.
September 18th, 2008

How's Your Main Street?

I am the curriculum writer for CNN Student News. I've been following the news this week, and it seems to me that a lot of people who know a whole lot more than I do about the economy are getting skittish with the way it's working out. I hear a lot of people on both sides talking about how the candidates will handle this economic situation, and I'm not sure what to think. But on the other hand, I'm living a pretty decent middle class life, I took my kid to the baseball game last night (my team won) and my wife and I are planning our holidays and vacations. So, while Wall Street is anxious, my Main Street is doing OK for now. What I want to know, economy or otherwise, what's on your mind, down in your Main Street?

John Martin, CNN Student News Curriculum Writer

Filed under: Feedback

On my main street everything is fine, although I am a little worried about Wall Street at the same time.

September 18, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  2. Tiffany

What's a Main Street ?

September 19, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  3. Sara

My Main-Street is Crunching smaller and smaller. But, what I'd like to know is where is the Fedral Reserve getting all this bail-out money from? I thought out country was in debt and the economy was in trouble? If that's true where did we get 85 BILLION dollars to bail out AIG?
    CONFUSED?? Yes! 😛

September 19, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  4. Luci

How will it help anyone if the grading system is changed? It will only allow kids to slack and it will teach them that think that it's ok to do so!
    If you ask these Dalas kids what they think about this, they will probably say they "like it" but when they are older and they have no sense of responsibility or self reliance, they will regret the choices THEIR PARENTS and THEIR TEACHERS, the people who are supposed to be looking out for their best interests, clearly DID NOT!!!!

September 19, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  5. Lane

My Main Street is O.K. there are some ups and downs. My parents are getting woried about their money in the bank and if it is gaining anything or not.

September 21, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  6. Kelsee

are main streets are good there not that bad theres not that much bad things going on here.

September 22, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  7. Chris

I think that this is not fair to any students around the world because of the way the rest of the world does things and now trhe way dallas does things

September 22, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  8. Elizabeth

My main street is doing fine. The gas prices are causing a lot of stress however, that is the main thing people are talking about. I know Wall street is going through a lot and that is affecting many people, but my main street is still stable and going good.

September 22, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  9. Brett

I think we need change, and lots of it. Just like what Che Obama wants, nickles, quarters, pennys, dimes and half dollers.

September 22, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  10. Merkin

I have stocks in a few companys like Kelogs and they haven't sent me any bad anulay reports so wall street is doing okay on my part. If hasn't affected my family at all so al lthis big news may be affecting other people than middle class. In my own opinion i think it might be affecting wealthy people more because they can afford stocks in these big corperations.

September 22, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  11. Katie

My Main Street is okay for he most part. A lot of people want to sell their houses though so it's kind of hard, but nothing we can't handle. What I'm more worried about is the way the U.S. Is handing out money. Where in the heck of it did we get all the money Bush is giving to the banks. $700 billion were did that come from last I checked we were in debt. Were all the sudden did we get all this money. Heck an average American won't se that much cash in a lifetime let alone at one time

September 22, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  12. jalen

I believe that they should give the money to them but way less like 200 billion. Another one of my thoughts is they could give them all the money as long as we pull the troops out because then we would have more money to spend.

September 23, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  13. Alayna

Let me put it this way, we are not as good as before(don't buy as much) but we are doing a lot better than most other people.

September 23, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  14. summer

things in my main street are good. I mean we are a little short on money. Due to gas prices my pocket is a little more empty,my parents wont take me much anywhere. life isn't the greatest peachy keen but its still in my hood. we were going to go up north but with gas prices mad this bad,we'll get through.

September 23, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  15. Geordan

On my main street is fine except for ambilances and police and all that stuff is going by but it is all good. It is nice and quiet out where I live. So all is good. Every thing seems to be the same around the house.

September 23, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  16. Katie

My main street is fine but the gas prices are really bad so you can't go like all over the place to much. The economy isn't really effecting me besides the gas prices for my parents and stuff and i don't go shopping as much like my family used to.

September 23, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  17. Katey

My mainstreet's a little hectic. The only thing that's really the problem is the gas prices. If it keeps going up, my dad's gonna end up going to work on a bicycle! Everything else is doing ok. Except for gas. That's bad.

September 23, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  18. Susie

Things have changed because of our bad economy.
    Me and my family used to take trips to South Africa all the time.
    Now, we only get to visit them every once in a while. I think that if the gas prices were not so high that we could visit them more often.

September 23, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  19. Wyatt

My main street is pretty good for now. The gas prices are a little high but other than that were pretty good. But im a little worried about wall street because the stock market is not doing as please as well

September 23, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  20. Jacob

My Main street is doing great. My family is starting a bit of farming, almost have all our bills paid, and doing great as far as everything else. I really think that Bush shouldn't be giving the banks that much money. It would help a little but if the economy recovered, we would be giving the banks money for nothing. We should wait for at least another 3 months or so to see if they REALLY need it. When I say that I don't mean in a bad way, I mean how badly they need it.

September 23, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  21. Xitlali

Wow, my main street is so so. gas prices are killing me now I can't go any where unless its really close. I can't go anywhere with out worrying about gas and gas prices.

September 23, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  22. Marissa

It is effecting me because we have are house up for sale. My dad who was not to long ago buying everything and anything but now even he is facing troubled times when it comes to paying for things. Something needs to happen and it needs to happen quit or we are going to have another great depression!!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  23. Chris

My main street is pretty bad because my parents don't have as much money to go out and eat as a family or to go a lot of places because of gas prices and the price of food. My main street is bad because my family doesn't go to visit family for gas prices and we don't spend a lot of time out of the house. My family doesn't go to water parks or Cedar Point, because my parents are too busy paying bills and paying $80.00 every time they go to the gas station.

September 23, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  24. Mckenzie

I think it depends on who gets elected to be president if they will fix the economy . Plus It is not good because Prisident Bush is going out of office leaving the economy and everybody else in a bad spot. Plus he is using the tax money that our parents pay to do this bail out thing. I think that he should not do that

September 23, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  25. Sydney

My main street is doing okay. My family and I still go food shopping out of town. But, We only go food shopping every 2 weeks instead of every week. Somethings have changed a little more like we don't go out to eat that much anymore and sometimes we just stay home on the weekend instead of go places all the time. My concern is Wall Street and how it can effect us in the future!

September 23, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  26. Veronica

By now I think our economy is getting worse. Right now the economy is effecting me because gas prices are going up. As gas prices go up more and more people buy fuel efficient cars which are regularly foreign. When the U.S.A. buys foreign cars all of our money goes somewhere else and our economy gets worse yet. Personally, I probably won't end up going to Cedar Point because getting there and staying for two days ends up being over $1000.

September 23, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  27. Alexa

The economy going bad, does effect me. We used to go shopping every Saturday or Sunday, but we don't do that anymore because of gas prices instead my mom and dad goes shopping on their way back from work that way they don't waste as much gas, and we don't go on many vacations as we used to, because everything is getting very expensive on everything exspecially gas prices. Plus many stores around here are closing because everything is getting way to expensive. The economy and main street are going bad.

September 23, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  28. Jasmine

On my main street things are going okay I guess. I mean gas prices are getting higher so some of the things we used to do we don't do as much. Like shopping, we don't travel as for as we previously used to because it cost more to drive to say Hollister that to buy clothing there. But hopefully things will get better for all of us.

September 23, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  29. Kelsey

Our economy is not doing so good, but it isn't affecting my life that much. The only thing that the I'm affected by mostly is with the gas prices going up. My family doesn't go to town as much as we used to. Also we used to try to go on vacation almost every year or every other year, and luckly we got to this year but instead of taking our van to go to kentucky we took our car and there was 5 of us. Also with job situations, my mom lost her job and couldn't get another job for about a year. Thankfully she is back to work and for the most part we are doing well.

September 23, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  30. amber

The economy for me is bad. For example, gas prices are too high. If I wanted to go somewhere I would probably have to walk there because gas is too high. Me and my parents were going to go to Missouri for the summer and we were going to drive there but the gas prices were too high and in Missouri the gas prices were about $4.50.

September 23, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  31. Seth

On my main street everything is doing fine from my point of view, I mean sure the price of gas is going up but we don't have any businesses shutting down around here. Some changes that are occurring are we got a permanent camping site instead of traveling all around the country now but this is just as fun. We don't go to Meijers or Wall mart as often now because of the price of gas so we just shop locally.

September 23, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  32. Alissa

My main street is good. There are stores witch the prices go up every day at least 10 cents. not many cars drive because of the gas prices people are moving place to place to get money to live.

September 23, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  33. gunnar

OOOOON my main street umm well i guess it is okay I mean we still take vacations just that gas prices are so high that we don't have the money to do anything anymore. But we still go shopping every friday that is what i hate unless it is for me like sports stores or video games.

September 23, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  34. Kyler

I guess that it's not really effecting me. Me,my two brothers,my uncle and cousin, and my grandpa went to kalamazoo. We had to go get tux's for my aunts wedding.

September 23, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  35. ~Sarah~

The economy is quite effective on me. With the gas prices to high, we don't get to do the stuff we used to. I used to be able to go to a friends, or cousin's house when i want to but since gas prices went up the time i get to spend with the went down. Also we don't take as many events as we used to. I wish Gas prices never went up so i could still do the stuff i used to.

September 23, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  36. Allison

Everything in my life and my main street is doing just fine except for the gas prices. Just like everywhere else, gas prices are ridiculous. We still travel to nearby grocer services but with everything else like gas prices, I don,t know if we can do this kind of thing much longer. Being 13 years old, I find it kind of scary to think that in a few years I may have to deal with the sky-high gas prices as well or even wish we have the gas prices we have now. Right now though, I am not that worried because both of my parents are smart when it comes to these types of situations and I can trust them too handle the situation appropriately. Have a nice day everyone and keep the faith in the United States!!

September 23, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  37. mariah

down my main street nothing really happens there but we didn't go on vacation this year because they tear up the roads and everything. but that is not the reason i suppose but there has been people moving in and people moving out all the time it seems like we are losing population but were losing people and then we get people back. it's really confusing. but i think that are economy is really messed up. but i've lived here for my whole life.

September 23, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  38. Catherine

It isn't really helping me or not and on my Main St. it is still the same busy and boring like always.

September 23, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  39. Sarah

In our neck of the woods, everything seems to be going alright. Our schools are evolving, giving the students more opportunities to learn. The gas prices make my family have to literally plan our trips out of town, though. My family owns a store, so we try to shop locally all we can to help our economy, and I look around to see others doing the same. This is helping our economy, making our " Main Street" healthy.

September 23, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  40. Jessica

Well for me nothing really changed with the gas prices. I still go shopping as much and i went on a vacation. So not that much of a change for me. But for other people its a real hassle. Some people can't go many places unless its really important. Like some kids if they want to go to a friends house their parents say No because of Gas. They think its a waste of gas. Which i agree i guess it can be a waste to take your kid somewhere like that, but still some people may not have much money to buy gas to go places:::

September 23, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  41. Adam

My main street is great! The gas prices are going up and down and back up again, but our main street is absolutely fantastic! As a matter of fact, I don't even remember the last time there was any traffic!

September 23, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  42. Martha

The economy affects me mostly with the gas prices. Since i live outside of my school district, my mom has to drive a lot back and forth, for sports, and other siblings.

September 23, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  43. Dana

Some people are nervous. I'm not, because I think we're OK. My dad is one of the vice-presidents at a local bank. It's very far from being a national, or even a state-wide bank, and my dad says that they are doing well. On the other, hand it does affect us somewhat. We can't go to cities forty-five minutes or an hour away that have nice malls for shopping trips as often, thanks to gas prices. Also, this past summer, we went on vacation to a place five hours away, and my parents were staying how it was good we made our trip out to South Dakota two days away the summer before. The price of things besides gas has been going up for awhile. I checked out an old Ritz snack container that we've reused many times. It said $1.49. I'm sure that's not what it would cost. Michigan has been in an economic slowdown for years now.

September 23, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  44. Dakota

I think the problem about wall street is that it got stock at a bad time and it lost there money and there and they need help and they need money and the gov. and they need alp and the are going make the job good again
    Dakota 🙂

September 23, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  45. Angela

Why do we have to pay them?

September 24, 2008 at 9:38 am |
  46. Evan

My main street is chilling.
    but it's not looking to good for wall street.

September 24, 2008 at 9:39 am |
  47. Julio

S.O.S......

If some banks, who have the titles to our properties and even those who still recieve our mortgage payments in a timely manner, are going under, then what should our outlook on the economy be ?
    We don't have the titles to our homes and some of us don't even have our homes, no less assistance from our government. Who is worse off in this case?

September 24, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  48. Rach

Why did this happen? Why did we have to put our self in this situation. It is dumb. We can't go out and buy something because we put ourself here. We need to figure out a way to fix it without having to spend billions on taxes for this huge baiilout

September 27, 2008 at 9:44 am |
  49. Mr.Harris

Hi John and Carl:

I teach American History to Canadian students in Ontario. My suggestion is for you guys to create a "One Sheet" for the economic crisis that is currently affecting us all. If it is possible to create such a thing, it should be forwarded to Washington and Ottawa (our nation's capital and base for Parliament) so the politicians can figure out how to avoid such a mess in the future. My students often ask "Could another 'Great Depression' ever occur?" to which I, until now, would answer "No, our governments learned from that time period and created safety nets to prevent us from falling so far ever again." Now I might have to change my answer!

We love your broadcast and tune in one to three times per week. Keep up the great work!

September 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Jon

I hate this bail out and I don't think the hard working tax payers should pay for wall steet. My mom and dad are tax payers and we can't afford any fun and wouderful things.

October 1, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  51. heidi

Our main street is perfectly fine!!!!! Nothing really wrong with Yucaipa

October 2, 2008 at 8:19 pm |
  52. brittany

i think its cool that a nine year old made her own business by making her own dog treats.

October 6, 2008 at 10:07 am |