.
August 27th, 2008

Politics: Who Cares?

I wasn't political at all as a kid.  In fact, I wasn't even into politics when I was in college.  Some of my friends were, and I respected them for it.  But if there was a meeting of the Young Democrats or Republicans or Libertarians or whatever, I was miles away.

It was only when I started working as a journalist that I got exposed to all this stuff - from the rhetoric to the strategy to the tricks the parties use to get or take away votes - and that's when it got interesting.  I'm not saying I'd ever want to BE a politician, but it's fun to watch them go after jobs and each other.

You, on the other hand, are more informed than I was.  If you're reading this blog, it's because you watch CNN Student News.  You've seen the DNC this week and will see the RNC next week.  You know who the candidates are and, hopefully, a little bit about what they stand for.

So I wonder if it surprised you at all to see the sixth-grade girl cover the DNC or the 11-year-old political Web site creator.  And on a slightly more important level... I'd like to know if you care about politics.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. sarabeth

I don't care who becomes president, i think they both will do us good but i just think that we need someone to be able to support our economy, help us get the prices back down to normal and also do something for global warming.

I think Obama is good, I think McCain is good. Who ever gets in will be better than Bush, i definitly believe that, i think most people do.

Like they say "Let the best man win" and he will.

August 27, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  2. SB

I think they both are good canidates. Whoever wins wins.

August 27, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  3. Sara

I care about politics bcause it affects me as an individual and our whole country and I want our country to be headed to a good/better place.I know that if I try I can make a difference. 😀
    But, I think it is ridiculous how much media coverage they have on everything. I already know the canidiates stand on the issues and don't need a to watch a debate between professors on how the canidiates size up. It's all too much!! The Bible helps me size them up and if I was old enough to vote; I would already know who I would vote for. So, I care about politics but, I'm not obsessed. 😛

Oh, and Shout-Out to that 6th grade girl! She's Awesome!!! That shows that we all can make a difference in politics. 😀

August 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  4. Kinzy

My parents are leaning toward Barack. I think he will make a great president. I love politics! I like Barack because he will definitely bring our troops home! I can't wait to see all the smiling faces! So many people will be happy.

August 28, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  5. Ben

all i know is that obama is winning and i think thats great bush just did terriable and one thing i dont get is why everyone was all like no he cant be presidant hes not christion who cares curch and state are sepreate and if the world is too ignorant to see that than just send me too the moon

August 28, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  6. Molly

I think it is great that that girl knows so much but I believe it should be up to adults to decide who to vote for. Children don't understand everything and sometimes don't really know what they are standing for.

August 28, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  7. Lane

Who ever becomes the president needs to do something with the war and something about the economy. Because if they don't, us kids will end up with gas prices that are way worse than they are now.

August 28, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Grace

Politics to me as a teenager is important!!! Were the future and should really look into what candidates views on things are! But for me it's MCCAIN ALL THE WAY BABY!

August 29, 2008 at 7:20 am |
  9. Grace

and to everyone who thinks about troops coming home..IT'S IMPOSSIBLE just so you know. I have a brother serving in Iraq, yes I do miss him alot. I don't want anything to happen to him but that can't make me stop thinking of how much they are doing for our nation and over there. My other brother is training for the navy too. i love them both.

August 29, 2008 at 7:22 am |
  10. Hunter

I do care about politics!I wold like to have good leaders to serve out country,but the war should stop!I know we need troops,but the war has gone on too long!It needs to stop!

August 29, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  11. Danny

I can see the flip side to politics. Some people think it's BORING! While others think it's intresting. Personaly, I believe whether you find politics exciting, or horribly boring, you have to see the opposite side. Politics effects the way our economy works and, how we live. Politics is envolved in the president we elect, and the choices our newly-elected- president makes. It's a huge part of our lives!!!

August 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  12. Melody

I would 100% vote for McCain if i were older because he was a POW and he's a Christain. Obama however( or should I say NObama) says if he is elected president of the U.S.A, he will take our great national motto off of the bills, which has been our motto for decades now and he's critizing the Christians in the U.S., which is a BIG portion of the U.S.A.

August 30, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  13. Jessi

i think both of the canidates have done some verrrrrrrrry stupid stuff lately, but my class and i r leaning to McCain because obama is going to change everything that our country has worked so hard to acheve!!!!

September 2, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  14. Julie

i vote obama 08.
    [if i could vote]
    and its not impossible for the troops to come home.

September 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  15. lil' werewolf

why do we need to know this stuff. its not like we r old enough 2 vote.

September 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  16. Virginia

I think it's important that children today know about what's going on in the political world so it can help them make decisions about who to vote for in certain elections when they are older.

September 3, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  17. tyler

I think that McCain will win because of his vice president pick – Sarah Palin. I believe he will get the gas prices lowered and that he will get the troops to come home.(USA USA!)

September 3, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  18. Tiffany

I didn't really care about politics, because I don't like some of the politians at my country. They seem like they're always arguing about something or getting angry or doing the wrong things, it's just that there's no positive things! But I think America is a bit different. (Not that ours are worse!) Maybe it's because of the history and culture that are different. Anyway, I think I've typed too much.

September 4, 2008 at 6:21 am |
  19. Tiffany

p.s. And I didn't really know much about politics. 😉

September 4, 2008 at 6:23 am |
  20. Tiffany

Plus, every canidates have positive and nagative things, no one is all bad or all perfect.

September 4, 2008 at 6:24 am |
  21. Alice

I don't really want to care about politics because sometimes they get so complicated. 😛
    But I know that I have to care somehow because...well, I live in this world.

September 4, 2008 at 7:01 am |
  22. Lizz

I use to be like you Carl but now that I've started watching cnn student news, I am majorly strong about how John McCain is the way to go!!!
    JOHN McCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  23. kary

NO WAY
    NO HOW
    NO MCCAIN

September 5, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  24. Paris

I like politics and yall have interesting news on the election when I don't watch the speeches.

September 5, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  25. JOSHUA

I DONT CARE WHO WIN AS LONG AS THAY MAKE ARE CONTRY BETER.

September 5, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  26. AlexisLeann

GO JOHN McCAIN!!!!!!!!!! : O

September 6, 2008 at 4:07 am |
  27. Kelsey

I am very interested iin politics.
    GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 6, 2008 at 10:01 am |
  28. heather

if i vote, i will vote for OBAMA.
    but in any aspect,
    there are many changes in USA

September 6, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  29. Landon

For some reason, i've gotten into this election a lot more than i have been. I think McCain will win president, halfway because of his running mate Sarah Palin. She's awsome!!!!!! The other half, McCain is a POW and he has more experience than Obama will ever have!!!! If i could vote, it would definitely be for McCain.

September 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  30. Morgan

Polictics not only effect the adults if the the country but the ALL of the citizens of America. For me I like Obama but I like the Republican vice president candiate Sara Payton too. SO which to choose.

September 12, 2008 at 8:56 pm |

Well, with this election, I've gotten a bit more interested in politics. It's a really tough competition, McCain and Obama. They both have great ideas and opinions, but I guess only one of them can be president.

September 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  32. micah

LET THE BEST MAN WIN (JOHN McCAIN)

September 13, 2008 at 2:58 pm |