April 29th, 2008

The Rev. Wright Controversy

On Tuesday afternoon, a headline in one of our news wires read, "Whether applauded or reviled, outspoken pastor still an issue for Obama."  The story went on to say that, to those who applaud Rev. Wright, he's a man with the courage to speak out; to those who revile him, he is racist and a "millstone around Sen. Obama's neck."

Despite Obama's statement that he was "outraged" by the Rev. Wright's recent comments, this story is a good example of how a political candidate's association with someone controversial can affect a campaign.  Wright isn't the one running for president, but his charged statements have had an impact on a man who is.

So it gives you a few things to think about, whether or not you're old enough to vote:  How could the Rev. Wright controversy affect Obama's campaign?  Should it?  And does it matter to you?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Kabrina

I think this will affect his campaign because most people think of you as who you are by the church you go to. I also think the comments that he made should have been kept to himself.

April 29, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  2. Lance

Sen. Obama coming out and separating himself with Rev. Wright is just a bit to late. Sen. Obama must explain to the people of the United State why he after twenty years attending the church is now conveniently divorcing Rev. Wright when it is hurting his campaign. It is strange that Rev. Wright is filling in the missing puzzle that define Sen. Obama. Sen. Obama's wife statement of never been proud of America until now seems to be one of the pieces of puzzle the Rev. Wright is feeling in. The question Sen. Obama must answer to the people is WHO IS BARACK OBAMA.

April 30, 2008 at 4:20 am |
  3. Teacher

It does not change my opinion about Obama at all. I do not hold people responsible for other people's actions unless they contributed to those actions. I am appauled that educated people would hold someone responsible for what another person did. I go to church to serve my God. I do not have to agree with everything my pastor says or does, its a matter of compromise. Should all catholics stop going to church because some priests misbehaved? Politics should be played with some level of decency.

April 30, 2008 at 7:08 am |
  4. Stephanie

I think it's ridiculous how Wright assumes that anyone who disagrees with him is "attacking the Black Church". There's no such thing as "The Black Church", there's no such thing as "The White Church", it's just "The Church". I don't understand why they seperate themselves, then go on to say how much they want unity. It's rather oxymoronic.

If you want to get rid of racism, stop making everything about race. It really is that simple.

April 30, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  5. Ivan

In every countries, when the campaign is in full swing, the racial issues always appear. That's not an issue we discuss in normal time. That's a shadow or a weakness in human. Someone use our voters' enthusiasm to build his own benefit.

I agree Stephanie's comment. We all live together, no necessary to think deeply about that absurb view.

April 30, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  6. Seth

It might have occured to some people that the reason Sen. Obama is distancing himself from Rev. Wright is because Wright is hindering his campaign. In some ways Wright is having an affect on Obama's campaign. Part of the Americans who watch or read the news will believe alomst anything without questioning the source or validity of the information that they are getting. People are easily swayed by fancy words and presentations. Rev. Wright will affect the campaign because many people don't delve deeper into the topic.

April 30, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  7. Nathan

I don't think Obama should really be judged upon Wright's comments. Wright just said a bunch of things that were taken out of context in order to demonize Obama in favor of Clinton. It's just another political distraction just so the candidates can dance around the issues that really matter and bat at each other instead.

April 30, 2008 at 10:58 am |
  8. Tom

This controversy does not change my opinion of Obama at all. And I don't think this should change the opinion of the public. But it probably will. Just becuase somone has a connection with someone else how believes something different, doesn't mean they believe the same thing. It's ridiculous to assume Obama has the same opinions of Wright.

April 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  9. stevie

I don't believe that having Rev. Wright will hurt Obama's campaign. It seems that there are so many rumours about both candidates that no one can believe what they hear anymore. I think that americans should just look at the candidate sponsered websites to get their information that way there is no confusion or problems.

April 30, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  10. Dellanie

If people are changing their votes, because of Wright then they are not being true to themselves you should go with you believe to be right its the new age and everyone is getting along i think that Wright is trying to start a fight between the people and we don't need that right now, we are all ready at war. what else do we need to make it possible for people to live together in peace?

April 30, 2008 at 11:02 am |
  11. Zack

i think it will affect the campaign. not everything is about race when it comes to deciding on things like presidential campaigns. it's about what the people think.

April 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  12. Sarah

Even though Obama is associated with Reverend Wright, I don't believe that this should affect how people vote. Despite what Hillary stated, that a person can't choose their family members, but they can choose their pastor.

I think that this is an incorrect statement. It is very hard to choose a church since a person has to consider the environment that the church brings to not only you, but your children, the people that attend the church, and how the Bible is presented to the audience. Thereby, Obama could have chosen the church for all these reasons, but can have the room to diagree with the pastor on some decisions since not everyone is going to agree on everything. That is improbable.

So Obama should not be judged by what his pastor is saying, since he has admitted that he disagrees with Reverend Wright, which is a very hard thing to do since the pastor is your moral support in hard times. Obama should be taken for what he has said and what he has supported throughout his life and campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  13. Raji

Rev. Wrights comments does not change my opinion about obama. I think it might affect the election ,but people have to remember what barrak obama says and does defines who is...not what his Priest says and does. I also agree with some of the people from the show, wright's still living in the past.

April 30, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  14. Sean

Reverand wrights comments should not affect the election. If one is foolish enough to take reverand wrights serman out of context, then that is their fault. The reverand has been preeching like this for more years than Obama has been in the government. Obama should not be judged based on one mans opinion anyway. As for Obama's going to church, there is no reason he should stop going. You dont burn the orchard over one bad grape.

April 30, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  15. andrea

if obama wouldn't agree with his church leader, then he wouldn't assit to his church. to me any religious leader that will swear on the podium in the middle of church is not a good religious leader. now i just wonder if obama still attends his church with the same leader?

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  16. Kristen

I believe that if you don't agree with the church, then you shouldn't go to it. I especially believe that if you were raised in a certain church, then when you are old enough to make your own decisions in religion, you should research, and look around and find a religion that really matches what you believe in. What I think is a little out of proportion is that the campaign is being effected by what someone said, just because they are part of the candidates past. Because Obama has said time and time again that he doesn't agree with the statements made by the Rev. I believe that it shouldn't effect the nomination or canadacy, because there are a small few who were put off by the comments made, but I hope that most can realize that the comments made by the Rev. are not whats important in this nomination.

April 30, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  17. Crystal

I think that this has little to do with Obama's campaign and I also think that Obama would be a great president. This is a small mark on Obama's huge plans. I think that Obama just should not let his past bother or control what his future could be.

April 30, 2008 at 11:56 am |
  18. Ms Shepperd

My history classes (soph and juniors) have idicated that the reverand's remarks have NOT changed their opinions of Barack Obama. Those who are his supporters, still support him and said that what is said in Church is not an idication of what a person thinks as an individual. Most of them also think the Rev. should not be speaking on behalf of the whole black community or Obama. He could end up hurting the person he says he is supporting.

April 30, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  19. Kyle

I stand on this issue the same as i always have. Like Stephanie said ther is no white and black church. they are both the same they preach the same things.

April 30, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  20. Corey

I believe that Clinton had no right to say that he has the right to choose his pastor, she doesn't know about anyhting, he could have grown up with the reverand and had gotten a good relationship with the church.

April 30, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  21. Anonymous

i dont agree with wright and what he says.

April 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  22. Cody

I think Wright is a odd guy. I agree with the woman who said there is only the church, no black church or white church. After his comments he said I thought were really weird. I don't think he should have said some of the things he said beacause it could hurt Obama. People going to that church if they don't agree with what there Rev. says, don't attend that church.

April 30, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  23. Kaylee

I do think that this will affect Obama's campaign. It will be in a positive way though because he has been trying to clear his name of what wright said and that shows that he doesn't believe in what he was saying. If this does effect his campaign then it could make it for the better because he's showing that even though they have friends for 20 or more years it still doesn't give wright the authority to say those type of comments, and think he'll get away with them.

April 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  24. Timmy

I dont think people should hold it against him because he doesnt make the decision for other people.

April 30, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  25. Ashleigh

I believe that Rev. Wright's recent comments should not effect Obama's campaign. Obama has made it clear that he doesn't believe in the same words that Rev. Wright is expressing. since Obama is distancing himself from Wright, he is trying to show that he doesn't share the same belief. It was Obama's choice to have Wright in his life, but if Obama believed the same thing, then he wouldn't be trying to run for President. This action won't effect my vote. I believe that Obama is still the best candidate for the United States of America. and i believe other people should not judge Obama based on his Rev.'s comments because not everyone believes the same thing as their Rev. Also Obama can't control the actions of everyone in his life. there are bound to be people who will speak out and say things he doesn't agree with and he should not be punished for thier actions. people should just listen to what Obama is saying.

April 30, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  26. Ashleigh

if you go to church then you are there because you believe in the same thing religiously, not politically. i believe that Obama should not be punished for his Rev.'s comments because he himself didn't say those things. if those words didn't come from his mouth then people shouldn't be trying to say he believe's it

April 30, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  27. andrew

i think its a little weird that the rev. says that the white people are racist for "attacking" the black church when that statement in itslef is racist, but no one says it is because they dont want to be offencive towards an african american. and as for obama i dont think itll change much because the avaerage american is too dumb to know about this. im not voting for him anyway, so i guess it doesnt really matter.

April 30, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  28. Bridget

obviously obama does not think that americans are terrorists! he wants to end this war. he should not be held with the belifes of one other man. i understand that if the Rev. was running, dont vote for him if you dont like to hear what he has to say, but did Barack say it? no he didnt, and i still support Obamba. If any thing i support him more now because he is going through these additional stressors to running for president. at least he goes to chruch, hold it against him if he was a satinist but he's not, respect that.

April 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  29. Ashleigh

Obama and Rev. Wright have been friends for a very long time. Obviouslt Rev. Wright knows that what he is saying is hurting Obama's campaign... and if he was really a good friend of Obama's then he would stop saying those things and would try to help his friend win the campaign

April 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  30. Rachel

This controversy seems like it's been blown way out of proportion. Yes, he has an out there pastor but just because he has a strong pastor doesn't mean that he his or has the same exact views as him. I went to Malibu a church camp and yet I don't belong to a church. It just proves that on the surface it may seem like he has all of those views but underneath it all it may be very different. The fact that the reverand is using this publicity to spread his opinions seems like he is taking advantage of a member of his church. Clinton is obviously capitalizing on the instance saying that he could have chosen a different pastor when he probably grew up with that pastor and didn't have a choice in the matter. I unfortunately respect John McCain for saying that he believes that Obama has different opinions and that he believes in different things. This whole issue is political capitalization and we need American citizens to see through this entire facade.

April 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  31. Melissa

I do not believe that Obama shares the same beliefs as Rev. Wright. I believe many people such as Obama have "friends" that have different beliefs then themselves. I believe this is sometimes the reason why people with different beliefs are friends. There is more to talk about and discuss when people have different views or beliefs. All of us have friends that do things or have different beliefs than ourselves but we overlook the differences because we like them for who they are not for what they do or what they believe.

April 30, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  32. CODY

I think that what the Rev. Wright says should not effect what Obama represents. I've always been told that the church and politics should be in sperate categories. They should not be mingled. The Rev. Wright just wants his opoinon to be voiced. He lived in a generation to where African Americans thrived to have thier voices heard, but now its a different generation. We dont need to work so hard to have our voices heard. Obama may go to the Rev. Wright's church, but his opoinin should not be forced onto his listners. You may go to that church but you are there to listen to his teachings of the bible, not what he voices about politics.

April 30, 2008 at 12:35 pm |
  33. Sheila

I think that this will affect Obama's campagin and this makes me sad. I dont think that people should judge Obama by Rev. Wright's words. It's not like people always agree with everything their friends do, but they stay friends with them.

But what I dont understand is why Rev. Wright is still making these comments even though he knows its hurting Obama's campagin. You'd think that, since they're friends, Rev. Wright would lighten up on the comments in order to help out his friend.

Im no a very religious person but, to me, church is where people are surrounded by people who agree with them on religion, not polotics. It bothers me that religion and polotics and are so intertwined.

April 30, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  34. Jake

I think that Wright is an idiot. Race should have never been brought into the presidential race, because that is not what it is about, and Wright only follows his ideas and his views which are totally racist, he needs to think of Americans all together not seperate them by race. Obama will definitly be affected in a negative way.

April 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  35. Edgard

I still think the same on Obama since he didnt say anithing bad and only his pastor did. Also Obama has no way to control what his pastor says so he cant do anithing on it. In addition, Obama already sayed that he doesnt believe what his pastor says.

April 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  36. Nichole

I dont think it should affect peoples campaigns, even though it does. Everybody has their own opinions on everything and everyone, people shouldnt care that he is 'outragged' it may or may not be their opinion and people shouldnt be so judgemental.

April 30, 2008 at 12:44 pm |
  37. Sam

I think that Obama has done a good job of dealing with this problem, but because he is under constant watch from the media he should make the wall between the Rev. and him more than just a verbal disagreement but a physical one too. What I mean by that is that with the busy lives that most Americans lead they only have time to hear bits and pieces of the whole story, and if they just happen to take offense to what the Rev. said than hear that Obama still goes to that church the voters might think that Obama has those same views and if he were to change churches it would get the point across that he has no connection to the Rev.

April 30, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  38. Evan

I think that Rev. Wright will affect Obama's campaign and I also think it should. I think it will affect his campaign, because this issue is to big to be forgotten. Saying that you hate America in a sermon at a church in front of people who take in what you say is not an easy thing to forget or look over. I think It should affect his campaign though, because Obama should have left the church right away if he really loved this country. I am not saying that Obama hates America, but I think being associated with people who do hate America and choosing not to walk away from them until it affects his campaign is really bad for people's views of Obama. I just think that anyone who follows along with someone who hates America without leaving that church or person, says that person (Obama) must not feel that much differently about America, than the pastor. In a way I guess I do think that Obama does not really like America that much if he has chosen to follow a pastor, like Rev. Wright. This matters a lot to me, because I don't want the president to hate the country he leads. This will make Obama make poor choices if he gets into office and it will pose as a threat to the USA. I think that Obama trying to seperate from the Rev. Wright now will not heal the damage already done and that I don't want someone who has this view of the USA to become president of the USA.

April 30, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  39. bluepie555

Wright is making it hard for Obama because if he goes with him then he might be considered racist. But on the other side, if he goes aganst him then people might think of him as a weak leader because he backs down when it means he might lose the campaign and not 20 years before.

April 30, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  40. Grizz13

I think that if Obama really disagreed with what Wright was saying, he would have definately left the Church a long time ago when Wright was first saying the things he was. And now that his campaign is being threatened, he is just now distancing him self from the reverand. I think he should leave the Church and find a new one if he wants to help his campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  41. 10pinkmonkeys

Rev. Wright's controversy could affect Obama's campaign in many ways. One way it could affect his campaigns, is because if Wright comments on something, that doesn't seem appropiate to people, some people might think that Obama agrees with these thoughts, and therefore, will not want to vote for him in the presidential elections. A second way that Wright could affect Obama's campaign, is that if Obama comes out and tells people that he doesn't agree with Wright (which he already has done), and if he decides to leave the church he is currently attending, then people who were going to vote for him, might change their minds because they might see him as a quiter, or a person that runs away from their problems, which would be bad for Obama's campaign. I think this should affect Obama's campaign, because it really will show how he handles hard situations, and also how he resolves conflicts, which will either prove or disprove if Obama is capable of being our next president. I don't really feel that this matters to me, because i don't have the capability of voting yet, so I don't have to think about the current issues that each candidate is going through.

April 30, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  42. kubavb7

It does not change my view of Obama. I think that he should continue going to his church, no matter what his pastor says. Doing that will show the people of America that he is able to stick to his beliefs and his church. It also shows that he can make a decision and not change his mind. He decided to go to that church. If he leaves now, he will show that he is just doing it to avoid a large conflict with his campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  43. Kyle

Wright's controversy could cause Obama followers, let alone all Americans, to think that Obama thinks the same thoughts that Wright does. Obviously Obama doesn't want anyone to think that he hates America. I do not think that this should affect Obama's campaign because Obama has said that he did not agree with the Reverend. That does not mean that Obama will lose some followers. This event does matter to me and is a big bump for Obama to get over.

April 30, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  44. Alllie

What Rev. Wright said about Obama shouldn't affect his status in the race, but you know it will. Some ways it will affect his campaign is because people who were affended by the comments made may turn on Obama, seeing he is associated with Obama. It might also win some votes for him, seeing that the remarks made by Wright were so opinionated, and anyone who agreed with the remarks might associate them with Obama, voting for him. I also think that inorder for American's to stop associating Obama with Wright, Obama needs to stop attending church where Wright preaches. Although, these aren't the measures any average person would take, since Obama is running for president, to completely remove himself from the situation he needs to leave the church.

April 30, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  45. Gil

This entire controversy greatly saddens me, and it saddens me because it shows how many people are still letting their fear govern their emotions. I think a lot of people are afraid of what Reverend Wright said because it's more true than most people would like to admit. African American churches and white churches are different, but it has less to do with racism than simple culture. The problem is if you don't understand the culture. While I think the vast majority of people do, there are some who obviously don't, and continue to attack the Reverand, not realizing that each tme they criticize him for what he says they're doing nothing but giving his words more credit.

April 30, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  46. Gil

As for Hillary Clinton, she should know the reverand quite well-after all, she requested him to help "heal her spirit" after the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke. As usual, Barack Obama is being unfairly labeled with something he cannot control. Why? Because the Republicans, who might have to run against him in the fall, are scared to death of him. Most conservative Republicans know that if they end up running against Hillary, there are so many scandals that broke while she was involved in the government, and so many of them involving her in some way, they'd have no trouble defeating her. But Republicans are afraid they don't have enough dirt to defeat Obama, and would lose to him in a general election. We can only hope.

April 30, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  47. Rachel

I think that if Obama does not leave the church then people will think that he believes those things that Rev. Wright is saying. And if he does not leave then it will greatly affect his campaign. So I think that obama just needs to go out and say "I do not believe a single word of what Rev. Wright has said. I will not completly leave the church because that church is a part of me but Rev. Wright is not making me want to stay. He should be FIRED!" And the Obama goes on and gets Rev. Wright fired. Thats what he should do.

April 30, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  48. Carsten

I think that this greatly effects senetor Obama's Campaign because him being affliated with Rev. Wright gives people a reason to jump to the conclusion that Obama is a racist because he is in the Rev. congregation. While I think that if he says that he doesn't agree then he doesn't. People say that only when the problem came along that he backed away from the Rev. I think that some of the media will twist this story to give Obama a bad name. But this will only sway a couple people.

April 30, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  49. tedfish

Unfortunatly in todays world people don't always get the big picture, as a result people may think that Obama is exactly like wright but as he has made clear he is very against it. And unfortuantly this in and of itself could be the breaker between winning and losing. It really is to bad that this is true.

April 30, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  50. Phoenix

I think that Obama is being slightly hypocritical in his actions. He s verbally distancing himself from Wright, yet goes to that church every Sunday. He is saying that he completely disagrees with this Rev., yet he still listens to his sermons. Obama needs to line up his words and his actions instead of sending out a mixed message. This could affect his campaign if people see that he says one thing but is doing another. In reality, he needs to decide which side he's on.

April 30, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  51. Lex

I think that Wright didn't hurt or help Obama's campaign. I think that because Obama has made it clear that he doesn't think what his pastor said is right, people will still vote for him. He couldn't control what Wright said.

April 30, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  52. Summer

I think what Reverend Wright said will affect Obama's campaign. Obama attends the church where Reverend Wright gives his sermons, so Obama's supporters (and other people) will think that Obama believes in what Reverend Wright said because Obama attends that church. Because of what Reverend Wright said, some supporters are outraged and feel that Obama shouldn't be president. If Reverend Wright is known as racist ( by those people who don't agree with him), some people might think Obama is too.
    This event doesn't really matter to me, but I do wonder if Obama does really believe in what his pastor says and is just denying it so that his supporters won't feel like he's "racist", or if he really disagrees to what Reverend Wright says. I also wonder if Reverend Wright usually says things like that. If he does, my question would be "Why would Obama attend a church that has a pastor that says things like that?". If he doesn't my question would be "Why would he bring this racist thing up now?".

April 30, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  53. realartist156

I think that Obama should state that he doesn't believe what the pastor says yet stay at his old church. Just because you don't agree with your pastor doesn't mean that you will change your church. Obama should embrace what is being thrown at him and prove to people in what he believes in.

April 30, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  54. Spongebobeob

I think that this could affect Obama's chances for presidency because it could cause people to believe the things that Reverend Wright said about Obama, possibly leading them to vote for someone else. I don't really think that it should affect candidate's campaigns for a few reasons. First of all, what Reverend Wright said was comprised of his own thoughts and beliefs. This doesn't make it fair to alter Obama's chances for presidency because of what one person thinks. Secondly, Obama doesn't agree with what Reverend Wright has said. Therefore, people shouldn't vote for another candidate especially since he has not accepted what Reverend Wright has said. (If he had accepted it, that may have caused people to vote for another candidate.) Finally, I think that this affects me because the next president that will be elected will be my president.

April 30, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  55. Matt

I think that it would be better if obama decided to just leave the church all together it would make people feel better about him being seperated from his pastor.

April 30, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  56. karatydolphi

Wright is probably going to hurt Obama's campaign a lot. Because of Wright's raciest and anti-America comments, some of Obama's supporters will change their votes. I think this shouldn't have an affect on Obama. This effects everyone. I care a lot about this issue because I want this round's winner to be a good one.

April 30, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  57. Kristy

I think that if obama really wants to show that he doesnt agree with Rev. Wright than he should physically remove himself and his family away from the situation. He says that he "doesn't agree with what Rev. Wright says," but he's also said other things that aren't the most truthful. If Obama really wants to be considerate for his caucasian voters, he should not associate with Rev. Wright. I understand that they are good friends and have been for many years, and you shouldn't leave a church just because of one thing that you disagree with, but I think it's best for his campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  58. huskrgrl

I think that Obama should keep distancing himself from Pastor Wright. If Obama and Wright have already distanced themselves from each other, then Obama should save himself from these comments and become unassociated with Wright. Obama can choose to at least partially remove himself from this situation so he can be more successful at his Presidential campaign.
    This may bring around the thought in voters that in cases of troubling times, Obama would desert our country if he were president. But if Barack would leave his current church and then move to another one, then people can think of that as his trying to find a unique and different way to solve conflicts.

April 30, 2008 at 9:33 pm |
  59. Oscar

How could the Rev. Wright controversy affect Obama’s campaign?

I think that the Rev. Wright controversy can definitely affect Obama's campaign. Since Obama has stated that he is "outraged" by Rev. Wright's recent comments, people would naturally search for Obama's actions towards this situation. What ever Obama decides to do, it would probably affect his campaign. It could be positive or negative because there is always going to be people that support his decision and those that don't.

Should it?

I think that it should affect Obama's campaign because how he deals with this situation proves something about his personality and atitude. If Obama does something that opposes ones thoughts, then there is one more reason that he might not be the president that is right for them. The same applies to those that agree with Obama's decision, adding another reason that Obama is the right president for them.

And does it matter to you?

Yes, this definitely matters to me. Since the way Obama deals with this problem having to do with Rev. Wright will affect his campaign, this might cause him to either not be the president of the United States or to be the president of the United States. The next president and his or her decisions definitely matter to me.

April 30, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  60. thingydingy

I think that for some people who are really picky about politics might be effected by it, if they really want to dig into it. However, I think the average person will not really care. Much more important is the way Obama responds. If he changes churches just because he fears it will effect his campaign then people might think he is a sell out. But if he really truly strongly disagrees with rev. Wright then he should change churches because it would be hypocritical to stay. For me it depends on what he makes his choices on. I don't really care what the rev says. Its Obama who is running for president and its his actions that matter.

April 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  61. mike

Honestly, I think Obama needs to get away from this guy as soon as possible. People will look for anything to hurt a candidate, and this is just another thing to damage Obama's campaign. If he's serious about running for president, he can't have any skeletons in his closet.

April 30, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  62. Walters

I believe this contrivesy shows if Obama can actually stand up under the heat of preassure. Also it shows that Obama has a bad judgement in my opinion when it come to whom he surrounds himself with. Though people say that saying that Wrights views are not his it is not enough. He has to leave Wright completely and maybe sit down and tell him he does not want anymore attcks and if he keeps attacking him then he will fight back and put him under the bus.
    The second question was does this affect me. I would say yes because if Obama is elected president this will show if he can stand up against the war on terror or if he is going to go and hide underneath a rock. So all in all this is the point of make or break for Obama since if this go down hill he will not get the nomination but if he comes out on top he will sweep the Clinton's of their feet.
    So I good luck Obama but you are not looking so hot and you need to resolve this issue quickly and swiftly.

April 30, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  63. Hannah

Rev. Wright, unfortunately, is affecting Obama's campaign. Many people do not agree with Rev. Wright's comments and sermons, and many think that he is extremely racist. The reason that this is affecting Obama and his run for the presidency is simple: association. The reason Obama has recently tried to distance himself from Rev. Wright is because, even though they are different people with different views, the kind of church someone goes to, and therefore the pastor of the church, usually shows a lot about that person. If Obama wasn't running for president, Rev. Wright and the Trinity United Church of Christ wouldn't be household names in America now, but since he is, his church, most people think, has a lot to do with how he will most likely govern our country, and this why it is bringing down his campaign. The solution for this problem, I think, is that Obama and his family should leave the church. Why sit during the sermon if he disagrees with everything he hears? If Obama did this, he would be free of the harsh, racist comments and sermons of Rev. Wright, and his campaign would improve.

April 30, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  64. Eric

I think rev. wright had some points that were somewhat true, but he compleatly blasted those way out of proportion. I think as far as he went with some of his statments, was wrong. its what he believes. its freedom of speech. Even still, for as bad as the statments were, i dont think it should effect the election as much as it does. It was rev. wright that said the statments. That doesnt mean Barrack Obama belives in what he says. i have a friend who plays baseball. doesnt mean i like baseball. the pope was a nazi youth. that doesnt mean all christians are nazis. this contriversy shouldnt be as big a deal as it is

April 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  65. Jeremy

I think that most people don't look at CNN, or any other new intensely enough to understand what exactly is going on between them. All they hear is, "Barack Obama's pastor", "Bad remark against whites", "Used to be close friends." With this all people hearing on the news, it could completely destroy his campaign. If the news explained it more like CNN then no one would care that much because Obama doesn't want any association with him anymore. I am a big Obama supporter so this would be very irritating for me because if the one person that can destroy him is his pastor which is suppose to be a good person that prays everyday, then what kind of world are we living in?

May 1, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  66. Breanna

Although I don't think it should, I do believe that it will change his campaign, many people think that if you chose to go to a church it means that you believe and agree with everything that the pastor ever says. Before you change the way you vote based on something his pastor said think about yourself and your own life. I'm sure everyone who goes to church has heard someone say something they didn't agree with at least once. And before you say well he should have changed churches, think of what you would have done. Whould YOU have gotten up and changed churches just because one person said something you didn't agree with??

May 1, 2008 at 1:27 am |
  67. nicole

I don't see the point in Wright still causing an issue with Obama. This should be over and done with and it keeps getting drug out. Obama is not to blame for any of this because I think he handled the situation very well and in a mature manner. He doens't deserve this one issue to keep coming back to haunt his campaign.

May 1, 2008 at 8:23 am |
  68. chelsea

i think it's completely rediculous that Rev. Wright is still causing an impact on Obama's campaign. To me, this is old news and i think that Obama has done a great job separating himself from the negative and offensive views that Wright posesses. This is exactly the type of thing that distracts viewers away from the issues and focuses the election on outside events. People need to stop clinging to every fiber of gossip that swirls in these elections and steer their attention towards what matters: who will be the best representative of the Democratic Party with the best chance of winning the Presidential election.

May 1, 2008 at 8:25 am |
  69. aleece

I think that this whole situation should not play a role in the election even though it probably will. The reverand is hurting Obama's chances because it is forcing him to focus on that particular issue to gain the peoples trust agian. He should be focusing on politics and beating Clinton out of the primary. People should stop listening to what the reverand has to say and form thier own opinions. Just because Obama's pastor has said a lot of controversial things it doesn't necessarly mean that Obama agrees with them.

May 1, 2008 at 8:25 am |
  70. sam

The actions of Rev. Wright should not have an impact on Senator Obama's campaign, but it inevitably will. Unfortunately, many people in our country will judge Obama by the people he is associated with, not by his stances on those people's actions. The fact that Wright has been his pastor for many years will mislead people into thinking that Obama must have heard similar comments from him before, and either supported them or been a coward in not speaking out against them. However, if we look at our own lives, there are many people we all are close to who have very different views and ideas as us, many of which we do not support. You may not like what a friend thinks or says, but you are not friends with that people simply because of their views. Therefore, like Obama, you should not be targeted if they were to say something controversial.

May 1, 2008 at 8:28 am |
  71. Bridget

I think Rev. Wright's comments could, and have, negatively effected Obama's campaign because of the way people automatically associate the two together. Even though Obama was married by this man, and his kids were baptised by this man, I believe Obama when he said he never heard him speak like this. I know plenty of people who have said outrageous things that I would never expect coming from them, so I think it is wrong for the world to hold Obama responsable. I think this statement should not affect Obama's campaign because, like Carl Azuz said, Obama is running for the President, not Rev. Wright. In my opinion, I still back Obama and trust his words, and understand that Rev. Wright is a different person than Obama and has the right to have his own opinions.

May 1, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  72. colleen

Personally I feel that Rev. Wright is just worring about himself and trying to get his opinions to go public. He basically used Obama so that people would listen to his thoughts. I wish that random people like Rev. Wright didn't affect candidates campaigns, however they do and his comments are slowing Obama's momentum.

May 1, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  73. sam

Personally, I don't understand why the pastor would do this in the first place if Obama has known him for so long but everyone has enemies and there are always two sides to the story. I do not think that Rev. Wright will affect Obamas campaign. There have been so many different rumors about each candidate that no one can believe anything anymore. The only way to find out the right information is look up each candidate and look at there opinions on each issue.

May 1, 2008 at 8:30 am |
  74. aaron

I think that this whole issue with Rev. Wright will not affect obama's campaign but in reality with will hurt his campaign to some degree. I feel that just because obama is associated with Rev. Wright that he was at fault to.

May 1, 2008 at 8:31 am |
  75. Allison

The Rev. Wright controversy has affected, and will continue to affect, Obama's campaign negatively because the people you associate with can say a great deal about you. I think it should because people generally have the same beliefs as the leader of their church, and if Obama is racist, I do not want him to be the President of the United States. Although Obama said he was outraged by Rev. Wright's comments, he has continued to attend his church, so I don't completely believe him. I don't think people should assume that Obama has the same views as every person he has ever talked to, but Rev. Wright is his moral guide, so I think it is fair to expect that Obama has the same fundamental beliefs as he does.

May 1, 2008 at 8:34 am |
  76. AILEEN

I definately think that this case is effecting Obama and his campaign but should it?, I don't think so. I think that, of course, any kind of publicity like this for any candidate is going to effect their race but I in turn don't think it is morally right for this to happen. However, the reality of it is that things like this is going to happen and it can effect voters and their views on candidates. Specifically on Obama's case, this could be very detremental to his campaign and allow him to fall even more than he already currently is which is somewhat more vital in this situation. Personally this controversy does not really effect me because I was never a strong Obama supporter in the first case.

May 1, 2008 at 8:37 am |
  77. danielle

I think that the Reverend Wright controversy has affected Obama’s campaign and will continue to affect his presidential campaign. I believe that the controversy between Obama and his pastor is blown out of proportion and because of this people’s minds have changed and it is hindering Obama’s campaign. This situation has not changed my mind about Obama and I think that religion and politics should be not intertwined.

May 1, 2008 at 8:37 am |
  78. Sean

Yeah i think that this controversy will affect his run at office becuase there are going to be people that will view this in a negative way. This is not the time for Barack to have any kind of negativity, he is struggling right now as it is and this certainly isnt going to help anything.

May 1, 2008 at 8:38 am |
  79. Andy

I don't think that Rev. Wright shouldn't affect everybody's opinion, but it deffinately is and American citizens will continue to think badly about Obama until he does something about it. Obama has two decisions that he can make. One is that he can leave Rev. Wright and find a new chuch to go to and the other is that he can stick with Rev. Wright. If he chooses to leave, then some voters will think that he can't stick with something and then they wouldn't want a president like that, but if he stays then some voters will think that he agrees with Rev. Wright and then they deffinately wouldn't want him as president. I think that it is a tough decision, but if I were Sen. Obama, then I would continue to tell America that I don't agree with Rev. Wright, but I would stay there. Hopefully that would tell voters that I am not like Rev. Wright, but that I can stick with what I started with. Obama is in a really deep whole and I don't know if he can climb out of it or not. Even if he wins the Democratic election, I don't know if he will be able to beat McCain in the actual presidential election.

May 1, 2008 at 8:43 am |
  80. Trey

If you don't believe what your church believes then you shouldn't go there. Its that simple. But I think that Obama has a hard decision, He could leave the whole church and separate himself from it, or he could stay and just disagree with what his paster thinks. If he leaves he is not only hurting Wright but also everyone else that belongs to the church. But if Obama stays he is still in trouble because people will say that he still believes what the church says (paster Wright). Whichever one he chooses he is still in a Loose Loose situation. He has to make his decision fast and effectively carry out with it, or else this will knock out the fondant ion of his campaign.

May 1, 2008 at 8:59 am |
  81. Alisa

Sen. Obama should distance himself from the church, but not leave entirely. If he leaves the church and try to find a new one, there could be even more controversy. There could be a different Reverend that people don’t like or they could think that Obama isn’t strong enough to fight this battle. If he just distances himself for a while until this problem dies down then he could continue to go the same church he has for years but there may be a different Pastor.

May 1, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  82. Lora

I think that the controversy involving Rev. Wright will definitely affect Obama's political campaign in a negative way. Many people make opinions on others not individually, but often by the people that they associate with. Since Rev. Wright has been such a big part of Obama's life, people's perception might be that Rev. Wright's opinions have influenced Obama's. If Obama says that he does not agree with the opinions stated by Rev. Wright than I don't think he should be penalized for another person's beliefs. Obama saying he is outraged by Wright's comments shows that he is making efforts to separate himself from the negative viewpoints of Rev. Wright.

May 1, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  83. cecilia

I agree with Hannah–Obama is basically at fault just for association. Unfortunately, I do think that Obama's campaign will be brought down by this event. This wasn't something Obama could easily handle- it just fell into place and people formed opinions right away. It's good that he finally said something about Wright and how what he said was "outrageous," and because he stepped up and said something, I think that many Americans who were swayed by this controversy will start seeing this situation from Obama's point of view, regaining some lost points.

May 1, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  84. Meghan

Unfortunately I believe that Rev. Wright's comments do have an affect on Obama's campaign. Although Obama attended chuch to pursue his own religious beliefs, he is now directly related to Rev. Wright and his comments. I really believe that the comments will change some peoples opinions and possibly sway votes. Personally, the comments dont change my opinions on Obama and his feelings on the issues.

May 1, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  85. Derek

I think this will hurt Obama's campaign. You should be judged based on who you elect to accompnay you on your way to presidentship. Obama made a poor choice, and he whould be called out on it. He shouldn't have trusted this reverend if he didn't full know his character. I know that you can't control other people's actions, but you are running for president, you need to be more careful.

I am, however, happy that he doesn't agree with his opinions. Someone who thinks the government created AIDS to destroy blacks is not in a position to help someone become president.

May 1, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  86. Winnie

I think Obamas campaign will suffer from this. I think it will suffer from this controversy because even though Obama never said any of this him self Rev. Wright is still his pastor and he is at that church. But then also he might still disagree with his pastor but that doest change the situation Rev. Wright is still his pastor. So i think Obama should step down and make good choices. or something like that....

May 1, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  87. Alex

I think Rev. Wright's comments actually helped Obamas campaign because I heard on the news that after Obama clearly stated that he doesn't agree with Rev. Wright's comments, his approval rating increased. I think that is true because people see how he can deal with these situations, so they like him more. But I really don't think Rev. Wright's words should have made a difference in Obama's campaign because Rev. Wright isn't Sen. Obama. If Obama didn't say it, why should anything change. Obama was Rev. Wright's friend but it doesn't mean that they think alike. Obama did the right thing in just disagreeing with his comments.

May 1, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  88. Alex

I think it will impair Obamas campaign.Because when people vote, there is always some emotional factors affecting their decision. Maybe they like Obama , but they afraid Rev. Wright's comments reflect Obama's real opinions. After all, friends means they share similar ideas. In short, people who like Rev. Wright won't vote for Obama, because he has dumped Rev. Wright .People who dislike Rev. Wright won't vote for Obama, because they're worried.

May 2, 2008 at 4:05 am |
  89. Gothops24

I believe that Obama's champaigne could be affected by Wright's beliefs. I don't think it should affect his campaigne but I think that it will still affect what people think. I am a suppoter of Obama and after finding out about this I still don't think differently about him. I don't see how it can affect it because Obama has kept his distance from rev. Wright. I know that Obama doesn't believe what he is saying.

May 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  90. MFM - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mr. Azuz, The initial onslaught of Mr. Wright’s “sermons” was a completely subjective and partison attack meant to purposefully derail the forward momentum of the DNC nomination of Senator Obama by raising the fear among the overwhelming majority of caucasian American voters of a fictious hidden African-American agenda. No mention of objective coverage was or has been equally made of Mr. Haggee or Mr. Parsley. Nontheless, sadly, the "swift boat" styled Wright attack worked brilliantly. The polls are clear evidence to that fact, and the postings on CNN and all over the internet are proof of the surgical precision of the analysis of the Carvile/Clinton “scorched earth policy” election strategy that has been adopted and implemented by Senator and President Clinton for this campaign. More is the pity.

It is too late now for the superdelegates to move, if they would have execised any moral or intellectual courage when it counted, not for Senator Obama, but for the DNC and indeed for America, they could have put an end to this abomination a long-time ago. But, now, due to the most recent and unprecedented actions of not only Mr. Wright but also Mr. Al Sharpton, frankly Senator Obama is not only another Michael Dukakis. but he is going to be defeated even worse. It would be best if Dr. Dean, the DNC leadership advise Senator Obama that America needs able and intelligent altruistic public servants in the Senate and that he has a bright future there – but not as President – not any more.

Let, Senator Clinton have the DNC nomination, she and President Clinton have without a doubt conducted one of the most undeniably amazing political campaigns in living memory – snatching victory literally from the very jaws of defeat.

Then leave it to the good and honest vast majority of American people to decide between Senator McCain, Senator Clinton, Mr. Ralph Nader, Mr. Ron Paul, and any of the littany of other marginalized independent and fringe candidates. And, get someone in Washington that will actually address and deal with the realities of Katrina, Iraq, Al-Quead, proper pay and long-term medical cre for US service personnel, education, medi-care, homelessness, environmental protection, dependence on foreign oil, alternative energy, the mortgage crisis, and the millions of other real problems that everyone from Nixon to GW Bush promised to get to work on "on the very first day" but ended up leaveing office for the next President to deal with on their "very first day".

May 3, 2008 at 6:05 am |
  91. Mario

The strength of your convictions. You can choose your church, and you can also choose your spouse. So Obama, stayed at Trinity United since 1992, sounds like a very religious man, deep in faith and Christian fundamentals. Hillary chose to stay with Bill despite his constant philanderings over the years. Love the church, not the man. And Wright does not speak for Obama. Obama speaks very well for himself, thank you. So why don't we listen to Barack and how he will lead this country towards a new era. I would suggest viewing his most recent Indiana ad and you will see how he will lead this country.

May 3, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  92. Daniela

I think that Rev Wright's comments have and can continue hurt Obama's campaign. Because he is guilty by association, Obama has already stated that he does not agree with Rev. Wright's believes even though they are friends. But is the fear that Obama does believe the same things as the rev. affecting our view of him as the possible leader of our country? And has he really distanced himself from the Rev. because of the bad attention he has been getting from his friendship with Wright, or because he does not share the same believes and does not tollerate the comments he made? I think the best thing for Obama's campaign would be to distance himself from the Rev. and gain back the trust of the people, because if he does not, (I agree with Alex) people who dislike Rev. Wright won’t vote for Obama, because they’re worried about what he really stands for.

May 4, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  93. Rhiannon

I think that if Barack Obama is dedicated to winning this campaign, he needs to pull out of that church. Sure, he is saying that he doesn't agree with Reverand Wright, but he still sits there and listens to him every week. Also, Obama has known and been friends with the Reverand for 20 years, and now he decides to distance himself. He is only saying that he doesn't agree because he is trying to win the presidential campaign. So how do we really know that Obama doesn't agree with Rev. Wright? We don't. Politicians are famous for lying and coming up with scenarios so they can win. As far as I can tell, that's what Barack Obama is doing. So the only way to prove that he disagrees is to leave the church.

May 4, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  94. Lauren

well this shows to prove how ignorant people can be and i don't think this should reflect on obamas campain but it will just so people can have thweir 15 minutes of fame

May 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  95. Gil

Let's face the facts: whenever people hear soeone talking about change, they usually get afraid, especially those people who are comfortable where they are. So I personally think the "controversy" (more like planned sabotage of Barack's campaign) over the Rev. Wright has very little to do with what he said-after all, what he said was taken out of context, not to mention that most Americans know absolutely nothing about this man besdies what the media reports. The truth is the Reverend is most likely a terribly misunderstood man who has now had his his relatively good name dragged through the mud. As for Obama, it's a sin that he's actually getting attacked about this and Hillary isn't-it was Hillary who called Reverand Wright into her own home for "spiritual healing" after she learned Bill was fooling around on her. So why isn't she guilty by association as well? Oh, that's right, because in 1996, during her husband's administration, the telecom reform act was passed which allowed any private individual to own as many media outlets as possible in order to allow the media to"compete." So it would make sense that to continue to make good profits, media companies wouldn't want that act to be repealed. And Bill Clinton fully endorsed that act. And so did his wife. So maybe the media would have reason to make Hillary look so much better than her opponent. After all, what if Barack doesn't like the idea of media being monpolized and wants to change that?

May 5, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  96. Jordan

I think that he is crazy.

May 5, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  97. Olivia

I think it will efect his campain!!! I mean he is the one that goes to the church!!! He has known the guy for 20 years and NOW he doesnt agree!!! I wonder why!!! He is probly just saying that so it doesn't hurt him!! Well, I have news for him!!! It kinda is!!!

May 5, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  98. ginger

I think that barack obama did well saying that he could no more disown rev. wright than he could disown his own brother.
    I belive that if people dove into the speech and skipped the
    "god d**n america part",
    they would find it a quite good speech undreneath.

May 5, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  99. Derek

good point ginger.

May 7, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  100. Katherine

I think that hilary would have just as much a problem with this as barack and she shouldn't be exploiting it.

May 7, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  101. NoneOfYourBuisness

I think people are overreacting. Just because Obama was close to his pastor doesn't mean that they share all the same views. I know my dad might dissagree with the pastor at my chruch on certain topics, but my dad likes him because overall, he's a good preacher. Obama might feel the same. People are over analyzing things, and are ebing to serious about it. This doesn't change my views on Obama. I still think he's the right person for the job.

May 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  102. justme

want to see mcain as president.............just let obama win the democratic nomination. end of debate.

May 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  103. Joseph

Reverend Wright needs to Shut Up. He is hurting Obama's chances at the presidency. The reason things haven't changed is because people like Reverend Wright keep bringing up this non-sense. I respect what he does in the Church, but all he's doing is giving himself attention.

Gaston, NC

May 13, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  104. De'Rico

This is just blown way out of proportion.This shouldn't have anything to do with Obamas views and shouldn't affect his campaign.

May 13, 2008 at 12:22 pm |
  105. Emmy

Yeah, the reverend was wrong, but what if one day you walked into church and what your pastor said was weird? What would you do? What could you do? You can't control what they say. And my goodness, he said sorry OVER AND OVER again. And you know what's terrible? John McCain, a republican, said it wasn't his fault. But Hillary Clinton, a democrat, said that he can choose his church. She's pretty much a hater.

May 13, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  106. justme

god help us

May 16, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  107. Ashley

I don't think a candidate's religious beliefs should be affecting people's opinions. Obama seems like an excellent leader, and he may be giving this country an oppritunity to have a great turning point. His connection with Rev. Wright shouldn't be that much of a controversy to me. I don't know. I just don't that his beliefs when it comes to religion has anything to do with what kind of person he is and what he can do to help America.

May 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  108. Ginny

I don't think that Rev. Wright's comments should affect people's views of Obama. That is rediculous! Just because someone you know said something racist doesn't meant that you are!

June 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |