.
January 15th, 2008

Talking Trash

Wednesday's first story wasn't the first time you've heard about waste disposal problems somewhere, but it might've been the first time you've seen the results in the street!  Naples has definitely seen better days.

I had a friend in college who had an ever-growing tower of fast-food bags in his kitchen garbage.  He and his roommate had a rule:  Whoever stacked the last bag that caused the whole pile to fall over had to take it all out.  Funny for them; gross for the rest of us.

But what would you do if your neighborhood were packed with stinking, sagging trash bags?  Virginia Beach managed to turn a trash heap into a skate park – Mount Trashmore Park.  Do you think something like that would be possible where you live?  What advice would you give the city of Naples, Italy?

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Carly

I think that the trash problem in Italy is very serious! I think that people shouldn't have to burn their waste to get rid of it! I think that it is very harmful to the planet. If people recycled more and were paying attention to all of the waste around them.

January 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Carly

Cont.
    there wouldn't be a problem

January 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Alice

I think it could be possible wherever there is highly-garbage-producing humans. I suggest that the people reduce the amount of garbage they produce as much as possible when the problem is not solved yet.

January 16, 2008 at 8:44 am |
  4. Cabrina

Mrs. Chick's class ((2nd period))

Okay about the Band punishment I think that the punishment was not at all severe.
    At my old school in band or Ochrestra if someone forgot their instruments or did something wrong the teacher would make that person collect the spit from the wind instruments in their hand. It was normal. Punishment is Punishment.
    The kid knows better now not to forget his instrument.

January 16, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  5. Terran

I think this is a groeing problem thhat they need to fix. They need to agree on a place to put the trash and get a way to clean it up.

January 16, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  6. David

Hi! Dear Carl!
    I am a student from Taiwan!
    After watching this news, I feel I can smell the stinky garbage.
    I think our country ever had the similar matter about garbage disposal. But, it is really a complicated problem and also related to humanity. No one wants to approach trash! Nevertheless, environmantal protection is too important that we should keep our surroundings more clean and neat!

By the way, whenever I watch student news, I can't listen your speech clearly, Maybe, it is the reason that I am not a native speaker. But, I still want to know how can I promote my listening skill? I usually listen it, but I still can't not understand all content of the news.
    And some vocabularies are a little difficult for me! Just like debacle/ incinerator!
    I think I need to recite much more vocabularies in the future!
    sincerely

January 16, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  7. Shazeen

Hi, I'm from Krueger's magnet program iMak and I just wanted to say I would defiantly move away if something like that happened to my neighborhood unless they found a way to get rid of the trash. I don’t think there is a chance of something like that happening in my neighbor hood because the trash is taken away twice a week and if for some reason it isn’t taken on one day it’s taken on the other. I think Naples should make some kind of a disposal area for the trash like a designated area or something and get people to help out.

January 16, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  8. Mrs. Morris's Class

We have something going on like your friend had in this class and we think if Naples did that too it would have less area taken up but higher trash piles.

January 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm |
  9. Alli

I think that this is OUTRAGEOUS! It is wierd and nasty! Why would someone do that to their ecosystem! I don't know if they know this, but this will influence other people to do the same!*!

January 16, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  10. Alli

Mount Trashmore Park is a funny name! ha! ha! ha!

January 16, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  11. Jonathan

i like garbage

January 16, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  12. Joseph

I think They need to do somthing now!

January 16, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  13. RARA

I think the goverment should do thier work and take care of their land cause if they dont who will

January 16, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  14. jim

they should take the trash to iraq cause no body like dem anyway

January 16, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  15. aloser

they need to stop being lazy! i said it!

January 16, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  16. jim

put the trash up theirs

January 16, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  17. Alejandro

I think that they r just being lazy and they need to clean up there mess. I think that they should open up there dumps before people start getting sick.

January 16, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  18. jim

im from kruger and they should put the trash in the ocean

January 16, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  19. loo

I think they need to stop being lazy. They should just burn their trash. Its that easy.

January 16, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  20. Brina

I think that these people are just lazy!!! If more people were lazy in the world like this the world would be filled with trash and more animals and plants would die.
    – Brina from Krueger Middle School

January 16, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  21. JOSE

well insted of investin so much money maybe they should have got a space ship and sended it in to space?? so the allians could have lunch-from krueger middle school

aka Mr Tacoz

January 16, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  22. Adrian

This is a very good story and i would like to hear more about this story

January 16, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  23. JOE

i feel sorry for the residents of italy but i belive that they should all help in disposing of the trash

January 16, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  24. Shawn

it was mess up what they did to the comunity by just throwing trash in the side of the street if it was me i would have put a beat down on the government like bourne supremence

January 16, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  25. JAG II

A kid from kruenger

I think that is gorss that they let there garabage problem get that bad.

January 16, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  26. Jack

I think that planes need to be sent in to airlift the garbage out of there. Mrs. Morrisses Class

January 16, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  27. Christine Ms. morriss class

I think that they have a reason to be complaining because thats so unhealthy and they really could and should sue. I hope that they resolve their problem in a way that won't harm the environment.

January 16, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  28. Rogelio

Todays cnn student news were ok becasue people know what people are doing in italy. the people are nasty becasue teh trow trash every were.

January 16, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  29. Josh

I think they should pay other countries to incinerate it.

January 16, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  30. Wydreon

I think that this is very nasty a wierd why don't they just pay other city to take there trash are dump it in the ocean or lake ever if that gross it is better than being in the the streets.

January 16, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  31. Jacki

i think what their going through is nasty yet a way of telling the world what can happen if trash is not taken care of properly it can pile up badly!!

January 16, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  32. Lexi

I honestly don't know what my town would do if that happened to where I live. I live in a very small town, and if we had half as much trash as Naples had, our town would probably be flooded with trash!!!

Also, what I would suggest for Naples to do is to turn all of that garbage into alternative energy. This way, not only do they get rid of the heaps of garbage, but also they would cut down on burning up fossil fuels.

January 16, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  33. Caitlin

Why don't they just recycle their garbage insted of letting it build up like that?

January 16, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  34. That dosen't Matter

I think that the goverment should do something about it.

January 16, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  35. Elaine

I'd get the school to help clean. I don't like things out of order, so I'd rather everything in its place. Trash should be in dumpsters and or in dumps. I think it would be creative to have a club for specifically cleaning up the garbage in the town. They would buy trashbags and everything that they needed to clean up the town. They wouldn't have roads blocked or piles of trash in every corner and everywhere else in the town. If the town was clean I think that the people there would feel better about their town.

January 16, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  36. Jason

This episode made since

January 16, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  37. Stephanie

The tash on the street is gross but having spit in your hand is just gross. No kid should go though that. The teachers went way to far. He should be fired and have to say sorry to the kid. All the kids should say sorry as way because they way along with it.

January 16, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  38. Derrick C.

Its just really sad that they actually let all that trash pile up that big =/

January 16, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  39. Stephanie

That is just so gross!!

January 16, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  40. Cody

I think people are stupid tese days.

January 16, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  41. Zach

I think that if the people don't actually care about where they leave there trash then they should be punished or fined for that.

ps I love jamie lynn spears!!!

January 16, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  42. Caitlin

Why don’t they just recycle their garbage insted of letting it build up like that?

January 16, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  43. TJ

I don't know why any mayor would let their city get so dirty. That doesn't look good for the city, so the mayor is probably being put to shame because of the state of the city. If I were the mayor, this situation would not be happening at all.

January 16, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  44. Anthony

My Gradad's Italian and he never knew this was going on exacly where in Italy is this? They should get more people to move all that garbage, like hippies

January 16, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  45. Alyssa

I don't think my neighborhood would ever do something like that. Throwing garbage on the street is very hazordous and can make people sick. I hope they clean that problem up soon, because many people obviously don't like that idea! Many people in my class agree.

January 16, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  46. Kayla

I think that the city officials of Naples should take action as quick as possible, not just discuss the matter and then later push it to the side. This is a hazard to all of the adults and children; it's not something that can wait to be handled. One question I am wondering right now is how come the garbage trucks haven't been picking up the garbage?

January 16, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  47. Johnny In Bowling Green, KY

I think that Naples should take quick action right now people are mad about the garbage!!!

January 16, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  48. Nikos

I relly thing the people in italy shoud do something to help lower the trash leavel. I do not fell sorry for the people because it is their own fult the trashv leavel is so high

January 16, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  49. Jessica

Just have people at the local schools who get "trash duty" pick out the things that can be recycled.

January 17, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  50. Kelsey

I really think that this is a big problem because it could happen to us someday unless we figure away to somehow disposs of trash without hurting the environment in any way so that could be the first step for them as way.

January 17, 2008 at 11:18 am |
  51. RIck

I think that if the FDA says that it is okay to eat cloned meat then it is okay to eat it. I am fine with eating cloned meat.

January 17, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  52. alisa

if that happened to me i would ask the government about wat they could do adout it?and if they didnt do anything about it i would leave to a cleaner place?and i also hink all that shows us is how poluted our planet is?i mean who likes a messy place?luv ya?

January 20, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  53. linda

ya the art is cool but its a waste of food. i mean really children in Africa are straving and this guy just wasted a bunch of food. thats just wrong.

January 20, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  54. Tiffany

thay could burn the wood in the winter to keep warm and hang out with friends. i would do that if i had to do it

January 22, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  55. Jarrett

I think they should make a law that says that people must recycle everything that can be recycled. then the city should supply the people with the needed facilities to dispose of the recylcable idems. This would cut back on all the garbage lingering in the city & it would save the envionment. A law would really help.

January 27, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  56. Antranisha W.

-"Learn to Earn"-
    I think that 's a bad idea because what about the kids who are already smart and doesn't need help,but has put so much effort into what they know and to be treated unfairly by the students who decide not to do their work or just acting like they need the help so they can get paid.It seems like they are bribing them so they can feel like they're doing something(a favor)for them not speaking in a negative tone).It seems like it doesn't matter to the school about the kids who has put in the effort and they're not even getting recognized are rewarded for their talents.
    What about the other states and the other children who needs help that might be helpful to give it a chance there and then spread it all around because some people are getting jealous.Now that's speaking on student terms but if it was fairly did it would be good(i guess).
    ~ok Laterz bye...=]

January 28, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  57. Michelle

ok that is discusting. were human beings and you shouldn't ahve even been raised that way. bad enough for you to suffer why do you have to drag everybody along in your nastiness. do everyone a favor and pick up after yourself

January 31, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  58. breanna

Woah ewww much seriously people need to pick up their trash...because think of all the germs going around thats so un-sanitary gross......IM SHIVERING FROM THE THOUGHT OF IT so do the world a favor AND PICK UP YOUR TRASH!!

February 1, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  59. Mandy

i think anybody in the USA could make something like that. and mount trashmore? it's awesome.. i go every year!

October 24, 2008 at 7:03 pm |