January 10th, 2008

Maternity Leave for Students?

At some point, you've probably had a teacher who went on maternity leave.  (I remember hoping our substitutes would totally let us slack off until they started clamping down on the original teachers' curriculum.  Oh, well...)

By law, working moms get maternity leave; some working dads even get paternity leave.  But Thursday's program brought you an interesting debate about whether Denver's pregnant high school girls should get maternity leave.  What's your opinion on all this?  Should pregnant students be eligible for a benefit that working mothers get?  And what about paternity leave:  Should young fathers get time off as well?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. 4th Period Class

The concensus in my 4th period class was that offering maternity leave to students would only encourage girls to get pregnant because it would be making it easier for them instead of discouraging them from taking risks and not using condoms in the first place.

January 10, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  2. Liz

carl,
    i think that they should get maternity leave. its their choice if they want to get pregnent. if they feel that they are mature enough and ready and able to support this child and are able to bring it into a good family then i say go ahead. they deserve maternity leave if they can do all that. personally, i myself, would probably wait a little longer to have a child but thats my lone opinion. i hope you get alot more comments on this interesting segment. p.s. you are doing great on CNN. keep up the good work! bubye!

January 10, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  3. ~Bigbird~

Honestly, a person that is going to have a baby is not just like oh wow im having a baby, i didnt know that would happen. They are the ones that are going to have one so if a girl wants to go on maternity leave from school, they should have to get the work so that they can catch up or they will forget it all.

oh and by the way CNN, you guys act like if a girl has a baby you felt sorry for them in the news you had the 10th or 9th, it was there choice to do what they did in the first place..
    ~BIG BIRD~

January 11, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  4. Jesse

They should have maternity leave so they can finish their education. This will give a much better future to the mother and baby.

January 14, 2008 at 3:56 am |
  5. Nikos

i think that the mom over reacted

January 14, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  6. cheezit

i think that the mom should of givin him another chance.

January 14, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  7. kayla

I think the mom was very unfair. She could have kept the car but not let him drive it for a certain amount of time. And if that problem should arise again then she could sell the car.

January 14, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  8. jefra

just watched Juno....mmmm.....makes you think about all that....xo

January 15, 2008 at 1:09 am |
  9. Darious

Yes they should have Maternity leave but with a tutor so the wouldnt get left behind. they deserve that chance no matter what mistake they made. The child deserve that at least.

January 15, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  10. Mr. Todd

They should'nt even be debating this, i mean why should'nt students get a maternity leave when school faculty does?? The students are going throught the same things involved with pregnancy that the pregnant faculty does.

January 15, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  11. Kerby

After hearing this I thought about it more and more and I have decided that it was prolly the craziest thing I have ever heard. I think this because I know lots of people that have gotten pregnant in high school and i think if they do this then it will make the girls think that it is okay to have children and it is not right!!

January 15, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  12. Zach

Students in High School shouldn't be getting pregnant anyways. If high school girls got maternity they wouldn't be afraid to have a baby.

January 15, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  13. Leah

Maternity leave is a good idea, but teens should really be more into school, not each other.

January 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  14. raptor

I think they get materiny leave and paterinty leave. [ sorry for the spelling]

January 15, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  15. Hector

I think that the women should get off but the men should have to stay

January 15, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  16. Teen

You're talking about high school students right? Maternity leave for high school students? Are you joking? If they are going to do the deed then the should be responsible enought to fully protect themselves to keep things like that from happening. It's not like it's hard to do! Maternity leave for children is a joke. It's just another excuse for kids to skip school, only on a much more serious level. Pregnancy is not a joke, and people need to take it more seriously.

January 15, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  17. Heaven

They shouldn't even be pregnant..... They are stupid to do so, I say they must stay in school, that shouldn't even be a option.

January 18, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  18. jaidah

thatis a great idea

January 20, 2008 at 2:14 am |
  19. shrekbabe

a personal friend of mine got pregnant last year, but now she is back in school and doing everything WHILE taking care of her baby. She has a good future ahead of her. However, that is NOT the case with most teenage pregnancies. Girls drop out of school and ruin their lives. They might as well have this maternity leave so that they can keep in school, since a school in my area already has a daycare.

January 22, 2008 at 9:50 am |
  20. Tiffany

Yes i think thay should get off

January 22, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  21. Alli

I don't think that students should get maternity leave because they shouldn't even get pregnant in the first place. In my opinion, I think that they should only get maternity leave if they were forced/made to have "it" by another person!!! so sad!-_-

January 24, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  22. Sara

It sounds tempting but it's not the same to study for monet and to study for the grade. I think it may help some people, so its worth a shot.

January 24, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  23. AmandaC

Maternity leave is the most ridiclous thing ive ever heard of when concerning students these girls have already chosen their lifestyle if they want to go back for their ged then let them but be reasonable.

January 25, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  24. Meg

I agree with what most other people are thinking... WHAT? They should not receive maternity leave for a bad choice they've made. This only encourages them.

January 25, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  25. Holly

I was a little mixed of opinions when I first read this....However, after pondering...We are talking high school adolescents.... We need to get out of the thinking "everyone wins in this game"... We need to reiterate the consequences that people will receive for foul judgement. I mean, who literally PLANS to start his or her family at 15? Those are called "accidents"... I do understand that the young couples HAVE taken the choice of keeping the baby, BUT, they should know that there are going to be more hardships along the way. Then comes in the debate, will we only be putting a hampering on the unborn's life by not giving in? Millions of questions, millions of debates; however, there have been mothers that have the child, become successful. Although, there are mothers who go the other direction.
    I believe that there should not be an alotted "maternity leave act", but there should be some way that the young mother could continue her education.....GED.....

January 28, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  26. evelyn

They should have home schooling that way after there pregnacy they can learn things with out missing out on school.

January 30, 2008 at 3:04 pm |