February 12th, 2008

Is Romance Dead?

I had a girlfriend in 7th grade who totally showed me up on Valentine's Day.  I thought a single red rose would be a simple, but romantic, symbol of how I felt for her.  She showed up with a HUGE card, box of chocolates, and a stuffed doll.  You can guess how I felt...

One thing our gifts had in common, though:  They were pretty traditional.  Most Americans probably think cards, chocolates, and roses for Valentine's.  Some write a love song or poem to capture someone's heart; others just take a deep breath and tell someone how they feel, hoping not to get rejected.

But do you think any of this stuff matters?  When was the last time you asked someone to dance?  Do you think that holding hands is sweet, or do you think all of this is best left to old movies?  I want to know... Is romance dead?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Lilly

I think romance is dying because so many people dont want to be embarresed or rejected. I think holding hands is very sweet and I think that this stuff does matter. Ramance is not completly dead but its dying. More people should get into the Valentines Day spirit and just have fun!

February 12, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  2. Jorge

I think the romance is going down because in the the actuality the people are more concerned in many other things that makes them forget the essential of a relationship. I think this stuff is very important because many times we dont have the time to remind our partner what we feel about her/him, so this "stuff" is a good way to remind and demonstrate them that we love them. I think holding hands is sweet because it shows the people that two people are a couple. I think romance is not dead but it has decreased a lot and if it keeps going on like this it will be dead soon. The problem is that many people forget that the romance is the beginning of most relationships, and with the time they forget about it, and with the time the couples keep being together because of a habit rather than because they are in love.

February 13, 2008 at 10:37 am |
  3. Alex

Romance is clearly not dying. In fact, it is intensely heating up. Everyone is now looking for romance and the fear of being embarrassed or rejected is less prevalent in today's era than it was in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Everywhere you look today, you see couples holding hands and being cuddly with each other. However, the downside of this uprising of romance is that relationships today do not last nearly as long as relationships in past years. The pursuit of happiness and love has lead to the loss of romance because people are now tending to skip the first stages of love that include romance. Everyone now wants to achieve the final success but without the necessary means to get there.

February 13, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  4. Mathew

I believe romance is not dying because everyday my friends are thinking of better surprises or gifts for their girlfriends. Holding hands is very sweet; you may see many of the older generation holding hands where ever they go but a lot of the younger generation holds hands too. Gifts are important too; even the small gifts matter like a simple bracelet or a small card that you made. Many people don't realize that there is a lot of thought put into a gift for their special someone. For instance my current events teacher has thought of the sweetest idea for his girlfriend/future wife. He has made a puzzle and framed it and wrote a poem on a scroll and he said it took him around 3 days. Romance is still present, with a lot of thought and feeling butterflies just thinking about what you are going to surprise your special someone is romance to me.

February 13, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  5. Alison

I wouldn't say romance is dead, it is actually kinda going up, but romance is also turning into a competition. With all of the new electronic stuff and 'cool' things, we try so hard to impress our loved ones that we forget the actual meaning of a relationship. Like, if you give something very great, we think that the other person will like us more. They should like you for yourself, not you money! Also, a lot of people date others, dump them, then date another person so they can tell their friends that they dated, lets say, 20 people in their lives. It has definetly turned into a kind of competition. But not all of romance is turning into a competition, many of my friends really care for the other person and try their hardest to please the other personby just being themselves. So, lets all try to keep the REAL feeling of romance alive!!

February 13, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  6. amaury

that princible kissing the goat, two words LOL MATERIAL

February 13, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  7. knbergeobj

i thank its sweet when somone does somthing like that

February 13, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
    • Saw

One thing I would really like to say is alywas that car insurance canceling is a feared experience so if you're doing the right things being a driver you may not get one. Many people do receive the notice that they've been officially dumped by their insurance company and several have to scramble to get further insurance after the cancellation. Affordable auto insurance rates are usually hard to get after the cancellation. Understanding the main reasons pertaining to auto insurance cancellations can help car owners prevent getting rid of in one of the most vital privileges available. Thanks for the suggestions shared by means of your blog. 151

March 14, 2013 at 1:12 am |
  8. Andrew

I do think romance is dead. I mean, kids under the age of say 15 or 16 don't really know what romance is, and you will never truly know what love is until you get married.

February 13, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  9. Mr. Konecki's AP Class

We feel that even though chocolates, flowers, baloons, etc... matter it's always nice to just be around a person you like and tell them how much they mean to you! Nowadays, people are afraid of rejection so they froget to express their feelings, but deep down they wish to really spill their heart.

February 13, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  10. Tina

I don't believe romance is dying- it's adapting to new standards.

I suppose years ago young couples showing affection towards each other regularly was more tolerated than it is now (but then, I could be wrong).
    Many people complain today about others' public displays of affection, especially in schools. Speaking of, mine is going as far as to ban any Valentine gifts brought on campus, which is a great example of the district's fear of PDA- now they've banned kissing *and* gifts. Nice.
    Anyway, I believe, if my assumption is correct, that couples are beginning to find less /obvious/ ways of showing their affection to one another; thus making it seem there is an absence of romance when there really isn't.

February 13, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  11. jeff

i think it is sort of both because many people have the guts to go and face the chances of being rejected plus the chances of being accepted and many people don't want to face the chances of being rejected when they're missing the chances of being accepted.

February 14, 2008 at 7:44 am |
  12. Mr. Kennedy's Class

One student thinks romance is not dead because all of those things are special.
    Another student thinks that it is not dead because I still see people holding hands.
    It depends on the person feels about the other person.

February 14, 2008 at 10:36 am |
  13. Bansari

I don't think that romance is totally dead, but it is probably not as hot as it was when Shakspeare was around with his romantic tales and all the romantic poets... But there are so many people in the world right now who are really romantic... you can see those kind of people just about anywhere you go... especially on Valentines Day!!!! I don't thin that romance is completley ove but you could say that is is slowy decreasing!!!

February 14, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  14. Ms. Rodman's 3A Economics Class

We believe if you are in a true relationship, everyday should be Valentine's Day (even if all the chocolate makes you really fat). In many ways, Valentine's Day is a commercial scam to force consumers to buy products they don't want or need. Instead of focusing on expressing love through words, individuals try to buy love. In this way, romance is somewhat dead.

February 14, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  15. Ms. Hernandez' s Health Class , HOBBS NM

As a class, we were highly offended by the ignorance voiced in the interview of one of the young boys that commented writing poetry is "emo". Not everyone that writes poetry is necessarily "emo". It was a prejudicial comment, and extremely offensive. Poetry is only one form of expression that cannot be categorized or subgrouped by those wishing to promote gender and race bias. To call Walt Whitman an Emo is not only sacreligious but is the height of ignorance. Emily Dickson and Shakespeare were famous poets, are they to be considered "Emo"? A lack of appreciation for poetry may be the variable in the death of romance!

February 14, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  16. angelica & shaniqua & kaitlynn

We're three kids from rochester minnasota and we think that ROMANCE is not dead and POEMS are not just for EMO people!

at our school if you have a BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND they really "love" you,and they get you stuff!

I have a question how do i go about asking someone out if LOVE IS DEAD!?!

P.S LOVE IS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love,
    Shaniqua , Angelica & Kaitlynn

February 14, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  17. ray

I think that its not that its dieing. Its that people are scaerd to show it. I mean like yeah when you get older and married people may not be as up tight about it. because they have sum one they love and they know that they wont get rejected or laughed at. i think that its just that teenagers just dont really know how to show it..or they just dont want to be rejected by that (special) sum oneor laughed at by other people

February 14, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  18. Gabe

Dude u are so wrong, material stuff does not matter it's whats inside that counts

February 14, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  19. Meghan

I think romance might be dead because this year it didn't really seem like valentines day. It to me was more of a day where people just gave out free candy and stuff. I would have to say romance is dead.

February 14, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  20. Holly

I think romance is dead. Nowadays, teens don't tend to do much for their boyfriends or girlfriends anymore. it is mostly the older generations that tend to make all the romantic gestures on Valentine's Day. I believe the only one's keeping romance alive are the old folks.

February 14, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  21. Bryce

I dont think romance is dead . I had alot of romance for the girl i love. I see more love and romance in young people that i do anything now a day

February 14, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  22. Gretchen

No, I don't think romance is dead. It's harder to find these days but, today I noticed that underneath the surface people are more romantic than you might think.

February 14, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  23. Zoe

I don't think that romance is dead. It is just changing. It used to be romantic to write someone a poem, but now, it is just a bit cheesy. Today, most girls like to recieve jewelry. It lets you wear something sentimental that represents your love for someone. It will last forever.

February 14, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  24. Jason

Valentines is all about making money.
    Multi-billion dollar companies make money off of YOU because you buy chocolate, flowers, and etc.

My personal opinion is that you should do something else than believe a box of sugary chocolates will heighten the level of your relationship.

February 15, 2008 at 3:10 am |
  25. April

I don't think that it's dead, however i do think that it has changed scince what it was in the past.

I have to agree with Jason, a box of chocolate can't really strengthen your relationship.

February 15, 2008 at 12:23 pm |
  26. Libbie

Personally I do not feel that romance is dead, but I do hate the commercialism of Valentine's Day. My boyfriend and I DON NOT celebrate the dreaded V-day. I do think that holding hands is sweet and I don't think that romance is dead. I think that romance doesn't need to be over the top and eccentric, it just needs to be from the heart, like doing something special just because, for the a simple reason, like simply beacuse it is Wednesday!

February 15, 2008 at 12:25 pm |
  27. Alexander

Romance is where two people fall in love with each other. I would say romance will always be alive in certain people because that is what they believe.

February 17, 2008 at 1:19 am |
  28. Kayleigh

CARL AZUZ!! My main man.. Well, this is what I think about this blog posting. I think that a single rose for your girlfriend in 7th grade is the perfect gift.I didn't get anything this Valentines Day! Gifts aren't what make valentines day special, its knowing somebody cares , or even loves you.gifts are just another way to show it. Well, I guess your girlfriend was nuts about you!!

February 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. caroline

I don't think romance is dead and there's nothing wrong with holding hands, but I don't think we need a whole holiday to show someone how we feel about them, they should already know all year long how you feel. Valentines Day hasn't change at all, when you look around you can clearly see people around you celebrating it!

February 18, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  30. Amy

There are many different view points to this situation. In my opinion love and romance are two totally different things! With love you truly do love the person for what they are and what they believe instead of what they look look or what they give you. Romance is when you spend time with your "partner" for some getting-to-know-each-other fun. You wouldn't love a person just because they give you something. To answer your question Carl, love may not be happening during adolesence, but romance is definately not dead. You take one look around Whitewater Middle School, and you surely will agree with me.

February 19, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  31. Lizzy

Personally I believe that romance (or the idea of romance) is slowly escaping our society. I think what people idea of romance has difiantly changed over the years. Romance doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy your loved one the most extravagant gift for V-day. Just simple gestures like making a home cooked dinner, holding hands, holding the door open, or just taking the time out of your day to show how much you appreciate that special someone.

February 19, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  32. jerry

I think that giving gifts does not have to do anything with true love. If you really love somebody the gifts do not matter. you should never doubt about somebody living you. love is something that comes from your heart.

February 21, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  33. diego

Theirs nothing wrong with holding hands. Gifts do not matter when you really love somebody. You should already know that the person you love loves you too. Love comes from your heart. I personally think that love is not dead.

February 21, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  34. ashley

romance isnt dead. Now a days people show more affection than they used to. We like to hold hands in public and kiss each other. We like to buy gifts for each other and all that sweet stuff.

February 21, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  35. ryan

i think romance is and always will be alive for instance for valentines day my dad took my mom out to diner and he got her flowers and chocolate so i think romance is alive...

February 22, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  36. Madi

I think that romance is dying because people are more scared and don't want to be rejected by the other person.

February 28, 2008 at 9:53 am |
  37. Alexandra

Carl-

I think romance is dying because people don't want to be embarrased. I think holding hands is sweet because it usually shows you like someone. I think people should be okay with romance because it will build character and build their relationship

February 28, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  38. brianna

i think that romance has a chance to LIVE AGAIN but if people dont really "LOVE" the person then why do they even try to be romantic i think that people are just embarrased about their felling about their "sweet hearts"

March 3, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  39. dude

Yes – it kicked the bucket a long time ago.
    Define "romance"

March 4, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  40. Berissa

Of corse not romance s not dead everybody loves romance and if sombody dosnt give you anything for valentines day that dosnt mean to breakupp wit them mabey they jus couldnt get you anything but still ROMANCE IS NOTT DEAD!!!!!!

March 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  41. cutieondraya

duh romance is so not dead. i see romance all over when i go out to the mall or a restraunt or just walking somewhere . i think romance is so not like not dead.

March 4, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  42. stephen

I think romance is dying because people want to see other people and they don't show romance any more

March 26, 2008 at 10:08 am |
    • Taishi

He said you wanted it ditercly under challenge please click on images above to view close up and select which you approve. also please call me when you have sizes and print siz and approval so i can get job on schedule and ready to print thanks

March 13, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
  43. Nina

I'm thinking that romance is dying, people make fun of you if your partner person is not one of their friends, and from personal experience, it made me feel like a loser to have a boyfriend or friend that was considered lame.

October 1, 2008 at 7:57 pm |