.
February 5th, 2008

It's Super Tuesday!

We're going to be here all night, watching the election returns as they come in, and preparing the show for your classroom tomorrow. Hope you are watching with us. Let us know what you think, as the night goes on. Should be a very interesting night.

Gerald Smith, CNN Student News Producer 

Filed under: Behind the scenes • News Coverage
  1. Sean

Super tuesday, the great american race. The day that separates the fit from the fittest. The GOP will almost be complete tonight since there is over 1,000 delegates up for grabs. But it also appears as though that the democrat race will still be very close with some important states soon to come.

February 5, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  2. charlotte

I know it's super tuesday but what's the big idea it's just a bunch of normal people running for an office that might actually help or destroy the whole world SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! most of them don't have a good reason except for maybe they want power and control

February 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  3. KiKiona

I know its SUPER TUESDAY and all bu whats the big dea most of the slezes running are just running for money and power i dont think they should run at a if thats what their trying to get at Espicialy Hillary Cinton thats oneof the reasons she's running her husband just wants to have more White House power and he's wiling to put his wife in the president seat to get it

February 5, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  4. christofer

I think that Obama is the voice of the next generation of people. and the endorsements from the most experienced Dems at all in the Kennedy's. He is the only actual voice of change. And to those who ask "what's the big deal"? Just the fact that you could have another George Bush in McCain, A Mormon in Romney, A Preacher in Huckabee, A woman in the pant suit Hillary Clinton, and The first African American president in Obama. Being a white 25 year old male. GO OBAMA 2008!!!

February 6, 2008 at 5:34 am |
  5. Mariah

If you can't understand what the big deal is when it comes to electing the next President of the worlds super power then I'm glad you aren't voting. Obviously you can't comprehend that when you vote you impact not only your life or the lives of the people of the U.S. but also of people all around the world. Yes power and control come with the territory but if you actually watched a debate or read a news article you'd realize that there are some things in the country that need to change and if you decide it's not worth it you're only hurting yourself. So what's the big deal? That voting is the basis of this country.

February 6, 2008 at 9:45 am |
  6. Ellen

Unfortunately, I didn't register with a party, so I couldn't vote in the New York primaries. It's great that young people are getting more involved with voting. We need our interests represented as much as those of other demographics.

February 6, 2008 at 9:46 am |
  7. Parker

Who do you think is going to win President? Hilary or MCcain

February 6, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  8. Frankie

I believe this is very important for us, even as students,because these votes may press upon our country's future. I think on the ballot will be Huckabee and Obama because these men are strong, and opinionated, but stearn and intelligent at the same time.

February 6, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  9. Mariel

Super Tuesday is such a big deal. We are narrowing down who our WORLD LEADERS could potentially be. That is huge, deciding upon these leaders affects not only the United States and all if its citizens, but also the world as a whole. This years campaign is changing the U.S. nothing like this has ever happened before, we have female and minority candidates!!! I believe that the United States is on the way to achieveing something so great and astronomical. Brush up on some facts before commenting so negatively on potential presidents. Thank you.

February 6, 2008 at 12:10 pm |
  10. Anna

As a young person, I know that Super Tuesday is a very important day. I hate it when people say things like "well, I don't like anyone, so I'm not going to vote." Even if all that you accomplish is that you pick the least worst person, that is better than nothing. Young people in this country need to make their voices heard! Sure, we can complain about things down the river and back again, but when it comes to making critical decisions, most of us would rather let other people handle it. We need to start to make our own decisions; think logically to pick the person who would benefit the nation as a whole. Campaigns are all well and good, but when you get down to brass tacks, the most important things are the candidates themselves, their issues, and who you want to make your country great. So VOTE! Make your voice heard, and encourage others to do the same. You have no just cause to complain if you had no say in the first place, and who knows? Our next president might be there just because of you.

February 6, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  11. Sean

First of all the president doesn't get paid all that much. They make about 4 to 5 hundred thousand dollors. So I don't get where your getting this idea that they just want money and they only get 4 years to do a good job or it will. They already have the money before they run.

February 6, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  12. jeff

i,m voting for obama because he is going to put lower taxes and heath insheince.

February 6, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  13. jeff

I know its SUPER TUESDAY and all bu whats the big dea most of the slezes running are just running for money and power i dont think they should run at a if thats what their trying to get at Espicialy Hillary Cinton thats oneof the reasons she’s running her husband just wants to have more White House power and he’s wiling to put his wife in the president seat to get it

February 6, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  14. kofi

I like obama because he understands what needs to be fixed but he shut not stop the war because iraq will get werse and my dad is there

February 6, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  15. Kristin

I couldnt vote this past tuesday because i dont turn 18 till september, but i would like to have. I think that it would be amazing to be apart of such a big decision that is going to affect our county. Even though it is just a primary its one of the beggining steps in determing who is going to be our president. Everyone, especially young people, should exercise their right to vote.

February 6, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  16. Kaycee

I think it's great that young people are embracing voting with such a passion, but it's disappointing to hear and read things people have said or written about not understanding the importance of voting. I've heard so many news reports about how the young people are really coming out for this election and I can't help but think that it's mainly because of all the publicity over this year's potential candidates. Instead of the usual choices Americans are given for candidates, there seems to be refreshing new people with new ideas that the young people can really try to relate to. Besides the candidates are some issues young adults are really interested in and I think the spontaneity of the primaries are just the beginning of an exciting election.

February 6, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  17. bridgett

i hope obama wins

February 6, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  18. Stephanie

Due to all of the major issues in American society today, people are really embracing the voting power that they have, especially young people. It is nice to see that the younger generation (in which I belong) is taking advantage of their right to express the 26th amendment! I am not eighteen yet, but I will be for the Presidential election this coming fall, and I know I'm looking forward to it. One of the major issues that must be taken into consideration this fall is the war in Iraq. I know that whoever I decide to vote for, they will support the war in Iraq. I don't think that Clinton, Edwards, or Obama know what this will do to the people living in and around Iraq. Not only that, but their idea of having a timetable to get troops out of Iraq is completely ridiculous and impractical. What if a major hostage situation occued or another terrorist attack on the U.S. happened, then what? Would we still pull out troops just to make sure that the "timetable" is accurate? NO. So in the end, the canidates who promised that the troops would be out in a certain amount of time would end of being a liar if they decided to keep them there. In my opinion, it is political death if you look at it that way. Everything that the U.S. troops and Bush administration has done for out country and the rest of the world will be for nothing if we pull out our soldiers. As a proud American, I know that we don't back down...and that is what the Democratic canidates are asking U.S. citizens to do. We need to fight for what America stands for, freedom and democracy. If Romney, McCain, or Huckabee win, than we will continue the war in Iraq as we should. HAPPY VOTING!

February 6, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  19. izzabella

When it comes to picking our next president you have to choose.Do you want our first woman president.Or do you want our first black president.I think i would want Barack Obama to be our next president because i just hate that war in Iraq and he wants to bring our troops home and thats the kind of president that I want.So................GO BARACK OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  20. Troy

You say its not a big deal and they only want power and control so it might be a good idea to vote for someone you can trust by this "POWER AND CONTROL". So I think it is a pretty big deal. Why would you want anyone else but ordinary people running? If there ordinary that means that they are like you and me so they most likely will want the same things as us. Sorry an action hero like Arnold Swarzenegger is not running.

February 6, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Jamie

I think they kind of pushed aside the twisters because of Super Tuesday. They were like "Oh some voting booths closed early for twisters to bad they didn't get to vote". THESSE ARE DEADLY TWISTERS KILLING 50 PEOPLE OMG.

February 7, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Johnny

I think the presidencial caniddates should go on a debate and talk about what they can do best as president and let people know who to choose or have an idea what each president idea is.

February 11, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  23. Rejhan

i wanted mike gravel to win.....but if hillary gets the dem. nomination im becoming a independent..because i dont like republicans either..but if obama wins the nomination ill stay democrat

February 12, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  24. alexa.

HILLARY 08-12.
    🙂
    she is amazing, and our voice matters to her. she understands what our needs as americans are.
    in '12, I'll be JUST old enough to vote, so GO HILL!

February 13, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  25. Zoe

I personally LOVE watching your show every day in my Social Studies class, but I don't get what is with showing something about the election EVERY SINGLE DAY! Some days, that is all you have on your show. Sure... it's interesting to some people, but not at all to others. I know the future of our nation is important, but the final election isn't until fall.

February 14, 2008 at 11:36 pm |