.
September 18th, 2008

Dallas Grading Changes

I know a lot of you won't agree with me here, but I really don't think the grading changes taking place in Dallas schools are good ones.  Think about this:  When you know you have a test coming up that you need to study for, you study for it.  You do your best to learn the material and get it right the first time. 

But if you know you can retake the test if you flunk it, what's the point of studying in the first place?  You'd find out what was on the test, study for certain answers, then get them right the second time through.  How in the world is that fair to the students who do what they're supposed to do and pass the first time?

You won't be able to retake your tests in college.  And what about work?  Consider my job:  If I fail to get a story right the first time you see it, I don't get a second chance.  It would make me and our show look bad, and there'd be nothing I could do about it.

Now I'm not saying you should be perfect and ace every test you take.  But if you flunk one or two, you usually have the chance to do better on the next tests.  Being able to retake a test you failed might improve your overall grade, but it won't prepare you for the challenges you'll face once you're out of school.

Anyone disagree?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. JACOB

did u really wright this or did sumone else j/w and i agree wit wut u sayinn

September 18, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  2. Tiffany

Maybe thhey can change some of the problems. When I'm still in school, before I homeschooled, I had a bad grade once. And the second time we who don't have good grades take the test, the questions are the same. But when I got 100, I can't have 100. I can only add some points to my 'old' grade. I think that's fair.

September 19, 2008 at 2:18 am |
  3. melissa

I think they shouldn't make that new rule because in the real world and in collage it's not going to be that easy.

September 19, 2008 at 7:02 am |
  4. Corey

I belive that you should only take a test once or maybe twice depending on the circumstances. If someone came down with, well lets say mono, and they were gone for the entire unit and don't know what the heck is going on. Yeah, that person will have time to study and learn the stuff, but bomb the test. Then I believe that you should let that person retake the test and get some extra help on it. However if the student chooses not to put forth the effort in learning that unit or subject and dosn't want to study for it. Then if that person fails the test and wants to retake it, that shouldn't be allowed. On the otherhand, a teacher at our school will let you retake it, only if you have a set plan to study for it and learn what you did wrong. Also it will be a different version of the test too, and the grade will be replaced, not the better grade. Also, if you wanted to retake that same one again, then he/she will notify your parents or legal gaurdian, and let them know whats going on. After the second time retaking the quiz/test, she will have a meeting with you, your parents, and the assistant principal. So I do agree to a certain point in retaking the test/quiz, but then I dont. Thank you for listening, Corey, form Oshkosh, WIsconsin

September 19, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  5. Nati & Haylea

Haylea thinks that letting the kids take over all of they're tests is wrong. I think how well they pay attention in class depends on they're grades. If they get bad grades that is they're fault for not paying attention. So I think your score is your score. However, if you are a student who tries hard MAYBE you should have a second chance every once in a while.

Natalie thinks that if the kids do pay attention in class and are trying their best then maybe they should have a second chance every once in a while. If the kids do NOT pay attention and seriously just dont care then they should not have a chance to have a re-test because they'll blow it off again and not care.

September 19, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  6. A Public School Teacher

I am a public school teacher. Because of the No Child Left Behind Law Dallas is doing something that eventually more schools will be doing. When a student is in danger of failing they are put on a program where accomodations have to be made in order to keep them from failing, since according to George Bush, No Child Can Be Left Behind. The first of these accomodations is to accept work late and let them retake tests they fail. So, the students figure this out and try to get on this program so they can do nothing for the rest of the year and still be passed. Then they get to highschool and have been passed, but they haven't learned anything so they can't pass the graduation exam. They are then left behind because of the No Child Left Behind Law. While I am at it, the law law is also unconstitutional since public education according to the U.S. Constitution is to be left up to the states.

September 19, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  7. Kari and Lola

I think its dumb because the students will just take advantage of the test! They will blow off the first one and know that they can take it agin!They will fale the first test and know that they will get a second chance and then when they get into high school or college they will think that they can get a bad score on the first one and then redue the test, but the professors wont let them. the school is making itsoft on them but when they get into the real world it will be extremely hard on those students who didn't try. You always are gonna fail, but once you do you will have learned something from it so you can do better next time. but this system is basicallysaying its okay to blow it off.

September 19, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  8. Amanda & Bailey

I think that the new grading system in Dallas is not a very good way to learn from your mistakes. If you get a bad grade on a test then you obviously need to study harder so therefore next time you would. If you know that if you get a bad grade then you can just re-take it and get a better grade then you won't try as hard. It's like getting a grade you dont deserve, it's being handed to you.

Sincerely,
    Amanda & Bailey from Glenwood R-8!

September 19, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  9. Cassidy

Dear CNN Student News,

Changing the Dallas Grade Scale shouldn't happen. Students should only get one chance on something and do their best on the asssignment. Knowing that they will get another chance they won't study or try as hard as they should. In life or even in a job you won't be able to have another chance in something you are required to do. When you apply for a job or anything that requires an application they are exactly like a test or an assignment. So when you drop off or turn in that is your final chance. So they shouldn't change it for that exact reason.

Sincerly,
    Cassidy at Glenwood R-8

September 19, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  10. Cassaundra

I think it would and wouldn't be a good idea. The reason it wouldn't be a good idea because Most people wouldn't study and not learn anything. For other's it would be different. Some student really try to pass but it's not there best and if they had a chance to redo the test and study another night they would ace it. Any way you rather you can redo the test or not there'll be ups and downs to everything!!!
    Sincerly,
    Cassaundra from Glenwood R-8
    P.S.- Mrs. Spivey, you rock and your my favorite teacher no matter how much homework you assign, your my favorite out of all the schools!!! Rock on!!!

September 19, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  11. Mrs. D

Students in only two of my six middle school classes provided opinions on the new grading system in Dallas, TX. Here are a few:

I think that grading system in Texas is not a great idea. I think that life is not something you can retake. If you retake a test, then the students think everything can be retaken. In life if you did something bad, it cannot just be thrown away. It will always be there, so throwing away bad homework does nothing. – Megan

I think it's a free pass and don't get me wrong, I would like a free pass but it's not teaching them responsibility. – Justin

My opinion of the grading in Texas is like cheating in class. – Cameron

I think the new grading system is stupid. You could fail every test and still get an "A." They can't even have an honor roll because almost everybody would have a high GPA. – David

I think that the new Texas law is really dumb because if every student were to fail a paper or a test, they could just re-take a get a better grade. If there is a system like that, then the students wouldn't learn their lesson of failing and learning from their mistakes. – Zack

I do not agree with it. Students will think that they will get a second chance at everything, which is not the case. Students should get the grades they deserve. – Nathan

I think the new grading system is ridiculous because what is that teaching kids? No matter what grade you get your going to pass. If they get used to slacking off then when they get to college, their going to have a lot of problems. – Nick

I like the new form of learning. It gives students a second chance at school. More children will do better in school if we get a second chance. – Mandi

I believe that in some ways having a new grading system is good and some ways it's bad. It is good because students will study more after they fail a test to retake it. It is bad because it is a lot like cheating. Overall, I don't approve of it. – Mark

The overall majority of sixth, seventh and eighth graders did not approve of the new system of grading in Dallas, TX.

September 19, 2008 at 11:45 am |
  12. bryce

well... this is what I think...if a student makes a c on their test, and the guy right next to him makes an f. Then the kid with the c could want some thing better, but he cant have it. But the Kid with an f can retake it and get a higher grade than the kid with the c...if u get my flow joe...

September 19, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  13. Jon

I think that if you want to re take a test to get a better grade you should be able to. You dont use anything in school anyways so it doesnt matter. oh and what is a pirates favorate place to eat? aaarrrrgghhbys =]

September 19, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  14. Jordyn

We don't need to reduce the grading requirements. If you ask me we need to raise requirements on homework. Kids today are babied as it is. Beleive me I used to be one of the kids that needed everything handed to me.

September 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  15. Terry

There is nothing wrong with the old grading system, one of my favorite saying is if it isn't broke then why fix it.

September 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  16. Nathan

I think it’s a good idea to let kids take a test agian if they got bad scores on it the first time. Because some kids just don’t have enough time to study for a test because of sports, things going on at home, or say having to go some where for the week cause a family members sick.

I know I’ve got some real bad grades before because I just didn’t have enough time to study and I felt it was pretty unfair that, oh look now I have a D or F because I just got allot of stuff going on…

September 19, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  17. Laura

I agree. The new changes create an advantage to students who did not do their work or study. Giving these kids a second chance isn't really helping them learn or preparing them for the real world.

September 19, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  18. Nick

I think that this grade change is not a good idea. It is not realistic to change your grade and retake tests. This is not preparing these students for High School and College. In High School and College you can not retake and make your grade better. This is not teaching these students the right lesson. It will not prepare you. They should not be able to do this. It is their fault if they do not do well in school.

September 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  19. Lauren

I agree with Carl Azuz. How does it help a student learn if they can take a test, fail it, see the questions, and then go take the same test again? It doesn't. Students need to learn how to be responsible because life after high school isn't so forgiving. Students need to be prepared for college and life after that.

September 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  20. ryan

I agree with you Carl, I think that the Dallas grade changes are not right because when you know you will get a second chance anyways, you usually dont do it correctly the first try. With these changes in place, I think kids will start to think that this is how the real world is and that they will always have a second chance. Well if they would've kept the rules the same the kids would still be motivated to do well and to succeed on the next test if they failed the previous ones. It also is not fair to the students who actually tried and may have studied for hours and not fail the ones that didnt try.

September 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  21. Kara

I totally agree with waht you are saying. At our school you can only retake a test if the teacher allows and even then you have to get under a certian grade. I don't think that this is good. What about the people who got an A- the first time but couldn't take it over, and then the people who didn't study failed the first time then took it over and recieved an A+. I dont think this is fair. All collages don't let you retake tests, and I know there are few jobs where you can get a "do over."

September 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  22. Mark

What in the world r they thinking! It also proves laziness. They fail it, then they look up the answers. A+, Once their in colledge bam! A big fat F on the test. Sorry no retakes. If i see failing colledge grades in dallas on the news. LOL

September 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  23. Matt

This is only harming the kids and setting them up for failure (PSAT, SAT, Colledge...)

September 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  24. Mandi

I think that it would be better if there were multiple copies of a test, so students would have to study the material rather than the test. The second chance idea is a good one from a learning perspective; people who fail a test have more incentive to learn the material so that they can progress on with whatever the subject is. The multiple copies of a test would prevent students from cheating and would help them to actually master the subject instead of just giving them a good grade for the sake of GPA.

September 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

I personally think that it could be helpful because most kids don't want to take two tests so they would probably study and then if they still failed it they could no better what materials they need to crack down on. Maybe a way that they could make it different but still helpful is to average the two tests after they are both taken. That way if they decide they don't feel like trying on the first one and they get like and they get an 80 or so on the second one they wouldn't get that good of a grade.

September 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  26. Dru

I don’t aprove of the change I think it is unethical and disturbing. We should work hard for our grades not have our teachers give them to us. To add to that some kids learn at diffirent speeds so in the long run you will only be hurting them. This will put dependancy on teachers and parents which they will suffer from when they get into the real world. You won’t have your teacher or your mom there when you go to work. You might as well live in their shadow for the rest of your life. we need to grow and expand with leadership and our own responsabilities.

September 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  27. Jordan

I dont like this new grading system that Dallas Texas is using. I think that you should try hard the first time and earn the grade you deserve. If youre able to “flunk” the first test and take it again then youd be able to get answers and ace it. You wont learn anything from it. In the real world after high school you dont get those second chances and you HAVE to turn it in the first time or you could get fired. I just think this is going to help the kids that are slackers and dont do homework at all. when they get to college they’ll get thrown out because they never learned how to do it right the first time. I do not approve of this new grading system

September 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  28. Dru

I strongly diagree we need to grow and expand with help and leadership. There is a deviding line between help and to much help and they have crossed it.

September 19, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  29. Adam

THe changes that Texas is making are bad ones. They are letting dumb people pass classes that they realy did not do the work for. It is only harming the younger generation of workers.

September 19, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  30. Sara

Carl I agree with you too!! If we have the chance to makeup a test if we fail, where is the drive to do our best the first time around?

But, I do agree with limiting the homework hours that teachers can give students. I talk to some of my public school friends and they all stay up late into the night and lose sleep to study because of all the homework. I think they do need some breathing room in that area.
    Do any of you agree? 🙂

September 19, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  31. Foster

It makes kids start learning the matteral and not just Memorizing the subject.

September 19, 2008 at 2:24 pm |

I think it is wrong. Students shouldn't have that many chances because they have to learn how to study the first time. In college do you get a second chance on a test???? In the real world you don't always get a second chance either. Kids need to be prepared for this.

September 19, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  33. Evan

This may help improve the schools rating and increase the teacher’s pay but it will definitely not enable these students to prepare for the real world ahead. In this case students will not strive for that A because they know that it just going to be given to them. My analogy is this, if a student receives a 70 percent grade on a test than that student knows 70 percent of the information that he needs to better understand that subject. I relate this to a daily occurrence to us Americans, fast food. When you show up to Wendy's, how much of your hamburger do you expect to receive for your money. Obviously you would want the whole hamburger. Although if you think a C is ok in school than you should think that it is ok to receive 70 percent of the hamburger that you paid for. Plus if you think that the student should have a second chance or allow late work than it must be alright if it takes six or seven minutes to make that hamburger instead of the normal two. So in my mind this does not help the student prepare for the real world and I think this is a cheap way to make a couple thousand dollars extra for the teachers and administration.

September 19, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  34. Lauren

I agree with you. I bet a lot of kids would do that. it kinda is like cheating. but lol i bet a ton of kids love ti becuz they get second chances. but still i think they should jut like go back to the normal grading systems. cuz u wont always get a second chance in the real world.

September 19, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  35. Josh

Well at first glance it seems like a really good plan but... the more you think about it, the more you realize that letting a student challeng him/her self is not the best idea.

September 19, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

I think that this is the stupidest thing ever I mean COME ON what is the point of even giving homework in Grade School and Junior High if you dont feel like doing your homework than why bother, because bad grades get thrown out. So basically the people who cam up with this are STUPID and are making it easier for kids that are slackers to excell without even trying. IT IS POINTLESS

September 19, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  37. Brock

This is the most STUPID thing I have ever heard of, I mean if all bad grades get thrown out then there is no point of even doing it. The people who came up with this system are STUPID and are helping slackers to excell without even trying when ALL bad grades get thrown out.

September 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  38. Mike

I think this is rediculous. I mean what is the point if you failed and you got to the the test again. Then you could just study for the answers that you missed and pass which would not be a good habit in collage when you only get one chance.

September 19, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  39. Dalton

I don't see why there doing this it's like the kids can do horrible and then all they have to do is wait for the second chance. In life you don't get a second chance. The most important thing you can do is get a good education and this only gives kids a lazy mentality. I may only be 11 but but I Know that when you get a good education and a degree windows open up. If kids are taught this it's like teaching them you can have a second chance at life, but you can't. When Americas education slips it's future slips and I don't want my generation to be dropouts and failures and when I see this it almost heartbreaking. If we have the chance to be great as the next generation and the thing that we will depend on to be great is a good education. I hope the United States hears in there hearts because when I pledge my elegance I am giving my person, heart, character, and my future to it and I will not give that to a country that won't give me what I need to be great. I will not live to see this great country fail but to see it rise upon it's great people constitution and it's education.

September 19, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  40. Rachael

I think this is perhaps the stupidest idea ever conjured up by the school systems thanks to the No Child Left Behind law.

This is only setting them up for failure. The kids can just not do their homework and do poorly on their tests, but they'll still pass!

I do not see how this is "For learning, not giving consequences out for behavior." First, this has nothing to do with behavior. And really, I hate to say it, but most of the kids who are getting all these bad scores and who are getting this "help" don't care about learning anyway. They don't listen or study, they don't care about education, sometimes even their parents don't. They aren't learning anything. This is also unfair to those kids who DO try, because then they are not ahead and their effort is wasted.

This new "idea" is almost socialistic– making sure everyone gets equal grades, equal "learning", equal "opportunity".

In the end, all this program is helping them to "learn" is that you can go through school not putting any effort into something and still pass.

You just have fun watching all your students fail in life, Dallas. Have fun.

September 19, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  41. Emily

The idea i think is stupid since it gives kids the wrong idea about taking tests. If they fail a test knowing they can take it over again what's the point? They will keep doing it on purpose and ace the next one when they retake it.

September 19, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  42. Alice

I think if they are to give the students a second chance, they should give them a different set of questions.

September 19, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  43. Luci

I think it's totaly POINTLESS that school(s) are actually going to change the grading scales. In my opinion, it will teach kids is that it's ok to NOT do their homework and to NOT work hard.
    I think that changing the way tests are graded will HURT kids in the long run. When kids grow up, they will think that there will be a second chance for everything they do in every aspect of their adult lives. It will teach them to not be responsible and to think that good things will be handed out to them like candy!
    Let me ask one question, HOW WILL THIS ACTION HELP ANYONE? Or maybe I should ask it this way, IN WHAT WAY WILL THIS NOT HURT OUR NATION'S KIDS?

September 19, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  44. Sophia :-)

I agree that it isn't fair for those of the students who studied in the first place when others can just take the test twice, but if they don't like their grade, then they have a chance to retake it as well. Some students are going to take advantage of it, of course, but when they retake tests, they still have to know they answers, and the more they think about it, the more they get to know it better. So it isn't like they aren't learning anything...

September 19, 2008 at 8:39 pm |
  45. john

WUT? this is crazy us kids need at least some self discapline and this is not the way too show it MR carl sir there is no point in this no kids will benifit if anything theyll do worse in school thinking they dont have to try and will be able too do it over thats not how the real world is what happens when there on there own and are at a job interview do you get too do it over again NO! bad idea thank you mr azuz sir oh yea more punns today wuz great two punns in less then a second

September 19, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  46. Lindsey

I agree what you are saying because it isn't fair for those who work their hardest to do their best on the tests those who slack off and do bad deserve the grade they get

September 19, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  47. chloe

I agree with you compleley carl,Im a student who gets a's but i never study and i think and will study from now on

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Christina

As a current high school student, I think the Dallas people are getting this whole picture wrong. Yes, we all want everyone to be successful, to succeed, to get good grades, etc. However, the new guidelines they have put up (although it may help for some students) overall will not. They said that they want to help students learn. Well, through experience, these guidelines will not. There is a difference between actually learning something and receiving an A. In my psychology class, for example, our teacher does not even tell us when we have tests (except, of course, for the finals). Why? Because he wants us to be SUCCESSFUL, he wants us to LEARN, and he wants us to pass the AP Psychology exam. (lol.) What advantages are there when a teacher does not even tell you when your having your next test? (This is also the first for me...I hate tests, and now..all pop-ups?!?! totally sucks, lol) Well, first of all, I STUDY. Because I have no idea when my next test is, I have to read the textbook, listen during class, finish the homework, understand concepts and topics....and, in turn, what am I doing? Well, I'm LEARNING, obviously. On the contrary, last year I had a teacher (chemistry) that let us re-take tests.What happened? Well, as a 4.0 student...I received an A! So I guess I was "successful" (in terms of receiving an A) in that particular class. HOWEVER, I learned JACK. Because I knew that I could always re-take a quiz, I never studied, I never even really paid attention in class (because the teacher was boring anyway), etc. So how did this help me? Well, I got an A, but I didn't learn anything. In fact, that class was so bad I ended up hating science. Through experience, I have found that the teachers that want their students to be most successful (these usually are the best btw..by the way) tend to have stricter rules, stricter due dates, etc. For instance, my Pre-Calculus teacher, last year, NEVER accepted late assignments (except for excused absences, etc.)–either you did the homework or you didn't. He had tests worth 70% of your grade (This was really hard, btw), no re-takes, he never curved-yeah, it was strict, it was hard. Guess what happened? Only 5 out of 36 people failed. (He also posted our grades with our first and last names so EVERYONE could see them...also sucked). In conclusion, based on experience, it seems like these Dallas people measure success and learning through grades: even though grades do not always measure success and learning (if that makes any sense). I believe what needs to be more emphasized are the teachers, curriculum, teaching methods, etc., and possibly an intensive course like "how to ACTUALLY teach your students"- not "how to give an A." Because, if you have a really good teacher chances are that you are going to be learning something–the students are as good as the teacher (I think that's the saying...). If the Dallas people want to actually teach these students, they definitely need to have some kind of program or something that shows teachers how they can reach out to their students, how they can successfully teach their students, etc.....and all at an EARLY age so when the students transition into high school/college/ later in life/ in the long run it will be much more beneficial. An A doesn't mean anything...it doesn't mean that you actually learned something, it just means that you got an A in that particular class. An A does not measure how successful you are/going to be, nor does it measure how much you will/ learned.
    So this new grading system is bs. Not only does it undermine the concept of learning and success, it just gives students an excuse to get an A.

September 20, 2008 at 1:51 am |
  49. Ben

it wouldn't be fair for other succeeding students.

September 20, 2008 at 9:11 am |

President Bush only got one chance to become president.

September 20, 2008 at 9:56 am |
  51. michelle

i agree
    some kids that fail need that credit to pass, but what about the kids that are passing? are we only giving failing kids a chance? it isnt fair.
    when we grow up and enter the real world, as in getting a job and living on our own, we need to be able to face lifes challanges.
    we cant always have a second chance, so try your best the first time and if you dont do well, try again the next time

September 20, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  52. M

My civics class watches this student news podcast every day and was shocked when we heard about the dallas grading changes. We took about an hour debating about the issues dealing with this,. Shockingly, most of the perople in our class disagreed with it like carl did. Thanks for such a great debate Topic! (and taking up the time in my class) haha jk =]

September 20, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  53. Lizz

As one of my teachers said,"This generation is babied to the highest extent because of the "No Child Left Behind" law and Dallas isn't helping one bit." I completely agree with him. What gives 1 person the right to retake the test just because he didn't study, while another kid might not want a C but has to keep it because It is a passing grade? Consider this and I would like to see someone disagree.

September 20, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  54. Shaya

I am so-so on the idea. I believe that it could help kids get into college because they have a higher chance of getting a good GPA, but on the flip side, once they get into college they are going to cry for mercy. No one is going to hold their hand all through their life. Sure it sounds good, as a high school student I can say that I have those days where I cannot take a test but, I think I will leave it to the teacher to decide whether or not I get to retake the test or not. You can say that this is the fair way to grade, sadly life is not fair and enforcing these changes do more harm than good.

September 20, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  55. Hunter

I disagree with this whole thing.Sure you'll get a second try,but you have to remember this:Will you ever get a second change in collage?The limit for home work I can agree with,but I disagree with the chance to take a test twice.

September 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  56. Christina

Also, just to add on to the part about the Pre-Calc teacher......because he also wanted us to be successful (and he knew his expectations were high, that his grading system was tough, etc.) he constantly made himself available before and after school (as much as possible–even with his insanely busy schedule). Everyday for lunch there was a math tutoring center....all of this was his dedication to have his students be as successful as possible. He gave each student the tools to pass his class, he effectively, engagingly (if that's even a word..lol), and successfully taught the math class. Through his teaching method, his explanations of concepts and topics were easy to understand, and every student in his class learned. But, when we didn't understand something, we would always ask questions, if we needed more help...we would go before, after, or during lunch to get that extra help. I think this is the kind of learning that needs to be more emphasized, I think that the Dallas people have gotten all of this in the wrong perspective....because, again, their grading system " Not only undermines the concept of learning and success, it just gives students an excuse to get an A."

September 20, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  57. Christine

I have four children & could they possibly be any different? My 25 year old daughter had a difficult time with school, but graduated 1/2 year early on the honor roll. My now 22 year old son graduated 1/2 year early also on the honor roll. My 18 yaer old son stuggled endlessly with major test. His homework was B average. He always streessed out before a major test. He would study all night and tell me he new he failed the test he had taken that day. If given a second chance, he would have done great. Now at age 18 he is studying for his HED, because he fell short on credits due to his poor test scores. He knows his material, but is a poor test taker. He always went into a panic state the eve before a test. he had a hard time sleeping, could eat, or stop studing before a test. Should we just forget these children that try so hard? This is not a ticket for those that don't want an education! They will fail second time around. This is a confidence builder for those that really want to advance. I realize they don't all learn the same way. He only wants to go to college and be suceessful like his older siblings. I also have a 10 year old who seems to have no issues with aceing major test. The system forgot my third child and left him behind. I'm a good mom and will have to help him achieve what the public system could not figure out. More power to you folks that don't give up on our children that don't always suceed the first try!

Christine in Wisconsin

September 21, 2008 at 5:07 am |
  58. Christine

Mandi, you are dead on! If you want the child to learn something, teach everything! When taking test, why not let them know whats on the test? If they are a student that doesn't care about school, they will not study the test even if you give them the answers! Help the kids who want to want to be helped! Giving a child who obviously has a hard time with test a "F" is not building his or her confidence for the real world. I do like the idea that this is only for major test, because most of these children that this would apply to do very well on "daily test". They feel extremely pressured when it is called a "major test" or a test that will greatly affect there grade. Yes, the real world is hard and creates many challenges, but knowing that you were succesful in high school may lead to believing that you may be sucessful in college and life! AGREE!!!

September 21, 2008 at 5:27 am |
  59. Sue

I have tried a similar concept in my Spanish class – I call them "mastery tests". I teach the concept to be learned (in this case, conjugating a verb – which is really just a spelling concept), then provide a practice test and an answer key. The real test includes items from the practice test. Students take the test, and then have 1 week to come in (on their own time) to retake the test and try to learn the concept better.

Many students fall into the "responsible" group – they study in advance. Of those students, most do well on the test, but there are those who don't quite grasp the new concept and need more time on it.

Many students are not responsible – they barely study before the test, and either do well (the lucky ones – the concept was easy for them) or do poorly (now they have the option to actually study and then come in at lunch, or leave the low grade).

It is interesting how many students do take advantage of the retake, and how many don't. The true goal is learning. If they learn this week's concept, the next ones are easier – if they don't, then they fall further and further behind. Grade-wise, this category is only 10% of their final grade in my class.

It has been interesting to consider – what is truly best for my students? Ultimately, learning is of the highest priority – learning both personal responsibility (studying, completing work thoroughly at the best level of effort and on time, developing good study skills) and the actual content of my class (the information that is the reason for the lesson). That is the challenge of my profession!

September 21, 2008 at 10:27 am |
  60. PJ

We all process information differently. Do you remember the great pass the message test? One student is told a simple message, the message is whispered in the ear of another student, and the next student in line passed it on to the next until the message reach the last student. By the time it reached the last student, the message is very different. Teachers have different teaching styles. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with who study the most or not. If the student is willing to take the test over, there is a greater message that is given to the world than that person who took the test the first time and passed. You know better than I do if I do not perform my best at work; I am simply reprimanded or fired. Better yet, if I am not the person that a company is looking for I will not reach the interview stage.

September 21, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  61. Blaine

U are right Carl.

September 21, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  62. Lane

What I think is that the kids should be able to retake the test if they want to. If they can't get it right the first time, they need a chance to get the concept of what the test is about. If the kid doesn't get the concept then on the quarter test, or even the final test the kid will not get the question right.

September 21, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  63. Gill

We have this program already in the Province of Ontario, Canada. It makes every student lazy because they know if they don't study the first time, there is another chance to do so. We also have a policy so that students will not lose any marks by passing in an assignment after the due date. This has led to poor assignments being passed in the last day of school and sometimes even after the school year is finished. YES.

It has dumb-downed the classroom and adds to misbehaviour during class because students don't have to pay such close attention.

We have gone further by adding a 'Student Success' program. The students who don't pay attention and fail the 2nd test, or neglect to pass in assignments at all are taken out of their class and put in a room where one teacher re-teaches what their teacher taught.

Students love going as they can relax, fiddle around with projects and do their homework there instead of at home. They fall behind in the class they are suppose to be in and it has made kids realize that there is always an out.

As well, when our students go off to university or college they often fail out, or return home because they are not use to having to perform when required.

Life has due dates.

September 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  64. ali.

I think students should be able to retake tests if they failed or did really bad on it if they are given the choice to. People deserve second chances. Many times people are preoccoupied with other things going on in thier life and have trouble focusing while studying or actually taking the test. So if students have the choice to retake the test i think it is okay. It shows that the student must care if he or she wants to take the time to redo thier test.

September 21, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  65. Maggie

I think it is fair. Im a fairly good student, when I have a test, I study for it. I work hard to get an A the first time. But I do not always ace the test, I have even failed a few, even though I studied. Retaking it gave me the oppertunity to get a good grade for the studying that I already did. Isn't passing high school, the first step to going to college. If you have a fear of tests, and you failed a couple in each grade is that supposed to hurt your chance of going to college. It could, and retaking it gives you the chance to go to college. Sure college is going to be harder, you don't get a second chance. But high school isn't college. It's preparing you for the real world. Not trying to be the real world. It doesn't have to do everything the same as college. I think we all have a life. I study for tests in the light of my cell phone on the way home from my volleyball games. I study, but it's not going to get me and A, with the rough conditions. Retaking gives me a chance to study in a comfortable enviorment, of my home. I tried my best to get a good grade, it's not like I'm slacking. I'm not trying to get a few extra nights to study. It's just my lifestyle. I could plan ahead, but that doesn't work for me, i forget it most of the time. As a student who does study, I think it's completly fair for the kids who do not slack.

September 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  66. Jake

I think that students should have a chance to retake a test if they fail but they should have to earn it in some why so it does involve some work. so they won’t fail it every time just to cheat because they will actually have to do some work. Also for those who really want to pass the test they can do something like clean the lunchroom or something to earn the chance to retake the test. But I see what you’re getting at Carl.

P.s. You have the best last name ever!!!!!!!!!

September 22, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  67. Hilary

I think the Dallas grading changes are a bad idea because it doesn’t let kids push themselves to be the best they can be.

September 22, 2008 at 8:54 am |
  68. peyton

I think the grading changes are a really bad idea. i think that you need to do the homework to learn the material so that you can do well on the tests. i think you should only be able to retake a certain number of tests or none because if y ou could retake every test you would just not study and retake every test as many times as you can.

September 22, 2008 at 8:58 am |
  69. georgia

i agree, because you don't get a second chance at all. in high school if you fail a test, then study a little more and just do better the next time. if you cant get a tutor. no one's going to hate you for it. it shows that your being smart and making the right choices. if you were to let the students retake a test if they fail. then there really not learning anything, your just making there life easy when in reality your hurting them badly because it's not going to be like that out of school. it's going to be hard and unfair. it's life. but letting students retake test they fail is hurting them more than helping, your encouraging them that in college if they fail then they can retake a test or get a second chance, when in reality you can't

September 22, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  70. Anah

I really dont agree with the whole grading process that some of the schools in Dallas are going through. Some students know that if they have a second chance at retaking a test, then you're are totally correct. They will not study for any of the tests and they will truly be setting themselves up for failure in the future. For example college, if they decide to attent and their jobs.

September 22, 2008 at 9:02 am |

I don't think that it is right for students to be able to retake tests, at least not in middle and high school. Many students in that school system will take advantage of this new grading system and will succeed when they should fail, although it is good that they succeeded, it is good to fail some so you can learn from your mistakes.

September 22, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  72. Surada

I think that is unfair for student that study hard for test, because student that lazy have a second chance
    to make their test pass, so then if everyone do something bad so they have second to change what they do? , obviously not. So I think it’s ok to have a second chance but not every time, in real life you didn’t have second chance for everything.

September 22, 2008 at 9:05 am |
  73. Jamie

I absolutely agree with you Carl. Kids will never learn the life skills that they are being taught they need for careers in the future, for example preparing for presentations, reviewing material, etc. I understand that the BOE wants results, but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

September 22, 2008 at 9:09 am |
  74. Billie

I do than I don’t think it is a good idea for the grading to change. I mean it can be good for the slackers of the class but unfair to the ones that to it right the first time. Also it will not prepare you for the real world. I mean in a job your boss expects you to get it right the first time. Sometimes if you do things wrong to much in a job you can get fired.

September 22, 2008 at 9:11 am |
  75. Lauren

I don’t think that the new grading policy in Dallas is right. Students will just take advantage of it, and no one will really learn anything. And with all the second chances, aren’t most people going to end up with A’s and B’s? That won’t help the teachers distinguish between the students who know the curriculum and the students who are really struggling. And the number of students who don’t really understand the information will just increase. If you lower the expectations for students, their productivity will decrease, but if you raise the expectations, the students will do better. They might not perform up to the standard but at least they’ll do better than with lower standards.

September 22, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  76. Brittney

I think that students should only get one chance because it's not fair to the kids that study. But I thin the teacher should always have an assignment to get extra credit to make up for the failing test.

September 22, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  77. Alexander

I think that the new way of grading is good and bad. It's good because it gives students another chance. It's bad because it's not getting some students ready for life.

September 22, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  78. Brittany

To me I think that you get one chance on a test or quiz. Unless you talk with your teacher. If you get two changes on something then students are never going to learn anything. Everyone would go good on everything and then you wouldn't be able to see where people are. That is why I think you should only get one chance on a test or quiz.

September 22, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  79. Sally Sue

i think this is absurd.....i think if they fail they shuld NOT i repeat NOT be able to retake!!!!***

September 22, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  80. andrew

i think being able to retake a test is a good idea. what i dont think is that you should be able to still get full credit for taking the test. i study for test all the time and i still flunk allot of them, so being able to retake the test so that i can get a good grade (not a 100) is a great idea.

September 22, 2008 at 12:10 pm |
  81. Anna

I don’t think that the new grading system is a good idea in Dallas. I mean if I think that I can fail my test and then retake the test again I would not study at all. I think that having a second chance every once in a while is a good idea but if you have a second chance on every test you take in school you are going to abuse it. Also I think when you get into college and you aren’t going to have that second chance and there making the transition from high school to college even harder.

September 22, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  82. Morgan

I also do not like the new grading policy in Texas. I agree in saying that when a student knows they will be able to retake a major test or project if they fail it the first time, why study in the first place- especially if there is something going on the night before that you would much rather attend.

September 22, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  83. Daniel

The Dallas grading changes seem like a corrupt way to increase the averages of their student’s grades. It almost just deprives them of the initiative to work hard because they know that they can just slack off and collect a reasonable grade. If their home work grades are not used if worsening their grades, students could just decide not to do it and it wouldn’t even affect them.

September 22, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  84. Meagan

I completely agree, it's not fair to the students who work really hard to have to retake a test that everyone knew was coming. Everyone has the same opportunity to study, and if they chose not to take that oppurtunity, it's their fault, and the students who didn't study shouldn't be rewarded with a second test , but what they should do is study and be prepared for the next test.

September 22, 2008 at 12:18 pm |

Personally I don’t think that this is such a bad idea. Yes it may not force kids to hit the books for the first time but does it really matter what they get on the tests. I know of many teachers that don’t like the A, B, C, and F grading system because kids only focus on getting the A, they may not actually learn anything though. Learning the material is more valuable than having a good or bad test grade or an A or F as a grade.

September 22, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  86. Cynthia

I completely disagree with the whole grading change that is happening in Dallas. I mean most people usually do study if they know they have a big test coming up instead of just assuming that they will get a second chance. Second chances are pretty rare and it's better to try your hardest the first time than to just slack off. I can understand that if a child really doesn't understand the material and they honestly did try their hardest then they should get some extra help but retaking a test that they already know the format and probably the correct answers is unfair.

September 22, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  87. Amberly

I think that being able to retake a test is a good idea, but maybe not get full credit. Taking a test and then retaking it is like studying but we should be able to do that on our own. So if we fail a test when we retake it we should get like 10-20 points taken off.

September 22, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  88. David

I do not completely disagree with the whole retake idea. I think it would be okay if you would average the two test scores together. If they could just retake it and take the second grade then no one would need to study. As long as they are studying and trying I don’t see why they shouldn’t get a second chance. Maybe not on every single test but some of them should be able to be re-taken. Everyone messes up on a test at some point.

September 22, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  89. Becca

Every school has its own policy on grading but I think that Dallas is just encouraging people to fail. When you get the opportunity to re take every test you ever take you won’t really learn anything and hw is meant to be practice for tests not just a grade booster. Such a focus won’t prepare these students for college and a career.

September 22, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  90. Karl

I agree with you 100% Carl. I think that it wouldn't be that fair to other students and would help any one get ready for college. Also I think that America has already fallen lower in the standereds of the wrold including academics and the fact that the value of the American dollar continues to go down because the government keeps printing the money, thus making each one count for less isn the global market.

September 22, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  91. Garrett

I do not believe that Dallas changing the grading is a good idea, even though I do wish I could take some retakes. By Dallas changing the grading it is going to teach the students that they do not have to learn all the material because once they see the test, they are going to know what to study the second time. This is not going to work they way that they probably want it to.

September 22, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  92. haley

well i think i wouldnt like that because if the kids fell their test they are going to have to take over and over again. maybe the kids want A, B, C, and they need that to make their parents happy and they cant do that if the grades changed. if they dont understand the material they might need up on it.

September 22, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  93. Javier

the new way they are gradeing test in dallas is kinda unfair just becuse you can retake a test dosnt mean you cant study....

and i also agree bout the collage...you dont get a second time... it will also look bad on the test they take since people will try to attend collage but there not prebared...

but i would think that would be nice always passing =b

September 22, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  94. Andres

I don’t think being able to retake the tests is fair for the people that study and spend their time looking over things because they do it so they can get it right the first time. I think you just have to suck it up and try the next time, I guess if they changed the test a little bit and only gave them like one other chance it’ll be alright.

September 22, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  95. Oliver

I think that students should not be given a second chance on tests because that is the point of a test, to see how much knowledge you have attained from your studies. If everyone was always given a second chance it would just provoke them to slack off all the time because the know they can always retake it, though in real life you do not always get second chances.

September 22, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  96. Felipe

America was built because of hard work and the will to succeed. Name a famous person that was lazy. If you can then they are probably not very famous. If a person does not work hard, they will not succeed in life. This new Dallas program is encouraging laziness, which leads to failure. Maybe they have a bad student body forcing them to do this, but it is still a horrible idea that encourages sloth and mediocrity.

September 22, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  97. Laura

I agree students that are given a second chance to take a test after failing the first time but only if they have learned their lesson and their parents have lectured them on studying. The law (No Child Left Behind) as made it so that the teachers cannot fail a student or kick them out of the classroom for no reason to said student. Students should have to earn their grade not just get it from the teacher without earning the score. This Law makes it in possible for the teacher to grade all students fairly without the parents companying about one student got a 94 and my student got a 93. It just made life a little hard for the all a students, the a b students, and the other students that have little or no change at passing a test on the first time the test is around them.

September 22, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  98. Merkin

I think it is wrong and I agree with how you are saying that kids should study when their is a test not be able to retake the test.

September 22, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  99. Emily

I totally agree, Carl. These changes don't make sense! I think that if students were given a 2nd chance, the kids that got a good grade wouldn't feel as much pride as they did if they, say, did the best in the class. For example, if a student gets an F, and they re-take the test and get a B, then where's the pride in that? What are they going to say? I failed it the first time but the second time I passed? No one is going to think that is an accomplishment, including me.

September 22, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  100. Adrian

To make this more fair, they should lower down the best they can do on a test from an A to a C,even if they got 100%

September 22, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  101. Dylan

i agree with emily. if we give the students a second chance to get a better grade on every test then we will begin to think that you get second chances on everything. Like if we get suspended we don't get a second chance.

September 23, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  102. Chris

I think that they shouldn't do that because it is not fair to the people who do their work right and the people who didn't still have a chance. I don't like that if you don't listen then you get another chance to get a perfect grade.

September 23, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  103. Nicholas

Carl I wish my school did what Dallas did because I just had a test and i got a C on it. Usually I get A's on my test so I hope our school does what Dallas did.

September 23, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  104. Alyssa

Carl, I think they should give kids in Elementary School through Middle School a second chance, but gradually reduce opportunity's to retake tests. Then not even do it in High School, that way they won`t take that privilege for granted so much.

September 23, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  105. Briley!

Yea, I think that paying the students is dumb.-Because they are paying the "dumb" kids & what about the ones that do what they are told? I am one of those kids who do what they are told & I know alot who would get paid, if my school did do this. They should either stop paying the students or have a little party for kids who do well on tests. Well thats what I think.

September 23, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  106. Angela

I think it's a relly bad idea that they are letting kids take their tests over if they get a bad grade. What happens if if the grade they get the first time is better the the second time? Do they get to keep the first test as their grade? Do they get to pick? WHY? I t's wrong.

September 24, 2008 at 9:36 am |
  107. Elrod

First, this is a bad thing, because students get a grade even if they don't do the work; this lowers the standards in education. This policy won't benefit students in college or in the workforce. It's an incentive for students not to come to school, except on test days, so they know what's on the test and can then pass.
    Second, this is a good thing, because everybody makes mistakes and needs a second chance. If a student fails a tests, knowing that you can take it again gives you incentive to study and learn (but you're only learning WHAT'S ON THE TEST, so that's a bad thing).
    We think this will help the dropout rate, because some students drop out because they feel pressure, and this policy gives students an opportunity to pass. We think this will not help the dropout rate, because if you don't go to school a certain amount of days, then you get expelled anyway, And this might not be the reason that students are dropping out anyway; they're dropping out for other reasons, like they just don't want to come to school, or they're lazy.

September 24, 2008 at 10:48 am |
  108. Tre', Charis and Tavius

We think that Dallas schools need 2 man up and teach the right thing 2 do.

September 24, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  109. Doria

I think that is not right. Because the first think in a student mind is why do I do to this test I will just study another day and retake it I promise some student will think that way i Know that because I 'm a student .And plus its not fair because some student That are not in Dallas are trying to do their best in school,and studying has hard has they can and did their best on a test and got a D see they did their best and they can't retake it. So it is not fare to the people who does their best but still get a bad score.And the people who do get to retake the test and don't learn get a better grade that a person who don't get to retake the test and learn an still get a bad grade.

September 24, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  110. elizabeth

Pathedic! Kids are just going to get in the habit of slacking off.

September 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  111. Brooke

Hi Carl,
    We watch your show every day. I was just blogging about the Dallas schools superated by gender. I think it is a Ok thing because I could see why the girls want to be in a room without boys and I can also see why the boys wanting to be in a class with all boys. The thing I don't like about is that it would take more time to do and with being in a class room with boys and girls it would be easier to do a assignment. I also like the jokes after you go!

See you on Monday!

September 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  112. eric

I don't think that changing grades will help anyone. I don't think that it will really help because it teaches bad habits. It s almost like saying that it is alright to fail and if you do you have another chance to do so. I know for a fact that changing grades would help benefit me and that is what I think about Dallas changing grades.

September 29, 2008 at 9:23 am |
  113. Callie

I totally agree because I know if I could retake a test if I flunked it the first time then I would never study as hard a I do now. So to me the grading system in Dallas is a bad idea because it’s going to cause the students to go through life not trying as hard as they could because they believe that there will always be a second chance; if so, then they’re in for a rude awakening because there’s not always a second chance in life and before they realize that, it maybe too late to turn back.

September 29, 2008 at 9:26 am |
  114. Kelcie

i think it helps alot of kids who have problems with studiying. alot of kids freak out when tey have to cram it all in with one studying night.

September 29, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  115. Troy

I dis agree with what mr.azuz is saying. i believe that it can help you out i know it will decreas the dropout rate. think about it if you have a paper due and you have an after school activity then you can redue the paper another day.

September 30, 2008 at 12:38 pm |
  116. Kaylin

I don;t think that this is right. If you get things like retaking a test and keeping the better grade and other things like that, then you don't even get a small taste of reality. If you are a construction worker when you grow up, you aren't going to get a second chance at building a house after it falls.

September 30, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  117. Evan

It would be a better.

October 1, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  118. Sam

If you get a F on a test and you can bring it back to an A that would be awesome. Also you can see what questions you got wrong and fix your mistakes. If I was a student in Texas I would be a straight A student.

October 1, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  119. Sabrina

I think it's a good thing and a bad thing, because if you realy didn't get it you could try again, but some kids might take advantage of this and not study and I'm sure teachers don't want them thinking aboutit as a safty net.

October 1, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  120. Chelsea

I think that it is good to be able to retake the tests. Although Carl makes a very good point in the fact that we won't be able to retake tests in college but everyone has their bad days right? Just because you have the possiblity of retaking the test doesn't mean you must can slack off on the test the first time around. It just puts that air bag so to speak on your tests. You still crashed, it just softens the blow.

October 1, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  121. alexis

i think in my impinion that smoking should be iliegl ,no exeptions. cause its not worth leting all those people die like that. Some people in 7 grade think its ok and it doesent hert you so what the heck! Its not worth leting it just go by.You think that its ok at frist but you dont know it until it happens to you.And you die! but nobody should feel bad for you cause you did it to yourself.

October 2, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  122. alexis

i read the blogs and found one that was from a teacher and it didnt make any sense.she siad that it was fare that they can redo big tests ! what if they let us redo fcat nobody would learn .

October 2, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  123. alexis

i dont have any thing to say aboutchanging the grades cause its redicluse!

October 2, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  124. sitara

i don't really get what your saying Carl. the way your saying it is really really confusing. all i hear you saying is taking a test. flunk it. study for specific questions. then ace the test. is that what your saying? well i thinks it's wrong for Dallas to do that. and in college you don't get a second chance. so if those people expect another test to redo.... they will be in trouble!!!!!

October 2, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  125. Hempfield

Mr. Brogan's class.

There have been a lot of news lately about school changes. One was being able to re-take tests. We believe it is setting students up for failure because you don't always get a 2nd chance in life. James

High School is suppose to prepare you for the real world and retaking tests is not real. Michelle.

Lisa says she loves Carl!!!

October 3, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  126. Sarah

Many things can be done with ten dollars (even though that isn't a lot of money these days). Probably, if I had ten dollars to do something good with, I would buy ten dollars worth of food or home supplies and give it to a family that is in need. This would give them at least a few day's worth of food and some cleaning supplies or soaps. It may not be much, but I bet it would really make someone's day a whole lot better!

October 7, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  127. Audrey

If I had 10 dollars to help people with I would buy a few cans of food. Then I would find the poorest, hungriest, people I could and I would make it up and give it to them. 10 dollars may not be a lot of money but it isn't necessarily how much you have. The lesson here is what you do with your money.

October 7, 2008 at 1:26 pm |