.
July 1st, 2008

Preparing?

In the post about sailor Zac Sunderland (published June 30), an anonymous viewer commented with the question, "How many teens can say that they have at least made an honest attempt to circumnavigate the world via the sea?"

The short answer is "not many," and we don't suggest anyone try it in water wings.  But one thing about Sunderland that really impressed me was his preparation.  He's taking everything into account, like places where he can stay, how much food he can fit in the boat, which course(s) to take...  It's not that other sailors never think of these things; it's just that Sunderland obviously knows what he's doing - including the risks he's taking and how to circumnavigate (get it?) them.

Our daily program resumes on CNN Headline News on Monday, August 18, and we're already preparing for it.  From writing and producing everything from promos to new reports, CNN Student News is very much on task, if off the air.  Are you doing anything to prepare for the upcoming school year?  How about your plans for the summer?

Filed under: Uncategorized

I guess I'll start this "comment chain": I am reading my summer reading assignments for my AP Literature Class. I have to read "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "MacBeth" by "The Bard" William Shakespeare, and "Light in Augusta" by William Faulkner.

In addition to this I'm reviewing my French from the past 2 years in preparation for my family's trip to Europe! I like to believe that I'm "almost fluent" and I am taking French 3 next year! Qu'est-ce que vous pensez?

And finally I am starting to fill out college applications so that I can fill in everything I know and find out everything I don't!

-Taylor

July 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Tonio

If the money's fine, I'm going to prepare myself for the theoretical exam of my private glider pilot license. It's quiet expensive, because it costs about 160 US$ and an extra 160$ for training material. That's why I can't do it right now, which means I'm stuck in the schooling at a certain point.

It's one point I have to approach the next time.

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

July 2, 2008 at 1:44 am |
  3. Sara

Again I comment on how amazing Zack S. is (and cute 🙂 ) for circumnavigating the world and good luck to him. I'm going to regularly check his blog for updates (He's slow going because of low wind. He's not even past Hawaii yet. So, pray for wind but, not storms!).

Preparing for school-Well, this summer I'm going to practice Italian, piano and math. I'm always reading books so, no change there. Also, doing Driver's Ed and writing lots and lots. Also I want to practice sports like Tennis, Basketball and Volleyball (I was an inside girl when I was younger). So alot of plans and fun. 😀
    Oh, and Bible Camp and VBS!!!!! YA!!!

July 2, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  4. Alice

I(and some people my age)are going to a remote place to help the kids with their homeworks there!

July 2, 2008 at 7:54 pm |

Everyone is doing such interesting things! I think it is really neat that Tonio wants to be a pilot, in fact my brother wants to do the same thing! And Sara should be sure to pay attention in driver's ed...we don't need anymore inconsiderate and unknowledgable drivers on the road. Finally Alice is doing mission work (I suspect) and that is always interesting!

July 4, 2008 at 9:40 am |
  6. yokoyamu

Hello!

I live in Japan and watch this program to practice English.
    As for plans of my summer vacation, I'll climb Mt. Fuji.
    It's the highest mountain in Japan.

I'm going to study abroad from September.
    So I want to be highest place in Japan before I leave Japan!

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Podcast!!

yokoyamu

July 5, 2008 at 5:09 am |
  7. Sara

To Taylor--I'll be sure and pay intense attention. Driving is serious businees. Hope you enjoy Pride and Prejudice. I want to read that too!!
    😀

Quick update on Zac Sunderland-- 400 miles from Waikiki!!! He hopes to reach Ala Wai Boat Harbor by Wednesday. Good luck to him.

About me-beginning to read my Driver's Ed book today. SERIOUS!!!
    Last week was awesome!! Tons of biking, practicing Tennis, dancing and the Fourth of July!! This week I will hopefully go swimming too. And next week VBS!! Ya!! I LOVE SUMMER!!! 😀 ♥ ❤

July 7, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  8. Morgan

Yaya my name is Morgan. I just wanted to say hi to yokoyamu and Evie. Her post was not posted yet. GOOD LUCK EVIE!

July 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Morgan

Thanks to Carl and all of the staff who provide us with such wonderful podcasts. It means a lot for us students to know what is going on in the real world.

July 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Evie

okay yeah wow. uhhh...i'm not doing anything really important this summer like learning a language or going to a different country so yeah... I read Dracula does that count? C'mon even just a little bit? and we have to read the dreaded Dandelion Wine. i think i might die of boredom... Stay Punny Carl!!!

July 13, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  11. Evie

i hope he has some duct tape...duct tape is pretty good at making things better.

July 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  12. thatcavalierfan

well, i am already buying my school suplies to save money and to beat the rush.... oh, also i am going over my mathematical figures and am reading alot. my fav book sofar is 'a great and terribble beauty' by libba bray. as for summer plans, i am going to horse camp in august and my aunt and i are going camping soon. yesterday i went to these caves for a family field trip. i am a busy woman right about now!

July 13, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  13. Sara

My Vacation Bible School (VBS) started today!!!! Happy! 😀
    The Thought of the Day-"Salvation is the work of God for man, not the work of man for God." 🙂 Reading Lots!
    Hi to Evie, Dracula soooo counts as something cool for the summer.

Update on Zack Sunderland– He docked on Friday at Ala Wai Boat Harbor near Waikiki, Honolulu and Oahu. He had a press review in the morning and then went to have some cilvilation fun! Like a shower, real food, and sleep. Ya! The Wind pulled him through.
    Later

July 14, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  14. Songf

I am from China and I am now living off my hometown to serve as a volunteer of the Beijing Olympic Games for accomodation,it may last as long as 1 month,though a little tired but tremendously interesting and refreshing!
    Good luck,Beijing!Welcome to China!

July 17, 2008 at 12:08 am |
  15. Alice

We are going to that remote villiage tommorow!!! 😀 I'm sooo excited!
    But a typhoon's here recently(in Taiwan) and many towns are flooded. I hope everything is okay...... 🙂

To Songf: That's really cool! Do you get to watch the Games free?

July 18, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  16. Sara

An update on Zac Sunderland!!! He is making his way to Majuro in the Marshall Islands and all is going well. His Mom thought it would be cool for anyone interested to send Zac a postcard when he reaches Majuro in 2 weeks. It takes about 5 days for the postcard to go through. I thought it was an awesome idea and I am reposting the address here. 🙂 Send Zac some love. Enjoy!! 😀

Yacht Intrepid
    Mr. Zac Sunderland
    Poste Restante
    Majuro, MH 96960
    USA

July 21, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  17. britt and talor

we thought that it was extremly funny when the bull chaced the bear away.I LOVE MY MOMMY AND WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(p.s. write back if you think that the bear story is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

August 20, 2008 at 7:04 pm |