March 4th, 2008

Texting Trouble

Confession time:  I text.  And I occasionally walk into stuff while doing it.  Now I haven't broken an arm or a leg of my own (yet), but there are a couple smashed-up steamrollers, cracked concrete columns, and dented dump trucks that collided with this anchor on the move...

Anyway, smack talk aside, that's why I think that our texting report from Wednesday's show is so interesting.  Imagine having corners and posts in your city (or at your school) wrapped in thick padding so that students didn't get hurt while texting!

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Behind the scenes • News Coverage
  1. Kyle

I think the padding is rediculous. Its like they are being babyed.

March 5, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  2. Mary

I think that padding corners to protect texters is ridiculous. I don't understand how people even think that is a solution. It makes everything ugly and it's a complete waste of money. Don't text and walk into stuff, and if you do, deal with it. Just watch where you're going. It's really not that difficult.

March 5, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  3. Kelly

I think that putting up the pads on the posts is really unnecessary. People should be able to look where they are going. I think it’s a waste of money, and that it looks gaudy. The pads distract from the city. It doesn’t hurt that bad when you walk into a pole anyway.

March 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  4. bem

people shouldn't be awarded for texting all the time in the street. the padding on the poles is ridiculous. instead of texting in the street that should be watching where they are going...or here's an idea, stop and then text. what is the government going to do if the texter walks into the street and gets hit by a car? it should be the texters responsibility to take care of themselves, not "ugly" up the street with white pads everywhere.

March 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  5. Jessica

I think they shouldn’t waist money on buying pads for posts. If someone gets hurt that’s their fault, and the government shouldn’t be liable. I think they could use the money for something more useful. If they seriously have a problem with people getting hurt, then they should do something other than putting ugly pads on light posts.

March 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  6. McLovin

I think the padding is pretty ridiculous for texting. People probably shouldn’t be texting and walking if they are getting hurt. How dumb can a person be? If there is traffic and light poles around and you aren’t paying attention to them, then you should just stay at home forever.

March 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  7. Drew

I think it is pretty funny that people can not text and walk at same time. I mean it does not take that much talent to multi task with those two elements. Texting and driving is lot more dangerous and difficult. Maybe if new to texting then you might have some trouble but just walk at a slow pace and learn to multi task with these elements. But i find it hard to believe walking into signs, maybe slipping over a curb.

March 5, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  8. Sara

I laughed my head off!! If they are going to do that why don't they wrap the whole town in Bubble wrap!! If people are going to text around town and then run into things–Let them! Just make a law saying they can't sue the city for it and all will be well. Plus people should do that on their own time and instead look at the amazing nature around them.

March 5, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  9. Caleb

The idea makes sense. Yes, texting while walking isn't the best idea. I'm not saying it is. But people still do it, it's always going to happen while there are phones with texting. Just like DWT's. It happens no matter what. I think the British gov't realizes this, so that's why they came up with this idea. So if it's going to happen, you then you need to try to protect those who do text while walking (that really should be abbreviated like DWT....). So they've realized this and now they're putting up those pads. There is a certain "babying" level to it, but I'd rather be slightly babied than break an arm because I was texting while walking on the raod.

March 5, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  10. Aristotelis

I think that the padding is absolutley ridiculous. If you are a person who has trouble texting and walking at the same time, then you stop when you recieve a text, or wait and read it later.

March 5, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  11. Tatianna

I think that padding the poles and other stuff is dumb I think that who ever is texting should watch where they are going. Oh and how about when you bump into a person are you going to padd them too?

March 5, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  12. Tatianna

What will people think of next? Tatianna from,Yuma Fourth Avenue Junior High School ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  13. Lakeside=kk

Padding was a great idea. Many people are getting hurt.
    So this is a great idea. At leats they are not taking phones
    away.

March 5, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  14. Izsye

i think padding everything is only giving "texters" the go ahead and continue being a possible hazard. People shouldnt text and walk just stop where you are at and then text then continue to walk!

March 5, 2008 at 8:25 pm |
  15. guy

If someone doesn't watch where they're going, its their fault. It would cost money.,lots of it.

March 5, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  16. Chantal

I think its pretty awesome that they did that. Now lots of kids can have fun chatting with their friends and being able to know they won't accidentally hurt themselves by running into a pole! And its funny too!!

March 6, 2008 at 2:15 am |
  17. John

I dont like the idea of a cradling people who text while walking if they smash into something that is there own fault

March 6, 2008 at 2:57 am |
  18. Eric

Texting while walkin is way too weird, along with those padding. It's funny though when the man hugs it when he bumped into it.

March 6, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  19. leslie

I believe that hugging someone lets them now that you care about someone as a friend and can be used to just say hi or good morning to one of your friends. It can also hug some one that is sad and not having a bad day and letting them now that everything is pretty much okay and try to make there day better.

March 6, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  20. Lakota

okay, personally, im texting constantly; and to hear that britian may be making "text safe" walk ways, i find it kind of extreme. but i guess, if they have the budget for what their going to do. well, i guess let them go crazy.
    but really...HOW DO YOU INJURE YOURSELF TEXING MY GOODNESS!!

March 6, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  21. blairz

i am a texter i know that but padding... to be safe... is okay. i mean, if people really cared if they run into something when they are texting, they wouldnt actually be walking around texting i run into things before, like my mom or something, but not a pole! i am not that stupid

March 6, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  22. Andrew

What has our world come to where we need padding on lamp posts because of texting while walking. In my opinion texting while doing anything should be banned because of its danger. Especially driving!!

March 6, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  23. stephanie

In some places they shouldnt have to treat the population like babies it makes no sense at all I can read and drink and even play my video games and still not get hurt no one I know has either fallen or hurt them selves other than a few friends whos feet have a mind of their own.

March 7, 2008 at 1:00 am |
  24. DJ

I feel that this idea is like baby-proofing a house. I don't feel that it's really a good idea either because it's encouraging people to text at times when they should really have their phone's away.

March 8, 2008 at 12:59 am |
  25. Ryan

On My World Record Book 2007 I Am Looking At It Says U. S. A. Is Not The First One That We Text The Most On The Earth

March 8, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  26. Duncan

This is weird. If you are having this many problems you should tell people to watch out. Padding isn't what you should do.

March 11, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  27. kimmie

I think we should stop texting on the street so we don't run in to things. If we start running into things there will be a lot of accedents. If they walk out in the middle of the road there is a 32% that there going to make it out ok the rest of the 68% they might get hit....... So I would keep the texting to a minamum of at home. AND DONT TEXT AND DRIVE

March 13, 2008 at 10:42 am |
  28. Emily

I think it's funny. My friends do stuff like that all the time!!!!! lol.

March 16, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  29. Hollister

the padding is a great idea even though it sound kind'a dumb it could help. 😉

March 17, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  30. Amanda

I dont think people should text while walking. I text myself and i do it while i sit down unless it is completely urgent and there is no where to sit down. I think people should use some common sense and not text and walk at the same time unless you have eyes on your forehead and can look at your phone and where your going at the same time.

March 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  31. Won

In the word “The Iraq war”, it contains the word “war”. So, why do we want to continue to send our troops to Iraq when we do know about that? Is it possible when a lot of people will pass away included troops, citizens, especially children? Will the children become the orphans? The answer is yes if we keep doing…

March 20, 2008 at 6:48 pm |
  32. peter

if your going to do that at least pay a little attention to where your going or ceap peaking up or even pretend to pay attention.

March 20, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  33. Rekiah

i think its sad that people can't be careful when they are doing it, i mean gosh! if you have to text, do it in the car or on the bus, but not while you are walking around! its stupid! jsut my personal opinion...

March 21, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  34. thatcavalierfan94

yo, if you want to text, then do it somewhere else, its retarded to do it where you can hurt yourself or someone else! just watch where you're going people! there's nothing wrong with texting, just DO IT IN THE RIGHT PLACES!

March 22, 2008 at 1:28 pm |
  35. star

hahahahaha! it is a good iea, but people would probably be embaassed to use it. besides, if texting is dangerous and bad for the enviroment, then dont encourage it. i heard something about bees dieing form cell phone use.

June 9, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  36. Ginny

Its stupid! You shouldn't be texting when you're walking! You should text (if you have to) when you are sitting down!

June 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  37. DRAITSPAIVA

nice post i have RSS'd you, please update more often... thanks

September 30, 2008 at 6:44 am |