.
November 5th, 2007

Could You Live without TV?

On Tuesday, we aired an interesting report about the writers' strike in the entertainment industry.  Some entertainment execs said they were covered; between stockpiled scripts and reality shows, there wouldn't be much of a break in their programming.  Of course, that didn't go for late-night TV.

But let's imagine for a moment that this strike were to affect every show you normally watch.  Could you live without television?  If there were nothing on but reruns, would you watch them anyway, or would you spend more time reading, playing sports, watching DVDs, gaming, picking on your little brother...?

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Wagner

Certainly, I think that there are excellent oppitions for substitute the TV. Nowadays, internet is more interesting that TV programs, there you can see a documentary and search more information about its, after this you can talk with virtual friends, create one blog about the documentary, obtain more opionions. Finally, you are in action while on TV your position will be passive.

November 7, 2007 at 6:32 am |
  2. everhart_37

i could live without t.v., however, a few shows need to still resume that i love to watch. i do watch movies, but not as often as most people, so the lack of movies arent really going to bother me.

November 7, 2007 at 10:10 am |
  3. Mrs. Painter

Mrs. Painter's 4A class had the following to say about whether or not they could live without TV:

Amber: I would just bug my little sister and go out with friends.
    Jordon: I would play football and basketball outside.
    Delaney: I would read because it's like a movie in my mind, playing out the story in my head.
    Ashley G: I would play on my brother's laptop and listen to my iPod.
    Katie: I couldn't live without tv because it's a great way to relax so I would watch the reruns. I already watch reruns of Law and Order.

Looks like the consensus is that there are lots of other things to do other than watch tv, but we watch a lot of tv because it's addictive and fun.

November 7, 2007 at 3:47 pm |
  4. Dustin

Living without TV I could do. However living without the occasional movie would be more difficult. One show that would be affected that I watch is CSI. Although they may have a few shows scripted already if the day comes that they don't reruns would eventually get boring. Some say the strike will last a while, but I think it mainly depends on how desperate producers are and how bad they need the writers back, that will decide when and how a decision is reached.

November 7, 2007 at 4:21 pm |
  5. Mr. Browder

My 6B class says the following:

Only 15% of my students said they could not live w/o TV.
    Arturo: there wouldn't be anything to do.
    Beth: TV is a luxury and we could do other things
    Jake: too many people spend too much time watching TV
    Adam: stop watching, go outside, and quit being obese
    Chelsey: TV is over-rated. Too much drama!!!
    Harrison: Hard to get news w/o the Colbert report!

November 8, 2007 at 11:18 am |
  6. devin

i was just wondering how do u do an shout out from our 7th grade world studies class??????!!!!!!!!1

November 8, 2007 at 9:10 pm |
  7. Brittany

Yes I can live with out television because it is alot for me to do like study, play the game, and go outside, play sports. Columbia High School

November 9, 2007 at 3:31 pm |
  8. mariah

i cannot live without tv.i would nearly die.you would be bored in the house with nothing what so ever to do.

November 10, 2007 at 7:42 pm |
  9. Erica

I will live without TV for a little will not for long becuase I'm mostly out side with my friends. Dut when I'm not with my friends sometimes watch TV or play with my sister or by myself. Bye I have to go!

November 16, 2007 at 12:36 pm |
  10. Megan

I think that I would be able to do without tv. I don't really watch that muc tv anyway. There's only a couple shows that I do watch every week so I think I would be ok with no tv. As long as I could still watch movies and have my music then I would still survive. If I had to do without music that would be a different story. haha

November 18, 2007 at 6:11 pm |
  11. Zyle

Living without TV I could do. However living without the occasional movie would be more difficult. One show that would be affected that I watch is House. Although they may have a few shows scripted already if the day comes that they don’t reruns would eventually get boring. Some say the strike will last a while, but I think it mainly depends on how desperate producers are and how bad they need the writers back, that will decide when and how a decision is reached. i would also like to add, that i absolutly luve the Kansas Jayhawks of Lawrence, #1

November 29, 2007 at 12:35 pm |
  12. Phil

I would hate it if there was know T.V. Somebody needs to do something about this.

November 30, 2007 at 9:23 am |

It would be very hard. I could say I wouldn't care but that would be a lie. I am a very active kid and I don't really watch that much show during the day but i would be so hard for me to live without night time shows. I need to watch Prison Break, Heros, and Lost. All those shows are so addictive. I bet I could last a couple months before I went nuts. T.V is one of the things I do and it would be hard to give up my favorite shows.

November 30, 2007 at 9:24 am |
  14. Eliot

NO I could not live without TV. Watching television is how I get entertained, how I get news, and how I watch sports. I think about everyone in the world that has a television watches it because it is convenient and much more affordable. Plus you can watch TV shows, movies, sports, and that’s only the beginning, it’s like an endless newspaper. Without TV I think I would go mad.

November 30, 2007 at 9:28 am |
  15. Judith

I think i can because i don't see that much and tv takes your mind off

December 3, 2007 at 11:16 am |
  16. Tristan

I would hate to live without T.V. your missing gaming,DVD's if that happend I would
    not want to be born.

December 3, 2007 at 11:17 am |
  17. Hunter

I could live without tv easly because i dont watch that much anyway.Because i think tv is a waste of time.

December 3, 2007 at 3:10 pm |
  18. williamsn2014

On the problem about he teacher being arrested for having a teddy bear named Mohamad like do think it might have been a coincidence for the bear being named Mohamad.

December 3, 2007 at 3:11 pm |
  19. Bryan

I could not live without tv because i like to watch movies and see cartoons.

December 3, 2007 at 3:12 pm |
  20. Conchita R.

Well I can sort of live without t.v. But like somebody else said I still would like to see some shows. But I can ignore the t.v. by playing my flute,reading,and playing outside.

December 3, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  21. Henry

I couldn't live without tv. maybe I could but I would like tv to be around.I think it is good enternaing

December 3, 2007 at 4:43 pm |
  22. Johanna

Yes, I could live without televsion. Watching television is not a bad thing, but there are so many other things you can do than being a couch potato, watching your favorite cartoons. I would rather be playing sports, going on the computer, watching movies, and talking on the phone. Playing a sport, like soccer can make you active and not being a lazy kid. Going on the computer you can talk to your friends and do some of your homework. Watching movies is a great thing your family and friends can bond to. Talking on the phone is not really a good thing, but you’re still doing something than nothing.

December 3, 2007 at 8:14 pm |
  23. Johanna

Yes, I could live without television. Watching television is not a bad thing, but there are so many other things you can do than being a couch potato, watching your favorite cartoons. I would rather be playing sports, going on the computer, watching movies, and talking on the phone. Playing a sport, like soccer can make you active and not being a lazy kid. Going on the computer you can talk to your friends and do some of your homework. Watching movies is a great thing your family and friends can bond to. Talking on the phone is not really a good thing, but you’re still doing something than nothing.

December 3, 2007 at 8:18 pm |
  24. Joseph from Mr.Mayer's class

NO TV!?! Oh, that okay I can live... the only trouble is that now TV stations are now going to play reruns and "real life" shows, American Idols and things like that. Hopefully no news station goes on strike, WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT CNN STUDENT NEWS?

Thanks for listening

December 3, 2007 at 9:35 pm |
  25. B

No way. Not at all.

December 4, 2007 at 2:28 pm |
  26. Mary

I would probably be able to live without TV. I don’t really watch that many shows except for American Idol and Desperate Housewives. I would most likely survive without TV.

December 4, 2007 at 2:42 pm |
  27. Sae

I think I can live without TV. I normally dont watch TV, I mean i dont have time to watch it !! XO And i check the news with computers and so i use the computers a lot more. The only thing i miss if there are no TVs, is that the sports news that my family watches every day... But for me i'm no gonna be in really trouble even though if there are no TVs.

December 4, 2007 at 2:42 pm |
  28. sophie

of course you can live without it, but it does give us an extra thing to talk about with people. you might say "hey did you see that last night?!" and youll start a conversation like that. I have met new people and new friends just by talking about a show or tv or movies!! and if we banned tv's, i definatly think that it would be harder for some scientists or health specialists do do their work if they are studying that somehow invloves tv's. its almost like a normal part of a humans society now.
    xoxo, sophie

December 4, 2007 at 2:43 pm |
  29. MATTHEW

No! T.V. is awesome. So is CNN it is my favorite place for news updates. CNN is awesome and especially Carl Azuz.

December 4, 2007 at 2:45 pm |
  30. Ashlyn

I dont think i could make it with out T.V.

December 4, 2007 at 3:18 pm |
  31. jonathan @ baker 6th grade

I would live without tv I would just play games

December 4, 2007 at 3:21 pm |
  32. Garrison

I think everybody could live without T.V.. Unless you have some kind of medical problem saying that you have to watch T.V.. There are a bunch of other things that we can do instead of watching tv. Here are some examples: play football, play baseball, play soccer, hang out with friends, play with friends, talk to girlfriend, these are all examples of things you can do instead of watching tv.

December 10, 2007 at 8:35 pm |
  33. marine

I think we can resist tv x3

March 17, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  34. maria

Although TV is very important, we can live without it.
    It's difficult but not impossible.

March 17, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  35. miss marta

i could live very well without television. i could watch movies,play my bass,gaming. i think television has become a virus that has spread around the world. although i could live without tv, i know that a lot of people couldn't. i think that nowaday's tv shows are very bad and are not educational at all. Take big brother for example. what kind of show is that?! whats the point in observing what a bunch people do in a houde everyday?

March 17, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  36. Joana

No, I couldn't, because in my free time i like watching a little bit of tv (for example: movies and series).
    And in my opinion i think that people who say that can leave without tv, don't really know how addicted they are to Tv.

March 17, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  37. Hugo

Yes I could live without tv, because there are more important things to do besides tv. Things like studying, listening to music, help in domestic chores. we can't be addicted to tv because watching too much tv brings us too many problems related to our health socialising with other people and making friends.

March 17, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  38. maria

* It would be difficult but not impossible.

March 17, 2009 at 11:15 am |