.
September 2nd, 2008

Puns, Jokes and Winces

A viewer named Adam wrote in today asking about the puns at the end of the show and "at the way Carl winces every time he says one."  Here's how all that got started: 

I was the writer of CNN Student News before I actually appeared on the program.  And since I'm kinda cheesy (which I'm sure you've figured out by now), I decided to have a little fun after "Before We Go" segments by writing a pun here and there.  Before long, teachers started writing in saying that their students either liked or groaned at all the puns, but that they added an element of fun to the show that y'all liked to predict.  So when I took over as anchor, our new writer, Jordan Bienstock, continued the tradition.

I guess the winces are just my reaction to actually having to say them on air - as opposed to just writing puns for other anchors.  But hey, if you dish it out, you gotta take it.

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. 3R!C

i think carl azuz is really cool he makes cnn student news realy cool i got his back

September 2, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  2. Devin

Carl, yes your jokes are a little lame and all but hey your not the only one some teachers in my school try at jokes but they are a little lame. So really you should visit schools and get the idea that we like different jokes plus that would be pretty sweet if you visited my school (hint,hint) ^_^. Plus I just to say I really didn't care about the news until my awesome S.S teacher (Mr. Casorio) about you people so (also if you put this on the show i get 10 more points on a grade) (don't say that on the show if this goes on) (hahahaha i made a joke.)

0_0

September 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  3. Devin

P.S. my school is Canton Middle School (if you decide to visit) (hint,hint)

September 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  4. DONALD

Hello my names is donald and I wonder if you tell me about the cheerleaders because they have to were uniform over the cheeleading outfit would that be just plain old werid is'nt. sincerly, DONALD

September 3, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  5. Tiffany

I think some of them are lame but some of them are funny. You could have a blog post for kids to say what they think is funny and use it. Sometimes people try to joke around, but it's just so not funny. But it's good to know that you're just tryin' to make us laugh. Which, mostly (coughs) didn't work. xD

September 4, 2008 at 6:18 am |
  6. Sara

I love your jokes Carl! Ok, so they are not super intelligent, who cares? Your fans sure don't! 😀

September 4, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  7. Tre', Charis and Tavius

Every time we hear your puns we usually groan and say Ugggh, that was a stupid Pun Carl!

September 4, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  8. Lizz

Unlike some people my SS class is polite and we don't groan out loud.(even if we want to;-)) I think your puns are kinda sorta lame but hey don't most grown ups ? Keep them up carl we'll still watch the podcasts =-D

September 4, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  9. Tiffany

I don't groan at your puns or laugh at it. Well, sort of like "no feelings" while watching it.

September 5, 2008 at 7:49 am |
  10. M.McClay

My second hour World Cultural Geography Honors Class voted.

30 Students

27 Keep them coming!
    3 Don't care. Hope they don't care that they are failing now... That's just a bad joke!

September 5, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  11. Jessica

Keep the puns!

September 5, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  12. alejandro

the puns are also educational to the students of gilbert AZ.keep the puns my class likes the puns so much. =]

September 5, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  13. lowes

keep the puns!!!!!

September 5, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  14. alejandro

my class has 39 people, 34 liked your puns and the rest didnt. but please keep punning on

September 5, 2008 at 3:56 pm |

Keep the puns:D! I enjoy them a lot.bahaha most of my class does. I have 32 and only 3 don't like it. Don't let them put you down.

September 5, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  16. Angie

i love your puns. They may be a little cheesy but aren't puns supposed to be. Keep them up carl(my class also thinks it gives them something to talk about).

September 5, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  17. Scottie

Carl, keep the puns. They're fun, and really make me feel like I know you a lot better, like a funny uncle or something. You should come over to my school and we'll do lunch!

September 5, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  18. Austin

Dear Carl,
    Your Puns at the end are amazing. I am very sad to hear of this conflict. Your puns start off my day in the right direction. CNN Student News would never be the same without the catchy phrases and laughs of Carl Azuz.

Austin,
    Mr. Olsen's Class ( the bestest)

September 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Lillian

I love puns!!! I personaly think you should do them

sincerely,
    Lillian

September 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  20. talia

you should defenetly keep your jokes there so funny like friday about the president cookies when you said there makeing a lote of dogh .Well I love your show

September 6, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  21. Anna

I think the puns are great and add excitement to the show! I like to try and guess what the pun will be because they relate to the articles! Keep them on the show.

September 6, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  22. carl

i really like the bad puns that you do at the end of the show. It leaves the show a fun note. I would be dissapointed if the puns went away.

September 7, 2008 at 8:55 am |
  23. smiley, AKA James

Pun on carl!!!!! they make my face go (: !! keep thaose puns!

September 7, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  24. adam

once again im commenting are class has a doge ball team named after you were making t shirts with your puns on the back and we can not make them with only 7 we will send you a t shirt if you want one we love you carl put the puns back on

adam colin ty wes kyle

September 7, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  25. jenna

CARL!!!!! I LOVE YOUR PUNS!! SERIOUSLY!!! OUR JOURNALISM CLASS LIVES FOR YOUR PUNS!! whenever it's you on student news we ALWAYS cheer!!! and after your pun we all go OH CARL!!! WE WANT THE PUN!

September 8, 2008 at 6:04 am |
  26. Jason

Love the Puns,

They add humor to a newscasts that have serious overtones.

September 8, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  27. austin

its like taking bacon away from a breakfast. so don't take them away

September 8, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  28. Stell

Well with no puns at the end it kinda sounds odd cause we're so used to the pun at the end and normally when you say the pun we're like haha so funny (using sarcasm). Our teacher Mr.Geiger always gives off a big laugh and says "haha oh Carl..." I guess it wouldn't be the same with out the pun at the end of the show. Oh and Carl please please please can you give a shout out to Mr.Geiger's class on the next CNN Student News! We watch it everyday in class and i thought it would be cool! Thanks! 🙂

September 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  29. pablo

puns to stay yaaaay i love ur puns yet stupid but hilarious lol

September 9, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  30. olyn

The school uniforms are apropiet on football days and there just showing school spirit.Bye

September 10, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  31. merissa

hi carl how are you my class loves thoose puns the\at you say. some are very dump but that is the good part of the puns so keep them gon carl love em

merissa

September 12, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  32. grshen

We all love your puns!

0_0

Although they are a bit groany. But they're still awesome! lol. xD

September 13, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  33. i dont remember

i dont like puns

September 23, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  34. Alina

They add to the show, especially after you've reported on something bad, some attack or something, they leave the show on a positive note, even if some of them are groaners.

September 24, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  35. Nina

I know it's cheesy, but it's AWESOME!! I loved that on todays show! Carl rocks my world.. just to let ya know =)

October 1, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  36. Matt

Carl is to pun
    as
    Hydrogen and Oxygen is to air.
    Think about that one

October 9, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  37. danny

your puns need ALOT of work haha

October 16, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  38. Trae

Carl, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your funny

October 30, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  39. Whanience

Hello! good site, thank you!

November 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Rouccudge

good site. Continue also

November 10, 2008 at 12:20 am |
  41. bamFommaKnorb

Thank you very much for a good site

November 12, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  42. Siseevive

The good convenient site is made.

November 13, 2008 at 6:45 pm |