March 24th, 2008

Some Thoughts (and Video) on Hugging

ALT TEXT

Dohaa and Michelle weigh in on the hugging controversy at one Arizona middle school, and they give a little Shoutout to Carl.

Earlier this month, a lot of you weighed in on a story about hugs being limited to two seconds at an Arizona school.  We saw responses varying from students who hate hugs to those who hate not being allowed to hug.  What we've posted here is an iReport featuring two Florida students' opinions on the topic...along with an opinion on a certain CNNSN host.

Thank you both for your kind words, though I'm a little embarrassed and getting teased NO END by my coworkers!

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Alice

I can't even see the video! 😦

March 25, 2008 at 7:49 am |
  2. Indrid

Is everyone still on that? Leave it alone all ready! It's not even news.

March 25, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  3. Amy

Today's news report infuriated me! The summary of the political parties was slanted! Republicans were portrayed as rich people that don't care about the poor...that's just wrong...come on CNN how about giving an unbiased report! Also, the report about the war in Iraq was so negative...Since our men and women are serving and giving their lives, why not show some of the good things that are going on rather than only the bad? The weeks that there were no deaths after the resurgance of troops, hardly any reports were given, now that we have hit the 4000 mark its another opportunity to "Bush Bash" once again....please America is so sick of it!

March 25, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  4. lainie

hey hugging is a fun way to say hi and to greet friends but they shouldnt abandan hugging, hugging is fun

March 25, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  5. Rico

wow! i couldnt belive that when i heard that. i mean 2 seconds. you cant even say hi or sup in that time frame. Good thing I dont go to that school!

March 25, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  6. sven

It takes 2 seconds just to get your arm around somone. thats outrageous. I get hugged by my friend all the time. I mean jeesh. You are not going to die, i assure you.

March 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  7. Rebecca

Ok everyone gives everyone hugs. If it is like your boyfriend or girlfriend and you are hugging for a long tim then I see where that rule could play. Also, if they ban hugging for more than 2 seconds, would that apply to teachers if their spouses came in?

March 26, 2008 at 10:04 am |
  8. Rebecca

I read a comment above and im mad too. Republicans are not rich! Republicans can be middle class and poor too. I don't know why you guys did that, now I don't know what to believe on here anymore.....

March 26, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  9. Isabella

dang. hugging for 2 seconds. thats the amount of time to just get your arm around the person youre hugging. good thing i live in indiana.

March 26, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  10. Yuriko

Hug wit love!! Hugging is a good trick when little kids cry!! Hugging is not like killing. It's being *nice* !! Anyway, some news just DOES NOT make sense!

March 26, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  11. :(

I clicked on the picture above to see the video,but I couldn't see it!!! I don't know why. Can somebody tell me what they're saying? And...a little idea about that financial program today,I think it's great!!!

March 27, 2008 at 9:07 am |
  12. Ben

I love to hug people. Why would they discourage people from showing their affection for one another. Two seconds is not long enough to convey your heartfelt concern for someone.

March 27, 2008 at 9:32 am |
  13. Sara

Carl's got some girlfriends!! OOOHHHH! Hey, JK.

March 27, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  14. Jacki

i think that it's stupid that we can't hug in school!!!! when my friends sister died i couldn,t give her a PROPEP hug bECAUSE OF SCHOOL RULES

March 27, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  15. thatcavalierfan

dude, its totally stupid that kids @ some middle schools can't even give each other a hug! gosh, its just a hug, if they were like, making out or something, thats different, but not being allowed to give a friend a HUG, wow! i'm glad they don't have that rule @ my school....

March 27, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  16. Carrie

I live in AZ, and when I heard this report, I freaked! If the district rules that hugging is banned, they might have influence on my school! I think hugging is perfectly fine. In the beginning of the year, we had an orientation on appropriate campus behavior. One of the rules is "No hugging, No PDA". After this rule was read, the students went nuts. However our school couselor said that hugging was acceptable, as long as they were brief. She disagreed with hugs in the form of full-on body presses. I agree with her. Students should be allowed to hug, but it shouldn't be excessive.

March 28, 2008 at 12:56 am |
  17. Abby

Not hugging should not be a rule because it just a way of friendship!! Its stupied the way the schools do. some teachers at my school hug there student although your our not allowed to hug. if teachers are allowed to hug there students, the students should be able to hug each other!!

March 28, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Rob

People that ban hugging, need a hug. A big bear-hug!

March 29, 2008 at 3:10 am |
  19. zach

I think that this is stupied that you can give hugs. but, i don't care i still give them.

April 4, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  20. Vanessa

Huggism! spread the love! 🙂
    a hug is. like. the perfect gift! one size fits all, and nobody minds if u exchange it! yay!

April 7, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Codie

It is an outrage to think that teachers/faculty members would take the time(time that could be used HELPING students) watching them and making sure they weren't HUGGING???? Now if it was kids kissing or anything beyond that then something should be said, but when a hug is given, it is given as a sign of friendliness and hospitality into your life. Many of the students at my high school often times kiss and they get into minor trouble(for the first offense) and are allowed to hug because it shows that they are lovers not fighters and aren't looking for a fight.

May 22, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  22. brooke

I think that hugging for 2 sec. is wrong. u should hug as long as u wont. its not like were going to make out or anything.
    At my school were not even aloud to hug.

March 3, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
    • Dennis

Hi Jasmine, thanks for stpniopg by. The dog featured here is in the Mastiff family, it is a brindle color but not exactly sure which species it is as there are several. If you would like to know more just do a Google search for mastiff or mastiff dog breed or you can always go to the site for more info.For your future reference I'm about to start a series of letters on different breeds so if you would like to I'd love to have you as one of my valued readers.Once again thanks for stpniopg by and look forward to hearing more from you. and remember Keep It Pawsitive,Karen and TrixieSkype me = cashqueenkc

July 19, 2012 at 10:30 am |