December 4th, 2007

SLACKER

All right, I'll admit it:  I've been slacking on the blog a bit.  Assisting with production, voicing a few Shoutouts, and putting together Tuesday's "Co$t of Christmas" report have kept me busy these past few days.  But I really hope you liked that holiday piece - while researching it, I read that the lyrics are several hundred years old, and you can kinda tell by the gifts themselves:  geese, pipers, calling birds.  Who now wants any of those?  The only kind of partridge most of my friends know about is the family.

Today's list would look more like, "Xbox, Wii, gift cards, clothes, bike, watch, jewelry."  I'm not trying to say we're all materialistic; I just think it's interesting to see how the desired materials have changed.  After all, what are you gonna do with 11 pipers piping:  tell them to stop so you can hear your new music?

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. david

i think the lady should be released .

i agree with the mexican people

by david

December 4, 2007 at 4:59 pm |
  2. COLTON

Wow. I think that the myspace tradegdy is HORRIBLE! I think that the mother and her daughter, who were messing around with the girl, and went a little TOOO far! I think they should @ least put them in in jail for 5 or more days for hurting someone soo bad, that they kill themselves. I don't think there needs to be a law for something like this. IT'S REDICULOUSS!

December 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm |
  3. Kevin

We are very materialistic, and we cannot hide from that. The rise of the technology such as televisions and MP3 players are what this decade will probably be remembered for. Just like the thirties were for the Great Depression. I believe that desired materials have changed, and it probably will change the way Christmas was from the past. A toy truck might be replaced by a new Wii game, and a football might be replaced with an Ipod. But as long as we remember the days where a kid could sit on Santa's lap and wish for a pony or a tricycle, the classic holiday spirit will not be forgotten.

December 4, 2007 at 6:46 pm |
  4. Connor

hey carl,

it's Connor (came into work with mrs. Krache). I found it funny to see that a lot of what you listed (xbox, gift cards, clothes) are on my Christmas list. I think that now-a-days we are kind of materialistic.

December 4, 2007 at 8:20 pm |
  5. Garrison

Yeah, we are very materialistic. We always have to have stuff that costs over like $100. It's not like we need that stuff. For example: when my dad and mom were little it was a privilege to play outside. They didn't have stuff like an xbox or a wii when they were little. Like us they also didn't get to watch T.V. every day after work or school. Just saying we need to get our Christmas spirit back.

December 4, 2007 at 9:30 pm |
  6. Jovan

I think that she shouldn't go to jail, but be only a little punished, even if she didn't know!?

December 5, 2007 at 12:01 am |
  7. Jovan

The Myspace thing.......just......WOW....! I really can't believe that a girl would suicide herself because of that boy! I think whoever sent that hatred message to that girl should be in juvenile! JUVENILE!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2007 at 12:09 am |
  8. Coach Markatos-Pappas

My students watch the student news everyday in my world affairs class! They love it! Thanks for bringing so much of the world into our classroom. They almost all got the shout out on Sudan today right because we are studying Africa. TIt was the perfect tie in. The news is becoming important to them and they are making connections with their world. Thanks for all your hard work. We appreicate it at Joliet Township High School in Joliet, IL.

December 5, 2007 at 12:23 am |
  9. Joseph from Mrs.Mayer's class

Materialistic is a great word to describe todays people... Always wanting things! I agree with Garrison. I think that we all just want to have things so we can brag. Most things in life aren't cheep, but somethings are ridiculously priced...and we still buy that stuff. I agree with Garrison for that is a great point at it was a privilege to play outside. I encourage you to play outside in the snow and have fun...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS... Thanks for listening...

December 5, 2007 at 8:32 pm |
  10. jefra

Nice to see you blogging again!

xoxo

December 5, 2007 at 11:37 pm |
  11. Dustin

The holiday times have definitely changed for sure. One thing that is most evident is the Christmas items hitting the shelf before Thanksgiving is even gone and past. We are probably more materialistic now, but maybe it stands out now more simply because of what we do want at holiday times. I think it would be interesting to see how much the items from the song originally cost if anyone took the time to add it up when it was first written. In some cases I think that many items on the Christmas lists this holiday will be even more expensive than those of the song.

December 5, 2007 at 11:37 pm |
  12. Rachel

We are too materilistic! I mean in that song they want a goose or something simple that would actually HELP them. The kid that wants a wii or something; is that helping you (or any one else) or making your life simpler? Dont get me wrong, I like exchanging presents at Christmas just as much as the next kid, but be humble and dont expect so much. I'm sure you dont spend that much on your parents.

December 13, 2007 at 3:38 pm |