.
September 15th, 2008

Paying Parents to Go to School?

Back in January, we blogged about a program where students got paid to study with tutors. Apparently, this story struck a chord, because hundreds of you responded. Well, on today's show we covered a similar story with a twist: In Iowa, a program called Education Brain Trust is paying parents $25 to attend day-long seminars that show them how to work with teachers, help with homework and how to support their kids.  So far, more than 300 parents have attended the program.

A school superintendent in Iowa supports the program because it encourages parental involvement; But some critics say that paying parents cheapens the learning process. The ball's in your court: Drop us a line and let us know where you stand on this issue.

Lisa Porterfield, Curriculum Manager

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ryan

You should not have to pay parents to go to school. Thats like paying the parents to care about there child. That shouldn't happen.

September 15, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  2. Tiffany

That's not right, why do you need to pay parents to go to school? And if you pay all the parents, then you'll have little money left to pay for other school stuffs. I'd rather have my children have more school stuffs to learn more than to be paid.

September 16, 2008 at 5:53 am |
  3. Evan

If three hundred parents have attended and they are being paid twenty-five dollars each, that adds up to $7500. With lower tax revenue available for educational spending in my state of residence (Florida) I am glad a waste of tax dollars like this program is not in progress here. In my opinion parents should want to learn how to help their kids succeed in school and not be paid for it.

September 16, 2008 at 7:41 am |

I think its extremely unfair! I go to school so I can better myself and I do not think its right that some people will only learn if there is money involved! I wouldn't mind as much though if they were paying me =)

September 16, 2008 at 8:58 am |
  5. Brooke

I think its extremely unfair that some parents are only helping their kids learn because there is money involved. Parents need to want to help their kids, and what happens when they stop paying the parents to help? Will the parents stop teaching their kids?! Although, I wouldn't mind as much if they were paying parents at our school... =)

September 16, 2008 at 9:00 am |
  6. Alice

Caring their children is parents' responsiblity.But parents nowadays are too busy that they don't have the time and energy to pay attention to them. So I think paying parents to be involved in their children's school work is good for all of them and is better than nothing at all. But in the long run, parents should really spend some time on their children, no matter how busy they are, and even if the school doesn't pay them for it. 🙂

September 16, 2008 at 9:10 am |
  7. Will

They shouldn't pay parents just to go to a meeting the school had or just because they go to the school!

September 16, 2008 at 9:58 am |
  8. Tyler

I think that paying parents is a good idea.

September 16, 2008 at 10:01 am |
  9. Double D

I think it is cool for parents to get payed $25 dollars because of gas going up from hurricane Ike. They can get extra gas money to spend time all day with your kids.

September 16, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  10. Todd

Paying a parent to go to a meeting that directly benefits their child is not right.

September 16, 2008 at 10:09 am |

I don't think that the parents should get paid because the parents aren't getting anything out of the students going to school. The students should just go to school on their own accord to have a future and a better life when they grow up. I'd want to go to school so I could go to college when I'm older.

September 16, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  12. Karry

I think that it is great that they want to pay parents to come in to teach them how to work with teacher, and to help with their kids homework.

September 16, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  13. Mitch

I agree they should pay the parents cause in doin that they give the parents a reason why to help thier child.

September 16, 2008 at 10:11 am |
  14. Emmett

I feel like that the parents should now how to help there children in school without being paid at all. I think that the parents should all ready now the type of work they are doing in school because they were already in school before.

September 16, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  15. Brandon

I think that they shouldn't be paid to go to school to learn to do things in school for their kids. They should already know how to help their kids with their homework.

September 16, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  16. *Jordan*

I think that parents shouldn't be paid to learn how to help their children on their homework. I feel that the parents should already know how to help their kids, and already be involved in what the Child is doing at school. I strongly disagree with this program.

September 16, 2008 at 10:15 am |

If parents are not involved in their students life than it would be a good idea, even though the students might think it would be an awful idea!

September 16, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  18. Nick

I think that you should pay parents to help. This would make it where more kids would most likely PASS! So thats why think paying them is a good thing.

September 16, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  19. Jesse

They should not pay parents to go to school. Parents should automatically care, and help their children with their school work. Parents should be involved with their children's work, and the parents should already know what is going on with their child's school work.

September 16, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  20. ????

I agree with Ryan, but not entirely. I think if they have to do something about getting their students to school then they have every right to do something. But having to pay parents is kinda out there.

September 16, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  21. dan

parents should not get pay because they do make money

September 16, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  22. jakob

I think that parents should not get payed for there kids going to school. They should pay the kids for there grades not the parents! KIds should be payed for there school grades if they are good.

September 16, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  23. maddison

I think that the parents should not be payed to go to school with their children. The parents should just go anyways, and not even care about being payed.

September 16, 2008 at 10:27 am |
  24. Scott

I think that they should not pay parents to go to school. The reason i think this is because most parents don't even drive their kids to school alot of them take the bus anyways so transportation shouldn't be a problem. The other reason is that the parents aren't even the ones who have to go to school and work thats the kids job and it's their future they're ruining if they don't go to school and work hard.

September 16, 2008 at 10:28 am |
  25. Tyler

I think that paying students to do good in school is good. It teaches responsibility, and maybe creates self confidence . The Kids will enjoy doing school because of the money and it may increase the graduation rate. So Yes, I do believe paying students is an A-Okay thing to do.....

September 16, 2008 at 10:28 am |
  26. brooke j

I think its a good idea because some families don't have enough money for school supplies, and if you think about it paying them is just a less embarrassing way of supplying them with school supplies or lunch money. The other reason is to get more students to attend that school for beneficial reasons not for no reason.

September 16, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  27. LeAndra

I do think parents should get paid for there kids going to school. Because it makes them have a better education.

September 16, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  28. jalen

there is know need for your parent or the kids getting paid to go to school. The main reason is that if you don't get good grades you will not succeed so they should not need a another reason to get good grades. also the parents have jobs and should still be able to help there kid.

September 16, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  29. Trent

I don't think they should pay parents to go to talks about what they could do better because a lot of parents are just going for the money.

September 16, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  30. james

i think that us kids should be paid to do good.We could use the money towards school

September 16, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  31. Shawn

I think that parents should get payed because it will make parents get involved with there children and school. With parents getting involved there will be less gang violence in the streets

September 16, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  32. Dylan

I think that we should pay the parents to go to school.If we pay the parents to have the kids go to school then we may get some money from our parents for doing good in school.

September 16, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  33. Drew

I disagree on paying Parents to go school because it is the students job to get good grades

September 16, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  34. Krista

Paying parents to attend an hour long seminar is a good idea. Parents can learn more about what happens at school and can be there to help there children out with things common to school. More parents will attend because there's money involved. What a great idea!

September 16, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  35. Asia

I think it makes sense to pay the parents because most people wouldn't have attended the meeting if their wasn't something in it for them.
    But i also thing that they should pay the kids to because they are doing the school work and trying to get good grades it would make them want to get A's and B's if they were getting payed.

September 16, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  36. Tyler

I don't think that parents should get paid for our work. We should get the money like a job, just like our parents. If the parents get paid, some kids won't want to work in school when their parents are getting rewarded and not them.

September 16, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  37. Christina

Paying parents is a good ideal for students,but i think the schools should have a payment plane so it can help the the students so the parents are not spending the money on something the that is dumb that dose nothing for the kids so the kids wound not work for it at all.

September 16, 2008 at 10:37 am |
  38. Angie

I agree with Ryan, you should not have to pay the parents in order to know what their child is doing in school. That's their responsibility as a parent to watch their child in the things they do and to get involved.

September 16, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  39. Veronica Ann

I agree with my daughter (Angie). A parent should be involved in all aspects of their child(ren)'s education. What kind of example are we providing the children when the parents get paid in order to get involved with their own child(ren). Granted, these parents and students got more involved when they got paid...people do not do ANYTHING without incentive...or do we. Our children should be incentive enough. We must ensure we are portraying the RIGHT message to our young students by letting them know that they should ALWAYS do the right thing even if that means that they do not get anything back for their services.

September 16, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  40. Mattea

Paying parents' is a good idea,it gives the parents of sudents' to interact.Plus it helps them stay caught up on were their childern are in school.

September 16, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  41. kristen

why pay parents to go to the school to see the lessons. GO PUNS

September 16, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  42. Dani

They should talk to the students and try to get the students to try to get good grades for money insted of trying to get the parent to do it by bribing them with money.

September 16, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  43. Kyle

I think that this is a great idea. If it helps the students get better grades then I am all for it.

September 16, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  44. Kailie

I think this is a good idea. It helps the parents to get interested in their students education and acts as a kind of a stimulus. By paying the parents it also creates opportunities for the parents to buy their children better supplies when there are needed for the class so they are well prepared when a teacher requires something from them. It is also nice that they teach the parents to help their children with the overcomplicated information some teachers call homework. I like the last part because I am constantly asking my parents for help with my homework and it is so different from the things they used to teach in highschool my parents feel like they can't help me.

September 16, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  45. will

i think that this program could really help the students because they will have more support at home.

September 16, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  46. Kashina

I think that it is a great idea to pay the parents to encourage their kids to go to school and inform them of the benefits, but i think that would be a wiser idea would be to pay the parents for having their kids get good grades, because if they are getting good grades then they MUST be learning something.

September 16, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  47. Ms. Ross

As a teacher I beleive the majority of educational issues can be solved through the home. Most teachers only see students for 1 or 2 hours a day. Parents are with their children all evening and all weekend. By paying parents to attend seminars not only are the parents being helped with transportation costs or costs incurred from missing work but they are better able to support their children at home. I think it is a win-win situation.

September 16, 2008 at 11:36 am |

Its a sad day when parents are paid to care for their children. Everyone in the situation are to blame, the teachers should make students want to learn and instill an excitement to gather new information and the parents should take on the responsibility of having a child and help with their learning. If your not willing to put time and effort into helping your childs mind expand and reach for new heights you might as well stick with raising a hamster!

September 16, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  49. Kayla

People need to be motavited some how and money is the way to do it.

September 16, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  50. Sara

I think that it is a good idea because it gets parents and students both involved with eachother involving school assignments and activities. It helps the students because they get a more thorough learning experience at home during homework because they are recieving extra help from somebody they trust at home.

September 16, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  51. Mike

If a parent wanted their child to further their education, hopefully going to college someday, the child should develop in a way that is going to prepare them for that high level education. Encouraging consistent parental guidance cheats the child from developing on their own.

September 16, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  52. Tyler

I think its kind of a bad idea because parents may not always show up they might only show up when they need money and not even do anything for their kid I would make them actually do something to prove them showing up is benefiting their kid some how and the parents should be there anyways for their kid

September 16, 2008 at 11:38 am |

I think this is an excellent idea. If my parents were to be paid to help me out that would be a tremendous decrees on stress and allow my parent to follow along on what I’m doing in school as oppose to being blinded to what I’m actually doing.

September 16, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  54. Destiny

I think this idea they have going on is great because I’m a student I don't like to study or anything I don't like school, my parents really never sat down with me unless it was back in elementary when your just starting to learn things if my parents new all the programs and ways to help me now I might want to do my school work and shoot if you pay me to do my school work ill do whatever you want me to do. I also know for a fact if they payed my parents to go to something like that then I know they would go because it is helping me out but I think it is a wonderful idea that they are taking this to a different level and trying hard to have students learn because some teachers don't care if you learn because its up to you what you learn and listen to so i hope the program goes well.

September 16, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  55. Alicia

I think this is a good idea because this will teach parents to work with their chilldren while they are working on their school work.

September 16, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  56. John

I think they shouldn’t pay parents. Think about it. If you give them money the student’s parents will be used to getting that money and they won’t have their children do any work unless they get money. What happens when they go to collage? They don’t pay you in collage.

September 16, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  57. Jon

I think that this is a good idea. It provides the parents with a much needed motivation to get more involved in their child's education. With the knowledge that they will gain from attending these seminars, they will be able to greatly increase the success of their children in school.

September 16, 2008 at 11:40 am |
  58. Danielle

I think that parents should take the initiative in learning how to help their kids with homework without waiting for the schools to bribe them with money. Should the government really have to PAY parents to care about their own childrens academic careers?

September 16, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  59. Megan MArie

I think it's a great idea it helps parents get involved and maybe bribing them to care but it may also be helping the students bond with their parents.

September 16, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  60. Nick

I think this is a stupid idea to pay parents to help their kids in school

September 16, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  61. ~LACEY~

I dont agree with the program. Parents should be there for their kids no matter what. Money shouldn't be a motivator for them to get involved.

September 16, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  62. Kashina

I think that it isn't a great idea to pay the parents to encourage their kids to go to school to inform them of the benefits, because i think that would be a wiser idea would be to pay the parents for having their kids get good grades, because if they are getting good grades then they MUST be learning something. Because it it's not smart to pay parents to get involved with their child's life. They should already be doing that.

September 16, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  63. Afoma

I agree that parents should be more involved in their child's academic life because the more parents step in the higher the possibility of the child doing very well in school. But I do not agree with the fact that they (the parents) should be paid. It's their job! Parents ought to be as involved as possible and should not be offered incentive to ensure that their children are properly educated.

September 16, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  64. Andrew

I don’t think its right…just because they are paying them, the parents are all of a sudden interested in their kids school work…

September 16, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  65. kaylie

i am a student in Washington. i think what the parents of Iowa are doing is wonderful. even if its like pribing it shouldnt matter how you get parents involved, as long as they get involved.

September 16, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  66. Trenique

I think schools should not pay to go to their childrens school meetings, its like you have to get payed to care for your children, its ridiculous.

September 16, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  67. Ryan

I dont agree with the program. Parents should be there for their kids no matter what. Money shouldnt be the only thing that will get the parents involed with there kids.

September 16, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  68. Megan

I think that this is an unusual but good idea to get parents involved. People will do a lot to earn extra money especially with the way the economy is going. Eventually enough parents should attend and learn how beneficial it really is. Maybe then parents won’t feel like they need to be paid to be involved with their child’s life. More family involvement will lead to a better future and set a good example for their children.

September 16, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  69. kylie

i dont think parents should get paid to get involved with their kids schooling, its annoying to me that some parents need money to get motivated about helping their children out in school

September 16, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  70. Jessica

Paying parents to go to school is wrong...it doesn't really help, since it just supports materialistic views, which are not exactly the best ways to impact anyone. I think that they should stop the program as soon as possible, as the parents might not even actually go to learn how to help their kids, and instead just go to get paid a free $25.

September 16, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  71. *Trenique*

I think schools should not get payed to go to their childrens school meetings, its like you have to get payed to care for your children, its ridiculous.

September 16, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  72. Emerald

I think that paying parents to go to a class to be educated about their children is rediculous, if they have time to go to a class that they are being paid for then they should have plenty of time to sit down with their children and learn with them, the time that you dont have to pay for because its priceless.

September 16, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  73. Joe

I believe that this program should be dissolved because parents should help their children any way. The only parents that should go are the ones that don’t have time to do so.

September 16, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  74. Kegan

I think that this will get some parents involved but a lot will not want to go spend the day in a classroom listening to teachers for just 25$. I think that just motivating the kids by paying them should get more kids to get good grades though.

September 16, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  75. Anthony

I think this is a bad idea because parents will just go to get the money and not pay attention. parents should want to help there kids succeed and money should not be motivation for them.

September 16, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  76. Courtney

I dont agree with this program. I think parents should just want to help there child with there homework and encourage them to study without being bribed to do it.

September 16, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  77. Matt

I think that parents should not be involved in what their kids are learning. Mainly because when they get paid to do it their kids dont learn as much becuase their parents are doing it for them. And when it come time to take tests or what have you the students do badly. When its time to go behond high school, like collage they wont be able to succeed because they dont pay you there.

September 16, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  78. jackie

I think that if parents are involved it can really make a difference in a student’s life. So I agree with the classes and paying the parents. If the parent is able to help their child at home and make a batter learning environment out side the class room then it should be done, especially in a school district that had a problem keeping students on school.

September 16, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  79. Shelby

I don’t think that you should have to pay parents to be involved with their children’s lives but I don’t think that this is what they are trying to do. They are, in a way, teaching parents how to be a teacher to their children at home and get their kids to want to do well in school and I think that is great and totally support it 100%. I think that the school should do whatever they can and have to do to get their students to do well in school and that’s exactly what they're doing here. What a great Idea!

September 16, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  80. *Trenique**

I think parents should not get payed to go to their childrens school meetings, its like you have to get payed to care for your children, its ridiculous.

September 16, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  81. Nicole

This is a dumb idea parents should want to see their kids to do well is school so they can succeed in life. Parent need to be responsible for their kids and not have to be bribed into wanting to make sure there kids can get more then a McDonald’s job. They had the kid it is their job to make sure they do their work and help them with out the incentive of money the incentive should be to see their child graduate from school and get a good job and not be stuck and McDonald’s when they’re 50.

September 16, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  82. andy

They shouldn’t pay them for going to there school to help there child. Because they should be interested in there child future. So they can be successful in there life.

September 16, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  83. Casey

I think that the school should revoke the program because if there paying teachers to come to semniars to learn to be involved than that takes away foundings for the school itself. Parents shouldnt have to be paid to get involved, there only going to it because there getting paid, it doesnt change the fact that they still dont care. i'd say that some parents are'nt even learning anything, there just cheating it for the money. to them its just "free gas money".

September 16, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  84. Aurora

I believe that if this gives the students the initiative to work hard I think it’s a good thing. But if it doesn’t help them increase their grades then it’s a bad idea. Heck it might be able to supplement tuition money for college.

September 16, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  85. me

I think that parents should take the initative to teach their kids. And care about their child’s education and how well they do in school.

September 16, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  86. April

I don’t like the idea of parents being paid money. It’s not right to have people be bribed into doing what they should have been doing in the first place. I mean people may have to work two jobs and have low wages but at the same time parents should care enough about their kids and go to the programs anyways. If parents cared enough about the kids in the first place, and cared for their education then they would have gone to the learning seminar anyways. 25 dollars seems like an awful lot considering how many parents are showing up to the seminars now. Money shouldn’t be wasted, or used to bribe people that only care about money.

September 16, 2008 at 1:10 pm |

I think that this is a good idea because parental involvement is essential to a good support system. If a student comes home to a situation that is academically supportive, then they are more likely to succeed in school.

September 16, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  88. autumn

Honestly in my opionin i never thought we would come to the day that we would have to start paying parents to want their children to succeed in the future. Why wouldn't you want to help in any way possible to let your children know you care about them and care that they make something in their lives? i understand how some parents are barely making a living for their kids and striving hard to just make it by each month, and don't have time to even spend time with their kids let alone go and sit and learn how to help thier kids in school. But, its pretty sad we have to bribe parents to come and get educated to help us kids at home. They should want to come with no strings attatched.

September 16, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  89. Samantha

I believe that it is a pretty good idea that they are doing this to help parents get more involved in their student's work in school. It helps our parents see how well we are doing and lets them know what they need to help us with. I think this will make satisfactory progress.

September 16, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  90. Blake

Hi, I think that the idea of paying parents to go to meetings to learn about ways to teach there kids is great but when they are being payed 25 measley dollars... well thats just profound and rediculous!!! come on people step up to the plate and take care of your Children with pride. That is so WEAK of you parents when you have to get payed to do your job of being a parent. GET REAL PARENTS!!!

September 16, 2008 at 1:13 pm |
  91. Kira

September 16, 2008 at 1:14 pm |

I think that the idea is a good start but they should start to see if more and more parents will agree to not being paid, after all this should be for the sake of the kids, not for briary to get parents to be paid to help with there kids, that should be something they want to do.

September 16, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  93. Brianne

When I first read this article, I was at a loss for words. Why are parents so dissattached from their childrens lives? The reason why students' scores are low are most likely because of the parent not supporting their education. But if an incintive actually brings parents together than i support it.

September 16, 2008 at 1:16 pm |
  94. Josh

I dont care if my parents go to the program because if they want to learn the same thing i am then that is fine, and they get payed for it. But my parents dont have time to go back to school.

But does that mean if my son goes to pre-school and i go to the program, do i get payed for it?

September 16, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  95. Jay

That's Stupid

September 16, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  96. Jon

With people helping each other to learn then good

September 16, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  97. Evan

I think that the parents should be paid but same as the kids.

September 16, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  98. parker

paying parents so you would do good they probly go all the way for the prize

September 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  99. Logan

I don't think it's right for people to pay parents to attend school about there child i mean what's going to happen when there is no more money to give to the parents. I mean if you really want to go back to school then maybe you should have attended college longer or something. In my opinion I don't like the idea at all.

September 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  100. Sheldon

I think that parents should go not cause the money but cause they should care about there children's future.

September 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  101. Brianna

I think it's cool that they are paying parents for that, but it's kinda like a bribe just to get them to help their kids.

September 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  102. Rachel

I Guess that I really Don't understand this? Because it doesn't really make much sense to me, that us kids have to go to school, it is for our own benefit in the future for our education, so why should they have to pay us to go? I don't get it!

September 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  103. Makayla

I think it is a good idea to have parents take a class, so they can learn how to help a student, but it is wrong to pay them. It is also wrong to pay the student to get good grades because they should not have a lower grade then an E. Paying anybody to do something is plain wrong.

September 16, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  104. Jessica

I think that parents should not get paid, because it is the teacher's job to teach the kids their school work. If the teachers won't do their job then they should be fired. If my mom/dad were getting paid money to teach me I would ask to go to a different school.

September 16, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  105. *Katie*

I feel that this is not fair. I feel that people are justing doing it to get the money. You can't go through your whole life getting paid to do it, your just suppose to do it. I feel that the school is making a bad decision and won't do anything in the long run.

September 16, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  106. James

I think it would be a good idea because the parents would be able to help there kids on there work so they can do better in class. It would also push kids into doing better in school.

September 16, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  107. Grace

I think that this isn't the way to go. Having to pay someone to do something that they should have been doing all along. Also the students should be more disciplined on doing there school work.

September 16, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  108. Joshua

Yes I believe this is a good idea. they should do that at my school with the parents and the students

September 16, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  109. Thaya

i think its great that parents are getting payed to attend the program because they at least get to see what their kids are studying. I f their kids come home and ask them a ? they would at least know the answer. It gives them a little info.

September 16, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  110. Brennan

sup carl!!!! I think that if paying parents and they get involved then it is worth it because some parents don't know how to talk and negotiate with teachers. My moms a teacher and she gets frustrated with parents when they say stuff like, "my child needs to pass this class" she says "well then your child needs to quit messing around in this class". Go State!!!

September 16, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  111. Danielle

I think that paying parents for there kids going to school is insane. I think that because the parents are not the one to study. The parents are not the ones sitting in class for 7 hours. It is insane.

September 16, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  112. James

I don't like that idea are government is all ready down under and schools are giving parents money i mean moneys nice but we would lose that money in the long shot because it would make are economy even worse because we don't need that maybe they could consider like a little bonus for maybe principals list or honer role. thats what i think!!!!

September 16, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  113. Min Soo

I dont think that they should pay the parents to do that.
    if the parents dont care about there kids enough, then thats their
    fault not the school board. I would like to be one of those parents
    but i still dont think its right

September 16, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  114. Virginia

The most important thing is the level of education the kids are getting. If all the money from the school is going to the parents, the school wont be able to pay for things the kids really need for a good education.

September 16, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  115. shaun..uc

I think that the school should not be paying the parents or the students because it might get to the fact that they just might going to school just for the money.

September 16, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  116. jill

i dont think the teachers should be paying students for studying because they will just be studying for money who knows if even if they get payed they will try their best

September 16, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  117. brian

I think we should pay money cause it would make more kids study harder for test

September 16, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  118. Merkin

I think this is a good idea. With gas prices rising people don't want to drive all over the place like to schools and work. This won't cover the price of gas but it is a great incentive.

September 16, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  119. Sara

Parents have a responsiblity to their children to provide them with caring support and guidance. If a school needs to get the parents attention with money then this is not a good day. I understand that some familys have struggles and the parents have to do alot to keep their family afloat. But, family should be first in everything and money will not out last you; your children will.
    So, they should have the progam minus the bucks and trust that the parents will show up because they desire information and guidance as well. That grant should go to the children for supplies and such. 🙂

September 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  120. Charnae

I think its unfair to pay parents to go to school because us kids go to school and we dont get paid. Thats like saying pay parents for taking care of their kids.

September 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  121. Erykah

I do not think parents should be paid to go meetings.They should go for their kids, if they want them to have a nice and sucssesful and have good jobs.not for money.It is like paying parents to care for their child.

September 17, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  122. bobby

I think that you can stop school dropouts by making school more fun. Also by making more school work on the computers.

September 17, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  123. MC

it is good for the parents the teachers and the students alike because then everyone get an understanding ont the subject.

September 17, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  124. Dan

That is better to get payed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  125. carly

I think dropping out high school is stupid if you want to be a doctor or a teacher you have to know the stuff you have to work at McDonalds for the rest of your life at first yea but 4 ever I would rather stick a knife in my heart. Getting a G E D your just skipping steps to being smart every thing then you will have to work at fast food places 4 ever . Get a diploma.

September 17, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  126. Hunter

Why pay the parents?There not the one waking up early to go to school!

September 17, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  127. Josh

I think that paying parents is a bad idea. If the parents would have really cared so much they would have been doing it in the first place. But at least they are doing it, for the children.

September 18, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  128. Randall

I think it shouldn't be like that because most parents, more than likely, would go just for the money

September 18, 2008 at 10:24 am |
  129. Carl's #1 Fans

Berthold, ND
    Michael: Thinks it will get them more involved
    Jose: Parents should not have to be paid to help their kids
    Kyleen: Money should not be used as a motivator, parents should want to support their kids anyways

September 18, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  130. Katie

I don't think parents should get paid for there kids going to school. I don't think they should because that just means the parents don't really want to help there kids out with school without money but they will if they get money it just doesn't seem fair to the kids.

September 18, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  131. Chris

I think that you should not have to pay because school is not a privilege or a job and you should not get paid. School is a law and you have to go to school wether you get paid or not.

September 18, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  132. Jessica

My comment for Parents getting paid to go to school is stupid!
    why pay parents to do something for their kids by going to seminars so they know how to help their kid study and help them with homework.
    Most of the parents should already know how to help their kids with school, because most of them were in school. But some were not. But still why pay parents to help their kids in school?? if they are good parents they should already be help there kids with school work :::

September 18, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  133. Veronica

Personally I don't like that they have to pay parents just for them to get their child to get better grades.I guess as long as you are actually trying it's fine. Parents should be encouraging their children money or no money.

September 18, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  134. gunnar

I don't know why parents would need to get paid to send there kids to school because in some places kids can't go to school so kids should respect and appreciate that they can go to school and now days kids need a good education to go anywhere.

September 18, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  135. Alissa

I don't think that schools should pay the parents just for their kids to go to school. What if they want to be a vet they might want to pass school. So just stay in school!

September 18, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  136. Geordan

I think it is cool to pay the parents to go to school because it helps out with all around things. We should all so pay students for good grades so all their hard work really pay off.

September 18, 2008 at 11:09 am |
  137. Lloyd

Dear Carl A.
    Shaley: Parents should not be bribed and should go on their own
    Adam: If you can't get parents there without money, it will be impossible to get the kids there
    Abbey: Shouldn't have to pay parents to care for the kids and their future.

September 18, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  138. Mrs. Kohler's class

Dear Carl,
    I don't really think that students should get paid to go to school, because it is not fair to the people that don't go to school. If some people do go to school but don't get paid because of their grades, it won't encourage kids that don't like their grades to go to school.

September 19, 2008 at 10:33 am |
  139. bryce

if there paying parents for going to school.... they better pay me!!!

September 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm |
  140. Andrea

I think it's a bad idea to pay parents so that their children will go to school. It doesn't get the students happy to go to school to learn, it makes them happy to get the money. Is the school going to follow the sudents to college and beyond to their jobs. Are they going to pay them to go to college and work? Do you honetly think the students are going to do better once they've made enough money to drop out and do someting else?

September 19, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  141. anonymous

I don't think that the whole idea for paying the parents to go to school is fair because it is not really like they are doing it for the education. It is also not fair to the people that are going to school but dont get paid.

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  142. PJ

This is a money hungry world. With the cost of gas, I think this is a good thing where the parents would have one less think to hinder the opportunity to be involve with their child's learning.

September 21, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  143. Devin

I don't think that they should pay parents to go to school if they don't care enough about there child then they should not of had children.

September 22, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  144. Crystal

I think that paying parents to go to school and be apart of kids live is a good idea but also a bad idea because the parents should already want to be apart of there kids life. But some parents don't have any gas money to drive to the school and be apart of the meetings. This is what I think about paying parents to go to school.

September 22, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  145. Kylie

That is a really good idea.To in courage people to go back to school. How it will in courage people is because they will be getting payed to go to school or back to school. So I think that it is a very nice thing to do.

September 22, 2008 at 10:27 am |
  146. bennett

i think it was a good way to show them that they need to come to the meeting but that they should stop after the first two.

September 22, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  147. Lucy

I think that paying parents for school is a very good idea and it might help out with stopping the drop out rates as well.

September 22, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  148. Dora

I think NO WAY if they get paid then i should get paid!!!!!!! I didnt drop out im still here and im not gettin paid??????

September 23, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  149. Diego

You shouuld pay the parents to get involed because the kids will not get involed. So we need to pay the kids bribe them with money or a car or something

September 23, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  150. Diego

i mean don't pay the parents

September 23, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  151. Rach

Why should parents get paid for something they should do anyways! The school district has a budget and has money that could be spent on stuff that matters such as books for their library, Gym equppiment, textbooks, or even the teachers to buy items for the class. I think one of the meanings of parent is being apart of a child's life. I don't pay my parents for being part of my life so why should the school for showing up to a meeting

September 23, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  152. alexis

PAYING PARENTS !!!!!!!!!!! WHEN I HEARD THIS I FREAKED WELL THE OARENTS MAY LIKE IT BUT ITS NOT RIGHT . IT MAY BE TO PARENTS BUT WHAT THE HEK PAY PEOPLE TO COME TO OPEN HOUSE . IT'S CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 24, 2008 at 5:20 pm |

I don't think this is right. Parents should teach their kids to do well in school and be payed with the pride and honor of how successful their kids are... everyone is getting too absorbed in material objects rather than their values.

September 25, 2008 at 12:36 am |
  154. Jacob

No Way paents should be paid to attend school functions because it should be their choice if thay want to go. It would bea bribe to pay them AND that money could be used towards something more important like text books.

September 25, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  155. de'aries

I think thats a great idea for the parents because they would come everyday for the pay and it will help them with things around the house and get bills payed ,if there behind.It also gets them invovled in there kids work.

September 26, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  156. Deanna

I think its a shame you have to pay a grown person to get an education they should wanna learn on they own other than getting paid for their education thats crazy or just get an job.

September 29, 2008 at 9:11 am |
  157. Denise

I think that it is a good idea for parents to get payed for school.

September 29, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  158. Daniel

its just so stupid!!!!parents force your kids if you have to

September 29, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  159. bre

The fact there paying parents to do this is stupid.So the parents go but, it was the childs decision to flunk or not pass. If a child/ parent gets paid to do something like have to watch their kids work besides money what is it that the parents get out of it, exactly. My opinion its not right people should learn equally.Period.dot.end of story

September 29, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  160. lindsay

Paying kids and parents is a horrible idea because if a couple schools get it why should'nt us and everyone else?

September 29, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  161. Alexandra

I believe that its cool how they can learn how to help us more, but if their coming to school WITH us and staying there all day, not going to float my boat. We go to school so we can get away from our parents and just be free from them. Who wants to be with them longer??

September 29, 2008 at 8:20 pm |