April 22nd, 2008

Celebrity Causes

Personally, I never think it's a bad thing when a celebrity goes public to help someone.  "Publicity stunt" is a phrase some critics use when that happens, but as long as someone in need actually benefits, who cares?  As you hear in Wednesday's report, "Clooney has Darfur, Angelina has refugees, Bono has Africa" and Shakira has Colombia.  Fine with me:  They're using their talents for good causes.

What I'd like to know is if it matters to anyone.  Think about the famous people you look up to - are you more likely to support a cause if they do?  Would you want to find out more about it, or do you not care as long as they keep making hits?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Alex

For everyone, It takes a lot of money or time to address a charity cause. For a celebrity, they don't have to use this way to get benefit . They offer their efforts to help people, definitely because they are willing to do this. We should not suspect their motivations.

April 23, 2008 at 5:16 am |
  2. Dana

REgardless of their celebritism, people should do what they can to help causes they believe in. This is an impotant piece of humanitarianism.

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  3. Yuriko

We should be thankful these celebrities are helping, since they're rich. And I think it's very kind of them. But if celebrities help, it attracts lots of attention. And what caused them to be so nice all of a sudden? But help is help, in any way we get it. Be thankful for what you have, and in this case, what you get for support!

April 23, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  4. maggie

i think that celebrities are to full of them selves to care about anything an they just think the world revolves around them

April 23, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  5. Alexa

I'm sure most people would help out if their favorite star but it wouldn't matter to me because I would like to help in any way. But on the other hand, it would be awesome to meet my favorite star.

April 23, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  6. Carlos

yes I think that the next president will be Burok or Clinton because not a lot of people are voting for McCain. I hope a Democrate wins! Oh and our class mostly always watches this CNN student new my favorite of all these shows was todays today's show!

April 23, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  7. :)

Whatever their motivations are, the people are helped, so I'm glad of it!

April 24, 2008 at 9:02 am |
  8. RJ

Hey Carl,

What's up on the flip side. I think its good thing for famous people to help fix the world's problems. They have money and are famous, and all their fans will support them on what they do. So i think it is a great thing, because the government can't do it.

See you later brother,

RJ

April 24, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  9. maddy

hello.my brother went to the prom. he spent soo much money too. he bought his girl a corsage. and he payed for a limo.he had to buy a tuxedo.it cost alot.if you read this im maddy and im cool. thank you bye.

April 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  10. Erick

you are right about all that your cool

April 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  11. colleen

Wherever celebrities are and whatever they do, there is always publicity. So if they are joining a cause, more people take notice and may even become eager to learn more about it. So I don't think its about joining a cause just because a celebrity speaks for it, I think the celebrity attention is just another way of awareness to other people.

May 1, 2008 at 8:36 am |
  12. sam

Whatever their motives, celebrities who choose to help certain causes can really make a difference. If a celebrity I like is really involved with a certain cause, I will most likely find out more about it and consider joining or taking similar action myself. These big stars have all the money and publicity to really help change the world and it is awesome when they decide to do so.

May 1, 2008 at 8:38 am |
  13. Bridget

Personally, I don't think the celebrities I like have an affect on my decision to help out on certain issues. If I really am passionate about changing Darfur, and one celebrity I don't like signs on to change Darfur too, it's not going to make me back down. Likewise the same goes for if I am really passionate about Darfur but my favorite celebrity doesn't sign on to change it, I still will make a conscious effort to help out. However the one thing I think celebrities help out a lot with is raising awareness. If a celebrity I like signs on to help out a random crisis I never heard of before it will influence me to look into it, but won't automatically make up my mind that I want to join in and help. I think it's good that the people with a lot of money are making conscious contributions to help turn around these controversial issues of our time.

May 1, 2008 at 8:39 am |
  14. Allison

I agree with smiley face. I mean, I hope the celebrities are not doing it for selfish reasons, but as long as the people are getting the help they need, I'm happy.

May 1, 2008 at 8:41 am |
  15. Brittany

I think it's great when celebrities give money to charities, but to go out of their way to publicize it is a bit much. They should do it because they want to, not to get the public to like them or make themselves out to look like "heros." Sometimes I think all they want is attention.

May 1, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  16. Nathan

They all have so high of an ego that they take credit for saving the world with their money and lip injections. It's not that they don't care, they just want everyone know that they care. It's like saving a cat from a tree and posing for a photo shoot afterwards. Honestly, if I have to hear another speech where George Clooney, of all people, is taking credit for the Civil Rights Movement, I'm going smash my television with a led pipe.

May 2, 2008 at 11:11 am |
  17. Jumanji

as long as celebrities do the good thing as in, giving money who need it , then im fine with that! But, in Myle Cyric's situation right now, (posing naked for a picture) then she would get BIG time attention from the news!

Jumanji :-) :-)

May 3, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  18. Jumanji

as long as the do the good stuff like donating money and building homes for homless people then thats OK! :-)
    Im all fine with that! And well i agree with Bridget! none of my favorite celeb's really helped with anything like that! But they should!!!!
    Well, they should just keep doing that!

May 3, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  19. Jasmine

Personally I think I would support their cause only if I believe they're doing it for the cause. Not just because they are Miley Cyrus or The Jonas Brothers. But if they only do this to get their name more out there, then they are just selfish and rude. Especially to those who thought they were getting the help that they needed.

May 7, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  20. turtle

I think that it would be good if more celebrities would donate to charity, not just overseas...but hear too! We got lots of homeless, poor people that need our help!

August 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. samantha

i think that celeberties should donate to charity because they probably buy sooo much stuff that they dont even use and should give some of it away to someone that will use it and the celeberty will have more room for stuff that they will use.

May 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm |