.
September 2nd, 2008

What's On Your Mind?

We've been talking about doing a generic type of blog to give you a chance to comment on anything you've seen on our show.  This is it.

We get a lot of comments for topics we don't blog about, so here's your chance to tell us:  What's on your mind?

(And we'll keep doing this from time to time if you guys like it.)

Filed under: Behind the scenes • Feedback
  1. Clara

I noticed that in today's episode, you bring up John McCain's running mate, Sara Palin, but you don't have anything on your blog about her that's available for discussion. I was wondering, maybe you could add it?

September 2, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  2. Claire

Carl,
    I just want to say I love CNN student news. I watch it every day. The way i got started with it was my Social Studies teacher shows it to us every Friday. I also enjoy blogging on the A to Z with Carl Azuz. I think you should do a segment about economy or the stock market. I don't fully understand it. Also i heard of this organization called the welcome to america project. That organization helps refugees that settle into America. That would be cool. Really what i would like is if you would talk a little about charities. I want to get involved and i want my classmates to get involved as well.
    Thanks for your time!!!

September 2, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  3. Amira

Carl

How come you haven't talked about John McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin and her pregnant 17 year old daughter??

I don't think you should leave that story, teen pregnancy, out of the news.
    It is good to talk about controversial topics otherwise such problems will never go away.

Thanks,

Amira, St. Paul, Minnesota

September 3, 2008 at 10:51 am |
  4. Kayla

Carl

I am from St. Paul, Minnesota. I was wondering why President Bush didn't come to the Republican National Convention. He is supposed to be the leader of his party and I know he went down south for the Hurricane, but what good did he do there?

Peace

Kayla

September 3, 2008 at 10:58 am |
  5. Skylar M.

Hey Carl!
    My 5th grade class has an awesome shout-out idea! We think you should ask what GOP stands for!
    We love watching CNN student news! You rock, Azuz!

September 3, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  6. troy

i just wanted to say that i really like cnn news i watch it every day...they should give the kids in the shelter a lot more things to give the kids to do more things and try to tell them,that is not there home that they have a home and tell them the truth.....thanx for listening

September 3, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  7. Julie

whats on my mind?

jonas brothers all the way [:

(:

September 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  8. sean

Every week end my grandma and i watch the news. she acts like there is nothing else on tv.

September 3, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  9. david

I had a thought... maybe the world is just the inside of an atom...
    Think about it there are multiple planets in the universe and multiple particles in the atom,also lets not forget that most atoms are just empty space with electrons floating around in it. So maybe all atoms are are tiny little universes.

September 3, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  10. J.J.

I found it odd that one of your reporters mis-pronounced hurricane gustav. For future reference, i think you should have your reporters at least know how to pronounce what they're reporting about

September 3, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  11. Kevin

Yesterday the temperature was about 80 degrees and now it's 50!!!! Is this from Gustav????

September 3, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  12. Nickolas

I would like to know more on hurricane Gustav. Thank you

September 3, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  13. Nickolas

Like J.J. said about the repoter and the wod gustav.

September 3, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  14. Jessica

I love CNN Student news!!! What does GOP mean?

Jessica

September 3, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  15. chelsey

I fel so sorry forall those poor kids that r dealing with the hurricane. Expecally the kids that are going through it twice. They are so young.

September 3, 2008 at 8:35 pm |
  16. bob

I feel so sorry for all the children that are dealing with the hurricane. Even all the children that are dealing with the second one. they are so young.

September 3, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  17. keith from chicago

Mr. Wolf when the DNC was in progress a pastor was giving a prayer at the end of the and Mr. Wolf would not stop talking to reporters. Tonight you stopped the reporters to listen to music lets stay with the facts we don't need music.

September 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  18. Skyler

Talk about music.

September 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  19. jasmine

your jokes are so not funny.you really need writer for your cheese jokes.
    no one in the world think your are funny except for my teacher miss Blume.will that what friend said.but i think your jokes are really funny no not really. i like the old new caster better. this for class 62. i'm just saying, what they want me to tell you.

September 4, 2008 at 2:09 am |
  20. Paul

Tonight you said "Just like at the Democratic convention" when you did a story on the hundreds of protesters arrested at the GOP convention. I'm unable to find a single reference to demonstrators at the 2008 Democratic convention. Exactly how were the sometimes-violent protests in Milwaukee that resulted in 100's arrested like the Democratic convention of this year?

Paul
    Lincoln, Nebraska

September 4, 2008 at 4:23 am |
  21. Tiffany

I don't know what to talk about, but I like to leave a comment. 😉

September 4, 2008 at 6:10 am |
  22. Jack

Carl :
    Good news, Carl! My family have a new born baby! My familiy name is Azuz, and my mother is crazy about you so she named him Carl! So there's TWO Carl Azuzs! More awesome them Fridays!

September 4, 2008 at 6:31 am |
  23. Tiffany to Jack

REALLY! That's sooo cool!

September 4, 2008 at 6:31 am |
  24. Alice

Hmm...what's on my mind?Global warming, I think. And how the polar bears are.

September 4, 2008 at 6:55 am |
  25. Cris

CNN Student News is awesome! My social studies class watches it every day. Work on your jokes, though.

September 4, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  26. Sara

Thanks Carl!! I needed a blog like this since I had no idea where to put my updates on Zac Sunderland. You should talk about him. He rocks!! 🙂

Update on Zac Sunderland!! He is on his way to Darwin, Australia and has made a temporary stop in Port Moseby. If you want to send Zac anything when he reaches Darwin in about 2 Weeks and staying for the period of one week here is his address!!

Darwin address:
    Mr. Zac Sunderland
    c/- Darwin G.P.O.
    Cavanagh Street
    Darwin, NT 0800
    Australia
    Mark it: 'To Be Collected'

Show some support to our circumnavigating hero. 😀
    If you have no idea who Zac is, go here...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/studentnews/06/27/transcript.mon/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

It is CNN Student News' 2nd Summer Web Cast. 🙂

September 4, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  27. Savannah

I think that we should have to help the ones thet flood and we should let them stay were they won't and they are just as many more places

P.S I love the cnn news ?

September 4, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  28. david

Yay you posted my thiorie about the universe!

September 4, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  29. Valentin

Hey everybody!

I'm french and i podcast every day student news on itunes. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also a young journaliste (22) in a french radio and the reason why i'm writing here is that i have to do a little report. It's about US adolescents websites, the one which are the most visited by them.

Can someone give me some advice on that?

😉

September 4, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  30. Morgan

John Mcain was already on the bubble with me as it was, but choosing a running mate that has:

1.A daughter that is 17, unmarried and pregnant.

2Only a 1 year old passport

3. Very little govenor experiance.

Now, im 100% Obama!!

September 4, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  31. Patrick

Are people really that scared of Mcain's running mate? To ask the U.S.A "Do we want some one that has a 17 year old daughter thats pregnant and with 4 other kids for vice president?" Please share my blog!!!!!:)

September 4, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  32. skylar

i mean im all for the presidental campain but where is Obamas time to shine i have been watching since my school started but all ive heard about the presidential campain is macain this and macain this i mean he is important but what about obama. Obama is awesome he rocks!!! Do you think you could mention more about obama he is the best of the best well got to go talk back later

September 4, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  33. Devin

Carl, you guys on cnn student news should do a report on people that are suffering from the war. that way it could help others see how what is really happening. Also for places like Darfur (i hope i spelled it right) where the are getting pushed out of their homes and that we can do something to help them.

from, Devin

September 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  34. rachel

we have been watching this in class and i really like the one at the end about how people throw plates at that 1 thing!!!

September 4, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  35. lorraine

i think its a disgrace that all u do is talk about obhma while airing the rep convetion, u did not one time say anthing about the rep while the king u all have crowned was doing his performance i have never watch a more bias and sexist tv station by a media the rep last nite ws about uniting the party and not the issues and u all know that but u still mis lead your public on these issues how dare u what kind of deal do u have going on with obhma and the dems that u would do such a thing i hope mccain and the pit bull makes u all eat crow then give there rights of media to gleen beck cnn is bias sexist and upset because u didnot see this coming oh well this is amercia and your station should practice fariness and the pledge u all took when u went to school this is a important election this is not a game so stop treating is as such this is the future of oulives and childrens lives and grandchildren this is going to be for 4 years ther are no takebacks just likethere were no take backs on bush grow up and do your jobs fairly

September 4, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  36. Brianna

I would be happy to give you my opinion on McCain's veep pick, Sarah Palin. First of all, this was a low, dirty, admittedly last-minute move by the McCain campaign. To me, it seems completely obvious that Palin was chosen for only three reasons: to draw the women vote, especially from disappointed Hillary supporters; to bring the special-needs vote because of her baby with Down's-Syndrome; and to help pull the conservative vote, where McCain is lacking. To me, these are bad reasons.

Oh by the way, I love CNN Student News because they show everything balanced in politics. And that's REALLY important. See ya tomorrow, Carl!

September 4, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  37. Lizz

I agree with Lorraine. You know there are some republicans out here!
    Could you please talk a little more about John McCain's Beliefs and less about the size of cheerleaders' skirts!! I would greatly appreciate that.

September 4, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  38. Tiffandorf!

i believe that your one amazing guy!..your hilarious..i giggle..i love your sweaters you wear! they are cool! woot woot!

September 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Drew

I didn't know much about the Republican vice president candidate, but the more I learned, the more I'm shocked that she is even considered for the position. Her ideals about anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, and the teaching of creationism seem to drag the Country backwards rather than forwards. Though her 17- year old pregnant unmarried daughter may enhance her stand on anti-abortion, it shows that shes irresponsible enough to let her daughter get pregnant, so how can we trust her to run this country? Though McCain probably did it to gain the support of disappointed Hilary supporters, how they even consider such a candidate, especially considering that McCain is the oldest president at 72 and the risks attached to old age, for example death.

September 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  40. elizadeth

i think this guy in room 62 is so hot .Every time i see him i melt to the floor but my friend in room 62 has a big crust on him too. i would really like to ask him out but i am to scared and also my friend would hate me. so what should i do .please on put this on the next show.

September 5, 2008 at 2:09 am |
  41. Brynley

Hi Carl I like your shows but could you talk more about Sarah Palin's 17 year old preagnt daughter? By the way I love your sweaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 5, 2008 at 7:49 am |
  42. Alice

I think Beijing is so badly polluted! It was gray when I saw it on the show! I just cant' imagine living there! 😦
    Be green,everyone! Don't wait until the last tree is cut down,or someday we'll have to wear masks to survive...or even worse!

September 5, 2008 at 8:44 am |
  43. Brianna And Kaitlyn

I enjoy watching the Presidential Election Part of the Student News In our classroom we watch the StudentNews and are asked a question on it every day!

September 5, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  44. Arcuri

Whats on my mind? Mostly pokemon. I wish pokemon was a small pert of the campaign. Like how thay say that Obama is some sorta god, Arceus is the pokemon god. So why don't people compare pokemon to people? Oy vey.

how to say my name ( Are-ceu-rii)

September 5, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  45. Maggie M

Ilove the puns they add more to the show plus they are funny to me.

September 5, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  46. Will

What's on my mind is that you need to mention my 7th grade class from Memphis, TN on CNN student news! that would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 5, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  47. Kelsey

i don't know why I am writing this, but I am so nervous! I just moved up a level in gymnastics, and today is my first competition. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go obama!

September 6, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  48. Kaitlyn

I think the country has a hard choice to make, do we want our first black president or the first female vice president for the Republican party! Personaly i think that we should vote Obama for president because the country is used to male people running, so it would only be his skin color we would have to ajust to ...wich shouldnt be hard, i mean it shouldnt matter what people look like on the outside, but whats on the inside. people care about what he is going to do for the country not what color skin he has!

September 6, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  49. Kenny

Thanks for being back online. I use your podcasts in the classroom 5-7 times a month with different groups. I teach English as a second language in Slovakia. I enjoy your podcasts. I know schools were on vacation but my lessons continued throughout the summer. I just wanted you to know that I am very happy that you are BACK TO SCHOOL (REPORTING). THANKS!

September 6, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  50. taylor

well,
    whats on my mind?

alcohol!!!

i think the age should be lowered to at least 18,
    because people at that age drink anyways.
    so then they can't get in trouble for drinking underage..
    because you would be 18.

the drinking age is too high in my opinion.
    it should be lowered so maybe less young adults would get in trouble

September 8, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  51. taylore

obama'08!

September 8, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  52. libby

well i would have to say that
    i think that the lower of the drinking age would be best so that
    the kids that aren't able to drink are going to make them want to drink
    even more, i think that you should just lower it to 18 so there is no more underage drinking. but if you lower it it would be best cause then that means the goverment trust us
    so maybe we well have more respect the goverment....
    so i think that you should lower the drinking age thanks for ur time
    allways libby

September 8, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  53. libby

i think u should keep the pun cause we would understand it better...
    allways libby

September 8, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  54. Abby

I think you should keep the pun STAY PUNNY

September 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  55. Chris

Carl please stop with the cheezy jokes they're not funny.Go buy a new joke book the one you are using is not working.This friendly advise.I dare you to come in a aloha shirt to work.And I think that they should make drink back to 18,because there can be a law 2 drinks ownly in bars.And GO MC CAIN FOR PREZ!!!!!This from class 62.

September 8, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  56. Alice

The doctors in Iraq on Monday's show are really great! 🙂

September 9, 2008 at 2:05 am |
  57. destiny

Hey when that man ate all of that chill I could not belive that he could eat all that. It is really amazing that he juist had to eat that much for that much money

September 9, 2008 at 8:07 am |
  58. destiny

I can not belive that people are leting childern miss school for going to the gov. to boycotting

September 9, 2008 at 8:09 am |
  59. Erin

We just got back to school last week...and my class thinks:

1 – "Before We Go" needs to be more lighthearted and funny (like it was last year).

2 – There needs to be more election coverage...we're REALLY into it!

Thanks for listening (or reading, I guess).

September 10, 2008 at 1:47 am |
  60. madison

well today on cnn news i have heard that barack obama was commenting the saying what sarah palin did the other day. quote"lipstick on a pig. today barack obama said that quote and added that if you put lipstick on a pig it will still be a pig no matter what.that is just like saying if you put lipstick on john mccain he is still john mccain right.

September 10, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  61. madison

also added on to what i said before me or my parents haven't heard one thing about health care from a republican.

September 10, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  62. Muscatine High School

Carl! Why are you sitting on the opposite side on Friday's show? It has caused Miss Proffitt's first hour some distress!

September 12, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  63. Trilby

Our 8th grade class has been watching this every day and just to let you know

(1) carl you missed a pun or two

(2) we really feel that it was way more funny last year and intresting

(3) we are just not as into it as last year

please make changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 12, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  64. Lisa

Carl,

Are you feeling ok??? You missed today's pun!!!!!

September 12, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  65. Lisa

ok, this has been bugging me.....
    i want to know is did McCain pick Palin or her Daughter?
    No
    So why does it matter, was it Sarah Palin's plan to have here own 17 year old daughter get pregnant...... no.... so why judge Sarah Palin by something she DIDN'T do? Does that sound fair or like a reason to not vote for McCain. I think she is a good person. You shoun't not vote for them for something that has nothing to do with politics.

September 12, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  66. Lisa

he picked sarah not her daughter

September 12, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  67. merissa

hey carl how have you been i would like to ask you to make thaem just a bit longer so that we can have more lisening time and i love the puns that you do they are so funny

Merissa

September 12, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  68. Claire

Hey Carl,
    It's me again. Anyway I would really like to thank you and all of CNN for putting the segment about 9/11 on today's show. I lost my Uncle on September 11th, 2001. I remember it still. Many kids were young then and need to be reminded of that fateful day. Here in Arizona there are few who lost family members and/or friends. My dad was one of three people who lost a family member on 9/11 who helped create the 9/11 memorial in Phoenix. I think that day should always be honored every year. Many years have gone by but we should always, always remember to NEVER FORGET.
    That segment really meant a lot to me and my family I know, so thank you, Again.

September 12, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  69. Claire

Why should you people be complaining about things when people who lost their husband or are starving in the world have it so much worse. I am not saying I am perfect, just that you should think about others.

September 12, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  70. Alyssa

Hey I love your show my class loves it too!I really think you should mention a thing or two about John Mccain campian and aboutSarah Palin pregnant17 year old daughter.

Hope you mention it! GO OBAMA! GO WWE!

September 13, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  71. micah

I really like the before we go part that is my favorite
    GO CARL

September 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  72. micah

Why is your desk so small?

September 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  73. Alice

Those tainted milk...oh,no. 😦
    I'm glad I don't drink milk much,but there are other products that contains milk...

September 14, 2008 at 4:26 am |
  74. Evan

I would just like to clarify a recent commercial by Barrack Obama. I the commercial is says that John Mcain is going to spend 10 million in Iraq. This might be true although I have no idea where he would get this information. The funny thing is Barrack Obama wants to pull everyone out of Iraq, making us a bunch of quiters, and march a mile to the east to Afganistan and fight yet another battle. So just remember to NOT believe everything you hear on television, investigate the truth for yourself. Note: Hey Biden, you better watch out for Sarah Palin, she has fired an M16 with the armed forces, and she is coming to get you. In the poles of course.

September 15, 2008 at 7:44 am |
  75. shauney

I thing the best thing about the show is the pun at the end
    thanks for making it fun
    =P

September 16, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  76. Tiffany

Maybe you can create a show interviewing a homeschooled child.

September 17, 2008 at 6:19 am |
  77. BRONCO FAN

WELL I'M GLAD THE DENVER BRONCOS R 2-0 AND THEY BEAT THE RAIDERS ANOTHER THING I'M GLAD ABOUT. U KNOW HOW THEY CALL THE BRONCOS DONKEYS WELL I CALL THE RAIDERS THE BALLARINAS TAKE THAT RAIDER FANS.

JUST KIDDING BUT I STILL LIKE THE BRONCOS

September 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  78. Jose

You guys should put more news for us kids to watch.My whole class likes Cnn news,so try to make it longer so we don't do work!

September 17, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  79. Jose

Also from the last jose my class gets sad when our teacher says "No ccn news if you keep talking".AWW!

September 17, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  80. Emily

Carl,

This doesn't have much to do with the show's contents but we were in class yesterday watching the show and one of my friends started complaining about how they changed the Spoken Word music. I didn't notice the first day but after a while I realized that it was more like elevator music than the cool upbeat music you used to have.

My question?? Why did you change it?? We miss the upbeat tune.

September 17, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  81. Ryan

Hey just reminding you that Friday is International Pirate Day. Me and my friends have been counting down the days and a mention on Cnn news would be the best.!

September 17, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  82. Ryan

Ugh i messed up i meant to say "International Talk like a Pirate Day"

September 17, 2008 at 8:19 pm |
  83. Nick

barak and roll poeple obama for pres

October 1, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  84. Amanda

I wish we could bring makeup ta school.

October 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  85. Mike

Can someone tell me why as a country we are not concerned that China is poisoning us. Has anyone stopped lately and considered the Chinese want to 'eat our lunch'. They are manufacturing more than half the products you see on the shelves at the store. They are buying out companies and failing business. They are getting so powerful that they actually don't care if they supply us with raw materials anymore. The Chinese are educating their children better and teaching them discipline. Wake up America they are communist!!!!! We are going to wake up one day and realize we are no longer a free country because the money you saved from buying a product made in China is fueling the Communist machine!!!

October 2, 2008 at 1:32 pm |