.
October 28th, 2008

Troops without Votes?

I find it hard to think anything more unpatriotic than not counting the votes of U.S. servicemen and women.  In my last post, one viewer said she wonders who American troops want as president.  Whoever that is, there's no question to me that all of their votes should count.

These are people who are thousands of miles from home, missing their families, working through holidays, risking their lives.  It's unthinkable that they shouldn't be able to help choose their next commander-in-chief.

I understand there are obstacles to getting this done, like challenges with the mail and difficulties verifying addresses.  Doesn't matter.  Fix it.

If any votes should count, they should be the ones of U.S. troops.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jovan

I totally agree on what you're saying Carl! It's really not fair if troops dont get to vote! Everyone has a right to vote, and if they don't, how will they know if the president they have is the right one?

October 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  2. Kadir

Carl is right on this one. As he said more troops miss their families and they are fighting for America and not to mention THEIR LIVES! So they don't get a right to vote? That's inhumane if you ask me, it just seems really unfair.

October 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  3. Kadir

Carl is speaking the darn truth! Why aren't they able to vote? First of all like Carl said, they are missing their families and defending America. Not to mention that they are RISKING THEIR LIVES! It just seems really unfair to me.

October 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Jovan

I'm totally on this one with you Carl! How can they not be able to vote? They're fighting for their family, their country, and their democracy! How will they know whoever becomes president is a good president to them?

October 28, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  5. Joanne

They are Americans who has a right to vote. If they can't vote, then their trusting America to choose the right President, who is capable enough, to become their next commander in chief.

October 29, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  6. D@nielle

That is sooooo wronge!!!! I'm in the military, and know tons of parents that are fighting for our country! It is not fair! Plus, people who live overseas will not be able to absentee and have it count. Those are the people suporting the people fighting for our country. You would think that they might set up oversea ballots for people.

My school is haveing a mock election, and my dad is voting absentee near a war zone, I would hate it if my vote and his were worth the same, nothing!

October 29, 2008 at 2:36 am |
  7. Tiffany

Yeah!!! It's not fair if the troops couldn't vote! 😡

October 29, 2008 at 6:14 am |
  8. melissa

It's not like you see troops walking among us, they are at war. There votes count because they could choose if they still want to be at war by voting which president, they are citizens of this country and should be respected.

October 29, 2008 at 6:40 am |
  9. Eliza

I think that troops votes should count. They are still part of our country, and anybody who is registered should be allowed to vote, and make it count.

October 29, 2008 at 7:08 am |
  10. brynley

no fair, everyone should vote

October 29, 2008 at 8:03 am |
  11. Cailean

I Think that soldiers should be able to vote because they are risking thier lives for the USA.

October 29, 2008 at 8:12 am |
  12. Lyssa

I realy think that is realy not cool to have troops not votes.My unkel is ikn the nave and he is in carge of the nave.

October 29, 2008 at 8:12 am |
  13. yani

I think it's bad because the troops are fighting for us and we should let them vote i think.

October 29, 2008 at 8:13 am |
  14. Sean

It's really unfair that the people whom risk their lives for our country don't have a say in who rules our country. You never know. If we got them to vote it could change the whole election.

October 29, 2008 at 8:13 am |
  15. Anna

I think that this is really bad, because it's not fair, they're US citizens to! They have just as much, if not more, a right to vote!

October 29, 2008 at 8:14 am |
  16. kathleen

I think that the troops should be able to vote because the out fitting for our country and I think that they should have time to write to vote for who they want for president.

October 29, 2008 at 8:14 am |
  17. Addie

I think it is horrible that some troops are not able to vote. I think that states should bend the law for troops that are fighting and defending our liberty.

October 29, 2008 at 8:14 am |
  18. Matt

I think that the soldiers vote is a very important vote to count and not counting it is extremely unfair. Especially when there defending our country in war.

October 29, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  19. Beau

I think that this is terrible because all U.S. citizens should be able to vote, even if they are not there to vote, and it's ridiculous because these people are fighting for us, if it weren't for them we would probably be bombed right now, and they are risking their lives for us, and we don't let them vote?

October 29, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  20. Colin

I think that the troops are not getting there votes in is dumb because I mean everyone deserves to vote especially the soldiers. They are risking there lifes and something so small as a vote isn't getting in I don't think thats fair but half the problem is the law so what can they do.

October 29, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  21. annie

I think that not counting their votes is stupid we are all Americans no matter where we are and the soldiers are fighting for our honor! I think their votes are the most important because will have important views on how the president should handle the war.

October 29, 2008 at 8:17 am |
  22. Zack

I personally feel that the troops should get a fair vote more than anyone else because they are defending our candidates them selves. Why should they, of all people, not get a proper vote?

October 29, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  23. Madeline

I personely think that it is ridiculous that some votes that are cast by the American troops are not counted. Their mail should get here faster than it does.These men and women are sacrificeing their lives, their family, and their time. Their votes should and need to be counted. So FIX IT that is what needs to happen.

October 29, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  24. Corbin

I agree if any votes were to be counted they should be the troops'! I understand that there is a problem getting the ballots here but then they should have them vote a couple weeks early! The US needs to fix this problem A.S.A.P.!!!!!!

October 29, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  25. Edward

I don't think there is a problem if they really want to solve it. It's just so unfair.

October 29, 2008 at 9:50 am |
  26. ben

I am living overseaswith my parents and my mom says that she registered in VA and it did not ask for a witness address. from wien austria

October 29, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  27. Sarah

This is a major crisis, it's very unfair that the votes of the US troops are not being counted. It's unbelievable that they're not counting the one of the people who are contributing the most to our country. Even though, there might be some complications, I think they should get the troop's votes in someway.

October 29, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  28. Jake

I think that the troops have the best perspective on the war and on other issues so if anyone's vote should count more then it should be the troops. Not counting the votes is ridiculas!

October 29, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  29. kyle

i think they should do their best to get the absentee votes to iraq but not at the risks of other peaoples lives.Why would kill someone for a vote,SERIOUSLY!just do your best to get the letters to the millitarry please.OH YEAH military rules!

October 29, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  30. Mr. Lee's 5th Period SS Class

We think that troops should have the right to vote because they are the bravest American citizens. They have given this right through their protection and service!!! One of our sisters is in Iraq and I know that she would be upset if her vote did not count!!! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! Thank you! Carl. Please put this on CNN Student News!

October 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  31. alex

i totally agree. I think that the servicemen should especially be able to vote.

October 29, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  32. kristen

I think the troops votes should count. Because there puting there lifes on line the for our country.

October 29, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  33. Eric

These brave men and women put their lives on the line every single day. They are away from their families, friends, and the luxuries we are used to. It is sad that their votes are not counted, after all they do for us. With all the technology these days, it seems that nothing should stop the troops from getting a genuine vote.

October 29, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  34. Kelly

I think we should count the U.S. troops because they work hard for us supporting the United States. They miss their families because they are thousands miles away. They work over holidays. I say we should count our troops votes.

October 29, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  35. kristen

I agree with Carl Azuz on (if any votes count, they should be the ones of U.S troops.

October 29, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  36. Dani

I agree with Carl that if any votes should count it should be those of our U.S. servisemen and women.

October 29, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  37. Dani

We are suppossed to honor our U.S. troops not just throw out there ballots. They are the ones that our putting there lifes on the line for our freedom. It woulden’t be fare for them to be the ones that can’t vote. It’s not there fault we got in a war with Iraq.

October 29, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  38. Betsy

I think we should count the troop's votes. Their doing the hard work.
    p.s. Do you write your own puns?

October 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  39. Patrick

thats wrong!!!! The troops are the ones who's vote counts the most!! the president controls their future, why should their vote not count when that they could come home, or stay.

October 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  40. terry

all the people in war need to beable to vote cas my uncal is in war right now and i am a marine child so you all should say hora to all the solders that are out in war and let them vote go u.s.a

October 29, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  41. Mr. Lee's 6th Period SS Class

Soldiers in Iraq are the ones most directly affected by the President so they definately should have a choice in who that person is. Since the candidates have different opinions the soldier's votes will help us understand if we should stay or get out of Iraq. FIX IT!!! Thank you!

P.S. Don't put 5th period on T.V. without us!!!

October 29, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  42. Techclass

All the votes cast by soldiers fighting for our country should be counted. It is embarrassing that our country hasn't solved this problem after the complications of the last election. Why can't we use our technology to allow them to vote?

October 29, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  43. Brett

I think that they should be able to vote nad have it be counted. They are people of the U.S. to and there votes should get counted just like all of ours are. They have rights to.

October 29, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  44. Kayla

I think that they should count all votes because the troops in Iraq are working to help our country and i beleive they think the most of our country. Its not right when the soldiers cant pick who they are fighting for.

October 29, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  45. Brittiny

I think that troops' votes should count because they are working hard for us in a different country. Also they are a real citizen which means that they have the right to vote.

October 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  46. Morgan

I think that the troops should have a big say in what happens, because out of all people they should know the best for our country with the war. they've been over there for so long, they should know weather to keep going on with it, or to go back to our country.

October 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  47. Courtney

I think that the troop's votes should be counted like everyone else's votes. They are U.S citizens just as much as we are. They should have a say in who they would like for president just like any citizen. They are the people that are fighting to keep our rights. That includes the presidents rights as well.

October 29, 2008 at 1:12 pm |

I think that it is also un-fair that they don't get to vote. Exspecially when it could decide if they stay in the middle east or if they get out.

October 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  49. Marshall

I think that all of the troops should get their votes in. The troops votes could change the whole election.

October 29, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  50. parker

I think that's so dumb that the people that are protecting our country aren't getting their votes counted just because of the mailing system and that law.

October 29, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

I think that it's very unfair that the troops votes don't count. They are the one's who are serving our country, their votes should count for the President of our country.

October 29, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  52. Kate

I think that it is terrible that the people who are risking there lives for our country don't get any input on who runs there country.

October 29, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  53. hunter

I think that not letting the troops vote is not right at all. I mean if it weren't for them we might not be able to vote.

October 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  54. Matt

I do not think it is fair that the troops do not get to put a vote in especially since that they are risking there lives for a pointless reason.

October 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

It is really weird that troops don't get to vote. NOT FAIR . I know how mad i would be if my vote didnt count at all but when I was fighting for the country I would be furious.

October 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  56. f

i think that its awful that we expect the soldiers to die to protect our country, yet, they can't vote for someone that has an impact on our country

October 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  57. Nathan

This is an outrage. Our troops are serving with thier lives, and we can't even count their votes for the next president. These people know better than we what the real world is like, and what it takes for a real president to run this country. This is America, and for goodness sakes, we need to find a way to make their voices heard. For in this great country, everyone's voice deserve's to be heard.

October 29, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  58. Jordan

I think that troops should have every write to vote

October 29, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  59. Jordan

I think that troop's votes should count

October 29, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  60. KaylA

all votes should count. Can't everyone but kids votes.

October 29, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  61. Matthew

i think that the troops should count. They are of in foreign countries fighting for there lives and they aren't aloud to vote that is just not right. Think of what you would feel.

October 29, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  62. Heater

It isn't just some obstacles. Virginia is making a rule and no place to be able to comply with this rule. To me this is tantamount to sabotaging the voting process – especially for our troops over seas. This isn't just their president – this is their boss.

October 29, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  63. Rachel

I think that the army's vote should count. they should get a say in who their commander-and -chief is going to be. It is just not right.

October 29, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  64. Derrick

everybody should be aloud to vote some how because they have the better veiw of of the war and what should happen they are america citizens and are part of AMERICA
    so if they count them every vote should count

October 29, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  65. Stesha

I am glad that someone outside of the military thinks that our absentee ballots should be counted. I am a US Marine stationed in California. We are incouraged to vote, but most of my buddies think it is pointless. We defend civilians rights to vote and of freedom of speach . We serve our Commander-in-Chief but who we want to serve doesn't matter. It is even more frustrating as a Marine because the Commander-in-Chief can send Marines into action for a short period of time without permission from Congress. It doesn't seem fair.

October 29, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  66. Rachel

I think they should get to vote because there dendig are country. What respect would we give them if we don't give them a say in who will run our democracy. They deseve to have a say in this election because your kind of saying there not americans. Congress needs to do something about it.

October 29, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  67. Nihar

U.S.troops our our foundation. Not letting the vote is like now giving them credit for what they are doing.

October 29, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  68. Kirstie

For all that these men and women have done for us it is NOT justice for us to could some votes if not any. They should get the full right since they are protecting our lives and land, plus for the fact that they are American's too. I fully support that they should get the right and remember that because I can vote next. So, if you mess with the teens now we will get you back in the government elections for stuff that we want done. That should be appart of the CHANGE that everyone is talking about for the elections and I'll remember that. Support the TROUPS!!

October 29, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  69. Kelsey

i do not get why the troops should not be able to vote. i meant they are an american citizen and they do have a say in their government. just because they are not in a certain area to vote they should still have a say.

October 29, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  70. Emily

I think that is so unfair, because every vote should count. If they aren't counting everyone's vote, than that might change how the election is supposed to turn out.

October 29, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  71. D@nielle

They do need to fix it! That is not very demacratic at all because everyone who votes absentee live overseas and is protecting, and making their lives less comferble for the beifit of all the people in the country. To think you actually have a voice but you don't is so wrong! 😡

October 29, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  72. riley

I think are troops vote matter the most. the candidates always talk about the war i think the best people that know it are in it i agree with carl azuz on this matter. I know its hard but they need to fix it

October 29, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  73. jj

That isn't really right. that is a stupid rule. they should really change that rule everywhere because the people/soldiers that are overseas right now aRE ricking their lives.

October 29, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  74. jj

Good job Carl.

October 29, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  75. jj

the 3 comments and this are the same comments. anyways, this rule really isn't fair

October 29, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  76. ds

I so think that the troops vote should count becuse HELLO! they are fighting for us!

October 29, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  77. Jessica

I Think the votes should count because they are still american and they are over the ge 18 . There ballots shouldn't be thrown out!!! They All have a right to vote!!!!

October 29, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  78. Andrea

I think the troops cast some of the most important votes in the country. These are the people fighting for your liberty and your freedom. They know better than most of us what's right and what's wrong. Casting these ballots aside is unjust. Imagine how you would feel if your vote didn't count. Would you be okay with that? I wouldn't. Maybe my vote would've changed the outcome of the election; maybe not. But it should be put forth nevertheless. The troops are definitely part of "We the People". Give them their fair share!

October 29, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  79. Christian

I think that there is not much of a point of not letting the soldiers cast their ballot, because they are in a way, the ones who run our country. They go to war and risk their own lives for us, but they cant choose who can send them there?

October 29, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  80. Rebecca

I can't believe they would not count their votes! They have as much of a reason to vote as us...even more of a reason! If we don't care about what happens in our troops minds or their decisions, then we cannot say we appreciate them.

*Go Tigers*

October 29, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  81. mackenzie

i think tthatall votes should count, because if it wasn't for our troops wewouldn't be here. And it is also very patritic, and we should always hink about it next timewe all vote!!!!!!!

October 29, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  82. Heidi

This is outrageous! We have people who were born and raised in America, and are risking their lives for us, and they don't even get a voice on our next president? I don't get it, why don't the troops votes count?

October 29, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  83. Chevy

I dont see why you wouldn't count votes of soldiers, after all they are the ones fighting for our country and that includes the president of the United states. Not counting the votes of soldiers is plain unpatriotic.

October 29, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  84. Kaylin

I think that it is completely unfair for American troops to cast their vote, but have it make absolutley no difference. While we lay around at the comforts of home, they fight overseas so that we have that right. Their votes should be some of the most valued in my opinion.

October 29, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  85. Baqir

Obama is awesome because i voted for him in the school election

October 29, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  86. Jennifer

I think that ANY American that wishes to vote should be allowed to. Honestly, if ANYONE should be able to,it should be the women and men that are risking their lives to save all of us. They have as much of a choice as any of us; think about it, if a president wins that wants the troops to come home, that would be a HUGE impact on them... and maybe they DON'T want to come back home. Anywho, American Troops should have their votes count.

October 29, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  87. Sarah Anne

Maybe some soldiers shouldn't vote because they could have trauma from war and won't be able to make a clear desicion. Others may base thier choice on getting out of the war or staying in it. They should consider each candidates side on an issue and base their choice on that.
    But I agree that every soldier should get the right to vote (no matter how much trauma they have or how ignorant they are to the candidates opinions to issues).

October 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  88. Katie

i agree. one of the topics is what should be done about the war, so shouldn't we know what the troops input on the war is by counting their votes?

October 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  89. Mary

I found this to be a big disappointment and that's saying it in the nicest way possible. Those troops are out there risking there lives for our country on a day to day basis and the people at home don't even give them the chance to vote. That is the least us "homies" could do for them.

October 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  90. Jon

I think that troops should be able to vote beasuse they are U.S citzens too.

October 30, 2008 at 8:11 am |
  91. Kiera

I think that is really unfair that the troops vote sometimes don't count. I actually think that their votes count the most because they know better than everyone else what kind of president we need, who can communicate better with other countries and won't create wars when they aren't needed.

October 30, 2008 at 8:16 am |
  92. Aaron

I think it is unfair that troop's votes sometimes don't count because they are representing our country and deserve their votes to count.

October 30, 2008 at 8:17 am |
  93. Oscar

I think the Troops should be able to vote They are Fighting for our Contury we should let them vote its just not fair.

October 30, 2008 at 8:17 am |
  94. josh

i think that is wrong they are risking their life for us and their appreciation is they can't vote it is UN-AMERICAN. I feel really bad for them

October 30, 2008 at 8:17 am |
  95. Lea

I really don't like this law because the troops risk their life fighter for us and then they come back to vote. And their votes don't even count. I hope this law doesn't continue.

October 30, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  96. fiona

I think this is sooo horrible! These people are serving our country, and they don't even get to vote for the next president? CRaaaaaaazy!

October 30, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  97. Brittany

It is horrible how the troops aren't able to vote. They are the ones risking their life's and now they can't vote. And they are U.S. Citizens, they have the equal rights to vote too. Who knows, they could make a big difference in the election.

October 30, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  98. Jo

I think it is REALLY unfair because, those troops in Iraq are Americans and have the right to vote as any other American, and those troops are being the most helpful Americans from are country for being in a war and that far away from home, for so long, and personally I think those troops are the people in America who has the right to vote the most.

October 30, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  99. clark

I think it is stupid that troops who are defending us don't get a vote at who the president is

October 30, 2008 at 8:20 am |
  100. Connor

I think that the troops should vote because that would be a huge impact on the voting.

October 30, 2008 at 8:20 am |
  101. Kaitlyn

I think that the troops in Iraq should be able to vote on who they want for president. And if it is that they aren't getting the ballets early enough, then our county should make mor of an effort

October 30, 2008 at 8:21 am |
  102. Peyton

I think that troops note being able to vote is TOTALLY not fair!!!! If prisoners can vote then the troops definitely should get to. It's not fair to people fighting to protect our country that those corrupting the nation get to and they don't. I think that whoever made the decision to not let the troops vote is crazy.

October 30, 2008 at 8:42 am |
  103. Madeline

This problem needs to be fixed and soon. The troops don't work at a Mc Donalds where its just like heres the new boss. They should have a say in what goes on and who their commander in chief is. They should be able to vote a little earlier. FIX IT

October 30, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  104. Maggi

I think that it is ridiculous that the troops over seas votes don’t count. They are there to help and they are also away from their families and friends back home. There is no doubt that they should choose who the next president and the commander in chief should be. COUNT THEIR VOTES!

October 30, 2008 at 8:58 am |
  105. Hilary

I agree with that all people of age should be allowed to vote no matter where they are.

October 30, 2008 at 8:59 am |
  106. karly

I think its dumb I mean they are U.S citizens so their votes should count

October 30, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  107. Michael

The reason we can vote in our country is because we had soldiers fight for our freedom and obtained our freedom so if anyone should be able to vote it should be the soldiers who defend are country and freedom.

October 30, 2008 at 9:01 am |

I think that it is very unfair that the criminals of this country get to vote but the people who protect our country might not get to vote because their votes don't make it here. I think that the troops votes should count. I also think that the criminals should only be allowed to vote if all the troops votes count.

October 30, 2008 at 9:02 am |
  109. will

they are American’s too so they can should be able to vote they are the people that let us vote and they should be able to vote and the problem that most of the votes cannot get there in time in this day and age that shouldn’t have that problem we live in the greatest country in the world and we have the tech to give their votes I think that their votes should be more important to this country they get affected the most by it t they put there lives on the line to have the right to vote and they don’t even get that right

October 30, 2008 at 9:03 am |

It isn't right that our military's votes are not counting. I know that it may be hard to get their votes in, but I think they should just bring a couple of booths to Iraq. I think that we should try harder to get their vote to count because they are risking their lives for us.

October 30, 2008 at 9:04 am |
  111. Billie

I don’t think it is fair that the troop’s votes don’t count as much to almost nothing. I mean they are part of America too. I think it is unfair because it’s like telling an old person that they can’t vote because they are going to die soon. It just doesn’t happen.

October 30, 2008 at 9:05 am |
  112. Lauren

I agree! Our next president is going to make many, many descisions regarding the war in Iraq. While many people here seem to think that our troops should be withdrawn immediately, don’t you think that some of the men in Iraq feel like they’re fighting for a just cause? The people on American soil shouldn’t make the majority of the descision regarding the troops. It effects them more than us. Plus, we count the votes of our prisinors on American soil, but the votes of our soldiers who are supporting us aren’t always counted. There has to be a better system to tally the troop’s votes!

October 30, 2008 at 9:17 am |
  113. Coach McCullers

I'm just as outraged as you, Carl. The troops are the ones protecting our right to vote and yet their right to vote is being revoked. I find this very frustrating along with knowing that people incarcerated still have the right to register and vote despite their crimes committed. It seems that our voting rules and regulations are flawed.

October 30, 2008 at 9:19 am |
  114. Anah

I dont think that its is right that the men and women that are fighting for our country vote, but their votes dont even get counted. What irritates me the most is that the people who are incarsined get to vote and their votes get counted. i dont think that is fair what so ever.

October 30, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Thats Mean 😥 And it's not fair Hopefully th at law changes

October 30, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  116. Molly

I think they should all be able to vote and be able to count, but how do they know who to vote for, do they have a TV or a radio?

October 30, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  117. Tigger

I think that they should be able to vote because they fight for our freedom and that wouldn't be fair if they wouldn't be able to vote

October 30, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  118. Moira

That's not fair. These are the people who defend us and our rights, but they can't vote? I see no logic in that.

October 30, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  119. Natalie

I do not think it is fair that the troops do not get to vote because they are fighting for our do not get a say in what is going on with the presidential election

October 30, 2008 at 9:29 am |

I think it's really stupid that troops aren't able to vote

October 30, 2008 at 9:29 am |

i don't think it's fair that they dont get to vote

October 30, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  122. Espen

I think that the troops shood be able to vote because who ever becomes president still effects them, and if they want to vote they should be able to.

October 30, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  123. Surada

I think it’s unfair everyone should vote. We’re American we should help each other to pick a new president. The troops are fight for US, so they should be able to vote for new president of US too. They are US citizen; they have the right to vote so they should vote!

October 30, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  124. Joe;-)

This is horrible 30 % what the heck is wrong with the voting i you know i would be the mail man for the hero's 😦

October 30, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  125. Walrus :)

I love the troops. I think that they should be able to vote. My uncle is in the war right now and his wife just had a baby. My other uncle died in 9/11. Count their votes. It really counts.

October 30, 2008 at 9:57 am |
  126. shaun

I am so with Carl on this issue because the troops that are over the sea are risking there lives for us, they should be able to vote... they should be the first ones to vote..
    =D

October 30, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  127. alleshouse

Thats not right that the troop can not vote when there fighting for are country. the are risking there life's for us right now and they can not vote that is not right at all

October 30, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  128. Todd

If we are a democracy then by right the citizens should have a vote, exspecialy when they are fighting a war. Make a new law giving our troops an early vote or do something that is at least productive towards that.

October 30, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  129. Emmett

Yeah the votes should count because they are the ones who are fighting for our country so they should be able to be the first people to even vote if anything. Then they are also risking their lives and they won't let them vote I just totally disagree because they should vote and have a say.

October 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  130. Brian

I think every body should vote

October 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  131. sam

I Think that since the troops are fighting for our country they should be able to vote!!

October 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  132. justin

I AGREE WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO IF THE VOTES OF OUR BRAVEST PEOPLE'S VOTES WON'T EVEN COUNT TOWARD THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. THE SOLDIERS ARE THE COOLEST GUYS AND THERE VOTES DON'T COUNT.

October 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  133. Alexander

I think that's not even right at all! Why shouldn't the soldiers be able to vote? I mean, they are U.S. citizens you know. And to top that, they have more rights than all of us because they're fighting in a war! Sheeesh!

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  134. Alexandria

I think it is so wrong!
    They are fighting for their family's and their country they should be able to vote! If it was me and they wouldn't let me vote and I was a troop I wouldn't want to be a troop any more, one the war as been going on way to long and it is not worth it if you ask me because war solves nothing!!!

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  135. Mitch

I don't like it cause they are over there and we are the ones sittin on ower behinds and they are over there risking there lives fighting and they don't get votes

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  136. Brittney

Troops votes don't count?? What thats crazy there vote is one of the most important vote because there the ones risking there life's for this country. There part of this country to and they should have a say in who is the next president .

October 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |

I don't think that we should be stopping the votes coming from the troops. The troops are the ones fighting for our country, they should be the first ones to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  138. Jordan

It think that the troops should be able to vote for our next leader. I don't understand why they don't count their votes. They are part of our nation and have that right. I think that they would know more about who should be president then anyone else because they are involved in things that happen to the U.S. everyday. I think that they should count the soldiers votes, it is not fair to them that they don't count their votes.

October 30, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  139. Josh

Why wouldʻt the troops be able to vote!! Those are the people who are most important. They serve for our country and we canʻt even let them vote!! That law should be changed... Thatʻs just unacceptable...

October 30, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  140. Brandon

I think the solder sould vote because the troops are fitting for us and they can't vote. I think all kind of people can vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  141. Brittany

Just because the troops are in Iraq they should be able to vote. They are some of the most important people in American right now. We should be working hard to make sure their votes count on how is the next president. The fact that they might not count, it is unfair. These people give their life for us and we repay them by not having there votes count. I think that we should come up with a special way to mail those soldiers votes.

October 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  142. Tyler

They shouldn't throw away a vote just because there is no witness address on it. It is still a vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  143. Rath

I think it is totally unfair. They are doing more to protect our nation than we are, and they don't even get their votes counted. I wouldn't want that to happen to me at all.

October 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  144. Shawn

i think that its not very nice that troops in iraq don't get to vote so i think that they should be able to vote

October 30, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  145. Christina

I think that the troops should vote earlier,So they will be counted

October 30, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  146. Drew D

I think the troops solud be able to.

October 30, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  147. Crystal

I think that just cause troops are in another conutry at the time should not mean that they don't get to vote for there country that they are gonna come home to.

October 30, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  148. Samantha

I think its not fair that the troops can't vote because there the ones that is fighting for America. Plus the troops is apart of the americans.

October 30, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  149. Nick

This is not good at all I think that this is so dumb. Our soldiers that are fighting for our country should have the right to vote for who will be running the nation when they get back. Either one of the candidates could be pulling them out of the war or leaving them so it really matters about there vote cause it could pull them out.

October 30, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  150. Asia

I think the troops vote should count i mean there over there.......

October 30, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  151. Randall

I really think troops should be able to vote because they are fighting for us in a war. They should at least get the opportunity to show who they feel Should be president.

October 30, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  152. kassandra

I think the troops vote eilier and they should count because they are the ones that are willing to fight for our freedoms.

October 30, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  153. Krista

Its not really anybody's fault its really just because the mail is not getting here on time. I do feel though that every soldier should votte but there should just be an easier way.

October 30, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  154. maddison

I think that troops in iraq should be able to vote, because if they cant then it's really not fair to them. I think that everyone should have a chance to vote on who they want their president to be.

October 30, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  155. Dylan

i feel that the troops's votes should count because they are the ones with their like on the line fighting for our country so it really effects them a lot.

October 30, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  156. Ben

I think that the troops votes should come first because they are the ones fighting for our country.

October 30, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  157. br00ke

I agree, because the troops are the ones who are fighting the war and they are serving our country so their votes should matter the most. They should definitely get to vote, just because they're not in the country doesn't mean their vote shouldn't count.

October 30, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  158. Torrie

I think there votes should be counted because they still are American citicens and they are working hard for our country. We all have the right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  159. LeAndra

I think that all votes should count because if it wasn't for our troops we would not be here today. I think the troops should vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  160. Devon

I think it is very wrong, because if the troops could vote it could change the election. This is what could happen if the troops could vote Mccain could be in the lead for the votes. Or maybe Obama can fly way up on votes. You never now. That is wrong that only 30% of men and women risking there lives get there votes counted.

October 30, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  161. jakob

Our troops are the ones out there putting there life on the line an they wont count there vote! How could they the troops are the ones who keep this country safe there vote needs to count.

October 30, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  162. Tyler

i think that is terrible, the troops are the ones defending this country and their vote should count if not more than count!!

October 30, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  163. trent

Troops should have the right to vote there Americans just like the rest of us.

October 30, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  164. Angelina

The U.S troops are over there fighting so we can have a president and so we can do the things that we, American people want to do. They make everything possible so not allowing them to vote is unpatriotic to the United States of America!

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  165. Devin

I think that soldiers should have votes and if people want to treat them different because they went and served there life to are world then i think that all the soldiers that feel that they should be allowed to vote then they should try to start a law that makes it legal for soldiers to vote and really go threw with it. I don't think that a soldier should get treated different than a regular person that doesn't fight for are country they are no different. If they don't do any thing about it than that really show's that really are just using are soldiers just for help for us not to get in trouble with any other country

October 30, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  166. Sarah

I think They'rethe ones protecting our country so it's they're votes are the most important ones. Also, My mom isn't sure who to vote for as of yet and I'm not really sure who I'd like to win either, but that article on how your decision might be because of your brain was really interesting. Every time Sanjay comes on, I pay close attention. He used to work for the University of Michigan Health Department and she knew him. (my mom works for the U of M Health School)

October 30, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  167. Jon

This is outrageous! How can we live with ourselves if our country won't even count the votes of the men who are risking their lives to preserve the liberties that we take for granted. I don't care if we have to wait, every troops vote should count.

October 30, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  168. kyle

I think that this is ridiculous. These people are fighting for our country and being true Americans and then we won't let their votes count. Thats not fair at all.

October 30, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  169. Mike

The troops are sacrificing their own lives for our liberty, which is the most patriotic thing that an American can possibly do. If anyone's vote should count it should be theirs.

October 30, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  170. Destiny

i think that troops should vote i mean there vote counts more then anyones because there the ones out there fighting and loseing there lifes so i don't think that wrighting on a peice on paper is really going to hurt them so let them vote that have a right." !!!!!!!!!freedom to the polls!!!!!!"

October 30, 2008 at 10:58 am |
  171. Jenny

The troops are doing the most patriotic act for this country, and they won't even get to put in their word on who they think should run it? They say it's due to the fact that the votes don't reach the counters in time. I think we should wait for the troops votes, they definitely deserve it.

October 30, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  172. nick

This is dumb! I think that the soldiers votes should count. They are considered U.S. citizens and are also fighting for our country; they should have every right for their votes to count.

October 30, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  173. Sara C.

I think that the troops should get extra extra time to cast their ballets. If they are getting in late and the votes aren’t getting counted, then they should have a special ballet they can fill out to have their votes count because they are the most deserving people to have the opportunity to vote and have their voices heard.

October 30, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  174. alex

I think our troops should be able to vote. They are a part of this country too. The troops protect our country and risk their lives and don’t get to vote? I think that’s dumb.

October 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  175. Wyatt

I think its stupid that they can't vote because they fight for us and then they can't vote???? That's stupid.LET THEM VOTE

October 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  176. Alicia

I don’t think that it is fair that they are not counting the soldiers vote. Just because they don't have a witness address doesn't mean that they should have the right to take away their vote. I honestly feel that these soldiers should have more of a right to vote because they are in Iraq fighting for our country risking their lives everyday. While us American’s sitting at home doing nothing compared to them has every right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  177. John

I think that the troops in Iraq should be able to vote on who they want for president. They life in America and get the right to vote. If it’s that they aren’t getting the ballets early enough, then our county should make more of an effort to get it to them

October 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  178. kyle

I think that this is ridiculous. I do not understand why they can't vote. Why should they need a witness address? They have thousands of other American soldiers around them that can be used as witnesses. These people are fighting for our country and being true Americans and then we won't let their votes count. Thats not fair at all.

October 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  179. Ms Taylor

Democracy is all about every citizen's voice counting – and if anything, our troops are citizens on steroids! Not counting their votes is un-American. With technology wrapping the globe, surely we can find a way for them to vote electronically from wherever they are. Secure sites and passwords perhaps?

October 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  180. Seth

I think the troops should be the the most important votes because they know the real problems over there when we only know what we've seen and if there votes aren't counted a wrong choice could be made about what happens in Iraq.

October 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  181. Brittney

It really sucks that our troops don’t even get to vote when they are the ones that are risking their lives in war for us. In my opinion our troop’s votes are the most important vote from the American people. It’s just not right.

October 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  182. gunnar

That does no make sense I mean if they are American U.S. citizens they should get to vote and they fight for are country. They are the first people that should get to vote.....

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  183. Katie

I think troops votes should count. They should count because there the people fighting for are country and keeping us safe. Out of all the people I think their the ones who's votes should count the most.

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |

This maybe super cliché but yeah defiantly the troops need those votes to count. If we deprive them of one right what next are we going to tell them they can’t talk? I think someone needs to do something about it and get those votes to count.

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  185. Sarah

I think that the votes of our servicemen and women should be a big priority. My reasoning for this is because the war in Iraq is one of the biggest issues that we are voting about this upcoming election and they are the ones that are the most involved. They are the ones fighting, let them decide whether they want to finish the job or high-tail it out of there. Their votes should be more important to get than the ones that are cast in the United States. Yes, it would be very difficult to get the mail through there, but there are always alternatives that they can use. Votes of our servicemen and women should be a priority.

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  186. Olivia

I think that if anyone in our country gets to vote it should be the U.S. troops. They are over seas risking their lives so that we can have the right to vote and choose our president. They deserve to help decide the president. If they have a problem with mail, or whatever, they need to find a way to fix it. It's ridiculous that people who are helping keep our country a free one, don't get to decide who runs our country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  187. xitlali

I think they should vote for sure they are the ones fighting for are country. I think everybody should have a saying in what they want.They are U.S citizens. I think they should let them vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  188. Veronica

I think that it's really stupid that soldiers can't vote. If they are willing to lay their lives on the line then they should be able to vote for that country's president. It's not that they can't vote, but they obviously don't send them in on time. They need to figure out exactly when to send the soldier's votes across so that their vote actually counts for something. Soldiers stand for the country's rights to be what it wants to be so now the country can do something for the soldiers!

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  189. Kailie

I find the entire thing completely idiotic!!!
    If they weren't even legit US citizens, they wouldn't even be on the front lines risking their lives!
    I think they should get some kind of special treatment...
    And the mail service has no excuse... If they can do overnight ground shipping from New York to Washington, then they can get the ballots from the troops in time to have them counted for the states that they are in.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  190. Geordan

It is stupid that the army people don't get to vote. They risk their lives and tehy don't get a say in who they want to be the leader.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  191. Bre

I think that the troops should be able to vote. They are fighting for our country and they are risking their lives. I mean i think that every single vote should be considered. It doesn't matter if they don't have a returning address. I know that the troops in Iraq would want to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  192. Sydney

I think that the U.S. Troops should get to vote!!!!!!! I think this because they are the ones fighting for our country and everyone one in my opinion should get to vote for who they want to rule our country. I think that they should Count Their Votes!

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  193. Mckenzie

My opinion about the troops votes not counting is not fair They are risking their lives over seas for us and some of them don't even get a say in who is going to run the country. Even though who gets elected has a big impact on te troops. Some of them want the wars to end and some want to keep fighting so the problem gets resolved. I think that even though they don't get them in by the absentee date then they should still be counted.

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 am |

I think that the soldiers should be able to votes and have it count. It's not there fault that their over there. Our government needs to figure out how they can vote and have it count. Their vote is the one that counts the most they are the ones that serve our country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  195. Alissa

I think that it is a good thing for the soldiers to vote. Why? Well soldiers in Iraq are the ones most affected by the President so they should have a choice in who that person is. Also so they can find out on when they can come home and how long they stay there fighting. That is why I think the soldiers should have the right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  196. Jacob

The troops in battle should get votes for the election! Just because they may have to use absentee votes doesn't mean the people who get the votes can't go out of their time for a while to sort the troops votes! They are still American citizens too! And the votes not being counted because they are in the wrong place? Come on, they are fighting for US, the WHOLE COUNTRY! Their votes count!

October 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  197. Alayna

The soliders should be able to vote. They are over in another country fighting for what a presidents wants. Soliders votes could totally change the outcome of the presedent. If i was a solider I would be mad that I couldn't vote. Soliders should be able to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  198. Kelsey

My opinion on Troops not able to vote is that it is not right. The troops should be able to vote, if any one should be able to vote it should be the troops. Their the ones out fighting, risking their lives, and they should get a say in the next person that leads them and the country. It is not fair for them to not be able to vote because they are out of the country serving.

October 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  199. Chris

I think that the troops should be able to vote even though it is difficult for the absentee. This is difficult but i still believe that they should because they know more about our government than anyone else and they would have the right decision. Also they should be able to vote because they have a right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  200. will

I don’t think its right not to count the votes from the soldiers because they are overseas fighting so we can even have a president. We need to find a way to get there votes valid and faster maybe we need to set up a website so that they can vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  201. ~Sarah~

I think that troops votes should be the ones that truly mater. One of the issues is the war in Iraq and one candidate thinks we should keep them there and the other thinks we should bring them home but the troops should get to choose what the want to do so their vote should be the one that truly matters.

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  202. Alexa

Duh??? Hello..we need our troops to vote, it is very ridiculous that they are talking about our troops not voting! They need to vote, they are the ones that are fighting for out country! Whatever they are having a problem with, they just need to fix it. If I was a troop, and they told me my vote would not count, I would be so furious and mad!

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  203. Kyler

I think that the troops should be able to vote even though they are over seas. They should have the decision just like every body else. They defend our country every day that shouldn't be the only way to show respect to our country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  204. Allison

The fact that the ballots American troops cast for president do not count is absolutely ridiculous and by all means unpatriotic and unnecessary. I think that these men and women who put their lives in the line should be begged by people to vote literally. They should be the ones whose vote counts the most since they are the reason that we even have a country to vote freely in. I am very disappointed at the decision of soldiers not being able to vote. Our country really needs to wake up and decide "Hey, you know what, these troops are over their with families and children over here waiting for their safe return and some don't make it back. The ones that do SHOULD be able to vote and out of everyone else they are probably the ones who have the most to say about our country." We should be proud and not deny our soldiers the right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  205. Jasmine

Of course our U.S. troops should have a say. This is a free country why shouldn't they. They are the ones protecting and providing for this country. I'm sure they would love to choose who gives orders they want to follow. Prisoners can vote, PRISONERS!! Why can't our troops. If i was in their position I would be furious. I don't understand all this.

October 30, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  206. Martha

Soldiers have the right to vote! They're over in Iraq and over seas fighting for our country and our freedom, yet they don't get to decide who our president is? They have a right to vote just as any of us. They're US citizens just as we are. So they're saying that the soldiers shouldn't have a say really in our president? Is that what they really get for fighting for our freedom?

October 30, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  207. mariah

i think that the troops that vote their votes are the ones that count the most and the troops vote should be the most important one.

October 30, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  208. ..:amber:..

I seriously think that the troops should be able to vote because they are human beings just like we are and also they are fighting for our country so they should at least get a choice to vote on who they want to be the president of the country they are fighting for.

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  209. marissa

I think that they should be able to vote. It's not their fault that their over there the government needs to find a way to make their vote count. Their vote is the most important one.

October 30, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  210. Dana

I can't believe that our troops, of all people, get their votes thrown out. They risk their lives for us, and their reward is getting a right taken away that the Constitution gave them? This is a problem that really needs to be fixed. Imagine how you would feel if that happened to you. You probably wouldn't like it, and neither would I. Our troops deserve to vote even more than the average person.

October 30, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  211. Catherine

I think that it isn't fair that troops don't get to vote who runs their country. Even if they are in a different country they are still U.S citizens and since they don't live there permanently they should be able to vote for the president. They are just like anyone else that is aloud to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 am |

Troops should be able to vote. They should be able to because they are fighting for our country and they need to pick on what president should become the person to make the country or state a better place to live and to fight. Also because they may not want to be down there and they may want to stop the war from continuing on and to stop sending money down there towards them all the time. Maybe they want to take some of that money and put it into people who need college money or health care money and stuff like that. Also they want a president who will make sure that they don't have to spend there whole life down there and they should be able to come back and see there family. They also should be able to vote because they want to give the money that goes down there to the people who need it instead of spending it on weapons and violation. I would hate to do that. If I were down there and I wasn't able to vote for president I would get mad because I want to get away from violation and stuff like that. That is probably what kind of president some of us would want. Also if I couldn't get to vote I would just vote anyways even though I'm not supposed to. That is why troops should vote and what kind of president a troop may want while they are in the war.

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  213. Trevor C.

I think it a bad issue. I think troops have more of a right to vote then we do. They are they are the ones fighting for OUR country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  214. Nicole

having troops votes not count isnt fair. They put thier lives at steak for us everyday.

October 30, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  215. Rheana

Our troops in Iraq really deserve to vote. The vote will affect them more than anyone, and they are the ones who are risking their lives to protect American citizens. I don't think John McCain respects our military and wants to leave them where they are no longer needed. However, Obama might bring our troops home too fast if he is elected. A terrorist attack could easily happen right now with the distraction of the election.

October 30, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  216. Payton

Taking away troops votes is not fair! Our troops are out there fighting for us and the least we can do is let them vote! I think the troops should be aloud to vote for anyone they want.

October 30, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  217. kaitlyn v

there are tons of people serving for our freedom in iraq. With a new president coming into office soon, the troops will be under new control. if they are risking their lives every day for us, their votes should count.

October 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  218. jalen (^_^)

This is a out rage they say every one gets a vote but the soilders don't and there the ones risking there lives.

October 30, 2008 at 12:10 pm |
  219. seth

if there is anyone that has the right to vote, its the people that defend our country. Everyones vote should count, no exceptions.

October 30, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  220. Alukaizer

I think that the troop should defiantly get to vote only if they meet the requirements but they would have to meet those requirements ig they are in the army right? Oh and they can shoot guns so if you disagree then POW

October 30, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  221. Anna

I think that it is totally ridiculous not to count some of our troop’s votes. They are the ones who are putting their life on the line for us the least we can do is do as much as we can to make their votes count. This makes me really mad because they are doing everything they can for us and we aren’t helping our troop’s at all.

October 30, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  222. Michael

The troops should just put their home address on the vote and then they will be able to vote for who they think that will do a good job. I just don't think it is fair that the troops don't get a chance to vote when they are fighting for our freedom and our country.

October 30, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  223. Cynthia

It is defiantly unpatriotic to not let the troops vote. They are keeping us safe but yet it looks as if we don't care what they think. This rule should be changed and there should be more of an effort made to get their votes in on time.

October 30, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  224. Morgan

I think that it is beyond ridiculous that the troops don’t get to vote. Out of all people in the country, they, before anyone, should be given a vote. They are still citizens and they’re votes mean the most in my opinion considering keeping troops in Iraq is a huge part of this presidential campaign. If PRISONERS can vote, then good grief so should military personnel.

October 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  225. Trenique

I disagree, they werent here so why should they count, the troops are over seas trying to support our country and Im thankful for that but its like if someone went on vacation and forgot to vote because their over seas and theres dont count, the troops that are here in the U.S.A should count but if your not here should it be a huge issue to vote? ANd troops signed up to miss things in life just like seeing their kids born or missing Christmas its the same issue, if the troops arent home should we post-pone Christmas? I think not...

October 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  226. dan

They should let the troop votes because they are people of the USA

October 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  227. Ashley L.

I definitely think that troops should be allowed to vote. This is especially because one of the issues is about the war, and this concerns the troops. They should be able to have a say in something that affects not only them but also their families. And whoever gets elected will be their commander-in-chief and gets to decide the direction of the war.

October 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  228. Meagan

It is extremely dumb that the troops over seas just "don't count". If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have the right to vote. Also, how is it that HOMELESS people (who don't pay taxes or mortgage or anything) can register to vote, but our troops, fighting for our rights, can't?

October 30, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  229. Steph

I believe that this is a huge problem to be having. And I fully agree with the statement of not counting the troops votes to be “unpatriotic.” It’s unbelievable to be even having this problem. Our troops, our heroic Americans should be given every right like any other citizen, and but not counting their votes they are not included in choosing their very own commander and chief. It should be our first priority to make it possible for troops to have their vote count.

October 30, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  230. kylie

i think that it is really annoying that the troops votes arnt counting. they need to make a special sitaution ballet for the people over seas, this election really affects them & their vote needs to count.

October 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  231. Emerson

i find it very hard to believe that they are ltting this happen with our troops. If anyone is deserving to have their vote count its the US troops over seas.

October 30, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  232. kira

I think that it is wrong that the soldiers voted are not being considered in the election because they have the potential to sway the poles.

October 30, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  233. Jessica

I fully agree with you, Carl. That is totally unfair, unpatriotic, and ridiculous that the troops' votes don't count. If anyone's votes should count, theirs should, because they're out there risking their lives every single day and fighting to protect OUR freedoms. They shouldn't have laws that prevent votes from being counted, especially ones like the law in Virginia.

October 30, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  234. Brianne

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they won't count the troops' votes. They are fighting in a war for us and they don't have the common curtesy to count their votes?! that is unbelievable.

October 30, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  235. Kegan

I think that the troops votes should be just as important as anyone else’s, if not more because they the ones actually defending our nation. They know first hand what kind of leader we need at this time and should have confidence that their votes will go through.

October 30, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  236. Ryan

I think that there needs to be a special program so that all the U.S. citizens get there vote counted.

October 30, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  237. andy

troops should have there votes counted because there the ones that are fighting for our freedom

October 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm |
  238. jackie =]

Military unable to vote is very frustrating, they put their lives on the line to protect the Unites States and they can’t even vote for one of the people who decide if they stay in the war or slowly get to come home. There vote is very important and congress needs to find a way to make sure they have the right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm |
  239. Blake

All votes entered by military troops should count because everyones voice should be heard.

October 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  240. April K.

The troops are out their fighting for our country, dying for us, and they’re votes aren’t even counting for election. Their votes are being thrown out for little reasons that troops don’t have control over. Either someone needs to do something about the law that’s set up for the troops that are voting, or the sheet that they fill out to vote needs to be fixed. I want our troops to vote, they have the right more than any of us.

October 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  241. Joe

I completely agree with Carl Azuz troops need to have a say because it affects them more than the rest of us. The flaws in the system need to be addressed if it’s flawed fix it I don’t under stand why it is taking so long to fix the problem.

October 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  242. Matt

There is really no reason that their votes shouldnt count. I mean if anything their votes should get counted first. I think that they all should be able to choose their commander in cheif, especially when they are standing for are country and giving us the right to vote.

October 30, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  243. CJ

To not count the votes of U.S. service men and women is ridiculous, even through there are difficulties those should not prevent their voice from being heard. The men and women defending our country are the people that are most effected by the change in the executive office, which is why their vote should be counted, possibly even weighted as more then the average citizen.

October 30, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  244. Sarah

i also think that the troops overseas should be a bigger priorty for their votes to count especially sinve they are the ones who will fight for our country. I also think that all people that are 18 and older should be able to vote and they should count and like Hilary said it shouldn't matter where they are.

October 30, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  245. britt

I think it’s horrible that our troop’s votes aren’t being counted. Those votes should be top priority and we should be doing any thing to make sure they are in on time and that they are filled out correctly.

October 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  246. Casey

I think that all troops’ votes should count even though they can’t fill out some of the information on the ballet. It is not their fault they can’t vote, so the government should do what’s necessary to make their votes count considering the troops are government property “G.I.”…

October 30, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  247. chelsea

i think it's ironic how the people that are fighting for us in warring and dangerous countries don't even get a say in who is going to run the country they devote their lives to. There are people in this country who could care less what happens, they just vote for whoever seems better and then leave the polling place in their Lexus. We have troops who cannot vote that have a strong opinion on who will get elected, and they're vote will not be voiced. I personally think that more attention should be addressed on this issue and make it possible for their votes to be in on time and counted.

October 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  248. Emerald

I think that it is wrong that the troops are not getting a say in who the president of the united states is going to be, they are a big part of our society and without them we wouldn’t be able to be as successful as we are.

October 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  249. Scott

I think it's very wrong if the troops votes don't get counted they are the most important people of all.

October 30, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  250. alec

there vote should count more than any body's

October 30, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  251. Sean

This is the US. Those troops are fighting for us, so shouldn't they have a say in who they are fighting for? Also, normal civilians don't know much about the war and what needs to happen in it. The troops know best about veteran care and how the war needs to go from here.

October 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  252. Devin

I totally agree with you, Carl Azuz. They should have the same rights as us, maybe even more, for risking their lives, spending everyday fighting enemies.

October 30, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  253. Deldar

Thats just unfair in every way!

October 30, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  254. Brooks

they are the ones that shuold count the most. They keep us alive i think they should have the most way in who the president is

October 30, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  255. MIranda

I think it is no fair, all the U.S troops should get to vote it may be hard to get through the mail and stuff but that should be fixed. The troops are risking their lives everday for are country and missing holidays with familes. They should get to vote and have their votes counted it's just fair. The troops are all citizens of america and every citizen over 18 gets to vote includeing the troops in iraq.

October 30, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  256. gwen!!!

TROOPS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  257. Lyndsey

I think that not having votes for troops is not right at all. They are serving our country and making sure that we continue to have the right to vote. If anyone should have the right to vote, it should be our troops.

October 30, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  258. Cruzz

I think that they're votes should be allowed to be counted. Because they are working there buts off in iraq for us.

October 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  259. David

I think it’s stupid that our troops might not get to vote. They are protecting the country and if anything there vote should count for more. Just because they are overseas doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get to vote. It’s not right and something should be done about it.

October 30, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  260. Javier

October 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  261. Nick

I think it’s really dumb that they’re not counting some troops’ votes because of stupid rules that are made by different states. Our Armed Forces troops are putting their lives on the line for our country, and they might not even be able to vote in the election. That’s messed up.

October 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  262. Elizabeth

I think that our troops overseas should have their votes recognized. I don’t know what it would to take to make that possible, but I for one would do anything it takes. They are risking their lives every day to protect us, shouldn’t every person enrolled have a right to say to who will be our next president? After all, the next president will decide how long they will stay over there, and a lot of decisions about the war.

October 30, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  263. Ross

I think that this whole thing about the troops voting and not counting is absurd! This is one screw up that the US government cannot have. Our heroes overseas deserve better than this. They fight for our freedom and don’t get a chance to be heard in politics? That sounds un-American to me.

October 30, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  264. Karl

I think that they are the most important voters in the country, and I think that it would really skew the numbers and make the election unfair. I think that the troops have even more say in the election than regular citizens because they are the ones that are putting their lives on the line for this country.

October 30, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  265. Garrett

This is really unfair for the people risking their lives to save America not able to vote because somebody messed up the voting sheet. They should count them anyway. They know where they are coming from so why just throw them away. Those votes could be the deciding votes for the election. They should send them back voting sheets so that they can all revote.

October 30, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  266. pamela

I don’t think that it is fair that we can vote when the people who are defending us can’t. I think that they should allow them to vote and then make sure their ballots are right when they get there.

October 30, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  267. Ricardo

Troops should have every right to vote. They are our heroes from across the world and their vote should be counted just like any other American.

October 30, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  268. sean

I would never think for one second that the troops votes would not be counted correctly. They are the ones actuall defending our country and what we belive in. We should make it easier for them to vote than anyone else. They are the ones risking their lives. they should be able to have a say in who runs the country next!

October 30, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  269. Laura

Personally I think that it is so wrong. I would like to work for the government. But if I cannot vote it does not seem fair to me. People overseas in the military and with civilian jobs get treated unfairly if they cannot vote. I think that if I am going to work for the US Government then I what a say in who is going to be put in the White House. It seems that they are count those over sea as not being here and their votes do not count for election. So I think the only fair thing to do is to let them vote when they come home.

October 30, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  270. Charlotte

I think it is not right that the government, or someone isn't doing something to make sure that their votes count when it comes time to vote. It is just foolish of them to think that they can get away with that!

October 30, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  271. Carla

They should be counted. That is totally unfair! To risk your life to help defend our country and not be able to vote? Thats just not right!

October 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  272. Anthony

This is completely absurd, the men and women who fight for our country will not be able to vote. I would never imagine that troops votes will not be counted. The troops who cannot vote, have a strong opinion on who will get elected, and their vote will not be voiced. The up coming president will have a big impact on the wars. Will the president choose to keep the troops fighting or send them back to America where they will be safe? I personally think that a lot more attention should be addressed on this issue and make it possible for their votes to arrive on time and be counted in the 08' election.

October 30, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  273. Ryan

Carl I couldn't agree with you more. Our men and women in our military are fighting to preserve our right to vote. Without them no one would be able to vote. It is beyond me that their votes may not count now. America is becoming too liberal for many people. Especially these troops.

October 30, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  274. skyler

anyone who is willing to kill and die 4 our country sould be able 2 vote 4 their next leader. this is crazy, if anyones vote sould count thers should. their is only a few days left 2 vote and all votes r inportent what ever is wrong we need 2 fix it, NOW!!!

October 30, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  275. Tonio

The soldiers are the ones, who go there and fight in the service of their country. Their lives are at risk – everyday. That's why they should at least have the chance to vote their next commander-in-chief who in fact may decide their very own future.

Best regards from the rainy Northern-Germany

October 30, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  276. Allen

I think that Troops votes should count. There out there in war they should at least be able to vote. Most of the debating is about the war. If there out there right in the middle of it then they know the most about it. So yes Troops votes should be counted.

October 30, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  277. Katelyn

I think that it is dumb that there votes don't count .The next president could change there lives in some way and that they should get a say in who it is. They are saving our lives and they don't even get there votes to count.
    LET THEM VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  278. Emily

I agree. In any presidential election, there are many issues that the candidates need to take in consideration and they need to make opinions and policies on these issues too. One of the most important issues a presidential candidate has to take in consideration are wars our country is involved in. In this election, the war in the Middle East is a big concern. Since the men and women serving in Iraq see the war everyday and have a lot of knowledge on it, they should have every right to vote in the presidential election. Also, the men and women who serve in the war from our nation should have the right to vote because everyone in our nation has the right to, so therefore they should have the privilege to vote even though they are over seas. Every vote counts, especially in this tight election.

October 30, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  279. Hunter

Why not count their vote?They're the one risking their life and are still American!They have the right to vote because they're a citizen of the U.S.A.Even my school is having a mock election!Yet they have the right to vote!

October 30, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  280. Jayson

I think that is messed up that troops should have more say about who's president is so that my opinion.

October 30, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  281. zach

I think that the troops should be be allowed to vote. They are the ones who kill people and they should have an opinion about the election.

October 30, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  282. ya man

I think it is VERY messed up that the people who are keeping our country alive don't get their votes counted cuz their lives sort of depend on the next pez right?
    GGGGGGOOOOOOO TTTTTRRRRRROOOOOPPPPPSSSSSS

October 30, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  283. Caroline

Thats completely rong. My parents refuse to tell me who their voting for but I know that they would think thats disrespectful for the people to not get a say at what is probabily more important to them then to us. My opinion is that as a whole, the U.S needs to be responsible for this. Thier vote means more than ours! Just let them vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  284. Ashley[:

I think it is horrible if the troops don't get to vote. They are over there [iraq] supporting our country and they don't get to vote for the president they want. I'm not understanding why there is a law like there is.
    whatever!

October 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  285. Kira

Not counting troops votes! i hate that they risk their lives to keep up safe and what you do to them to repay is not counting their votes. This is an outrage! Let them vote and let their votes count!

October 31, 2008 at 6:52 am |
  286. Colton

I feel that this is very unfair for the soldiers in Iraq. They're over in Iraq fighting for our country and they're vote doesn't event count? Their vote would mean a lot to us and I feel they should change this decision. U.S. soldiers should have a right to vote because they are the ones risking their lives for us and this is unpatriotic. We should acknowledge the fact that if their fighting for the sake of our lives then their vote should count for the next President of the United States.

October 31, 2008 at 8:13 am |
  287. Aidan

without the troops, our country could be killed or something. they deserve to help decide who runs it.

October 31, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  288. Jordan

I think this is very unfair because they are the ones who are fighting for our freedom and they defend our country We wouldnt even have a president if we didnt have a country!! I think this is unfair to the troops and their families. This needs to be changed as soon as possible.

October 31, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  289. nick

thats not fair at all by the ways give a shot out to nick and christian or ms. hogans class thanks

October 31, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  290. Eileen

That's is so wrong

November 1, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  291. Jake

It is so wrong to keep troops from voting its like they dont have the right to do what any other american can do and yet they are very important to us

November 1, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  292. McKenna

Of any citizen in our country, our troops should be the ones who get to vote. Honestly, I think it's just embarassing that we can't get our country's heroes a basic right and privelege like voting. They of all people deserve it and it should be fixed any way possible.

November 1, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  293. McKenna

Of all citizens in out country, our troops deserve to vote. Seeing as the person elected could greatly affect what they're fighting for and even if they're fighting at all, their cvote really needs to count. I think it's almost embarassing that with the technology we have, this issue came up at all.

November 1, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  294. Billy

I don't like the fact that troops don't get to vote. These people haven't seen there families in months. The constitution gave us the right to vote, and to not let them vote is unconstitutional.

-Go Monarchs

November 1, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  295. Mandy

I think that if your a citizen of the United States you have the right to vote so if your defending our country you should also no matter what have the right to vote. Also the men and women across seas are some of the people who will be most affected by the election.

November 1, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  296. JD

Its not fair to not to let them vote they are out there fighting for our freedom they should be able to vote they are the most deserving anyways

November 2, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  297. Sarah

If the soldiers are the ones defending us and a long time ago got many Americans like women and african Americans the right to vote then they should be able to make another less agressive difference in our country. Besides, when we go to vote the only reason we are there are our soldiers.

November 2, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  298. Lynne

If soldiers are the reason that we have the rights to vote then they should be able to make a less agressive difference in our country.
    besides without them we wouldn't be able to vote.

November 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  299. Elizabeth

OH MY GOSH THESE PEOPLE WHO DO THE MOST TO DEFEND US DONT GET TO VOTE... MESSED UP 🙂

November 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  300. Kasey

I don't think it is fair that some of the troops votes don't count. Everybody's vote should count.

November 3, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  301. Allyson

i think that the troop should be able to vote. just becaues they are defending our couuntri does not mean that they shouldn`t not be able to vote so i think that they should be able to vote !

November 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  302. Peter

I think it is unfair. They are US citien, so the votes should count.

November 4, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  303. Justine

Im a 17 year old soldier myself after high school im getting attached with a unit to get deployed to Iraq. I know i would want my vote to count while im over there so anyone over there now should be counted.

November 4, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  304. Austin

I totaly agree Elisabeth, they may be in a foren country but they are american citizins never the less. And their the one's out their kick'n butt for us, and they see what's happening out their in the middle east, in the war, they KNOW whats best for them and us!

November 4, 2008 at 11:45 am |
  305. travis!!!!!

I don't think that they should go with out voting because they serve our country.

November 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  306. Dakota

I think this is unfair because these people are giving us there live and they should have a say and there vote should count the most in the election

November 4, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  307. Justin

Troops without Votes is ronge

November 4, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  308. Melinda

I think these people should be able to vote for who is going to run this country next. They are the ones out there fighting for our country and they are also apart of it too. We should let them know that their vote counts too. I find that unnessesary that there are people out there risking their lives and they don't get to throw there opinion in there to.

November 4, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  309. Aryanna

I think its unfair that everyone around us get to vote and they get counted but what about the troops they should be able to vote and get counted they are just they same as us GOSH PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  310. Victoria

If any body shouldn't be able to vote it should be us. After all, they have to listen to them and take risk because of that man.

November 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  311. Britt

well just because there in a different continent doesn't mean that they aren't apart of this nation there votes should be counted!

November 4, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  312. SARA

it is not fair that the troops don't get a vote. i mean they risk their lives everyday for this country they should get help choose the president.

November 4, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  313. Camryn

I think that the votes for our troops should count.
    It's not fair if they're serving our country and risking their lives for our country and yet, their vote does'nt get counted!
    It's not right and I believe that their votes should count.

November 4, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  314. Eric

SERIOUSLY!! Those troops are risking their LIVES on the battlefield! And they can't have the right to vote?! That is just so WRONG!!!

November 5, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  315. Iziah

I am an american soldier stationed overseas currently. We can vote. The government wants us to vote, as does our chain of command. Stop worrying. We're in it too. And....most of the soldiers want the man who just won anyway. We're happy.

November 5, 2008 at 1:51 am |
  316. Merrill

I don't think it is right that our troops can't vote over seas when the election really concerns them with the war going on.

November 5, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  317. -Vanessa

i strongely agree with that because the U.S. troops are the ones fighting for our freedom, and if anyone gets the chance to vote, they should be that anyone because they know what's right.

November 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  318. Katie

I think you're totally right Carl. Troops should have the right to vote because when they come home it will be their president too. It's not just like you come home from the war and you didn;t get to vote, so he's not your president. It just doesn't work that way. What is they wantd McCain to win, like me and they come home to find out that they have a person that they really didn't want as president and become upset because they didn't have a say. They should also get to vote because they a doing us a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE favor by serving in the war and they should have a say. I know this is really long, but I have a lot to say because I'm angray at a lot of things these days. SO FRUSTRATING. ARRRG Thanks, Katie

November 5, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  319. mix

What I liked most and will remember is what happened Wed. I can't believe it actually happened, Barack Obama won. Now to see what's going to happen with Obama as president. I hope he will show up in the history books of the future.

November 6, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  320. Jangkoon

This is absolute rubbish. Just SUGGESTING that our nation's soldiers' votes might not be counted is absolutely atrocious!!! Even if it's supposed "technical difficulties" these are the people that are dying for us! And to whoever had the gall to imply this, you just want to turn a deaf ear to their opinions??? quite silly. (by the way "you" does not refer to you carl)

November 6, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  321. Lindsey

It's not fair that troops have no say in the govrenment. They sacrifice their lives for their contry their votes shold count MORE than anyone else.

November 6, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  322. sarah

It really is unfair that troops votes aren't counted. they're the people who support our country, and I really think they should've been counted. It would even be fair if just they picked our nation's president. After all, they do all the work, and it seems like they get no credit.

November 6, 2008 at 7:51 pm |

Troops should have their votes count. My dads in the navy and I feel somethings messed up if his vote doesn't count!!! : (
    Everybody should have their votes count unless they're underage or commited a felony thats fair and if I were president that would be what I'd say!! *< : )

December 2, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  324. Chyanne

The people that are fighting for our country dont even get to vote. Now thats showing how society really is. Thats so messed up, if they are fighting for country then i think they should be able to do everything and anything with in reason.

December 12, 2008 at 12:31 pm |