.
June 2nd, 2008

Views from China

Some of you have written that the recent Chinese earthquake was the most memorable story of the year, and Tuesday's report by Wilf Dinnick brought some incredible views of how destructive the event was.  Images of "where mountains ploughed into the city," leaving survivors with heaps of rubble instead of homes, give a sense of the overwhelming loss that victims face.  It's hard to imagine how so many lives can be shattered in just a few seconds.

If you're looking for ways to help the victims, here's a good place to start.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Smriti & Kimi (from Mr. Walters' class in the Philippines)

We feel that this recent tragedy that China has unfortunately suffered is simply horrific, considering the fact that the nation is already struggling to cope with international pressure, most especially in regards to the government's involvement in Tibet and the upcoming Olympics. Some of the pictures taken of the earthquake, of children and married couples, are simply surreal, and it's hard to believe that they have had no choice in their fate. We hope that international aid and efforts will help ease the problems plaguing the area, especially Sichuan province.

June 3, 2008 at 10:14 am |

Hi,
    Obviously the attempts to divert the quake lake from destroying villages will take time and planning. It was great that CNN reported on the quake lake to cause awareness on the pending issue, however I would like to point out that the Chinese Government is already trying their very best to find survivors. In addition, I believe that the statement of being the first foreign station to capture this sort of footage may be important however it should not overshadow the main point, which is to instigate relief efforts.
    Thanks.

June 3, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  3. Sara

I was speechless while watching the recent broadcast showing a city in China from the mountain that the CNN crew climbed. Just to see it silent and uninhabited by life with nothing going in or out was flooring. No hussle, no bustle, -- just silence and pain. It is surreal to say the least. 😦

June 3, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  4. Tess

I think that instead of spending all of this money on the olympics they should use it to help the people from the earthquake. THe people from the earth quake need the money more than the olymipics do.

June 3, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  5. Arsilina

I belive that any chinese citizens who were damaged in the deadly earthquake were most likely not expecting it. And that's what might have caused the severe damage because they wern't prepared.

June 3, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  6. Jen

I think that the earthquake has certainly changed not only million of lives but also the interaction between China and the rest of the world. It is good to know that China is starting to open itself up to the world and this incident instigated China to begin opening its borders for foreign reporters. I'm very happy that CNN was a part of increasing awareness. This awareness will almost certainly benefit the rate of recovery in rurual China.
    On another note, it will be interesting to see how China pulls off the Olympics this summer. I believe that if they can really put the earthquake behind them and unite together, it will truly show the world that China is fully capable of changing on a socioeconomic and political scale.

June 4, 2008 at 7:11 am |
  7. Mario

Although the quake was tragic, and so many lives were lost, a really important result was, it brought the world closer to China. And China closer to the international community. The Chinese people are grateful for everyone's support, and maybe the world is a little smaller today. I hope the Olympics in Beijing are a success this year, and I'm sure China will host them just fine, they are a proud and strong nation.

June 9, 2008 at 3:50 am |
  8. Jason ( Also Seungwan )

Hi, I'm a student from Korea, Republic of. I saw those giant quake lakes on the student news, and I felt the enormous impact the earthquake caused the people of Sichuan Province.

June 19, 2008 at 3:21 am |
  9. Yu

I'm a chinese and I can say the damage to some cities is much more serious seen in video, some students in our college miss his all familiy and the social work in there is not enough, as in the entire nation. I worried whether our contury can deal with both the Olympic game and the disaster area rebuliding.

June 25, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  10. thatcavalierfan48

OMG, this is terribble! i can't even beging to imagine life like that. it sucks for them. just total devistation. i pray nothing like that ever happens in the U.S. i wish we could do something for them. i hope the Olympics won't be too affected by this!

July 13, 2008 at 5:11 pm |