.
January 31st, 2008

Life without the Internet

First story in Friday's show got us thinking about just that.  Oh sure, I remember being 'Netless for part of my childhood:  LOTS more work; lots less convenience.

For me, the Internet means event and movie tickets, travel info, weather reports, keeping up with people nationwide, TONS of work research, news, and of course, this here blog!  Could we live without it?  Literally speaking, yes.  But who would want to?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Alyssa

i know that i could live without the internet, but since i'm so used to useing my laptop all the time, i would say no. The Internet is used for so many things that are helpfull to me, and let me talk to my friends. Even thoguh i can just call them, its easier just to type instead of getting an earach, and your hand hurting from holding the phone so long. Also, i would probly die if the internet wasn't availible, but then again, i would never had known about it.

January 31, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Lauren

I definently couldn't live without the internet because i'm addicted to myspace and facebook

January 31, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  3. Elizabeth

The internet mean alot to me and all my friends, it's the way we stay together. I check the weather every morning before going to school, I even shop on the internet for the store they dont have around this old city. But yes i couldnt live without the internet..Its a way of life

February 1, 2008 at 7:28 am |
  4. Frankie

Life without the internet is fine and of course, livable, but not as fun. There wouldn't be as much fun or as much knowledge about other places in the world, children wouldn't have as much expected of them and people would go about like it never existed.

February 1, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  5. Sara

It would definitly be hard to live without it, we have become very attached that it would be a national crisis to lose internet connection in the United States. It is a great resource and a fast way to learn about important issues. But living without it would seem surreal and unconnected.

February 1, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  6. andrew

y deoes the web allways fail? any1 have a comment? my internet is bad 4 life! and y shuold you get expelled for kissing!

February 1, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  7. Dylan

I could live without the enternet because i don have much time to get on.

February 1, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  8. breanna

Wow if there was no internet i might die because there would be no myspace,facebook,aim or anything else and the internet is also useful for reports so i think practically internet rocks!!

February 1, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  9. Le'Anne

Life without the internet! Wow that could be hard for some.

February 1, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  10. Jacob

I thing it would be very bad without the internet because for most people it is the best way to find out around the world, also there would be problems with the stock market and other things like that.

February 2, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  11. Tonio

The internet itself became useful for mainly two things:

First of all the joy, school, general information and all that stuff.
    But then there are also big companies which are nowadays very addicted to the internet: That all starts with emailing between business partners, changing information and finally working from your own home (in case you're ill, but important for the work). A big newspaper magazine (in the city I live) is holding its conferences via webcam-sessions over a tunneled connection; all this wouldn't be possible, if there wasn't the internet.

A big breakdown wouldn't be that tragic for us as students (no homework and boring researches, yeah), but for big and important international companies it would be one of the worst nightmare they ever had dreamed.

Tonio from Hamburg, Germany

February 2, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  12. Rosebel

haha
    it would kinda suck to just not have internet
    i mean everyone uses the internet for reseaches and talking to friends
    the internet is probably what everyone uses like almost everyday
    so you i would be so bored without the internet

February 2, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  13. Jake

i don't think i can go without the net for one day. i would go crazy if that would happen to me.i think that my life would end without the net.

February 2, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  14. Melinda

Literally, we could live without Internet, but technically we couldn't. Our lives are controlled by the internet. Businesses connect via the internet for meetings vital to the company. The Internet keeps the world connected, and by losing the Internet, the world's connections to each other will be lost.

February 3, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  15. Alli

Life without internet would be NOTHING! This world would be plain like back in the old days. There would be no MYSPACE! -_-

February 4, 2008 at 10:00 am |
  16. ~Victoria!!

Man i feel really bad for them!!! I mean i couldn't live like one day without the internet!! I seriously die when me internet isn't working!!

February 5, 2008 at 2:18 am |

People would die b/c they couldn't get on their myspace, but I wouldn't b/c i don't have one b/c i'm a good little girl!

February 5, 2008 at 10:38 am |
  18. Ellie

i dont think i could live with out it! i am always on talking to friends, emailing, gaming and researching for school. i think that without the internet, researching for school would be very hard because the library might not have the book you need and you could find that information on the internet.

February 5, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  19. charlotte

Yeah i could live without internet but why make such a big deal about it

February 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Breanna

I don't now how it would be without the internet.
    But I do Know that some people wouldn't like it.

February 6, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  21. Leah

I can stand not using the internet. Without it so many of my projects would still be unfinished, and I would probably come home from school do my homework and go to bed instead of going to my website and my favorite chats...of course I might not quite die...except from boredom.

February 7, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  22. MORTON

IF THERE WAS NO INTERNET BILL GATES WOULD JUST BE A POOR GEEK, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO .COM FIASCO, THE STOCK MKT WOULD BE LESS VOLATILE AND IT WOULD BE A VERY BORING WORLD.

February 9, 2008 at 1:12 am |
  23. Brittany

Life without the internet would be hard. I'm on the internet every day playing games and all sorts of stuff.

February 9, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  24. Lilly

There is no way I could live with out the internet. Nowa days you can do ANYTHING you want be ANYTHING you want to be. Be ANYONE! You can shop and talk to friends, work. The internet makes things so much easier. It makes the world a small place and most people now cant live without it! Im on it pretty much everyday. But its not good to get addicted to the internet. When I said I couldent live with out the internet I didnt really mean that. I could live without it but it would make my life alot harder and less fun. I dont want to live with out it. I really like it.

February 12, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  25. Peter

Life without the internet would be horrible! Most of our technology relies on computers. We wouldn't have video games or myspace.com or youtube no World of warcraft no eBay no xbox live no blogs and no cnn student news! On the other hand nobody could get addicted to the internet and none of those weird web sites. But I think most people wouldn't like it.

February 13, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  26. david

I think that steroids are wrong to use they make you stronger but they are also hazardess to your health like most drugs so if he is caught with using steroids he should be kicked off the team or be banned for a while. i think that if he was that bad that he had to use steroids that he should just quit.

February 14, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  27. Gabriela

I don't believe the world could function if we took the internet away from them right now as there are millions of people on at a given moment. Seeing as the internet is one of the fastest way to communicate and get the news around I don't believe the world would get anything done if the internet was taken away from them. Oh and it would be awesome if you sent the next Shoutout to Miss Theresa's Advisory Class in Temecula, CA. Thanks Carl you are awesome and so is your show.

February 15, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  28. April

I personally could not live without the internet! And i dont think that the world today could live without it either. We rely on it way too much to not have it. Like, we pay bills, check mail, keep up on current events, students use it to research for homework and many more. And yea im using it right now. So i dont think we could live with out. Saying we dont need internet is like telling a fish you dont need water. It just dosnt work.

February 15, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  29. jon-luke

no, I have friends in Oklahoma, North Carolina, And across town from me. living in Kansas, they are far away. i could not live without the internet. how else would i write my novel. the internet lets me keep in touch with my friends. even when i am sick. without the internet, there would be no cnn student news.

February 16, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  30. moamen

life to me without an internet is not life it is hell no way any one could live with out internet

February 21, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  31. Tiffany

Life without the Internet might be more inconvenient, but alos more safe. Because the INternet is actually very dangerous in many ways. And some people became addicted to it. I guess without the internet, I might not get use to it, at least for a while. But I think after some time, I would get use to it. Yeah, that's all.

July 22, 2008 at 7:22 am |
  32. Mandy

i could handle it. i wouldn't be happy the first few days, but i'd get used to it.

October 24, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  33. jerry

I go to school on line and I would lose out because i would not be able to go to school that would suck

January 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm |