.
January 14th, 2008

Edible Art

Lisa Porterfield here - I write the daily curriculum materials and help put together the show. I just finished watching the Ramen noodle story and it got me thinking…. Sang Wook Lee’s sculpture is really cool, but I'm not sure if it’s art. What do you think? If you had to explain what art is to someone, what would you say? 

Lisa Porterfield, Curriculum Development Manager

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Joe

I'd say that Lee's sculpture is art because it takes something ordinary (Noodles) and makes it extraordinary. This can be compared to when Michaelangelo used powdered rocks, plaster, and water to make the Sistine Chapel.

January 15, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  2. Jesse

you would get fat if you ate all of those.

January 15, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  3. Zeke

THis Guy is Awsome.I love to eat Ramen Noddles, and to me this is art. It is art because it is please to the eyes, even if it makes your tummy rumble!!

January 15, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  4. Jesse

January 15, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  5. Lanna

I believe that what he did was awesome. He did a good expresion of art, and that's basically what art is, expresion of anything

January 15, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  6. Morgan

I think this is really neat! I think it is art because art has developed over the years and changing every day! I mean art is abstract and sometimes just plain weird. I really think its very creative because college kids eat roman noodles each day and its just really impressive that they thought of that!!

January 15, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  7. Logan

This is would be cool to do.
    He would be cool to do that.
    Art is anything that you can create.
    Please put me on the show!!!!!!!!!

January 15, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  8. Courtney

I think its a really cool idea, and i also think it is art because doesn't have to be a picture or anything like that. Art can be anything, and I think they got creative with the Ramen Noodles.

January 15, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  9. Alli

I think that this roman noodle thing is really cool but weird. I think that whatever you think is cool and if you think it is a form of art; then you can call it art if you want to! Art can be anything that is really creative. I would call tha roman noodle thing art because it is creative and it is cool and unique like I said before. We have a new form of art! Isn't that great!

January 15, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  10. Frankie

I believe that art is something that comes from inside it is feeling, beliefs, and hope all rolled into one. Art can be singing, dancing, painting, sculpting, music, andything you do can be art. Art is UNIQUENESS. You should be you, then you could be ART.

January 15, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  11. Jesse

That is a very creative idea and think that it was a lot of ramen noodles.

January 15, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  12. Sarah

I think that if you put effort into it and your enspired by something else.. it sould be considered art. Of course, art is all a matter of an opinion. My question is, how much did he pay total, and what did he do with all the flavoring packets?!

January 15, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  13. Logan

This is so cool.
    I would love to do it.
    Yeah I think it is art because its anything you can create is art.
    Everything can be art.
    I would try this some time if I had the money.

January 15, 2008 at 10:27 am |
  14. DUSTIN

I THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY AWESOME, I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE THAT, AND IT WAS REALLY CREATIVE

January 15, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  15. matt

it was amazing but a waste of roman noodles.

January 15, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  16. Zach

The Roman Noodle art is cool and all but, what are they going to do with it? Are they going to eat it?

January 15, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  17. Sam

I think it is cool that this guy can make art out of food that we eat. I hope that he will make more sculptures with different foods.

January 15, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  18. Ben

I think I would not really consider this a work of art. what i consider art is a sculpture or a painting not playing with a bunch of ramen noodles

January 15, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  19. Terran

I think that that was a fun and creative way to use the noodles. It was a new and different way to make art. I think this is art because art is just making stuff through different forms of materials.Even if they are weird.

January 15, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  20. Samantha

anything can be art. even a peice of scrap metal aranged in a certain way.Sang Wook Lee's sculpture is a very different kind of art, but a cool kind at that. he found a way to incorporate food into something some people think is boring.his next peice could be crazy or sad or even mad. i mean who dosn't love food? and even though you probly wouldnt want to eat it, it's a realy cool concept that it is possible.

January 15, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  21. Karalina

I don't think it's that great. It's noodles. Anybody could put ramen noodles together!

January 15, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  22. Savana

I think that is really cool. They need to put more things like that up in different places to show people what someone can do with random things. That must have taken a lot of effort. He used a lot of his time, and people should appreciate what that man did! His art was very inspiring, and could inspire someone to follow their dreams and be an artist!

January 15, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  23. Mr. Todd

I LOVE RAMAN NOODLES!!!! YAY!!!

January 15, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  24. Kerby

I do think this is art. It is very cool and I like it and I think more people should do art like that!

January 15, 2008 at 11:31 am |

Well, in someones's eyes that might be considered art, but i dont think it's very artistic. Honestly, if my 10 year old sister had a bunch of Ramen noodles, she would probably stack them up and call them art too.

January 15, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  26. Jacquelyn

Dear CNN,
    After having viewed your "edible art" segment, our government class became infuriated. To see that much Ramen wasted when it could be sent to people suffering from hunger, is apalling! We appreciate this artist's creativity and talent, but feel that they should use different material. The Ramen could be used in a more productive and useful way.

January 15, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  27. Psyco 99

THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!

January 15, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  28. Akin

i like the indian art

January 15, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  29. Bryson

Yes. Art is something that is creating with time and effort and things you could find every day.

January 15, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  30. Elijah

I think that using every-day food items like Ramen noodles to make art is cool. My attention span wouldn't be long enough to actually make art like that, thus I idolize them for sticking with what they started. Ramen noodles ROCK!!!!!!!!

January 15, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  31. Megan

Personally, I don't believe that the construction of the noodle building was art, but I do believe that the idea of using Ramen noodles is art in itself. Art, to me, is being creative and innovative. I don't think it took talent to make it, just to think up the idea.

January 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  32. Zach

i don't really think that the noodle sculpture is art. it is cool but its just noodles. its not a painting or something like that. art is stuff like paintings and sculptures that you actually had to sculpt. not sticking noodles together.

January 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  33. Paul

I believe that Sang Wook Lee's sculpture of Ramen noodles is art. It took him a long time to make, and it makes a picture, or some type of display. Art is not only painting, but also just expressing yourself using any of the materials around you.

January 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  34. Jordan

I think his Ramen noodles structures are really cool looking, but it isn't really art. I believe that art is more complex. The noodles are just glued together to form shapes, even elementary school kids could do that.

January 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  35. Lisa

I Eat Alot Of Ramon Noodles. Personally I Think That The Ramon Noodle Sculpture Is Art. It Is His Creativity, And No One Said There Is Any Limitation On What Art Really Is. So I Think This Is Realy Art For Sure, And Plus Its Unique And Obviously Not Easy.

January 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  36. Mikey

I think that the ramon noodle idea was pretty dumb. It is probably easily broken, and it is also a waste of money. Also, they are wasting food. There are a lot of starving kids in China that would love to have some ramon noodles. They shold have just painted a picture of a ramon noodle wall.

January 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  37. Psyco 99

This is definatly art. Art is just viewed in different manners by different people. It is very creative and unique. I wish i could think of something as "one-of-a-kind" as this.

January 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  38. Jacob

I do not believe that making sculptures out of noodles is art because it is so wasteful . There are starving humans in third world countries that would be praising God if they were to get food, and our citizens are playing with it.

January 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  39. ben

I think it is art. Its like a sculpture. I think it's more of an abstract kind of art. If it isn't art, it's architecture, which takes the same amount of skill.

January 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  40. ben

I think that this is art. It takes a lot of intellegence to make something like that.

January 15, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  41. vizzinator

I do not think this is art. stacking noodles on top of one another can not be classified as art. I think that is a ridiculous idea.

January 15, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  42. Mr. Natrop

Many of my students and I are all for freedom of expression, but what a colossal waste of food.

January 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  43. Stephen

Of course it is art! Art is anything anybody makes with time, and art can be made out of anything! (as long as it's not tottally disgusting!)

January 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  44. Sean

I think its art coming from native cultures and making it in the shape of real buildings.

January 15, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  45. Sarah

I think art is anything that you make or sculpt or whatever, to express yourself. Art is something that fascinates you.

January 15, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  46. Nathan

I think his food really is art. Art is to me creativity like a dance, song, or a design. I really like the idea of food art.

January 15, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  47. TJ

This is very interesting, but is also very unique. Just thinking of hopw long it took him to dothis makes me feel of how different and unique it is.

January 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  48. Erica

I tink it's kinda wierd but it's something that no one had tried before. If you asked me what art is you would get alot of different answers! 🙂

January 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  49. paco-taco

yes cause it is form of sculpture. art is dance music sculpture or song.

January 15, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  50. Leah

I think that it is really cool to see a sculpture made out of ramen noodles is so awsome! I mean they said it took 5 days...just to unwrap them! Maybe to celebrate their victory of the noodle art, they should eat it and invite me over to eat it too! Anyways, they did a really good job! Congratz!

January 15, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  51. Sarah

January 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  52. jaidah

i think that noodle art is a great thing and it is very creative. no one would have thaught that it was possible. some people might have thaught noodles are just for eating. but they're not only for eating

January 15, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  53. Becky

It seems to me that the wall of ramen is not really art. It just seems like a big stack of wasted food. I would say that art is something creative and unique in style, idea, and materials. Although the whole idea to make the wall out of ramen is very creative, I don't think a big pile of ramen can be classified as art.

January 15, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  54. Bryce

I've never seen any one with enough of a creative mind to make art out of food. I think that he is very creative. He had such an original idea. You would never think that you can make art from roman.

January 15, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  55. manda

well that edible art thing is really cool but like yeah um... what did they do with the Ramen noodles when they were done with them if they are done with them??? oh and what did they do with the flavor packagings? -Krueger Middle School

January 16, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  56. Krueger M.S.

I want to know what happens to the noodles do they throw them away

January 16, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  57. Mrs. Morris's Class

thats cool that dudes got some mad skill can he make something out of spagetti

January 16, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  58. elena

what is going to happen to all the noodles when your done with them?
    why would you make art instead of eating the noodles?

January 16, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  59. Araceli and Jamariah

Honestly I think that the noodles he used is a waste of food, all those kids starving and there he is wasting all those noodles but other than that I think it looked pretty cool!!

January 16, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  60. Heaven

it was awsome , I wish I could have seen it in person! Wonder what he is doing with all that food?

January 18, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  61. Crunchee

Wow, what a waste of food. This guy could have helped alot of starving people if he would have thought of that instead of making some stupid sculpture (which didn't look like anything, mind you).

January 22, 2008 at 9:46 am |
  62. Lex

I think it's cool when people make sculpture out of ordinary stuff. I wold love to see thees sculptures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  63. morgan

I think it is a waste of food but it is also interesting.

January 25, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  64. TACO

I LOVE RAMAN NOODLES!!!! YAY!!!.

January 31, 2008 at 11:59 am |
  65. sabrina

I think that this is very creative and i would love to see it. I eat noodle all the time but i did not now that they were going to make a museum out of them!

January 31, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  66. Zachary

I think it is a work of beauty. Would you be able to make a wall of Ramen Noodles? Also,I wonder how many carbs are in all those noodles? Dinner's ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  67. Juliann

In Africa there are Children who go to bed hungry eveynight. Yet some one felt it was a good idea to waste the time and resorces to make a sculpture out of noodles?

January 31, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  68. taylor

i think that the art was pretty cool.top ramen is really good, i eat it all the time.

February 1, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  69. ~Victoria!!

Haha!!! I LUV ROMAN NODDLES!! its amazing how creative people can be!!

February 5, 2008 at 2:43 am |