.
September 29th, 2008

A Dangerous Game

Part of the reason I never touched illegal drugs:  I was afraid of what my parents would do to me.  The other reason was because I was afraid of what the drugs would do to me.  I knew a couple people who had severe side effects of illegal drug use:  One could barely speak after an overdose, and the other saw shadows wherever he looked.  That was more than enough to keep me clean.

But today's report about teens abusing prescription drugs - the kind a doctor legally prescribes - was pretty surprising.  Aren't there safer ways people can have fun, or to escape from what's bothering them?  And the report, which featured a father who believed he lost his son due to prescription drug abuse, really drove home the point that just because a doctor prescribes certain drugs doesn't mean they're safe for other people to take.

In fact, many prescription drugs aren't safe to combine.  It wasn't too long ago that I had the sad assignment of reporting on Heath Ledger.  Did his death or Tuesday's report have an impact on you?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Tiffany

I know all the bad things that drugs can do to you and I'm scared at first! And I know that when I'm little, I should take drugs. But I think I won't take any drugs even when I can, because that'll do me so much harm! I don't think drugs are good and teenagers should never take drugs! It's best for you if you don't and I'm glad I don't.

September 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Tiffany

Drugs and harm or kill people! When I think about that, I think it's SO NOT worth it to take drugs. Some is illegal and you'll get addicted to it. Here's a word for everyone :

DON'T TAKE DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Tiffany

WARNING TO ALL :

Taking drugs is a game you'll never want to play!

September 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Wayno

Carl -

When I was a young adult, I did a lot of drugs.

What I discovered however, may surprise you. Drugs don't make you happy. Drugs don't make you sad. They make you numb!

That was my attraction to taking drugs: It numbed the pain. But if we never deal with the source, then it all spirals downward.

I have found this quote to be especially true:

"...From the outset, we find ourselves on the prowl, searching to satisfy some inner, unexplained yearning. Our hunger causes us to search for people who will love us.. Our desire for acceptance pressures us to perform for the praise of others. We strive for success, driving our minds and bodies harder and farther, hoping that because of our sweat and sacrifice, others will appreciate us more.

But the man or woman who lives only for the love and attention of others is never satisfied — at least not for long. Despite our efforts, we will never find lasting, fulfilling peace if we have to continually prove ourselves to others. Our desire to be love and accepted is a symptom of a deeper need — the need that often governs our behavior and is the primary source of our emotional pain. Often unrecognized, this is our need for self-worth.”
    (”The Search for Significance Devo”, Robert S. Mc Gee, Rapha Publications, 1992, Day 7, page 16)

Wayno

September 29, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  5. justin

yes it did now that i know more about perscription drug abuse and what it can do to you i will never do not that i planned on doing it anyway but now that i know more i never will

September 30, 2008 at 10:01 am |
  6. Will

Abusing drugs is bad. The people at the pharmacy should ask for the prescription before they give the person the drug.

September 30, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  7. Todd

it is sad that people are abusing even legal drugs these days couldn't you find a different thing to do???

September 30, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  8. Devon D.

Well kinda but it was kinda his fault because he should have known they were drugs. That is why when people offer me that stuff i always read it before taking it if I can.

September 30, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  9. Brandon

Why do people do drug, the only thing that there doing to them self is killing them.

September 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  10. Nick

I think that this is very dumb for kids to do this... If you want to take drugs it is pretty much asking for your life to end.

September 30, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  11. Brian

I think that your right to stay away from drugs like pot. but other people that like drugs is dumb. I will never like drugs or even try drugs for the rest of my life ever.

September 30, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  12. Scott

No because i wouldn't have done that anyways because they can hurt you the same as the illegal ones.

September 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  13. Jordan

Yes, it had a very impact on me. I think it is totally wrong to take prescription drugs to get high. All they do is mess with your mind. I think teens take them to make themselves feel better. NO one should take prescription drugs illegally.

September 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |

I was effected by the death of the teenager. The thought of someone dying should make all teenagers think twice about using prescription drugs. I know I wouldn't use prescription drugs to get high.

September 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  15. Emmett

I feel like there shouldn't be even taking drugs. It's a shame that people make that kind of decision that should be a no brainer type of thing. It should be a no right away. Thats how I feel about the drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  16. Rath

I think taking ANY drugs is stupid. Getting high is just running away from your fears, not facing them.

September 30, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  17. Shawn k

I do know people who take drugs but only for pain thay n but do get hi and i hate it.

September 30, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  18. Tyler

Even though I will never do drugs, now I really wont. That was very stupid to mix prescription drugs. Parents should have a lock to put on a cabinet when they have prescription drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  19. Samantha

The teens shouldn't do drugs because they could die in there teens.Plus they're not going to be able to do a lot of things because there parents are not going to want there children around at all because of what they did.

September 30, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  20. Jessica...❤

I think taking prescription drugs like that is wrong, it shows no respect for your body. I think we should do something about abusing prescription drugs, because every year it seems to get worse and people die.

September 30, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  21. maddison

I think that using prescription drugs is a bad idea. Excpecially is you are mixing them with other people. I think that it is a bad idea because it could really harm or hurt you.

September 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  22. james

t becaues they are not prescribed to youthe whole thing is stupid to me why get stoned u could die from tha

September 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  23. Dylan

I think that prescription drugs are just as bad a marijuana or any other illegal drug. I say that because it still gives you the same effect as them. Like they said on CNN about the kid that died, YOU CAN STILL DIE.

September 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  24. jakob

I think that doing drugs is bad any way you look at it even if they are prescription. The story made me think about how people do that to them self and why would they getting hi is not cool! I will never ever do anything like that. See what happens you die!

September 30, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  25. jalen

What is wrong whit them I'm there age and i have never even thought off doing drugs. They are so pathetic because they need a special feeling of being high after every person in american tells them drugs will kill you or seriously injure you.

September 30, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  26. Christina

I think that drug over douse is one thing,but antenaly doing it is wrong and dumb. Why shorten your life when there is so much still to do in this world.I think that parents should put tabs on there pills and tell them so they will know and probley get scared off from doing it expecally if you give them an example.

September 30, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  27. Lindsey

These days more and more teens are using prescriptions to get high. The teens are thinking that they are better to use than regular drugs like cocane, but there not. Parents should take the time to tell there child not to do things like that, all they do is kill you. Then mabye some teens would stop. I feel that kids using prescription drugs to get high is changing lots of peoples lifes.

September 30, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  28. LeAndra

I do not think it is right for kids to be talking drugs. Because for example you could die from it or it could even or maybe give you some dessed that could kill you or make you really sick. I say do not do drugs its not good for you.

September 30, 2008 at 10:11 am |

I think it as bad cause you don't know what it can do to you!
    Just because the doctor prescribes it to on person doesn't mean it will be safe for you.

September 30, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  30. Tyler

I think that taking prescription drugs is really un smart... STUPID!
    if your gonna take prescription drugs, wouldn't you think about the out come, I mean look around, that kid on cnn student news just died, why would you want to kill yourself to make you look cool or get a small high off of an aspirin.

September 30, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  31. Krista

Well that made me definitely not ever want to take prescription drugs un-directed. You could be risking your life or even an overdoes. Nothing is worth anybody's life I think taking prescription drugs is not very smart.

September 30, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  32. Asia

I think it stupid for kid to do any kind of drug but the reason most of them to it is because perception drugs are easier to get and some kids think there safer but there not all drug are dangers.

September 30, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  33. trent

It's stupid to do drugs if you know you could die.

September 30, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  34. brooke

Heath Ledger's death had a huge impact on me because he was an actor, and I'm sure some people who idolized him were very disappointed, I know I was and I didn't even really know who he was. I always thought drugs were bad, and only low life's used them, I know I never planned on using them, but I didn't think that people with the good life even had a reason to do that sort of thing. So just tell me is it really worth it, because I definitely don't think it is!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

September 30, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  35. Chris

Yes, because this looks bad on us teens. We shouldn't be using our doctors to get high on the drugs. Why don't you just play sports or something to make it so you don't think about it much or something to keep you from doing drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  36. Katie

It didn't really have an effect on me because i have never even thought about using drugs and I never will but the death of Heath Ledger was sad and even sadder that he died of drug abuse.

September 30, 2008 at 10:59 am |
  37. Jacob

It made me think of the drugs we use everyday can actually kill you. I had always known about it nut I had never heard the name of a prescription drug abuser who died. It makes me think that every time we take a pain killer, we could accidentally overdose and die.

September 30, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  38. gunnar

no because I Already knew about the situation with the prescription drugs. So today it gave me more information about about it but I really already knew about it.

September 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  39. Katey

The report did have an impact on me because that's just plain stupid! What sane person would take some medicine that belongs to their friends, and risk their own lives? I wouldn't! I don't even like being high! It feels, as my father says all the time, "oogie." Either way, the report did have an impact on me.

September 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  40. Jasmine

No, because Heath Ledger doesn't really concern me, it's not like I'm acquainted with him. And the selection we watched today also was nothing new to me because I have been hearing about this stuff for a while. I know the affects and I wasn't surprised at all. So all this stuff really didn't have a big impact on me.

September 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  41. Alissa

I think that people who do drugs should all be over the counter. that way less people wont do drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  42. Geordan

I think that prescription drugs are even worse than pot or meth. If you take prescription drugs and its your prescription your ok as long as you don't go over board. When you take them you should wonder if you will die. So I think this is serously impact all of our lives.

September 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  43. summer

i agree. I just turned fourteen and have never touched an illegal drug i'm my life. My neighbor told me about his friend that took some acid, he had severe side affects. someone would touch him and he would say '"don't touch me, you'll spill me"' he thought he was a glass of orange juice. prescription or illegal drugs are neither good for you . so instead of getting drug high get exercise high....................lol

September 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  44. Alayna

Well I know that I would never do illegal drugs. This is because I'm to involved in our schools sport so I know that doing that would ruin my sports career.

September 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  45. Sarah

Yes, the report today had a big impact on me! Being a teenager in a school with lots of other teenagers, it is a very big deal to me... the scariest thing is that prescription drugs are very common. Almost everyone has them in their homes, so they are one of the easiest drugs to access! This is way too big of a problem in America. It was said that they are just as dangerous as street drugs, especially when they are mixed together, except so much more easy to get!

September 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  46. amber

It had a big impact on me because I wouldn't want to die or I wouldn't want anyone to die. Nobody should want to overdose on prescription drugs or any drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  47. Alexa

I think that using prescription drugs is a really, really bad to do. It didn't really have an impact on me, because I am never going to use prescription drugs badly, and I don't really know anyone close that does. It would impact me, if I knew somebody that does that and needs help. I think that teens are only doing this because they know that it's better to use prescription drugs than to use illegal drugs, but hate to tell you its bad to use it both ways as an overdose.

September 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  48. Marissa

It does have an impact on me. Abuse of drugs need to be stop. People should not be taking drugs for fun or to get rid of there problems. The only time I think that it wouldn't be there fult if they took drugs at the same time on accident. It made me think that I need to be careful of what I take and when. We learn from others mistakes.

September 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  49. Adam

I don't like it when people die. Especially when it's because of illegal drugs. I'd probably be as depressed as Heaths father if my son (or daughter) died because of drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  50. Mckenzie

If you take an overdose on perscription drugs then you must want to die because then you will get immune to the drug and then you'll want to take the drug all the time. Then when you run out there won't be any more of the drug and you will go mad. Heath Ledgers death did mnot effect me in anyway because that was his fault that he took an overdose. Plus if the boy that mixed an overdose on prescription drugs and cold medicine he must have not been wise enough to know that he was slowley killing himself but he took to much and died.

September 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  51. Wyatt

I would never do drugs no matter how much someone gave me. I mean look at people who have done drugs in sports and look where they ended up.

September 30, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  52. Olivia

I think that it's ridiculous for people to take prescription drugs that aren't their own. There are much safer ways to deal with stress or other problems. The other reason that people take them is to fit in... But the way i see it is, if you want to fit in with someone then fit in with people that aren't going to make do things that you know are wrong. Peer pressure can be very very destructive to teenagers. That's why I think that all parents should take inventory and count how many pills they have.... just to be safe. I know that most parents don't want to even imagine that their children would do something like take drugs but you never know anymore.... I'm sure they would rather catch them early so they can help their children get over their problems before it becomes too late.....

September 30, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  53. Susie

When i heard that heath ledger died i was really upset. I had a big impact on me because anyone could be mixing and using prescription drugs and having an overdose. I wish that H.L. didn't die because i wanted to see more of his work. He was an amazing actor. R.I.P. Heath Ledger.

September 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  54. Xitlali

I think both drugs are bad PERIOD. Instead of use teenage people take medicine it should be our parnets that should give us the medicine or a reasponsiable grownup.. I think people should learn from the death of a the boy that took a mixture of drugs

September 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  55. Allison

Prescription drug abuse is too serious to deny and I think the ratio of drug abusing teens is way too high and absolutely ridiculous. What I don't understand is how teens or anyone for that matter can overdose on drugs and cough syrup. I can't even drink the nasty substance when I'm sick and it could help me let alone over dose on the thick syrupy liquid. YUCK!!! As for Heath Ledger, I don't really know who he is but I will remember him because of his use of prescription drugs. I always remember those people as examples of how a wonderful life can go perfectly well and go completely wrong or even end because of prescription drug abuse. It is very sad and fells like a nightmare when it is a devastating reality. Stay away from drugs and live above the influence. Best wishes!!

September 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  56. Kyler

I think that combining prescription drugs is bad for the body. The kid showed me that doing this is deadly. I will never think about taking more than the amount I'm suppose to.

September 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |

Yes. Because people should be more carful on what they do. This is what happens you do an over dosage. What people should do is make a certain kind of machine that tells you how much drugs are in the pills or in the liquid medicine. People also need to start leaving their parents medicine alone to because they are going to kill thereself and they wouldn't want to die like that. At least I wouldn't want to die like that. You would want to leave them alone and you would love the fact that you made a good choice to not kill yourself with an over dosage. Also if you do take an over dosage and you still didn't yeah then you should play a sport to get that stuff out of your body and make yoursekf healthy again and you wouldn't have to worry.

September 30, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  58. ~Sarah~

The kids death and the report had a big impact on me. I would not want to die from using prescription drugs so i would not overdose. I will only take the right amount of medicine. Also i would try to help my friends so they don't overdose and die. If they were to overdose then i would be sad for the rest of my life and blame myself. The kids death and report had a big impact on me.

September 30, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  59. Dana

I'm glad someone is spreading the word. I know people that probably aren't aware the effect of prescription drugs. I've already decided never to use prescription drugs illegally, but I know people who might not be aware of this. It can affect me even if I'm not doing it, because I'd hate to see the people I care about getting high. I hope they decide never to do it, just like I have.

September 30, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  60. Veronica

Heath Ledger's death had an impact on me for many reasons. The main reason it had an impact on me was because after hearing that somebody died of an overdose I knew to never do drugs. Not that I was going to, but it helped me more. It's always really depressing when someone dies of drugs so who ever is reading this NEVER DO DRUGS!

September 30, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  61. mariah

The blog has an impact on me it makes me not want to drugs i never wanted to do drugs in the first place. if you play sports it will effect you in that and it will effect you in many other ways in and out your life.

September 30, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  62. Catherine

In my opinion todays topic about drugs are bad even proscription medicine is bad for you if you don't use them right. You could die from not using them right.

September 30, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  63. Kelsey

The Tuesday report and Heath Ledger's death had an impact on me. Every time I hear about someone abusing drugs it just think what could be going through their minds when they take a drug. It's so sad that all these teens are doing stupid stuff to take their problems away when there are many healthier ways to feel better. These teens have to realize that they can die from this, it is a very deadly addiction.

September 30, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  64. Rene

I choose not to use my real name for personal reasons

I know first hand the things that drugs do to people. I myself used to do countless amounts of illegal substances. In truth I have probable done everything in the book at least once.

I have stopped using, and trust me it was hard… But its that cost that makes the true difference in my story.
    Several years ago, I was whiteness to the death of a friend while high on drugs. He was shooting up on heroine and I was smoking marijuana.
    While shooting, my friend overdosed and died while I (in a high stupor) sat there and laughed at him.

The sadness felt when I came to my senses and remembered flashes of what happen was indescribable.
    Needless to say It should take something less impacting to turn someone’s life around, but that was my price. I wish I could convince all teens abusing drugs to stop before something as bad, or worse, happens to them but I know how hard it is to quite, and I know how the drugs control your life.

I do hope others posting here read this and can empathize with all the people out there having problems. And I kind of hope that this is read on CNN student news to give hope or enlightenment for all the kids who hear it.

September 30, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  65. Tyler

Both his death and the report had an impact on me, althought i personally know that doing such things is wrong.

Yay first Post!

September 30, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  66. chad

yes, because as a kid i am open to try new things and i have never done drugs but iam sure someone could talk me in to it. and i would not want anyone to maby one day kill me.

September 30, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  67. melissa

yes, you shouldnt use any person prescription medicane because you doesnt know what it contain of. If its your friend you still should be careful because you dont know if they are tricking you in a way, and try to take only what a docter provide for you or your parents.

September 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  68. Austin

I can not believe that teens are using medicine to get high it stinks.That rhino thing was funny though I love the BEFORE WE GO items on the news well see ya.

September 30, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  69. chase

One time me and my cousin were having a camp fire and we saw two kids smoking drugs. AND THE NEXT DAY HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.

September 30, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  70. Joshua

I think teens should stop abusing any drugs and the should just go outside to play

September 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  71. chaise

i think that what they are doing with prescription drugs is right they should be banned from all over the world.

September 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  72. James

i think its kinda domb the way teens just pop pills like that they should look how crappy other peoples familys ar after they loose a kid from that stuff

September 30, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  73. Danielle

I can't believe that teens are abusing drugs like that you would think that they would be more mature enough to not do that. I guess if parents have to then they need to put them up where they can't reach them.

September 30, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  74. chaise

If teens are just using it to get high the question is why do you think that it will make u feel good about yourself other than just killing u because that will come first

September 30, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  75. Seth

It is really sad that people think that prescription drugs are safe just because they are prescribed to you. I will not ever try drugs or overdose on prescription drugs.

September 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  76. Brennan

Taking any sort of drugs is just stupid. Why would you do that sort of stuff to relive stress when you could get into sports like football and get it out by working hard to be the best, not to mention that you get to hit people with pads.Also if you want to get rid of stress get involved with school stuff like Youth in Government or any sort of sport.

September 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  77. Ridge

you should say no to drugs especially if they're illegal or not prescibed to you because if they were ment for you to have they would make you better you , not make you worse health wise and get you addicted and kill your brain cells and make you hullusinate

September 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  78. LayLa

I would never do drugs period. I would really afraid of messing something up in my body,and me thinking about what my parents would do to me i would be grounded for about a month or more.I know drugs are really bad for you to we had to watch a video about it and there scary things.

September 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  79. Mckenna

I would never even think about doing any kind of drugs my parents would kill me. I would be hurting my body in all kinds of ways.
    I think parents need to step up and start talking to their teens. And even in school to the teachers should go over with students how drugs of any kind can affect your body and may even kill you.

September 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  80. Benjamin

everyone takes them they just have to stop or else they will die or go to jail for taking them.

September 30, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  81. ilee

i think that is a bad thing to do is abruse drugs and take them for no reson it is not good thing to get high off it should be use to make you better. teenagers should not do drugs because it messes with there head and there body nerves kids should try begin active and make sure that they get check ups weekly or monthly.

September 30, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  82. Logan

I think it is terrible that some people would take medicine and drink it until they die that's low!I could not imagine some ones life getting so bad that they decitied to look in the medicine cabinet and just drink the whole bottle.

September 30, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  83. Damon

It is wrong to abuse drugs and if you tack certain drugs with other drugs you mint knead you can die. that is how the mans son did.

September 30, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  84. Melinda

I don't agree that prescription drugs are safer to use AS DRUGS!
    I mean there better than illegal drugs because they are prescribed, but when you abuse the fact that there helping you, its just not right. I think these teens need to meet some of the families that have suffered from a death in their family by overdosage. If they seen what those families are going through they would probably want to change their mind because thats what their love ones would be going through!

September 30, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  85. *Alisha*

Doing Drugs Is Very Bad And I Know What It's Like To Do Them And They Mess With Your Head And Makes People Do Stupid Stuff

September 30, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  86. *Alisha*

Doing Drugs Is Very Bad And I Know What It's Like To Do Them And They Mess With Your Head And Makes People Do Stupid Stuff And Do Murders And All Kinds Of Crimes

September 30, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  87. Esea

I think that they should know better, but I also think that teens' parents should talk to them about things like that.

September 30, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  88. Sean

Carl, doing drugs is bad. It doesn`t matter if they are prescription drugs or illegal street drugs.Hey, and I have a question for you. My class has been wondering if you like potatoes.Please put this on tommorow`s CNN Student News,because my class watches it every day,

YOUR MY BIGGEST FAN CARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 30, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  89. Zack

Good for that Dad. he is doing the right thing and making a stand to drugs, even perscriptions. An average Mom and Dad will say "oh my little boy would never do drugs." Reality Check. 20% of teenagers do drugs. We must make a stand and change and lower this percantage. I am proud of that dad in Oklahoma. He will get noticed for what he is doing for a community. We need a guy like that in every community.

September 30, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  90. Sara

I just don't understand why some of my peers are taking Prescription Drugs. Why does THAT sound like fun? I'm really glad you touched on this Carl because it can be so easy for teens to just take the pills. But with the side effect of DEATH on the line I hope many will reconsider. Just thinking about how each death hurts a family and a community and how that person could have done something completely different with their life brings tears to my eyes. 😦

September 30, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  91. Sabrina

Why would kids even want to do drugs I'm sure it makes them feel good, but I'm just as sure they know the consiquenses.

October 1, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  92. Collin

Hi I'm Collin. When I saw that epesoad about drugs I thought about crak not tylinoie. For people that are doing this stop and think "this can hurt me so NO." Don't abuse drugs it is bad and it can ruin your life. abuseing over the counter medicine. Can be the same as using drugs.

October 1, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  93. bryce

the people who use drugs need to stop, they can get hurt in many ways and ever die.even though your using over the counter drugs, people still use them way to much and still get addicted

October 1, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  94. emily

I think that the schools should keep the top student name because it is a good competition for the students. To some students it is a big deal so they should keep the valedictorian name.

October 1, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  95. Lukas

this is stupid now kids are getting into their parents prescription drugs... i mean i knew this was going on however this is just STUPID!

DO NOT DO DRUGS... THEY WILL KILL YOU

October 1, 2008 at 7:37 pm |

Why wuld yo want to give up your life for pills. NOT SMART!!

October 1, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  97. miranda

i think that parents should be much more muchore and count their perscription drugs and others every day and should lock them uder key and put the in and safe place they can not find it

October 1, 2008 at 11:06 pm |

prescription drug use really isn't as big of a deal as people are making it. Are they going to legal drugs illegal now? There's no way to stop it so why dont people spend their time trying to stop the illegal drug traffic instead of trying to stop a problem that isn't going to stop no matter what happens. Try to take away a crazy persons prescriptions and see what happens...

October 2, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  99. Xander

As long as there is something for kids to get high off of, kids will abuse it, its inevitable. Sure its partially the parents fault for ignoring or not monitoring their children but, no amount of cautioning, or warning will ever stop kids from taking drugs.

October 2, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  100. kate

who would want to do drugs it is discusting 😦

October 2, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  101. heidi

Drugs are a horrible thing to do and i really wonder what people do them for??????????????????????????????????????????

October 2, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  102. Nick

drugs are bad for you but poele yet still do them and they know what happens they are stupid

October 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  103. Nick

DONT DO DRUGS THEY KILL BUT YOU CAN DO THEM I F YOU LIKE ITS YOUR CHOICE

October 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  104. Nick

DRUGS WILL KILL YOU BUT IT YOUR CHOICE TO DO THAT OR NOT

October 3, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  105. CASSIDY

WHO IS DUMB ENOUGH TO DO DRUGS? ALSO IF YOU NKNOW SOMEONE DOING THEM,HELP THEN GET OFF IT,BECAUSE ONCE YOU START ITS HARD TO QUIT.

October 3, 2008 at 8:41 pm |
  106. Ben

This will make me never take a single drug unless it is life needed i will never ever touck a single drug:) !

October 5, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  107. Azaan

You are right I agree with you. Drugs are bad and they can kill you. You're we should'nt take drugs and the whole world should'nt too.

October 6, 2008 at 9:50 am |
  108. Kelsee

Drugs are not smart to do because they can kill you and they get you into trouble with them if you get cough with them and if you do them then you should take the bad things that come out of it so do it if you are dumb enough to do it.

October 6, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  109. Destiny

I wouldn't take drugs thats bad for you.I wonder why you took the drugs?

October 6, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  110. Adam

I wonder why people are doing illegal drugs. I will never do or touch a single drug as long as I live. It is very bad for you. It is not a good thing to do in life.

October 6, 2008 at 10:24 am |
  111. Ryan

This is important because no one else wants to be blind or even die. good thing no one in my family takes drugs. I would be verry angry at them.

October 6, 2008 at 10:28 am |
  112. Courtney

I wonder why people even consitter doing illigal drugs anyway. I will never take drugs except for medician. I wouldn't want to do anything like that to myself, my lungs would go bad. Even if my friend were doing drugs i would try to convince them not to. Thats what i would do!

October 6, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  113. Michael

I can relate to what you said in the beginning paragraph about how you didn't know what your parents would do to you. I feel the same way. in my opinion drugs are for losers.my mother and father have allways told me not to do drugs because they ruine your life and i am a football player for the and im gonna try to get a scholarship to texas so i can play for the longhorns there football team. What i was trying to say was that i dont now how mad they would get but i wouldnt do that to them because they have trained me to make the right choices and to never hang out with a bad group of people. Thanks mom and dad for making me the person who im gonna be when I get older.

October 6, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  114. ally

I think it is upsetting that people would use something good (prescription drugs) for something so bad. There are much better ways to have fun or not be bored. Go to a playground, skate park, or to to the movies. Or even ride your bike.That's much better and safer than taking a drug.

October 6, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  115. Dhara

I know all the bad things that drugs can do to you...drugs are bad, never do drugs and don't let anybody else do durgs and if you can't stop them from taking drugs then put up an act to help them, sometimes it's best to do something wrong to do something right.That's what i think.

October 6, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  116. Scott

I wonder why people at the age of 13 and up should try drugs. One they will make you sick two they could Affect your lungs. I hope no one else trys to take drugs. I also think this blog is a good blog and i Agree the people shouldn't take drugs.

October 6, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  117. Nicholas

When Heath Ledger died, I was worried about the new Batman movie.
    Never mind that. I think that too many celebrities like Mr.Ledger have died from prescription drug abuse. It really bothers me.

October 6, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  118. Jeff

I wonder why people make drugs. It only makes trouble. I can't believe that drugs can kill you. If people didn't buy drugs people wouldn't make money. So people now do drugs .People die or they get drunk.

October 6, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  119. Jake

I think drugs were made for money.Or just they are made for people that want to get drunk.parents should lock up the medicine cabinet.

October 6, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  120. alexi

kids should play instead of do drugs.

October 6, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  121. Charlotte

It was a very sad report! There are much better things to do then hurt yourself with these powerful things. They can really affect your body in ways that are everything but good. Parents should watch over their child if they think that they would want to harm themselves with a perscription drug. I am not blamming the father who lost his child at all! It wasn't the father's falt. He thought that he could trust his son, and what his does.

October 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  122. Shefin

This makes me think of my uncle he used to use lots of drugs. I really didn't like what he was doing because they arn't good for people. I was really feeling scared about it.. I hope he isn't still using drugs.

October 7, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  123. Hunter

I don't undersand why kids are starting to do drugs.They will kill people that take them. You shoud not take drugs!

October 7, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  124. Kush

I really agree that drugs are dangerous and I also know this guy who used to take drugs. He got addicted to it. I wonder why people even made drugs if it's bad. This is important because if a lot of peole start taking drugs the U.S. popution will go down. There is a lot of things that can damage your body or your health. I wish I could understand why drugs can make so weird and its really bad. If I could interview someone about this topic I would pose this question: What is in drugs that once a person takes it that person becomes addicted to it? NEVER TAKE DRUGS, PLEASE!!!

October 7, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  125. Jerry

I wonder why people do drugs because it is not safe . It can kill you and I know people do not wanna die. I wish people stop doing drugs so they can be safe. I wish I could understand why people do drugs . Well for all those people that did drugs that are viewing this that are in the hospital i wish you all well.

October 7, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  126. Rommel

I don't understand why people take drugs. There should be a sign in stores that says NO DRUGS FOR PEOPLE at all! I wrote this comment because I care about other people's safety. I wonder why people take drugs.

October 7, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  127. Kristina

I wish I understood why people would play this game. It's very bad for your lungs.Everytime you do it, it shortens your life.People who do this should just stop and think what they're doing,and what they are doing to their life.

October 8, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  128. Frank

This is important because drugs are very abused by many people. I am proud that you didn't abuse the drugs like some people may. It is important that you make good choises like that for the rest of your life, some you may not do right, some you may choose carfully and wisley, but it pays off as a great life in the end.

October 8, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  129. Zarfo

well i would never do drugs kids need hugsnot drugs!!!

October 8, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  130. Cody

Common sense answers these problems. common sense tells me if I don't know ask someone who does. Also, common sense tells me I've seen this bfore, don't do it yourself.

October 9, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  131. Travis

i dont think you should abuse any type of drugs, whether its prescription or narcotic. i think doctors should check if the person there prescribing the drug to has a record with substance abuse. i dont see the whole point of even taking them. there basically risking their life just to get a short rush. it seems pointless.

October 13, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  132. Brandon

I'm never going to do drugs when I grow up because I know that they can do bad things to you. Drugs are bad!

October 14, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  133. Brittany

Drugs are a disgusting thing that people take because they're practicly asking for they're life to end. Never will i do any type of drugs. I think its something you could get addicted to easilly. No one I know takes drugs and im glad. 🙂 smile fo the people who are smart enough to not take drugs. 😦 frown for the people who are not

October 14, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  134. Gimme

I think that drug abuse is the worst possible thing ever to do to yourself. The report made me think of all the other side affects that could happen to you. Once you get that feeling to not take what is right in front of you, follow that feeling, No matter what.

October 14, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  135. Jeshua

I think you are right do not take drugs you will waste money and then you will end up with nothing.You will also be doing a dangerous thing if you over dose it can kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 14, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  136. Leo

I wish your friend never started with drugs. why did your friend start with drugs? I think he or she should stop with drugs.

October 14, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  137. Annabella

I was reminded that I should not take drugs.There bad for you and they can also kill you.Im never going to take drugs in my life!!!!!!!!!!!I think that people how takes drugs should not. People sometimes get addicted.

October 14, 2008 at 11:50 am |
  138. Aida

I would never take any drugs because they hurt your lungs. You should't take drugs. Not even if your friends tell you to.Or dare you to.This is important because if you would ever take any drugs you would end up in the hospital.And your parents would not except.

October 14, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  139. Scuba Steve

I got some info. DON'T DO DRUGS PERIOD. TAKE MY ADVICE

October 14, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  140. Elizabeth

YES it made me realize that some things are put here to help us not to kill us soDONT DO DRUGS lol

October 14, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  141. Danielle

That is sooooooooooooo sad!!!! It is really horrible that people do that to themselves!!! And sometimes, it isn't even their fault!!! What a horrible way to die!!!

October 15, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  142. dan

if you do drugs when you're a kid or do underage drinking, it will pretty much lead you to a horrible hurtful life and you feel so tortured and miserable and it can also lead to death! its very sad what can happen so just dont do unless you want a one way ticket to having your life spiral downwards!

October 15, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  143. JOEY

Drugs are bad for you they can mess with your head your body probaly even send you to the hospital and kill you. You do not want to hear your death day

October 16, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  144. Jennifer

what is the point of illegall drugs they only destroy your body.when the doctor gives YOU medicine you should not be sharing.there might be something tin the medicine that was ment for your type of pain or maybe you have the blood type diffrent or something else diffrent than the person that you might want to share with.

October 16, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  145. brenda

Drugs are a disgusting thing that people take because they’re practicly asking for they’re life to end the story is really intersting i could realate to that story i was also afraid to use drugs i was scared if some thing were to happen to me my family would be really upset and sad i would feel bad . i saw my brother in the hospital almost dieing because of drugs and any one could get them and people have offerd me drugs but im scared that something bad might happen to me and ill never see my family again . if my brother would have died because of drugs i dont know what i will do . i feel bad for the dad that lost his son .if you do drugs when you’re a kid or do underage drinking, it will pretty much lead you to a horrible hurtful life and you feel so tortured and miserable and it can also lead to death! its very sad what can happen so just dont do unless you want a one way ticket to having your life spiral downwards!

October 16, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  146. Sarah

DRUGS.. The word is so frightening.
    But many people take them. And it doesn't stop. It probably won't ever stop but, there's so many addicted to them. I feel so sorry for them. They're slowly commiting suicide. Setting up a show for all to see. No one can help at all but to watch what happens. It's barbaric! Some sort of deathgame, no one stands through it. The poor family members, they're watching a loved one go down. And I know what it feels like. It's so wrong. They should completely destroy the products. Drugs are even ruining the music. The sound. Musicians are dying from it. If they can do that to music let me ask you, What other things could they ruin?

October 18, 2008 at 9:49 am |
  147. zach

Whoever is taking those perscriptions doesn't know about the dangers of drugs. Especially heroin.

October 25, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  148. Nicole

Drugs have been a big problem in my life, all of my friends have tried them. I do believe I can have fun without drugs in my life. Everywhere I go their are drugs, but I've never tried them and i'm proud. I feel unique and different and that's the best feeling in the world. I've realized that people take them to take away stress, i'm a very stressful girl, but i'm not to the point where I just want to hurt my self in long-term and in short-term. Oh no way Jose! People think everybody (teachers, parents, consulers, etc.) just convinces kids to not try drugs by saying it's addicting. It is addicting, you will loose friends and you will loose trust. We only get to live as kids once, lets make it worthwhile. The time will come, stop trying to grow up, and just have fun! [without drugs] 🙂

February 20, 2009 at 2:50 am |