April 6th, 2008

The Turner Spelling Bee

Yes, I had to wear a name tag.  No, it didn’t say “Dork.”

Yes, I had to wear a name tag. No, it didn't say "Dork."

The last time I stood up and spelled at a microphone, I was in seventh grade.  I'd won the school and county competitions and moved up to the district level, where I was annihilated by some guy who walked in reading Kafka's "Metamorphosis."

I had to look up how to spell "Metamorphosis."

The Turner Executive Spelling Bee, in support of VOX, was a trip back in time.  The participants might've left grade school years (or decades) ago, but there were cupcakes and drink boxes to take us right back!  And the words?  Everything from "poinsettia" to "kamikaze."

In the end, I came in third place and had an AWESOME time doing it.  I also learned the hard way that "millennium" has two Ns.

We'd love to hear what word stumped you in your last spelling bee.  As for me, I'm gonna study like a seventh-grader for my next competition.  Watch out, Kafka.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bradi

You weren't the only one who came in third place! The grade was 5th and the word was "hymn." Hesitantly, I spelled it "hym" and didn't even finish before the bell that all contestants fear, rang...

April 6, 2008 at 8:35 pm | Reply
  2. Joe

I'm a second place loser. We were always taught to spell phonetically in school, which seemed easy enough. Out of 100 students it was me and this white tape on his glasses person that remained. I got the word "vegetable" & he got "zither". He got zither right. How was I to know that there was no "a" between g & t.?.

I still hate vegatables!

April 7, 2008 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  3. Hoshi

This is an important lesson for us all to learn. Check the blogs on CNN and you will see how lousy the average American is at spelling. With the development of the internet, people take shortcuts, abbreviate, curse, and overall just don't care, they just want to type fast. If you have poor spelling, it ruins the credibility of your argument, and few will listen to you. Spelling is crucially important, so keep practising.

April 7, 2008 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  4. Abby L

I was in second grade. It was composite.

April 9, 2008 at 10:27 am | Reply
  5. Xavior

what i think about the show is you guys show lots of stuff we love you.

April 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  6. marie

um i can belive that u were in a spelling bee carel even know this is off the subject but my socail studys class really love to watch u on cnn news so im taking off! ^^
    U

April 9, 2008 at 6:28 pm | Reply
  7. Colton

i was in 4th grade against an 8th grader!!

I misspelled EXPERIMENT! wait... is that how you spell it?

I got runner-up but thats ok!

April 9, 2008 at 6:46 pm | Reply
  8. Lauren

Wow Carl. You are so amazing I can't even stand it. I really wish I could be as cool as you are! It's also pretty amazing that you came in 3rd in the spelling bee. But next time, you better win.

April 9, 2008 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  9. :)

Wow, Colton, I think that was good enough.

April 11, 2008 at 6:03 am | Reply
  10. Colton

hahaaa thanks. i also was in it in the 6th grade

but i forgot what i got out on...

oh well

April 13, 2008 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  11. jake

i think spelling bees are really cool

April 23, 2008 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  12. jake

i was in a spelling bee once

April 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  13. Harry

One thing i hate about Spelling Bee during Middle School is that you can not go back and fix the letters if you "accidently" got wrong.

April 26, 2008 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  14. Anna-Lise

Way to go, Carl! I love spelling bees! I've been in one every year since third grade, and I got or tied second almost every time, so I know how you feel. The last two years, however, I made it on to District. I feel proud of that because I was the only girl AND the only sixth-grader last year. This year I actually tied for third at District level! Next year is my last year, and I want to make it farther. REGIONALS! HERE I COME!!!

June 9, 2008 at 9:04 am | Reply