.
March 27th, 2008

If You Could CHOOSE Your Family...

John McCain's a distant cousin of Laura Bush?  Hillary Clinton's related to Celine Dion?  I thought Friday's report on genealogy was awesome!  Now I've never had my own records professionally researched, but the segment got me thinking about whom I'd like to be related to.

Wouldn't it be cool to say you're a great driver because you're distantly related to Mario Andretti?  Maybe you've always had an interest in flying because a tenth cousin was the Red Baron or Eddie Rickenbacker.  Think about this:  Who would be some of the coolest people to have in your family?

Filed under: Feedback
  1. thatcavalierfan

um, well i'd love to be in labron james's family or like, miley cyrus, that would be so awseome, i think it would also be neat to be in barak obama's family, cause i think he is a really good dad and i hope he will be the next president! i love barak obama! the only thing i don't approve of is that he is for abortion, which is absolutly wrong, annyway....

March 27, 2008 at 11:13 pm | Reply
  2. Alice

Carl Azuz!!!!(HA!)

March 27, 2008 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  3. Carrie

Well speaking of family trees, I've researched and talked to family members about the topic. It turns out I'm related to Mickey Mantle! My grandfather's last name is Mantle, and his cousin was Mickey! Both of my brothers play club baseball, so I suppose they could brag about their great baseball skills, inherited of course, by their famous relative! Thanks for making a news segment about this, it really got me thinking!

March 28, 2008 at 12:51 am | Reply
  4. Caleb

One of the best would definitely be George Washington. The man was a genius (and it would also explain my wanting to hold to his policies....). The fact that he still remains the only unanimously elected president remains unchanged. That alone should be proof that the man was awesome.
    I'd also have to say Winston Churchill. He was also awesome, and a genius of a man. You just have to love him.

March 28, 2008 at 9:46 am | Reply
  5. Tonio

What I thought when I first saw this story on CNN Student News was:

"Oh Carl, did you have a boring sleepless night so that you got up and researched all those relatives?" xD

I'm pretty satisfied with who I am related to. I'm really proud of my uncle, who is a journalist writing and traveling all over the world for a in Europe well known magazine (it's called "GEO"). I guess he is one of the best people alive, I don't know anyone greater than him. We don't see each other very often, but if we do, he always tells me new stories he experienced on his reportages.
    This can last long for hours, but it's just wonderful, hearing stories about places you don't know.

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

March 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  6. King

me 2. i would want to be related to a rich famous person. lik michael jordan or king james. i would be swimming in money!

March 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm | Reply
  7. Fletch

I would love for my family to go back to Paul, Moses, David, or someone else from the Bible. More current people would be Chevy Chase, Chris Tomlin, and Mark Hall.

March 28, 2008 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  8. :)

Maybe I am related to one of the people leaving comments here! Hmm......

March 28, 2008 at 9:08 pm | Reply
  9. Robyn

I would LOVE to be related to Robyn Feeter (also known as Rihanna) or Mariah Carey. They have great voices, so I would be proud to say my voice comes from them. Also, if I was related to Rihanna, I could say I am her namesake!

March 28, 2008 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  10. Abby

I dont relly care who im related to only if they are kind to me i would be happy!!!! Money is not as good as love!!

March 28, 2008 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  11. Tonio

Hey guys and Carl,

I just came back from a really great party which now turned out not to be such a great party...

...because someone stole my 250€-iPod. It was my birthday present and we (or better said: my family) really can't afford to get a new one for me.

My mother deliberately saved the money for it.

I'm so sorry to write it in here, but I'm really sad because music means a lot to me and I still can't believe, how cruel and evil people can get, it's so unbelievable.

Usually, I'm the guy who believes in the kind of good will of ALL people but what now??

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany; watching you guys from iTunes now instead of my iPod during the breaks in school.........

March 28, 2008 at 11:59 pm | Reply
  12. Rob

The coolest people to have in my family, would be Barack Obama, Morgan Freeman, Keifer Sutherland, and Keanu Reeves.

March 29, 2008 at 3:09 am | Reply
  13. zach

I have looked up my family history before. I am 25% Finish, Norwiagian. and Whalsh. Accorrding to ansestory.com I could be related to a Finish Olimpian or a Finish carpenter. So I hope its the Olimpian! Anyway I think it would be cool to be related to Marequette de Laffaye or Davy Croket.

March 30, 2008 at 11:30 am | Reply
  14. Sara

I would love to be related to a famous author, writer or poet!! Like Jane Austen or Robert Frost. That would rock! 🙂 Also maybe Ruth, or Esther from the Bible.

March 31, 2008 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  15. Meg

I wish I could be related to a famous poet, or just anyone famous. Even so, I love my family just the way they are (mostly). ;P

March 31, 2008 at 5:21 pm | Reply
  16. Joseph from Mrs.Mayer's Class

Who would I like to be related to? I would want to be related to C.S. Lewis and J.K.Rowling. Famous authors, who almost everyone knows about and who have written books that I really like. Other people who I would like to be related to would be George Washington, and even the Queen of England. That would be cool to say that you are related to anyone famous!

March 31, 2008 at 6:46 pm | Reply
  17. Raychal

i would love to be related to George washington Carver! it would be so cool to be related to the man who invented peanut butter! that would rock! plus who doesn't want peant butter money??!! ;0

March 31, 2008 at 7:01 pm | Reply
  18. Stephanie

I'd love to be related to the Mythbusters. That'd make for one interesting family reunion.

I am distantly related to President Bush, though. And somewhere on my Dad's side of the family we were Royalty, if I remember correctly.

April 1, 2008 at 8:16 am | Reply
  19. kaila

You can't chose your family ya you get in fights but your family loves you and just deal with it if you go through hard times because your family is a whole group.

April 1, 2008 at 3:03 pm | Reply
  20. Faith

I would love to be related to Brad Pitt, or Jared Leto. That would be SO cool!

April 3, 2008 at 10:38 pm | Reply
  21. Tabitha

Why whould you chosse a family if you all ready have a family and they love you!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  22. Christina

Why would you choose a family.

April 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  23. sdavis11

i wouldn't choose a different family...im proud of them. and since were mormon were huge on family and geneology!!!!! im related to a lot of really neat people.

June 3, 2008 at 12:52 pm | Reply

Post a comment

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.