.
March 16th, 2008

Still Here!

We could see the damage around downtown Atlanta while driving into work today.  There were holes in the roof at CNN Center, and almost an entire row of windows at the Georgia World Congress Center was blown out!  We're very fortunate, though, that no CNN employees were seriously hurt in Friday night's tornado.  And CNN Student News will be back online and on the air on Monday, bringing you stories like the weekend storms that hammered the Southeast.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Emily

I'm glad no one was hurt (@ the CNN center at least).

March 16, 2008 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  2. Tonio

Hey Carl,

I'm glad you're okay. Watching the news, it is always very frightening to see what tornadoes can do to human life and that we simply cannot reign over the force of nature (even with todays technology)! And nowadays, in times of climate crises and the climate change, tornadoes even begin to appear in Germany, in the middle of the temperate zone, where you rarely saw a tornado in earlier times.
    I remember being on a barnyard about 4 years ago, playing football with a friend. It was a hot day, there where only few clouds. Suddenly I saw some very small ragged clouds, rotating slowly and coming towards us. When they where exactly above us, a big wind gust hit us and let the soccer ball flying away. Some lawn chairs flew around, then it was over and the clouds just disappeared.
    Two years ago just south of Hamburg, a big tornado appeared, broke a big crane, killed two people with it and let 300.000 people sitting in the dark.

I hope to see much better news tomorrow.

Love your show,

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

March 16, 2008 at 7:05 pm | Reply
  3. Alice

Tornadoes never existed in my country,but I think it's scary,especially when a tornado strucks you during a basketball game! It's great that no one was hurt!

March 18, 2008 at 6:19 am | Reply
  4. Vicky

This kind of freaked me out. My husband just returned home from Atlanta one day prior to this tornado. I'm glad no one was hurt and really glad my husband was home before this happened!

March 18, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  5. Rekiah

well, all i can say is good for God letting the CNN center stay in 1 piece, i'd totally miss the news. glad no one was hurt. it was a little scary, i was watching the storm develop on the regular news and, dude, it was really freaky! if i were there, i would have been scared, man.

March 21, 2008 at 1:47 am | Reply
  6. Camille

I was in metro ATL, so i also had a horrible experience! That was about my first(maybe second) time in a tornadoe! It is sooooooooooooo scary! You had to be there!

March 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  7. sven

It sounds like a pretty scary thing. How extensive was the damage? I feel happy for the CNN people though. good thing noone was hurt.

March 25, 2008 at 7:17 pm | Reply
  8. King

i live in the hotlanta. But it wasnt so hot when that tornado came through! I live on the edge of the atlanta city limit so i got some minor damage. but it was loud! thanx to all those people who helped make atlanta even more beautiful! peace love happines

March 26, 2008 at 7:50 pm | Reply

Post a comment

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.