April 13th, 2008

Solving a Rubik's Cube

A friend of mine once said there are two kinds of people in the world:  those who can solve a Rubik's Cube and those who can't.  I fall into the second category, at least when I'm honest.  (My friends caught on pretty quickly when they noticed that, whenever I "solved" a Rubik's Cube, half the stickers were crooked and the other half were peeling back at the corners.)

Now cup-stacking is something I can wrap my mind around.  It's not that I'm good – it's just that I can complete, albeit slowly, the basic challenges of the game.  The fascinating thing about the Rubik's competition in Monday's show is how quickly the competitors were able to solve the puzzles, when so many folks (ahem) don't solve them to begin with.  I'd be curious to see how many of you have figured them out and what kinds of skills you think that takes.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. :)

I know many people who can solve the cube,they're carzy about it! I never solve it,I'm not even sure where is my cube now...and...I think it was invented to teach architecture.

April 15, 2008 at 8:50 am |
  2. IAmTheWalrus

The Rubik's cube is quite a fascinating puzzle to solve. Of course like Carl Azuz said, there are those who can do it and there are those who just can not. I have the luck to be one of those who can solve the cube and although it may seem crazy, I practiced solving this puzzle when I was a little bit younger. I remember I would try to solve a cube almost every week. However, after a certain period of time I just got too good at it and it was not fun at all. I am quite mad that I never entered any Rubik's cube competition because I know that I could have dominated the competition and make fools out of whoever tried to challenge and beat me. My fastest time was around 1 minute and 26 seconds. If you think thats cool, then consider me Miles Davis. I love the cube and I wish everybody in the world could have half the fun that I did by trying to solve it.

Peace out!

April 18, 2008 at 9:54 am |
  3. -__-

the only skill it takes to solve a rubic's cube is your ability to peel off stickers and place all the colors on the same side. thats the only skill that takes to solve a rubics cube. there impossible and people who solve them cheat because theres no way to solve them without cheating.

April 18, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  4. ↑Hey

I made another skill it takes to solve a rubic's cube that you are able to do is disassemble it and reconstruct to prefer color itself one by one. you may peel off stickers, the cube is going to be tattered.

April 21, 2008 at 8:58 am |
  5. James

Rubik's cubes are really hard, how so those people solve them, I've been trying to solve it for a year and i just cant do it, is there some kind of trick to solving it without cheating. Someone told me that there was, and if anyone knows what it is please tell me I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

April 21, 2008 at 9:08 am |
  6. Iron Chef

By golly, all these youngins saying that you cant solve a Rubik’s cube. Ill tell ya what, back in my day, 1805, I solved Rubik’s cubes everyday in two minutes. It just takes some intellectual skill, something that is lacking in today's world. You all need to figure out how to use your noodle. Just peel off the stickers yo. It's an easy task. That is how you solve the Rubik’s cube. Find yourself a quiet place and peel them stickers off faster than everyone else and you will be the man. Just remember these few fun facts about solving a Rubik’s cube. Ok I'm going back to my grave now. Adios muchachos.

April 21, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  7. ofp

By the year 2010, hopefully Ill still be around, Rubiks Cube competition will be aired on ESPN. Rubik cube competition is a legitimate sport just like baseball, soccer, hockey, and even golf. i mean if golf is showed on ESPN then why cant the rubik cube competition? there just about the same. in rubik cube, all you need to be in mentally strong and have to have great technique. just like tiger woods. im considered the tiger woods, roger federer, alex rodriguz, and barry bonds of rubiks cube. im the best there is. plain and simple. rubiks cube is a real sport and should be taken seriously and it shouldnt be taken lightely. we are real professionals just like all those other guys. ultimately, solving the rubiks cube in competition, is the toughest thing to do. give it at most 5 years and rubiks cube competition will take this world by storm!

April 21, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  8. Cassady

i have a friend named jannah who can work a rubix cube like in 2 secoundsw but me i cant solve it at all i hope 1 day i will figure it out, an she says carl rules

April 23, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  9. Alexa

I can work the rubiks revolution really well but it takes me at least fifteen minutes to solve a regular one. I can solve them easily but to me the only trick is to not memorize and line up the colors.

April 23, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  10. christopher

i cant solve a rubiks cube either but i do see on youtube how people solve them. i saw a guy who had a rubiks cube in his hand and then he said this is how you solve a rubiks cube... then he threw it away. lol but there are all diffrent kinds of rubiks cubes there is a circle one and a pyramid kind.oh.... the cup thing its easy!!! at my old school we did it in gym and i did it in 30 sec. its fun!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  11. michael d

i have looked on youtube and some of the people can solve it in min. my dad went to buy me one so i could try to solve it but win i finished with one color the others were all mixed up thin, i looked on youtube and other web sights to fugeer out how to solve it but the directions were confusing as not using thim so it is in my room collecting dust & spider webs.

April 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  12. Kiki

I still have a Rubix cube that I haven't been able to solve for 6 years! I would TOTALLY lose that contest!

April 29, 2008 at 8:50 pm |
  13. Nathan

When asked to solve a Rubik's Cube, I beat the asking party senseless with the box the original Tetris game came in.

May 2, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  14. Evelyn

I think it takes patcince,and smarts!

May 3, 2008 at 9:21 am |
  15. devin

theres a secret formula that comes with the rubix cube. buy one at toys r us and amaze your friends

May 5, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  16. Olivia

I think it takes patcinces! U have to wait and wait and wait!!!
    What I have to do is peel the stickers off of it and say did it simple!!!
    My friend go like BAM and shes done!!!!
    I wish someday I can do it like that!!!!

May 5, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  17. ginger

My dad is really good at the rubics cube,
    But I am a total loser at it.
    Now crazy eights, go fish, and mother may I I can win.

May 5, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  18. WMS

I have a cube and i can not figure it out. i try to slove it but it is fisically impossible!! i say impossible!!! if you can figure it out, you are crazy!!!

May 6, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  19. Essence

ms west is my favorite teacher ever. ms.west is also family and i'm going to let the whole world knowing it because she is a special person to me. She might not be nice all the time but she can get CRANK I LOVE YOU MS.WEST

May 7, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  20. Korea

my favorite teacher is Ms.West because she help me with my problems, she also is the "CRUNKEST TEACHER EVER" Ms. West is like a nother mother to me i love you ms. west

May 7, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  21. De'Andre

My favorite teacher is Ms.Chaka West.Ms.West is my favorite teacher because she is helpful,funny,and other good things.Ms.West is the CRUNKIEST teacher on the hallway.Nobody on the hallwy can't teach better tha she can't.That's why i pick Ms.West to be my favorite teacher.

Holla!

May 7, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  22. justin.w

my favotite teacher is Mrs.Allen because she makes fun of me.

May 7, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  23. Kendrick

My favorite teacher is Ms. Taylor. I can relate to Ms. Taylor. She's very fun to be around.

May 7, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  24. Jala

My favorite teachers are Mrs. Allen, Henderson,West,Allen. They are all my fun to be around.

May 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  25. Tiffany

I've solved my Rubik's cube - twcie. 😛 To WMS : I am not crazy. I think there's some formula( like x+y=3... ), but i can't remember it!

May 20, 2008 at 4:09 am |
  26. Esther

Actually if you follow the steps on an internet tutorial it is quite simple and easy. My average is around 40 sec.

November 12, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  27. Anonymous

algorithms

February 26, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  28. peter

my cube sucks

March 24, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  29. Simon

Rubiks cubes are hard i have had mine for 1 year and still cannot solve it.

March 31, 2010 at 5:16 pm |