.
May 13th, 2008

Free Game, Free Rice

In five minutes, I donated more than 2,000 grains of rice through the U.N. World Food Program and learned that pollinosis is hay fever.  The site is fun, the cause is great, and there's plenty to challenge you (unless you're a true fugleman when it comes to vocabulary).

To visit the "Free Rice" site we told you about in Wednesday's show, all you have to do is click here.  Good luck!

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Alice

The website is great! I just wonder how many grains of rice can made up a child's meal! Maybe I should count them next time I have lunch! 🙂

May 14, 2008 at 9:14 am |
  2. Kevin

I donated 9,000 grains my friend donated more

May 14, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  3. Kevin

I love the game i find it cool! CNN ROCKS!

May 14, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  4. Sara

I can't wait to try this game out!!! Givings is GREAT!!! 😀

May 14, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  5. Lesley [=

Greatest website ever, other than myspace of course [=

May 14, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  6. Aimee

My teacher has told us about this website before and I played it when I was bored. Now, I know all of the good that it really does and want to play it more often. I never knew how much I could learn from synonyms!

May 14, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  7. Lilly

This sounds like great website.. I cant wait to try it!!

May 14, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  8. Sandie

I learned about the site from the local newspaper. My mom had laid a newspaper article on my desk. It was about the Free Rice site. If it hadn't been for my friend's picture in the article, I wouldn't have bothered to read it. I had my doubts about the site. I was thinking, "How am I supposed to know that people actually get the rice? This is a waste of time." But once I read the article, I realized that this site was really trying to help starving people. Not only that, the rice WILL get delivered to people. I still haven't gotten a chance to go on, but I go on will very soon.

May 14, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  9. Gregory

I believe this organization is a influential opportunity to make a difference in the world as well as educate our upcoming generations. The idea is deeply intriguing to me; a unique convergence of generosity, vocabulary, and amusement. It expresses the importance of nourishment and impacts those who need aid through those who obtain language capabilities.

May 14, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  10. Sarah

I went to this website and donated like 1500 grains of rice. I know that's not much, but if everybody with a computer donated this much or more, we would be smarter and also, we would be helping people in need. A child in dies every 3 seconds because of hunger and starvation. Maybe we could spread this time limit out a bit by playing this game! It's a game, but it helps, so I want to encourage all who read this to go to FreeRice.com and play! You just might help save a couple of lives!

May 14, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  11. Paola

I only played for two minutes, and I gave 460 grains!
    That doesn't sound like much but when it all comes together, it can make a big difference for those who need it. Helping the world while learning is fun!

May 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  12. Jen

I found myself curious about the website when I heard about it on the Student News when we watched it in class. (I was a bit dismayed that the website URL was not provided on the show, but I was able to find it on my own.) I started playing, and I find myself becoming addicted to it! Not only is it promoting a good cause and providing rice to those in dire need of food, but it is also really fun! I have already donated 4,300 grains of rice in less than an hour, and I have no intention of stopping!

May 15, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  13. Danielle

I went to the web sit i donated 18,000 when i first saw it on student new i thought know way is that possible but i guess it is.

May 15, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  14. De'Rico

I went to the site and donated 3,000 grains. It was very educational but fun at the same time but it also helps people that need it.This is a very good and thoughtful game.

May 15, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  15. Chris

I played for 30mins and i donated over 5000 grains of rice and best of all it was fun thanks for showing for segment on your show on it that is how i found out about it.

Roanoke Rapids NC

May 15, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  16. ciara

it's so good that even in the time of tragedy people are willing to help others with all of their efforts

May 15, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  17. Austin

After yesterday's show me and two of my classmates played the game it was fun but we knew we we helping people at the same time we made it up until 3000 but then we had to leave class. Today I have played it but I didnt have much time.

May 15, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  18. Greg

I think its a waste of time. I donated $200,000 to it and no response what jerks. Its a good cause but where does it go what is its main thought =]

May 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  19. jingyu

i got 1800 grains.
    it means i can donate 1800 grains.
    when i visited the site, i become a good and smart man.
    thank you

May 15, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Tiffany

I've already donted 3000 grains of rice today! My Vocab Level now is 22, but my best level is 36. I think this website is very helpful and fun, too! Kids can play games and study together!

May 16, 2008 at 8:03 am |
  21. Cassady

at my school bgjhs, we have been writing our writing pieces an since evey one is almost finished we come in the lab an i am finished so i come in an get on freerice.com , the most that i have her gotten was 7,740. when i do this it makes me feel good to know i am doin something good for someone who has nothing. i also like knowing thta it is increasing my vocabulary. an this is why this game is so cool.

May 16, 2008 at 9:12 am |
  22. Trevor

We play free rice at our school and it is fun and educational ,but it also gives the good feeling of giving to people lease fortunate. Its so much sometimes i play it at home and i think everyone should play it at lease one time.

May 16, 2008 at 9:15 am |
  23. Katie

Free rice game is a great place to learn while helping people who need food. It tests you on your vocabulary on what ever level you need to learn at. I earned 4,000 grains of rice the first time I tried it! Free rice is a great learning, exciting and fun expeirience; and its FREE! go to
    http://www.freerice.com to play.

May 16, 2008 at 9:16 am |
  24. Austin

We found free rice first.

May 16, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  25. Mr. Owen's Classes

I am going to let students who have finished their work play the game. Fort Wayne, Indiana has the largest Burmese population of refugees in the United States and many of our students want to do something that will help all those in Asia and Africa who are suffering.

May 16, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  26. Christal

In my Contemporary World class, we constantly use CNN Student News. When FreeRice was brought up, I had realized that I have played it before. We sometimes take a whole class period to play the game. When I play the game, it makes me feel like I can use my knowledge for good and to help others.

May 16, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  27. Sheila

i think that this a great idea. Anything that allows you to be entertained while helping people is something that I will spend my time on.

May 16, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  28. Perci

I think that the free rice site is a great thing to have now because of the rice shortage. It's a way to let people help who may not know what they can do to contribute something who may not know of any other way. This sit is also good for educationaly purpose, because it helps students or whom ever learn new words and there meanings.

May 16, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  29. DAria

great place to help!!!

May 16, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  30. Rachel

It is so cool I learned a lot of new words

May 17, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  31. Tiffany

I donated 1000 grains of rice! That a total of 4000 grains! I hope others will be donating rice, too! (And it seems that many people are donating rice) Go to http://www.freerice.com ! It's educational and fun!

May 18, 2008 at 4:06 am |
  32. Rekiah:)

OMG i have been there and it is so awseome! my record for the most donations is 4,640. i learn alot of new words there, too! LOL!

May 18, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  33. Tiffany

I donated 2000 grains of rice today! If I add all the rice I donated, it'll be a total of 5000 grains of rice!!! Go to http://www.freerice.com NOW!

May 20, 2008 at 3:47 am |
  34. Tiffany

Sorry! It's 6000 grains of rice in total !!!

May 20, 2008 at 3:48 am |
  35. Lauren

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
    The man who invented it lives in my state!
    I love donating and I love to learn new words!
    PERFECT MATCH!

MY ENGLISH TEACHER LOVES IT TO!!!

May 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  36. Erin

I really love the idea that you can play games to earn rice for the starving. I mean, it's really easy to pplay and it's pretty fun. I play nearly every day now, and raise 2,000 grains every time I play. It only takes twenty minutes to help people in need.

May 21, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  37. Mark

I love the FreeRice website. It's very simple to use, and educational. My English teacher even set aside a few days of the trimester to allow us to play, and when we were done, we printed up our scores. Whichever class period donated the most rice for the trimester earned extra credit points on our final exam. I think more teachers should use this excellent program as part of their curriculum :).

May 21, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  38. Andy Man

I want to know why rice is being donated to other countries for free when it is limited over here and getting expensive. It's a very nice thing to do but there must be a way to give something else that isn't so expensive over here.

May 22, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  39. Stay-C

My chemistry teacher showed my class that. It was something we did when we had nothing else to do. Its pretty fun. We play it in our law studies class instead of doing research on our thomas jefferson mock trial project.

May 22, 2008 at 10:32 am |

I think this website is awesome! I have played with tons of friends for a long time........bless all you people who are donating the rice, and know that it going to a good cause!

May 22, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  41. Codie

In Mrs. Nelson's third block class, we were given the oppurtunity to try the website and answer them together. I believe it is a good way for people to learn something and have a sense of accomplishment for knowing they contributed something to someone in need. It's a great game and a good past time.

May 22, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  42. Mike

I agree with Gregory. Free Rice is an awesome to enhance your vocabulary skills while impacting your world in a positive way.

May 22, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  43. Bryanna

I think that game is a great game .Then kids know that their donating food and they're learning definitions of words.

May 22, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  44. Diana

I LOVE this game! I donated 10,140 grains of rice in one sitting and knowing that it's going to something good makes it all the better. Plus I get to learn new words, although my english class wouldn't like it if I continue getting trivia questions right!

May 23, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  45. Ricey

I donated 60,000 grains of rice in just ONE HOUR!

May 27, 2008 at 3:31 am |
  46. sara

oh my gosh...i played that game and it is soooo fun!!! i got hooked on it and i wasnt just wasting valuable time...i was helping people while helping myself. I LOVE IT!!!!

May 29, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  47. Claire

My sister and I love to play this game. We always try to see who can get more in a certain amount of time. I love to play this game when I have free time.

May 29, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  48. Miranda

i think this game is a great way to give back and its just so addicting .....i hope that so kid is enjoying his rice ...they desirve it

May 30, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  49. Paul

I like it and it is fun

September 20, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  50. x

i donated 500 grains

March 16, 2009 at 9:33 am |