.
January 24th, 2008

Well THAT struck a chord...

Today the Student News blog comment box was loaded with passionate responses on the "Learn to Earn" story. It's easily a new record, beating out posts on "Meanest Mom." Keep them coming! Getting paid to study sounds like a good deal, but what happens if the well dries up? Will the students go on strike and stop studying? Who wins then?

Jerry DeMink, VP CNN News Services

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Eileen

I think it is really wrong to pay kids just for doing schoolwork.
    They should just want to study.

January 25, 2008 at 8:19 am | Reply
  2. D.Blank

if they stop getting paid they will put even less effort in than ever before. they would be so used to getting paid, that not getting paid for it would seem unfair to them. it would be a lose lose situation.

January 25, 2008 at 10:15 am | Reply
  3. somar

I think paying students for learning and going to school is a good idea, because kids these days love to have money, and some would do anything to get money, and it would keep some kids off the streets and doing bad things, I would do it if I had the chance, i think its a pretty good idea.

January 25, 2008 at 11:23 am | Reply
  4. joe

The way the program says that students get paid for studying is good yet bad because if you pay a kid to study they will do more studying but they will not be very focused on their work and more focused on their reward although it does sound like a good idea to me because I would like a little extra cash on the side and I would be more motivated to learn and I would have money for some of my classes to get the supplies and to get into the class if a fee is needed.

January 25, 2008 at 11:26 am | Reply
  5. mark

I think it's stupid that people are risking there lives street racing. Its just stupid I mean they could loos there life it would make the peole who knew them depresed if they die. also they spend so much money making the car go fas and look cool why would you try to destroy it, it's like throuing money away.

January 25, 2008 at 11:28 am | Reply
  6. joey

i think it is stupid that people are risking there livesjust to street race. i also think thatthe police should try to do more to stop people. amd the police should not fine the people for watching because they did not do anything wrong.

January 25, 2008 at 11:29 am | Reply
  7. Dan

i think it is a good idea to pay kids who dont do homework and have bad grades. so if they study they get paid money.

January 25, 2008 at 11:30 am | Reply
  8. joe

I think that the idea of getting paid to study is great for kids who like school and need money for supplies and fees for classes but it would take the students mind of their study and onto the reward and that would make the studying for some kids but make it easier for some kids to make money and get an education and earn a couple bucks so I agree that its good because I need the money for most of my high school classes and for classes in summer to get them out of the way.

January 25, 2008 at 11:34 am | Reply
  9. Nick B

I think it's nice for students to be payed to study. Really, all the school districts want better scores. Saying that the schools want better scores, "they" made an idea to pay them which will make them study making them to ACTUALLY LEARN, leading to better scores. All in all, I think its a good idea.

January 25, 2008 at 11:38 am | Reply
  10. Chris

Obviously, in an ideal world, we could encourage students to study on their own. However, we don't live In an ideal world, and anything that gets kids to actually study is good. And, despite popular opinion, it does equip students for the real world. Working isn't about doing a good job or making yourself proud anymore, it's just about earning money. Since that's the way the world works, we should prepare people for that. It's actually a bad thing to encourage the naive notion that the world's all about working hard and stuff like that. People work because they need money, and probably not because they NEED money to buy food and clothes, but because they want to buy iPods and new cars, or a plasma TV. It's a lot lex expensive to prepare people for that mentality, than it is to try and change the way things work.

January 25, 2008 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  11. Lee

I think that getting paid for studying is a bad idea
    what is the point of getting paid
    students will only use it as and advantage
    and not actually study.
    It will encourage cheating because of the reward.

January 25, 2008 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  12. Mrs. LaRoche's 4th grade class

Students in Mrs. LaRoche's class took a vote and would like to see more scientific things and less of the political news and the election.

January 25, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  13. Jen

On the surface it seems to be a good idea. As a parent, I want my child to be educated, study, and do well in school. However, I also believe that just b/c one is studying more, it does not mean that they are necessarily learning anything. As Ben Franklin said, "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." In my opinion, the problems in the educational system are not that the children are not studying enough, It is that they have no desire to learn. Many children are bored in school. Too often, we give the children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. The issue of giving the children money to participate in the after school programs will eventually prove one thing. That is, "Ye can lead a man up to the university, but you can't make him think. "

January 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  14. Jake

In my last comment I said that the kids should not be paid because their only motivation is the money they GET FOR JUST SHOWING UP!!!!

January 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  15. Dillon G.

Stimulus Package i think that its a good thing to do the goverment to give us money but the u.s is already in enough debt . When u think about it whos acutally getting the better half of tthis deal

January 25, 2008 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  16. morgan

I think it is wrong to pay students to study becaus when they get out of school and go into college they wont study without a reward. Also i think its wrong because the students will just do it for the rewards and its pretty much just bribing kids to study.

January 25, 2008 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  17. caroline

I think that students getting paid to study isn't a good idea because they won't really learn anything. They'll always expect to get a reward for the things they do, and won't know the real meaning of hardwork.

January 25, 2008 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  18. tori

i agree with Eileen. that is wrong and they should just wanna study.I say its threatening kid's. who cares about the money we should have to earn money not get it for having to study for a couple hours.thats stupid and illegal.parents should sue . 🙂

January 25, 2008 at 7:11 pm | Reply
  19. Meg

I think this is ridiculous! Why should kids get bribed into doing their work when they're taught to work hard at it in the first place? What a waste of money. Why not donate it to charity instead? These kids will only study for the money.

January 25, 2008 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  20. Natalie

i think it is a bad idea because the kids might learn it but they will just think of the reward and forget. they should give rewards if they do good all year so they actually learn and not think about a prise that much

January 26, 2008 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  21. Zack

Wow, What can i say? I agree with most people, in the sence that that would be awholesome, But, if kids take advantage of it by saying they studied, it could turn into a big mess.

P.S. where does the money come from

January 26, 2008 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  22. Sierra

The idea of paying kids to study seems a little rediculous. You would hope that kids these days would want to do good in school, but I guess that is just how our society is, huh? If there school grades are so low, than that is just bad, they should be paying the tutors to help them overtime. And instead of paying the students. They should make them stay afterschool, but give them a ride home.so they know they can get their grades up if they can stay afterschool and get it done. Now that is all my personal opinion. Some people might think it is a good idea. But instead of studying at home as well, they might be buying things outside of shool, that might not be so helpful to them.

January 27, 2008 at 5:17 am | Reply
  23. Nathan

I think Learn to Earn is a bad idea because when people stop paying them they wont study. They'll probably do very bad when they get in collage. If they get a job they dont get payed to practice their job they only get paid to do their job.

January 27, 2008 at 9:57 am | Reply
  24. Tracy

Dr. Ben Chavis, the principal at American Indian Public Charter school in Oakland has been paying his students for good grades and perfect attendance for 8 years.

He fired all the teachers when the came. Then he started paying students and teachers for working hard and being in school. The California teachers union hates the man. Thousands of us parents think he is the best thing that ever happened to our kids.

Can you believe this? Dr. Chavis does not allow fund raising in the school. He pays for our children to take trips to Washington, DC and any other place they go.

My son is at Dartmoth College. Dr. Chavis whet to visit him and gave my son money for college.

Do you know any other principal who does this? My son is the first in our family to go to college thanks to Dr. Chavis and his approch to education. I am glad there are other schools trying some of his ideas.

January 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm | Reply
  25. Jarrett

I think this idea would get students to study, but I believe it is a bad idea. Personally, I would only end up studing for the money not my edgucation! I think that this is a bad idea because students would then only look at the money, not what their edgucation is going to do for them in the long run. If it did happen for a time & then it stopped I believe that it would make all the students go on strike until this payment returned! Kids need to look at there schooling & what they are getting out of there learning no how much money they got in that week. Students would be going to school when they are sick jsut to get their paycheck at the end of the week. This would create a unsafe inviornment for everyone in the school. This idea of paying students is a horrible idea! We must look at what it will do to the kids in the longrun & not what it does right at this moment. This is a bad idea!

January 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  26. Lucy

Students should not be getting paid to study. It's just wrong! Students should want to study to get a nice education, graduate on their own, and live a great life! They can't expect to be paid for the rest of their school years. They are practically getting paid for something they should do on their own, which is something I think is just foolish!

January 28, 2008 at 12:12 am | Reply
  27. Emily

I don't think that kids should study for money, kid's should already want to study for thier tests. So they can get good grades and a chance in to collage. Kids motivation should be to be a good student, not just for money! Teach the kids that sometimes you don't get paid to do work!

January 28, 2008 at 9:24 am | Reply
  28. Dagny

It's a bribe. That's all it is. I think that the kids should study for themselves. It's as simple as that. I know that the whole point of the Learn to Earn program is to get kids to study, but what about the kids that have been studying for a while now? What's this going to teach them? That what they have been doing for nothing, they are now getting paid to do it? If the funding stops, then what will the students do?
    They'll leave, because the money is gone. These students who are just now starting to study will not learn anything; they will not commit it to memory. All they want is to get enough money to get that new video game, or I-pod.

January 28, 2008 at 10:15 am | Reply
  29. Alli

I strongly think that the students who actually worked hard to make good grades and who do make the good grades. They work hard for pretty much nothing!-_-

January 28, 2008 at 10:18 am | Reply

I REALLY LIKE IT BECAUSE I DO HORRIBLE IN SCHOOL LIKE SOME OF THOSE STUDENTS! 🙂

January 28, 2008 at 10:20 am | Reply
  31. Rebekah

This is a good idea because these kids don't have much money. The money they get can be used for food or clothes.

January 28, 2008 at 11:24 am | Reply
  32. Ms. C's Classroom

Should students that are not trying get paid to study? I don't think so, but maybe kids that need an incentive could benifit from this.
    I am afraid some kids would just use the money and not learn.
    I think more kids would be playing dumb so they could get money. I am afraid of the impact on our education system.

January 28, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  33. cutieondraya

i think the kids should get paid because the kids are taking out there time just to study well they could be dowing other stuff. And thats so cool how there getting paid to study 8 bucks an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  34. cutieondraya

Thats so cool i highly sudjest that students should get paid to study. And who cares if the other kids dont get paid as long as iam getting paid thats ok with me.

January 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  35. cutieondraya

i think kids should get paid. Kids want to get money and want to get an education. So there doing both things that they want to get and there working for it just like a job. so If somebody wanted to say hey lets study. Would u want to do it? well i personly wouldent cause i would go outside in stead of studing. But if someone said hey lets study for are education and money. I would do that.

January 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  36. Joe

Hello All, – As a Life-long Student (I'm over 50) I have found that my $income grows proportionately to/with my real life applications of this learned knowledge. – By the way, my grandparents did give me a quarter for each 'A'. Take care and be responsible. – peace, Joe

January 29, 2008 at 9:01 am | Reply
  37. Victoria CHS, SC

I think the idea of getting paid for studying is awsome. However just think about it who would really study? I don't like to study but I do it because I know I have to. Kids would only 'fake it' just for the money and then go spend it without really learning anyway. The thought of that happening in my High school would be more chaos then it already is. The important questions is what would happen once they decide not to give money or other rewards anymore? Then what? The kids will not want to study anymore because the only reason they were doing it is just for the money when the real reward is the benifit of having a great education. I may sound like an adult thats against the idea but its how I see it. Sorry for those who really like this idea

January 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  38. ugo

Does it occur to anyone that most of those kids work to bring money in to help their family?

If pay them to study, since they are good student already, they will be excellent student. They will also have money. What is wrong with that? Why are you not complaining about scholarships?

Thanks

Ugo

January 29, 2008 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  39. Danny

I think that getting paid to study is totally bogus. The economy is bad enough without the added expense of paying students. Not to mention, students would get the message that you get paid for everything worthwhile. So much for volunteers!

January 29, 2008 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  40. lauren

getting paid to study is a really cool idea...but i think if students start getting paid then stop after a while they will stop studying and, yes, go on strike or something relavent to that...thank you...

January 30, 2008 at 8:32 am | Reply
  41. franny

i think that nothing is wrong with it if you are of an apropriate age and do it at an apropriate place.people these days don't care at all about what they are displaying, who they are displaying it with,or where they are displaying it. that is seifish because what they are doing inpacks the future geniration of this world.

January 30, 2008 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  42. Kathleen

Wow..I do not know where people get the idea that being paid for studying would help your IQ level any. Come now this is a great incentive but do you honestly think that they would come to school to learn for money? Some of you possibly could say yes but I think its stupid and a wack idea at that. People can only learn if they want to. You can't force someone to learn. So I think its retarded! Rather get rewarded for doing good than doing bad then get rewarded.

January 31, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Reply
  43. Matt

I think that money is a great motivator, but once they stopped getting paid the probably will stop studying thats what I would do.

January 31, 2008 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  44. Alyssa

Its pretty sad that schools are accually thinking about paying kids to learn. I think that you should just let kids do their thing, even if they are having trouble with their work. Mabie if you see them strugling, just try to help them, not pay them. kids my age just want money, so why would they study when they could just sit around the room and do nothing while they get money for just being there? And we all know that the only reason they are really thinking about doing this is because they want to get a higher percentage in school academics then Japan, and China. Just think about those students who accually do what they're told at school, and do great, what happends to us? We just get thrown to the side because the U.S wants to be better than another part of the world? Thats just wrong to me, and i think that they should stop even thinking about this subject, and move on with their lives.

January 31, 2008 at 11:30 pm | Reply
  45. kait

NO NO Why no do something worth while with the money?

February 1, 2008 at 12:01 am | Reply
  46. sabrina

i think that the mom was RIGHT i think that he should get his car, and have to pay 100 dollars because he could have hurt someone or got in a car crash. that was really bad of him!

February 1, 2008 at 3:57 pm | Reply
  47. ~Victoria!!

woow!!! i never thought of it that way!!"Getting paid to study sounds like a good deal, but what happens if the well dries up? Will the students go on strike and stop studying? Who wins then?"Well it still supports my theory that you should not pay students for their education!!

Also about the "meanest mom" well i personally selling it was wrong but she did the right thing taking it away!! and the fact that she actually knows and says that she is the "meanest mom" means that she knows what she did was right and i respect that!!

February 5, 2008 at 2:36 am | Reply
  48. Joey

I think it is a good idea to pay students to study for a while. It helps them build up a habbit for doing homework first then fun.

February 6, 2008 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  49. Molie

put them back on

September 5, 2008 at 4:04 pm | Reply

Post a comment

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.