.
August 11th, 2008

COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS!

Just one week to go before we kick off a new school year!  Our first, daily show goes on the air next Monday, August 18th.  You can tape or DVR it on Headline News at 4:00 a.m. EST (no, I'm not up that late), watch it at CNNStudentNews.com, or download it on iTunes.  And for extra credit, you can find us On Demand; we do a weekly special for Comcast that should resume airing in another week or two.

And of course, teachers can find FREE educational materials at our home page, which links you to our Ten Questions, Newsquizzes, Learning Activities, One-Sheets, Quick Guides, Transcripts...

I'm looking forward to getting back in the anchor chair and bringing you your daily broadcast of CNN Student News.  Hope you're enjoying the last days of the summer!  And we also hope you'll keep in touch throughout the '08-'09 year, giving us regular feedback and shouting out your questions on this here blog!

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. mrs. Summe

Hey Carl Just have to tell you what big fans we are of yours here at the Advent Episcopal School in Birmingham, ALabama. My 7th graders LOVED your "cheesy" jokes last year and are looking forward to many more this year!!!!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  2. Sara

WHOOOO! Can't wait! I hope you had time to work on your jokes this summer Carl. 😀 See you in a week.

August 11, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  3. Tiffany

I'm actually homeschooled, so I really don't have anything like starting or ending school. As I said before, everyday is a schoolday and a holiday! I like being homeschooled, and I don't have to deal with problems at school like, bullying, cliques, mean teacher etc. But I think being in school is great, too! 'Cause you can make more friends, I think. Well, I wish all of you who are going back to school have a nice school year. Good luck!

August 12, 2008 at 6:19 am |
  4. Carl Azuz, Anchor

Sara and Mrs. Summe–
    While I can't promise the jokes will be any better this year, I have a feeling there will be plenty more of them (and that I'll be groaning right along with you)! One of the things I love about this show is the chance I get to have a little fun at the end of a good "Before We Go" segment...

Tiffany–
    It's great to see that you're in tune with CNN Student News from your home. Though we talk about the classroom a lot, there are many homeschoolers who watch the program, and we welcome every one of them.

Thanks for writing in, y'all!

August 12, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  5. Sara to Tiffany & Carl

Hey Tiffany! Your not alone! I'm a homeschooler too. 🙂 Great to find a fellow homeschooler. And just like you I love not having to deal with all the bullying and cliques at schools now adays. Although I am not anti-school. It all really depends on the person and/or family.

Hey Carl! Thanks for writing me! It is so cool to have a chance to chat with you. Maybe the CNN Student News Team should do a segment about homeschoolers this new year. That would be awesome!! 😀 Some people have sterotypes about homeschooling and the segement might help clear things up. Inform the Public is what I say!

Later!!

August 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  6. Tonio

Hi Carl,

hope your summer went well and you got some vacation yourself. I spent a week at an airfield southeast of Berlin, where the World Gliding Championships take place this year. Quite interesting to see the best glider pilots of the world showing their best flying skills.

It's great to read you'll return with CNN Student News soon, one of the high points of the day I'm looking forward to.
    I still have two weeks of holidays left, then my last school year will begin. Because I'm not really the most hard-working student in my school (that's because I'm more interested in other things), I still have to rollback some stuff from my last year to pass the final exams a the end of the next year.

Boy that's gonna be hard.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing/reading from you again,

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

August 12, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  7. Tiffany to Sara

WOW! It's so COOL to know someone is a homeschooler, too! And, are a Taiwanes? I'm one!

August 14, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  8. Alice (to Sara&Tif)

Hey! I'm a homeschooler toooo! Yeah! 😀
    Great idea, Sara!
    Can't wait for the first daily webcast.

August 14, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  9. Alice

The Games really brings people together.
    Tonight (8/14) at 7:00pm
    Baseball-Chinese Taipei vs Japan
    CT!CT!GO!GO!GO!!!! 😄

August 14, 2008 at 5:52 am |
  10. Phil

CNN needs desperately to have an "Educational" tab at the top of their home pages as well as the Educational info tab down the page before "TECH"!
    No wonder education takes a second seat with much of the USA public – it's not there available to all – one has to dig out the educational articles!

August 14, 2008 at 6:56 am |
  11. Sara (to Tiffany & Alice)

Sorry Tiffany, I guess the similarites end there, I'm American. But, that's ok, still loving homeschooling.

Alice-Thanks for the support of my idea fellow homeschooler! Maybe if we get enough people on the blog supporting it Carl will just have to say "Yes"!!

Tonight–MORE MICHAEL PHELPS!!! GO FOR THE GOLD BABY!

August 14, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  12. Tiffany

Many we can tell CNN Student News to visit interview some homeschoolers! That would be cool. And we can know some of their schedules etc.

August 16, 2008 at 2:24 am |
  13. Sara

That sounds great Tiffany! Give both the postitve and negative of homeschooling. Although there's not alot of negativity. (I'm biased :-D)
    Maybe show the fun homeschooling can add to your day.

August 18, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  14. Devin

Carl i have to say man, the jokes ain't the best but ya'll have a pretty good show. we try to watch it every day in my Government/Economic class with Mr. rinks. although his projector don't work have the time we still enjoy the ten minutes of freedom from work and the informative news we get in turn

August 21, 2008 at 1:10 am |
  15. Travman

you rock & roll

August 21, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  16. Kellie

Carl, two words, CAN'T WAIT! 🙂

September 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm |