.
February 13th, 2008

Steroids and Baseball

Today, I saw a newswire characterize the Clemens-McNamee testimonies as a case of "he said, he said."  A lot of folks have mixed feelings about whom to believe when it comes to the issue of steroids in baseball – Thursday's show featured the opinions of both young players and parents.

Step up to the plate and tell us whether the steroids controversy has tainted your image of baseball – either the game or the players.  And while you're here, let us know how you think the issue should be handled.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Alice

I think they shouldn't let them play anymore if they discover anyone using drugs.I'm not a fan of baseball so it won't really affects me.

February 14, 2008 at 7:44 am | Reply
  2. alex

you shouldnttake steroidsbeacuseit hurtsyou morethan you think.you can have a heart attackand hurt your lungs.also you shouldnt beacuseall the people that like yougetreally disapoined likeme i roger clemens gets caught he was my idol.

February 14, 2008 at 9:15 am | Reply
  3. Rechard

I think steriod abuse is bad. kids look up to Roger Clemems. If he used steriods, kids will be angry and sad that their hero uses perforance hancing drugs!!!!!!!!!! Steriods should only be used to help people who are sick. Those who use steriods for sports are cheaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

February 14, 2008 at 9:17 am | Reply

KNOWONE should steroids even if your not stronge enough or can't play good steroids can kill you .Dont use steroids i think they should stop selling them I would not want to lose a famliy member to a overdose of steroides thier really bad for you. Dont EVER DO DRUGS.

February 14, 2008 at 9:19 am | Reply
  5. Megan F.

you shouldnt do steriods because it is NOT a good way to teach young fans to ruin your body and look up to that person. If you wanna play baseball and you stink at it that is okay because not everyone is perfect. Like my dad says you cant catch everything that comes at you or dont cry over spilt milk. if it is such a big deal to be great at baseball or any sport that comes around to you. steroids do NOT make anything better it hurts your very own body and it hurts your soul inside because you know you are doing something wrong that you shouldnt be doing. When you know that your young and old fans find out that you are doing steroids they will realize that there can be a soulution to being bad at something. Although you might make a few mistakes, practice makes perfect and perfect practice leads to no steroids!!!!!!!!!!! yay! All im trying to get at is why did anyone even make steroids they are usless and NO ONE SHOULD USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2008 at 9:20 am | Reply
  6. Brian Lee

I dissapointed with baseball players and the baseball game.
    It will affect many children who want to be a baseball player and even they can quit the baseball.
    The man who abused steroids should be punished and should make him not to abuse steroids anymore.
    It is serious issue in the sportsdom and police should investigate other kinds of sports seriously.
    There should be a player who abuse steroids.

February 14, 2008 at 9:49 am | Reply
  7. Alli

I think that baseball players, especially Major League Baseball players, shouldn't take steroids because it makes little kids with big dreams of wanting to be a major league baseball player look bad for the parents if the child wants to be someone who is taking steroids. I would be embarrassed if my child went around saying, "I want to be Roger Clemons who takes steroids!" -_-

February 14, 2008 at 10:07 am | Reply
  8. Logan

I think steroids have ruined the game of baseball. I play baseball which it affected me. Some of the players that have been acused of steroids use has hurt me. I would think it hurts you worse than it does help. I would never take steroids because it tear muscles and shrinks you know what!!! This is stupid why they invented steroids and human growth horomones.

February 14, 2008 at 10:12 am | Reply
  9. Ms. Rodman's 3A Economics Class

Yes, it has changed our view of baseball because we no longer know what players we can believe and which we cannot – are they all cheaters? We believe that after the first offense players should receive a warning and a suspension, and after the second offense players should be dismissed from the team and banned from the league.

February 14, 2008 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  10. David

I believe that if people are found using steroids they should not be allowed to play baseball anymore. Steriods to me is cheating because it makes you stronger and gives you more energy. My hat is off to those who dont use steroids because they love the game and make them selves better by practicing and not cheating.

February 14, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  11. Baptist Hill High School, $th Period Law Education Class

Steroids in Sports

Six months jail plus six months rehabilitation
    Fine – $1-2 million per instance of violation
    Pay back salary during period of offense
    Banned from the sport for life

February 14, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Reply
  12. Bobby

Steriods if used properly may not cause any problems at all. Same with HgH, however it is illegal for professional sports to use and if it is proven any player has used either of these enhancements, then all records during the period "of use" should be striken from the record books and all awards returned. But, do you think that will happen, NO. Its to much a big business. We fans of sports are getting way to tired of all these "prima-dona" professional players. Yes Clemens took the "stuff" and yes McNamee is a sleeze ball. We all know that so strip Clemens of his records and awards during his time of use. Put McNamee in jail and lets move on. And Congress, stay out of places you don't belong!! Get back to work on MY country.

February 14, 2008 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  13. efrain

i tink that using starioids i stupid.You are onli making your life short and making your sellf stupid.drugs are sometimes used i medisen but not use to get muscill.i do not tink the baseball player is using starioids because he will be stupid.

February 14, 2008 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  14. Holly

I think the controversy with steriods & baseball has changed many people's views on baseball. Now you don't know if it's the actual player in the game, or if it's the enchancer "helping" them out. with how many atheletes that are using these drug-enchancers, it makes you wonder. are they all cheaters?

February 14, 2008 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  15. Leslie

I think the baseball plarers that are taking steriods and found gulity should not play baseball anymore and put into jail.

February 14, 2008 at 7:13 pm | Reply
  16. Bryce

I think its stupid to use steriods . as you play some tim es it could stop working and you could be caught. If you ask me i think they should have never been made

February 14, 2008 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  17. riley

i think if you use steriods you shouldnt be able to play any more because steriods are bad.

February 14, 2008 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • Nindia

I have seen many people using steroids for building muscle size and muscle group. I would like to give them a advice.concerning, the best place to inject steroids. A lot of individuals fear needles and try to avoid injectable steroids, but it is the best method to take these due to the fact that injecting it to a big muscle group makes it so that much less toxins are directed through the liver. Also, people tend to not forget about taking their dose simply because they know they need to inject themselves while a pill is simple to forget to take.You should NEVER inject virtually any oil based steroids into your own veins as it can be extremely unhealthy. The best location to inject steroids is in your Gluteus Medius Meaning the top correct side of your right buttock! Appreciate Body building without having any issue.

July 20, 2012 at 2:06 am | Reply
  18. Betty

I think steroied use in baseball is a extremly bad thing. When used appropeitly though they save lives, like my moms. But when Athletes used them thousands of people are upset. The american ethic on sports is to win, win, win at any cost. I think this and the millions of dollars given to Athletes pollutes pros minds. They want to win in the playoffs, be national Champions, and be a pro as long as they can. When they take Steroids they don't think about there families and friends. They don't think about how these drugs take TEN years of their lives. If they still thing steroids are a good a idea.... well they need to read the facts.

February 14, 2008 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  19. Wyatt

I think that when someone is caught using steriods or any other kind of drugs for that matter should be kicked out of the sport that they are in and should never again be able to play pro sports EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm | Reply
  20. Zoe

I believe that when someone thinks that they need performance enhancing drugs to make them play baseball better, they have a HUGE lack of confidence. Most baseball fans look up to a professional player as inspiration. A true fan would realize that a person who uses steroids for the wrong reason is NOT a good example.

February 14, 2008 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  21. Becky

I don't think that it's very fair to use steroids. I play soccer, indoor and outdoor and I had to try had to get on the competitive team I am on. No one in my town uses HGH, and I would never hink of doing it. Steroids or not, Clemens should be banned from baseball. Why would McNamee say he was using steroids if Clemens wasn't? I am on McNamee's side.

February 15, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  22. Andy

Whats up. We think that the steroid allegations have ruined baseballs image. People aren't going to watch baseball if they know it is just a bunch of enhanced baseball players. In the end steroids destroy the public view of baseball. We really want to be on a shout out! This is Andy from Temecula, California. Go CNN student news!!!!

February 15, 2008 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  23. kal

I think that if a baseball player is proven to have used steroids thay should be banned from mlb. Also any record they set should be erased.

February 16, 2008 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  24. Alexander

I think that professional sport players who use drugs like steroids shouldn't play anymore. It would not be fair to the other players. People like that should end their career.

February 17, 2008 at 1:16 am | Reply
  25. brittany

YES i think romance is dead because everyone on Valentines day is worried about if there date is HOT. What happened to true LOVE?

February 17, 2008 at 10:52 am | Reply
  26. brittany

STERIODS???? Well i think the people who take the steriods dont really know all about them. I think we sould try to get rid of them A>S>A>P.

February 17, 2008 at 10:54 am | Reply

Steroids is an awful thing to do if you get caught you could be is big trouble! If you are not strong work out don't just take steroids! If you take them you could die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 17, 2008 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  28. mindi

i think its sad that many of these major league players are using steroids to enhance there game...what happened to natural ability?? many kids look up to these people who are being payed millions and are being disappointed. You don't always have to be the best...somebody is always going to better than you at something. I just think its very sad.

February 17, 2008 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  29. Araam/Todd

Baseball isn't of much interest to me, but this steroid issue is only going to make me dislike the players, not the actual sport. It's not like the game is using the steroids, it's the players.

If a player has steroids in their system, they should be not allowed to play baseball anymore. It doesn't matter if they knew that they had it or not, there is still a drug in their body that is an unfair advantage over players who work hard to get where they are.

February 17, 2008 at 8:38 pm | Reply
  30. Michael

At first, I can't understand why they use steroids. Even if you want to win Baseball; it's just a game. It's not like the end of the world when you lose a baseball game. Also drugs are B A D, bad. It can make abnormal side effects which effect the body in a very bad way. So what I'm saying is that DRUGS ARE BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 at 8:21 am | Reply
  31. Artiesha

I think that the steroid taking may hurt the players fans mostly.Many people would start to distrust them.I also think that it is not about winning all the time,its about showing your effort and that it is okay to win or lose sometimes but all that matters is that you tried your hardest and gave it your best and next time you will try a little harder.

February 19, 2008 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  32. Nashwa

I think what the baseball players are doing is wrong; I say that because kids look up to the players and by what they’re doing it's telling the kids that wining and cheating is the only way to go. Kids would also think that taking steroids is the way to life.

February 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  33. Dylan

steroids ruin my image of baseball. they give someone un deserved muscle mass and cause many health issues. if someone is lacking in common sense enough to use them, then I would lose all if any respect I had for them.

February 21, 2008 at 10:48 am | Reply
  34. Caleb

Steroids in baseball don't taint the image of baseball for me. I think that the players that are found guilty of steroid use should be suspended or banned from the leauge. People like Barry Bonds who used steroids or HGH should have asterisks by their names in the record book.

February 21, 2008 at 10:55 am | Reply
  35. griffin

I am strongly against steroids and using them is very wrong. It ends up tearing up your body anyways so i always wander why anyone would want to use them.

February 21, 2008 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  36. tyler

I think baseball players who use steroids are low lifes who have to cheat to accomplish something with their career. I have no respect for any player who has used them, which is probabaly at least 50% of the league. I also believe Roger Clemens is a liar who keeps digging his hole even deeper.

February 21, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  37. AlexanderTheGreat

I think that steroids are not a very good idea to use in the first place. But second of all they are illegal and that is the worst part. It is bad that professional players have to take steroids and HGH's just to give them an edge on the competition, it is sickening and i think that they should be kept from the hall of fame and be banned from the MLB like Ricky Williams was from the NFL and should not be able to come back until they can prove they are clean.

February 21, 2008 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  38. T-MAN

Steroids are not a good thing to use if you are looking for enhancement in what you are trying to accomplish. It have more downsides to it than upsides the only upside is that is makes you stronger, muscle wise. The downsides are is makes things shrink......
    It also makes you get tied faster and makes you age quicker.
    It hasn't changed my view of baseball because it happens so much to all the players. I love baseball and always will.

February 21, 2008 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  39. B-dub

I think they shouldnt take steriods to play anything or make you stronger. i think if you work hard and tain and practice alot then you should be able to do what your able to do. but i think if you want to kick the steroids users out of baseball then thier wouldnt be anybody playing caz they all take it

February 21, 2008 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • Jake

This is some of biggest nsnesnoe I have ever read. I have worked out in many gyms, and very, very few women can come CLOSE to squatting or leg pressing the amount of weight that men do in these LEG exercises. I do not know where you got that 5.8% quote but that's nsnesnoe also. Instead of hating on men, why don't you just be the best you can be but don't fool for yourself for a minute into thinking women's legs are stronger. 5 minutes in any good gym will dispel that notion.

July 20, 2012 at 2:18 am | Reply
  40. Serge

Steriods are cheep but if a baseball player uses them he souldent be kicked off the team, i think they should let the player's have 1 or 2 warnings before banning them from the MLB. The first offense shouldent get you banned because that's not fair that you dont give the players a chance.

February 21, 2008 at 3:39 pm | Reply
  41. Dustin

I Think that if they catch players on Steroids they should be banned from the MLB. Because it is Cheating and once you get Steroids in your body you are always going to be as big as you get when you take the steroids you will get big and there is no way to lose all you have gain.

February 21, 2008 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  42. Marisa

I think that steriods are one of the worst things people can do to ruen their lives. I mean if you really think about it first it's steriods then people stop at nothing to find more seriously harmful playing inhancining drugs.

February 21, 2008 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  43. Patrick

I think it obviouslly is cheating but aclemens said it would have been easier for him to confess right away so i have to thnk that he might not have used performance enhancing drugs, all in all they are only hurting the sport and the next generation of players

February 21, 2008 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  44. Muhammed

Clemens is a liar if his best friend did it and admits to it then you know Clemens did it so fess up!

February 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  45. Michael

Steroids are wrong. Because, you enter the sport because you think you're good. Not to get in and take drugs to get better. Sure, your body may look better from the outside, but on the inside, it tears you apart and can lead to your death, just because you wanted to hit a home run. They need to think that, am i willing to die to get some good stats.

February 29, 2008 at 10:30 am | Reply
  46. isy

players use steroids to improve their image between people i think this makes them fake bcause if yorue not good enough to play with your own qualityies. youre not good enough to be in professional sports escpecailly baseball . We look at these players as our heroes and a while later we findout that they are cheaters Saaaaaaaad

March 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  47. jye

why would you take steroids??????????????????? Do you know that you get brestes if you are men dddddddddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Reply

Post a comment

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.