped my Aunt Stacey and my grandmother vote that day by taking them to the voting booth. Just seeing Barack Obama has been announced the 44th President of the United States on my television screen is a beautiful thing to see at my age. Ever since witnessing that event made me believe that anything is possible in this country for every American.

November 7, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  36. Derrick

everybody went crazy

November 8, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  37. Krista

I think Obama can help our future, but of course our economy will not like some decisions he makes. Other then that history was made and that is why this election was very important because no matter who was elected history still would of been made. I hope the change in history is worth it.

November 10, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  38. Kelsee

i Can't belive that he won i had know idea that he beat mcain.

November 10, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  39. travis!!!!!

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!

November 11, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  40. KEVIN

I thik that obama is an awesome president and mcain is an old guy

November 14, 2008 at 6:05 pm |