.
September 10th, 2008

Big Machine, Little Risk

A lot of you are writing in about the "Big Bang machine," saying you're concerned about the black hole possibility.  I understand why some of you are worried:  The YouTube animation seen on Tuesday's show would make anyone nervous.  But honestly, I don't think we have anything to worry about.  If there were a serious threat that a massive black hole could form, I'd like to believe that this entire project would be illegal.  After all, no science experiment I've ever heard of is worth certain death.

Consider this, too:  A large black hole in space is believed to form when a massive star collapses.  The Big Bang machine is beaming particles - little "blips" that are nowhere near the size of the earth - let alone a star.  So I think that, if a black hole is formed, it'll probably be a very tiny, unstable one, as the scientists say.

Whether you're for or against the experiment, I don't think we should lose any sleep over it.

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Tera

Dear carl,
    I just wanted to say that you're puns are very punny in my oppionion lol. I use to hate whatching the news but now you've made it interesting to whatch. My Teacher In high school. Put's it on for us. Sure half the kids dont really care about the news but honestly because of you, you've gotton our thoughts about the world alot more extensive. I wanted to say thanks for everything that you've all pun'd up. so be like mac and cheese and stick together puns are your punniest things ever!! I'm out like gum on a shoe

September 10, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  2. Tiffany to Corrissa

Well, we're all alive now. And maybe if we're all suck into a black hole, we can live in the black hole. Just my imagination.

September 10, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  3. Zack

Key word there is unstable. It could malfunction and go completely out of control. But, like scientists said, it would be a miniscule one. Go forth, I say!

September 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Alice

Phew, I'm REALLY glad of that. We still have hope towards a better future.

September 11, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  5. Tonio

I don't think there will happen anything either, but if so: Carpe Diem. 🙂

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

September 11, 2008 at 1:13 am |
  6. Shelby

Im glad nothing happened to us...the risk was big but it was a huge scare for everyone because we all believed it and obviously we don't trust our scientist. But I do now.

September 11, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  7. Tre', Charis and Tavius

Like we r really gonna be sucked up into a big hole! Carl, report on Hurricane Ike, becaus it is gonna hit us because we live in Austin, Texas. help...........

September 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  8. Sean

well they really havent started it yet. it said that it could take weeks to get up to speed. plus just a little note for the second comment if we did get sucked into a black hole we wouldnt die we just bacically wouldnt exist anymore.

September 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  9. dani

they shouldn't try the expierement the big bang is what made the black hole.if something like that hapend agin it could swallow the earth and then the magnetic force would be so strong it would also swallow the moon.

September 11, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  10. CJ

I hope that they dont form a black hole big enough to swallow the earth... but i keep on wondering are they going to create a mini solar system exactly like our and if it is exactly like ours they would be able to tell how big our solar system is and how many other planets there are how warm they are and if any have water. if that would happen that would be real cool

September 11, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  11. Hunter

I'd doubt it!It'll proably be too unstable and collapse,hardly causing damage!

September 11, 2008 at 6:08 pm |

I don't think that something like that would cause a black hole inside the earth. If there would be, it wouldn't be that big and make no difference.

September 11, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  13. Stephanie

Yeah, I am glad this experament didnt cause any of us harm!!!!! I still dont think they will find out how the world began though. I mean, that would be a whole lot tougher than watching a light on a screen. We'll see what conclusion they come up with!!!! 😀

September 11, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  14. Joseph

I believe this could be a great idea. After all the time (and money), they are able to create something like the big boom, then it would be worth it.

September 11, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  15. Kimberly

I really hope we dont get sucked into the black hole becasue our world has accomplished so many things and it would just be terrible if we did get sucked into it. Hopefully we dont.

September 11, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  16. Juni

I think this idea is irrational. Isn't the big bang JUST a theory? If its just a theory, how do we know whats going to happen when we re-enact it?

September 12, 2008 at 12:59 am |
  17. Kaylee

hey carl my hole class watches the show and alot were scared of being sucked into a black hole. do you think it will happen?
    😦 P.S keep the puns!!!!! 🙂

September 12, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  18. Jake

Dear Carl Azuz (And others of CNN student news) My friends started freaking out about the test of the big bang machine it was HILARIOUS!! People were running around and jokeing around about it. just tooo funny... our class watches your news everday, and if this is put on CNN, shoutout to my friends...BLAH...they'll know what it means.

September 12, 2008 at 6:40 pm |

Hmm... it seems pretty dumb to risk destroying the world... I think there's a limit to what people should know and have the power to do. I think the secrets of the universe were meant to be a secret to people. It isn't within our power to destroy a planet trying to know what created the universe. Nobody knows, and we probably aren't supposed to know. If any of that makes sense.

September 12, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  20. shaey

i think that the thing is stupid. who cares if there is another dimension. Why don't they worry about this dimension instead of trying to find a new one. Why don't scientist try to make our dimension more livable. What if it don't turn out the way they want it...BLACK HOLE. if they're stupid enough they would leave it alone so just in case it does turn into a black hole they don't die because if it does turn into a black hole they will be the first to dia.

September 13, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  21. micah

i dont really think that there is gonna be a black hole
    there isnt much chance of there being one anyway

September 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  22. Bryan

I think the black hole is cool..

September 13, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  23. Ryan

I believe that we are trying to learn to much. It would suck us into a dar hole.

September 15, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  24. Zeus

Key word, dumb! What if this thing creates a black hole! We will all die! And it will be all the scientists faults!

September 15, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  25. Kim

thank you for saying that now i feel a little comfortertable.

September 15, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  26. shaun

yeah i think that the black hole will not happen and like Carl said "if it was going to create a black hole then it would be illegal if it was going to make a black hole that would swallow the earth
    thanks for such a great web show.

September 15, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  27. Karisa

I never really thought that there would be a black hole. If there was a chance that there was a black hole they would not do the experiment. That's kool that it turned out!!!

September 16, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  28. Virginia

A black hole would be cool to see, but not cool to be sucked into.

September 16, 2008 at 6:00 pm |

I really don't think that there is anything to worry about expecially a black hole. But I would hate to be eaten by a black hole

September 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  30. Steve

It will be cool to see it!

September 17, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  31. just me;

pertaining to the big bang machine, and your response........was.........if and probably. i was'nt to awful concerned anyway. good thing. if and probably. i learned a long time ago.............assumption is the mother of all foul up's.

September 19, 2008 at 3:54 am |
  32. alexis

BIG MACHINE ,LITTLE RISK You mean big machine, huge risk . at poeples lives what are they talking about . maby i should't be so worried because it's not yhat close to me

September 24, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  33. Nick

i think there is a big risk

October 1, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  34. just another girl

I think that the big bang machine is a big risk but like they said if there is a black hole at all it wouldnt be strong enough to suck us all up. I though at first when tehy started talking about this. "why would they put our world in danger like that?" you know because i love life and i know a lot of others that do to. but really if God wanted us to know how the world started he would have left us with some safer way to find out. so obviously God doesnt want us to know how it started. all that matters is the world is here and we are on it. Lets not ruin that. I dont want to go against the scientist here but i just dont think that this is a great idea. i say leave Gods work to God.

January 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm |