April 7th, 2008

Recycling Phones: Who Cares?

PTA fundraisers, Cell Phones for Soldiers, and now the U.S. Postal Service:  All are offering ways for us to recycle our old phones.  Now why, you may ask, should someone recycle his/her phone when the trash is conveniently located just a few feet away?  Having been tempted to throw my own phone into the garbage/toilet/interstate a number of times, I looked up some info this afternoon and found that electronics are toxic:  Cell phones, MP3 players, PDAs and their batteries all contain stuff that's bad for the environment if they're not properly disposed of.  And eventually, that can be bad for us, too.

Every script I read at work gets recycled, along with every soda can I drink out of; there are bins all over the place at CNN.  If recycling a cell phone is as convenient as a trip to the post office, well, why not?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. cavalier_fan

dude, this does matter and i think it is a good idea. lol!

April 8, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  2. Tony

WOW!!! I never knew that. Next time me or any family member go to throw away any electronics I'll think twice. Thanks for the heads up. My school is always looking for ways to help out the enviornment and now I have a new way.

Thank you Carl Azuz.

Sincerly,
    Tony

April 8, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  3. Jordyn

I think that is an awesome idea because that is bad for the earth! Alway keep it green!

April 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  4. :)

It's great! It will cause less pollution on earth!

April 8, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  5. Abby L

I heard of some kids that get old phones and put minutes and sent them to people Iraq to call there family.Thats a great idea!

April 9, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  6. Ana

I'm from Midwest City and i think that cell phones for soldiers is a great idea because they would be able to call their family when they are away in battle.

April 9, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  7. Colton

What a horrible idea!!

They could use the phones 4 phones in plays and musicals!! :]

Comment if you agree or disagree!!!!!

April 9, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  8. BRooKE

I'm from Wisconsin and I think cell phones for soilders is a great idea because it helps us and the soilders. Plus the enviornment is going to become cleaner.

April 9, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  9. Carl Azuz, Anchor

Hey, guys–
    Here's a follow-up. I JUST replaced my old phone, which was on the fritz, and my cell phone company did something kinda interesting: It sent me a postage-paid envelope I can use to send in my old phone for recycling. So this practice of recycling phones is definitely spreading.

April 10, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  10. Mario

This is a great idea, and they should make a law punishable by a fine if you do not recycle your old phone. It's time to get Green, America.

April 11, 2008 at 1:47 am |
  11. Edilberto

Well i think its a good idea becuse it would make the enviorment cleaner plus the soldiers need it too

So its a good idea!