January 29th, 2008

Year of the WHAT?

So according to the Chinese calendar, we're just days away from the Year of the Rat.  An inspiring animal?  Not exactly, but then again, neither is the pig.  And it could always be worse; imagine if you were born in the Year of the Slug.

Fortunately, the slug doesn't exist on the Chinese calendar, but what if?  I'm trying to think of some animal names that would automatically make a year seem AWESOME.  "Year of the Bull" sounds kinda cool, but I'd be a little concerned about "Year of the Hippo."  What kind of year is this going to be for you?  If you could pick any animal to characterize it, which would you choose and why?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Dagny

I'd definently name the year the year of the jaguar, they are the most amazing animals, and I think that It's going to be an amazing year for me.

January 30, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  2. Christy

I would TOTALLY name it the year of the hawk; my school's mascott is the hawk. They're so firce and graceful; they can kill like crazy also...

January 31, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  3. Caitlin

argh!! dude the chinese new year has a story behind it so trying to get new animals would just mess up 1,000's of years of tradtions. the year of the rat is known because the rat hitched a ride on the ox and right before the finish line he jumped off and got the first slot in the chinese new year. each animal sign has certain characterists that can relate to the person.

January 31, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  4. Alli

I think that this is obsurd that so many people have to camp-out at the train station because the snow storms. -_-

January 31, 2008 at 10:08 am |
  5. Frankie

Just think... "The Year of The Walrus.." mighty Mighty walrus! Awesome!!

January 31, 2008 at 10:18 am |
  6. jenn

Year of the platypus, That will show some sense of humor.

January 31, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  7. Geri-Jean

If i had to choose the name of a year than i would have to say the year of a eagle because they are wonderful animals and the fly high take care of the young ones and they are so amazing I must say.

January 31, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  8. Bobby

i would pick year of the cheetah. they are an awesome animal and they are very slick like me.

January 31, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  9. Marion

hi! my name is Marion i think it should be the year of the liger. thats a loin and a tiger!

January 31, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  10. Rachel

I would name the year the year of the shark because sharks are mysterious and they are intellegant creatures. I know I'll have times this year where i won't exactly get things in life, but sooner in life I will be very intellegant.

January 31, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  11. Eastern Heights elementry school

our class thinks that people should get saspended from the school Distric for kissin.They should just have to miss a couple days of school.

Thats not right

January 31, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  12. Alyssa

i would have to name the year the year of the Monkey. Monkey's have to be the most inteligent animal alive, and they can survive by climbing and building, to me thats awsome. Even though it already is a year in the Chinese calendar, i still think that a monkey is a great animal to start off the year with.

January 31, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  13. Alex

Caitlin is right, there are reasons for the animals. There could have been a cat, but it was tricked by the rat, so it was sort of denied. (I got this from Fruits Basket ^.^ a Manga book) I personally would like a wolf.

January 31, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  14. Alysssa

Gay rights are being fought for all over the world. How could ANYONE possibly think that they are good enough to judge wheather a person has the right to love someone or marry them just because they are the same gender. If you truly love some one NO ONE has the right to tell you that is bad. If anyone thinks that they have that type of cruel right than they need to rethink their life choices.

January 31, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Jerry DeMink, VP CNN News Services

I agree with Marion. Ligers are pretty much my favorite animal...

February 1, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  16. sabrina

i think they should have a year of the penguin in 2014!

February 1, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  17. taylor

if i was going to pick an animal i would probably want something strong yet cute so i would want to be the year of the monkey.

February 1, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  18. ~Victoria!!

I would sooooo pick the lion or cheetah!! They are both very feares (spell check) and independent creaters!!

February 5, 2008 at 2:28 am |
  19. Bull

I think year of the hawk or year of the falcon would be awesome!

February 9, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  20. Mandy

i would choose year of the fox. this years going swiftly by as a fox runs. that or maybe the year of the butterfly since there have been alot of changes throughout the year like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly.

October 24, 2008 at 7:02 pm |