.
April 21st, 2008

Earth Day 2008

Yep, it's Earth Day! Every April 22 since 1970, we've paused on this day to plant a tree, pick up trash on a riverbank, or something else to keep the planet running a little cleaner. In today's show, we saw a Duke University class that's figuring out ways clean up a polluted creek using a plan created by Mother Nature. It's pretty cool. So, what are you doing this Earth Day? If you or your class is heading out work on a project for Earth Day, don't forget your camera. Document it, and send it to us in an iReport. We may put it on CNN Student News!

Gerald Smith, CNNSN Producer

Posted by , ,
Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Austin

The only thing I have done for Earth day was plant trees and that was last year.

April 22, 2008 at 8:48 am |
  2. zach

sorry but i ain't never done nothing for Earth Day. it ain't really a holiday because we don't get out of school for it. we should though. i probably won't do anything for Earth Day. ever. it ain't really something that means a lot to me. some hippie will plant a tree for me i hope though.

April 22, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  3. Jordyn

I think earth day is cool! Keep it GREEN

April 22, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  4. Delaney

Hello im delaney my class watched your show every friday.

I was discusiing in my class today about a MIME calendar. I am very curious if the world or era will end in 2012. I think this would be a good topic to discuss on student news. thanks!

April 22, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  5. Dakota

I help clean the enverment around me and around everbody ever year.

April 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. :)

To me, it is way easier to say"I love Earth" than really do something for it. 😛

April 23, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  7. fjtgk

i never done anything for earth day but you know i thank im going to start

April 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  8. anthony

we put plasic in a recycle bin and made posters that said keep the earth spinning and thats what we did for earth day.

April 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  9. briana

I think everyone should recycle plastic and paper; WORLD CLEANLENESS

April 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  10. Evelyn

I did something in my class for earth day witch is decorating grocery bags with a saying and a picture!

May 3, 2008 at 9:23 am |
  11. Karen

Our school project to help the earth is to clean up areas whenever we go
    geocaching.

Casper, Wyoming

May 5, 2008 at 12:57 pm |
  12. KC

Earth Day is awesome! Not only does it help preserve our planet, it also shows us just how beautiful our planet is. Too bad there is only one a year.

May 5, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  13. Betty

Earth day is a great way to motivate people to start helping out the community.
    Here are some ways "THINK GREEN"

recycle
    use LED christmas lights
    turn off unneccessary lights
    pick up trash

May 5, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  14. Craig

I think that Earth Day is very stupid and there is no point to it. I don't think that we need Earth Day and that we need to face it that "Global Warming" is false.

West Plains, Missouri

May 6, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  15. stephen

I would have to agree with craig on earth day. Its very stupid and a waste of time. Im sure that there is less that 20% of the world who actually does something for earth day that actually helps the earth. So to me its a ~`BIG`~ waste of time and it should not be a holiday.

May 13, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  16. Angelika

We should be stewards of "earth"... We all need to have a sense of ownership and pride in keeping things as clean/green as possible.
    We shouldn't stop living or existing to accomplish this goal. Small things can make a difference. Large companies need to absolutely contribute to the 'larger scale changes'... they have an obligation and a duty to keep our environment as friendly as possible. However, let's not get carried away with "global warming"... has anyone stopped to think that the earth is also going through it's own aging process... that it's just moaning and groaning and shifting and changing at a more rapid pace... there are things going on down below the core and up above in the atmoshere that we have no control over. Things that only time alone has shown what has happened in it's existence. God has everything under control, when the end comes it doesn't matter how green/warm the earth is!! It only matters how clean our souls need to be. While we are here... let's enjoy and 'not' put 'soooo many restrictions' on existing... but rather, let's be better caretakers!!

May 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  17. Anna-Lise

My friends always tease me for being so 'earthy.' But I don't care! I mean, really! Who can say, "I don't need clean air!" Anybody? Anybody? No.
    So, yesterday, on my driveway I drew an earth and wrote 'Happy Earth Day: April 22!' My neighbors told me they loved it, because so many people forget about earth day. But really, everyday should be Earth Day. I'll say it again:

EVERY DAY SHOULD BE EARTH DAY!!!

June 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  18. Summer

Our school reused the newspaper in art and we always recycle we also went outside and picked up all the trash around our school i think the earth is very impotant without the earth we wouldnt be here so thank the eath for being here and pick the litter up just clean the world!

DO SOMTHING THAT WILL MATTER AND TREAT THE EARTH LIKE EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY!

BEACAUSE IT SHOULD BE!

April 22, 2009 at 7:02 pm |