.
March 19th, 2008

Your Opinion: The Iraq War

It's undoubtedly one of the most controversial subjects we've covered on CNN Student News.  If you've been following our show (or the news in general), you've heard everyone discuss it, from the president to the people who want his job, from supporters to protesters to the families of U.S. troops who are serving overseas.

Well, here's a chance for you to post your thoughts.  Please take a moment to tell us what you think of the war, wherever your opinion may be.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jade

I dio not support the Iraq War. It was created for no specific cause. Sure we won the first time, but now we're at war (with them) again. The Iraq war is not only making America look like a violent coutry (which is bad for us citizens), it is affect innocent people in other countries.

March 19, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  2. Lizette

Im somewhat in between. The war may have taken the power of Sudam Hussien but at the same time it left many families in america alone without their loved ones, and five years later it is still going on. my question is what are we still doing there?

March 19, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  3. James

I think we should withdraw from Iraq. If the other nations think we are weak, so be it. All that really matters is what we, as a country, think. We are losing soldiers, money, and our sense of nationalism from 9/11. We just can't (or won't) get Bin Laden. We need to stop being the world police, and just protect ourselves.

March 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Tonio

This is a big subject, so I've got to be very careful in what I write now.

The Iraq war officially ended about a month and a few days after Bush declared the state of the war. But even today there are troops, including the ones from many other countries like the Netherlands or Germany. So why are there still troops when there shouldn't be a war any more?

One of my biggest problems on this is that the US-troops stay there because they want to build up a new democracy. But every day the TV shows us how many people died again in a new bombing attack. Why does it never show us the positive results the troops get there?

Are there good results at all?

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

March 20, 2008 at 6:06 am |
  5. Kyle

Bush says "The challenge in the period ahead is to consolidate the gains we have made and seal the extremists' defeat." but i don't think sealing their defeat is at all possible, at least not in my life time. If that means a seemingly endless amount of war and continual human destruction then i am completelly against it.

March 20, 2008 at 8:38 am |
  6. Felicia

I believe that we went to Iraq for a good reason, to help other countries in need, and I believe that we need to stay in Iraq to finish what we started. If we just pull out all of our troops within a year, that just makes us seem like a very vulnerable country, and leaves us to be attacked again, and having the possiblity of another 9/11.

March 20, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  7. Kyle

I am against the war in Iraq. I think that the leaders that we vote into office are placed there to represent the people. However, if the majority of the people don't wish to be in a state of war, and their representatives don't comply, that is a misrepresentation of the people.

March 20, 2008 at 8:50 am |
  8. Alice

I think there's a much better way to solve the problem in Iraq.Wars cost precious lives and leaves hundreds of broken families. I think it's not worth it.

March 20, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  9. Sean

My opinion on the war is that we need it for security. After 9/11 we were in desperate need of help and I believe that the war in iraq has given us a sense of security. If we wouldn't have sent our troops to the Middle East we would have been open to more Terrorist Attacks and the whole world would have been in danger. I wish we didn't have to go to war but when something is need to be done we have to get it done for international security.

March 20, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  10. AlexanderTheGreat

Five years really seems like a long time, but when you think of it, it has really flown by. I feel like the war was something that we really needed to do to prove that we ill stand up for what is right, but enough is enough, I understand that the job isn’t done but we do need to hurry up and get the job done.

March 20, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  11. Dustin

Well what i think about the war is that it is about time to start to pull people out of the of the war Just pull out them in phases because you dont need to pull them all out of the war at the same time. But they are alot of people losing there life when there is not to much more we can do over there. So i think all the troops need to be out of Iraq by this time next. Because all they are doing is make the Iraq people so mad that when its over they will try to attack us again.

March 20, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  12. Serge

I think that America is just wasting there time and money while being in the war of Iraq. Our economy is down and I don’t think a main portion of money should be going to the military. 5 years is long enough and hopefully the army can finish up there duty now, or else this war will go on forever.

March 20, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  13. ashley

I think that the Iraq war should be over and that its stupid for bush to keep all the soldiers over seas when they should be home with their friends and family having a good time. We found who started the war so to me I think it should be over and done with, bush keeps saying that he wants to make peace and stuff but all he keeps doing is make the people in Iraq madder and madder , so how is the war suppose to end?

March 20, 2008 at 10:23 am |
  14. Zach

I think the war in iraq is stupid because we(our country) is spending all that money in iraq for one guy that could be any where in the world and we are boming a place that does not have the guy we are looking for and that money we need for other stuff

March 20, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  15. Zane

I think this war is not worth the cost. As a country we have spent 3 trillion dollars. The president doesn't seem to understand that we eventually have to pay for it. My generation is going to have to cover the cost, plus whatever interest it gains. What are we gaining by continuing to maintain a presence in Iraq? More Islamic extremists? The stability of one Middle Eastern country is not worth all of the lives and money we have spent. Our government structure works well for America, but not for Iraq. I think we have no business in Iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 10:48 am |
  16. Roozee

I am torn between because our guys have had enough trouble but I dont know if they got what they came for.

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  17. Keilah

I think we were making changes in iraq but we have people talking about bringing more troops into the country. I don't think that they should do that because i don't want any of my family or friends getting called to iraq. I think we are losing to many solders in the battle and we don't need to indanger more lives. I thnk recently we haven't been impacting iraq or getting any changes made. We have in the past but now it seems like our troops are just there and it's been a very long time. I think they should end the war soon and bring troops home to there families.

March 20, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  18. Rhianna

We've always been taught growing thought that weo wrongs don't make a right and that if someone tries to start a fight, you walk away thus becoming the "bigger man". When are we going to practice what we preach? The death toll of soldiers and innocents is rising, we have to stop now before its too late.

March 20, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  19. Macauley

I believe that this war has been gonig on for too long and we need to start bringing the troops home to their families. So many of them have lost their lives for a cause that may not even be clear to them. This war is costing America an obscene amount of money and that is not something that is helping our economy right now as it is going down the drain. But no mater how long this war goes on and how much I disagree with it, I will continue to support the troops and what they are risking and sacrificing every day.

March 20, 2008 at 10:53 am |
  20. Jenny

For the last five years I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about the war. This is totally fine, but what I don't understand is why people can't support the troops. No matter if we are fighting in a war that they don't believe in, the men and women who are putting their lives on the line day and night need a little bit of thank you. It fustrates me to see all these war protesters, not because of them believing in their own opinions, but they don't seem to notice or care that are armed forces are doing the best they can and standing up for every single one of us.

March 20, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  21. Andrea

Like most Americans, I believe that the war in Iraq is not benefiting our country. I can say that because we have lost way too many soldiers. Families are devastated with increasing deaths of their loved ones. And not only are soldiers dying, but a lot of money is being wasted towards the war. I wish for the war to stop and all troops return to their homes.

March 20, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  22. TREVOR

i dont think it a good idea because troops a just dieing out their from booms and guns...if we did not do to iraq we would not be in this situation and the would not be a threat unless they move farther then iraq so we should get our troops out of their

March 20, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  23. Craig

The U.S. being over in Iraq is like a two-sided blade. It's cool how we [helped] the people over there [get rid of] a dictator and [are getting rid of] extremists. I can't help but think the government has a hidden agenda. Maybe they're after oil and oil is nothing to sacrifice soldiers for.

March 20, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  24. Marcus

I feel that America should not be in Iraq right now, at least not so many of our soldiers. We have done everything we need to do over there except train the Iraqi troops. Saddam is overthrown and Iraq has a new government set up. The question is why are we still there?

March 20, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  25. Demetrius

I think the war in Iraq is good because of the fact we took Saddam out of power. but at the same time I don't think we had to stay this long.

March 20, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  26. Kaileighandra

I think the war is both a good and a bad thing because although it is costing us nearly $5 billion to be there, we are trying to benefit not only ourselves but Iraq. We want to help them become a democracy, but at the same time we want to remain the country of freedom and priviledge we have been since 1776.

(kay-lee-ann-dra)

March 20, 2008 at 11:10 am |
  27. Matthew W (mr.sylvia's)

I dont think that we should still be in this war in Iraq.
    Personaly i think that we have no right to go over to their country and invade on their lives by having a war.Also i think that there are too many deaths happening in Iraq. There have allready been over4000 deaths of our troops. No more people should have to fight and die in this war. That is what i think about this present war i Iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  28. patrick

I think that the war is good because we have to defend are selfs.[the us]Since alcidea hit the wrold trade center. that a grate reson tobomb them. Also because we have the stronggest milletary in the wold . so why should't we be in iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  29. Timothy

My opinion of the Iraq war is that it is just a waste of time, because we are spendng billions of dollars in this war and it has still been going on for about 5 years. Most of us also have family members in Iraq that we have lost. Our economy has been drasticly affected by the Iraq war. This is why ithink the Iraq war is a waste of time.

March 20, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  30. Ryan

This war is finally getting the criticism it deserves. I totally 100% support our troops, but I DON'T support the reasons we are there. At this point I have a hard time finding a benefit from this war. The important task is to keep our country moving and not continue into a recession. America at this point needs to worry about itself the value of dollar is declining, businesses are struggling, oil is continuing to rise, and finally billions of dollars that have been lost could have been used for health care.

March 20, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  31. Brett

I don't like the war in Iraq because the country is using up alot of money for the war

March 20, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  32. Justin

My opinion on the Iraq war is that our new president should slowley start to pull out the troops and help rebuild the cities and houses that we have destroyed. Then maybe we can start agreeing on a new solution!

March 20, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  33. Crystal

I think that the Iraq war has no foundation. I also think that if there really was a war on terrorism, we would have atleast someone fighting back. When I see news coverage about the war is it always about the U.S. troops invading some news place or the U.S. troops dieing. What I don't see is who the U.S. troops are fighting. I know that there are forces fighting, but how come we never hear about them? I think that when the U.S. acquires a new president, there wil be some major changes. I personally like Obama, and if Obama does turn out to be our new president, then there is an almost 100% change that the U.S. troops will be pulled out of Iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  34. Mahammad

I like the puppys and I want to buy one. Also the war in iraq should be stopped.

March 20, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  35. Sheila

I think the war has gotten completely rediclous. My boyfriend's brother is in the marines and no one should have to go through what he's gone through.

March 20, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  36. Ashleigh

I oppose the war in Iraq. i believe that the war is pointless and we should be focusing our efforts on Afghanistan and other high priority countries... such as ourselves. The troops should not be trying to rebuild another country when our country is slowly falling apart. And the war is costing us too much money adn effecting our economy in a negative way. =[

March 20, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  37. Rico

Bring our troops home! We arent accomplising anything over there as of now! All we are doing is wasting money!

March 20, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  38. Sera

With friends in Iraq and friends that have come home a completly different person i am definitly all for the war being over. I think that we need to finish the job i would just like the job to be done. It sucks having to worry all the time. Saying goodbye to your friends who you may never talk to again is one of the roughest things you have to. I am currently dating a U.S soldier, he has gone to Iraq and he has shared some pretty awful stories. Our men are seeing things over there that no one should have to see. I have met people who say that soldiers that they knew that didnt come back with them still visit them, I have heard some crazy stories. I am okay with the war i would just like it to be over.

March 20, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  39. andrew

the iraq war is completely ridiculous.it serves no purpose at all.almost 5,000 u.s.men and women have lost there lives fighting for a country led by a man who puts death and hate breeding over domestic issues like the value of a dollar wich is still decreasing, and the environment. if 66 percent of the country opposses the war why are the troops still there? would the leader of our country really rather have a war losing lives and breaking up familys than deal with issues in the u.s.?

March 20, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  40. Corey

The war in Iraq has been made very hard to understand because everywhere you someone is always saying we shouldn't be there. But, there are so many mixed emotions and we are already in Iraq and making huge progress. If we listened to anti-war groups and pulled out of Iraq, they would feel great at first but that is showing other countries we wont really do anything if we are attacked. The terrorist attacked us on our own soil and they want us to just say "whatever." I am shipping out for basic training in June for the Air Force because i believe what we are doing is right!

March 20, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  41. Dan

I think that the families that still have their relatives in Iraq should support adding more troops. If they start bringing back the troops, then the small number that is left there waiting is vulnurable to attack. I also think that some of the troops that have been there a long time should be rotated. I feel that we should stay there untill the job is done.

March 20, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  42. Melissa

I believe that they war in Iraq was needed. I feel that if our country were to have let the terrorist come into our country kill our family and friends who were innocent and blow up our land then we are not only telling Iraq it is okay to attack our country we are also telling the rest of the world it is okay to do so. However I do believe the war in Iraq should be done with. I am not saying pack up and get out right away, but I am saying slowly back out. We are losing more than we are gaining. But we also have hurt their home land and cannot just walk away, because I believe the United States is not a cold hearted country. Once we are done helping Iraq re-build their government then we need to get out of there!

March 20, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  43. Robert

People can have their own thoughts on the war but when they don't know that houner that a solders have to protect their homes they shouldn't talk about it.

March 20, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  44. Stephen

I think that the troops should pull out of Iraq. I think that they should pull out of Iraq because more than 4,000 troops have died while in iraq and even more will die if we dont pull them out. Having the troops dieing like that really affects the family.

March 20, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  45. Jesse N.

I think that the war is a waste of time and money.Every day we have soldiers die.Also shipping gas to Iraq is making it more expensive in the U.S.We should just pull out the troopsand end the war.

March 20, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  46. brett

I think that the war has gone on long aunff they should tranig the guys there and leave

March 20, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  47. jacob

I think the war is a good thing because the terrorists out there want to kill us i beleve that this war is not just about the terrorism i think this is about the survival of bot the contries if america and iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  48. mahlon

i think the war is the stupidest thing in this country...other than crack.....but it needs to stop.....people like me...teenager in high school...some of us have jobs some of us dont. we are going to be the ones paying for this when we get older have families, are on our own. i think this country is great but not when were over in another one telling them what to do when its THEIR COUNTY NOT OURS. us which is the future generation. are gunna be in deep **** for this and it doesnt make me happy knowing that im gunna be in dept when i didnt do anything or spend any money....CARL YOU ROCK!!!

March 20, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  49. Blake S

I believe that being in Iraq is right. Making peace there will be good for the world. Freedom is agreat thing to be able to have, I think helping give other people freedom is a good thing. Enen though we lost over 4,000 men I think we should stay there until Iraq is a better place.

March 20, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  50. Logan

I think that our troops in iraq should be there. I think this because if the weren't, there would be another terorist attack by someone who admired BinLaddin but hated the U.S.

March 20, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  51. Jessica

I think that we should send the troops back. We been over there for 5 years. I know that we are trying to help their goverment but we lost many of people and were doing the best that we can.

March 20, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  52. Sean

I dont like anything about the iraq war. I dont like it because my cousin is in the war. Also i think that everyone should not be at iraq we should fust bomb them and be done with it all.

March 20, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  53. Bailey

I think the war in Iraq is not the greatest idea ever. But, I support the troops for fighting and protecting our country. It takes alot to be brave enough that you would risk your life for your friends, family and fellow citizens to be safe!

March 20, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  54. Shadee'

I think that we should bring the troops home because we have been over there for 5 years and I think that we have done all that we should have done over there and we are wasting our time.We already have killed the terrorist behide 9/11 and have killed most of the population in Iraq.Also, we have lot alot of people aswell.So,I think that its time to bring our troops home.

March 20, 2008 at 1:50 pm |
  55. Ryan

I think that the war in iraq is a bunch of crap our troops are dying almost every day, plus my uncle's in the war and i worrie everyday and watch the news to make sure he isn't dead.

March 20, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  56. Brittany

I think that the war in Iraq is a waste of our time, money and resources. We are losing men and women everyday to a war that realistically isnt ours. Iraq never had weapons of mass destruction and probably never will.

March 20, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  57. Sara

I support the troops and the war in Iraq. Are country was attacked, insulted and in danger and President Bush made the best decision he could at that time. Even though lives have been lost, families seperated, innocent people killed and that never is a good thing!!! The war was needed to keep our country safe. There is no sense in debating about whether we should be there or not, WE ARE! Citizens need to accept that now there is no turning back. We need to finish this and help Iraq get back on it's feet. Not impose our government style on them, but give them the tools to rebuild theirs. We need to give comfort to the grieving and support those who are still defending the ever precious freedom of the United States.

March 20, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  58. patrick

i think the war is bad because men and women from our country should be here with the people who love them they have a family of there own to look after and if bush wants peace so bad lets take him over seas put a bullet proof vest on him and give him a AK47 and let him make peace and the people of this country can wath and see how he turns out

BRING THEM HOME ! ! ! !

LET BUSH MAKE PAECE (;

March 20, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  59. SamiH

My opinion of the Iraq war is this: I think that we should stay in Iraq to fight for our freedom. All the troops have decided that they wanted to fight for freedom. If they didn't want freedom to our country than why would they go? There are many troops that could be giving up their lives for our country, but they decided to fight. I thank all of the troops and George Bush for wanting our country to be free and fight for the freedom. That is why I think we should stay in Iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  60. Gennah

I don't think the war in Iraq is right. People loose their lives, just to win a battle. We have lost too many. I don't think it is right. Too many people have lost their lives, how many more can we afford to lose? I hope either Obama or Clinton wins. They said they would stop this tradgety.

March 20, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  61. CharleneB

My opinion is that we shouldn't stay in Iraq because we're looseing a lot of money from the troops & from the equipment that we use. Most of the americans think that we should stay in Iraq but I think that we shouldn't

March 20, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  62. Kaye

I think that the troops should come home because we have done enough in Iraq. We've been there for five years and had over 4,000 people die. People in Iraq can fight for themselves. Many families miss their loved ones or have had their loved ones die. The war is a bad thing and the troops have to come home before they die.

March 20, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  63. Hayley

The war in iraq is worthless. There was never weapons of mass destruction and they probably never will be. That was just a coverup for President George W. Bushs real reason to go into Iraq. He just wanted get back at Sudam Hussain for trying to assasinate, former President George H. Bush.

March 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  64. Pat

i think we should stay in iraq because the oil that is over there and we need it, but i think we should come back because we have lost alot of lives and we spent over 500 billion dollars and i think that is worth way more than the oil and if we lose all of are men then we won'thave anymore army to defend our country if something happens and we need them they should be her not in iraq or dead.

March 20, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  65. Mallory

I support the Iraq War. I support it because if the U.S didnt stop what was happening over in Iraq it would still be going on. Also we would have never captured the people we did. If we take our troops out now the the U.S is going to look weak and it will seem like we did all we could and we dont want to do anymore. If we stay in the "war" we could find Osama Bin Laden. Also, if we leave would never find him and he could overrule the country again. People say that the troops should come home but the truth is the troops signed up and they were'nt froced. The troops went over there to surve the country. The Iraqis can't fight without our help. So that is why i support the Iraq War.

March 20, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  66. Julio

I think that the troops should stay in Iraq just in case terrists try to bomb us so we can be safe.

March 20, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  67. zach

The Iraq war is not afordable in money or deaths. but you can't just stop a war without concequinces.

March 20, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  68. Zak

It's not right, a person is dying right now and none of it is getting better.
    We need to pull our troops out of there.The war is a drain, financhaly emotionaly.

March 20, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  69. nicholas

Iraq War + 5 Years + Almost 4,000 Have Died + 25,000 Wounded = Very Bad................VERY BAD

March 20, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  70. Brian

We should never have done anything more than look for WMD. We should of pulled out as soon as we didn't find any. It would have saved lives on both sides.

March 20, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  71. Brittany

The U.S. was right to invade Iraq. Now the troops need to be pulled out because we've done everything we needed to do in order to help the Iraqis. We should really be paying attention to our own problems, like the economy.

March 20, 2008 at 2:27 pm |

I don't think we should be fighting in Iraq. It's causing too much damage, too many deaths, and too much debt.

March 20, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  73. Brett

There is a need for a friendly country in that area of the world where people don't like us so much.

March 20, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  74. Henry

I believe it was a big mistake to wage war on people that have not harmed us or waged war on us. We need to ask the Iraqi people that have lost everything they have worked for all their lives and the people who have lost their love once like a child, spouse, or a parent(s). Are you better off now or 5 years ago. I would like to see Mr. Bush answer those people and explained to them that what they have now is the best for them. If we are so proud of what we have done. Why don't we show on the evening news the coffins of our soldiers that came home. Why don't we have the chance to mourn with their families as a one nation.

March 20, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  75. Brianna

I feel like the iraq war isn't really a need but it could help the united states if won. But as the five year anniversary approched my feelings for the war have changed. It has taken the lifes of so many american soilders and even people who are not involved that its turned to more of like a threat. The iraq people are just making more threats on our nation that it is beginning to effect every day citizens. With the loss of so many people in 9|11 we have really be scarred. This war has no big effects on us if losed or surrendered so i think that having a new president comming into the white house that wants to take all soilders from iraq and bring them home to their families will be the best thing at the time.

March 20, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  76. Kelsey

I think that we should end the war in Iraq. I know that Bush wants us to stay in Iraq until we win. But what if we don't win? So many troops are dying each day and so many families have been devastated. Also we are wasting money every day as the war goes on. I say that we end this war as soon as possible and figure out a more peaceful way to settle are differences with Iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  77. travis

i think that president bush should pull the troops from iraq. It's because we have already done what we needed to doin iraq. Also because the longer the soldiers stay in iraq the more chance there us of the getting killed. I think too many soldiers have died already. So president Bush should just stop the war

March 20, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  78. Cady

I think that the soldiers in Iraq should just come home. They are pretty much fighting over there for nothing. They went over there to search for nuclear weapons and they found none. So why are they still there? I hope that the next president elected, will bring them home.

March 20, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  79. Kara&cassie

in my opinion this war is completley out of line.
    i think this because we are killing our people over in iraq,
    yes this war can be very important however we are still fighting in a war that has been going on 5 years now and we have not made any progress we are trying to get a country that has no intetion of making any thing better try to make peace with the usa, it is not workign and i am very upset with the fact that our goverment thinks it is okay with this , my brother is goign to be over in iraq soon fighting in a pointless war and i am ANGRY about it.
    -kara

March 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  80. Shannon

I think the war in irag is unnecessary because it wastes alot of money and just look at how many people hve died so far and i just don't tink it's right!!

March 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  81. Chris

The war in Iraq has gone on for too long. We were right to go there but for over 5 years. For these 5 years we've been there the U.S has spent way too much money, taken too many lives and taken time away from soldiers families. The economy is terrible and there are protests aganst the war all the time.

March 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  82. Rebecca

My feelings on the war are divided. Part of me thinks invading Iraq was the right thing to do. We are trying to stop the terrorists and to help the Iraqi people. But, too many American soldiers have died and we need to pull out, we have already done all we can.

March 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  83. Evan

When I think about Iraq citizens I think of violent people. I know that before this war was started I wasn't at all thinking that. And it is probably the same way for them. We are fighting about Oil!!! Are there not more important things to worry about. Like the starving children...and global warming. We should be spending our time and money on something that matters. With all the money we have spent on the war we could have already solved world hunger! Think about President Bush. What if it was your son our daughter going to Iraq. End the war in Iraq!!!

March 20, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  84. Amanda

I feel both ways, I feel sorry for the people who have to go and fight because they could lose their life. I think sometimes it isn't needed though sometimes I feel they can handle their country themselves. They have a person in control. My last reason for taking them out of Iraq is that it will help our economy which really needs help. I also feel that it is necessary because we need to make sure that there are no more tarrorist attacks. We can't stop fighting if their is a risk that there could be another attack. I also think that if we pull the soldiers out that things in Iraq could go back to the way it was.

March 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  85. Hanna

In my opinion, the war is a waste of money. It started out as trying to help the people of Iraq, but now it's just way too much.

March 20, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  86. linda

the RICH President and all of the RICH members of congress realize that the war in iraq is WRONG and it wastes the lives of good men and women and both of the President's RICH daughters ought to join the military service and immediately be assigned to Iraq!

March 20, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  87. Cassie

I think we should bring the troops home because we are losing a lot of money between having to pay for the guns and food. There are alot of families in the U.S. that have lost their dads, mothers, friends, brothers and sisters that didn't deserve to die. Now those families have to live without their loved ones becaue they died in the war.

March 20, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  88. Tina

The war in Iraq is a very good topic! We are helping the Iraqi people. If we were to stop fighting, then communists may spread back into the country. Even though it is expensive, it is for a good cause.

March 20, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  89. Tonio

Sara above said, this war was necessary to keep the United States safe. I absolutely disagree with you on that, Sara, because I think there was no big danger targeted at America at all!
    America's position is here as it always was since the 1950s: a world police, which interferes in worldwide politics (e.g. Korea, Vietnam). I'm just glad enough, that this world police serves for the democracy and nothing else!

Sara, you think this war was for a good thing.
    I'd like to know, how you really can believe that!
    Start counting all our dead soldiers, innocent civilians who died and those who are marked for the rest of their lives, whether physical or mental and then think again!!

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany (quite angry right now)

March 20, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  90. Chris

I support our troops, but not the war. My father served in the Air Force for 20 years, and I have respect for the armed forces. But this war is just a waste of time and should be stopped.

March 20, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  91. brittany

having to choose whether soldiers should be pulled out of war, or kept there is really a tough decision. but,first of all, if soldiers werent there now, our country would probably still be under terrorism.right now, their protecting us from more terrorist attacks.yes, i do agree that many soldiers have died, but in fact, more kids are killed by cars yearly than all the soldiers put together over the past 5 years. as of the cost of war, it is minor compared to the lives it took away, the cost of the buildings, and the property of the 9/11 attack.if soldiers werent there now, that same thing could still be happening, costing the U.S billions of dollars.
    war isnt pretty or cheap, and it causes chaos, mass destruction, and costs the lives of many people...but as a soldier, it is your duty to serve, and protect your country.

March 20, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  92. Jason C

I think our troops should come home, because it is unessacary to be fighting for five years. We should just surrender the war to be in PEACE. It's just not humane.

March 20, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  93. Jade

I do not support the Iraq war. We are destroying families, wasting money, and wasting time. We should be using the money for war on more valuable things such as economics, poverty, and items to help solve cancer or something.

March 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  94. danielle s

I don't think we should be at war with Iraq, the United States have had 4 thousand soidlers die and are country is in debt. The United States have been in Iraq for a long time, i think we helped them enough to be a country on their own with out the help of us.

March 20, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  95. Karyn

I think that the War in Iraq is a lost cause. Even though the US is just trying to assist Iraq and remain allies, risking our people and draining our economy and resources is not the way to do it.

March 20, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  96. Mikaela

I do not like the Iraq war for a few reasons. One, I do not think that even though we might be close to winning it, it could go on for years and our troops will get tired and more and more people will be killed. Also, the money we are paying to win this war I think might be resulting in our economy money drop, Which is why we are getting checks of money in the mail to spend to prevent us from going into or having another depression. Hi, Mr.Sylvia!

March 20, 2008 at 6:02 pm |

I think the Iraq war started with good intentions, but over the last couple of years it has lost its momentum and is begining to become quite unnecessary. I think we have already lost sight of what we went in for, and now for the sake of our troops and our country we should get out before we get in way over our heads.

March 20, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  98. Sam

I personally think that war is one of the most terrible things on earth. We have lost over 4,000 troops in this war, that is too many lives to be wasting on a war. We have used billions of dollars in this war, it might be an effect on our econmy as well. I think that we've had more than enough time to work out our problems, 5 years, if thats not enough than who knows it could take 5 more. We should bring back the troops so we dont have any more damage done to our troops well being. The overall thaought is that the war in Iraq is unnesessary.

March 20, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  99. Yuriko

The war, in my opinion, is horrible. If the prices of things are going up, the money is getting worth less, it is no good for us. What's so great about people dying? NOTHING!! If I could get in contact with President Bush, I'll be sure to tell him to stop NOW!
    Anyway, I know some people who like the war. I would like to someday do "Pros & cons," and show them all the bad sides of the war!

March 20, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  100. Won

I saw that when everybody mentions of Iraq, they talk about "The Iraq war".

March 20, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  101. Amber

My opinion is that the war is a waste of money and that President Bush should send everyone home because MANY families have lost loved ones already and no one wants to lose more.

March 20, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  102. JT

me personally i think we should bring them out but for everysolution there is a problem! My Current Events teacher constantly plays the "Devils Advocate" and everytime we give our opinion he apposes it! I think it's pretty much what he gets payed for but it helps in the long run!

March 20, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  103. Nyssa

i think the war in iraq is both good and bad. first of all it is good because it shows that the u.s. is a strong country. it also shows that we will not take attacks on our country lightly. it is bad because it is kill so many of our people from the u.s and it is very expenisive. it is making the price of eveything go up and the country is going broke. that is what i think of the war in iraq.

March 20, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  104. Haley

I think that the war is good and bad. It is good because its keeping the country save, but its bad because its a waste of money and right now the economy really needs that money!

March 20, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  105. Alyssa

I think that it was a bad idea to get involved with Iraq in the first place, but now that we are there i think that we need to finish what we started and see this war through untill the end or else a lot of our efforts will be worthless.

March 20, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  106. alyssa

I think that the Iraq war should have not been started in the first place but now that we are in Iraq we should see this war through to finish what we have started because a lot of our efforts would have gone to waste if we pull the troops out now and a lot have lives have already been taken by this war so they should all count for something.

March 20, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  107. rebecca

I think that the war is bad. They do have a good reason to be fighting though. If they didn't fight then all of the terists come here and hurt us. They are making sure that they can not make airmeis to come into the U.S. I think the war has nothing to do with the economy.

March 20, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  108. Joe

I think that all wars are bad. PEACE MAN!!!!!

March 20, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  109. Blaine

My opinion is that Bush was right about sending us there. The problem is that every day we lose hundreds of soliders and those soldiers haven't always planned on being soldiers. If Bush doesn't do something soon we will have lost millons of soliders who may have not even wanted to join the war.

March 20, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  110. Eryn

ok. so my opinon is that the people here in america have had such an impact of the troops over in iraq for instance the loss of family and the thought of never seeing them again is so devistating to people here in america. my opinon would be that they come home but the problem might seek /go forward then like loose another billons of dollars so like i really am stuck between a rock and a river. but i have more feeling for the troops coming home.

March 20, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  111. Alexa

We need to get the troops out.

The war is hurting too many lives and causing too many problems on both sides.
    Plus, it could help the falling economy.

March 20, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  112. Briana

I think that the iraq war is bad because all of our troops are dieing because of the bad problems that we are having.
    I also think that it is giving us a big difference financhaly.

March 20, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  113. pat

i think we should stay in iraq because the oil that is over there and we need it, but i think we should come back because we have lost alot of lives and we spent over 500 billion dollars and i think that is worth way more than the oil and if we lose all of are men then we won’thave anymore army to defend our country if something happens and we need them they should be here not in iraq or dead.

March 20, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  114. Rekiah

well, to be completely honest, i think the war in iraq is a GOOD thing, cause the truth is, if president Bush hadn't sent all those troops down there, we all here in the U.S. of A would be, like, invaded by extreme terrorists! not fun. i hate it when people make fun of our president, he's only trying to help! its totally mean and unnecessary, politics are SOOOO complicated, and i think they only make it worse off then before by they're rude comments and remarks. I LOVE PRESIDENT BUSH! I'M NOT ASHAMED TO SAY IT!

March 21, 2008 at 1:37 am |
  115. Krystal

Wars are stuiped.We fight to kill to make peace but all we are doing is breaking up families.I have a teacher that didn't go to school because he was visiting his son befor he went back to Iraq.Every time a war comes,we fight.Why can't we just sign a peace treaty or make friends before a war comes up?

March 21, 2008 at 9:02 am |
  116. Mr. Conner's class

We support the War in Iraq. If the United States left Iraq, it would send a messge to the insurgents that they can do whatever they want. In other words, if America leaves now, it tells them that this cause is not worth fighting for.

March 21, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  117. devon

i think the u.s. should pull out of the Iraq soldiers because it is costing the economy too much money and we really dont have a real reason to be over there and need to fix our own problems before we start new problems

March 21, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  118. Mel

Before the United States went into Iraq the late Pope John Paul 11 told President Bush that we should not go into Iraq because it was an injust war. All Pope's are infallible and guided by Jesus and the Holy Ghost when it comes to Faith and Morals. The USA sends troops over there and into all these foreign countries and our boys die while our country is trying be be saviors of the world while our own borders are unpatrolled so that terrorists can infiltrate our nation while we are complacent.

March 21, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  119. austin

i belive the war was a bad idea because altho we may have caught major terrorist leaders and helped a country gain some freedom we lost thousands of americans and billions of dollars and now back here in america we have to pay much more for alot of things like oil flower and aloy of everyday things wich is over all effectingamericas economy

March 21, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  120. Fletch

The war in Iraq may not have all of the results some people are looking for, but saying that no progress has been made is a lie and it also disrespects the soldiers who have died for not only our freedom but the freedom of the Iraqi people. To pull out now would just make those deaths in vain and we'd have to start over from the beginning. The war should be finished and the troops should not be totally withdrawn until we've seen the end of the problem.

March 21, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  121. Ryan

I believe that the war in Iraq is a bad decision. We are not getting anything out of this war, we have already lost many troops in Iraq yet we keep sending more and more. We are also sending a lot of money into Iraq when our economy is not doing very well. I believe we should pull out of Iraq.

March 21, 2008 at 12:10 pm |
  122. that kid

I've had two of my cousins serve in the war and they were both lucky enough not to get injured or killed. I think it is time that we came though because we can't act as the world police forever. It isn't going to help anything.

March 21, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  123. Mary

I am not a fan of the war. I don't think that it has made anything better really. I think that it has caused a lot a hardship and that many innocent people have suffered because of it. I also don't trust the administration's reasoning for the war.

March 21, 2008 at 12:12 pm |
  124. Seth

I can see why people are starting to think the war in Iraq has lost it's purpose. The public dont really see any big accomplisments coming from our involvement and they also think the war is jus doing bad things for the economy.

March 21, 2008 at 12:13 pm |
  125. Connie

THis war is taking alot of money! I know some families are devastated over their losses in the war. However, i do think that we should keep having some kind of military action over there to keep in check with the country.

March 21, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  126. neal

I think that it is the people’s right to protest but over something like this is dumb. Does no one remember September 11 or anything. Now that we are there we cant just leave, we have to finish the job. And anyone who things other wise is a stupid liberal. Goodbye and I love you.

March 21, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  127. Lindsey

Although the war has had very unfortunate and devastating losses, I don’t think that it’s time to pull out just yet. The United States cannot leave a war that they declared. If the US was to retreat, I think that they would be even more political chaos and turmoil in Iraq. We are needed to clean up the mess that we created. I fully appreciate the soldiers fighting for America, and try to never take living in this free country for granted.

March 21, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  128. Chris

I believe that we need to take the same strategy to this war as the Georgia Bulldogs take on football; we need to finish the drill. If we decide to back out now it’s almost like we are just throwing out 5 years of your countries hard work and hard earned money. Keep the WILLING soldiers in until the job is done.

March 21, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  129. Jacob

The Iraq was is ridiculous and to the point not the reason we went over to the Middle East. We staged a war on terror once the United States we're attacked on September 11. Then, we went into Afghanistan because we were searching for Osama Bin Laden, however, we still have not found him and in not finding him, we as a country had to make ourselves look good. So we said there were WMD's in Iraq, which by the way were never found, and that was our reasoning for going in and virtually taking over their country. And look where it has gotten us, no where. The United States needs to quit feeling as though they are the world police; for we do not have an unlimited supply of armed forces, and with them stretched across the globe, it will weaken us as a whole. Much to the same effect that Germeny faught a three front war during world war 2 and they were defeated quite easily.

March 21, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  130. Jessica

I think we shouldn’t have started a war with another country, trying to fix their problems, when we have problems within our own country. I think our government should focus on our country, and then lend aid to other places. I think we were so caught up with terrorism, that we rushed into it. We also should have planned out what we were going to do before we just sent people over there.

March 21, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  131. Aaron

Though we may have gone about it in the wrong way, I support what the United States is doing for Iraq. It has made Iraq a much better place to live. Yes it is causing military lives and money, but the brave soldiers we currently have serving over there are all volunteers (we have no draft) and what better cause is there to put money towards than making the world a safer (and for some people a more enjoyable) place to inhabit. The United States is a “city upon a hill” standing for freedom, equality, and justice. Though we have not always maintained this image, it does not mean we can’t try to do so now.

March 21, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  132. Natalie

The fact that we ever went over to Iraq was not the smartest move ever. And I think we should leave, because all our money is going into this war and most of us don't agree with it. And it is not like we are going to get a refund. But before we leave we should wait until Iraq has a stable presidant. And then we can safly send all our troops home.

March 21, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  133. Celia

I think the war is protecting us from danger but I also think that it is not the best idea because millions of famliy members get killed or badly injurd from this war. So thats what my oppion on the war is.

March 21, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  134. thatcavalierfan93***

oh my gosh, the war in iraq is a good thing, i mean, yeah, Rekiah, i totally agree, if the troops weren't down there, we'de be invaded by extreme terrorists! LOL! i don't think that would be cool. it really irks me that people are always critiscizing him and making his ideas seem horrible when they aren't! GO PRESIDENT BUSH! love you!

March 21, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  135. Ross

I feel that we should stay in Iraq until we win this war. If we pull out of Iraq, terrorism around the world will continue to thrive and attack countries such as ours. Also, if we leave Iraq, we will look like a weak country for doing so without accomplishing what we set out to do. I support my TROOPS!

March 21, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  136. Jamee

I think that we are doing the right thing by having some troops in Iraq because they don't have a strong goverment and they are going through some hard times but we should slowly take troops out.

March 21, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  137. pat

I think the entire war was just a big lie. President Bush made a total lie so we could invade Iraq. Then when we got ther we pretty much just exucted their leader and occupied the country. Since then it has cost us nearly 4000 soldiers lives , and unmeasurable sorrow at home. Since we have been there the president Bush comes up with a new lie every day so we may stay there longer. So I think the Iraq war is one of the worst occurrences in U.S history. Its a completely unnecessary war based completely on lies that has cost us and especially the Iraqis lots of suffering. The war also makes Bush the worst and most deceptive president in U.S history.

March 21, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  138. Obaid

I have never, and will never, support the Iraq War. We ran in there to stop WMD and never found any. I know there are more reasons why we went to Iraq, but I want to look at the Iraqi Civil War. One of the reasons why we invaded Iraq and are staying in Iraq is to stop a potential civil war between the Sunni, Shiite. and Kurds. This is actually an outrage in my eyes. When we had a civil war, between the Confederate states of America, and the Union, did we have another country intervene? No.
    We are actually just trying to prevent another Vietnam. When we pulled out of Vietnam, North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam. So Bush is just trying to be the best president ever by Preventing something from history that actually help a country.
    If we pull out of Iraq, we will help make the Middle East more peaceful. The right minded, non-extremist, Politicians will be heads of government, and will become Allies of the USA.

This is why the 2008 Elections will be Historic, the years 2000–2012 Will have its own Unit in the History books!

Citizens of Voting age reading this...I have just one thing to Tell You:

VOTE '08!

March 21, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  139. Rachel

I think that the war in iraq is very upsetting. people's families are sad because they have left overseas. I think that it is sad and has gone on for too long.

March 21, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  140. Kayla

I don't like the idea of Bush's that he wants to send in more troops. We did what we needed to do, so lets get out. My dad was killed in Iraq from a roadside bomb in February. He only got to see 11 of my birthdays. So, this is why Bush should take out the troops as soon as possible.

March 21, 2008 at 7:25 pm |

The war in Iraq Has wasted over 500 billion dollars. Adding that to the nearly one trillion dollars a year the Government uses for useless projects, and storing waste, and failed projects.
    We should worry more about our oil sources that are drying up, and finding more efficient energy sources. Our economy has had a wooden stake put through its heart.
    The Iraq war is hurting more than helping.

March 21, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  142. :O

I think the Iraq War is more complicated than I thought !

March 21, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  143. Paige

The war in Iraq has been going on for a while and i think it is time for the troops to come home. But at the same time i dont think that it would be a good desicion because then terrorists may try to invade our country again and then we would be in the same position all over again. my cousin serves in the army and has been in iraq for quite a while and i want him to come home but i want the U.S. troops to stay there ad fight for our freedom and the safety of our country.

March 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  144. Kayla

I think that what we're doing in Iraq is the right thing to do. If we pulled our troops out now then the terrorist might take over again and possible repeat what happened on 9/11.

March 22, 2008 at 10:07 am |
  145. Miranda

What i think of the war is that there is no point to the war except for our own economy. That is what i think of the war.

March 22, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  146. Clement

I think that the U.S. and other allies should continue the war in Iraq, my personal opinion is very rare were I live (France), we (French) have a very negative POV of Americans. From what I see broad casted by CNN, Iraqis are very happy now that the U.S. forces helped "clean up" Baghdad, less violence. In other words, I really support this war, but what I really don't understand is that the U.S. forces are alone, if it had a couple more countries helping (not the current forces) out it would hurry up things.

March 22, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  147. Mrs.Mayer's 7th Grade Social Studies Class

Hello, Our social Studies class took a survey about the war in Iraq.
    The total was that 7-39% voted that they support the war,
    5-28% say that they have mixed views about the war,
    and 6-33% voted that they do not support the war.
    We then asked everyone why they do or do not support the war and this is what some people said;

Ally-Strongly opposes. She said that we should of never went into Iraq. We then asked her why she thought that we should of never went into Iraq and she did not want to comment on that.

Renee and Elisha said they don't support the war, but they do support the troops.

Along with them there was Colton, Matthew O., and Cathy who don't support the war.

Matthew B-Mixed- He said that as long as people sign up to be a soldier, then we should stay until peace.

Rachael was mixed and said that she doesn't like the fact that we are wasting money and soldiers are dying, but she doesn't think that we should jut pull out.

Thomas was mixed and said that he likes how we are in there and telling Terrorist that they can't mess with us, but that people are dying and that we should pull out.

Along with them there was Isaac and Max who had mix views.

Adam said that he supports the war because we can't just leave them to suffer. He also said "How would you like it if no country was helping you out and you needed help?"

Eli supports the war and said that if we pull out now, then people will look at us as being weak and we won't have as many of those countries that would want to support us.

Emily supports as well and said that if we go out then they might attack us again.

Jena supports and said that we are there and making a difference and helping people, but doesn't like how people are being killed, though we know that it's going to happen.

Joseph supports the war and said that if we leave then we could get attacked and that many people don't know why we have gone to war with them. He said that people need to know that we aren't at war with the civilians of Iraq, but we are at war with the Terrorist in Iraq. We went to war because of the twin towers, and even though so of us kids can barely remember that, but that that is why we went to war. He also said that he likes how we are there and if we leave now, then we have a chance to get attacked. He said that we have been helping the Iraq army and that if we leave now then that all the money we put into the war will just go to Terrorist and that then we could get attacked making more people die, and right now we have been having the upper hand and are wining for killings on both soldiers and their civilians are done, meaning that we are getting Terrorist to stop.

Along with those above, Ryan and Nathan support the war.

This is what the 7th grade social studies class had to say. As you can see, we are a very divided class, but by the looks of things, we have the most that say that being in Iraq is good and that we should stay in Iraq.

March 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  148. Joseph from Mrs.Mayer's Class

Many people have there opinions on the Iraq war. Tonio has stated that the war ended along time ago and asked why we are there still? Even Ashely thinks that the soldiers should come home, but what about all the troops over in other countries besides Iraq? If we leave Iraq, should we leave all the other countries that we are in? The troops in South Korea, should they come home, making North Korea attack them and then South Korea has to become a part of North Korea and they don't want to. If we leave Iraq, then the Talaban and Al-Qaeda and other terrorist will take control and attack us again, so it would be better if we stay. In this and recent years, the war death toll has been going down, meaning we are making a difference. I think that we should stay there and bring peace to the land. The United States took around 200 years to be a good republic, so that also the Iraq people need to know that it will not happen over night and that it takes a while for a republic to work, once they learn that and Americans accept that we are in Iraq, then we may be able to completely help out Iraq.

March 22, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

I think that the Iraq War is stupid and we should just get our soilders out. We are just killing are soldiers and the people in iraq. If we never went over there then many more people would be alive and so many people wouldnt be morning the deaths of there family members so i think we should take the troups out so no more people die. And there is no more pain.

March 22, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  150. Camille

I always tell my honest opinion, no matter what the subject. So here I go! I think that the war is a very idiotic way to settle things. There is no need to do all the violence! I thought that America was supposed to try to be a very peaceful country. And I know most people would just say thats what theyre doing! but I say all they are doing is bringing violence among us! Still don't get what I'm saying? Well put it this way. If somebody you dont know has an issue or problem with something and you try to help them, and they reject you. Don't try anymore because common sense will tell you they dont want your help! I mean come on! This is not rocket sciance! You should be able to see that theyre getting irretated! So if they start to get fiesty or mean or violent about it. Just STOP! Imean i am not a mean person, i love to help people but im not stupid either! Cant you see the reactions of the person/people you are trying to help!

March 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  151. Camille

Oh it's me again! And I just had to point out Jessica's statement! Good job! You have a very good point!

March 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  152. Jack

I think that oil isn't worth killing people for. We should pull out most of the troops, but not all of them. If we pull out all of them, then we will be reversing all forward progress we've made. Also, I dont think presidential candidates should make promises of peace with countrys like Iraq because all countrys aren't going to want to make peace witht the USA.

Jack

March 23, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  153. Jessica U.

I support iraq.they give us the right to have freedom.i dont like how much people are dieing though.

March 23, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  154. Tonio

Thanks Joseph for finally kind of answering me.

It's good to learn another opinion, because yours is really worth thinking about. What could happen if the troops leave the Iraq? We can't answer that satisfactorily. Why? Because there are simply enough ways how that country can go on in future history, if good or bad.

I guess the troops should only be there to save the peace, but right now, nothing there looks like any kind of peace at all...

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

March 23, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  155. Timothy S

I think we should get our troops out of Iraq because i think we proved our point and its been five years and almost 4,000 casualities.

March 23, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  156. Ashley b.

i think the troops should come home from iraq because i think it is hurting our econemy and how we live every day.Also families are constantly losing loved ones everyday and it needs to stop before it gets out of hand.I do not think we should have just left iraq alone and when we have a new president i hope that it is one who wants the troops out of iraq and safe.

March 23, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  157. catelyn

okay i have mixed opinions on the war. my dads in iraq right now as we speak and its really tuff. i wish the war didnt start so my dad would be home but at the same time im glad my dad and the rest of the army is fighting. because there fighting for us.

March 23, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  158. Sean

How is this war different from the Vietnam war? This war is taking forever to end and we are fighting a hidden enemy. They blow up our soldiers with car bombs and torment our soldiers while attacking the people of their own cities. I believe we are fighting a very difficult enemy which are cowards because they send the kids of their own country to strap bombs on themselves and blow up people and start shooting at our soldiers and this is sad. I think that the war was probably a good thing because of all the trouble Saddam Hussein did and its a good thing but i dont think that it should take this long to end. we also helped saddam get to power like Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam who we helped and later was fighting. My brother was sent over to Iraq for a time and he was changed somehow. He must of saw things or heard a lot of stories because he doesnt seem like he use to be.

Sean From Omaha, NE

March 24, 2008 at 9:10 am |
  159. Caleb

For those who continue to say that we need to have peace, I agree. But peace can't come by pulling out. We've been in Iraq for a length of time that it's reached the point that we HAVE to stay in to get peace.

"Si vis pacem, parabellum." In English, it states "If you want peace, prepare for war." War comes in many forms. Fighting, diplomacy, etc. People may die, but if the greater goal is achieved, then I think it's worth it.

"The means by which an end must be met." I agree with the end: taking out the terrorists that threaten and attack us. But the means are not completely justified. War must happen, but it doesn't always have to be physical. If it must be actual fighting, then so be it. If we're intimidating them to stop them from attacking us again, then so be it. That's the kind of war we're fighting now, as well as a war to re-instate a government in Iraq, a republic. People have been mixing up a democracy and a republic. The US is a republic, because we elect representatives that reflect the majority of our views. Indirect involvement. A democracy is direct involvement. Like Greece was back in the day, before the Roman Republic. Anyway, back to what I was saying. We're fighting in Iraq to show the extremists that we won't put up with them attacking us. We WILL attack back. For those of you that disagree with the war: If you were attacked by someone and they hurt you horribly, wouldn't you attack back with words or physical action? That's called self-defense. That's what the US is doing. We acted on self-defense against Sadaam Hussein. We thought he was helping those who attacked us, and he did directly attack us. We're acting in self-defense.

-Caleb from Austin, Texas (10th grade)

March 24, 2008 at 10:13 am |
  160. Kathy

The PBS newsprogram Frontline is doing a show about the war in Iraq called "Bush's War." Maybe you should do an article about the slant the newsmedia has taken in writing about this war. It seems the soldiers who have been there always have a different perspective on the progress being made than does the news media.

March 24, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  161. angela

i think if we were to leave now it would do more harm then if we stayed

March 24, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  162. Luke

I believe we need to pull our troops out of Iraq. We are not getting anywhere in our efforts to help Iraq. We have been in Iraq way to long. We are not being fair to our troops. We know we are not getting anywhere and we are making inocent men and women die each day. It is not fair to them or to their familys. So i think we should pull out of Iraq this instent. We arent making any forward progress. We may get some people in Iraq to cooperate with us but there will always be many who do not and keep pushing us backwards in our fight to help Iraq.

March 24, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  163. Rob

You know what, it doesn't matter what we do now. The whole world hates the U.S.A. for what we've done so it wouldn't matter if we attacked Canada right now. Backing the Shah in Iran, supporting Israel all these years, going to war in Iraq. All wrong, and nations of the world are laughing at us. We can turn it around if we withdraw ALL of our troops, and rethink the way we use foreign policy today.

March 24, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  164. Stephanie

We went into Iraq so we could put a stop to Terrorism, right? If you look at the world as one big Schoolyard, you can see that Terrorists are just Bullies. Every parent will tell their child to ignore bullies, so we should do the same thing. They're blowing stuff up for the attention, so that we will keep an eye on them 24/7, that's what they want us to do. If we stop giving them the attention, they'll stop blowing stuff up. It won't be instant, of course, it'll take a few years at least. But the method has been proven many times over; Ignore the Bully, and they'll go away. That is not to say that we should ignore the Victims, just ignore the Attackers.

I don't really like the fact that we're over there, but the Troops have my full respect and admiration. I salute every one of you.

-Stephanie from Wayland, Michigan (11th Grade)

March 25, 2008 at 8:24 am |
  165. S

Slow and steady loses the war. Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. A jihad is currently in progress and the United States is the target. The less attention you pay to war, the more ignorant people get killed on the front. If we withdraw our troups, then the terrorists will move the objective closer to home. Could it get any more clear?

March 25, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  166. Rico

im really in between. we are spending to much money on oil. but if we didnt catch sadam husame then think what would happen in the future. He could have took over the whole world. But we are spending way to much money for oil. That was our main resoure of oil. now it cost a fourtune just to get ONE barrel of gas. Think how far you can go with only one barrel of gas? Only last you for like 2 weeks! 3 toppz! peace love happiens

March 25, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  167. Rico

I salute to all soldiers fighting for no exact reason! R.I.P. all the dead soldiers that have gone to a better place now.

-Rico from Georgia

March 25, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  168. Ben

People may not like the Iraq war, but that's where we are. We should be using our resources to help this struggling country build up its own security force.

March 26, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  169. Joey

I really think the Iraq war is unnessicary. It is now come to a point when we need to let the Iraqi's work it out for themselves. Also, some Iraqi's don't even want us there. I agree with them. We've done our part. America doesn't always have to be the big brother country to all the other countries. Also, this isn't even a war. To make it a war, a bill has to be signed. And no bill has been signed yet. Bush, if you read this, PULL US OUT!!!

March 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  170. justme

i was'nt for invading iraq, having a son that served over there. but now that we have....we better finish what our president has started. if not our kid's and grandkid's will have to deal with it.

March 26, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  171. John

PS Specifically talking bout the way Lou Dobbs talked about President Bush today. I don't agree in all issues with President Bush, but he is still the DULY ELECTED leader of our country. Give him a break. I really doubt anyone else in the entire CNN Center could have done a better job. If you could have, then get off your tail and do it. Till then, offer constructive criticism, and lay off the name calling childish mess.

March 26, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  172. Al

The Iraq War is not what the democratic party thinks it is. It is a war that the US needs to be a part of. If the troops are pulled out by the hopeful presidential candidates B. Obama and H. Clinton all of the soldiers in Iraq would have died in vain. Go John McCain!!!

March 26, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  173. John

To show you that I did read all of the above, to the woman, (Stephanie), who said to ignore the bullies? I am glad that you at least have enough regard towards our troops to still support them, because it is they who are fighting for your protection whether you believe it or not. But as far as bullies go. Kick em in the groin till they double over then rabbit punch them with a frying pan. A bully doesnt grow up, they gain political influence. Hence the very people who were bombing civies in the IRA are now the political leaders, that is allowing the British nation to fall now by preaching to snuggle up to the rest of the terrorist groups. A bully only knows 2 things. He can beat you cause you let him, and when you don't he fights out of fear for losing face to his friends.
    The president of Iran, is the same man that took over 50 hostages in the late 70's and held them until Reagan took office. He didn't let them go because Carter blew him sunshine, he let them go because he knew Reagan would push the button.
    PERIOD. Now he knows we wont, cause we don't have the WILL TO WIN as a nation. So Europe, specifically Germany, is going to do it for us. You are seeing the biggest double cross in mankinds History being set up, and have no idea whats going on. Sry, but the truth hurts, cause we are so vain as a nation that we have to blame others. I would vote for a presidential candidate that had the courage to tell me as a US citizen to hit my knees and pray and fast, and turn to God rather than any of the candidates we have today.
    Abraham Lincoln, did that very thing. He called for a nationwide day of Fasting and Prayer in order to preserve the union of the United States of America. There isn't anyone that has that kind of guts today. Oh no, we don't want to offend anyone. Please.

March 26, 2008 at 7:37 pm |

I do not like the Iraq war, because now 4,000 lifes have been taken. Also we could only target Al Qida( I hope thats how you spell it!!) only!!

March 26, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  175. Matthew

Is this a war or a war of manipulation? My personal idea is that we won that war, if not who's the big shot that has us running American tanks and troops through his jurisdiction? This has been domination techniques to the fullest and America has used not police force to fight off a mob (not a force) of people who are being prompted to spread viloence while countries are thriving off their torn democracy, although an Islamic one. Would we accept this practice in America? I think not and the success of this invasion, then domination, and now manipulation has been so great that American consumer spending has not gone beyond what we owe from mismanagement and foreign dealing that has gone on in this Middle Eastern sect. My bottom line, are there lesser humans or can we give liberty and democracy to humanity in this region or be the reason for it.

March 26, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  176. Houston

Well Carl,
    I think that the war is a good thing as well as a bad thing. The bad part of the war is that american troops are out on the front line dying for a country that has threatened us. The good part is that we aare establishing some form of government. I niether for the war nor agaisnst it. I just hope that whatever congress and The President are hoping to do in Iraq is completed some time soon.

March 26, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  177. Rebecca

I think we should stay in Iraq, because think about Rowanda! We left and millions of people were killed. I support our troops, my cousins are in the NAVY and I support both groups equally.

March 26, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  178. Meeka

I think all war is wrong because there is unneeded deaths and pain of the troops and their families. Bush has no right messing with forign affairs when he is not asked for help. Things would be better if we had not invaded Iraq in the first place.

March 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  179. Colton:D

Hey there!
    Today my class took a survey and we asked them for
    their opinon on the the Iraq War, and here's the results

19- believe the war is GOOD
    7- believe the war is BADDD

I myself was one of the many that oppossed the war. I believe thatt George W. Bush should take the troops out of the Middle East, It would greatly improve our economy & help save many manyyyy lives

March 27, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  180. Lindsay

Most people say the war is bad right? In some points it is. Like where the government ups taxes to help pay for the army. Or the death, and how new born children, and some children 1-6, won't remember much of their parents that are in the war, if they die. But look at it this way. It's impossible to have complete peace. No matter how hard you try, there will be some sort of fight, disagreement, or whatever. During the last summer me and two of my friends had a long discussion about the war and peace. Our fathers are all in the army, and we have to worry constantly if something is going to happen. In February our school had a bomb threat. It was an accident, but it doesn't surprise me because if they wanted to start bombing over here, my school would probably be the first they target because not only is where I live the biggest army base, but the school I go to is right next to our hospital. So if they bombed our school, they could kill the students ((who could end up going into the army)), and if we weren't killed, just injured, we wouldn't be able to be treated quickly because they could possibly knock out our hospital and everyone in it. The closest hospital besides that one, is and hour and thirty minutes away.
    I see why some people oppose the war, but I hate it when people say "World Peace," or "Peace And Love." No offense but it's stupid. There can't be world peace. I support the war 150%. Why? Because we're fighting for our rights, we're fighting for freedom, and the soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan are fighting for everyone in this country. They are fighting for EVERYONE'S safety. And you people opposing the war are basically saying you don't want them to fight for you, because you could stand up for yourself. Well you try and be as brave as they are and you go fight in that war. It takes courage, strength, and knowledge to do what they do.
    We hear mostly about the war in Iraq and hardly anything about the war in Afghanistan. There is one there too. My father was deployed, and I know what happens, not from directly being there, but from what I've been told.
    Basically what I'm saying is: Don't oppose the war, unless you're willing to go and fight in it yourself. You have no idea how hard it is to be an army child, always worrying about your family and friends that are fighting.

March 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  181. Jkson

i think that we should be over seas because we need to be helping the ones in danger that are over on the other side of the world. but I think that we should be protecting our troops more though it shocked me though when I herd that our 4000 troop died last weekend

March 28, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  182. Wyatt & Daleio

We think that BUsh sucks and the Iraq war should have never been started

March 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  183. Erin In Mr. Neilson's Class

The war in Iraq (there is no eupherism that fits here) is really stupid. I say if we weren't all hot-headed fools saying "America is the best country, so it doesn't matter if we go to war", this war wouldn't be happening! My teacher says if it was up to President Bush, we would be at war every day. Which we practically are! We should be spending money on education, poverty, natural disasters,diseases, and paying back China! We wouldn't have to pay China if we didn't start the war. Think of all the little kids who ask their mothers, "Where's Daddy?" and the mothers don't want to say they died! What if your dad, or uncle, or ANYONE you cared about were one of 4,000 troops? No, we aren't fighting for our rights! We would have BETTER rights if there was no war in the first place. There can't be world peace, but it would be nice if is was darn near close! Sure, we got Saddam Hussein, but why didn't we drop it then? I say NO MORE WAR and NO MORE BUSH! People are sick of missing their families and sick of having their families DYING! This is Bush's fault 499%!!!!! I made up a poem that doesn't even rhyme:

No more war!
    No more Bush!
    Nore more Iraq's
    Lethal nuclear weapons!

Why? Why do we have the war? I despise Bush's decision. This is the most unreasonable war IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICA!

March 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  184. Makenzee

My opinion of the Iraq War is half and half. It is Half and half because if we bring them home they might just bomb us again. So I belive we should still fight for our freedom. The other half of me wants to bring them home because I have a very close family friend over there who is serving and I would like for all of our troops to get back safely. Sadly If I had to pick one or the other I would say keep fighting, The only bad thing is that hundreds die everyday fighting for freedom and us the U.S citizens can't do anything to come home safely.

March 28, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  185. Rob

It is time to get out, now! As Will Smith would say, "Gotta Go Gotta go go now!" Cut and run, slash and trash. It's over, there's nothing left we can do. Send our boys home, Lord, send'em home!

March 29, 2008 at 3:15 am |
  186. Rachel

Why are we in Iraq? We are trying to take over their country for no reason. Don't we have enough to worry about ourselves?

March 29, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  187. Meg

My dad is in the Air Force. I couldn't stand having him be deployed to a country that is dangerous everywhere. I feel horrible for all the families that have to go through that. You're not alone! I wish that President Bush would just pull the troops out, already!

March 31, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  188. Joseph

I have to agree with Mr. Conner's class...What kind of message would that send? Now many of us, as when I helped do a survey for my class, said that we didn't like how troops were dieing, but to win freedom for them we need to also know that we may lose some troops. On the whole money and debt thing, wars cost money! It's just a fact. On our economy, we have gone through recessions before and we will make it out of this one, the Iraq war, I think, has little effect on what we do here in the U.S. and also the economy is not down because of Mr.Bush, but the last President, Mr.Clinton, also had to deal with this same economy.
    I agree with Sara above...What would happen to our country without our troops protecting us? The people who sign up to be soldiers know what they are getting into, so I don't like to hear it when people say that soldiers are getting killed for no reason, for the soldiers think we have a reason for being over there and so do I.
    You may not agree with me on everything, but the truth is, if we leave now, then we could be in trouble. We are winning against the terrorist and we should keep fighting against them. It may of been good to leave when we had caught that terrible dictator, but we are there still, and should fight to keep the terrorist out!
    We are doing good on the keeping terrorist down, but I think that the Iraq people need to get more involved and that earlier this week was their first time for waking up and realizing that they can be in charge, and the need to know that democracy takes more then a few weeks, even more then a few months to do, but it takes a few hundred years, looks at us, it took us awhile to become strong. I think if the Iraq people model their ideas off us and then slowing try to work for equal religion rights(for both Muslim groups) then maybe we can start taking troops home, for I know what it means to have troops leave, they did in my area, the most that have left my area since World War II.
    Keep in mind, and pray for, the soldiers.

Joseph from Mrs.Mayer's class

March 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  189. Joseph

I agree with Lindsay as for no one or few people know about what's going on in Afghanistan...Why? Because we are winning so badly over there, that the media just wants us to get our troops out and not look at the benefits! First off, the U.S. and our allies kicked the Tebals(Muslim extremist) out of Afghanistan and they already know that a democracy takes awhile to have and they have been pretty successful over there. But I do wish we knew more about Afghanistan, for what we are doing right over there, then we should transfer it over to Iraq and see if there government gets better that way.
    Joseph from Mr.Mayer's Class

March 31, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  190. Rudolph

Despite the carnage, despite the lives lost, despite any unity in Iraq, despite the billions spent, despite the refugges, despite the murders, despite all the above our country the (United States) is no closer to leaving Iraq. This is one of the saddest chapters in the historical events in this country. Historians and scholars will look back at this calamity and only shake their heads. When they try to explain how the Bush administration had tthe temerity to enter a war that academics warned them would not be wise. The President forever will be tarnished by this bungled seige.

April 1, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  191. Bradi

I disapprove of the war in Iraq, due to financial reasons, and priorities. Every year, millions upon millions of dollars go towards the US troops. Even when we are not at war, it is going towards training and research. The problem is that most Americans are not sure what we're fighting for. The same Americans know that Africa is having problems with AIDS, and poverty is everywhere. Every dollar that is going towards an unsupported war, a war with an unpredictable ending, could be going to help people people in developing countries, where we know it will do some good, and save some lifes.

April 6, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  192. colton

Joseph, i am sorry to tell you but i STRONGLY disagree with you. First of you stated that we are winning so badly over there , and i'm sorry to tell you but we're not. If we were winning so badly then they would've surrendered by now. And why would we leave Afganistan? Just so that they can go crazy and all of our soldiers har hard work go to bits and pieces? please comment back JOESPH 😀

April 6, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  193. Katie

Sorry Joseph but i would have to agree with Colton. Why would we leave Afganistan? We are going to stay there until we know they are going to be O.K. without us!!!!

April 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  194. Gil

The war in Iraq is nothing less than illegal, unconstitutional, a black mark on the history of America, and a military blunder of nothing less but epic proportions. I'll explain below:

1.) We have no clear and substantiated purpose for fighting in the first place. When the war started, we were fighting to get rid of Saddam Hussein and free the Iraqi people. After the Iraqi army was defeated, three weeks after the war was started, president Bush romantically declared "mission accomplished", landing a plane on an aircraft carrier, a gigantic banner reading "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" behind him. Then we were fighting the Bathists, the remnants of Hussein's government. Then we were fighting Iraqi army holdouts. Then we were fighting terrorosts. Then we were fighting insurgents. Now we're fighting terrorists and insurgents and Iranian spies and Darth Vader and a giant army of orcs and maybe even a Soviet spy or two. Gimme a break. The fact is the Bush administration has no idea who we are fighting, and could care less.
    2.) We have no real idea why Americans are fighting and dieing over there in the first place. First we were getting rid of an evil dictator. Then we were getting rid of a dictator who had all sorts of weapons of mass destruction, which by the way we never found. Then we were fighting to stabilize Iraq, which has been the standard Bush line for over four years now, even thought, ironically enough, Iraq was by far more stable before the war even began then it is now.
    3.) We have lost 4,000 Americans since the war began. And since we haven't been able to figure out who we're fighting or what we're fighting for, there are at the very least hundreds of families out there who feel angry, frustrated, and disillusioned because our own government can't even explain to them what their precious children died for. There is only one word to describe that-sickening. Purely sickening.
    4.) We are spending more money on this war than we can even keep track of. In fact, we're spending more money on the killing of people we don't even know and have never even heard of than we are on programs for our own citizens, like medicare and medicaid and veterans' benefits. Which brings me to point number 5.
    5.) Despite the Bush administration yelling at the top of his lungs to support the troops, and deliberately procaliming that anyone who disagrees with the war is not supporting the troops (which is an insult to millions of Americans, and angers me to very core). The sickening and stomach turning hypocracy of this policy is almost too much to bare. We have seen stories on the news about the treatment of soldiers at places like Walter Reed medical center, about how the Congress can't even compromise on a bill that would give our soldiers better and higher quality body armor and equipment, about how John McCain, a man who's running for president, a man who makes daily stump speeches about how he supports benefits for veterans and how our soldiers need t be treated properly, voted AGAINST virtually every bill that would have done anything to help those veterans, essentially leaving them helpless, and finally, and most disgustingly of all, how the Bush administration and its puppet congress won't even grant health insurance to the very rescue workers who risked their lives saving people on 9/11, which, by the way, wouldn't have happened if Bush had bothered to read the report that was desperately laid on his desk days before the attack outlining the danger of terrorists, specifying that an attack on New York City was infinite,and what should be done to enhance security before it was too late.

There is no way in heaven, hell, earth that the Iraq war can be justified. It is nothing more than a sad and pathetic example of what happens when a completely incompetent ape is elected president.

April 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |

I'm oppose to Iraq War,. From the history, we can find out that Americans want to be the policeman of the world. They intervene every conflict, but never forget their own interest. So every conflict turn out to be more complicated and endless. For example, vitnam,Korea,and Afghanistan. My opinion is : Americans, if you want to be the policeman of the world, please forget the interest. If not, please keep neutral. Your life is too comfortable to realize the reality of the world.

April 9, 2008 at 3:55 am |

i agree with Gil and Colton!

April 9, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  197. Mallory

Hi. I know this post is kind of old but I didn't get a chance to write earlier. I believe that we should stay in Iraq. In 1993 we were attacked by Iraq and the former president, Bill Clinton, did nothing about it. He just let it slide. Then, Iraq made the mistake of thinking we would not fight back when President Bush came into office. Now that we are fighting the war we have been free of attacks. If we back down now like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama wants us to they will once again think we are weak and attack us again.

May 29, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  198. John

we should went in hard every thing but rember when we frist entered we had all the causltes BUT DO PEAOPLE FORGET THE DEMOCRATS WHANTED THE TROOPS COUNT SO LOW

March 20, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  199. tyler

my opinion on the war in iraq is set. we need to be there. we are helping those people and they want us there. it is a bad thing when we as american citizens cannot acept that.

May 15, 2009 at 2:53 pm |