March 18th, 2008

The Right to Drive

In a country with a female secretary of state and a female presidential candidate, it's almost impossible to imagine women not having the right to drive.  But that's exactly what you see in Wednesday's show, when we take you to Saudi Arabia.  Now step away from the world you know for a moment, and imagine a city with no female bus drivers and no way for mom to drive you out to dinner (or anywhere, for that matter).  What would life be like if women couldn't drive?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Alice

Is there a good reason why they don't let women drive? I just can't figure it out.

March 19, 2008 at 7:43 am |
  2. J-dog

If the men in the Saudi Nation, dont want women to drive then more power to em. If the women in our nation didnt drive then we would have far less polution.

March 19, 2008 at 8:51 am |
  3. Perry

I think it's a harder on a mom if they can't drive. The racial pressure is probably very hard for the average mom in Saudi Arabia. I think that man or woman should be able to drive, as long as they have a hard earned license.

March 19, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  4. Mr. Kennedy's Class

Women in should have the right to drive. Women are people just like everybody else. If women can not drive, the kids would have to walk to school or the men would have to drive them. Religious rules should not affect women driving. Women should have more rights to do what they want to do.

March 19, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  5. taylor

I think that it is more of a political stand point.It has been like that for so long the men in their government don't see it right to change an older lifestyle that has been working for so long.

March 19, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  6. Kendall

I think that the men in Saudi Arabia like to feel important and better than women, so they wont let them drive. Just so they can do somthing woman cant.

March 19, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  7. Mrs. King's Global Studies Class, Tarpon Springs High School

Apparently, not all people are created equal- it is sad that women are held back from having equal rights in other countries- this is something unthinkable to americans. We, Mrs. King's class- forsee a women's revolution coming soon in many middle eastern countries. As women become more educated and continue to speak up and fight for their rights.....girls can grow up knowing that they will be equal to their male counterparts one day soon.

March 19, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  8. Mrs. King's Global Studies Class, Tarpon Springs High School

There would be a lot of men driving around, refusing to ask for directions and lost. GPS sales would skyrocket.

March 19, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  9. Sara

I think it is a pointless law. It would be very hard to not be able to drive. Mothers, women workers and women in general do a lot of driving here in the states. The basic freedom of easy transportation is often taken for granted. But, over in Saudi Arabia women are fighting for their rights as equal citizens! I won't take driving freely for granted anymore. Also It seems to me that the Government may not want to grant freedom in this simple area for fear of the people desiring more and more freedom for women.

March 19, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  10. Mr. Koczot's Classes

My 6th Grade Social Studies Classes at Broad Creek Middle School in Newport, North Carolina feel that it is wrong that women don't have the right to drive their automobiles in some countries. The students feel that it is great that she is making a statement.

Some students think that men should be banned from driving for one week in these countries – to see how they would like it.

Most students say we live in a world where "sexes" should not be separated... we have moved past this, and other countries should as well.

Mr. Koczot

March 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  11. Tonio

Do you remember the Airbus-jet almost crashing on 8th of march here in Hamburg due to heavy gusts? It was a 24-year old woman who flew the machine. Since then guys get seriously scared around here when they here a woman is steering any kind of vehicle.

What I think is that women are the same kind of driver like any other guy on the road. In my opinion, it's typical for a country like Saudi Arabia, where husbands rule over the family and especially over their own wifes (and where men have more rights at all).

Actually, you can't really anticipate when a wind gust comes, so every pilot, even a male pilot would have been in trouble. I'm convinced the woman saved 137 lives because she reacted correctly!

March 19, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  12. Azure

Having been to Egypt, I know how rare it is to see a woman drive. However I still don't understand why, seeing as most women are as good of drivers or better than men anyway...

March 19, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  13. Richard

without a mom driving how can they get to their job,or to the grocery store.How would they drive us to after school practices,or sport activities.

March 19, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  14. Steven

I think that the woman who dared to drive was very brave. I look at her as a hero because of the way she acted. I also don't think that it is fair for the Saudi Arabian authorities to give the right to drive to men only, and not women.

March 19, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
    • Ricardo

Dear BettyThanks for your question. There are lots of pestiivos here, gaining experience in commercial work will stand to you. Moving to straight acting can be at times difficult but most definitely not impossible (Milla Jovovich). I would suggest trying to get a few short films under your belt, maybe fringe theatre or attend one of the larger theatre open days (this maybe aged restricted though). I would also suggest keeping up the commercial work as your working with directors who maybe looking to shoot straight drama projects ..and your paying the bills.

March 14, 2013 at 2:35 am |
  15. Jade

The right for women to drive should (no doubt) be permitted. Imagine how hard it would be to be a single mother and living your life on what? a bus? I know: I am a child of a single parent and we would most likely be living on the street if it wasn't for the right to drive.

March 19, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  16. Caleb

We're supposed to be a world of equality. People around the world have been waiting for it, and only a few have gotten it. We were all created equal. However, I believe that it's a political move on the part of men. They want to keep their position of power, and feel superior. It may make sense , but that doesn't mean it's right. But, you've also got to consider the thoughts of the oppressed in this situation: the women. Are they okay with this? I don't think the men in the government are addressing this factor, when they really should be.

March 20, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  17. julia

I think the war in iraq is unnessisary and that we need to take control and leave! but not all at a time!

March 20, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  18. Tim

I bet its a safer country with women off the roads

March 20, 2008 at 12:26 pm |
  19. jacob

i think that women should drive because i beleive everyone deserves a chance a something including driving

March 20, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  20. mahlon

nothing against women but my grandmother cant drive to save her life....sorry

March 20, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  21. Amanda

I think it is completely rediculous that women there can't drive! I think men, women, African American's, everyone should be treated equally. No matter what religion you have no matter how you look you should be treated equally. I think every woman and every man should have the right to drive!

March 20, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  22. Tina

This is discrimination against women. I think that the Saudi Arabia officials are stuck in the past and need to update their laws and custums. This was an excellant time to air this story as March is Women's History month.

March 20, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  23. Rekiah

dude, it sucks that moms and women in general can't drive! i mean, come on, man, its the 20th century, women have just as much right to drive as men do. i say, good for that lady with the video on utube. STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT, YOU GO GIRL!

March 21, 2008 at 1:43 am |
  24. stephen

all woman and men should be equal in all countries and they should be able to drive when they feel like it just like men

March 21, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  25. Mrs. Samford's 4th period class

We believe that all women should be treated equally to men. Why should they be discriminated against. Even though sometimes they don't do the same thing as men, they at least should be able to drive a car and receive the same rights. Imagine not having your mom drive you to soccer practice, or not having one of those nice bus drivers that are women!

March 21, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  26. Skyler

I believe that women should be allowed to drive but in the owrkplace, women don't want to be treated like men, they want to be paid like a man, and treated like a woman.

March 21, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  27. Autumn

I think that it is not right. Women in the U.S. did not have the right to not drive, work, or do anything except to stay home and take care of the children. After women had fought it we actually got our rights so i think that many activists fight the driving then they can get their rights like we did.

March 21, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  28. thatcavalierfan93***

it sucks women can't drive there!

March 21, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  29. Wesley

I think that wemen should have the same rights as men do.

March 21, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  30. Sean

Considering women have had like no rights in Saudi Arabia for probably ever since the country was around, it is hard to say where i stand on this. Saudi Arabian women have been persecuted by their own country and as the country westernizes more like other countries where women drive and have better rights, the women see how this is and probably think better of themselves. The country also is becoming richer due to all the oil money coming into their country and more and more cars are being bought, so one asks themselves, why is it bad if the women drive? I think its more then just political, but also religious reasons. I think that in the religion of Islam, or whatever they believe, the women are not given as many rights so you would have to change their entire lifestyle and possibly writings in their religion to change this and it would lead to other women rights such as holding governmental positions or higher up things which could lead to bigger problems for the country and their teachings. I dont know what all to think about this though. Its sad that they dont have much rights, but how would you change it by making a video of yourself driving and posting it on youtube?

March 24, 2008 at 9:51 am |
  31. Alex

It is kinda stupid. I really dont get it.

March 25, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  32. King

BY THE WAY REKIAH ITZ THE 21ST CENTURY. HELLO!

March 27, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  33. Rob

I think the women can't drive thing is based in part on Islamic Law, which most Middle Eastern countries ascribe to. These countries are slow to change for fear of violating the tenets of the Qur'an.

March 29, 2008 at 3:18 am |
  34. jackie

I live in the middle east, next to Saudi. i think its unfair that women are not aloud to drive. its not against their religion, and women are also people. were i live women are aloud to drive. my mom drives me home from school everyday. I don't really think that there's a good reason for the men of Saudi not to allow women to drive. I think that men and women should have the same rights.

March 29, 2008 at 8:38 am |
  35. Meg

I think this is rather sad. Why do they have Islamic laws apply to the whole country, even if someone there isn't Islam? Women, In my opinion, should have the right to do what they like, regardless of religion. Women have obeyed the laws for hundreds of years, why not let them do a thing like drive a car?

March 31, 2008 at 5:11 pm |