.
October 27th, 2008

Where the Candidates Stand

Wherever you live, chances are you can't travel a mile without seeing a sign, symbol or sticker supporting Sen. John McCain or Sen. Barack Obama.  (Is anyone really influenced by a bumper sticker?)  But amid all the sound bites and campaign coverage, we felt the issues themselves needed some more airtime.  That's why we're breaking them down all week on CNN Student News.  On Monday, it was the Iraq war; on Tuesday, it's energy.  Our hope is that, even if you're not old enough to vote yet, you'll have a better understanding of where the two major candidates stand as they make their final pushes for the presidency.

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Tyler

i think that brock obama is beast suited to run our country.

October 28, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  2. Todd

I, if old enough, would vote for Obama because his plans and statements fight for Americas middle class and our troops. He is who I plan on voting for in our classes mock election.

October 28, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  3. Nick

I think that we should have signs up. This could be really good, and important things for us to know about.

October 28, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  4. Brian

I think want barock obama to be prsident because i know john mccain will raise taxes and prices like george w bush

October 28, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  5. Emmett

I feel like the stickers and everything will start hoping up every where because that is what always happens. Then the issues are very big we need this to change our economy so this election is very important to everybody if they want something to change for the economy. Thats how I feel and where I stand on the candidates.

October 28, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  6. Brandon

I think obama will win and i hope he wines.

October 28, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  7. shaun

Well i think that what the candidates are doing is just wrong. The candidates are going to far with the whole video game thing and the signs every where..... it's just to much!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:07 am |

I don't think that bumper stickers will influence any of the voters because most people want to here the candidate say what they are going to do in person. I would most likely be influenced by what the candidates would do about the issues.

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  9. Jordan

I think that Sen. John McCain should become our next president. McCain should be president because he doesn't believe in abortion, Obama thinks that the women should have that right. I think that every human being should have a chance to live their life. Also. I think that McCain would help the middle class people more than Obama.

October 28, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  10. Scott

The better candidate is Barack Obama because he is pro choice and he is better with the Iraq war.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  11. Shawn

i think that mcain should be president because he is going to make
    the world a better and less emissions but obama will make it so there are no guns and more energy

October 28, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  12. jalen (^_^)

I think that barack obama has a good stand on the cut down on emission but i do not like how he is against guns. Then McCain has a bad plane about the cut down buy 60% by 2050 because in the 90 the fumes out put was much hirer than now so he is not cutting down as much as you would think.

October 28, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  13. Rath

I think Obama is going to win, but he will be cutting it close. I am greatly influenced whenever I see a sign of any kind. It reminds me how important the election is.

October 28, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  14. brooke

I agree mostly with John McCain and it's not for racial reasons, it's mostly because of how he wants to change taxes for the better of the economy. I think he should be our new president.

October 28, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  15. yuri

I would vote for barack obama if I were a citizen of the U.S. His plan for cutting emmission down to 80% is necessary for saving the earth. We trust many American will make a right decision for our world.

October 28, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  16. Mitch

Why is that it is not cool some people don't like it like that

October 28, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  17. Devon

I don't think a bumper sticker would changed the person's mind on who to vote for. You have to go a lot farther than that. You have to look at the issues to know who you vote for. This is a hard election to pick who.

October 28, 2008 at 12:57 pm |
  18. Brett

I think Sen. John McCain should win, but I think Obama is going to.

October 28, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  19. Kayla

I think that Obama will win but i hope it will be John McCain because of the effort he puts into helping our country and i also think his economic pllan is better for our nation

October 28, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  20. chaise

i think that people should dance to thriller more often because it is a fun dance and they should make it into a tradition.

October 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm |
  21. Josh

I think it's cool that the kids have to do research on the Canidates.

My school is doing a false election to see who us kids would vote for

October 28, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  22. Jared

I think Obama is going to win but it don't really matter to me because I think Obama is going to have problems with racism and Mccain is going to have health issues.

October 28, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  23. Josh

If I could vote I would pick Obama because He is really supportive to the middle and lower classes. Also we don't need Mcain because he is just another BUSH!!!!

October 28, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  24. travis!!!!!

I think Obama should run our country because he has plans to help middle class people.

October 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  25. Seth

Barack Obama should be the one to win the election. He makes a good point on how he will cut down the emissions by 2050.

October 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  26. Mercedes

We all know Obama's gonna win know matter what. Everybody wants him to win. I kind of want Mcain to win. I hope Mcain wins but thats a douter. He ain't gonna win.

October 28, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  27. James

I completely agree with runner up john Mcain

October 28, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  28. Josh

Obama understands that everyone has rights even if it means letting people get abortions

October 28, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  29. Austin

I think that the metnane in the products is really bad and personally I think Oboma is going to win the election but you never no Mcain could still win. They both (would) got my vote.

October 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  30. Damon

I agree mostly with John McCain, he is a better suited president for are contery. He also isn't promising things that cant be fixed like Obama. If I could vote I wood vote for John McCain.

October 28, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  31. Brennan

Barack obama is the better choice when it comes to being president. McCain is just to shady on most of his issues other than the war.McCain chose his VP just to get the liberal christians. Which is a large chunk of voters. We know what Barack is going to do about alternative energy and our economy but we don't quite know about John McCain.

October 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  32. Allison

I have a feeling that Barack Obama will win the election but I would like it if Senator McCain won the presidential race. Obama just doesn't propose everything that I would want to have happen while McCain does promise some things that will help us.

October 28, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  33. Tyler

Go Obama

October 28, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  34. Merkin

I feel that we have had the same kind of leaders since the 1800's and it is time for a change. I want a leader who wants to change our ecomonm for the better and wants to help the middle man and women. I think Obama is the right guy for this. I hope he wins because he is a strong leader. Mcain is great to but i think Sarah Palin is a bit tooo conservitive. I don't want that kind of person a heart-beat away from the president's spot. Obama wants tax cuts for middle americans not big corperations.

October 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  35. LJ

All the signs don't make my more convinced about who I am going to vote for, I just think that it is a big waste that could be used to help the economy.

October 28, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  36. Abbie

I think that Obama is going to win because he deosnt just say yes to a answer and it is all so important to use signs so that people who are undicided can think about it and maybe decide

October 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  37. Nick

Everywhere I look I see posters, bumper stickers or billboards with the candidates' names. My neighbor has six sticking out of their front lawn. But personally I don't Know who I want as president. My Dads voting McCain, my Moms voting Obama. Although I do think the energy crisis is really important, and we should use natural gas instead of fossil fuels, or nuclear power instead of electricity.

October 28, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  38. Derrick

No matter what you say you always get phone calls and junk mail about the election even if your parents have already voted.

October 28, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  39. Faith

Hi Carl,
    I'm sorry this is irrelevent to the topic, but I wanted to comment on the first story in the Oct. 27th edition. I found it a little offending that the story about who's to blame for the financial crisis just asserted that all families use credit cards extensively, spend out of control, and don't save hardly any of their money any more. While that is true fora great number of Americans, I felt that applying it to all of them was offensive.
    My parents taught me to save half of my income, give 10% to the church and do whatever I wanted to with the other 40% from a young age. I believe I have good habits with money, and i am convinced I am not the only one.

October 28, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  40. Derrick

Barack Obama is the best for this country because he has the same idea as Hilary Clinton and MCcain is just another Bush. Bush just wants to keep us at war. Obama wants to change the he will help the country.

October 28, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  41. Alexis!!!!!!!

i think Obama should win because its a big change in history, and we need change. i also think its weird that the break down in our econmy happened just as the elections were arriving...i dont think mccain has that big of a chance in winning because if he gets elected then he is just going to do what bush would do. He wouldnt do anything to help the troops. i also wonder who the troops want as president...

October 28, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  42. Timmy

I think Burack Obama should win because John McCain will give tax breaks to the already rich oil companies, but thankfully Obama will tax them insead of middle class America.

October 28, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  43. Madison

I think that the candidates need to stop focusing on tearing each other down in their commercials, and start focusing on what they're going to do.

October 28, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  44. Peter

I think that Senator McCain is a better solution because he wants to lower taxes like people like my dad, and "Joe the Plumber"!

October 28, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  45. Jovan

I think that both candidates are seriously going overboard with the video game thing and paying a million dollars for advertisements almost each day! Obama and McCain are both good candidates but I think I'm going to go with Obama.

October 28, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  46. Kadir

I feel that Obama and McCain should prove themselves because that's what I look up to in a leader. But in my opinion, I think Obama is the best choice.

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  47. Paul

I think that they do influence people because if people see more and more of the same sicker, they will think that the person might be better to reconsider.

October 29, 2008 at 8:24 am |
  48. Lucas

I think John McCain should be the new president because for one his fast track alternative fuels plan is practical, unlike Obama's which says that in 4 years 10% of emissions will be gone yet somehow by 2050 80% will be down, but if he sticks to schedule he won't even have half of that. Also the video game adds are over the top, I play a lot myself and I'd hate to see Obama's face in one of MY games.

October 29, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  49. Matt

I think Obama will be a better choice for our country because that his plan to lower taxes and get us out of Iraq is great.

October 29, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  50. Ben

I think that Obama should win because the war in Iraq has no point to it and it wouldn't be giving up, but just saving our soldiers lives.

October 29, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  51. Rachel

I think that Mccain should win because he puts are country first. I just think that Obama dosen't have enough experience. That is just from a Republicans point of veiw.

October 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  52. Simon

obama is best. he good for america. i go to mexico in janury. me not like mccain

October 29, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  53. Sophie

Obama is the best choice for our country. He will not only turn our economy around for the better, but also help health care and the environment. I hope he wins the election!

October 29, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  54. Lina

I don't know who i am going to vote for because one of my friend's is voting for Barack Obama and another one of my friend's is voting Jonh McCaine so i don't even think i'm going to vote, and if i do i'll vote blank !!

October 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  55. Valerie

I am definitely supporting John McCain. I think he is better than Obama because he has been in politics more and he has more experience. John McCain also has a good point in healthcare plans. He definitely is trying to get the prices to come down so it can be more affordable for the americans. Obama wants to have everyone sit on their fat behind while the rich go out to do all the work. It's like you have all A's and he has the nerve to take your grade and turn them into all B's so someone else can have all C's to pass! What he is planning to do is an outrage! Even though it may not affect me directly, it hurts me to know that people's hard earned money is going to be taken away from them so it can satisfy someone else who is not willing to go through all the hard work the other person has gone through to get their money and their lifestyle!
    I also think that when people say that McCain will so the same things as Bush is idiotic. Even though they are the same party does NOT mean that they will have the same opinions or the same plans. It really doesn't.
    I also want to say that the war in Iraq is not entirely stupid. It is to help Iraq get back on its own feet. Besides, if we did not go into Iraq the Russians could have gotten control of theiroil reserves.

October 29, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

i think they should count i mean they are fighting for us and we cant count their votes i mean c'mon

October 29, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  57. Sandy

Mccain should win because he has more experience and Obama doesn't have experience at all. I'm for Mccain

October 29, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  58. Jamie

I think that, in fact I KNOW, that John McCain will win it all. I mean look at Bush he in his second race was surely going to lose and then he miraculously won. If Obama wins this country is going to not function as well. Sure the economy is very important but I want to sleep at night knowing that this country is safe then we can worry about the economy.

October 30, 2008 at 9:02 am |
  59. Angelina

In believe that John McCain is the best choice to be the next President. He, has had a lot of experience about how do deal with people over seas, he wants a good education structure for America. His V.P Palin is the soccor mom and knows how the families of America feel about the ecomny and politics... VOTE MCCAIN!!

October 30, 2008 at 10:27 am |
  60. Lacey

To be honest, i can't wait till the month of November is over. Everytime you try to watch TV, you end up watching more commercials of canidates bagging on each other then anything else out there. The other night I actually got extremely angry and went to bed becuase of it. I'm sitting there trying to watch my show, which seem so much short because of the commercial, and these adds come on for each canidate at least once during the program. I gave up on watching TV after that.

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  61. barbara

I agree that people should set up signs to pursuade younger children who are not old enough to vote so that when they become older, they are more involved and understand the concept more.
    im for John McCain! 🙂

October 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |

i think Obama should win, hes got some good ideas that will direct our country down a good path

October 30, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  63. gwen!!!

OBAMA RULZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! HEWS SOO KOOL I DONT EVEN KNO

October 30, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  64. Danielle

If I were able to vote, I would vote John McCain.All the kids in my class are voting for John McCain. I would vote John McCain because, he has better ideas for the country, he has very could ideas for the economy, and more experiene as sent. for the country, i think our country should trust him and vote him for the job.

October 30, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  65. MIranda

Stickers and signs saying vote McCain or vote Obama really dose not do antthing because it is the people's chocie. There should be more signs encouraging people to go out and vote on election day. It is a honor to vote and young americans should excerise their right to vote. If i were able to vote i would vote for John McCain he is perfect for the job. McCain also has more experience then Obama, McCain is more wiser and will be able to make good chocies for this country.

October 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  66. haley

McCain is going to win but it might be obama i dont know yet depends who has the most votes.

October 30, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  67. Amberly

I think that Obama is going to win. but I myself want mcCain to win. if he does win and hopefully he does it will be close.

October 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  68. blake

I think that McCain should win. He is clearly knows more about war strategy that Obama. But people think that Obama’s plan to cut taxes will help them. It won’t, it’ll most likely hurt them. Plus the older you are the more wisdom you have.

October 30, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  69. Kristen

I think that McCain is more suited. I thought that when Obama did that little deal on Monday i think it was that he was being a little bragger. Almost as to say that i have money that you don't so i am going to spend it. There is no way that you should ever do that in the public eye. That is why i am also not a big fan of the celebs either. So that is one of the reasons why i think that McCain is better.

October 30, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  70. Katelyn

I think that McCain should win because he is more experienced and John McCain knows more about how to run this country
    GO MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  71. asshhllee

OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO OBAMA
    McCains strategies and "plans" dont really help us, theyll kill us

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  72. Kristina

I believe that Obama is the best candidate for two reasons. The first is his plan for Iraq. Senator Barack Obama wishes to bring our troops home. He believes that we also need to spend less money in Iraq, and more in Pakistan/Afghanistan. If we follow threw with this we have some peace in Iraq and hopefully capture Al Queda and save our economy in the process. The second reason is his plan for energy is better for the earth and cheaper. Senator Obama wishes to stop using foreign oil and oil in a whole, instead turning to other resources such as solar, wind, and biofuel. Senator Obama is the better candidate because his plan will be most successful.

October 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  73. JASMINE

ok troops are in iraq risking there lifes there votes should automacticcly count before anyone elses should my oldest brother is going to afghanistan if his votes do not count that is disrespect for every man and woman in the armed forces

October 31, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  74. JASMINE

they both suck mcain wants to raise the poor pepoles taxes and obama wants women to be able to kill there babies if they chose thats just wrong i think hillary should have won the demecratic nomminie was not elcted he was selected

October 31, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  75. Juliaa

McCain is such a great guy dont me wrong so is Obama. But McCain has more potential when it comes to War. I am really interested in Politics and i also will debate with anyone who wants to....

October 31, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  76. Juliaa

I agree with JASMINE who says about abortion its just not right....babies should have the chance to live! I know what if its on accident but thats not the babies fault...just if you have to give the baby up for adoption! Think about this next time you see a baby crying!!!

October 31, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  77. Trevor

If I could, I would vote for Ralph Nader, a third party canidate; because of his polices on the enviornment.

October 31, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  78. ashley

If I could vote, I would vote for: BARACK OBAMA!! (: He will help us get out of the economic crisis we're in right now. McCain will just put us right back in the hole, just as George Bush has done. OBAMA! wants to help middle class, there's more than high class:)! ohhh.GO OBAMAA!

October 31, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  79. Eileen

ron paul

November 1, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  80. Noah

I really would like to see Obama win the election but i think that it will be a close call, both canidates have been through a lot in the past year and diserve a break; and one of them is going to get the farthest thing from it. Obama has this and McCain has that but nobody really cares about who wins, I thinkthe people just want to stay up late then get upset. Then they'll do it again in the next 4 years.

November 1, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  81. Mandy

I am a born and raised republican so i believe Sen. John McCain and Gov. Palin are best suited for our country's president and vice president. I do not like Sen. Barack Obama's plans for our nation. Even though I can not vote due to age in my school's mock election on Monday you can guarantee my vote is for John McCain.

November 1, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  82. madisyn

I pick Obama bacause he has a better tax plan... and he wants to take the troops out of irack

November 3, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  83. Allyson

if i was old engought to vote i would so vote for jon mccain becaues he is the best thing for our country ! amd all obama want to do is talke our troops out of warthat we have not won yet

November 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  84. Sophia

I am so sick of hearing and seeing anyhting to do with the election. Every comerciall om Tv is vote for McCain or vote for Obama. Not only the presidential race but for sheriff and for the Senate. I watched one of your previous episodes about how the candidates are putting ads in video games. I think that is cruel because all kids and teens want a break from this mess of election and economy. But I have to say if I were to pick a candidate it would be McCain because he has experience and he is going to give $5,000 to some families for healthcare and he is going to lower taxes. GO MCCAIN!!!!!! GO PALIN!!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 7:45 pm |