September 14th, 2008

No Accreditation

Sometimes, I still get that awful dream that I'm back in college, lost on campus, and missing the last class I need to get my degree and get back to work at CNN.  It's not real, of course, but it comes with a sense of desperation that some Clayton County, Georgia students are facing for real today.

Consider what Genetta Reeves recently went through when her school lost its accreditation.  Reporter Rusty Dornin described it as "an unbelievable nightmare," though Reeves' college of choice accepted her anyway because of her good grades.  But what about those students who won't get accepted if their school system doesn't shape up?  Just imagine what it would be like to do the work you're supposed to, get the grades you're supposed to, and then get rejected from college because some school officials weren't doing their jobs.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Wayno

Carl -

I just watched the show about the accreditation problem in Georgia. It looks like the people weren't TOLD that this was happening.

What can I do? Even though I live in Arizona, I could help to mentor someone.

This is a travesty beyond belief.

Wayno

September 15, 2008 at 4:16 am |
  2. Tiffany

Oh.

September 15, 2008 at 5:10 am |
  3. josh

i like your show it really fills me in on stuff happening around the world like the interesting facts about hurricane ike and about how accredidations are going down

September 15, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  4. Devin

That would be pretty weird because you would have to worry about all the desieses.

September 15, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  5. Marissa

That would really suck if that happens to students that have the grades that are good enough to get into college and can't because of the school isn't in the right shape. That is just messed up.

September 15, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  6. Todd

Having all of those people go to school for all those years to find out that you wont get to go to college would be horrible, it would make me very angry and i don't know how all of those students are going to school day-to-day knowing that in the end it may not matter.

September 15, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  7. laurie

i think the thing about the green bear was cool.the hurrican is not cool

September 15, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  8. Brittney

I couldn't even imagine what it would be like know your future is at risk.
    Because of a disease that broke out in school.
    All the things you would have to worry about, like getting into a certain school or getting to your classes, just because of a disease.

September 15, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  9. Double D

I agree I still have a dream I am in school but I am so it makes me fell awful sometimes!

September 15, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  10. Josh

I would be astonished. I would probably move to a different school.
    There should be a detector person that can check that every year. Or that why you get a physical, so you know if you have any diseases!!

September 15, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  11. Taylor

I don't think the school should loose its accreditation just because some of the school teachers weren't doing their jobs. A lot of students at that school wouldn't be able to go to college even though they have the grades to be able to go.

September 15, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  12. Jordan

I would be really mad because I did what I was supposed to do and I didn't get in that college because of them not doing what they were supposed to.

September 15, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  13. brooke

that would really stink because i'd like to go to college on a scholarship and if i got rejected because of the school i went to it would cost more money and be harder to get into other schools, i'd probably have to go to a lower class school !!!

September 15, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  14. Brady

Your show was good today. I like the part on hurricane Ike the best.

September 15, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  15. Brittany

The subject in today's new that caught my eye the most was the part about hurricane Ike. The fact that Hurricane Ike did so much damage like that it flooded area's, and now it is going to take time to recover. That makes me want to organize something to help or something.

September 15, 2008 at 10:24 am |
  16. josh

i liked your news for today it really explained whats going on in the world it was facinating thanks for the great news keep it up

September 15, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  17. Tre' Charis and Tavius

We r homeschooled because of stuff like that. School people not doing their jobs. They r setting a bad example 4 kids in America.

September 15, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  18. Elizabeth

I don't think that it's fair to judge people by their school. I think that the people that are in charge of accepting students for college should just look at the student's records and not the school.

September 15, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  19. Sheldon

They should leave the school.

September 15, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  20. Karisa

I think that is unfair to those people that deserve that position. I would be mad if that happened to me.

September 15, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  21. Brianna

If my school didn't pass those certain standards, then I might wanna go there a little longer. If it didn't shape up anytime soon, then I would probably want to change schools.

September 15, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  22. parker

i don't think it is fair to not let kids in college cuze there school did not reach the right standers.

September 15, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  23. Logan

If that was my school I would definately be mad because i don't think thats right to punish the kids i mean yeah go ahead and punish the school but if they punished me I would transfer schools so i could make it into the college that i wanted to go to.

September 15, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  24. Ashley

I think that its wrong that that school lost its accreditation. it must suck for them students.

September 15, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  25. *Katie*

I feel that this is a awful situation.I feel that collages should still accept students in this situation. They did what they were suppose to they shouldn't have to pay for something that the school did wrong. If this were me i would problemy move schools because I get good great but I am not a straight A student and be very angry

September 15, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  26. Grace

I find that this event is very unfair, a hard working high school student almost couldn't go to collage because of there school board not doing there job. I think that if I was in this position I would be very angry, but then I would probably go to a different school.

September 15, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  27. Makayla

I think that it is wrong for the collage to not except the students that have all the good grades they need, but the school does not have accreditation. The students work as hard as they could to get the grades they need to go to collage, but don't get accepted. That is just really wrong.

September 15, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  28. ruben

if that hapend to me i would be made

September 15, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  29. Jessica

I think that the school should do their job so kids can go to collage. I would be so angry if I put that much time and effort in to my work to get good grades and then I couldn't go to collage. I would loose trust in the school and move to a different school.

September 15, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  30. James

i think that is not right that the school official would not do there job and have the kids get rejected from college.

September 15, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  31. Rachel

No, i do not think that it is fair to these kids who attended this school to take the punishment for there schools environment. These kids are not allowed to receive any further education because there school was unable to meet the standards. I don't believe it should be there fault because that is the school they had to go to, and Im sure most kids put there time and effort into school so they would have a good future, not so there school could ruin it for them and take those dreams away.

September 15, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  32. Casey

I don't think it's fair to kids who are wanting to turn their life around and can't because of the school. Hopefully it changes before Gentta Reeve's little brother and sister start high school because if the school isn't raked the kids will have a less opportunity to go to college.

September 15, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  33. Rachell

We don't go to school because we want to. We go to school because we have to, and we need to atleast know that all of our hard work will get us into a good college, and a good job. I think it's just messed up that all of those high school kids most likely won't get into the college that they want. That school district needs to think that over REALLY good, before they make ANY decisions.

September 15, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  34. Sara

First, I'd like to agree with the fact that they are trying to reform the school. That is great that they care enough to take the time to sit down and evaluate the District according to their standards. 🙂
    But, I think it is unfair to impose a penalty on the students when it is really the school that has messed up.Can't they figure out a better way to change the school without hurting the students? I would be in a humungous pickle if I found out I had no accreditation to go to college!! That decision could potienally ruin my aspects for a good future. I'll definitely be praying for those still dealing with this dilemma.

September 15, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  35. Kim

I think they shouldn't make the whole school not have accreditation,they should just take it away from the people who weren't doing the work and studying hard.

September 15, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  36. Tariq

I am a student in Clayton County. Yes that is the county that lost accerditation. When we found out we lost accreditation, we were ticked. But its the way we had to find out the information that, I believe, really set us off. We knew that day that an announcement was going to be made on the news however, when the annoucement was made the adminstration of my school tried to "hide" the fact that we lost it.

Now, Lovejoy High School is losing a vast majority of its students. Some students are fortunate enough to be able to move to a different school system. But there are some students like myself who are unable to move so I am stuck here with no accerditation. Most of my friends are going to be leaving and the friends that i have been in school with and the people i have grown to love will be leaving.

The thing about it is; they say on the news that they are trying to solve the problem. But check this out. All the seniors in Clayton County went to Mt. Zion High School for a meeting to talk about this problem. However, the people who had something to say, the people who had real questions weren't able to ask. The superindent answered the questions that we already knew. And to top it all off. They decide to sing. They took it as a joke and wasted time when we could've been asking and answering questions.

September 16, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  37. Omo

I am a senior at Lovejoy High School here in Clayton County. I am involed in legal studnet protest. Its not really much we can do. We try to get past the fact that it wasnt our fault at all. We have know about loosing our accreditation since last year like i said it is not much that we can do. We tried everything. We are in fact trying to get our governor (Perdue) involeved but he hiding somewhere. We really do need everyones help. If CNN could help us find the governor to get him to at least talk to the seniors and aware us of what he is doing, our school system would appreciate it.

September 16, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  38. Tariq

By the way the enitre county lost accreditation. not just one school

September 16, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  39. Omo

i live here in clayton county. The whole school system lost the accerication which is ove 150 schools. we are indeed devistated. We need the governor to help us.

September 16, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  40. Yesenia

I think that this is not fair because we have been working so hard to get to our goal and now we just lost it in just a day. I believe we should have an opportunity to spaeak our minds and tell about our opinion. Some students have been working hard to study and get good grades and some dont but us who really want to go to college want to do something about it even do they would not listen we should try!!!!!

September 16, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  41. Ariel B

hi i go to a clayton county school and its very hard for us i attend lovejoy high school and many students tryed to leave and go to another school in a different county but they would not except us unless we live in the area and i feel thats not fair to us we have work hard and for us not to be accept to the colleges of our dream is unfair to us. I think some one should step in and help us because we need it us a student need Help

September 16, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  42. Emmanuel

Let me set something straight. It's not just one school, it's a whole county. And I happen to go to school in the county. It also has nothing at all to do with the teachers. It all deals with the school board members. There were a long list of problems with the board members. They didn't even live in the county, they weren't even doing their jobs. It's truly a sad site to see. All the years I spend in school making good grades, then my last year in school this happens.

September 16, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  43. austin

i think that people getting money to show up at school is sweet...

September 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm |
  44. Virginia

This is so terrible. The kids of Clayton County are apart of the future too! They should be able to get a good education after college just like the rest of us.

September 16, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  45. Erykah

I agree with Virginia she is right.

September 17, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  46. Anna

I think that this is bad. I mean if you have been working to go to a certain college your whole life and you can't go because of your high school losing its accredation. That would be horrible.

September 17, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  47. Timma

I think kids there age should be in school they are just making there life worse because if they do get a good job it would be burger king. They are just being lazy teenagers because they want to stay home and do what watch T.V. get shot or get in trouble it’s their decision make your choice.

September 17, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  48. MC

that is unfair for the student that wants to go to that colledge cause they worked hard and then someone srews it up for them so the official should get fired

September 17, 2008 at 2:02 pm |